PDA

View Full Version : Obama Obama to say no to domestic oil

HonestChieffan
02-15-2012, 08:34 AM
One cannot help but to ask why. On almost ever level this is illogical.

Obama threatens to veto Keystone, oil drilling byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer

President Obama threatened to veto legislation that would expand oil drilling in Alaska and offshore reserves and greenlight the Keystone XL pipeline construction, after he warned this morning that gas prices will continue to rise.

"Because this bill jeopardizes safety, weakens environmental and labor protections, and fails to make the investments needed to strengthen the Nationís roads, bridges, rail, and transit systems," the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) said in a statement released this evening, "the Presidentís senior advisors would recommend that he veto this legislation." Obama has only vetoed two bills so far in his presidency.

OMB cited environmental concerns and regulatory processes to explain the opposition to the Keystone pipeline and drilling in Alaska:

Unfortunately, the bill includes pay-fors that open up pristine natural habitats not suitable for resource extraction and undermine prudent development of the Nationís oil and natural gas resources by opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to industrial development, mandating lease sales in new offshore areas with no Secretarial discretion for determining which areas are appropriate and safe for such exploration and development, and preempting a Bureau of Land Management environmental impact statement on oil shale extraction. Further, this bill seeks to circumvent a longstanding process for determining whether cross-border pipelines are in the national interest by mandating the permitting of the Keystone XL pipeline project despite the fact that the pipeline route has yet to be identified and there is no complete assessment of its potential impacts, including impacts on health and safety, the economy, foreign policy, energy security, and the environment.

Gas prices and oil availability dominated today's news cycle. The rare veto threat comes at the end of a day that Obama began by warning about rising gas prices. CNS News reported today that gas prices have increased 83 percent while President Obama has occupied the White House. Economic sanctions on Iran, coupled with the Iranian threat to close the Straits of Hormuz, have also driven up the price of oil.

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/obama-threatens-veto-keystone-oil-drilling/375501

Donger
02-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Obama's on record as wanting higher gasoline prices. His opposition to increased domestic production shouldn't surprise anyone, in addition to his being "green."

Amnorix
02-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Obama's on record as wanting higher gasoline prices. His opposition to increased domestic production shouldn't surprise anyone, in addition to his being "green."

Support?

Donger
02-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Support?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t4Tmi_fpUHs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chiefshrink
02-15-2012, 09:04 AM
In the eyes of a Progressive/Marxist it is the 'internal combustion engines' that are the actual pitchforks for those evil conservative devils:evil:

KILLER_CLOWN
02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Can we go back to $1/gal gas?

go bowe
02-15-2012, 10:57 AM

i can remember the price wars that gas stations used to get into...

$0.19/gal was not uncommon...

god, i'm getting old... :(

Radar Chief
02-15-2012, 11:00 AM

:shake::cuss: /Obama

HonestChieffan
02-15-2012, 11:27 AM

yep.

old fart.

Clark Super 100. And Bar glasses with every fill.

You can trust your car to the man who wears the star.

Now go take your nap.

Baby Lee
02-15-2012, 02:00 PM

An odd childhood memory. I was like 7 at the time.

We went to see Corvette Summer, Luke Skywalker's triumphant follow-up to Star Wars ANH.

There was a scene at a gas station and the station's sign offered gas for .27/gal.

Gas was like 1.25/gal at the time.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
I remember when gas prices were consistently between .89 and .99 cents a gallon the whole time i was growing up. I guess with each passing generation it gets worse, but everything fluctuates so much nowadays and hardly ever for the better.

Bewbies
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I remember when gas prices were consistently between .89 and .99 cents a gallon the whole time i was growing up. I guess with each passing generation it gets worse, but everything fluctuates so much nowadays and hardly ever for the better.

Me too. How sweet would it be to fill your car up for $10 again? :(

Bewbies
02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
BTW, energy prices are "necessarily skyrocketing" as was desired by our Lord and Savior.

Of course this never happened, he never said it, prices haven't gone up, and we never got Cap and Trade....er, what?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BqHL404zhcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KILLER_CLOWN
02-15-2012, 03:04 PM
BTW, energy prices are "necessarily skyrocketing" as was desired by our Lord and Savior.

Of course this never happened, he never said it, prices haven't gone up, and we never got Cap and Trade....er, what?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BqHL404zhcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a nice still photo of him, looks like he is either falling asleep or just hit up the bud.