PDA

View Full Version : General Politics The basis for Newt Gingrich's campaign

Taco John
01-31-2012, 03:17 PM
I've been wracking my head for days trying to understand the basis for Newt Gingrich's campaign. Not that I had any doubt that his own motivations are ego driven, but I couldn't figure out why a billionaire would want to fund Gingrich. I think this article provides pretty good insight as to why this is happening.

Adelson is giving Gingrich $5 million because of fear of Ron Paul — Chris Matthews (http://mondoweiss.net/2012/01/israel-is-the-elephant-in-the-studio-during-msnbc-discussion-of-adelsons-giving.html)

From the article:

Thank god for Matthews, he got at the real motive behind this gift: foreign policy. Gingrich has "fluffed up Sheldon Adelson with a lot of fear talk about Ron Paul" and Paul's "isolationism," Matthews said. So Adelson will continue to cough the money up.

This has "nothing to do with theories of capitalism," Matthews said. Adelson is "afraid of the Middle East situation," and he's going to keep spending money.

Basically, the idea is to ensure that this doesn't turn into Romney v. Paul (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/16/cnn-poll-obama-tied-with-romney-paul-in-november-showdowns/), knowing how weak a candidate Romney is in a prolonged stretch. By funding Gingrich through the convention, Adelson gets either Obama or Romney as a president, which satisfies his interests either way.

Though the article makes an interesting point on the blowback that is happening, and that's a Romney, Paul alliance.

Notice that Paul is working that leverage. He made nice to Romney lately, defending him yesterday on the Bain Capital criticism, and pretty much promising not to run as a third party candidate. Last night Al Sharpton expressed fear that Ron Paul would get to determine a President Romney Supreme Court pick.

In other words, the game now is how much influence Ron Paul will have.

A second aspect of the leverage game is Adelson being coy with his millions. Romney wants those millions for his campaign against Obama. But by giving a smallish-for-Adelson contribution to Gingrich (he had promised $20 million back in December, Politico tells us), Adelson is holding out. He knows that he who holds out longest has the most leverage. He may play this game with Romney for a while….

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 03:23 PM
It's not just Paul—it's also Sheldon doesn't completely trust Romney either. Well, that's what I read anyway. It's about Iran. Newt is willing to drop nukes on Iran. Sheldon also funds the Likud Party who wants a Greater Israel. This is why Newt speaks about Jerusalem becoming Israeli.

La literatura
01-31-2012, 03:26 PM
This paints Adelson out as some dolt with a large pocketbook, and Gingrich spiking his drink, putting the passed out billionaire in a straight jacket rubber room, and launching a subliminal message campaign about how Ron Paul is dangerous for the establishment.

Basically, the idea is to ensure that this doesn't turn into Romney v. Paul, knowing how weak a candidate Romney is in a prolonged stretch. By funding Gingrich through the convention, Adelson gets either Obama or Romney as a president, which satisfies his interests either way.

This makes no sense. Why not just fund Romney, and score an ally in more ways than one, instead of going the round-about way by funneling Gingrich?

Perhaps Adelson actually likes Gingrich?

Taco John
01-31-2012, 03:30 PM
This paints Adelson out as some dolt with a large pocketbook, and Gingrich spiking his drink, putting the passed out billionaire in a straight jacket rubber room, and launching a subliminal message campaign about how Ron Paul is dangerous for the establishment.

This makes no sense. Why not just fund Romney, and score an ally in more ways than one, instead of going the round-about way by funneling Gingrich?

Perhaps Adelson actually likes Gingrich?

The article addresses this:

Matthews’s analysis is the best answer to a reader’s questions: On what basis can anyone say that Adelson's game here is Israel when he might as well give his money to Mitt Romney? It would have the same effect. What's he gain by throwing $5 million away at Gingrich, which can only damage Romney?

The answer in a word is leverage on Romney. The Republican process is now a war over Romney’s policy positions; and the neoconservative fear is that he will be tugged left by Ron Paul's movement inside the party. So Adelson is applying a counter-weight by giving money to someone who is to Romney's right on Israel questions. Anything that brings down Ron Paul’s vote will advance neocon policymaking inside the Republican party.

Perhaps Sheldon does actually like Gingrich. I don't discount that. Problem is, the facts are that Gingrich isn't viable (http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/290311/20120131/ron-paul-2012-romney-beat-obama-polls.htm).

But aside from that "liking" Gingrich doesn't really have meaning. When you are a billionaire, you don't like people, per se - you like power. And the reason you like power is because the more of it you have, the more of your own ideas you can implement. None of us can really appreciate how a Billionaire looks at the world without holding the power ourselves.

I definitely disagree with how you think it paints Adelson. I think Adelson knows what he's doing. But more to the point, as someone who works in sales, I'd have to credit Gingrich on being a very good salesman.

Taco John
01-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Adelson recognizes Romney for the political creature he is. Romney is going to follow the path that gives him the most amount of power and a second term. I'm sure Adelson would shed no tears to see a Romney/Rand Paul ticket fail to disshelve Obama. (by the way, I believe this ticket is already being negotiated on the side - which is why Paul is not attacking Romney at this point).

La literatura
01-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Okay, I can see the counter-weight to Paul argument. I doubt it was something that Gingrich "fluffed up Sheldon Adelson with a lot of fear talk about Ron Paul" stuff, however.

Taco John
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Okay, I can see the counter-weight to Paul argument. I doubt it was something that Gingrich "fluffed up Sheldon Adelson with a lot of fear talk about Ron Paul" stuff, however.

Why not? In sales, you've got to recognize the fears of the person you are trying to sell and present your solution as the best solution to their needs. Gingrich would be foolish not to use Paul as leverage to sell Adelson with. Paul is anathema to Adelson's worldview, and the idea that he could contain Paul while keeping Romney in check would be a good way to convince Adelson to break out the checkbook.

As far as "fear talk about Ron Paul," when you are selling an executive with large dollars, you sell them on implications and let them scare themselves with how these implications play out. They know more about their fears than you do. Your job is to paint the large brush strokes and let them fill in the details.

Calcountry
01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Adelson recognizes Romney for the political creature he is. Romney is going to follow the path that gives him the most amount of power and a second term. I'm sure Adelson would shed no tears to see a Romney/Rand Paul ticket fail to disshelve Obama. (by the way, I believe this ticket is already being negotiated on the side - which is why Paul is not attacking Romney at this point).You think Romneycare is going to get elected?

Calcountry
01-31-2012, 04:49 PM
The joke is on the people taking the worthless dollars to pay for the ad buys, hehe.