PDA

View Full Version : Elections Gingrich to challenge FL vote count

petegz28
02-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Apparently there is some rule that says you can't have a "winner take all" election prior to April 1st and therefore all the delegates are split up equally or something like that.

Just heard this on Fox.

go bowe
02-01-2012, 09:12 PM
didn't i hear something about the gop taking delegates away from florida over their primary?

can't remember if it was that they were winner take all of if they moved it to close to the beginning of the primary season, or something or other...

HonestChieffan
02-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Newt is getting crazy

Time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs

petegz28
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Newt is getting crazy

Time to piss on the fire and call in the dogs

Rules are rules and I can't say I wouldn't do the same were I in his position but you have to be prepared to deal with the fact you will come out looking like a sore loser, right or wrong.

alnorth
02-01-2012, 09:40 PM
This is going to sound nuts but.... I agree with Gingrich.

Just on this one issue though, the man's a mentally-ill egomaniac, but he's right on this issue.

The stupid, stupid media are dead-ass wrong when they report that Mitt got all 50 delegates, just as they are when they reported that Santorum and Mitt split Iowa's delegates and Ron Paul got none. (Their caucus methodology is crap. RP is likely to get a ton of delegates despite finishing third, because Romney and Santorum voters dont stick around to pick county and state convention delegates, but RP voters do)

The national GOP said anyone voting early (before April, I think?) has to allocate their delegates proportionately. (they do allow states to have winner-take-all-if-winner-wins-more-than-50% rules, but they still have to theoretically be proportional if no one gets a majority) There's no special "unless you get penalized half your delegates, then do whatever the hell you want" rule.

If Florida doesn't matter and Romney wins a huge majority of the delegates, then fine, they will let FL get away with it and no one cares. If FL will matter, then any Florida voter has the right to challenge the FL delegation and ask the GOP to enforce their own rules, and they probably will if it matters.

Reporting that Romney got 50 delegates is crap. He will if he gets a majority of the delegates in the country, but if he doesn't, FL will be challenged on this, and the challenge will be successful. So the AP should report a proportional delegate count out of FL, if they are at all interested in being accurate.

alnorth
02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
didn't i hear something about the gop taking delegates away from florida over their primary?

can't remember if it was that they were winner take all of if they moved it to close to the beginning of the primary season, or something or other...

FL was supposed to get 99, they got cut to 50 when they went to January.

The FL GOP, in a flash of arrogance, basically said "fine, but we'll pass a law saying it has to be winner-take-all, and we DEFY you to make us be proportional during a year when the convention is in FL"

If it doesn't matter, then the GOP will let the whining baby have their bottle, but if it does matter, the GOP will have to enforce their rules. ALL of their rules, not just the delegate penalty.

Taco John
02-01-2012, 10:04 PM
So the AP should report a proportional delegate count out of FL, if they are at all interested in being accurate.

Uh, they're not.

News is no longer about reporting, and is instead about being narrators.

BucEyedPea
02-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Apparently there is some rule that says you can't have a "winner take all" election prior to April 1st and therefore all the delegates are split up equally or something like that.

Just heard this on Fox.

Well, it's been known that the rules changed for this election. It's not winner take all throughout.

BucEyedPea
02-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Uh, they're not.

News is no longer about reporting, and is instead about being narrators.

...and trying to influence Romney's momentum.

SNR
02-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Archer: "N00b Gingrich"
LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO