PDA

View Full Version : Drafting an Elite Pass Rusher or TR?

Sorter
02-06-2012, 07:51 PM
While many have been excited over Trent Richardson, does it appeal to anyone else to draft an elite pass rusher this year? I'm not sure if talent-wise Coples or Upshaw are are as good as other prospects in recent years (Miller, Smith, JPP) or if it would make sense to take one of those two over Trent if we had the opportunity. While its doubtful Coples falls to us, Upshaw will certainly be there. Thoughts?

Direckshun
02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Coples doesn't fit our defense.

Upshaw does, but at this point it's a top ten selection.

I'm in favor of it, always have been. You cannot have too many passrushers.

The guy I'm high on is Nick Perry out of USC. Kid's got wheels.

philfree
02-06-2012, 07:59 PM
While many have been excited over Trent Richardson, does it appeal to anyone else to draft an elite pass rusher this year? I'm not sure if talent-wise Coples or Upshaw are are as good as other prospects in recent years (Miller, Smith, JPP) or if it would make sense to take one of those two over Trent if we had the opportunity. While its doubtful Coples falls to us, Upshaw will certainly be there. Thoughts?

I love me some pass rushers but I'd be good with Richardson or Upshaw. It would be considered a waste of Coples talents in most peoples eyes but is he stout enough to play "some" 3-4 DE? With Hali and Houston at OLB and Coples at DE in pass rush situations, well that sounds good to me.

Tribal Warfare
02-06-2012, 08:06 PM
I'd rather go for Poe and secure the NT spot and if another NT is available further down the draft pick his ass up too because of depth ,competition, and value.

philfree
02-06-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd rather go for Poe and secure the NT spot and if another NT is available further down the draft pick his ass up too because of depth ,competition, and value.

I think Poe would be a good pick.

Probably wouldn't work out but I think lining up Powe and Poe as a two down lineman set could be something.

Dicky McElephant
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
I've read that Upshaw can play both the OLB and ILB positions in a 3-4.

Direckshun
02-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Yup.

Tribal Warfare
02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
I think Poe would be a good pick.

Probably wouldn't work out but I think lining up Powe and Poe as a two down lineman set could be something.

they did last year with Bailey and Gordon in their 4-3 variation.

Bewbies
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I would the whole thing.

philfree
02-06-2012, 08:49 PM

I read that. I made a post or thread about it a ways back. It didn't get much attention.

Munson
02-06-2012, 09:01 PM
As long as Luck and RGIII are already gone, I'd have no problem drafting a pass rusher.

htismaqe
02-06-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd love to have Upshaw.

gonefishin53
02-06-2012, 10:15 PM
I see a lot of articles saying Upshaw plays something called "jack linebacker" , part down lineman and part linebacker. I'm not sure how that translates to the position Belcher currently plays in the Chiefs D.

Bewbies
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
I see a lot of articles saying Upshaw plays something called "jack linebacker" , part down lineman and part linebacker. I'm not sure how that translates to the position Belcher currently plays in the Chiefs D.

Hali and Houston won't be on the field every down. Having 3 guys to rotate on first and second that can go beast mode blitz on third is a good thing.

gonefishin53
02-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Hali and Houston won't be on the field every down. Having 3 guys to rotate on first and second that can go beast mode blitz on third is a good thing.

I can't see Pioli using the #11/12 pick for someone who isn't going to start and play every down.

Bewbies
02-06-2012, 11:10 PM

Outside of your QB, and o-line nobody plays every down.

the Talking Can
02-07-2012, 08:09 AM
i like upshaw, but honestly think Houston is a better, more complete player...so how do you fit upshaw in?

at 6'2, 265 he's not big enough to be on the line in a 3-4...

caveat- if we trade down, i'm fine taking just about anyone

Dave Lane
02-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Personally I hope we take Richardson. We are one play away from having Jackie Battle take the field as our feature back. No way we should pass on him. Obviously QB trumps anything but RB is a huge black hole of crap after Charles.

Chiefnj2
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I know I will be in the minority, but I don't get the Courtney Upshaw hype. His pass rush has no form whatsoever - no shoulder dip. Here he is in the BCS championship game. The majority of his plays are from LSU breakdowns.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N2NGJD_naF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
I really can't argue against another pass rusher.

tredadda
02-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Elite 3-4 DE pass rusher? If so, who out there fits the bill? We don't really need another pass rushing LB since we have Hali and Houston who really came on strong to end the year. To get one in the first round for depth would be a wasted pick. I could go for more pass rushers in the later rounds though.

Chris Meck
02-07-2012, 10:41 AM
I think you've got those guys already; meaning that in nickel situations you add Gilberry and Bailey.

I know we'd all like to see more sacks, but it's the scheme. If you rush Hali + your front 3, you're not going to rush another OLB very often. Houston's biggest plus was supposed to be as a natural pass rusher.

Detoxing
02-07-2012, 12:04 PM
If we're going to go Pass Rush i'd rather see them take someone who plays in the middle, whether that be a NT or ILB.

While i do like Belcher, he doesn't offer much in terms of rushing the QB. He's a good run supporter, weak in coverage, and isn't a real threat to pressure the QB.

If you notice, when Hali and Houston do come around the corners, the QB is usually able to just step up in the pocket and buy himself that extra second to complete the pass.

So...how about we get some players who can collapse the middle instead?

O.city
02-07-2012, 12:15 PM
We really need someone to collapse the pocket from the middle.

Is Poe someone who could do that? I know nothing about him.

htismaqe
02-07-2012, 01:17 PM
i like upshaw, but honestly think Houston is a better, more complete player...so how do you fit upshaw in?

at 6'2, 265 he's not big enough to be on the line in a 3-4...

caveat- if we trade down, i'm fine taking just about anyone

He can play inside in a 3-4.

KCrockaholic
02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Yeah it's bleacher report, but this is actually a good breakdown of Trent Richardson.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1060841-2012-nfl-draft-breaking-down-alabama-rb-trent-richardson

BigChiefFan
02-10-2012, 03:58 PM
The Giants model shows DE is the way to go. That said, I'm in the Poe camp.

O.city
02-10-2012, 04:32 PM
I like the dude from USC in the second round, if he were to last that long.

BossChief
02-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Sticking with the pattern of scouting reports thus far, I will double-up on the running back position by focusing on one of the top prospects at the position, Trent Richardson of the University of Alabama.

Richardson is viewed by many as the top prospect at his position because of his ability on the football field. He has a unique blend of size and power to go along with an abusing running style. While these characteristics contribute to his sky-high stock, they are not the only ones.

So join me as I further delve into the game of the man his teammates call "The Beast."

Size

When it comes to size, Richardson checks in at roughly 5'11" and a healthy 225 pounds. This sounds like the ideal size of a running back; in my opinion, Richardon's weight in particular is a number that catches the eye of talent evaluators because it means that he is able to withstand the beating that he will take with each carry at the next level, thus making him a "workhorse."

He attained this size through the constant work—which is said to be somewhat legendary—he put in at the weight room.

Richardson has worked very hard in the weight room. He's built himself up so well that Alabama strength coach Scott Cochran, who's known as one of the best in all of football, had to slow down the Tide runner's workload—like his bench press, which is merely 475 pounds, and his squat, which is over 600 pounds and shows up in his lower half of the body.

Scheme

Schematically speaking, Richardson fits right into the NFL after taking carries out of both shotgun sets as well as the traditional set, which features him in the "home" alignment. The "home" alignment is commonly referred to when the back sets up behind the quarterback in an I-formation set.

In both of these formations, he's been utilized in run concepts that show up in the NFL, such as Power—a concept that has the backside guard pulling and lead blocking for the tailback.

Speed

Perhaps not as fast as some of the other talent coming out in 2012, he still does show the ability to explode into the open field and pick up chunk yardage, which NFL scouts are heavily seeking nowadays.

His long gainers in the open field come from his patience in letting blockers develop and set up blocks prior to hitting the hole at full speed. When he does this, he creates running lanes for himself and then gets into the open field, where his vision comes into play.

Power

Ironically, his strength is his power, in my opinion, and the reason for this is his lower half of the body.

Richardson's lower half is thick as tree trunks; consequently, he's able to run through arm tackles. He consistently breaks the tackles of defenders who try to go low to tackle him. Moreover, he shows the ability to dip his pad level, absorb contact from defenders and continue running with the ball.

Lateral Agility and Balance

Lateral agility is one of the most important traits of a running back. It's an area that Richardson excels in. He shows the ability to make sudden cuts around the line of scrimmage and in the open field.

His ability to make sudden cuts around the line of scrimmage and make defenders miss is very important when it comes to projecting his transition to the next level because the running lanes are smaller.

Also, when he gets into the open field, he does an excellent job of taking quality angles to put defenders in poor situations to make a tackle.

When it comes to balance, Richardson is top-notch, which is really fascinating to me, considering he backed up Mark Ingram last season, who also had great balance. This seems like a trend at Alabama, and Richardson certainly showed his, often being able to pick up yards after contact by keeping his pads over his feet and keeping a strong base. These two things help keep him balanced when absorbing contact.

Vision and Instincts

Vision is key in all skill positions, whether its a quarterback who is dropping back and needs to see the entire field to deliver the ball, or a running back who needs to find the cutback lane that is created by a fast-flowing defense.

The latter is what can be seen by the Florida-born Trent Richardson. He shows patience in his running style that is key in letting his blocks develop and then following that up with a quality burst into the hole that is created by blocks or himself, which is witnessed at the 1:02 mark in the highlight video.

As can be seen, he shows the ability to find the lane to the backside in the run concept, something that not all runners can find.

Ball Security

One.

That is the number of fumbles lost that Richardson has in his career. Here's another number:

This is the amount of carries he's had since that last fumble.

Impressive, right?

I think so too.

Richardson does a good job of of securing the ball when receiving contact; he rarely puts it on the ground, with the aforementioned lone fumble in 614 carries. If a running back puts the ball on the ground, he can be rendered useless, but that's not the case here.

Pass Catching

Running backs have to be versatile nowadays to pose as a bigger threat to the defense. It's not just screen passes out of the backfield that running backs have to do; it's also lining up out of the backfield where they have to run short routes and get open—something I don't envision Richardson having a problem with.

He shows soft hands and full extension when catching the ball, as well as the ability to adjust to the ball location. This is important to note because not every pass is ideal, especially when a quarterback is under duress and has to check the ball down to his outlet, which Richardson often would be.

Pass Protection

To stay on the field on all three downs, you must be able to protect the quarterback from pass rushers by executing a chip block or as often seen with backs, a cut block. Richardson can do both and do them well because, like Oregon's LaMichael James, he's very tough, strong and competitive.

He is very strong in the upper and lower body, which enables him to "anchor" in pass protection when taking on a defender. He sinks his feet into the ground, gets a strong base and drops his hips to administer the cut block on a defender. And when asked to chip a pass rusher, he does a good job of lowering his shoulder and jarring the defender back into the inside, where the offensive tackle sits.

we would do well to take this kid

Overall

Is Richardson worthy of a first round pick?
Yes No Submit Vote vote to see results

When all the characteristics of Alabama running back Trent Richardson are put together, they create a special talent.

Richardson is one of the best running backs to come out in recent years because of his blend of power and quickness. He is able to win in the short area against defenders around the line of scrimmage as well as run through arm tackles prior to making them miss in the open field—a scary sight.

I expect him to go in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, possibly as high as fifth-overall to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

KCrockaholic
02-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Richardson doesn't really have any negatives when you look at him. The only thing you could even begin to knock him about is that maybe he doesn't have elite speed. And that's nit-picking.

Chief_For_Life58
02-11-2012, 10:39 PM
we just have to draft this guy if he falls to us. Hes a special type of talent.

O.city
02-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Pick Richardson, Sign Mario williams if you want a passrusher. Go all NY Giants.

Chief_For_Life58
02-11-2012, 10:44 PM
how does tr even fall to us? cant see that happening

O.city
02-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't think he will be he could.

tredadda
02-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Pick Richardson, Sign Mario williams if you want a passrusher. Go all NY Giants.

That would involve us drafting a first round QB as well, but we all know how that will play out.

Okie_Apparition
02-12-2012, 07:09 PM
If Tebow can oust Orton
Richardson should overthrow Cassel

htismaqe
02-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Great. Can't wait for the Chiefs to make the change to 1965 football while everybody else is continuing on into the 21st century.

Bewbies
02-13-2012, 08:47 AM
If both players are equal you take the elite pass rusher over the elite running back every time. No matter what your roster looks like.

O.city
02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I actually agree with what htis says Richardson would do to Cassel.

I want to pick Richardson based on the fact that I don't think Cassel starts next year. I think htis woudl agree that if Richardson is on eht board and Cassel isn't our qb, he would take him.

htismaqe
02-16-2012, 07:38 AM
I actually agree with what htis says Richardson would do to Cassel.

I want to pick Richardson based on the fact that I don't think Cassel starts next year. I think htis woudl agree that if Richardson is on eht board and Cassel isn't our qb, he would take him.

Actually it depends on who the QB is.

If you have a young guy that is largely unproven, take Richardson.

However, my fear is that a guy like Richardson causes a team like the Chiefs to replace Cassel with, well, CASSEL.

O.city
02-16-2012, 03:38 PM
If they were to start Stanzi or he won a training camp battle and came forward as the starter, I'd like him to have Richardson and Charles as a security blanket.

Hell even if we brought in Orton, I'd take Richardson.