PDA

View Full Version : Money Office Manager or Purchasing Manager

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 05:41 PM
I'm an office manager and I have an opportunity to take a job at my current employer as the purchasing manager and develop an entirely new purchasing system. As purchasing manager I would handle all of the purchasing, manage and negotiate all of our contracts with vendors and track costs. As office manager I handle all of the financial transactions, payroll, and take care of all the marketing and advertising. The purchasing manager, although somewhat of a lateral move, would be about a 10% increase in pay. What would you do? If I take the purchasing job my resume would be broader but i'd have less experience as an office manager as well. I'm not sure what I should do here.

BigRichard
02-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Antifreeze?

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Antifreeze?

I'll consider it.

Bwana
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Both of those jobs would kick my ass. I can't stand being behind a desk for more than an hour at a time, that's just not how I'm built. I have to be out there cutting deals, and solving critical refinery, mining and power plant issues. I guess if I had to pick one of those gigs, I would go with purchasing.

58-4ever
02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
is there any kind of bonus structure? 10 percent is a pretty good pay bump. Although the office manager seems like more impactful to the overall company.

My advice: You should stay in the office manager role and ask for a raise.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 06:35 PM
is there any kind of bonus structure? 10 percent is a pretty good pay bump. Although the office manager seems like more impactful to the overall company.

My advice: You should stay in the office manager role and ask for a raise.

No bonuses and there is potential for more money as the office manager. The challenge of implementing a new system is calling out to me though.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Also the purchasing is a mess so if I can turn that around it would be huge for the company and my future with it.

Brock
02-14-2012, 06:49 PM
supply chain is where it's at.

Simplicity
02-14-2012, 06:51 PM
McDonald's is where it's at...

58-4ever
02-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Also the purchasing is a mess so if I can turn that around it would be huge for the company and my future with it.

sounds like you're talking it out on your own.

Bwana
02-14-2012, 06:55 PM
McDonald's is where it's at...

True, but make sure you keep yourself a bad ass steel rod in back, in the event you get a crazy bitch, or two in there.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 06:56 PM
sounds like you're talking it out on your own.

It's what I'm leaning towards. Although I think i would enjoy the job somewhat less I really want the challenge.

joesomebody
02-14-2012, 06:58 PM
supply chain is where it's at.Holla!

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
To make the decision more complicated I work for a college and at the time I am an ambassador for the department. if I take the purchasing job I lose campus wide exposure as well limiting my opportunity for other jobs in other departments. What a complex decision lol

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
supply chain is where it's at.

What do you mean ?

Brock
02-14-2012, 07:03 PM
In american business today, supply chain has all the power and all the money.

You working at a college though, is not something I would know anything about.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:04 PM

So you're saying you would go with the purchasing job I take it.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Purchasing for a college is easy. You have a ton of leverage because of the amount of product you're buying.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM

I'm telling you our purchasing is such a mess I bet I could cut our overhead by at least 20%

Brock
02-14-2012, 07:08 PM
So you're saying you would go with the purchasing job I take it.

I don't know. A college isn't a normal business.

jspchief
02-14-2012, 07:08 PM
Purchasing manager sounds more like an end of the line position.

Phobia
02-14-2012, 07:09 PM
You should do whatever some random stranger on the internet wants you to do.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
You should do whatever some random stranger on the internet wants you to do.

Why do you always bust my chops? I'm just trying to gather as many opinions as possible. I'm not basing my decision solely on what any one person advises.

Bwana
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM

At a college, you may be right, but I deal with several out there, that do very very well.

jspchief
02-14-2012, 07:14 PM
At a college, you may be right, but I deal with several out there, that do very very well.

Not saying anything about what it pays.

I just think you're more likely to be typecast as purchasing vs management, which may hurt future advancement opportunities.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:14 PM

This was my concern but the director told me whatever job I choose for the short term she wants to replace with a GM position beginning this summer. So at this point both jobs are probably limited time. She basically just wants me to develop the purchasing system and move on. I trust her very much she has never lied to me and has always proceeded in my best interest.

Brock
02-14-2012, 07:15 PM
This was my concern but the director told me whatever job I choose for the short term she wants to replace with a GM position beginning this summer. So at this point both jobs are probably limited time. She basically just wants me to develop the purchasing system and move on. I trust her very much she has never lied to me and has always proceeded in my best interest.

Well, there you go.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:16 PM

Sorry I didn't want to put all of this shit in my opening post it was long enough anyhow

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Well, there you go.

you're right, when I see it written out like this it's pretty obvious. This is why I ask these things it helps me way opinions and decisions and get thing on paper.

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:20 PM

See this is part of the paradox because who's to say I stay at the college five years from now? This is the kind of info I'm looking for.

Phobia
02-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Why do you always bust my chops? I'm just trying to gather as many opinions as possible. I'm not basing my decision solely on what any one person advises.

I bust everybody's chops. If I stop it probably means I don't like you.

el borracho
02-14-2012, 07:26 PM
you're right, when I see it written out like this it's pretty obvious. This is why I ask these things it helps me way opinions and decisions and get thing on paper.

know weigh

crispystl420
02-14-2012, 07:37 PM
I bust everybody's chops. If I stop it probably means I don't like you.

I guess it would help if I changed my username. I chose it 8 years ago when I joined. I can't imagine being that immature now.

FAX
02-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Become the purchasing manager, Mr. crispystl420!! That way, I can sell you some stuff!!!

FAX

Saul Good
02-14-2012, 08:04 PM
I will say this much. There are a LOT of perks that come with being a purchasing manager. Vendors will be raining free shit on you.

Buehler445
02-14-2012, 09:29 PM
No bonuses and there is potential for more money as the office manager. The challenge of implementing a new system is calling out to me though.

I was going to say stay where you are until you said it was a temporary thing.

Absolutely go with the purchasing manager. When you move on, you can put on your resume that you independently developed, implemented, maintained, and executed a purchasing system.

Unless you don't want to be in purchasing any longer, take the money, rock it out, move on.

crispystl420
02-15-2012, 04:15 PM
I was going to say stay where you are until you said it was a temporary thing.

Absolutely go with the purchasing manager. When you move on, you can put on your resume that you independently developed, implemented, maintained, and executed a purchasing system.

Unless you don't want to be in purchasing any longer, take the money, rock it out, move on.

I'm not 100% certain I will be changing jobs in a couple months now. The hours are seriously starting to deter me. I think I am just going to stay put for now. I get so much exposure around campus as our office manager I'm sure other things will come up. I also really enjoy the marketing and advertising whereas the purchasing would be more of a "job".

Buehler445
02-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm not 100% certain I will be changing jobs in a couple months now. The hours are seriously starting to deter me. I think I am just going to stay put for now. I get so much exposure around campus as our office manager I'm sure other things will come up. I also really enjoy the marketing and advertising whereas the purchasing would be more of a "job".

I think that's appropriate. But I'd seeing you can tactfully snag a raise.

crispystl420
02-15-2012, 05:59 PM
I think that's appropriate. But I'd seeing you can tactfully snag a raise.

Yes, I worked on that too. I told them if all things were equal between both jobs I would stay put and the director said she would work on elevating my current position in order to get me a raise. I just feel like taking the purchasing job would lower my exposure across campus and in effect somewhat pigeon hole me for the future. I intend to stay with this college until I retire so diversifying my opportunities at this place is much more important to me than settling in a specific field.

La literatura
02-15-2012, 06:00 PM
How about you quit looking for a new job, and start reading UNBROKEN?

crispystl420
02-15-2012, 06:00 PM

LMAO

crispystl420
02-15-2012, 06:01 PM

I am going to read that damn book based on your persistence alone. I hope you get your royalties.

La literatura
02-15-2012, 06:02 PM
I am going to read that damn book based on your persistence alone. I hope you get your royalties.

If you're going to read UNBROKEN just because I made you read it, though, you shouldn't read it. I want you to want to read it.

La literatura
02-15-2012, 06:03 PM
But, seriously. Read it. It's so good that I think it will answer this question for you.

crispystl420
02-15-2012, 06:06 PM
But, seriously. Read it. It's so good that I think it will answer this question for you.

Will it give me the raise too?

jspchief
02-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Then it sounds like a great opportunity to meet a challenge by your current employer while expanding your resume.

crispystl420
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Then it sounds like a great opportunity to meet a challenge by your current employer while expanding your resume.

Yes, but it looks like it would be more permanent now. Which would you choose with that in mind? My thing is I'm heavily involved in the finances now and I believe this current job could lead to a nice job in the finance administration department at the college.

bevischief
02-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Which ever one pays more.

crispystl420
02-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Which ever one pays more.

If only it were that simple.

Brock
02-16-2012, 06:20 PM
I don't believe it's going to hinder your climb either way. However, I can tell you that every major company in the us is going "buy" more and more when confronted with make/buy decisions and that purchasing is becoming an increasingly powerful part of all of these companies. So if you see yourself leaving your current situation to work for corporations, the decision is obvious. If you want to stay where you are, not so much.

crispystl420
02-16-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't believe it's going to hinder your climb either way. However, I can tell you that every major company in the us is going "buy" more and more when confronted with make/buy decisions and that purchasing is becoming an increasingly powerful part of all of these companies. So if you see yourself leaving your current situation to work for corporations, the decision is obvious. If you want to stay where you are, not so much.

I want to make money and a lot of it lol.