PDA

View Full Version : Football "If the game is about wins & losses, he has to be in the top 5 QBs"

Okie_Apparition
02-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Flacco’s agent targets top-five money

Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2012, 8:56 AM EST

Though many Ravens fans have expressed relief over the fact that the team and quarterback Joe Flacco will begin negotiations on a contract to replace the one that expires after the 2012 season, talking about Flacco’s value could lead to some sharp differences of opinion.

Flacco’s agent, Joe Linta, recently set a high bar.

“If the game is about wins and losses, he has to be in the top five [quarterbacks],” Linta told Matt Vensel of the Baltimore Sun. “He is a player who has been extremely durable, never missed a game. And he’s done something that no one has ever done. In his four years in the league, he has never missed a game and has more wins than any other quarterback.”

Talks will commence at next week’s Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Linta says it will be a “brief chat over coffee,” and not a “Hatfield and McCoy thing.”

Still, folks shouldn’t get their hopes up.

“We’re not going to have a press conference next Saturday to announce his extension,” Linta said. “In order to do Joe Flacco’s contract extension, we have to start somewhere. And that’s sitting down and chatting, and that’s what we’re doing.”

We’ve got a feeling that it will be many Saturdays before an extension is announced, especially if Flacco wants to be paid among the top five quarterbacks in the game. We like him and we believe he’s underrated and overcriticized, but to put him with guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger seems to be a little premature and/or presumptuous.

Okie_Apparition
02-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Let's not get this twisted/Herm

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-16-2012, 08:37 AM
You're welcome Joe...signed Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Terrel Suggs, and Haloti Ngata.

Dr. Gigglepants
02-16-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm sorry, Joe...signed Lee Evans.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Flacco is overrated if anything.

el borracho
02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Enjoy your franchise tag.

JD10367
02-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Flacco's not awful. He's better than people think. But he's not Top Five on any planet we know of.

This past season, he was 18th in QB rating (under such luminaries as Matt Moore, Jay Cutler, Matt Hasselbeck, and Kevin Kolb). He was 19th in YPG (under greats like Rex Grossman, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Josh Freeman). He was tied for 22nd in YPA (under Canton-bound world-beaters such as Tarvaris Jackson and Michael Vick). He was 18th in throws for 1stDown%.

Tier 1: the group of Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Eli Manning (yeah, he's earned it), probably Roethlisberger, maybe Rivers.

Tier 2: most of the rest of the NFL (Flacco, Romo, Schaub, Stafford, Matt Ryan, Alex Smith, Cutler, Cam Newton, Hasselbeck, Carson Palmer, even Vick if you must).

Now, where Flacco slots into that second tier depends on who you ask. If you ask Flacco and his agent, obviously, he's pretty high. Ask anyone else, though, and they'll tell you that, while on any given day, Flacco can match those other Tier 2 guys in a game, more often than not Flacco would underwhelm you. He's just not the kind of guy who can take over a game. He's not a difference maker. Even an old worn-out guy like Palmer, or a fresh rookie like Newton, can do more to win a game on their own than Flacco. He's the consummate game manager, surrounded by a solid D and some decent O weapons and never put into a position where he has to carry the team. For that, you do NOT get "top five money".

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 11:34 AM
What Flacco gives the Ravens is time. Something Chiefs don't have, he helps them compete in the playoffs year in & year out so far and gives them time to build a team around him to get where they want to go. He is not in the "elite" but for that team doesn't have to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if him & Matt Ryan meet up in a future Super Bowl. Not that they are the best QBs but give them time to get players around them to help win games & perennial playoff births.

Something I wish the Chiefs would do, DRAFT a freaking first round QB :mad:

Garcia Bronco
02-16-2012, 11:36 AM
What Flacco gives the Ravens is time. Something Chiefs don't have, he helps them compete in the playoffs year in & year out so far and gives them time to build a team around him to get where they want to go. He is not in the "elite" but for that team doesn't have to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if him & Matt Ryan meet up in a future Super Bowl. Not that they are the best QBs but give them time to get players around them to help win games & perennial playoff births.

Matt ryan has never won a big game in his life from college on.

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Neither has Tony Gonzalez.

Phobia
02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Heh. I love it when people cherry pick stats. Especially agents. Guess how much value the people who really matter will pay to this agent's characterization of this top 5 demand?

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Actually, am more or less expecting Cam Newton & Panthers be a force to recond with in the NFC & start domminating the compitition. Cam had a real impressive rookie campaign.

Rausch
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Enjoy your franchise tag.

He's probably busting a gut...

Easy 6
02-16-2012, 12:05 PM
Mort is saying Flacco has fired his agent, his unibrow will now be handling the negotiations.

Valiant
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM

If you are going to wish, at least draft AND PLAY a 1st round qb. We draft and release a hof with our franchise.

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 12:56 PM
If you are going to wish, at least draft AND PLAY a 1st round qb. We draft and release a hof with our franchise.

Yes playing him is KEY attribute to success.

Marcellus
02-16-2012, 04:02 PM
2 can play that game.

The Ravens won the SB with Trent Dilfer at QB, so Flacco is obviously worse than Dilfer was. I mean if your going by SB wins which is what really matter in this league.