PDA

View Full Version : Football MNF goes to two man booth

Okie_Apparition
02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
ESPN removes Jaworski from Monday Night booth

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 15, 2012, 12:21 PM EST

ESPN issued a press release on Wednesday entitled: “Ron Jaworski signs five-year extension for new, expanded multiplatform analyst role.”

They buried the lede.

Jaworski’s expanded role won’t include the job he’s most famous for: Monday Night Football. ESPN is moving to a two-man booth in 2012: Jon Gruden and Mike Tirico.

(As Jaws might say: “S—”)

Jaworski will be in the studio for ESPN’s many offerings, including Sunday NFL Countdown and Monday Night Countdown.

“I thank Ron for the great contributions he has made to Monday Night Football,” said ESPN President John Skipper. “With two strong analysts in Ron and Jon, these moves will better utilize their strengths and benefit our entire NFL presentation.”

It’s an interesting decision considering that Gruden could seemingly leave ESPN any year and Jaworski will continue to have a big role in the company. Perhaps the network has a replacement in mind (Trent Dilfer?) if Gruden leaves.

We’re headed for an inferior product. I enjoy Gruden in the booth a lot more than Florio, but it was still very valuable to have Jaworski’s X’s and O’s approach there to question Gruden. ESPN says this is not a demotion for Jaworski, but that’s a hard sell. It’s ESPN’s most valuable property and Jaws would surely have loved to remain a part of it. They are choosing to take him off.

This will mark the fourth booth lineup in seven seasons since ESPN took over Monday Night Football.

One thing we like about ESPN’s release: NFL Matchup will be back next year. That’s a relief. Jaworski is one of the best analysts around, so perhaps he’ll raise the level of discourse on the other pregame shows.

KCtotheSB
02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
"Let me tell you about this guy, Ron Jaworski...."

Okie_Apparition
02-15-2012, 12:11 PM
It was probably part of Gruden's contact to oust Jaws
NO ONE out stages the Gruden grimace

Mr. Laz
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I liked Jaw best.

ChiefsCountry
I liked Jaws but I think he is better suited for a studio role.

KC_Lee
Jaws and Gruden would try to out hyperbole each other. Got real old real quick.

Now we are left with Gruden's "They call this guy the [blank] cause he [blanks]!".

cdcox
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I could never distinguish between Gruden's voice and Jaws' voice. I probably won't notice the difference.

journeyscarab
02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Monday Night Ball Washing... starring Jon Gruden.

Gonzo
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Jaws has always driven me crazy but he was ok on MNF.

Terico is great, Gruden? Meh...

I miss Frank, Al and Dan (before Dan became a repetitive dementia patient, anyway).

Rudy lost the toss
02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Can't stand Gruden

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Should have replaced them all. Brad Nessler on those NFL Network games and his work on the Monday night double headers does a much better job.

SNR
02-15-2012, 12:41 PM
BOY I WAS TALKING TO PHILIP RIVERS AND HE WAS UPSET. HE SAID SOMEONE WAS GOING TO HAVE TO PAY, AND I THINK HE MEANT THE CHIEFS

*Rivers throws idiot INT*

RAPE

scho63
02-15-2012, 12:48 PM
YOU MISSED THE BEST PART OF THE ARTICLE!!!

==========

This paragraph, from a December article in The New Yorker about Gruden, was a perfect microcosm of Jaws' time in the booth:
When it was Jaworski's turn, he issued a stern proclamation. "Call me crazy, but I'm really excited for Tyler Palko tonight," he said, and a roomful of skeptical sports producers erupted in laughter. Jaworski had given himself the thankless task of building up the Chiefs, praising them as much as he could without putting his own credibility at risk. Perhaps viewers would buy into the idea, however far-fetched, that Palko would emerge as the night's underdog hero. Later that day, as Jaworski was making a cup of coffee in the ESPN bus, he tried the line again. "Call me crazy, but I'm excited about Tyler Palko," he said. He exhaled. "I've got to sell this," he said to himself.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

PALKO HAS NOW GOTTEN TWO PEOPLE FIRED!!! LOL

boogblaster
02-15-2012, 01:39 PM
YOU MISSED THE BEST PART OF THE ARTICLE!!!

==========no chit ...

This paragraph, from a December article in The New Yorker about Gruden, was a perfect microcosm of Jaws' time in the booth:
When it was Jaworski's turn, he issued a stern proclamation. "Call me crazy, but I'm really excited for Tyler Palko tonight," he said, and a roomful of skeptical sports producers erupted in laughter. Jaworski had given himself the thankless task of building up the Chiefs, praising them as much as he could without putting his own credibility at risk. Perhaps viewers would buy into the idea, however far-fetched, that Palko would emerge as the night's underdog hero. Later that day, as Jaworski was making a cup of coffee in the ESPN bus, he tried the line again. "Call me crazy, but I'm excited about Tyler Palko," he said. He exhaled. "I've got to sell this," he said to himself.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

PALKO HAS NOW GOTTEN TWO PEOPLE FIRED!!! LOL no chit ,,,

qabbaan
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Horrid decision. They kept the two who needed to go.

Graystoke
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
I miss Howard

FAX
02-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Jaws has always driven me crazy but he was ok on MNF.

Terico is great, Gruden? Meh...

I miss Frank, Al and Dan (before Dan became a repetitive dementia patient, anyway).

Those are the guys I remember. You're talking Dan Dierdorf (sp?), right? I thought he was funny as heck.

As for this announcement, I don't see what the big deal is here. During the broadcasts, Jaws couldn't get an edge in word-wise, anyhow.

FAX

Demonpenz
02-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Terrico is good, when nessler and terrico is gone we are going to long for them days.

Agent V
02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
I like re-watching the Halloween game. Those three were fucking bickering like children right before Baldwin's touchdown. Terico (?) was explaining a penalty and Gruden or Jaws was like, "Oh, here we go. Get the book out," right before the damn play started.

I can't stand that. That's how the Sunday Night crew acted when Theisman and McGuire were in the booth.

chefsos
02-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I like re-watching the Halloween game. Those three were fucking bickering like children right before Baldwin's touchdown. Terico (?) was explaining a penalty and Gruden or Jaws was like, "Oh, here we go. Get the book out," right before the damn play started.

I can't stand that. That's how the Sunday Night crew acted when Theisman and McGuire were in the booth.This highlights why the two man booth may be better in the long run, IMO. Many times one of 'em would start talking and I wasn't sure which one it was.

whoman69
02-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I like Jaws, but he is better suited as an analyst. He can break down game film. Gruden is pretty brutal. He certainly doesn't prepare for this role like he did coaching.

Rosie O'Donnell
02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
The commentator that ESPN needs to shit can is that Uncle Tom Tirico.

He's bland and he's boring. He would be okay as the FOX No. 5 NFL team, but he falls way below the high standard set by Howard Cosell and Al Michaels.

Bacon Cheeseburger
02-15-2012, 05:42 PM
I enjoy Gruden in the booth a lot more than Florio
Wait...what?

Cephalic Trauma
02-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Should have replaced them all. Brad Nessler on those NFL Network games and his work on the Monday night double headers does a much better job.

Agree. Nessler is easy to listen to, and I absolutely can't stand Trico.

Count Zarth
02-15-2012, 05:59 PM
That sucks. The Jaws-Gruden banter was entertaining.

MahiMike
02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Well that settles it. I'm taping all the MNF games and muting the coverage now.

JAWS is da Bomb!

ThaVirus
02-15-2012, 06:16 PM

He's bland and he's boring. He would be okay as the FOX No. 5 NFL team, but he falls way below the high standard set by Howard Cosell and Al Michaels.

Nice name. I've always suspected he was gay...

Dayze
02-15-2012, 09:07 PM
I like torino. I'm ok with gruden. If they were to add another or replace gruden I wouldn't mind seeing mooch or even Charles Davis. maybe even dilfer.

Nessler would be awesome to replace tirico though.

Just as long as they don't bring in the guy from ESPN who wears outrageously huge tie knots...his name escapes me at the moment.

Boon
02-15-2012, 09:31 PM
A little off topic but listening to Al Michaels is like swallowing a can of Drano.
Sumbitch just loves to beat a call, good or bad, to death.
Instant replay was created for him.

scott free
02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
This move needed to happen, but they whacked the wrong guy.

Jaws is the guy who infects that broadcast with some genuine enthusiasm, John '4 yard pass' Gruden needs to get a coaching job & let the real analyst do his job, you can always hear that frequent, slight pause & inflection in Grudens voice where he's thinking... 'watch it john, the big wheel who runs the next job you want is listening, dont sound like a dumbass fan'.

He's angling for a job, Jaws isnt, who's going to spill a truth?

scott free
02-16-2012, 12:57 AM

The best sportscasting duo's always have a 'just the facts ma'am' guy like Tirico & he's very good at it, he's the new Al Michaels imo, very professional.

YOU try herding Jaworski & Gruden into the next commercial break.

WhiteWhale
02-16-2012, 12:59 AM
I don't like Jaws as a play-by-play guy (to be fair, I generally hate all PBP and color guys), but he's probably my favorite studio analyst working today. Dude knows his stuff and does a great job communicating it to fans.

I learned a lot about the game from his work breaking down plays.