PDA

View Full Version : Elections Florida Primary Results Thread

mnchiefsguy
01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Figured we would need a thread for this. Polls still show Romney with a big lead. Should know a lot more after 7 pm central when the polls close.

Calcountry
01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
It's Howdy Doody time...

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 05:59 PM
I have my little " I Voted" sticker on!!!!!

The place was empty. No one there but me. Hardly anyone in the lot....except cars for poll workers.

Calcountry
01-31-2012, 06:02 PM
If someone could get to Paul, and just get him to lay off the impression that he gives about totally disarming the country then he could do something.

He has trouble articulating his positions in a media hungry world, in other words, He don't look good on TV. I understand the guy, I read his book, "End the Fed". He communicates much more effectively that way than in front of a TV camera which is an art in itself.

Sorry, but to ever make a serious run, one has to be able to do that. High hopes for Rand Paul.

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 06:12 PM
If someone could get to Paul, and just get him to lay off the impression that he gives about totally disarming the country then he could do something.

He has trouble articulating his positions in a media hungry world, in other words, He don't look good on TV. I understand the guy, I read his book, "End the Fed". He communicates much more effectively that way than in front of a TV camera which is an art in itself.

Sorry, but to ever make a serious run, one has to be able to do that. High hopes for Rand Paul.

That's true. His handlers needed to have him take some public speaking and debate courses. He could gain about ten to fifteen pounds and stand on a stool too. Perhaps die his hair. After Mitt had that one bad debate he practiced and practiced with trainers. Paul does need to simplify his message into marketing-based sound bites while still getting the general idea across. I'd say he stammers too much. He should watch the King's Speech.

I don't think he ever said he'd disarm the country though. I think that's somewhat, but not totally a knee-jerk reaction by the right. The country is over 70% tired of war so that is a message where they sit. Although, that's less so with GOP voters.

mnchiefsguy
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
About fifteen minutes away. I suppose the only suspense at this point is who will finish third and fourth between Santorium and Paul.

mnchiefsguy
01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Fox news projecting Romney the winner...currently up 48-31 over Newt. Pretty big margin.

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 07:01 PM
They close the polls here too dayum early. I know someone who couldn't get out of Tampa to get home from work due to the traffic and missed the poll by 15 minutes. They should stay open until 8 o'clock imo. He was a Paul voter too.

mlyonsd
01-31-2012, 07:08 PM
They close the polls here too dayum early. I know someone who couldn't get out of Tampa to get home from work due to the traffic and missed the poll by 15 minutes. They should stay open until 8 o'clock imo. He was a Paul voter too.I'm pretty sure voting started 10 days ago.

Chocolate Hog
01-31-2012, 07:08 PM
I forgot about this whoops

patteeu
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Well, I guess that's that.

HonestChieffan
01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Looks like newts attack idea lost again. People want a positive message they can believe and Mitt delivers on that

Chocolate Hog
01-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Florida is a pretty good example of the failing empire.

Dave Lane
01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
They close the polls here too dayum early. I know someone who couldn't get out of Tampa to get home from work due to the traffic and missed the poll by 15 minutes. They should stay open until 8 o'clock imo. He was a Paul voter too.

Wow that could have doubled RP1s votes in Florida. Thats totally unfair.

alnorth
01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Wow. Romney is beating the holy hell out of Gingrich. He's got more votes than Gingrich and Santorum combined. (and some polls suggested most of Santorum's votes would have went to Romney, so Gingrich's theory that Santorum was stealing his votes may not be true. Could be the other way around, I doubt Gingrich supporters would go Romney over Santorum)

alnorth
01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Hopefully Sheldon Adelson doubles down and sends another 10-15 million down the Gingrich superpac rathole.

Gingrich is too entertaining to die down now.

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 07:53 PM

Quit being a jerk. That wasn't the point.

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm pretty sure voting started 10 days ago.

Whooosh! You missed the point too. Not everyone uses early voting especially in this election where people have been changing their minds making it volatile.

mlyonsd
01-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Whooosh! You missed the point too. Not everyone uses early voting especially in this election where people have been changing their minds making it volatile.So your friend just made his mind up today?

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
So your friend just made his mind up today?

Pretty much this week. I helped with it.

mlyonsd
01-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Pretty much this week. I helped with it.So he had all week to make up his mind knowing he wouldn't be able to vote today, because of work. Yeah I can see how you'd think that's Florida's fault.:p

alnorth
01-31-2012, 08:05 PM
The only time I'd ever use early voting is if I'll be out of town or if I for some odd reason planned to unplug from the internet and the TV before and through the election.

These politicians are not good guys worthy of admiration. Most of them are deceptive to some degree and some of them are probably psychopaths. I'm holding out till election day just in case some incredible scandal breaks on one of these weasels.

patteeu
01-31-2012, 08:06 PM
The only time I'd ever use early voting is if I'll be out of town or if I for some odd reason planned to unplug from the internet and the TV before and through the election.

These politicians are not good guys worthy of admiration. Most of them are deceptive to some degree and some of them are probably psychopaths. I'm holding out till election day just in case some incredible scandal breaks on one of these weasels.

You probably shouldn't vote at all because you never know when scandal will erupt the day after the election. :)

alnorth
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
You probably shouldn't vote at all because you never know when scandal will erupt the day after the election. :)

I know you are trying to be witty and funny, but given that these guys are mostly untrustworthy weasels, I'm not locking my vote in early only to regret it on election day after I discover he's been lying on the issues I voted for.

At some point there has to be a deadline where we can no longer withhold our vote, but I don't trust these bastards. I'll vote when I have to, and not before.

(in other news, mayor JoeBob of tumbleweed, FL narrowly won re-election today despite the election-eve charges of corruption. Analysts say that the 13-term, now-deeply-unpopular mayor, who was polling close to 75% last week, may have survived due to early voting. We'll have more at 10)

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 08:10 PM
So he had all week to make up his mind knowing he wouldn't be able to vote today, because of work. Yeah I can see how you'd think that's Florida's fault.:p

I didn't say it was Florida's "fault." I only said that they close the polls too early.

What if people decide to vote on election day? The traffic simply turned out to be much worse than expected. It took him an hour and 15 minutes and he missed by minutes.

BTW this person works a lot of overtime and 2 jobs. So what if he decided "who" in the last week which is a Sunday, a Monday and today. It helps working people if the polls can be open to 8 o' clock. Not only that but there are cards to fill out for what people would like to see changed. This is one I think should.

mlyonsd
01-31-2012, 08:14 PM
I didn't say it was Florida's "fault." I only said that they close the polls too early.

What if people decide to vote on election day? The traffic simply turned out to be much worse than expected. It took him an hour and 15 minutes and he missed by minutes.

BTW this person works a lot of overtime and 2 jobs. So what if he decided "who" in the last week which is a Sunday, a Monday and today. It helps working people if the polls can be open to 8 o' clock. Not only that but there are cards to fill out for what people would like to see changed. This is one I think should.Sorry, I don't feel sorry for him. If you want to vote you can, period.

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 08:16 PM
At some point there has to be a deadline where we can no longer withhold our vote, but I don't trust these bastards. I'll vote when I have to, and not before.

I thought this same thing when I heard the early voting advertised here. I thought who would want to vote early—especially in this election. There is no time to change one's mind.

Fortunately, for me and my daughter this wasn't a problem. My daughter voted before she returned to college here with an absentee ballot because she was solidly for Paul as was I. I pushed her on it.

Still, I just prefer to go to a poll and vote in person. I don't care for early voting at all or absentee ballot unless a good reason. Something about both I don't like. It's not at all unreasonable to have polls open to 8 PM to accommodate those who have to work and want to vote on voting day. I voted mid-afternoon and it was completely empty except for me.

The other thing was my voting location was changed and you find that out by driving to one location, seeing a sign with maps to take and driving to another location. If I hadn't called him he would have had to go through that costing him time when his time was tight.

I remember always voting with lots of other people. Something I like about that.

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Sorry, I don't feel sorry for him. If you want to vote you can, period.

If you think I was looking for you or anyone else to feel sorry for him then you certainly are dubbing in your own fantasies. I don't need your snark or being talked down to. Of course he can vote. I was talking about helping more with that with closing the polls one hour later. Even a half hour. It was just a comment about how I thought it would be better to have the polls open until 8 followed by an explanation that YOU seemed to NEED because you were judgmental about someone you don't even know. I plan on filing my opinion about it too. Why? Because I can and they want that here.

Chocolate Hog
01-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Mitt Romney wants a military so powerful nobody would think about challenging it. Now that's funny.

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Mitt Romney wants a military so powerful nobody would think about challenging it. Now that's funny.

We're both laughing at that tonight. It already is that. What does Mitt want to conquer the entire world? Actually, I think so. Global governance is what any progressive is about.

Saul Good
01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
When you really stop and think about it, Ron Paul is the real winner tonight.

Chocolate Hog
01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
When you really stop and think about it, Ron Paul is the real winner tonight.

Think a couple trillion more will scare away those guys with box cutters?

mlyonsd
01-31-2012, 08:33 PM
If you think I was looking for you or anyone else to feel sorry for him then you certainly are dubbing in your own fantasies. I don't need your snark or being talked down to. Of course he can vote. I was talking about helping more with that with closing the polls one hour later. Even a half hour. It was just a comment about how I thought it would be better to have the polls open until 8 followed by an explanation that YOU seemed to NEED because you were judgmental about someone you don't even know. I plan on filing my opinion about it too. Why? Because I can and they want that here.Maybe the polls should stay open 10 days. I mean like they do now. Or maybe they should stay open 10 days later, just in case someone missed there was an election.

go bowe
01-31-2012, 08:46 PM

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

HonestChieffan
01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
The loosers tonight gave threir best speeches so far. Bottom line to me is Obama is in deep shot and we may have an opportunity to toss his sorry ass out

go bowe
01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Maybe the polls should stay open 10 days. I mean like they do now. Or maybe they should stay open 10 days later, just in case someone missed there was an election.

shit i'll call your 10 days and raise ya a month...

BucEyedPea
01-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Maybe the polls should stay open 10 days. I mean like they do now. Or maybe they should stay open 10 days later, just in case someone missed there was an election.
Now you being a tard. Just stop. If I want to make a suggestion for my area on their suggestion forms I will. You can do what you want in your area. This is not significant enough for an argument.

Saul Good
01-31-2012, 08:59 PM
BTW, everyone who has been claiming that the Democrat-sponsored PPP poll is the most accurate or that Insider Advantage is anything other than a farce can go ahead and stop. They and Insider Advantage were just awful. The jig is up.

PPP had Romney at 28 points over Paul and winning by 8 points.
Insider Advantage had Romney at 24 points over Paul and winning by 5 points.

Romney is going to beat Paul by 40 points and win by 15 points.

Saul Good
01-31-2012, 09:00 PM
Now you being a tard. Just stop. If I want to make a suggestion for my area on their suggestion forms I will. You can do what you want in your area. This is not significant enough for an argument.

So you're going to suggest that they stay open for 10 days and 30 minutes instead of just 10 days?

go bowe
01-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Think a couple trillion more will scare away those guys with box cutters?

although i would have thought it impossible, i have to agree with billay on this one...

all our technology and firepower doesn't mean squat to guys who live in the mountains of backwards countries...

sure we kill a lot of them, but plenty more step up...

state of the art fighters are only good against other "straight" military forces... (no homo)

any old plane can strafe and bomb insurgents and that's all we're gonna see from now on...

we're already way strong enough to deter any standing military force from wanting to challenge us, like mitt wants...

it's those buggers in the outback and in large cities in pakistan, you can't kill em all even with the most powerful military in the world...

increasing defense spending for modern weapons systems that are nearly useless in modern military conflicts, or which do things which are already done well by existing systems at a much cheaper cost seems like an extravagance that we can no longer afford...

i like a lot of the recent obama/panetta proposal for cutting defense spending, particularly the part about markedly increasing special operations forces...

jeebus billay, did you say all that?

go bowe
01-31-2012, 09:06 PM
So you're going to suggest that they stay open for 10 days and 30 minutes instead of just 10 days?

well, if traffic is bad it should be 10 days and 90 minutes at least...

Chocolate Hog
01-31-2012, 09:08 PM
although i would have thought it impossible, i have to agree with billay on this one...

all our technology and firepower doesn't mean squat to guys who live in the mountains of backwards countries...

state of the art fighters are only good against other "straight" military forces... (no homo)

any old plane can strafe and bomb insurgents and that's all we're gonna see from now on...

we're already way strong enough to deter any standing military force from wanting to challenge us, like mitt wants...

it's those buggers in the outback and in large cities in pakistan, you can't kill em all even with the most powerful military in the world...

increasing defense spending for modern weapons systems that are nearly useless in modern military conflicts, or which do things which are already done well by existing systems at a much cheaper cost seems like an extravagance that we can no longer afford...

i like a lot of the recent obama/panetta proposal for cutting defense spending, particularly the part about markedly increasing special operations forces...

I agree with most of that but let's be honest America's greatest problems aren't a bunch of cavemen in the middle east it's spending back home and none of the guys besides one has the balls to make the cuts we really need to make. Notice the hi-jackers didn't attack our military but rather our financial institution. Enough with the Jihadist boogieman.

Saul Good
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM

I don't disagree with that. It doesn't make Paul a serious candidate, though.

alnorth
01-31-2012, 09:11 PM
Getting back on track:

According to exit polls, Romney won men by only 5%, but women by 22%.

I'm thinking it took a while for the "open marriage" crap to percolate past the political nerds and into the common primary voter. That, or South Carolina women are just crazy.

Chocolate Hog
01-31-2012, 09:11 PM

He's the only one willing to address the real issues. Spending trillions more isn't going to scare any terrorist and not touching overseas spending, medicare, SS, and other government problems isn't going to solve any problems.

Saul Good
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
He's the only one willing to address the real issues. Spending trillions more isn't going to scare any terrorist and not touching overseas spending, medicare, SS, and other government problems isn't going to solve any problems.

I get it. He's not a viable candidate, though. You share those same views, and you aren't going to be POTUS, either.

alnorth
01-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Romney's campaign has just been informed that they will begin to receive Secret Service protection later this week.

Chocolate Hog
01-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I get it. He's not a viable candidate, though. You share those same views, and you aren't going to be POTUS, either.

So we should just vote based upon a beauty pageant right?

patteeu
01-31-2012, 09:21 PM

Defense spending is about more than just terrorists.

Saul Good
01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
So we should just vote based upon a beauty pageant right?

No, but I certainly weigh the extent to which I agree with a candidate against his chance of winning. Otherwise, I'd just vote for myself.

Chocolate Hog
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Defense spending is about more than just terrorists.

And Mitt Romney isn't willing to cut a penny of it.

alnorth
01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
@daveweigel

Gingrich did not call to concede to Romney. Mitt had called to concede to him in SC. #burn

Stay classy, Newt

Taco John
01-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Congratulations to Mitt on the win.

See ya in the caucus states!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6VWWwDhkRpg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane
01-31-2012, 11:33 PM
I can't believe young people listen to this old crazy coot and applaud. Oh wait I guess do...

KILLER_CLOWN
01-31-2012, 11:38 PM
I can't believe young people listen to this old crazy coot and applaud. Oh wait I guess do...

You've got Paul envy.

mikey23545
01-31-2012, 11:56 PM

Worse than that, they listen to Obama and believe him.

cdcox
02-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Romney's campaign has just been informed that they will begin to receive Secret Service protection later this week.

Ron Paul can't be far behind.

go bowe
02-01-2012, 01:23 AM
I agree with most of that but let's be honest America's greatest problems aren't a bunch of cavemen in the middle east it's spending back home and none of the guys besides one has the balls to make the cuts we really need to make. Notice the hi-jackers didn't attack our military but rather our financial institution. Enough with the Jihadist boogieman.

wasn't going for jihadist boogeyman, rather the absurdity of further increasing our overwhelming conventional forces to meet the challenge of unconventional asymmetric warfare, where our overwhelming military superiority cannot be fully brought to bear...

and btw, the 911 terrorists attacked the pentagon too...

go bowe
02-01-2012, 01:32 AM

he seriously can't win the nomination, but if he did i might vote for him over obama...

and ron is serious alright, like a case of the clap, er... no i didn't mean that...

at least he's more than a fringe candidate at this point, you have to give him credit for that...

and some of his ideas are being taken up by the "mainstream" candidates, like auditing the fed...

isn't that what it's all about?

he's gained a very public, even prominent platform to spread the ron paul word and i'd say he's been wildly successful at that...

but some of his ideas are still a little too kooky for me...

well, a lot too kooky...

DBoweShow
02-01-2012, 09:11 AM
he seriously can't win the nomination, but if he did i might vote for him over obama...

and ron is serious alright, like a case of the clap, er... no i didn't mean that...

at least he's more than a fringe candidate at this point, you have to give him credit for that...

and some of his ideas are being taken up by the "mainstream" candidates, like auditing the fed...

isn't that what it's all about?

he's gained a very public, even prominent platform to spread the ron paul word and i'd say he's been wildly successful at that...

but some of his ideas are still a little too kooky for me...

well, a lot too kooky...

Which issues are "a lot too kooky" for you? Just wondering.

BucEyedPea
02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
This thing is not over, even for Newt.

If you consider that Romney ran 13,000 ads, Newt 200 and none by Paul and Santorum, then Newt still did pretty well. It wasn't over when Hillary won Florida either.

patteeu
02-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Which issues are "a lot too kooky" for you? Just wondering.

Did you ever think of a specific bailout that Mitt Romney flip flopped on?

DBoweShow
02-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Did you ever think of a specific bailout that Mitt Romney flip flopped on?

I don't think I asked you which ideas you thought were kooky? I don't care if people think RP has kooky ideas, this is America and you are allowed to think that. I was simply wondering which one's he thought were personally kooky.

patteeu
02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't think I asked you which ideas you thought were kooky? I don't care if people think RP has kooky ideas, this is America and you are allowed to think that. I was simply wondering which one's he thought were personally kooky.

No, you didn't. But you did tell me that Mitt Romney flip flopped on bailouts and when I asked you for a specific example I never got a response. It's cool if you can't come up with one. I don't really expect you to.

DBoweShow
02-01-2012, 12:01 PM
No, you didn't. But you did tell me that Mitt Romney flip flopped on bailouts and when I asked you for a specific example I never got a response. It's cool if you can't come up with one. I don't really expect you to.

I think I stated that out of an ad that was run, which is definitely not the best factual representation of the situation. I should of never said that about the bailout flip flop but it really doesn't matter because it seems like you have a little man crush on Willard.

patteeu
02-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I think I stated that out of an ad that was run, which is definitely not the best factual representation of the situation. I should of never said that about the bailout flip flop but it really doesn't matter because it seems like you have a little man crush on Willard.

I appreciate your response. I only challenged you because I know there are a lot of people who have bought into these false charges. Most likely, the ad you saw claimed that Romney flip flopped on TARP because he was for it at the time but now he thinks it should be wound down. He still defends the initial decision to save the global financial system even though he's critical of the way Obama's team has managed the program. I'm sure you would agree, as politifact.org did, that that's not a flip flop.

DBoweShow
02-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I appreciate your response. I only challenged you because I know there are a lot of people who have bought into these false charges. Most likely, the ad you saw claimed that Romney flip flopped on TARP because he was for it at the time but now he thinks it should be wound down. He still defends the initial decision to save the global financial system even though he's critical of the way Obama's team has managed the program. I'm sure you would agree, as politifact.org did, that that's not a flip flop.

I definitely took the ad out of context and posted without researching for myself. But I understand what his position is on TARP. I just hope Mitt can run effectively against Obama in November if he gets the nomination. He is going to need all of the Republican party behind him to have a chance.