PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Reportedly Find Their Offensive Line Coach

Mr_Tomahawk
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Chiefs Reportedly Find Their Offensive Line Coach
by Joel Thorman on Feb 13, 2012 10:58 AM CST

0 COMMENTS EMAIL PRINT
Last week reports out of New York said that the Kansas City Chiefs were interviewing the New York Giants' Jack Bicknell Jr. for their offensive line coaching job.

And this morning reports coming out of New York indicate the deal will get done. Mike Garafolo of the Star-Ledger reports the Chiefs are expected to hire Bicknell as their new offensive line coach. The Chiefs have not confirmed this news.

Bicknell was the Giants assistant offensive line coach under Pat Flaherty.

The position became available when Bill Muir, last year's offensive line coach (and offensive coordinator), retired. The Chiefs were planning on keeping Muir at offensive line coach if he didn't retire.

Bicknell is the brother of Bob Bicknell, who was previously an assistant on the Chiefs staff.

This leaves only a couple of spots to fill on the Chiefs staff -- assistant offensive line and receivers. Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel indicated he knew what he wanted to do at receivers coach so this appears to be the last big hire on the staff.

O.city
02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Good.

From what I've read, he's a pretty good get.

Coogs
02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Good.

From what I've read, he's a pretty good get.

So will our blocking scheme be the same?

Rausch
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
So will our blocking scheme be the same?

Depends more on our OC than him...

Hydrae
02-13-2012, 11:14 AM
See, we were waiting for a coach on a Super Bowl team. Just not for OC.

chiefzilla1501
02-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Awesome. Bring Carl nicks with you.

nychief
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
the giantsfication...

Coogs
02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Depends more on our OC than him...

OK, so same question. What does/did Miami do, and why would we hire this guy if his scheme does not match what our new OC runs?

KC Tattoo
02-13-2012, 11:34 AM
the giantsfication...

Better than Patriotsfication...

SNR
02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
To the pontoon!

Count Alex's Losses
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Bet he's 1000x better than Muir.

Direckshun
02-13-2012, 11:51 AM
This is a solid get. Guy knows how to find folks under the radar that get the job done.

Dropping Shaun (sp?) Ohara and picking up David Baas was such a smart move for their center position that many criticized.

Micjones
02-13-2012, 11:52 AM
He's a pretty good O-Line coach.

Rausch
02-13-2012, 11:52 AM
OK, so same question. What does/did Miami do, and why would we hire this guy if his scheme does not match what our new OC runs?

Can't say.

I honestly don't know the first thing about either one of them...

jd1020
02-13-2012, 11:53 AM
This is a solid get. Guy knows how to find folks under the radar that get the job done.

Dropping Shaun (sp?) Ohara and picking up David Baas was such a smart move for their center position that many criticized.

And you know that Bicknell made that decision?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Wonder why he made a lateral move from the Giants to here?

jd1020
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM

He didn't?

He was the Assistant Offensive Line coach in NY.

Coogs
Can't say.

I honestly don't know the first thing about either one of them...

Thanks. Surely someone here know if we will still be zone blocking or go to more of a power blocking set.

Bowser

He figures Daboll will be out of the picture in two years tops, and this may be a quick promotion to OC.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
He didn't?

He was the Assistant Offensive Line coach in NY.

Thanks.

Missed that.

Rausch
Thanks. Surely someone here know if we will still be zone blocking or go to more of a power blocking set.

I can't wait for the death of zone blocking...

Direckshun
And you know that Bicknell made that decision?

There's no way for us to know, but I'm willing to give Pioli the benefit of the doubt. A high crime on CP, I know. But it is what it is.

Pioli's been pretty solid to really good at acquiring coaching talent from 2010 on. This seems like a really good pick.

Mr. Laz
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Better than Patriotsfication...
yes, because following the pattern of the current dynasty of the NFL is just a terrible thing.

Direckshun
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
I can't wait for the death of zone blocking...

Zone blocking can be and is an effective scheme.

Bowser
02-13-2012, 11:58 AM
There's no way for us to know, but I'm willing to give Pioli the benefit of the doubt. A high crime on CP, I know. But it is what it is.

Pioli's been pretty solid to really good at acquiring coaching talent from 2010 on. This seems like a really good pick.

Not to side track this thing, but does this mean you're good with the Daboll hiring?

Rausch
02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Zone blocking can be and is an effective scheme.

A scheme, yes.

Just not what I'd prefer.

Just like I'd prefer a 3-4 over a 4-3 and a downfield offense more than the WC style...

jd1020
02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
A scheme, yes.

Just not what I'd prefer.

Just like I'd prefer a 3-4 over a 4-3 and a downfield offense more than the WC style...

If you are winning, does it really matter what you are running?

Bowser
02-13-2012, 12:02 PM

There's the question - What comes first, the winning or the scheme?

jd1020
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
There's the question - What comes first, the winning or the scheme?

Answer: The players.

Direckshun
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Not to side track this thing, but does this mean you're good with the Daboll hiring?

That's a relative term, "good."

The Chiefs working environment is at an all time PR low. We're not going to land premium talent with the Haley blow up. Plus, whomever we're bringing in is going to be saddled with Cassel.

I'd say the Daboll hiring was the best we could realistically do.

Direckshun
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM

Try again.

Mr. Laz
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
seems to me like a zone blocking scheme is heavily dependent on coaching.

maybe ZBS is a more intricate scheme?

That would double the negative effect of Muir.

let's hope

Coogs
02-13-2012, 12:05 PM

No. But I long for the day when we can win the los on 3rd and 1.

jd1020
Try again.

And why would I do that? If you don't have the talent you aren't going to win no matter the scheme.

Bowser
That's a relative term, "good."

The Chiefs working environment is at an all time PR low. We're not going to land premium talent with the Haley blow up. Plus, whomever we're bringing in is going to be saddled with Cassel.

I'd say the Daboll hiring was the best we could realistically do.

Point.

I guess that's the problem I (and many) have in general. Make Arrowhead a destination job, not what it has become. That's most likely over simplifying it, but still.

The Bad Guy
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM

LOL, wut?

Baas was TERRIBLE this year. The offensive line played a lot better when he was out of the lineup.

O'Hara was finished, but Boothe played far better at center.

The 49ers line improved 10 fold when he left and Goodwin isn't even a good center. The Giants line also regressed in run blocking and Eli's pocket awareness was off the charts last year.

Mr. Laz
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM

i just disagree

the talent level in the NFL is so close for most teams ... it's getting players that fit your scheme, keeping them coached up and motivated that is just as important.

yes, you need some superstar caliber players to make the difference as well.

jd1020
02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
i just disagree

the talent level in the NFL is so close for most teams ... it's getting players that fit your scheme, keeping them coached up and motivated that is just as important.

yes, you need some superstar caliber players to make the difference as well.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

When I see games like Green Bay vs Cleveland the last thing to comes to mind is "This is going to be a good game because the teams are closely matched."

boogblaster
who knows .....

Mr_Tomahawk
LOL, wut?

Baas was TERRIBLE this year. The offensive line played a lot better when he was out of the lineup.

The 49ers line improved 10 fold when he left and Goodwin isn't even a good center. The Giants line also regressed in run blocking and Eli's pocket awareness was off the charts last year.

So this is a "meh" hire?

Direckshun
02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
LOL, wut?

The 49ers line improved because they have three 1st round picks. They better look damn better.

Allow me to point to the Giants' run game as an argument for Baas. He played very well in the playoffs.

The Bad Guy
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
So this is a "meh" hire?

With a guy like this, I don't think you can accurately evaluate it until we are about half way into the season.

He has a good resume when he was at BC, and the Giants line has been pretty patchwork. However, I don't see anyone really developed in the last 3 years there. Snee was as ready-made a guard prospect as there is in the NFL.

I like that he's played the center position at a high level and he's not a guy who never played the OL coaching the OL.

We'll see what happens.

The Bad Guy
02-13-2012, 12:17 PM
The 49ers line improved because they have three 1st round picks. They better look damn better.

Allow me to point to the Giants' run game as an argument for Baas. He played very well in the playoffs.

The middle of their line was awful with Baas in SF. Iupati emerged and is a stud, but Baas is terrible.

Giants fans already want to replace him in this draft.

Baas looked good against the Falcons and had some good snaps against the Patriots, but he was bad against the 49ers.

I think the guy stinks personally. Having 2 brothers that are Giants and 49ers fans offer the same opinion of Baas forced me to watch him a lot more closely than I would have cared to in the past.

DenverDanChiefsFan
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Bet he's 1000x better than Muir.Bet he can stay awake an entire game.

Rooster
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Try again.

A litter free work environment?? :hmmm:

Count Alex's Losses
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe we should slow our roll.

According to PFF the Giants were dead last in pass blocking and 29th in run blocking.

The Bad Guy
02-13-2012, 12:23 PM

According to PFF the Giants were dead last in pass blocking and 29th in run blocking.

How did David Baas grade out this year?

Count Alex's Losses
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
How did David Baas grade out this year?

Dreadfully.

the Talking Can
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM

yeah, the giants are proof that a good QB can make salad out of shit....their OL is nothing to envy

Deberg_1990
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Stats dont matter when you have a badass under center whos absolute deadly in the playoffs.

WhiteWhale
02-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Stats dont matter when you have a badass under center whos absolute deadly in the playoffs.

Yeah, and that totally applies to the Kansas City Chiefs!

We didn't hire their QB, we hired their assistant OL coach.

The reality is that nobody knows anything about what this guy is gonna bring to the table, unless you worked for the Giants and know exactly what duties were delegated to him.