PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 6, Heat 1.

Rain Man
02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Sixteen shows remain. Sixteen heavyweight contenders.

We're going to have four heats of four. You'll vote for two, and then we'll have a mercy round to get two shows back in. That'll give us our list of ten favorite sitcoms of Chiefsplanet, and then we'll cut down from there.

So I give you four, you give me two. Two as in "twobe socks".

http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/c3/8/AAAAArTUkVcAAAAAAMOEGw.jpg?v=1201009378000

Dartgod
02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Cheers
MASH

loochy
02-13-2012, 12:02 PM
in b 4

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Bring back sunny!

bevischief
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
In before poll

loochy
02-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Ha ha rainman, I bet you love that South Park is getting votes

Dr. Facebook Fever
We all know Seinfeld, Cheers or M.A.S.H is winning. Oops... did I give away the ending? My bad. Go WKRP!

Garcia Bronco
Cheers and WKRP

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Cheers and WKRP

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

They're hitting the pavement like bags of wet cement.

Rain Man
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Tough call. My thoughts:

#1 - Cheers. It's hard to root against Cheers.

#2 - The Office. Nip and tuck against WKRP, but in the end I think Dwight Schrute's character is the difference maker. He adds a bit of friendly antagonism that makes the difference.

Didn't make the cut.

#3 - Love WKRP. Love it. The episode where they did the remote broadcast and had to get Bucky the union guy to help was a classic. But we're in the finals now, and I couldn't pick it over the other two shows.

#4 - South Park. Which of these is not like the others?

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
South Park doing so well makes weep for our future as a race.

loochy
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
They're hitting the pavement like Lindsey Lohan's boobs.

FYP

Rain Man
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Ha ha rainman, I bet you love that South Park is getting votes

If it makes it past this round I'm going to ask a mod to look into mult tampering. No way it makes it past this round.

Bowser
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
WKRP has been off the air too long. South Park is funny, and pretty damned clever, but it has the advantage of being recent as compared to WKRP.

I say this even though all I really remember from WKRP are Loni's boobs.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
If it makes it past this round I'm going to ask a mod to look into mult tampering. No way it makes it past this round.

Well you know kids today... with the yaya music and the hair............

Thig Lyfe
02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
WKRP is great and of course Cheers is widely considered to be a classic, but I gotta go with the shows that I know best. South Park can be pretty inconsistent but the brilliant episodes make up for the weak ones, and The Office mostly gets in on the strength of its 2nd and 3rd seasons, but again, just some really classic episodes in there and an overall positive influence on comedy.

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Ya! South park isn't funny! Put on Matlock!

Thig Lyfe
02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
South Park doing so well makes weep for our future as a race.

Sharp satire makes you weep for our future? Okay then.

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I like jello. And murder she wrote! South park sounds like that pokezball crap to me. Get a job!

loochy
02-13-2012, 12:12 PM

BUT IT R A KARTOON SO IT DUMB

loochy
02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
The Office mostly gets in on the strength of its 2nd and 3rd seasons, but again, just some really classic episodes in there and an overall positive influence on comedy.

All of that greatness WITHOUT A LAUGH TRACK

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Sharp. Heh.

loochy
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Sharp. Heh.

It actually is now. Have you watched it past the first few seasons? It's goes a lot deeper than crudely drawn children cussing type humor now.

Thig Lyfe
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Sharp. Heh.

Yeah. When it's not preachy, convoluted, and/or distracted, the satire on South Park is pretty fucking sharp.

I don't think even the biggest South Park fan will try to claim that the show is particularly consistent, but the good shit definitely outweighs the bad.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Lol, kids.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
loochy and SportsRacer, I'll take your words for it that it's better now than it once was or the times I watched it... which has been a long time. I remember farting and cussing and Kenny dieing a lot... all funny in their own right just not what I would consider worthy a vote in a poll like this.

But I do believe you that's it's changed, at least some.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Jfc

Some of you have zero respect for the classics. Sad.

Rain Man
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
I like jello. And murder she wrote! South park sounds like that pokezball crap to me. Get a job!

As an aside, I somehow ended up on a channel this weekend that had the worst cartoon ever on it. I was astounded how blatantly it was just an advertisement.

It was some sort of Japanese monster fight theme, but instead of having a monster fight, the two antagonists were playing whatever card game they were selling.

I kid you not.

The main characters were saying things like, "Look! Dr. Evil is playing his 'black dragon with a +6 flame card!", and then another character would say, "No! But Super Vixen is countering that with a water fairy card! The water fairy card counteracts the +6 flame, and now Super Vixen only needs another card with a Viking, Spear, or Catapult to defeat the dragon!"

My mouth was agape. The "battle" was the two antagonists in front of a castle displaying cards, with the dragons, spears, etc. blipping in behind them, while the main characters explained the rules. They might as well have lit up Marlboros and commented on the fresh minty taste.

Seriously, stuff like that should be banned from children's TV.

Predarat
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Cheers and the Office for me. Fairly easy pick for this one. There will be some that I will be torn on though.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
WKRP has been off the air too long. South Park is funny, and pretty damned clever, but it has the advantage of being recent as compared to WKRP.

Come on, we are the same age. I loved this show in the early 80s. Then in reruns.

Chiefnj2
02-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Cheers - Easy vote.
The Office - Some uneven seasons, but I have to give it an edge over a cartoon.
South Park - Great show, was able to get away with a lot more on cable and quick turnaround time on scripts using paper cut outs.
WKRP - Has a few fantastic episodes, but not as good as TAXI and MASH.

Rain Man
02-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Okay, I'm breathing easier now. I was a little scared when South Park jumped off with a bunch of votes.

cdcox
02-13-2012, 12:34 PM
I was going to only vote for Cheers, then decided WKRP was definitely worthy of a vote in order to help South Park DIAF.

kc rush
02-13-2012, 12:50 PM
As an aside, I somehow ended up on a channel this weekend that had the worst cartoon ever on it. I was astounded how blatantly it was just an advertisement.

It was some sort of Japanese monster fight theme, but instead of having a monster fight, the two antagonists were playing whatever card game they were selling.

I kid you not.

The main characters were saying things like, "Look! Dr. Evil is playing his 'black dragon with a +6 flame card!", and then another character would say, "No! But Super Vixen is countering that with a water fairy card! The water fairy card counteracts the +6 flame, and now Super Vixen only needs another card with a Viking, Spear, or Catapult to defeat the dragon!"

My mouth was agape. The "battle" was the two antagonists in front of a castle displaying cards, with the dragons, spears, etc. blipping in behind them, while the main characters explained the rules. They might as well have lit up Marlboros and commented on the fresh minty taste.

Seriously, stuff like that should be banned from children's TV.

A few years ago, someone did an "abridged version" of one of these shows. If you've suffered through the real version, you can find the humor in this one.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-32NGYLqwAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
02-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Cheers is my favorite in this heat. It's hard to pick a second choice between WKRP and The Office. I briefly flirted with the idea of giving my two votes to WKRP and The Office in a strategic effort to minimize the chances of Southpark making it out of this heat, but decided against it. So in the end, Cheers and WKRP get my votes.

blaise
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
I can get that people don't like South Park, but it's by no means dumb. I can't think of a better use of satire on TV. Maybe SNL. Plus they regularly lampoon celebs that need to be ridiculed.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I can get that people don't like South Park, but it's by no means dumb. I can't think of a better use of satire on TV. Maybe SNL. Plus they regularly lampoon celebs that need to be ridiculed.

For every epsiode that has made me LOL, there is one I had to turn te channel because it was just gross.

ThaVirus
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Wow, the Office and South Park should be leading this heat, easy! What's wrong with you jagoffs?!?

blaise
02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
For every epsiode that has made me LOL, there is one I had to turn te channel because it was just gross.

Yeah, that happens. Part of that is because they take more risks than most shows. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's just crass.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Wow, the Office and South Park should be leading this heat, easy! What's wrong with you jagoffs?!?

The Office is a terrible show right up there with the Big Bang Theory and it's Always Sunny in the awful North East. Besides..the "office" reminds me of being at work.

Radar Chief
02-13-2012, 01:23 PM

Bailey Quarter’s (Jan Smithers) skin tight jeans.

Sofa King
02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Jfc

Some of you have zero respect for the classics. Sad.

I never said they were classics, you did.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM

I just looked her up...good lord...she's 62.

JOhn
02-13-2012, 01:39 PM

THIS:clap:

patteeu
02-13-2012, 01:40 PM

I'm sure you're right, because you usually are on this kind of thing, but I can't get past the language barrier. What language is it made in anyway?

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2012, 01:45 PM

You are 22 and still a kid.

WKRP and Cheers are classics.

I love The Office but its not on their level.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2012, 01:47 PM
I never said they were classics, you did.

Huh?

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
I loved the 1st few seasons of South Park. Hilarious.

I grew tired tired of. Peat and repeat.

Sofa King
02-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Huh?

Huh, what?

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2012, 01:59 PM
Huh, what?

LOL whatever

crazycoffey
02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Tough choices here, WKRP was classic and probably one of the first sitcoms I remember really liking. I watched Head of the class just because Hessman was the teacher. (Very unmemorable show though)

Cheers probably gets one no matter what else I say, I enjoyed the show too damn much to not vote it as one of my favorites.

Southpark, I'll watch it occassionally now, and it's still a pretty good combo of smart and silly comedy. But the first eight to ten years I watched and laughed almost religiously. Damn it has been on for a while, right? Had to be late 90's when it started So, do I pick southpark over WKRP

Then there's the Office, "That's what she said". But I can't pick it over southpark or WKRP.

DAMN IT!!!!

OK, I can't keep picking the old favorites, I'm going SouthPark and Cheers....

Guru
02-13-2012, 05:01 PM
screw these cartoons.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
screw these cartoons.

I would agree, but I love Archer so I can't say much. :)

suzzer99
02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Cheers. You old fucks. On my poker forum they barely know what Cheers is.

<----- old fuck

Infidel Goat
02-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Come on, WKRP!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wZCibZP5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

KurtCobain
02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
DAMNIT fuck wkrp. You old dirtbags. Southpark is something special, it really is, that's how this cartoon is battling with these shows. It shows here as much as it shows in rl with how people comment.

You guys remember the lady who had a feeding tube and they removed it? Southpark had a good mimic on it BEFORE SHE DIED!
Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu
02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
OMG! ChiefsPlanet killed Kenny... and all of his two dimensional friends who sound like they have marbles in their mouths when they talk!

Rain Man
02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
The people have spoken, and Cheers and WKRP are topping the ratings.

I'm actually surprised that The Office didn't do better. I thought that was a widely appreciated show.

DJ's left nut
02-13-2012, 09:15 PM

I'm actually surprised that The Office didn't do better. I thought that was a widely appreciated show.

It lost to arguably the best sitcom of all time (Cheers) and one of those 70's sitcoms that simply will not die, but had one very good moment with turkeys and stuff.

It's a good show, but it made it to round 6, that's pretty impressive.

(Southpark got !@#$ed, however)

thurman merman
02-13-2012, 10:28 PM

Me too. I am really surprised that it got slaughtered so mercilessly this round.

cdcox
02-13-2012, 10:39 PM

I'm pissing on the ashes of South Park. I hope you aren't planning to have a raise from the dead round, because urine soaked feathers are really gross.

Rain Man
02-13-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm pissing on the ashes of South Park. I hope you aren't planning to have a raise from the dead round, because urine soaked feathers are really gross.

I plan to misspell it in the mercy round, just to confuse its fans.

tk13
02-13-2012, 10:54 PM
I'm younger than most of the voters... but I still have voted for most of the old sitcoms, because they were often better. The Office got jobbed a bit here though probably, even if it is newer. People forget now, which is sad because it was only 7-8 years ago... but The Office was pretty unique at the time, and broke the ground for all the non-laugh track and edgy comedies that followed the past decade. Those first few episodes like "Diversity Day" were really edgy for network TV, and broke the mold of 90's comedies to lead to what we see on TV today. I think it was way more groundbreaking than WKRP. But you could probably make the argument for South Park... but that was also on cable and not network TV.