PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Clash of the Sitcoms: Round 9 - The Championship.

Rain Man
02-16-2012, 10:23 AM
There can be only one. What is your favorite sitcom among the three finalists?

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/news/new-simpsons-poster-large.jpg

http://liberalvaluesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/seinfeld_tv_show.jpg

http://idiotflashback.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/520cast.jpg

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
in first Sienfeld.

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 10:28 AM
The poll was already up :eek:

BourbonMan
02-16-2012, 10:29 AM
This was such a crock of crap...this was supposed to be about the greatest sitcoms...and it comes down to these 3...you can definetly tell the age group of the voters.:(

luv
I wanna go where everybody knows my name, and they're always glad I came.

Dartgod
Gotta go Cheers.

And it's a fucking joke that The Simpsons made the top three.

KC Tattoo
This was such a crock of crap...this was supposed to be about the greatest sitcoms...and it comes down to these 3...you can definetly tell the age group of the voters.:(

STFU n00b (sp)

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 10:30 AM
The poll was already up :eek:

That's what she said.

blaise
02-16-2012, 10:31 AM

Yeah, needs more Wizards of Waverly Place.

durtyrute
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
I've been telling you all along, IT'S MOOPS!!!

BourbonMan
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM
And it's a ****ing joke that The Simpsons made the top three.

Totally agree...Cheers is OK..

stonedstooge
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
I've seen several episodes of Seinfield and have yet to laugh or chuckle at any of them. Guess I don't get it. However, I really enjoyed watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. I don't quite understand this since Larry David was the main man for both series

Nzoner
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
And it's a ****ing joke that The Simpsons made the top three.

:thumb:

I haven't voted since Sanford and Son went out.

Sofa King
02-16-2012, 10:36 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSJQEl5vcAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

buddha
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

:lame: Are you sad because iCarly didn't make the cut?

BourbonMan
02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
STFU n00b (sp)

Your telling me that Bart and Jerry beats...MASH(one of the longest and mosted highly rated shows ever), and WKRP(with live Turkeys out of a Helicopter)...come on man...what, your probably whole 25 yrs old...go back and watch real sitcoms, cause this is where they were born...OH and lets not forget SOAP.:mad:

Sofa King
02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Your telling me that Bart and Jerry beats...MASH(one of the longest and mosted highly rated shows ever), and WKRP(with live Turkeys out of a Helicopter)...come on man...what, your probably whole 25 yrs old...go back and watch real sitcoms, cause this is where they were born...OH and lets not forget SOAP.:mad:

Simpsons and Jerry >>>> MASH

Just sayin.

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 10:45 AM

I voted for all those throughout the contest. Seinfeld is still the best show & had a long run for endurance & pure gold comedy. The majority have voted for the top 3 shows and like em or not that's how this thing played out to the end.

Rain Man
02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
My thoughts.

First, I love the Simpsons. Great show, highly entertaining. That said, I have to knock off points for being an animation, because the animated part gives them much a much easier opportunity to get laughs. Want to make Homer fall of a cliff? Go for it. Want to have some space aliens wandering around? No problem. Now, this may not be a fair criticism because they're merely utilizing their resources to create great humor, which is what a sitcom is about, but as much as I love them, I can't give them a #1 vote. So they're out.

Now...Seinfeld vs. Cheers.

Characters. If I rank the characters in terms of entertainment value, my top five would be:

1. Woody Boyd
2. Norm Peterson
3. Elaine Benes
4. Jerry Seinfeld
5. Frasier Crane

Tons of good characters. It's hard not to put Cliff Clavin in my top five, or Cosmo Kramer or George Costanza. And who didn't love Lilith?

Cheers wins this part due to a greater volume of likeable characters.

Plots. Seinfeld wins by a mile. They were brilliant at tying in multiple threads together to create three shows in one, which then merged at the end. Cheers had great plots, but they were more traditional linear plots. Also, the whole Sam/Diane romance thing was a whiff. Never have sitcom characters get romantically involved.

Seinfeld wins this part.

Affinity. Cheers by a mile. Seinfeld was entertaining and I actually liked the characters. But Cheers seemed more like a group of friends, and you were pulling up a bar stool and joining them every week.

Cheers wins this part.

Memorableness. I'm not sure if that's a word, but it's the ability of the show to stick in one's mind and entertain later. Seinfeld wins this one by a mile. They really captured the humor of everyday life.

Seinfeld wins this part.

Best lines. Both had great lines. Seinfeld's were more clever, but Cheers (and especially Woody) had lines that were out of the blue and completely hilarious.

Cheers wins by a hair.

Best single episode. Wow. Tough one. The squeaky shoe episode on Cheers had one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen. The master of your domain scenes on Seinfeld were great, as were the sponge bath scenes in the hospital and the Kenny Rogers roasters episode. Hard to say here. Both were great.

Draw on this one. Maybe a slight advantage to Seinfeld.

Best minor characters. Seinfeld had Newman, Jerry's parents, and a bunch of single-episode prop characters. Cheers had Lilith (I loved Lilith), Paul, Woody's girlfriend, Nick, Nick's new wife, etc. Tough call on this one, as all were good.

Draw on this one. Maybe a slight advantage to Cheers.

When it all comes down to it, both were great shows. But my vote goes to Cheers for the reason of having a greater affinity with the characters.

blaise
02-16-2012, 10:51 AM

At least Seinfeld never went the sanctimonious whiny route that MASH did. I wouldn't vote MASH #1 just for that lame episode when Hawkeye and Hotlips got stuck and kissed. So lame.

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 10:52 AM
George Costanza pownes all.

Mr. Lippman: It's come to my attention that you and the cleaning woman have engaged in sexual intercourse on the desk in your office. Is that correct?
George Costanza: Who said that?
Mr. Lippman: She did.
George Costanza: [pause] Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorence on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time.
Mr. Lippman: You're fired!
George Costanza: Well, you didn't have to say it like that.

--

Was that wrong? LMAO God that was funny when he said that.

Thig Lyfe
02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Write in vote for Arrested Development.

rageeumr
02-16-2012, 10:56 AM
I never watched a single episode of Seinfeld until it had been off the air for a couple of years. Around 2002 when I was a junior in college. One of my roommates was a huge fan. One of those guys who could tell you when every Seinfeld rerun would air and on what channel for the next week.

I got hooked pretty quickly and now it's my favorite show. It's on TBS about the time I get home from work most days, and it's on in the background at our house almost every day.

Long live the show about nothing.

Amnorix
02-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Seinfeld. I really like Cheers and I spent a minute or two trying to think of why I should vote for it. Then I realized I was trying too hard. Seinfeld had all-time memorable episodes and to this day you can mention "Soup Nazi" or "Master of my domain" and EVERYONE knows exactly what you're talking about. Not many other sitcoms came anywhere near that level.

Simpsons -- I like it, but it's a cartoon. I find it hard to even think of it as a sitcom, to be honest.

DJ's left nut
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
I always knew I liked Rain Man.

listopencil
02-16-2012, 11:01 AM
My thoughts.

Cheers had Lilith (I loved Lilith)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPKcLpjagak&t=1m30s

Dartgod
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Good Lord, the Simpsons is beating Cheers now.

Predarat
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Cheers for Cheers!

HemiEd
02-16-2012, 11:33 AM
I think we could have all predicted it coming down to these three. Now I predict Seinfeld.

Sofa King
02-16-2012, 11:34 AM
I think we could have all predicted it coming down to these three. Now I predict Seinfeld.

I predicted Seinfeld from the start.

Rain Man
02-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Wow. The Simpsons are doing way better than I expected. I kind of figured this would be a two-car race between Cheers and Seinfeld, but The Simpsons are duking it out right there with them.

JD10367
02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Most of my TV sitcom-watching was early-70s to mid-80s.

Of the three shows in the finals, I don't think I've seen a full episode of any of them.

Stairway To Heaven FTW.

patteeu
02-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Plots. Seinfeld wins by a mile. They were brilliant at tying in multiple threads together to create three shows in one, which then merged at the end. Cheers had great plots, but they were more traditional linear plots. Also, the whole Sam/Diane romance thing was a whiff. Never have sitcom characters get romantically involved.

Seinfeld wins this part.

This is the main reason Seinfeld gets my vote.

I also like the George Costanza and Elaine Benes characters better than any of the characters on Cheers (although Cheers had great characters too). George's father, played by Jerry Stiller, was great as a minor character too.

WV
02-16-2012, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Rain Man;8377444]There can be only one. What is your favorite sitcom among the three finalists?

http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/news/new-simpsons-poster-large.jpg

Hey I have this print...I think it's called Where's Bart or something...wanna buy it?

thurman merman
02-16-2012, 12:20 PM

Me too.

MagicHef
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Wow. The Simpsons are doing way better than I expected. I kind of figured this would be a two-car race between Cheers and Seinfeld, but The Simpsons are duking it out right there with them.

It is a two-car race... for second place.

Garcia Bronco
02-16-2012, 12:34 PM
The Simpsons have been on for almost a quarter century. In fact at one point you could watcht eh Simpsons on Fox...switch to NBC and then watch Seinfeld and Cheers right after it.

KurtCobain
02-16-2012, 12:43 PM
SOMETIMES YOU WANNA GO

loochy
02-16-2012, 12:44 PM
SOMETIMES YOU WANNA GO

to Springfield

Rausch
02-16-2012, 12:45 PM
You Seinfeld motherfuckers need to die...

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM
SOMETIMES YOU WANNA GO

Down Town

KurtCobain
02-16-2012, 12:47 PM
1. Woody Boyd
2. Norm Peterson

I like the simpsons alot, and I love Seinfeld, but I had to go cheers. Mainly because of the guys quoted above.

KurtCobain
02-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Down Town

WHERE EVERYBODY KNOWS YOUR NAAAAAME

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 12:48 PM
WHERE EVERYBODY KNOWS YOUR NAAAAAME DOWNTOWN

YEP!

Dartgod
02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
The "Buffalo Theory"

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.”

Rausch
02-16-2012, 12:53 PM
The "Buffalo Theory"

“Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

http://blu.stb.s-msn.com/i/60/AA10968C7569701B347D3C7E27F40.jpg
"Yeah...that....I think that seems about right..."

Dartgod
02-16-2012, 01:00 PM
Here is Rain Man's "Squeaky Shoe" episode. I gotta agree. It, along with Reverend Jim's drivers test episode in Taxi, is one of the funniest episodes of any show I've seen.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JGraw1mODv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
02-16-2012, 01:01 PM
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGraw1mODv4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGraw1mODv4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Edit: Dartgod just barely beat me. Watch this, people.

blaise
02-16-2012, 01:03 PM
I remember when it seemed like basically everyone you knew was waiting for Cheers on Thursday night. Seinfeld, too, but not as much as Cheers.

Thig Lyfe
02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Can't complain about Seinfeld winning, but overall this tournament has revealed a lot about how many people here need to drive off a cliff.

Sofa King
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Can't complain about Seinfeld winning, but overall this tournament has revealed a lot about how many people here need to drive off a cliff.

YEAH!

Anyone who doesn't agree with me should die!

Family Guy FTMFW!!!!

Dr. Gigglepants
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Thank you, Rainman for reminding me of the Kenny Rogers Roasters episode. Seinfeld FTW!
Posted via Mobile Device

Garcia Bronco
02-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Remember SportsRacer; It's not a lie if you believe it.

Rausch
02-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Thank you, Rainman for reminding me of the Kenny Rogers Roasters episode. Seinfeld FTW!
Posted via Mobile Device

My last nerve has been breached!

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/GTFO/3/gtfo9wj.jpg

Rain Man
02-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The more I think about it, that was their best episode ever, in my humble opinion.

Dr. Gigglepants
02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
My last nerve has been breached!

http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/GTFO/3/gtfo9wj.jpg

Serenity Now!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
02-16-2012, 01:26 PM
The more I think about it, that was their best episode ever, in my humble opinion.

My friends, my confidants, I hate you all...

KurtCobain
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
The "Buffalo Theory"

That's just too freakin' awesome!

Love that show!

I think Rainman should've eliminated someone in this heat, then had a Cheers VS Seinfeld final. Cheers would've won.

MagicHef
02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
That's just too freakin' awesome!

Love that show!

I think Rainman should've eliminated someone in this heat, then had a Cheers VS Seinfeld final. Cheers would've won.

Right now, Cheers is in third place. If he eliminated one show now, Cheers would be gone and the final would be Seinfeld vs The Simpsons. I know a lot of people love Cheers, but there really is no way it would have beaten Seinfeld.

Omaha
02-16-2012, 02:10 PM
So you guys think The Simpsons is the 2nd greatest sitcom ever? :facepalm:

mikey23545
02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Seinfeld by a hair over Cheers...

HemiEd
02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Here is Rain Man's "Squeaky Shoe" episode. I gotta agree. It, along with Reverend Jim's drivers test episode in Taxi, is one of the funniest episodes of any show I've seen.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JGraw1mODv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tears in my eyes, hilarious.

"make it stop."

HemiEd
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
I predicted Seinfeld from the start.

Yep, no doubt. But if any of the ones we have discussed were to make a comeback, I would vote for WKRP.

patteeu
02-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Is there going to be a mercy poll after this round?

Predarat
02-16-2012, 02:36 PM
I cannot believe Cheers is losing. The Wade Boggs episiode was awesome lol.

vailpass
02-16-2012, 02:39 PM
The Simpsons is top 3 of all time here? Really?

DJJasonp
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
A reluctant vote for Cheers. That said, Homer Simpson is probably the best/funniest sitcom character ever created.

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
The Simpsons is top 3 of all time here? Really?

Comical.

Better than Taxi, WKRP, MASH, etc.

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2012, 02:49 PM
That said, Homer Simpson is probably the best/funniest sitcom character ever created.

Wow LMAO

Great Expectations
02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Are we going to have a consolation vote for 2nd?

The voters with good taste obviously had these 3 ranked:

Seinfeld
Cheers
a bunch of other shows
Simpsons

KC Tattoo
02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
I cannot believe Cheers is losing. The Wade Boggs episiode was awesome lol.

Does Wade Boggs dunk his donut like Joe DiMaggio?

vailpass
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Comical.

Better than Taxi, WKRP, MASH, etc.

I have respect for the Homer but yeah, I agree with you on this one.

luv
02-16-2012, 02:54 PM
So you guys think The Simpsons is the 2nd greatest sitcom ever? :facepalm:

Actually, the poeple who voted for it think it's the best. Pretty bad, huh?

58-4ever
02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
I loved Cheers as a kid, but grew up with Seinfeld. The Simpsons too, but I still flip on a re-run of Seinfeld whenever I see that it's on. The best ever, IMO.

Garcia Bronco
02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
MASH is still as the highest rated episode ever. Rating even higher than Super Bowls.

SLAG
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
God I hate Seinfeld

Rain Man
02-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Does Wade Boggs dunk his donut like Joe DiMaggio?

(Bang.)

(Bang.)

Whooooot!

BigCatDaddy
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Did 34 12 year olds just register on the board?

Thig Lyfe
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Can't believe the level of disrespect for The Simpsons here. It hasn't been great in a long time, sure, but seasons 2-9 or so are unimpeachable. Some of the greatest comedy writing of all time. It definitely deserves the run it's gotten.

Sofa King
02-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Honestly, i think the people here who are hating on The Simpsons have never watched an episode or they're too stupid to understand it.

Rain Man
02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I've got no problem at all with The Simpsons being at this level. It really has been one of the best sitcoms ever. I wouldn't pick it over the other two, but it might be #3 on my list.

Frazod
02-16-2012, 03:12 PM
$10,000 in casino cash and big green rep stick to anybody who posts a screen shot proving they voted for Cheers.

blaise
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
It's all over but the crying.

Backwards Masking
I was hoping The Bundys would win it all, oh well. Seinfeld is a worthy champ.

Dartgod
$10,000 in casino cash and big green rep stick to anybody who posts a screen shot proving they voted for Cheers.

Sanka
02-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Seinfeld is terrible, the only reason to watch the show was Cosmo Kramer. The rest of the show sucked.

Sofa King
02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
$100,000 in casino cash and a big green rep stick to anyone who posts a screen shot proving they voted for Simpsons.

Frazod
02-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Is there going to be a mercy poll after this round?

Mercifully it will finally be over.

patteeu
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
It's all over but the crying.

From the looks of it, the crying could go on for quite a while.

patteeu
02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Seinfeld is terrible, the only reason to watch the show was Cosmo Kramer. The rest of the show sucked.

Cosmo Kramer was added to the show to try to expand the audience by appealing to people who weren't sophisticated enough to enjoy the brilliance of the rest of the show.

"Woah, did you see the way Kramer entered the room there and almost fell over, herp derp, I love it when he does that!"

SLAG
02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Cosmo Kramer was added to the show to try to expand the audience by appealing to people who weren't sophisticated enough to enjoy the brilliance of the rest of the show.

"Woah, did you see the way Kramer entered the room there and almost fell over, herp derp, I love it when he does that!"

I find a naked woman crouching very hawt and I am offended they tried to paint such a thing in an unflattering light

Dartgod
02-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Honestly, i think the people here who are hating on The Simpsons have never watched an episode or they're too stupid to understand it.

I've watched, but not for several years. I liked it, but no way does it belong in the final 3, let alone beating out Cheers.

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2012, 03:46 PM

I watched the 1st 5 seasons. I had enough.

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2012, 03:49 PM

LOL read post 83

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 03:59 PM
From the looks of it, the crying could go on for quite a while.

This is Chiefs Planet after all heh... every topic is something to fight over.

I voted for Cheers, although just by a smidge over Seinfeld. Both excellent. I would have voted for M*A*S*H or even WKRP but alas only my 3rd and 4th favorite sitcoms made the finals. Pretty good final round... other than The Simpsons. (I know that means I don't get it or something lol)

oldman
02-16-2012, 04:00 PM
NORM!!

Bump
02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
htf did the Simpsons make it to the final round? It's not even top 5 cartoons and hasn't been funny since like 1994

Jamie
02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
"It might be a cartoon, but The Simpsons is the best television comedy ever. It's unfair because it's almost too good. The characters are beautiful. The writing is out of this world. I sometimes sit back in amazement and wonder how they didn't miss a trick. There are episodes when I've nearly been in tears, they're so beautiful and ambitious." - Ricky Gervais (http://www.rickygervais.com/uncut.php)

HemiEd
02-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Mercifully it will finally be over.

ROFL OK, now that is funny coming from Mr. Deutshe (sp?) poll. I am expecting them quarterly soon.

Zebedee DuBois
02-16-2012, 04:19 PM
The nineties beat out the eighties

Predarat

Cheers!

Sofa King
I watched the 1st 5 seasons. I had enough.

Apparently people had enough of Cheers and Seinfeld since they didn't reach NEARLY as many seasons and aren't still running.

scho63
02-16-2012, 04:20 PM
:thumb:

I haven't voted since Sanford and Son went out.

:clap:

You and I think alike-I still laugh my ass off watching that show just like All in the Family and Good Times. Norman Lear was the single greatest sitcom creator of our time.

I voted for Cheers over Seinfeld because I just think they always made you laugh hard where Seinfeld really make you think and then laugh. Not easy and it's really hard to pick a cartoon as the greatest

BigCatDaddy
02-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Did anyone ever watch this mess?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_WKRP_in_Cincinnati

Psyko Tek
02-16-2012, 04:28 PM

THIS

listopencil
02-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Of course I voted for Cheers.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
Blue!

No red!

Up.

UP SUCKS! DOWN IS SO MUCH COOLER!

YEAH WELL YOU CAN GO FARTHER UP THAN DOWN SO IT'S BETTER!

Where's the love for sideways???!!! You stupid assholes!

Blue and red both suck! My favorite color is clear!

It's not clear you fucking idiot douchebag it's transparent!!!! GEEEOOOOODDDDD!!!!

:cuss:

:bang:

ONLY PUSSYS USE SMILES!!!

EMOTICONS YOU FUCKING BLEEDING VAGINA!!!

Guru
02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
The Simpsons being in this race is a complete embarrassment.

Guru
02-16-2012, 05:07 PM

You know I voted for Cheers. Not in a chance in hell I would vote for either of the other two.

NJChiefsFan
02-16-2012, 05:12 PM

These shows are from 3 different decades. I don't have great knowledge of older shows other than TV Land or Nick at Night but I don't think these two, especially Seinfeld and Cheers are bad results. These are probably top 5 in any ranking. I would personally put Lucy in here as well.

Micjones
02-16-2012, 05:21 PM

"Seinfeld" is widely heralded as one of the five best sitcoms of all-time.
I can't stand it, but I also can't deny that fact.

NJChiefsFan
02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Cheers also had one of the most watched Series Finales in TV history.

Micjones
02-16-2012, 05:28 PM
The Simpsons being in this race is a complete embarrassment.

How?
It's the longest American sitcom, longest running American animated series AND the longest running scripted show in American Primetime history.

NJChiefsFan
02-16-2012, 05:40 PM
How?
It's the longest American sitcom, longest running American animated series AND the longest running scripted show in American Primetime history.

Thats true, and I love the show(atleast the first 10 plus years) but I think if you are objective saying the Simpons is in the top 3 of American Sitcoms of ALL TIME is a stretch.

Guru
02-16-2012, 05:52 PM
How?

Also the dumbest. I will never put a cartoon in the same category as the standard sitcom.

Red Brooklyn
02-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Of those three... it's Cheers by a country mile.

KC_Connection
02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
The Simpsons was a great, great show for a long period of time. It also became an enormous worldwide cultural phenomenon. I'm not surprised to see it here, nor do I really think it's out of place.

That said, I voted for Seinfeld.

mlyonsd
02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Also the dumbest. I will never put a cartoon in the same category as the standard sitcom.This. To me a true sitcom has real actors. But whatever.

KC_Connection
02-16-2012, 05:59 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HfvvYuO6zHM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2012, 06:01 PM
How?

Its animation. Sorry. That is THE reason, at least for me, why its shouldn't be in the Top 3. Or Top 5 for that matter.

And I'm a Huge fan of Archer.

Thig Lyfe
02-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Oh most definitely.

And this anti-cartoon sentiment is stupid too. Not only are voice actors real actors, but the voice actors on The Simpsons were able to create literally hundreds of distinct, fully realized characters from a very small group of performers. That takes way more talent than standard shitty sitcom acting.

Guru
02-16-2012, 06:32 PM

god forbid people just don't like something you like right?

I have watched it. I have never found it funny.

For the record, I like Southpark but I would never vote for it in this poll.

Guru
02-16-2012, 06:34 PM
Oh most definitely.

And this anti-cartoon sentiment is stupid too. Not only are voice actors real actors, but the voice actors on The Simpsons were able to create literally hundreds of distinct, fully realized characters from a very small group of performers. That takes way more talent than standard shitty sitcom acting.

I will never consider a cartoon on the same level as a sitcom.

I agree on voice actors being talented though. It's impressive what they can do with such a small pool. Keep in mind though, physical acting is a whole different game than voice acting. The two can't be compared such as you are doing.

Thig Lyfe
02-16-2012, 07:24 PM
I can't vote for Cheers because I still blame Woody Harrelson for Timothy Treadwell's death.

RJ
02-16-2012, 07:44 PM

Out of curiosty, what age group is that?

RJ
02-16-2012, 07:49 PM
At least Seinfeld never went the sanctimonious whiny route that MASH did. I wouldn't vote MASH #1 just for that lame episode when Hawkeye and Hotlips got stuck and kissed. So lame.

Agreed. MASH started out as a comedy (and a very funny comedy at that) but later began to take itself way too seriously. I'd probably put it in a top 10-15 but no way a top 5.

RJ
02-16-2012, 07:54 PM
I voted for the Simpsons but all three are great choices. I sort of understand the "not real actors" argument but I give them the nod for the writing which I put just a notch above the other two.

DJ's left nut
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Sitcoms are about the writing, not the acting, IMO.

The writing for The Simpsons was absolutely top-shelf. It isn't anymore, but for about a decade there, it was without peer.

Bump
02-16-2012, 10:12 PM

dude, Seinfeld is the best ever. If you have this discussion anywhere with however many people with a wide variety of ages, it will still be Seinfeld. JFC

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2012, 10:49 PM
dude, Seinfeld is the best ever. If you have this discussion anywhere with however many people with a wide variety of ages, it will still be Seinfeld. JFC

Pretty much.

Hell, my 13 yr old son loves Seinfeld. He was born the same yr it ended.

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2012, 10:52 PM

The writing for The Simpsons was absolutely top-shelf. It isn't anymore, but for about a decade there, it was without peer.

I wont argue with that. Its unfortunate that its animated.

However, if it was live-action, no way would it last this long.

Guru
02-16-2012, 11:01 PM

Writing and acting go hand in hand. If one sucks the other can't make up for it.

Simpsons being top-shelf is a matter of opinion though. I tried several times in the 90's to give that show a chance and it rarely ever made me laugh and just seemed stupid most of the time.

Al Bundy
02-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Seinfeld was horrible. I am surprised Married With Children didn't make it.

Guru
02-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Seinfeld was horrible. I am surprised Married With Children didn't make it.

You can't be serious.

Bump
02-16-2012, 11:27 PM
You can't be serious.

if he is, he has at least 6 kids.

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 08:59 AM
I wont argue with that. Its unfortunate that its animated.

However, if it was live-action, no way would it last this long.

Well no shit. It'd be tough to get all those mutant fish, aliens, Stompy the Elephant and whatnot.

Rain Man
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Okay, the clash of the sitcoms is over. The ten favorite shows of chiefsplanet are:

1. Seinfeld
2. The Simpsons
3. Cheers
4. WKRP in Cincinnati
5. Married With Children
6. M*A*S*H
7. Night Court
8. Taxi
9. Friends
10. Frasier

Overall, I think this is a pretty good list. While certainly we've had some disagreements, I bet 80 percent of chiefsplanet would list more than half of those shows on their own top ten.

As for me, my personal top ten would be the following, having given it considerable thought:

1. Cheers
2. Seinfeld
3. Malcolm in the Middle
4. Barney Miller
5. The Simpsons
6. Newhart (the Vermont Inn)
7. Frasier
8. The Drew Carey Show
9. Taxi
10. News Radio (with apologies to Third Rock, which is virtually tied with News Radio)

So half of my top ten are on the planet's top 10, and WKRP, Night Court, and Friends, would be pretty darn close to my top ten. Conversely, most of my top ten made it deep into the tournament.

The only area where we differed significantly was Malcolm in the Middle, which is in my top five, but you drones bounced it very early.

What are everyone else's top ten, and how did it differ/match the planet's list?

Frazod
02-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Okay, the clash of the sitcoms is over. The ten favorite shows of chiefsplanet are:

1. Seinfeld
2. The Simpsons
3. Cheers
4. WKRP in Cincinnati
5. Married With Children
6. M*A*S*H
7. Night Court
8. Taxi
9. Friends
10. Frasier

Replace the cockchugging eternally overrated metrosexual douchy piece of shit Seinfeld with Archer and that's not a bad list.

Dr. Gigglepants
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
I could never get into Malcolm on a week to week basis, but I do like the show. It seems like in the later seasons it became all about Reese, most if those episodes weren't as good I thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/elaine-syrup.gif?w=500&h=378

Micjones
02-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Writing and acting go hand in hand. If one sucks the other can't make up for it.

Simpsons being top-shelf is a matter of opinion though. I tried several times in the 90's to give that show a chance and it rarely ever made me laugh and just seemed stupid most of the time.

It's impossible to deny the show's influence, impact, longevity and creativity.
Even when considering your own personal feelings about it.

That show single-handedly paved the way for animated shows to have a spot at the Primetime dinner table.
I personally think "Family Guy" pushed the envelope even further, but without "The Simpsons"...that show would never have existed.

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s06e07-the-simpsons-already-did-it

Predarat
02-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Cheers
The Office
Seinfeld
Simpsons
MASH
NightCourt
Parks and Rec
Family Guy
Barney Miller
Wonder Years

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Family Guy
South Park
Futurama
Simpsons
American Dad
Spongebob Squarepants
I Carly
Bobby's World
Bewitched
NCIS
Boy Meets World

http://0.tqn.com/d/webtrends/1/0/E/A/-/-/pokerface.jpg

whoman69
02-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Family Guy
South Park
Futurama
Simpsons
American Dad
Spongebob Squarepants
I Carly
Bobby's World
Bewitched
NCIS
Boy Meets World

http://0.tqn.com/d/webtrends/1/0/E/A/-/-/pokerface.jpg

Looks like the list a 6 year old would make.

BigMeatballDave
02-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Replace the cockchugging eternally overrated metrosexual douchy piece of shit Seinfeld with Archer and that's not a bad list.

LMAO Admit it. You've never watched more than 2 episodes of Seinfeld.

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 02:47 PM
Looks like the list a 6 year old would make.

Um. 6 year olds don't watch bewitched.

listopencil
02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
That show single-handedly paved the way for animated shows to have a spot at the Primetime dinner table.

There is nothing new under the Sun.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/51/The_Flintstones.jpg/250px-The_Flintstones.jpg

Rain Man
02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Cheers
The Office
Seinfeld
Simpsons
MASH
NightCourt
Parks and Rec
Family Guy
Barney Miller
Wonder Years

If I ever need a roommate, I'm calling you.

Rain Man
02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Family Guy
South Park
Futurama
Simpsons
American Dad
Spongebob Squarepants
I Carly
Bobby's World
Bewitched
NCIS
Boy Meets World

If I ever need a roommate, I'm calling predarat.

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
If I ever need a roommate, I'm calling predarat.

LMAO

Frazod
02-17-2012, 03:53 PM
LMAO Admit it. You've never watched more than 2 episodes of Seinfeld.

Actually, I've seen quite a few of them.

I obviously don't think it's an unfunny show. I think it sucks compared to the others listed.

Messier
02-17-2012, 05:03 PM
I think it turned out very well. I might switch Seinfeld and Simpsons.
My top ten

The Simpsons
Seinfeld
The Andy Griffith Show
30 Rock
The Dick Van Dyke show
Police Squad
WKRP
Cheers
Strangers with Candy
Mary Tyler Moore

MagicHef
02-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Seinfeld
Arrested Development
Mary Tyler Moore
Dick Van Dyke
Modern Family
Parks and Rec
Community
News Radio
Friends
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

A few weeks ago, Cheers probably would have been on this list (probably pretty high, too), but I just recently watched the episode where Sam basically rapes Diane, and it really turned me off of the show. It probably didn't help that I was watching it with my daughter.

BigMeatballDave
02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Actually, I've seen quite a few of them.

I obviously don't it's an unfunny show. I think it sucks compared to the others listed.

Admittedly, I'm not crazy about the first 2 seasons. Its started slow and somehow avoided cancellation. This poll turned out great for me with my 2 favorite shows Seinfeld and Cheers in the finals. :)