PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Where Will The Chiefs Quarterback Competition Come From?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Where Will The Chiefs Quarterback Competition Come From?
by Joel Thorman on Feb 13, 2012 2:59 PM CST

Since we'll be talking a lot about the Kansas City Chiefs quarterback competition and how things might unfold in training camp and beyond, let's just make one thing clear: I hope Matt Cassel, if he starts, succeeds and has a terrific season. We're all Chiefs fans so, while we might disagree on who the quarterback should be, we all want whoever is back there to succeed because that usually means the team is winning games and winning games could lead to a Super Bowl which would lead to perhaps the greatest celebration KC has ever seen, when the Super Bowl parade goes rolling through downtown. But I'm getting slightly ahead of myself here.

The NFL offseason is prime for talking about free agency, the draft and ways to improve your team so that we can one day see that Super Bowl parade. And there's no position more popular than quarterback.

So, keeping in mind the Chiefs saying there will be competition at quarterback, I took a glance at where that competition could come from.

The draft pick: This would probably have to be a player picked in the first three rounds or so. From what I can tell, the top handful of quarterbacks -- those that could potentially challenge for playing time in year one -- will be gone within the first 2-3 rounds. From a Ryan Tannehill to a Brandon Weeden, drafting an early round quarterback doesn't seem like the best idea, barring a trade up for Robert Griffin III. I don't see any quarterbacks after Andrew Luck and RG3 that are noticeably better than Cassel, or have a significantly brighter future than him. It seems unlikely the Chiefs would find legitimate competition for Cassel in 2012 through the draft.
Related: 2012 NFL Mock Draft

The young, unproven guy: Your Chase Daniel. Brady Quinn. Brian Hoyer (via trade). Dennis Dixon. Jimmy Clausen. Guys who have very little playing experience. Quinn has started 11 career games, so he's the veteran on this list, but there are plenty of guys like this around the league. The quarterback with just a year to a few years of little playing experience who you think might have a chance to develop into something. Probably not very strong competition for Cassel in 2012 but more so in 2013 and beyond.

Matt Cassel, Part 2: Something similar to the Chiefs acquiring Cassel. This year's Cassel comparison is Matt Flynn of the Packers, although he's much more unknown than Cassel was when the Chiefs traded for him. Flynn is actually on his way to free agency so he wouldn't cost a draft pick (unless he's franchised, like Cassel was). But there are other top tier backup quarterbacks who could potentially be had for a draft pick. This would be immediate competition for Cassel, but it's also unlikely the Chiefs would pay both quarterbacks.

The veteran: Basically your Damon Huard. The veteran backup. This probably wouldn't be much of a competition for the starting job. Instead, a backup option so the Chiefs don't find themselves in a situation like they did in 2011, with a shot to win the division down the stretch only to have a quarterback injury help derail it. Maybe you find another Rich Gannon, or a Kurt Warner (from Giants to Cardinals). Or maybe you find a capable backup. I pushed for a veteran quarterback last training camp and I'm still in this camp.

The stunner: As in, a stunning move I don't expect the Chiefs to make (or be in a position to make). This is your Peyton Manning, or a current top 10 starter. Or, really, trading up to get Luck or RG3. The type of wild trade talk that helps drive sports talk radio (and, to be fair, is entertaining).

Chocolate Hog
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Tyler Palko

Molitoth
02-13-2012, 03:27 PM
The idea of competition for Cassel is a joke. F*ckface is our QB next year and that is that.

Unfortunately dumbasses like Pioli still think he is a fantastic "pro bowl" QB, and that last year was all Haley's fault.

Dayze
02-13-2012, 03:30 PM
there is no competition. whatever 'competition' there is, Cassel will assuredly 'beat' said competitor.

It'll be rigged. Cassel will be the starter. period.

Von Dumbass
02-13-2012, 03:33 PM
The idea of competition for Cassel is a joke. F*ckface is our QB next year and that is that.

Unfortunately dumbasses like Pioli still think he is a fantastic "pro bowl" QB, and that last year was all Haley's fault.

Yep, and when he fails again this year he will be given another shot because "The whole offense was learning a new system"

:cuss:

Brock
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Orton if anything.

FAX
02-13-2012, 03:35 PM
The amusing part about all this is that you could cherry-pick the worst quarterbacks in the NFL and almost every damn one of them could give Cassel competition.

FAX

ChiefGator
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
The amusing part about all this is that you could cherry-pick the worst quarterbacks in the NFL and almost every damn one of them could give Cassel competition.

FAX

Exactly, which is why this is really bullocks...

by Joel Thorman on Feb 13, 2012 2:59 PM CST

The draft pick: This would probably have to be a player picked in the first three rounds or so. From what I can tell, the top handful of quarterbacks -- those that could potentially challenge for playing time in year one -- will be gone within the first 2-3 rounds. From a Ryan Tannehill to a Brandon Weeden, drafting an early round quarterback doesn't seem like the best idea, barring a trade up for Robert Griffin III. I don't see any quarterbacks after Andrew Luck and RG3 that are noticeably better than Cassel, or have a significantly brighter future than him. It seems unlikely the Chiefs would find legitimate competition for Cassel in 2012 through the draft.
Related: 2012 NFL Mock Draft

Cassel should have NO future.. so, I'ld say any decent qb prospect has better future than him.

Dayze
02-13-2012, 03:57 PM
our only hope is that Stanzi makes a little noise and dethrones Cassel.
QBs the team until the Chiefs grow a pair and draft a QB.

Cassel is not a starting NFL QB. At least if STanzi stinks up the joint, we'll know what we have in him. If he stinks, I think we're no worse off than if we had Cassel throwing it. and if he excels...bonus.

other than that....there will be no competition.

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Bunch of crybabies around here. We'll be fine.

Inmem58
02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Quinn or Palko

Hunt = cheap

Cave Johnson
02-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Matt Moore.

BoneKrusher
02-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Orton if anything.

if this isn't rigged to favor Pioli's whipping boy, it should be.

FAX
02-13-2012, 04:14 PM

That's what Edward Smith said.

By the way, a lot of Planeteers were nice to you awhile back, Mr. L.A.Chieffan. And, they were nice to you even though you are a miserable troll of dubious character. Yet, you continue to attempt to make people miserable with your constant, inane, and pointless Cassel advocacy. This is not right. In fact, it's reprehensible, despicable, and downright scrungy. (and I mean that in the most respectful way).

I hereby give you notice; correct your behavior or I shall declare you to be a personal nemesis and a fart.

FAX

L.A. Chieffan
02-13-2012, 04:17 PM
That's what Edward Smith said.

By the way, a lot of Planeteers were nice to you awhile back, Mr. L.A.Chieffan. And, they were nice to you even though you are a miserable troll of dubious character. Yet, you continue to attempt to make people miserable with your constant, inane, and pointless Cassel advocacy. This is not right. In fact, it's reprehensible, despicable, and downright scrungy. (and I mean that in the most respectful way).

I hereby give you notice; correct your behavior or I shall declare you to be a personal nemesis and a fart.

FAX

Just trying to spread a bit of cheer in an otherwise gloomy world mr. fax.

You may all continue with the bitching and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Radar Chief
02-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Matt Moore.

I wouldn’t be opposed to that. The second half of the season he actually started looking pretty decent in Daboll’s offense.

FAX
02-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Just trying to spread a bit of cheer in an otherwise gloomy world mr. fax.

You may all continue with the bitching and I apologize for any inconvenience.

That's much better.

Now ... where was I? Oh, yeah ... Cassel sucks.

FAX

Fish
02-13-2012, 04:32 PM

0 Playoff wins in 18 years ≠ "Fine".

Pioli Zombie
02-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Whitney Houston

bevischief
02-13-2012, 05:08 PM
The best QB in the CFL.

htismaqe
02-13-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't think anybody here HOPES Matt Cassel fails.

We just KNOW he won't succeed, so why bother?

Deberg_1990
02-13-2012, 05:24 PM
All that to say, Orton still looks like the best bet for real competition.

FAX
02-13-2012, 05:29 PM
All that to say, Orton still looks like the best bet for real competition.

Unless Dr. Evil totally busted on Stanzi.

Hope springs eternal in the heart of a Chiefs fan and I can't help but be hopeful that Stanzi has what it takes.

FAX

Pioli Zombie
02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Chiefs fans SHOULD hope for Cassel to fail. It worked in New England hoping for Bledsoe to fail or to get a lung punctured by a linebacker so that anybody else could play and improve our chances.

Setsuna
02-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Quinn is proven...to be a choker of epic proportions. Chase Daniel is going to light the world on fire. Or Greg McElroy.

Coogs
02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
I don't see any quarterbacks after Andrew Luck and RG3 that are noticeably better than Cassel, or have a significantly brighter future than him.

Jesus, what a kick in the nuts to the rest of the QB's in the draft!

the Talking Can
02-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't think anybody here HOPES Matt Cassel fails.

We just KNOW he won't succeed, so why bother?

i do...that worthless piece of shit has wasted 3 years of Hali's life, just because he is pioli's personal fuck toy...

the only way we are ever going to get rid of this worthless piece of shit is if he fails so bad that palko is laughing at him....any less, and pioli is not pulling out...

Munson
02-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Its gonna be some scrub from the FA scrap heap.

the Talking Can
02-13-2012, 06:26 PM
and there isn't going to be any QB competition, as this article makes clear without saying directly...

whoman69
02-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Says Matt Cassels biggest fan.

whoman69
02-13-2012, 06:31 PM

Scott Pioli's imagination.

O.city
02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I think we should all just hold our breath for a minute and see what happens before we jump to conclusion over this.

Coogs
02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Orton if anything.

I don't get why you were busting my balls in this thread...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255674&page=4

yet seem to be saying the same thing.

FAX
02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I think we should all just hold our breath for a minute and see what happens before we jump to conclusion over this.

Negative, Ghost Rider. We must hyperventilate, suspire, hiccup, choke, and develop spontaneous groin crampage. Only then will we truly understand Bowe's agony.

FAX

FAX
02-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Hey ... I just thought of something.

You know how dogs are often portrayed as burying bones so they can dig them up later and enjoy their saved-up bone in peace and quiet? I've seen it in commercials and cartoons and movies and tv shows and comic books and places like that. However, I have owned quite a few dogs in my life and I have never, ever, seen a dog bury a bone - let alone dig it up later. Not once.

Is this merely a myth or fable? Some kind of stereotype? Or, is there only a certain breed that does this?

FAX

O.city
02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Our shorkie buries/ hides stuff all the time. Granted our chocolate lab annihilates anything he can get ahold of so that's probably why.

FAX
02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Our shorkie buries/ hides stuff all the time. Granted our chocolate lab annihilates anything he can get ahold of so that's probably why.

Really? Maybe it's just certain breeds, then. I've never owned a shorkie. Heck, I don't even know what a shorkie is.

FAX

O.city
02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Shi tzu yorkie mix.

King_Chief_Fan
02-13-2012, 07:06 PM
palko and stanzi....Looks like it is still Cassel.
Get used to it.

threebag02
02-13-2012, 07:10 PM
I am all about the Orton Bandwagon as long as Matt Cassel is run the fuck out of town.

BossChief
02-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Our ONLY hope is that Clark Hunt, himself, is playing a hand in this and I think he is.

Epic Fail 007
02-13-2012, 07:30 PM
The best QB in the CFL.

hey he would beat cassel

FAX
02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Our ONLY hope is that Clark Hunt, himself, is playing a hand in this and I think he is.

On the plus side, he seems to get involved from time to time. Far more than Lamar ever was. On the negative side, he's said he trusts Dr. Evil explicitly. Also potentially on the negative side, we have no reason to believe Clark knows a damn thing about football. On the more-or-less positive side, Clark hired Dr. Evil so it's reasonable to assume that he takes ultimate responsibility for the laughing-stock they call the Chiefs offense, but we can't be certain about that. On the negative side, Clark won't be thrilled about overpaying for another quarterback anytime soon. And, on the negative side, we still haven't signed either Bowe or Carr and we need them both so there's no telling how much money we'll have to spend on a quarterback. Then, there's Daboll ... I don't see a long line of franchise quarterbacks lining up to play for that dude. That belongs on the negative side, as well.

I didn't add that all up, but I think we're looking at an entire generation of Cassel haters.

FAX

Phobia
02-13-2012, 07:47 PM
I like how the author mentions 25 QB's by name - longshots for whom we probably have no play and never once mentions Stanzi.

Nightfyre
02-13-2012, 07:48 PM
If Clark doesn't want to overpay for a potential franchise QB, then he needs to demand that Pioli do what it takes to draft one in the first round.

Coogs
02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
I like how the author mentions 25 QB's by name - longshots for whom we probably have no play and never once mentions Stanzi.

I am maybe just overlooking it, but I can not find Orton's name in there either.

Easy 6
02-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Much as i think Orton is our best bet to be the bridge player for the qbotf, all of the scuttlebut leads me to think he'll press & squirm to get the hell out of here... he's probably smart enough to see the 'competiton' deck stacked against him.

Flynn might be a possibility, IF he's gullible enough to entertain Piolis lowball offer & sweet, sweet promises of a real shot at the job.

More than likely? its Cassel, Stanzi & some sixth round prayer or a bonafide, blue chip journeyman from FA.

Its been my gut feeling for awhile now & i just cant seem to shake it... it'll be Matt Cassel in 2012.

Brock
02-13-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't get why you were busting my balls in this thread...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255674&page=4

yet seem to be saying the same thing.

What about it don't you understand? Do you think I'm saying "Bring in Orton!!!! Please!!!"? I'm saying what, AT MOST, the Chiefs will probably do.

the Talking Can
02-13-2012, 08:04 PM

same thing pioli did....stanzi doesn't even exist for this franchise

O.city
02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
If it is Cassel and the Chiefs go say 5 and 11 or 6 and 10, is Pioli fired?

Coogs
02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
What about it don't you understand? Do you think I'm saying "Bring in Orton!!!! Please!!!"? I'm saying what, AT MOST, the Chiefs will probably do.

What about some other threads where you seem to be suggesting Orton is the best option. That's all I was saying in the other thread.

the Talking Can
02-13-2012, 08:06 PM

you believe a lot of shit that has no basis in reality

DenverDanChiefsFan
02-13-2012, 08:33 PM

What in the hell do you think most of this BB is about? There is very little fact in this place.

BossChief
02-13-2012, 08:36 PM

We all do.

I guess I'd rather hold out hope for change rather than just accept a completely bleak future.

Wilson8
02-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Possible QB competition and comparable stats…

1. Matt Cassel – 29 years old with 7 seasons but only 4 with playing time. Matt has a 59.0 passing completion rate, 11,699 yards 76 TDs, 141 sacks, and 45 interceptions. Rushed for 711 yards, 3 TDs, and fumbled 33 times.

2. Kyle Orton – 8 seasons -29 years old with a 58.3 completion percentage rate with 14,532, 80 TDs, 132 sacks, and 57 interceptions. Rushed for 274 yards, 3 TDs and 30 fumbles. If we have to live with Matt Cassel at QB and another QB to compete with him, then Kyle Orton would be my first choice.

3. Jason Campbell – In 6 seasons the 30 year old has a 60.8 passing completion rate with 14,417 yards, 74 TDs, 147 sacks, and 50 interceptions. Rushed for 1,068 yards, 6 TDs, and 43 fumbles.

4. David Garrard – 33 year old former starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars. After being cut in pre-season took last year to have surgery and to get well. David in 9 seasons has a 61.6 completion percentage rate with over 16,000 yards, 89 TDs, 179 sacks, and 54 interceptions. Has also rushed for 1,706 yards, 17 TDs, and 44 fumbles. In 2010 Garrard threw for 23 TDs.

5. Marc Bulger – 34 years old with 10 seasons. Marc has a 62.1 passing completion rate, 22,814 yards 122 TDs, 254 sacks, and 93 interceptions. Rushed for 1,863 yards, 8 TDs, and fumbled 42 times. Bring back after one year of retirement. Would work with Jim Zorn again as his QB coach. If nothing else maybe he helps Matt Cassel to be better QB and start if needed.

milkman
02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
I've thought since the end of the season that the next guy in would be Brady Quinn.

I think that might be true still, though with the hiring of DaBoll, Matt Moore looks like another strong candidate.

We are so fucked.

BossChief
02-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Daboll already had Moore and Henne and the team wanted Orton.

I'd really like to hear how much input he had in that and what made a deal fall through.

Dayze
02-13-2012, 11:10 PM
If it is Cassel and the Chiefs go say 5 and 11 or 6 and 10, is Pioli fired?

Sadly no.

BigMeatballDave
02-13-2012, 11:29 PM
What in the hell do you think most of this BB is about? There is very little fact in this place.

Matt and Scott suck. Fact, and a lot of it.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 06:16 AM
Chiefs fans SHOULD hope for Cassel to fail. It worked in New England hoping for Bledsoe to fail or to get a lung punctured by a linebacker so that anybody else could play and improve our chances.

Somebody else DID come in last season, and it didn't improve our chances. Even Orton coming in is just replacing Cassel with another mediocre QB. I'm not a Cassel backer, but it's unrealistic to think that any random QB would be better than Cassel. Also, rooting against him is rooting for the Chiefs to fail. I won't do that.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Matt Moore.

No. Just no.

If we want to replace Cassel, let's not do it with another Cassel.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Possible QB competition and comparable stats…

1. Matt Cassel – 29 years old with 7 seasons but only 4 with playing time. Matt has a 59.0 passing completion rate, 11,699 yards 76 TDs, 141 sacks, and 45 interceptions. Rushed for 711 yards, 3 TDs, and fumbled 33 times.

2. Kyle Orton – 8 seasons -29 years old with a 58.3 completion percentage rate with 14,532, 80 TDs, 132 sacks, and 57 interceptions. Rushed for 274 yards, 3 TDs and 30 fumbles. If we have to live with Matt Cassel at QB and another QB to compete with him, then Kyle Orton would be my first choice.

3. Jason Campbell – In 6 seasons the 30 year old has a 60.8 passing completion rate with 14,417 yards, 74 TDs, 147 sacks, and 50 interceptions. Rushed for 1,068 yards, 6 TDs, and 43 fumbles.

4. David Garrard – 33 year old former starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars. After being cut in pre-season took last year to have surgery and to get well. David in 9 seasons has a 61.6 completion percentage rate with over 16,000 yards, 89 TDs, 179 sacks, and 54 interceptions. Has also rushed for 1,706 yards, 17 TDs, and 44 fumbles. In 2010 Garrard threw for 23 TDs.

5. Marc Bulger – 34 years old with 10 seasons. Marc has a 62.1 passing completion rate, 22,814 yards 122 TDs, 254 sacks, and 93 interceptions. Rushed for 1,863 yards, 8 TDs, and fumbled 42 times. Bring back after one year of retirement. Would work with Jim Zorn again as his QB coach. If nothing else maybe he helps Matt Cassel to be better QB and start if needed.

I don't see how any of these QBs better the team. Bulger wasn't that good when he was young, Garrard was in the Wizard of Oz: lacks heart, Campbell has never looked like anything more than a deer in headlights to me, Orton pretty much is another Cassel, and Cassel is obviously Cassel. I guess if they could get Orton cheaper than Cassel, I'd be alright with that. Orton does have a slightly stronger arm, I suppose.

BoneKrusher
02-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Orton does have a slightly stronger arm, I suppose.

Orton is WAY better than Mark Castle plus he isnt glued to just one WR.

Akron's#1ChiefsFan
02-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Orton is WAY better than Mark Castle plus he isnt glued to just one WR.

He's really not any better than Cassel. He has flashes where he looks good, but so does Cassel. When everything goes right, they both look pretty good. Most of the time though, they're both just meh. There's a reason that neither one has ever really done anything in their "illustrious careers."