PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 5, Heat 5.

Rain Man
02-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Ouch. I wish these hadn't all ended up in the same heat. This is by far the strongest heat to date. Pick three, as in a three-prong outlet.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/gobigpicture/gobigpicture0510/gobigpicture051000168/267759-three-prong-electrical-plug.jpg

KurtCobain
02-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Cheers get my only vote.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
This heat is like the 100m finals of the summer olympics. All world-class.

In a tough decision, here are my thoughts:

#1 - Cheers. Hard to beat this group.

#2 - Barney Miller. One of the best sitcoms ever.

#3 - WKRP. Barely edges out #4 and #5.

Didn't make the cut.

#4 - The Office (US version). Hard to believe that this show didn't make the cut. Great show.

#5 - News Radio. News Radio comes in last only when the other four shows are unnaturally great.

I'd be delighted to vote for any of these.

BigMeatballDave
02-11-2012, 11:43 PM
Very solid heat

DJJasonp
02-11-2012, 11:51 PM
bummer draw for News Radio. Cheers and The Office for me.

I'm old enough to remember watching Barney and WKRP.....and felt underwhelmed with both. (hell, I liked Soap better than both of those......but hey, different strokes......)

Dartgod
02-11-2012, 11:56 PM
I know its early, but WRKP in 4th???

tk13
02-12-2012, 12:00 AM
I think this is the most brutal one yet. Any one of these shows could move on and it'll be justified.

patteeu
02-12-2012, 07:52 AM

Didn't make the cut.

#4 - The Office (US version). Hard to believe that this show didn't make the cut. Great show.

#5 - News Radio. News Radio comes in last only when the other four shows are unnaturally great.

Same. Cheers, WKRP, and Barney Miller

Zebedee DuBois
02-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Barney, Cheers, News Radio in that order, and had to sadly let go of WKRP.

I know I am in the tiny minority, but I can't abide The Office, particularly the Steve Carrol character.

Zebedee DuBois
02-12-2012, 08:58 AM
OMG, Barney Miller CANNNNOTT be losing to WKRP11!!!
I love both these shows, but Barney had an ensemble of quirky characters - and WKRP ony had Les Nessman and Mr. Carlton and a bunch of (more or less) foil characters.

Chiefnj2
02-12-2012, 09:11 AM
OMG, Barney Miller CANNNNOTT be losing to WKRP11!!!
I love both these shows, but Barney had an ensemble of quirky characters - and WKRP ony had Les Nessman and Mr. Carlton and a bunch of (more or less) foil characters.

Bailey and Loni Anderson were kind on the eyes.

kc rush
02-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Cheers, WKRP, The Office.

I've voted for Barney Miller and News Radio in previous rounds, but couldn't this time. This is the first round where I've really liked all of the shows.

suzzer99
02-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Of course my favorite sitcom ever, NewsRadio - has to wind up in the all-star heat.

WV
02-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Cheers and WKRP only...

Predarat
02-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Cheers and the Office, and Barney gets the 3rd.

scott free
02-12-2012, 09:53 AM
This was the easiest one ever.

Top three.

mikey23545
02-12-2012, 09:54 AM

Didn't make the cut.

Same here.

whoman69
02-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Of course my favorite sitcom ever, NewsRadio - has to wind up in the all-star heat.

This is an all-star heat. I could make an argument for all five to move on.

Mosbonian
02-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Cheers, WKRP and Barney Miller here....

I'm a bit surprised that Barney Miller is doing this bad.

BigMeatballDave
02-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Cheers, WKRP and Barney Miller here....

I'm a bit surprised that Barney Miller is doing this bad.
I'm not. I love it but there are just too many young people voting for Beavis and Butthead.
Its a travesty.

whoman69
02-12-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm not. I love it but there are just too many young people voting for Beavis and Butthead.
Its a travesty.

Was Ren and Stimpy in the competition?

Barney Miller is one of my favorite shows of all-time. The fact that its really not shown anymore is hurting it.

Rain Man
02-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Was Ren and Stimpy in the competition?

Barney Miller is one of my favorite shows of all-time. The fact that its really not shown anymore is hurting it.

I agree. Barney's big handicap in this tourney is that it doesn't seem to be shown a lot in syndication. If it was, I think it would be a top-five contender.

Same thing with Soap. I can't remember the last time I saw an episode of Soap, so I'm sure the younger folk haven't seen it.

And the weird thing is that I think both of those shows would have aged well. It's not like they were faddish or anything.

KC Tattoo
02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I agree. Barney's big handicap in this tourney is that it doesn't seem to be shown a lot in syndication. If it was, I think it would be a top-five contender.

Same thing with Soap. I can't remember the last time I saw an episode of Soap, so I'm sure the younger folk haven't seen it.

And the weird thing is that I think both of those shows would have aged well. It's not like they were faddish or anything.

I liked Fish on Barney Miller, loved his sarcasm.

whoman69
02-12-2012, 04:36 PM

Soap is on Netflix for those who want to watch it.

Rain Man
02-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Soap is on Netflix for those who want to watch it.

And everyone should want to watch it.

Okay, let's close this down. Moving on are Cheers, WKRP, and The Office (US version). Losing out are two of the best shows in television history.