PDA

View Full Version : Local PETA opposes naming Cairn Terrier KS State Dog

banyon
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
It is unbelievable the damage these people do to the credibility of logical and practical conservation groups...

PETA opposes making Toto state dog of Kansas

By Beccy Tanner
The Wichita Eagle

Published Thursday, Feb. 2, 2012, at 9:48 a.m.
Updated Friday, Feb. 3, 2012, at 6:35 a.m.

http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2012/01/30/11/00/DerxP.Em.80.jpg

Letter from PETA to Rep. Trimmer:

Dear Mr. Trimmer,

I’m writing on behalf of PETA’s more than 3 million members and supporters worldwide — including many in Kansas — to urge you to immediately withdraw House Bill 2513, which would make the cairn terrier the state dog of Kansas.

You’ve said that you do not want this bill to distract from the critical issues facing your state, but if passed, HB 2513 would worsen one of Kansas’ serious problems: its reputation as a hotbed for cruel, filthy puppy mills. Naming the cairn terrier — or any breed — Kansas’ state dog would drive up demand for these dogs and entice puppy mills to churn out litter after litter of the breed, meaning fewer dogs would be adopted from your state’s animal shelters.

As you know, dogs in puppy mills are typically kept in tiny, feces-caked cages and are never given any love, attention, or opportunity to do anything that is natural or important to them — not even to roll in the grass. Food, veterinary care, and shelter are often inadequate, and female dogs are often killed when their worn-out bodies can no longer produce puppies. Just this past December, one Kansas puppy mill owner, who had been cited for failure to adequately treat animals with health problems, euthanized 1,200 dogs after a deadly distemper outbreak.

What’s more, when Kansans rush out to buy cairn terriers, countless lovable, friendly, healthy dogs who are sitting in animal shelters across your state waiting to be adopted will miss out on their chance for a home — and will end up dead.

More and more Americans are choosing to save lives by adopting their animal companions from shelters instead of buying them from breeders and pet stores. Please don’t make Kansas take a step backward by promoting a specific breed as the state dog and in so doing condemn other dogs to death. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Martin Mersereau

Director

Cruelty Investigations Department

Eleven other states have adopted state dogs as state symbols. They are:

Alaska: Alaskan malamute (adopted in 2010)

Louisiana: Louisiana Catahoula leopard dog (1979)

Maryland: Chesapeake Bay retriever (1964)

Massachusetts: Boston terrier (1979)

New Hampshire: Chinook (2009)

North Carolina: Plott hound (1989)

Pennsylvania: Great Dane (1965)

South Carolina: Boykin spaniel (1985)

Texas: Blue lacy (2005)

Virginia: American foxhound (1966)

Wisconsin: American water spaniel (1985)

Saying it would have deadly consequences if Kansas adopts a state dog, an official with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has written a letter to a Kansas politician, asking him to withdraw a proposal establishing the cairn terrier as the state dog.

http://media.kansas.com/smedia/2012/02/02/14/07/i1ibo.Em.80.jpg

State Rep. Ed Trimmer, D-Winfield, proposed the bill, House Bill 2513, designating the cairn terrier as the official dog breed of Kansas. Toto, the dog in “The Wizard of Oz,” was a cairn. News about the proposal spread quickly throughout the nation with news reports carried on major television networks, in newspapers, on NPR and blogs such as the Huffington Post.

“If passed, HB 2513 would worsen one of Kansas’ serious problems: its reputation as a hotbed for cruel, filthy puppy mills. Naming the cairn terrier – or any breed – Kansas’ state dog would drive up demand for these dogs and entice puppy mills to churn out litter after litter of the breed, meaning fewer dogs would be adopted from your state’s animal shelters,” wrote Martin Mersereau, director of the cruelty investigation department for PETA.

Mersereau wrote that he was sending Trimmer the letter “on behalf of PETA’s more than 3 million members and supporters worldwide – including many in Kansas – to urge you to immediately withdraw House Bill 2513.”

That’s not going to happen, Trimmer said.

“I’ve gotten more positive responses from people – people glad we are doing this,” Trimmer said. “They recognize this bill is not a super-critical piece of legislation – but that it is not harmful. Their comment that Kansas is a horrible place because of puppy mills and because we have animals in animal shelters are separate issues. I’m drawing on my past experience as a debate coach and I would make the argument for causality. I don’t see a causal relation between naming a state dog and the proliferation of puppy mills. I haven’t seen any evidence take place. They’ve overstated their position.”

Responses from Kansans to the state dog proposal have been mixed. Eagle readers responded with many suggestions for a state dog – from mongrels, greyhounds and Labradors to prairie dogs. Some, though, voiced support for the cairn terrier.

A Wendell, N.C., woman, Jo Anne L. Beckerich, wrote The Eagle an e-mail on Wednesday saying:

“Our local radio station in North Carolina alerted me. … My husband and I have had the pleasure of living with Cairn Terriers since the mid 1980s. If any testimony is needed re passing this wonderful, loving, feisty, intelligent, fun loving dog as your state dog, let me know! I would be glad to give you from-the-heart opinions on the Cairn Terrier breed! I wish that I could live in Kansas!”

PETA is the same national animal rights group that in 2009 – just days after the shooting death of Wichita abortion doctor George Tiller – proposed erecting billboards in Wichita urging people on both sides of the abortion debate to go vegetarian. One version of a billboard was to say: “Pro-Life? Go Vegetarian. “The other said, “Pro-Choice? Choose Vegetarian.” Both showed pictures of baby chicks. Their request was denied by local sign companies.

In the meantime, Trimmer said, he has received requests from Kansas schoolchildren and teachers saying their classes will closely follow the bill through the legislative process.

Before any bill can become law, it must go to a committee for a hearing – in this case, the House Standing Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources. If the committee approves the bill, it will go the House floor for a vote. The hearing date has not been set, Trimmer said.

Brenda Moore, obedience chairwoman with the South Central Kansas Kennel Club, who contacted Trimmer in the first place, also has heard plenty about the proposal.

“I’ve seen some negative comments, and that is sad,” Moore said. “With the economy, I know we are going through a rough time but when you try to do something fun or make some people happy, it’s bad enough. We’ve got to find little bits of happiness along the way. To me, the cairn terrier is as much of Kansas as sunflowers are.”

As for PETA asking for the bill to be withdrawn because of the state’s reputation for puppy mills, Moore said she thought that was a bit much.

“That’s people grasping at straws,” Moore said. “The thing about Kansas is that we now have laws that if people see puppy mills, we can do something about it – it used to be, we couldn’t.”

http://www.kansas.com/2012/02/02/2199796/peta-opposes-making-toto-state.html

Chiefshrink
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Are you representing PETA ?

Chiefshrink
02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Damn "ankle biter" representing Kansas ??? Seriously?:rolleyes:

HonestChieffan
02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
PETA Urges Vegan Super Bowl For Obama....

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/peta-urges-vegan-super-bowl-obama/359716

banyon
02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Are you representing PETA ?

?? Can you read? :spock:

banyon
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Damn "ankle biter" representing Kansas ??? Seriously?:rolleyes:

:spock::spock::spock:

Just stop today while you are behind...

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmfxe70o2t1qkhub3o1_500.jpg

Chiefshrink
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
:spock::spock::spock:

Just stop today while you are behind...

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lmfxe70o2t1qkhub3o1_500.jpg

I got it the first time and should have prefaced my previous comment but do
you know how many times I here jokes about "Toto" when I tell others I grew up in Kansas?

And I'm sure many you fellow Kansans suffer the same jokes.:rolleyes:

alnorth
02-05-2012, 12:23 PM
He should probably send a thank-you letter to PETA. These "designate a state (blank)" bills get asked for by elementary classrooms all the time, sometimes they will get someone to introduce the bill, and from there sometimes they have time to vote on it, sometimes they don't and it dies.

This bill may have met a similar end if the committee didn't have the time or inclination to have a hearing, but I bet this PETA thing will annoy enough people to where they will say "wow, they are stupid. OK, screw it, we can probably find a couple hours somewhere, lets vote on this silly dog bill, JUST to mess with PETA"

banyon
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I got it the first time and should have prefaced my previous comment but do
you know how many times I here jokes about "Toto" when I tell others I grew up in Kansas?

And I'm sure many you fellow Kansans suffer the same jokes.:rolleyes:

If you got it the first time, why did you ask me if I was representing PETA?

notorious
02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Great, we are going to have a glorified rat as our dog.

Bump
02-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I love animals more or just as much as anybody, but PETA is just a fucking joke and have lost any credibility that they could have had. They are almost as much of attention whores as the phelps clan.

Chiefshrink
02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
If you got it the first time, why did you ask me if I was representing PETA?

You missed the sarcasm. You are a lawyer who is a progressive liberal who wouldn't dare miss out on a chance to represent PETA and go after your own native state.

It was a joke.

Chiefshrink
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Great, we are going to have a glorified rat as our dog.

Precisely my point!! It needs to be at least a Labrador or something far less feminine than a damn ankle biter but I get the reference to "Wizard of Oz":rolleyes:

HonestChieffan
02-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Carin Terriers are cool little dogs.

banyon
02-05-2012, 01:28 PM
You missed the sarcasm. You are a lawyer who is a progressive liberal who wouldn't dare miss out on a chance to represent PETA and go after your own native state.

It was a joke.

Wow, that's a good joke. :spock:

You just didn't read the article or what I posted. Thanks for clarifying. I've been on record here every time opposing PETA.

sd4chiefs
02-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Carin Terriers are cool little dogs.

My Cairn is awesome.

BigMeatballDave
02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
PETA should drown in Aids infected semen.

wazu
02-05-2012, 09:59 PM
My childhood dog was a Cairn terrier. Such an amazingly awesome animal I haven't been able to own a dog since. Can't accept anything less, and can't fathom going through the personal loss again.

Mojo Jojo
02-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Where was PETA when Kansas named the Ornate Box Turtle the state reptile? :hmmm:

Cave Johnson
02-06-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IXp4YgSgSo

Radar Chief
02-06-2012, 09:07 AM
PETA should drown in Aids infected semen.

Beat down with a conduit bender.

blaise
02-06-2012, 09:12 AM
I suddenly want Kansas to make it the state dog.

SNR
02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
The sponsor of this evil bill shown here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_q2hFp3_FNQc/S99iqJEC6XI/AAAAAAAAAZ8/9y02B7ybZnA/s1600/cruella-de-vil-b-web.jpg

Bob Dole
02-06-2012, 09:55 AM
It's all true. Bob Dole ran to the nearest Blue Lacy puppy mill and picked up a couple when Texas named their state dog.

mikey23545
02-06-2012, 12:24 PM
It's all true. Bob Dole ran to the nearest Blue Lacy puppy mill and picked up a couple when Texas named their state dog.

See? You're the kind that give state dogs a bad name.

kcfanXIII
02-07-2012, 08:24 AM
if i ever took peta seriously, i quit when they tried getting fish renamed "sea kittens" to get people to quit eating fish. i'm a huge animal rights guy and all, but peta is to animal rights, as WBC is to christianity.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-07-2012, 08:43 AM

It was a joke.

I'm sure he suffered too, Toto.