PDA

View Full Version : Economics Pakis get more Obamabucks in his budget

HonestChieffan
02-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Obama’s recently unveiled 2013 budget proposal seeks to boost aid to Pakistan to $2.4 billion, a sizable increase from the $1.9 billion the country received in 2011.

Does this make any sense at all?

http://freebeacon.com/obama-wants-to-increase-money-to-pakistan/

Amnorix
02-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Pakistan is the new riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in mystery, or whatever Churchill's exact quote is.

Here's the bottom line -- we really, REALLY want to have them supporting us. They are in a strategically critical position, geographically, religiously and any other "ly" you can think of, to advance, or retard, our agenda in the GWoT. I don't trust the ISI as far as I can throw them, but I'm sure there are other elements in the Pakistani government that are interested in working with us and not turning into a state run by religious, anti-West nutbags.

I don't know how to support them, how to give THEM leverage to help us, how to increase OUR leverage, without throwing a shitload of money at them. Certainly there is other stuff we can throw at them, but money is safest. I'd rather not give them advanced military hardware (moreso than necessary anyway).

If Pakistan goes against us, then (with Iran on the other side of it), Afghanistan is absolutely lost to us. Might as well throw in the white towel at that point for the Taliban etc. Not at all what we want.

So yeah, not thrilled to give them that kind of scratch, but willing to defer to whatever the State Department/military/POTUS think we need to do there.

La literatura
02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
It depends on what the money goes to. Pakistan isn't just the country that harbored Osama bin Ladin. It's also the country that is a complete mess. It's holding on by a thread, and if that thread breaks, it won't be just harboring a terrorist, it can be ruled by a terrorist. And not just any terrorist, but a terrorist with nuclear bombs. Who can blow up India.

Pakistan is a bigger threat than Iran, in my opinion.

go bowe
02-14-2012, 08:35 PM
It depends on what the money goes to. Pakistan isn't just the country that harbored Osama bin Ladin. It's also the country that is a complete mess. It's holding on by a thread, and if that thread breaks, it won't be just harboring a terrorist, it can be ruled by a terrorist. And not just any terrorist, but a terrorist with nuclear bombs. Who can blow up India.

Pakistan is a bigger threat than Iran, in my opinion.

potentially, yes...

but for the moment the threats going back and forth between us and the iranians are pretty big and the danger of miscalculation which could lead to open warfare...

pakistan has never directly attacked us and have to the best of my knowledge never threatened to attack us...

yeah, they closed our drone base and shut down the nato supply routes but they haven't threatened us and they still permit drone strikes (while complaining about them publicly)...

iran is practically on a war footing now and it looks to get worse as the supreme leader is very old and very dogmatic and he actually thinks iran can beat us in a military confrontation...

and with elections coming up, the supreme leader wants to promote hostility with the u.s. to unify the people behind the regime...

in the short term iran is definitely the greater threat...

but i agree with you that things in pakistan could get much worse very quickly if the pak army loses control of their nukes...

compared to the potential threat from pakistan, iran would be no more than a speed bump...

mikey23545
02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Pakis get more Obamabucks in his budget

It makes more sense if you call them Husseinbucks.

Ugly Duck
02-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Does this make any sense at all?

Get a map & look up where the supply routes to our troops in Afghanistan are. We don't get to drive all our stuff through Pakistan for free... they don't like us much.

stevieray
02-15-2012, 04:47 PM
....he could borrow and give away a trillion from the corporation known as the FED to spongebob squarepants and the usual ballwashers would lick it up.

HonestChieffan
02-15-2012, 04:49 PM
I thought we wanted to get out of the nation building business. Now we are back in it with the Pakis even more than before? One needs a chart to know good war money from bad war money.

stevieray
02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
I thought we wanted to get out of the nation building business. Now we are back in it with the Pakis even more than before? One needs a chart to know good war money from bad war money.

back in the day, almost every casualty from Iraq was brought up on a weekly, if not daily basis..

Afghanistan?

HonestChieffan
02-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Bad war=Body Count
Good War=More aid

go bowe
02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Bad war=Body Count
Good War=More aid

there's something to that...

i presume you're talking about the iraq war, bad...

and the afghanistan war as good war?

or are you referring to a war in pakistan?

either way, you have a point...

mikey23545
02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Bad war=Body Count
Good War=More aid

Main Stream Media=Extremely Liberal
News=Newspeak

chiefforlife
02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
If you dont like it, elect Ron Paul...a savings of 2.4 Billion. Just the beginning.