PDA

View Full Version : Pictures 3-D photographs of the Civil War

ReynardMuldrake
02-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Last year marked the 150th anniversary of the start of the American Civil War, a milestone commemorated by The Atlantic in a special issue (now available online). Although photography was still in its infancy, war correspondents produced thousands of images, bringing the harsh realities of the frontlines to those on the home front in a new and visceral way. Photographers also made extensive use of stereo photography, bringing images to the public in three dimensions, for those with access to a stereoscopic viewer. The images collected here are stereo pairs, which will animate when clicked (starting with photo #2), adding a new dimension, and further bringing home the reality of the moment. (Be sure to see part 1 and part 2 as well.) Keep in mind, as you view these photographs, that they were taken 150 years ago -- providing a glimpse of a United States that was only 85 years old at the time. [20 stereo pairs]
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/02/the-civil-war-part-3-the-stereographs/100243/

I thought this was interesting. Click on the photos starting with #2 to see them in 3-D.

Agent V
02-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Check out Ron Swanson on the far right in #4.

Otter
02-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Those cannons look like they might have been a lot more trouble then they were worth unless trying to bust through fortifications or firing into large groups. Imagine trying to move those things in the lose soil.

Cool pictures thx.

kcfanXIII
02-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Those cannons look like they might have been a lot more trouble then they were worth unless trying to bust through fortifications or firing into large groups. Imagine trying to move those things in the lose soil.

Cool pictures thx.

well, its kinda like a muzzle loaded rifle. it's not real efficient, but ask one of those soldiers if they'd have rather gone without. war, like everything, evolves with the technology of the times. what we consider high tech, will someday be dated. somewhere down the line people will ask themselves, "can you believe they used to have pilots, actually in the planes?"

bowener
02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Pretty cool!
One of the guys in #11 is fucking tall.

whoman69
02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Pretty cool!
One of the guys in #11 is ****ing tall.

He was probably just tall in relation to everyone else. The average male height was only about 5'6" back then. They did a great job restoring these pictures except one which has black spots all over it.

58kcfan89
02-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Very cool, thanks for the link. That whole Civil War period fascinates me.

j-mac
02-12-2012, 02:47 PM
If you like vintage phots like these, check out a site called Shorpy. Fascinating, and updated daily.

SuperChief
02-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Craaaaazy look-alike, there. I about pissed myself. Good find.

cardken
02-12-2012, 04:03 PM

LOL

WV
02-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Cool thanks!