PDA

View Full Version : Misc I need to learn spanish.

ChiefsNow
02-11-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm having a language barrier problem with the mother of my daughter in costa rica. Has anyone used spanish learning software? Rosetta stone and fluenz are so expensive. Has anyone used the Pismeur approach or any of these programs , or maybe another? It's so agrevating to understand her. even when here emails do not translate worth a **** in google translate.
It's kind of depressing, Sofia was 1 year old Jan 20th and I've never seen her yet
would appreciate advise here.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-11-2012, 09:15 AM
My advice is to not knock up women who do not speak the same language as you.

ChiefsNow
02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
My advice is to not knock up women who do not speak the same language as you.

A little late for that advise. I'm not too unhappy about it though, I'm 52 and she is my first and only child. I was starting to think I couldn't git er done.

KC native
02-11-2012, 09:23 AM
you can torrent Rosetta stoned. look up torrents and how they work and then get it done.

PunkinDrublic
02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
So what happened? Did you knock up some hot Costa Rican chick when you were on vacation?

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
FWIW, I took two years of spanish in high school and I still can't come close to speaking it or understanding it.

KC native
02-11-2012, 09:41 AM
you can torrent Rosetta stoned. look up torrents and how they work and then get it done.

hehe I meant Rosetta Stone not

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aYOpSCgCN74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KurtCobain
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
FWIW, I took two years of spanish in high school and I still can't come close to speaking it or understanding it.

That was a long friggin time ago.

ChiefsNow
02-11-2012, 09:48 AM
What is weird, When I was down there, it seemed we carried on conversations and understood each other pretty well with what little bit of spanish (actually it was more portugese than spanish, but they are similar) that I learned when I was maintaining helicopter on tuna seiners and the little bit of english she knew. It goes to show you how much body expressions and facial expressions count in language.

ILChief
02-11-2012, 09:51 AM
You might be able to take a class at a local community college if you learn better with a teacher. Plus the teacher could help you understand the emails if they're not too private

Saul Good
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Has anyone used spanish learning software?

No

(That's Spanish for "No")

Iowanian
02-11-2012, 09:55 AM
You communicated well enough with her to have a child, but can't speak with her?

I'm not trying to be rude but did you take out your poke and hand her $20?

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-11-2012, 09:56 AM
That was a long friggin time ago.
Haha. I get it. Bugeater's old. But FYI I couldn't speak or understand it back then either you little whippersnapper.

crazycoffey
02-11-2012, 09:56 AM
hire a spanish speaking lawer? do parental rights differ much in costa rica?

ChiefsNow
02-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Here is an example of how one of her emails tranlated on google translate. lol

Hi Scott, I hope you are well. I have the papers of the car where my mom, I do with them.

I tell you that I am working as a taxi driver but no formal if not as a pirate, a man I rented a car x day.
A tube kevin what to send in Guanacaste where the pope because he was misbehaving and was asking for trouble if you do not have entered the call is not ICE has many more problems than other phone lines and entered as a clear, Full Movil yours and others, and which is the concern Sofia of your family. When are you coming? Scott I am not living with anyone you know well I nuy tube to go from my home because my parents more.
Tomorrow I have to pay my small apartment and I have almost all left me $ 50 dollars that are 25 thousand colones if I can help I thank you as the owner is a pain in the ass and I do not hold a day late.

crazycoffey
02-11-2012, 09:57 AM
No

(That's Spanish for "No")

this made me laugh

Hog Farmer
02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
Just bring her here to move in with you .Then you can teach her to speak English and see your kid.

KurtCobain
02-11-2012, 09:59 AM
FYI I couldn't speak or understand it back then either you little whippersnapper.

Yeah, but you were probably distracted by World War ll or something.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsNow
02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
hire a spanish speaking lawer? do parental rights differ much in costa rica?

Unemployed at the moment, and I'm not sure.

L.A. Chieffan
02-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Costa Rican huh? Nice booty?

crazycoffey
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Hi Scott, I hope you are well. I have the papers of the car where my mom, I do with them.

I tell you that I am working as a taxi driver but no formal if not as a pirate, a man I rented a car x day.
A tube kevin what to send in Guanacaste where the pope because he was misbehaving and was asking for trouble if you do not have entered the call is not ICE has many more problems than other phone lines and entered as a clear, Full Movil yours and others, and which is the concern Sofia of your family. When are you coming? Scott I am not living with anyone you know well I nuy tube to go from my home because my parents more.
Tomorrow I have to pay my small apartment and I have almost all left me $ 50 dollars that are 25 thousand colones if I can help I thank you as the owner is a pain in the ass and I do not hold a day late.

she has proof your the father, wants more money, wants to come to US, says you're in trouble if you contact ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcment)

bevischief
Go hire someone from TacoBell....

bevischief
Dumb ass...

Stewie

Use the KC Nut decoder ring and you're golden. :evil:

Gonzo
02-11-2012, 10:08 AM
You're the man in this relationship, you need to say the following:

"Listen here, Punta... You need to be habla you some english or no Pesos for you. I aint lernin no bean speak. You habla what I'm saying?"

See how that works out.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsNow
02-11-2012, 10:13 AM
You're the man in this relationship, you need to say the following:

"Listen here, Punta... You need to be habla you some english or no Pesos for you. I aint lernin no bean speak. You habla what I'm saying?"

See how that works out.
Posted via Mobile Device

ROFL

VAChief
02-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Rosetta is more expensive for a reason...it works and fairly quickly. You will be able to have conversations and understand much more quickly than just tapes or other programs. Do the free trial, and you will start getting "offers" from them.

bevischief
02-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Wrap it before you tap it.

ChiefsNow
02-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Rosetta is more expensive for a reason...it works and fairly quickly. You will be able to have conversations and understand much more quickly than just tapes or other programs. Do the free trial, and you will start getting "offers" from them.

:thumb:

MIAdragon
02-11-2012, 10:19 AM
FWIW I took Spanish in both HS and college and it was worth just about zero in the real world. I learned more in 3 or 4 weeks down in Miami communication with the locals than I ever did in school. Book Spanish and "street" Spanish are two totally different things.

JD10367
02-11-2012, 10:29 AM
No pics of the chick? Fail.

Gonzo
02-11-2012, 10:37 AM
In all seriousness man...
If you actually have a problem with Torrents, (which some people do) go to your public library. They'll probably let you check it out there for a 20 dollar yearly membership.
Posted via Mobile Device

ElGringo
02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
download utorrent, very simple program, if you run the setup guide it will do all the work itself, and I personally liked "Tell Me More" more than Rosetta stone....

p.s. speaking from experience, even if you can translate spanish to english, first you have to translate what they put in an email to spanish...when my wife tries to send messages or chat, I have to figure out the spanish word she is trying to say before I can put it in english.

Brock
02-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Here, I'll translate: Send money.

Fish
02-11-2012, 10:42 AM

I wish I could receive an e-mail like that every day. That's hilarious....

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-11-2012, 10:45 AM
FWIW I took Spanish in both HS and collage and it was worth just about zero in the real world. I learned more in 3 or 4 weeks down in Miami communication with the locals than I ever did in school. Book Spanish and "street" Spanish are two totally different things.
Looks like your English courses weren't worth much more. LMAO

Saul Good
02-11-2012, 10:50 AM
I wish I could receive an e-mail like that every day. That's hilarious....

You can. They come from Nigeria, though.

RUSH
02-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Platiquemos. Best program out there if you're serious about learning. I got it through btjunkie.

Don't mess with Rosetta stone it's pure garbage they just market the product well.

The Michel thomas cds are a great starting tool as well to give you a base and feel for the language.

Good luck.

Bump
02-11-2012, 10:54 AM
I plan on teaching myself spanish at some point, I'm not paying for expensive skyrocketing college tuition's though

prhom
02-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Google translate only works well if the person writing in Spanish/English is using proper grammar.

Ironically, I've been told the best way to learn a language is to get a girlfriend or wife who speaks it. You are well on your way there. Though I think the assumption is that you live with that person.

JD10367
02-11-2012, 11:02 AM
::: making note... only knock up a chick from Great Britain, Canada, or Australia... :::

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Got it translated...

"All your monies are belong to us."

sd4chiefs
02-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I have a frend that was showing me his IPhone 4s with an apps translator. You just speak into the phone and it well translate what you said and replay it back in just about any language you want. It works really will.

Phobia
02-11-2012, 11:29 AM
It looks like you'll get cheap taxis whenever you're in Costa Rica next.

Have you tried exchanging email with your daughter yet? I'll bet it's even worse.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-11-2012, 11:31 AM
It looks like you'll get cheap taxis whenever you're in Costa Rica next.

Have you tried exchanging email with your daughter yet? I'll bet it's even worse.

No! multicultural kids pop out knowing the language of the Father and Mother.

MIAdragon
02-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Looks like your English courses weren't worth much more. LMAO

LMAO replying from a red light fail.

Gonzo
02-11-2012, 11:45 AM
LMAO replying from a red light fail.
LMAO

Cruising the planet while driving = WIN.

You're dedicated, sir.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
02-11-2012, 11:50 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YW0XoxBDGwg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YW0XoxBDGwg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

MIAdragon
02-11-2012, 11:58 AM
LMAO

Cruising the planet while driving = WIN.

You're dedicated, sir.
Posted via Mobile Device

Traffic in Miami is awful

el borracho
02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm having a language barrier problem with the mother of my daughter in costa rica. Has anyone used spanish learning software? Rosetta stone and fluenz are so expensive. Has anyone used the Pismeur approach or any of these programs , or maybe another? It's so agrevating to understand her. even when here emails do not translate worth a **** in google translate.
It's kind of depressing, Sofia was 1 year old Jan 20th and I've never seen her yet
would appreciate advise here.

1. The best way to learn a language is to get a girlfriend/boyfriend (your choice) who speaks that language and/or live somewhere that forces you to learn.

2. Not to be rude, but are you sure (100% sure) that the child is yours? You might want to verify that before making major life changes.

3. If you are serious about being a dad and having a relationship with the child, one of you is going to have to move. Since you are not currently employed, you may see some appeal in moving to Costa Rica to teach English.

4. If you want immediate help with translations, PM me.

Rain Man
02-11-2012, 04:14 PM
You're American! Our forefathers didn't destroy Germany twice and Japan once, and really mess up Korea and a bunch of other countries so we would have to learn other countries' languages. You speak English and it's the other person's job to figure out how to communicate.

ChiefsNow
02-12-2012, 01:21 AM
1. The best way to learn a language is to get a girlfriend/boyfriend (your choice) who speaks that language and/or live somewhere that forces you to learn.

2. Not to be rude, but are you sure (100% sure) that the child is yours? You might want to verify that before making major life changes.

3. If you are serious about being a dad and having a relationship with the child, one of you is going to have to move. Since you are not currently employed, you may see some appeal in moving to Costa Rica to teach English.

4. If you want immediate help with translations, PM me.

My plans are to eventually live there. I already own property down there. I also realize that I will need to be there to be accurate with my spanish. I'm trying to find a job that is maybe 30 days on and 30 days off or some such job so I can go back and forth for now until I get legal right to work in costa rica.

No, I'm not sure the baby is mine, that is another delema. I have been sending only enough money to buy time until I can go down and get proof and just enough to show I'm trying , as they do have strict bad daddy laws down there.

as far as the translating for me, I appreciate that, but I would'nt want my life to be entirely entered into chiefsplanet lore. It would probably also suck to have someone else know by business before I do. LMAO

chiefsfan987
02-12-2012, 02:23 AM
This thread is so random because Everett is just 20ish miles north of me and I purchased Rosetta Stone for spanish (latin america version) just two weeks ago because I wanted to learn the language myself.

Sorter
02-12-2012, 02:46 AM
What is weird, When I was down there, it seemed we carried on conversations and understood each other pretty well with what little bit of spanish (actually it was more portugese than spanish, but they are similar) that I learned when I was maintaining helicopter on tuna seiners and the little bit of english she knew. It goes to show you how much body expressions and facial expressions count in language.

ce pode falar portugues? se vc precisa, posso te ajudar com espanhol. vc eh brasileiro?

Pushead2
02-12-2012, 03:03 AM
My plans are to eventually live there. I already own property down there. I also realize that I will need to be there to be accurate with my spanish. I'm trying to find a job that is maybe 30 days on and 30 days off or some such job so I can go back and forth for now until I get legal right to work in costa rica.

No, I'm not sure the baby is mine, that is another delema. I have been sending only enough money to buy time until I can go down and get proof and just enough to show I'm trying , as they do have strict bad daddy laws down there.

as far as the translating for me, I appreciate that, but I would'nt want my life to be entirely entered into chiefsplanet lore. It would probably also suck to have someone else know by business before I do. LMAO

Not to sound like Maury - but are you going to be a father to the kid if its not? You are 52 and don't have any before - plus that little girl is a beaut. Very cute. I hope everything works out for you.

bevischief
02-12-2012, 03:48 AM
This thread is so full of fail...

FAX
02-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Tell us what you want to say and we'll help you.

FAX

bevischief
02-12-2012, 04:06 AM
Another reason to have condoms on hand no matter your age.

OzarksChiefsFan
02-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Man she sent me that same picture and said it was my kid. I'm not sending any money now. :O)

Ugly Duck
02-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Got it translated...

"All your monies are belong to us."

Seriously? I read it as "Let's do a DNA test to be certain the child is yours before you start sending money."

Bwana
02-12-2012, 08:44 AM
DNA test..............yesterday.

SNR
02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
You could take classes from this guy at community college:

http://youtu.be/_I_43IeRtr8

(embedding disabled)

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-12-2012, 09:11 AM
You could take classes from this guy at community college:

http://youtu.be/_I_43IeRtr8

(embedding disabled)

What if he's just now getting his grade 10?

bevischief
02-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Tacobell?

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Tacobell?

Ask for the 5 dollar box and he may not like what's presented in front of him to eat ROFL

RJ
02-12-2012, 09:42 AM
DNA test..............yesterday.

My first thought.

Simplicity
02-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Pictures of the mommy?

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Pictures of the mommy?
Offensive. And reported.

Gonzo
02-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Offensive. And reported.

Report received...

3 Day vacation?

Simplicity
02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Report received...

3 Day vacation?
ROFL

Fairplay
02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
He asked the mom to double check if it was his daughter and she said yes.

So its his daughter.

Otter
02-12-2012, 10:31 AM

Check you out, bangin' a pirate!

Otter
02-12-2012, 10:37 AM
He asked the mom to double check if it was his daughter and she said yes.

So its his daughter.

Well that settles that. Air tight and water proof.

J Diddy
02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
I am currently taking spanish in college. There are a lot of good free sites out there that may be of assistance. (at least they have been to me as a reference source)

www.spanishdict.com has online lessons and other resources.

demonhero
02-12-2012, 11:02 AM
You're American! Our forefathers didn't destroy Germany twice and Japan once, and really mess up Korea and a bunch of other countries so we would have to learn other countries' languages. You speak English and it's the other person's job to figure out how to communicate.

↑ This

Trevo_410
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Me gusta hamburguesa con queso porque yo soy Americano.

JoeyChuckles
02-12-2012, 01:34 PM
So after reading through this thread today and yesterday, you all have inspired me. I have stolen Rosetta Stone Spanish via torrent, and am now one lesson in.

Los ninos beben, bitches.

Lonewolf Ed
02-12-2012, 01:36 PM
Just bring her here to move in with you .Then you can teach her to speak English and see your kid.

Yes, but he also needs to know some Spanish. Some handy ones for dealing with her are: Es mi casa y soy el rey! Also, No te rompes mis cajones!

ThaVirus
02-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Yes, but he also needs to know some Spanish. Some handy ones for dealing with her are: Es mi casa y soy el rey! Also, No te rompes mis cajones!

"Quitate la ropa" should come in handy as well..

WoodDraw
02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Rosetta Stona won't make you fluent. You'll waste hours and hours on it, and in the end, still not have any active fluency. It's a waste of time.

The two best programs are Assimil and the FSI based programs. Assimil is pretty affordable. FSI is in the public domain, although there are companies that have made newer versions based off of it. I think Barron's and Platiquemos are the most well know.

http://fsi-language-courses.org if you want to look at the public domain version.

But both of those courses will take a lot of effort. FSI programs especially are very dry and boring. I'd guess the attrition rate for people trying to teach themselves a language is well into 90%. But, if you have something that motivates you...

Iowanian
02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I translated it.

It says: "Dear Sucker, Please send money because I'm about to be kicked out of my apartment and I bought this Tshirt with your last payment"

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYt3xntpM4Lri9BHvfrBrxLhQTgF4ZBKCGT3L-mrZwH3Y6zjYB5Q

DonTellMeShowMe
02-12-2012, 06:18 PM
http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-serious-or-not.jpg

Papi
02-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Los ninos beben, bitches.

That's hilarious, goodluck keeping interested enough to make it to lesson 3 though...

JoeyChuckles
02-12-2012, 10:32 PM
That's hilarious, goodluck keeping interested enough to make it to lesson 3 though...

I got through the second lesson of the first cd so far. Going well. My plan is to put in 30 minutes a day.

WoodDraw
02-12-2012, 10:51 PM
I got through the second lesson of the first cd so far. Going well. My plan is to put in 30 minutes a day.

You really can't learn Spanish from RS. There is no way to teach subjunctive and different past tenses through looking at pictures. Or anything beyond "this is a ball." RS is a fraud with a big advertising budget. You're wasting your time.

J Diddy
02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
You really can't learn Spanish from RS. There is no way to teach subjunctive and different past tenses through looking at pictures. Or anything beyond "this is a ball." RS is a fraud with a big advertising budget. You're wasting your time.

Agreed. In my class, learning the definitions etc is the least important thing. 90% is speaking and listening. Using it in real situations. I couldn't imagine trying to learn by looking at pictures with no feedback.

Pawnmower
02-12-2012, 11:36 PM
pm me if you want the pimsleur program, i have it and can send it to u

BUT

Theres a better alternative:

www.livemocha.com

Its like world of warcraft compared to rosetta stone being single player.

it is the mmo of learning languages.

Anyhow,please, if you need help lt me know. I can help you, as I speak several languages and know how to go about the process of learning them. I'll even log in to my live mocha account and help you. (i have a helper's account there)

Pm me any time, and if u want spanish I on pimsleur lemme know, but honestly live mocha is better and you can access it anywhere you have a connection. The pimsleur are .mp3 and i can fileshare them easily (no pirate/homo)