PDA

View Full Version : Life How would you handle a survivalist situation? Take 2

petegz28
02-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Watching a show called Doomsday Preppers...very interesting. So it makes one have to wonder, if a tragic event happened and you were suddenly without access to food, water, electricity, fuel, protection, etc., what would you do?

Poll to follow...

petegz28
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Forgot the poll....:DOH!:

MOhillbilly
02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Id shoot and eat every thing that moved. Preppin is a joke imo.

Brock
02-14-2012, 05:18 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255360

petegz28
02-14-2012, 05:18 PM
If you found yourself in a survivalist situation how would you fare?

Poll coming for real this time

Rain Man
02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Step 1. Find someone who prepared.

Step 2. Kill them and take their stuff.

Actually, I'm interested in this stuff and really want to be prepared. I need to move it up my priority list.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-14-2012, 05:23 PM
I'd post a poll on Chiefs Planet to find out what to do. But I wouldn't forget the poll.

Raiderhader
02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Have gun, will eat.

Kyle DeLexus
02-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Actually, I'm interested in this stuff and really want to be prepared. I need to move it up my priority list.

I'll sell you a starter kit for a relatively small fee. Oh, I can also offer to take care of your cats if you die in the Apocalypse. You have to pay up front though.

dilligaf
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't have much food storage but I have emergency kits, guns and A LOT of ammo.

Kyle DeLexus
Couldn't you have added the poll on the other thread?

seclark
figure out how to make some kind of booze.
survive.
sec

petegz28
02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Couldn't you have added the poll on the other thread?

I tried but it wouldn't let me go back and do it or I couldn't figure it out..

rageeumr
02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
I thought about this a lot during the banking collapses in 2008. I would be really, really screwed if something like that went down. I have no food stores to speak of and I don't own a gun.

petegz28
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I thought about this a lot during the banking collapses in 2008. I would be really, really screwed if something like that went down. I have no food stores to speak of and I don't own a gun.

I'm not so much worried about a financial crisis as I am some whackjob group popping off a few suitcase nukes around the country. That and a natural tragedy like an immense earthquake or meteor impact or something that just ****ed up everything.

DeezNutz
02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
meooer impact or something that just ****ed up everything.

As long as you don't entice them with grape Gatorade, meooers shouldn't bother you.

petegz28
02-14-2012, 05:36 PM
As long as you don't entice them with grape Gatorade, meooers shouldn't bother you.

LMAO, I just noticed that

LiveSteam
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
food,water,guns,ammo,small bills & change,lamps & oil,coleman lanterns & fuel,TP, My inventory goes on for ever,I wish the room in my house went on forever.

MOhillbilly
02-14-2012, 05:45 PM
I don't have much food storage but I have emergency kits, guns and A LOT of ammo.

Why would you need a lot of ammo for? You can't carry it all with you. If you stay put your gonna probably die faster.

petegz28
02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Why would you need a lot of ammo for? You can't carry it all with you. If you stay put your gonna probably die faster.

The ammo point you bring up is a good one. I realized I had too much at the house to practically move with in a dire situation so I stashed a bunch at our lake house which is where I ultimately would go in such a situation.

LiveSteam
02-14-2012, 05:49 PM

If the unthinkable was ever to happen. ammo can be traded for goods to survive
Everyone thinks.O I HAVE A GUN I CAN FEED MY FAMILY. Thats pure bull shit.

seclark
02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
I tried but it wouldn't let me go back and do it or I couldn't figure it out..

i think you're going to perish.
sec

Fish
02-14-2012, 05:50 PM

It depends on where you happen to be....

LiveSteam
02-14-2012, 05:52 PM
It depends on where you happen to be....

& which land owners allow you to hunt,if any at all. & IF you have fuel for your trucks to go out hunting. I agree those that live out in the country will have a better time of it.

MOhillbilly
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Those who hunker down will die faster. Mass anarchy....why the fuck would you get onto a gun fight? Burn em, starve em, hunt em and hide. Your lake house wouldn't be much defense against a fire bomb at night. Most preppers arent really in touch. Imo.

Hydrae
02-14-2012, 05:55 PM

This but I know people with guns and a place to go. I have thought about it and feel relatively comfortable even without large stores or weapons.

LiveSteam
Most preppers arent really in touch. Imo.

So were 2 out of 3 lil pigs :evil:

Gonzo
Forgot the poll....:DOH!:

I'll merge the threads shortly...
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
02-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Ammo and guns wouldnt be in short supply after the first few months.

LiveSteam
02-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Ammo and guns wouldnt be in short supply after the first few months.

I have some home made Claymore mines for trade.

Dartgod
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM

Teedubya FTW

MahiMike
02-14-2012, 06:06 PM
These people are like the super religious. They're wasting this life in the hopes that the next one will be better.

Bwana
02-14-2012, 06:09 PM
It would be a pain in the ass, but I'm not worried about it.

Raiderhader
02-14-2012, 06:11 PM

Only if you're a bad shot.

petegz28
02-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Those who hunker down will die faster. Mass anarchy....why the **** would you get onto a gun fight? Burn em, starve em, hunt em and hide. Your lake house wouldn't be much defense against a fire bomb at night. Most preppers arent really in touch. Imo.

You're not taking into account tactics one would have to employ. As I stated I would ultimately go to my lake house and that would be a fairly decent "base" per sey. Far from the city, lot's of wildlife, easier to defend.

That being said I would never make the mistake of actually staying in the lake house night and day. In fact I would probably spend most of my time out in the surrounding wilderness keeping an "eye" on things. I'm not dumb enough to put myself in the middle of a would-be trap. Especially at night. It would be much easier and smarter to spend time during the day there and outside at night if we are talking about the kind of situation I think you are.

petegz28
02-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Only if you're a bad shot.

Actually using your gun to hunt for food would be tremendously stupid. It's a huge waste of Ammo for one. Secondly you may not want the attention a gunshot might draw from others.

Personally, and I am not a hunter of wildlife, but in said situation, snares, traps, fishing and bow hunting would be my preference. Save the bullets for the people.

Raiderhader
02-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Actually using your gun to hunt for food would be tremendously stupid. It's a huge waste of Ammo for one. Secondly you may not want the attention a gunshot might draw from others.

Personally, and I am not a hunter of wildlife, but in said situation, snares, traps, fishing and bow hunting would be my preference. Save the bullets for the people.

I absolutely agree. I was responding to a specific statement that it was bullshit to think you could feed your family because one owns a gun.

petegz28
02-14-2012, 06:30 PM
I am asking for it on this one, I know but...

who has some good booby-trap ideas??

Bwana
02-14-2012, 06:33 PM

There are several out there that you can make, depending on what you are trying to trap/kill.

Dartgod
02-14-2012, 06:35 PM

http://www.instructables.com/image/F0F54MHGK0YV0IK/Booby-Trap.jpg

Groves
02-14-2012, 06:36 PM
I'll tell you what will be scarce...plate glass.

petegz28
02-14-2012, 06:36 PM
This but I know people with guns and a place to go. I have thought about it and feel relatively comfortable even without large stores or weapons.

The problem with that though is you are assuming you could get to them, if they are alive. I am not saying it's a totally stupid idea but there has to be some degree of self-reliance in the equation, imo.

My buddy's lake house is about 1 1/2 hours away from mine. His strategy is similar to mine only the nutjob already has shit mapped out on how we would get to each other on foot, where we would meet out in the wilderness, etc., etc. I laughed my ass off when he showed me that stuff but if the day ever comes I'll be kissing his ass for thinking of it.

LiveSteam
02-14-2012, 06:38 PM

You need to know your stuff to run trap lines.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17093/17093-h/17093-h.htm

petegz28
02-14-2012, 06:38 PM
There are several out there that you can make, depending on what you are trying to trap/kill.

Well, given the area I would be in it would be mostly deer, rabbit, I guess coyote since you do have to eat. I am sure there are turkey and wild hog around though I've never seen them around there but I haven't gone looking either. And of course a huge fucking lake full of fish and snakes.

Kyle DeLexus
02-14-2012, 06:40 PM

If you have to ask, you most likely didn't make it.

Don't feel bad you probably had a good run, but ultimately came up short.

MOhillbilly
02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
You're not taking into account tactics one would have to employ. As I stated I would ultimately go to my lake house and that would be a fairly decent "base" per sey. Far from the city, lot's of wildlife, easier to defend.

That being said I would never make the mistake of actually staying in the lake house night and day. In fact I would probably spend most of my time out in the surrounding wilderness keeping an "eye" on things. I'm not dumb enough to put myself in the middle of a would-be trap. Especially at night. It would be much easier and smarter to spend time during the day there and outside at night if we are talking about the kind of situation I think you are.

Outside is even better.

seclark
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM

hunt, gather, produce and protect.
punji sticks ftw
sec

tmax63
02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't have a ton of ammo but the capability and knowledge/tools/supplies to make plenty. I have thought out a plan or 3 in the event something happens so that in the initial stages I can act while people are in the "oh shit what am I going to do stage".

Phobia
02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I'll be shooting fat people first. They smoke up nicely and the meat just falls right off the femur.

Gonzo
02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
I'll be shooting fat people first. They smoke up nicely and the meat just falls right off the femur.

The only problem with this is that you can get several illnesses from cannibalism. Not to mention constipation, tooth loss and Kuru. You don't want to fuck around with Kuru. It's a bitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
02-14-2012, 08:50 PM
The only problem with this is that you can get several illnesses from cannibalism. Not to mention constipation, tooth loss and Kuru. You don't want to **** around with Kuru. It's a bitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

My immune system is already built a defense against all that. I eat some jerky from our undertaker 3 or 4x a week.

Gonzo
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
My immune system is already built a defense against all that. I eat some jerky from our undertaker 3 or 4x a week.
Yeah, the salt and high temps used to make jerky will usually destroy kuru. However, smoking the infected tissue will not rid it of it's infectious properties. The Asmat tribe of Papua/New Guinea figured this out the hard way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
I'd pack up my guns and ammo and head to either bwana or mohillbilly's property.

LiveSteam
02-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Fried Placenta

http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/placenta-recipes.htm

Gonzo
02-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Fried Placenta

http://www.mothers35plus.co.uk/placenta-recipes.htm

Soak that in italian dressing for at least 48 hours. That shit has a strong liver flavor.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam
02-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Soak that in italian dressing for at least 48 hours. That shit has a strong liver flavor.
Posted via Mobile Device

YUK! Its coyote bait!

Gonzo
02-14-2012, 10:51 PM
YUK! Its coyote bait!
Placenta fried up with scrambled eggs and shredded fetus = winning.

(Watch out for Kuru though. It's a bitch.)
Posted via Mobile Device

scott free
02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
figure out how to make some kind of booze.
survive.
sec

Yep... yeast, creek water & some kind of canned fruit, i'll watch the world kill itself in a merry stupor.

Amnorix
02-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I'll sue the world for putting me in such a bad position. Unfortunately, I'll be dead before I get to trial.

KC Tattoo
02-15-2012, 09:21 AM
I'd post a poll on Chiefs Planet to find out what to do. But I wouldn't forget the poll.

Send Bob Dole a PM about it.

Saulbadguy
02-15-2012, 09:21 AM
I would drive to my friends house. He is gullible and paranoid, so he's prepared well for the end of times.

bevischief
02-15-2012, 09:26 AM
I have already done from August to November this past year.

tooge
02-15-2012, 09:38 AM
saw preppers last night, and one guy has a shit ton of booze. Not to drink, but to "barter" with. Really? As soon as I'm in his inner circle of confidence, its party time

tooge
02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
I think if you are in a large city, really anything larger than maybe 10k people, you are toast unless you are extremely lucky or extremely fortified.

seclark
02-15-2012, 09:50 AM
I think if you are in a large city, really anything larger than maybe 10k people, you are toast unless you are extremely lucky or extremely fortified.

Graystoke
02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I am thinking I am pretty much fucked. Plenty of water, I live on a lake so I could fish. I heat with wood and there are plenty of trees on my property. Tons of Ammo.

But going without booze?
What about the Medicinal MJ?

Nah...I am going out with the ship.

38yrsfan
02-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Don't really have all this preparing for the end of the world but we are pretty well set; lots of ammo, especially .22, a well-stocked reloading equipment bench, medical supplies with heavy emphasis on the everyday-need basics, stored food and access to fresh "food", access to water and methods for purifying.

Need to get a bigger supply of food for the dog. A good dog would be very useful and a transition to him eating game on his own should be gradual; forget the White Fang approach to keep them healthier.

The biggest need would be an alternative energy source like water or wind, only so much gas storage for the generators and EPA is so damn stringent about underground fuel storage. Year round consistent water would be best.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Lot's of top marksmen....very few Bwana's....

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Don't really have all this preparing for the end of the world but we are pretty well set; lots of ammo, especially .22, a well-stocked reloading equipment bench, medical supplies with heavy emphasis on the everyday-need basics, stored food and access to fresh "food", access to water and methods for purifying.

Need to get a bigger supply of food for the dog. A good dog would be very useful and a transition to him eating game on his own should be gradual; forget the White Fang approach to keep them healthier.

The biggest need would be an alternative energy source like water or wind, only so much gas storage for the generators and EPA is so damn stringent about underground fuel storage. Year round consistent water would be best.

What ya gonna do with that .22? I guess it's good for some small game hunting but don't you want something just a TOUCH bigger to drop someone trying to take your shit?

Bwana
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
What ya gonna do with that .22? I guess it's good for some small game hunting but don't you want something just a TOUCH bigger to drop someone trying to take your shit?

Don't underestimate what a .22 can kill. I have killed more deer with a .22 than any other rifle. I wouldn't go after a grizzly with the thing, but it you pop a dude in the gord, it's lights out.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Don't underestimate what a .22 can kill. I have killed more deer with a .22 than any other rifle. I wouldn't go after a grizzly with the thing, but it you pop a dude in the gord, it's lights out.

Now that would be something to see, a deer taken down with a .22? That's sick marksmanship right there.

When it comes to people and a .22 all I can remember is a local story several years ago about a car accident and one of the drivers tried to pop the other in the head with a .22 from about 15 ft away and the round bounced off his head.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I'll readily admit that though I fancy myself a very good marksman with a .22 rifle I don't know that I would want to take a chance with one against a person. Not saying it wouldn't be lethal just that I'd rather put a .223 or a 7.62 in them and be a little more confident.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Ok, so how many of you "Have Gun, Will Eat" types have a nice AR? I contemplated on buying a nice Colt but I thought in a situation such as we are talking it would really suck to have to clean the damn thing all the time and make sure you are putting good ammo through the thing. Not saying it isn't doable just seemed to add to the equation of complexity.

I settled on an admitedly less accurate Mini-14. Same round as most AR's but can take much more abuse, doesn't need quite the babying cleaning wise and will fire any crap ammo you feed it. If range is an issue I'd rather use a 30 ought 6 anyway over an AR.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I'll readily admit that though I fancy myself a very good marksman with a .22 rifle I don't know that I would want to take a chance with one against a person. Not saying it wouldn't be lethal just that I'd rather put a .223 or a 7.62 in them and be a little more confident.

Oh, no doubt about it. My Glock 20 will do a great job with a man, whereas my Smith & Wesson .500, would be overkill. The ammo makes a big difference as well. I have 3 high capacity round clips for my Glock. There are different bullets loaded into each 15 round clip. The choice of clip I stick in, all depends on what I'm shooting, or what I think I may have to shoot.

Detoxing
02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Just like any good city slicker, I have nothing and nowhere to go.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Oh, no doubt about it. My Glock 20 will do a great job with a man, whereas my Smith & Wesson .500, would be overkill. The ammo makes a big difference as well. I have 3 high capacity round clips for my Glock. There are different bullets loaded into each 15 round clip. The choice of clip I stick in, all depends on what I'm shooting, or what I think I may have to shoot.

Yeah, I am similar in that regard. I have 3 clips for my Berretta .40. One, the one I keep in it has my "people killers" in it, meaning my higher load hollow points. I keep a clip of some nice FMJ's that are a little smaller load for times I carry it and then one clip for range rounds. Only thing that sucks is with their clips you HAVE to use the clip loader to load the rounds. I need to improve that situation but the Glok felt a little too bulky and I wasn't ready to drop the money on a Sig.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I am similar in that regard. I have 3 clips for my Berretta .40. One, the one I keep in it has my "people killers" in it, meaning my higher load hollow points. I keep a clip of some nice FMJ's that are a little smaller load for times I carry it and then one clip for range rounds. Only thing that sucks is with their clips you HAVE to use the clip loader to load the rounds. I need to improve that situation but the Glok felt a little too bulky and I wasn't ready to drop the money on a Sig.

I love the Glock. I have run well over 1000 rounds through that thing and I haven't had one jam yet.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
I love the Glock. I have run well over 1000 rounds through that thing and I haven't had one jam yet.

I haven't had any jams with my Berretta either. I've put well over 2000 rounds through it. I usually go through about 250 at the range. It's sweet, pretty accurate and little recoil. I get a lot of compliments on it but as I said, loading the clip just sucks balls. Not sure if they make a speed loader for it or not? Haven't really looked because I keep saying I'm gonna break down and buy a Sig.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 04:50 PM
I haven't had any jams with my Berretta either. I've put well over 2000 rounds through it. I usually go through about 250 at the range. It's sweet, pretty accurate and little recoil. I get a lot of compliments on it but as I said, loading the clip just sucks balls. Not sure if they make a speed loader for it or not? Haven't really looked because I keep saying I'm gonna break down and buy a Sig.

The Glock clips aren't bad to load, other than bullet number 15. That can put a dent in your thumb and make you earn your keep. :)

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:52 PM
The Glock clips aren't bad to load, other than bullet number 15. That can put a dent in your thumb and make you earn your keep. :)

I hear that. All my clips are 15 as well. And they are stiff as fuck. I toyed with the idea of loosening the spring in them some but I don't want that to come back and haunt me when I need it.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 04:53 PM
I hear that. All my clips are 15 as well. And they are stiff as ****. I toyed with the idea of loosening the spring in them some but I don't want that to come back and haunt me when I need it.

Yeah, not a good idea. I wouldn't do that either.

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 04:56 PM
I'd be fucked.

I live in a rather large metro area. Don't have a gun. Never had a gun. Never shot a gun. Never cleaned a gun. I feel confident that I could figure all that out thanks to the television, but I'd have to come across one first. Food to last me for a couple weeks. Never been hunting. Don't know how to hunt, but I have watched Man vs. Wild. I know how to fish but not how to gut and clean them. I'm a college student so I don't have anything to trade.

I think I really need to buy a gun...

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah, not a good idea. I wouldn't do that either.

Yeah, I don't suppose if it came down to a situation I would really be needing to speed load pistol clips. If that's the case I think I am fucked anyway.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 04:59 PM
I'd be ****ed.

I live in a rather large metro area. Don't have a gun. Never had a gun. Never shot a gun. Never cleaned a gun. I feel confident that I could figure all that out thanks to the television, but I'd have to come across one first. Food to last me for a couple weeks. Never been hunting. Don't know how to hunt, but I have watched Man vs. Wild. I know how to fish but not how to gut and clean them. I'm a college student so I don't have anything to trade.

I think I really need to buy a gun...

I think just about everyone should own a firearm if for nothing else, home protection. These cities like Chicago and NY that make it such a pain in the ass to buy a firearm are fucked up. I believe in Chicago they have a law that says if someone breaks into your home and you can get out of the house without confrontation then it is upon you to do so while allowing the intruder to take your shit without any threat of harm. Or maybe that's somewhere int he state of PA? Either way, it's fucking stupid.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I don't suppose if it came down to a situation I would really be needing to speed load pistol clips. If that's the case I think I am ****ed anyway.

Yeah, if what you're trying to kill won't die with 14 rounds, save the last one for youself.

Epic Fail 007
02-15-2012, 05:02 PM
why you watchin that shit?Its bs

petegz28
02-15-2012, 05:06 PM

What's BS? I think some of the fears some of these people have are BS but not the bottom line.

Am I worried about the Yellowstone super-volcano blowing? Not really.

Am I worried about a mass earthquake on the New Madrid fault line? Slightly

Am I worried about EMP? Fairly since it could come from many sources, including our own sun or a gamma ray from light years away,

Am I worried about a meteor impact that devistates the country? Fairly.

Am I worried about some whacko's popping off a suitcase nuke or two in a populated area? I think it may be a matter of time.

Point is there is no one who knows what exactly tomorrow may bring and being prepared is definitely not a bad thing.

Bwana

STFU

Umm Jr, it's hypothetical. Now run along.

ThaVirus
I think just about everyone should own a firearm if for nothing else, home protection. These cities like Chicago and NY that make it such a pain in the ass to buy a firearm are ****ed up. I believe in Chicago they have a law that says if someone breaks into your home and you can get out of the house without confrontation then it is upon you to do so while allowing the intruder to take your shit without any threat of harm. Or maybe that's somewhere int he state of PA? Either way, it's ****ing stupid.

I understand what you're saying. There are some crazy people out there. I've just never been the type to be worried about danger. My roommate gets pissed at me for leaving the door unlocked when I'm home (I've even been known to leave the door ajar on accident). I know the threat of home invasion is very real, but its just one of those things that you never think will happen to you...

petegz28
02-15-2012, 05:09 PM
I understand what you're saying. There are some crazy people out there. I've just never been the type to be worried about danger though. My roommate gets pissed at me for leaving the door unlocked when I'm home (I've even been known to leave the food ajar on accident). I know the threat of home invasion is very real, but its just one of those things that you never think will happen to you...

Right, until it does. A lot of staying out of danger is not putting yourself in a dangerous spot to begin with. Though that is eaier said than done. In my neigborhood I could confidently leave my front door wide open for a week an not be worried 1 iota of being robbed. In the neighborhood I grew up in I would never leave so much as a window cracked if I left the house.

Raiderhader
02-15-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.hornady.com/assets/images/products/ammo/packaging/zombie-family.png

http://www.hornady.com/store/Zombie-Max-new

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Right, until it does. A lot of staying out of danger is not putting yourself in a dangerous spot to begin with. Though that is eaier said than done. In my neigborhood I could confidently leave my front door wide open for a week an not be worried 1 iota of being robbed. In the neighborhood I grew up in I would never leave so much as a window cracked if I left the house.

I've been very interested in buying a gun lately. I was looking into handguns online but don't even know where to begin. I just want something fairly reliable and preferably not too expensive.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 05:18 PM
I've been very interested in buying a gun lately. I was looking into handguns online but don't even know where to begin. I just want something fairly reliable and preferably not too expensive.

The best way to figure that out, is to go to a local shooting range, where they rent hand guns. Shoot several different models, until you find something that fits.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM

You get what you pay for to a point. Don't settle for cheap but you don't have to breal the bank either. A Berretta, Glok, Ruger, Smith & Wesson I would say are all good and reliable while not overly expensive. I always felt a .38 is a good gun both for stopping power and handling for someone who has never really handled a firearm. They are easy to conceal and should still put a mother fucker down but depending on how amped up the target is it could take 2 rounds, depending on ammo of course.

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
The best way to figure that out, is to go to a local shooting range, where they rent hand guns. Shoot several different models, until you find something that fits.

That's what I've heard. How much would an excursion like that cost me?

Bwana
02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
That's what I've heard. How much would an excursion like that cost me?

I don't know about other places, but the indoor shooting range here in town, is very reasonable. If you have never shot a hand gun before, it will let you know what you are comfortable with. I may keep you from running out and buying something you don't like.

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 05:23 PM
You get what you pay for to a point. Don't settle for cheap but you don't have to breal the bank either. A Berretta, Glok, Ruger, Smith & Wesson I would say are all good and reliable while not overly expensive. I always felt a .38 is a good gun both for stopping power and handling for someone who has never really handled a firearm. They are easy to conceal and should still put a mother ****er down but depending on how amped up the target is it could take 2 rounds, depending on ammo of course.

This would be purely for home protection and I don't have kids so concealing it isn't an issue; at the same time I don't need a Desert Eagle. From all those you listed I've been leaning more toward a glock based on what I've read. Ill have to go to a range at some point and put it to the test..

petegz28
02-15-2012, 05:25 PM
This would be purely for home protection and I don't have kids so concealing it isn't an issue, at the same time I don't need a Desert Eagle. From all those you listed I've been leaning more toward a glock based on what I've read. Ill have to go to a range at some point and put it to the test..

I wanted the Glok as well but the Berretta just felt better to me. Bwana is exactly right. Rent a few and see what feels best to you. My buddy has a super nice .45 that he loves but I could take it or leave it.

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't know about other places, but the indoor shooting range here in town, is very reasonable. If you have never shot a hand gun before, it will let you know what you are comfortable with. I may keep you from running out and buying something you don't like.

OK, thanks. There's a place called Shoot Straight like 20 minutes from my house. Ill have to check it out. You don't have to have any experience or license to walk in and shoot a gun do you?

Bwana
02-15-2012, 05:28 PM
This would be purely for home protection and I don't have kids so concealing it isn't an issue; at the same time I don't need a Desert Eagle. From all those you listed I've been leaning more toward a glock based on what I've read. Ill have to go to a range at some point and put it to the test..

If the gun is never going to leave the house, consider a 12 gauge. You can pick up a nice Remmington 870 for $250-270 bones.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 05:31 PM
OK, thanks. There's a place called Shoot Straight like 20 minutes from my house. Ill have to check it out. You don't have to have any experience or license to walk in and shoot a gun do you?

No

You can walk in and rent a full auto, down in vegas.

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
If the gun is never going to leave the house, consider a 12 gauge. You can pick up a nice Remmington 870 for $250-270 bones.

I thought about that. My friend just recently bought a pistol and a shotgun. Maybe ill start off with a handgun then work my way up; shottys scare me a bit. That's a lot of power.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM

Best advice right there. A shotgun is the ultimate in home protection. When you consider that if someone breaks into your house you are going to be scared, I don't care how brave mother ****ers talk, if you ain't scared you're stupid. Plus there's a good chance it's dark and you won't see well.

12 guage...point, shoot, call the meat wagon!

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 05:35 PM
No

You can walk in and rent a full auto, down in vegas.

Perfect.

Since I've got you on the hook. Assume I bought a glock and that Remington 870 you mentioned. How much does ammunition run you? Also, how often does a gun need to be cleaned to remain reliable?

petegz28
02-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Perfect.

Since I've got you on the hook. Assume I bought a glock and that Remington 870 you mentioned. How much does ammunition run you? Also, how often does a gun need to be cleaned to remain reliable?

I clean mine every time I am done firing it. If I go a while without hitting the range I will clean it every month or two. Not sure if it needs it that often without being fired but it's something nice to do on a rainy day.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Perfect.

As far as the Glock, if you get a 9MM, the ammo is very reasonable. On the other hand, if you move up into a 10mm (Glock 20) it can get a lot more expensive and ammo can dry up at sporting goods stores.

A Glock 20 would be a bad choice for a first hand gun, so no big deal. A box of shot gun shells (25) can be had for under $12. I like 4 shot for home use. Dead perp, pellets stop before they go through your wall and take out your neighbor. If you were in a house with think walls, nothing beats 00 buck.

One advantage to a pump shotgun, is they are a piece of cake to clean. Seriously, if you don't shoot it much, just run a rod with a cleaning patch through it and you're done. An automatic pistol takes a lot more cleaning, if you expect it to work properly.

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 06:11 PM
I clean mine every time I am done firing it. If I go a while without hitting the range I will clean it every month or two. Not sure if it needs it that often without being fired but it's something nice to do on a rainy day.
OK cool. That's probably what I would have done had I not asked you anyway.

As far as the Glock, if you get a 9MM, the ammo is very reasonable. On the other hand, if you move up into a 10mm (Glock 20) it can get a lot more expensive and ammo can dry up at sporting goods stores.

A Glock 20 would be a bad choice for a first hand gun, so no big deal. A box of shot gun shells (25) can be had for under $12. I like 4 shot for home use. Dead perp, pellets stop before they go through your wall and take out your neighbor. If you were in a house with think walls, nothing beats 00 buck.

One advantage to a pump shotgun, is they are a piece of cake to clean. Seriously, if you don't shoot it much, just run a rod with a cleaning patch through it and you're done. An automatic pistol takes a lot more cleaning, if you expect it to work properly.

Bwana, I think you just sold me a shotgun, brother.

Bwana
02-15-2012, 06:21 PM

Low maintenance, maximum stopping power at close range, it can't be beat. Let me know how it goes.

petegz28
02-15-2012, 07:06 PM

Bwana is spot on. It's hard to miss with a shotgun at close range and you figure worst case scenario is it's dark, you can't see good and you're scared and shaking. You don't have to have pin-point accuracy with a 12 gauge.

trndobrd
02-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Bwana is spot on. It's hard to miss with a shotgun at close range and you figure worst case scenario is it's dark, you can't see good and you're scared and shaking. You don't have to have pin-point accuracy with a 12 gauge.

Even an 18.5" barrel shotgun isn't going to give more than a few inch pattern within most in home distances. While that's better than a single projectile, it is not the case that a person can hit an intruder by simply pointing a shotgun in the general direction and pulling the trigger (although a brown stain is virtually guaranteed).

Like any other firearm, practice is important. Also, a good set of ghost ring sights are easy to use and extremely effective.

Mossberg and some other brands offer packages that come with multiple barrels and tubes that can be easily swapped out for hunting or home defense.

banyon
02-15-2012, 09:37 PM

This is highly depending on the situation. With some scenarios and locales, it is very true that you need to get the hell out of Dodge ASAP. With others, it may not help or may make matters worse to leave your supplies.

If you are a real prepper, then you need to also prepare for the lazy a** preppers who didn't bother to store anything away but ammo. IOW, be ready to cap some of those clowns also to protect what you have, if need be. However, in most of the scenarios where you'll be shooting the lazy a-holes,it makes more sense to get away.

RJ
02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
For a long term (permanent) situation I would rather have seeds than weapons.

Short term (2 weeks or less) bottled water would be the prized possession.

Disclaimer: I am admittedly not well informed on Apocalyptic or Doomsday type events.

Epic Fail 007
02-15-2012, 09:52 PM
STFU

Umm Jr, it's hypothetical. Now run along.

Say what you want and I will say what I want. Its as simple as that. Now shut your pie hole.JR wtf is that all about idiot?

Pioli Zombie
02-15-2012, 10:02 PM
If I was marooned on an island with Ginger and Mary Anne I would eat them.

cumuluv
02-15-2012, 10:07 PM
I'd eat the professor!! Lol

Bump
02-15-2012, 10:08 PM

me too, I never get around to it. I should at least have a mother****ing badass bug out kit or a good amount of dry food that will last a long time. Something most def could happen, if the Sun EMP's us or some other country and there is no electricity? That's ****ing choas, even if only temporarily. Or the attack on our currency could happen too making only the elite to afford food, water, gas, etc. It's not totally crazy when you think about it. And I need to register for a shotgun and get a couple, I'm without arms, that wouldn't be good.

Bwana
02-16-2012, 03:04 AM
Say what you want and I will say what I want. Its as simple as that. Now shut your pie hole.JR wtf is that all about idiot?

LMAO

Dartgod
02-16-2012, 06:46 AM
You don't want to **** around with Kuru. It's a bitch.

Kuru is no laughing matter.

LiveSteam
02-16-2012, 06:54 AM
me too, I never get around to it. I should at least have a mother****ing badass bug out kit or a good amount of dry food that will last a long time. Something most def could happen, if the Sun EMP's us or some other country and there is no electricity? That's ****ing choas, even if only temporarily. Or the attack on our currency could happen too making only the elite to afford food, water, gas, etc. It's not totally crazy when you think about it. And I need to register for a shotgun and get a couple, I'm without arms, that wouldn't be good.

Mr.Bump. Just grab an ounce or Q/P of killer bud like Northern lights & head for my house. I have everything else taken care of.

LiveSteam
02-16-2012, 06:55 AM

Polly waddle doodle da da day

trndobrd
02-16-2012, 07:38 AM

What kind of uncivilized country do you live in that you need to register to buy a shotgun?

Gonzo
02-16-2012, 08:33 AM
My father taught me all the Military survival shit I'd ever need. I have cases of ammo plus the means to reload the ammo myself. I have more than enough weapons as well.
I think the only thing that might get me is that goddamned surprise zombie that hangs out under stairwells and shit. Surprise zombies piss me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian
02-16-2012, 10:29 AM
I have skillz.

Calcountry
02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
This:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9IVCwYPjFXc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sofa King
02-16-2012, 12:21 PM
My father taught me all the Military survival shit I'd ever need. I have cases of ammo plus the means to reload the ammo myself. I have more than enough weapons as well.
I think the only thing that might get me is that goddamned surprise zombie that hangs out under stairwells and shit. Surprise zombies piss me off.
Posted via Mobile Device

What about zombie Lumpy?

What happens when the girl you "love" is turned into a zombie. Do you do the merciful thing and blow her head off (with a gun), do u kill yourself, do you take the risk and try to lock her up, do you run away like a little bitch and let her eat your friends, do you let her bite you thus turning you into a zombie and then you attack and eat all your friends together?

Raiderhader
02-16-2012, 01:36 PM
What about zombie Lumpy?

What happens when the girl you "love" is turned into a zombie. Do you do the merciful thing and blow her head off (with a gun), do u kill yourself, do you take the risk and try to lock her up, do you run away like a little bitch and let her eat your friends, do you let her bite you thus turning you into a zombie and then you attack and eat all your friends together?

Kill the bitch and move on. I was tired of her nagging any way.

FishingRod
02-16-2012, 02:38 PM

This

And for those of you that are really nice and would like to give Mr. Zombie the opportunity to rethink which house he should be in. A Pump makes a distinctive and intimidating sound. It might cause a person to leave saving you the trouble of having to clean up brain matter splattered all over your wife’s new wallpaper.

Gonzo
02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
What about zombie Lumpy?

We have an agreement. She'd be taken care of.

raybec 4
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
This

And for those of you that are really nice and would like to give Mr. Zombie the opportunity to rethink which house he should be in. A Pump makes a distinctive and intimidating sound. It might cause a person to leave saving you the trouble of having to clean up brain matter splattered all over your wife’s new wallpaper.

If you get to the point that you're racking the slide you better send some rounds down range.

Raiderhader
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Kill the bitch and move on. I was tired of her nagging any way.

I feel the need to clarify, looking back I guess I missed the "Zombie Lumpy" part and was just focused on the girlfriend scenario. My response was an "in general" response and certainly not directed towards Lumpy. Hell, I'm not sure we have ever exchanged words of any kind with each other. I got nothing against her.

Iowanian
02-16-2012, 05:22 PM
If there is an intruder inside my home, they won't have the privilege of hearing a round being chambered into a shotgun, They'll maybe hear the click of a safety and the sound of their soul departing for hell.

trndobrd
02-16-2012, 05:28 PM
If there is an intruder inside my home, they won't have the privilege of hearing a round being chambered into a shotgun, They'll maybe hear the click of a safety and the sound of their soul departing for hell.

Not going to be yelling "I have a gun!" ?

Raiderhader
02-16-2012, 05:33 PM

Same here. Why waste possible important seconds chambering (or worse loading)?

banyon
02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

What's this about a "safety"?

Iowanian
02-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Not going to be yelling "I have a gun!" ?

Doubt it. I had a friend whose home was entered last week while they were there asleep.

The protection of my family comes a long time before my give a shit about fair play inside the threshold of my doors.

Back on topic.
I think most of the people on that preppers show are doodahs in general, some have some good ideas some are kooks.

I wouldn't call myself a prepper, I don't have 50 tons of food stored, but I do have ample defense available to me, a known location to meet the rest of my inner circle and complete confidence in our ability to stay warm and eat regularly.

Iowanian
02-16-2012, 05:50 PM
What's this about a "safety"?

Depends if it's "Akimbo Glock" night I guess.