PDA

View Full Version : Local Brownback approval rating lower than Obama's in mostly Repub state

banyon
01-29-2012, 12:02 PM
Brownback has lower approval rating than Obama

http://crooksandliars.com/files/vfs/2011/11/brownbacksam102.jpeg

Is it possible more Kansans approve of President Obama’s job performance than Gov. Sam Brownback’s? That was the result of the latest SurveyUSA poll, conducted by KWCH, Channel 12, from a sample of 523 registered Kansas voters that was 46 percent Republican, 25 percent Democratic and 28 percent independent. The poll found that 38 and 36 percent of those surveyed approved of the job performance of Obama and Brownback, respectively. They were less neck and neck in disapproval ratings – 56 percent for Obama and 49 percent for Brownback. The governor’s approval had slipped 4 percentage points since November. Meanwhile, 41 and 40 percent of those polled approved of the job performance of Sens. Jerry Moran and Pat Roberts, respectively.

http://blogs.kansas.com/weblog/2012/01/brownback-has-lower-approval-rating-than-obama/

Also the latest boneheaded move:

Brownback blocks $22M in state aid to KBA
Posted: January 24, 2012 - 3:20pm

By Tim Carpenter
THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL

Gov. Sam Brownback's administration put a hold on $22 million earmarked for the Kansas Bioscience Authority, officials said Tuesday, despite an audit showing investment decisions by the agency to have been sound.

KBA was created in 2004 by the Kansas Legislature to invest up to $580 million in formation of a bioscience industry.

"We need to know where the money is," said Sen. Carolyn McGinn, a Sedgwick Republican and chairwoman of the Senate's budget committee.

In response to the audit, Brownback proposed a moratorium on new KBA spending and establishment of new commitments to bioscience companies.

He said purse strings should remain closed until the Legislature determined whether the audit required management reform at KBA.

A $15 million transfer from the state treasury to KBA was stopped in November, said Alan Conroy, director of the nonpartisan Kansas Legislative Research Department.

"So far," he said, "it's not been done."

"Why hasn't it?" replied Sen. Ruth Teichman, a Stafford Republican on the Senate budget panel.

A spokeswoman for Brownback didn't immediately have an explanation of what authority was relied upon to withhold money from KBA.

A separate $7 million allocation destined for KBA, according to the Kansas Department of Revenue, also has been delayed, said KBA board chairman Dan Watkins. This money is part of funding previously made available to KBA.

David Vranicar, interim president of KBA, said the unexpected shortage of financing hadn’t resulted in the agency backing away from payments obligated to bioscience companies.

"That has not happened, but it will happen," he said. "Eventually, we'll have a problem."

Typically, KBA receives $35 million annually from the state to advance job creation in the biosciences.

KBA has $85 million in reserve accounts, officials said. Overall, the authority has committed to spending about $200 million and allocated approximately $85 million of that total.

House Minority Leader Paul Davis, D-Lawrence, and Senate Majority Leader Jay Emler, R-Lindsborg, said they weren't convinced financial impediments should be thrown in KBA's path.

"I don't believe that is necessary," Davis said. "It will interfere with our ability to create jobs in the bioscience sector and help build the Kansas economy."

Emler said bioscience companies deserved prompt definition of KBA's future.

"We need to resolve issues with KBA as quickly as possible so we don't have any economic uncertainty," he said.

The financial issue involving KBA investments was part of fallout following publication Monday of a $960,000 audit of the authority's investments, contracts, expenditures and personnel actions.

Jim Snyder, with the audit firm BKD, told members of the Senate Ways and Means Committee the review pointed to improper expenditures, document destruction and questionable personal relationships by Tom Thornton, who resigned as KBA president in April as controversy about the agency swirled in the Legislature.

The forensic audit of the Olathe-based authority indicated the KBA board of directors' handling of the investment portfolio to have been handled in an acceptable manner, he said.

Snyder said there was nothing uncovered in the auditing process that required introduction of legislation to reform operations at KBA.

Thornton resigned when pressure from Brownback and state legislators who advocated for the comprehensive audit.

SNR
01-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Most people saw his running for Kansas governor as a way for him to add seasoning to his resume for a future presidential run after he failed miserably in 2008.

It seems Brownback needs more salt.

patteeu
01-29-2012, 01:00 PM
That's pretty impressive. I'm a little surprised he was popular enough to be elected in the first place. And I don't see how he can have any hope to someday be president.

http://kod-gaming.com/dc/Brownback.jpg

SNR
01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
That's pretty impressive. I'm a little surprised he was popular enough to be elected in the first place. And I don't see how he can have any hope to someday be president.

http://kod-gaming.com/dc/Brownback.jpgWith what he's doing in Kansas right now, he's pissing the hell out of everybody. Even religious conservatives in the state probably have a sinking feeling that Brownback doesn't seem to know exactly what he's doing.

HonestChieffan
01-29-2012, 01:16 PM
What have they gotten for their investment to date in this deal? Any reason to believe they can get any return for the money?

banyon
01-29-2012, 07:57 PM

http://kod-gaming.com/dc/Brownback.jpg

Yeesh! That reminds me of some of those Gary Johnson for President events.

It seems like some bigwig with the Washington religious politicos like Gary Bauer or someone must have told him "Sam you're the guy". He was told this like 15 years ago, but hasn't realized that they've all moved on by now.

But seriously, even if I were a conservative Kansas Republican, nearly everything that has come out of his office has been botched. He appears to either be incompetent, or has very poor judgment in picking incompetent staff who he can't won't get rid of. I've actually heard someone on the Wichita public affairs TV show make this claim. They said that people have complained that Brownback is far too loyal to staff who may not be capable. They said these are the same staff he's had around him for 20-25 years who have essentially been promoted past their competency level.

Cave Johnson
01-30-2012, 10:34 AM
In related Kansas crazy/incompetent news.....

http://www.examiner.com/democrat-in-national/kansas-speaker-o-neal-asks-house-gop-to-pray-for-obama-s-death

Kansas House Speaker Mike O’Neal is under fire after asking Republican House members to pray for President Barack Obama’s death. O’Neal made the request via an email he forwarded to GOP colleagues in the House. In an email sent in December, O’Neal asked his fellow Republicans to pray Psalm 109, which contains the following lines:

Let his days be few; and let another take his office.
Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.

Your move, Oklahoma.

InChiefsHell
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM

http://www.examiner.com/democrat-in-national/kansas-speaker-o-neal-asks-house-gop-to-pray-for-obama-s-death

Your move, Oklahoma.

Heh. I had some fundamentalist lay this line on me a few years ago, claiming that this scripture line is actually all about Obama. The funny thing is, if you read the whole thing in context, it would actually make Obama out to be the good guy. Typical cherry picking fundamentalist bible reading.

No, I don't want to start a fight with the fundamentalist Christians either. I'm just saying, many are a little overzelous when it comes to interpretation of scripture.

KILLER_CLOWN
01-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Heh. I had some fundamentalist lay this line on me a few years ago, claiming that this scripture line is actually all about Obama. The funny thing is, if you read the whole thing in context, it would actually make Obama out to be the good guy. Typical cherry picking fundamentalist bible reading.

No, I don't want to start a fight with the fundamentalist Christians either. I'm just saying, many are a little overzelous when it comes to interpretation of scripture.

Agreed, incredibly dumb to pray bad things to happen to someone else.

HonestChieffan
01-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Agreed, incredibly dumb to pray bad things to happen to someone else.

You never heard of Herm Edwards?

blaise
01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Right, I'm sure he was praying for his death and wasn't referencing the line about another taking his office.

Cave Johnson
01-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Right, I'm sure he was praying for his death and wasn't referencing the line about another taking his office.

Fatherless and widow are ambiguous?

KILLER_CLOWN
01-30-2012, 11:03 AM
You never heard of Herm Edwards?

I guess I missed it, what are you referring to?

blaise
01-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Fatherless and widow are ambiguous?

Did you quote two lines from the psalm, or just one?

And have you read his entire actual email?

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:22 AM

At last — I can honestly voice a Biblical prayer for our president!” O’Neal wrote. “Look it up — it is word for word! Let us all bow our heads and pray. Brothers and Sisters, can I get an AMEN? AMEN!!!!!!

Go Chiefs.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:23 AM

He's since apologized for it.

So you're arguing on behalf of somebody who's pleaded guilty to it being wholly inappropriate.

blaise
01-30-2012, 11:26 AM
He's since apologized for it.

So you're arguing on behalf of somebody who's pleaded guilty to it being wholly inappropriate.

He said it was inappropriate. He didn't say that it was meant to pray for Obama's death, which is what Pittsie said he did.

blaise
01-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Go Chiefs.

I don't see the psalm quoted there.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
He said it was inappropriate. He didn't say that it was meant to pray for Obama's death, which is what Pittsie said he did.

He said he made a grave mistake in implying it.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't see the psalm quoted there.

You said "I'm sure he just meant one part of it, and not the crazy offensive part."

What upset people was that he directly implied all of it, "word for word."

blaise
01-30-2012, 11:44 AM
You said "I'm sure he just meant one part of it, and not the crazy offensive part."

What upset people was that he directly implied all of it, "word for word."

You realize people sometimes quote particular portions of psalms, right?

InChiefsHell
01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
What kills me is if these guys were truly trying to be Christians, they'd be praying their asses off for the President. I pray for Obama and I think he's the worst President in the History of the USA, but I certainly pray for him.

For him to say that he "finally" has a prayer he can say for our President speaks volumes about his Christian faith.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
You realize people sometimes quote particular portions of psalms, right?

Was not made remotely clear by his email that he meant any particular part of it, other than the entire part.

Which he's since admitted and apologized for.

So stop going to bat for someone who's already taken the base.

blaise
01-30-2012, 11:46 AM
He said he made a grave mistake in implying it.

He said the intent wasn't that he was praying for Obama's death. What he said was:
"The forward contained a single verse and was only intended as election commentary regarding the president's days in office."

So, please continue acting as if he admitted to praying for Obama's death.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
What kills me is if these guys were truly trying to be Christians, they'd be praying their asses off for the President. I pray for Obama and I think he's the worst President in the History of the USA, but I certainly pray for him.

For him to say that he "finally" has a prayer he can say for our President speaks volumes about his Christian faith.

Rep.

blaise
01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Was not made remotely clear by his email that he meant any particular part of it, other than the entire part.

You're claiming he's admitted to praying for Obama's death?

Yes or no.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
He said the intent wasn't that he was praying for Obama's death. What he said was:
"The forward contained a single verse and was only intended as election commentary regarding the president's days in office."

So, please continue acting as if he admitted to praying for Obama's death.

Heh, nice.

As you well know, I've done no such thing, Scarecrow.

What's he apologized for, blaise?

If he's got nothing to apologize for, that is.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:49 AM
You're claiming he's admitted to praying for Obama's death?

Yes or no.

The price of tea in China.

That was an option, right?

blaise
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Heh, nice.

As you well know, I've done no such thing, Scarecrow.

What's he apologized for, blaise?

If he's got nothing to apologize for, that is.

He's apologizing for sending an email referencing a psalm that could be perceived to be praying for Obama's death. It doesn't mean he prayed for Obama to die, which is what Pittsie said he did. Which is what I said Pittsie doesn't know. You seem to know his intent somehow though. I really don't know how.

So, he didn't actually apologize for praying for Obama's death. Regardless of your attempts to frame your posts to imply that he did.

Cave Johnson
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
On further review, the widow/orphan part is in the next verse. So he's only implying it, rather than outright endorsing it. Crafty guy, that Mike O'Neal.

Also, apologies for the threadjacking, Banyon.

blaise
01-30-2012, 11:56 AM
The price of tea in China.

That was an option, right?

So, you don't know that his intent was that he prayed for Obama to die.

He referenced a psalm that included lines about removing a politician from office, as well as lines that included violence as an option. You don't know if he just referenced 109:8 or not. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

Pittsie says he prayed for him to die.

I say O'Neal's intent may have been that just the line about removing him from office.

But you and Pittsie somehow know that his intent was one and not the other, how?

Edit: I see that Pittsie has posted since I posted this to say there's no way to know the intent.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 11:58 AM
He's apologizing for sending an email referencing a psalm that could be perceived to be praying for Obama's death. It doesn't mean he prayed for Obama to die, which is what Pittsie said he did. Which is what I said Pittsie doesn't know. You seem to know his intent somehow though. I really don't know how.

So, he didn't actually apologize for praying for Obama's death. Regardless of your attempts to frame your posts to imply that he did.

You're inventing something out of nothing re: what you think I think he thinks.

But we largely agree on the issue.

My understanding is that you were belittling people for being offended by his email.

blaise
01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
I think O'Neal's an idiot for even sending an email that referenced any part of the psalm though due to the language in most of it, even if he did just intend to reference the one line.
It's bad judgement.

blaise
01-30-2012, 12:02 PM
You're inventing something out of nothing re: what you think I think he thinks.

But we largely agree on the issue.

My understanding is that you were belittling people for being offended by his email.

You can be offended. It's bad judgement. I'm just skeptical that his intent was that he prayed for Obama to die.

blaise
01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
All the more stupid since he seems to be the same guy that called Michelle Obama, "Michelle Yomomma" or something and had to apologize for that.

patteeu
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Your move, Oklahoma.

This is dumb. He was only referencing this line:

Let his days be few; and let another take his office

It might be poor theology to take this verse out of the context of the entire psalm, but it's even worse journalism to reapply the context knowing that it wasn't intended.

And of course it's no big surprise that Pittsie* swallows it without critical thought.

*Edit1: to add Direckshun to the list.

Edit2: Good for Pittsie for backing down.

patteeu
01-30-2012, 12:15 PM

I'm guilty of repost.

patteeu
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM

It probably was unclear in the email. His later clarification should be more than enough though.

It's perfectly consistent for him to have only had line 8 in mind and for him to realize that this was a mistake for which he needs to apologize. It was a mistake because (a) some reasonable people might have misinterpreted his original email and (b) because his political opponents can easily smear him with disingenuous claims.

Edit: I'm stopping now. blaise has already adequately covered all of this.

Direckshun
01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
It probably was unclear in the email. His later clarification should be more than enough though.

It's perfectly consistent for him to have only had line 8 in mind and for him to realize that this was a mistake for which he needs to apologize. It was a mistake because (a) some reasonable people might have misinterpreted his original email and (b) because his political opponents can easily smear him with disingenuous claims.

Edit: I'm stopping now. blaise has already adequately covered all of this.

I've adequately covered it, too.

stevieray
01-30-2012, 02:04 PM
when a rep does something, intent is usually implied as horrible...it's a shame!!! (disgusting!)

when a dem does something, intent is usually implied as a tragedy, or sad.....it's a shame!(disappointing)

it's the same ol BS mantra, they tell you how you are supposed to FEEL..and the most humorous part is, that is supposedly what they are SO against.

go bowe
01-30-2012, 02:56 PM
when a rep does something, intent is usually implied as horrible...it's a shame!!! (disgusting!)

when a dem does something, intent is usually implied as a tragedy, or sad.....it's a shame!(disappointing)

it's the same ol BS mantra, they tell you how you are supposed to FEEL..and the most humorous part is, that is supposedly what they are SO against.

when obama does something, intent is described as horrible - he wants to destroy the country,,,

when the house does something, intent is obviously for the good of the country and has nothing to do with defeating obama at any cost to the conduct of the nation's business...

it's the same bs on both sides, stevie...

and some on the religious right not only want to tell folks how they are supposed to feel, but tell them how to live their lives...

and some on the far left want to tell us how to feel and what to do...

and then there's ron paul...

stevieray
01-30-2012, 03:31 PM
it's the same bs on both sides, stevie...

I agree to a certain extent...for a couple of years now, I've claimed this is more generational than party. it's why I don't have faith in either party, in fact, I think they are both shells of their original core values, and both have sold us out.

...we are more into parenting each other, than our children.