PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto "Discount" tires?

L.A. Chieffan
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
So I take my wife's Dodge into a Discount Tires for a new set. She's had it for about 35k and this is the first time I've had to replace them and the first time i've used this place.

Anyways I got the new tires for about a hundred a piece which I can live with, but he offered me a three year alignment package for 169. I think he could tell I wasn't really interested so he said he could do it for 129. Alright, I says.

Then when I look at the estimate on it it says something about Life of the Tire Service agreement, 11 bucks a tire for another 44 bucks. Wtf. This is bullshit right? It sounds like an extra warranty service he slammed on there and didn't tell me about. What do you guys think? I'm thinking about telling him to shove it up his ass and cancel the alignment as well for trying to pull some shady shit.
I'm next door at the nice little Mexican food restaurant eating some huevos y chorizo waiting your response.

L.A. Chieffan
02-16-2012, 09:55 AM
The little heina working at the cafe keeps giving me the eye too so I think I'll stay here for longer.

Predarat
02-16-2012, 09:55 AM
That place is a rip off. They are fast though so you better hurry up to tell them to fuck off.

vailpass
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
So I take my wife's Dodge into a Discount Tires for a new set. She's had it for about 35k and this id the first time I've had to replace them add well add the first time i've used this place.

Anyways I got the new tires for about a hundred a piece which I can live with, but he offered me a three year alignment package for 169. I think he could tell I want really interested so he said he could do it for 129. Alright, I says.

Then when I look at the estimate on it it days something about Life of the Tire Service agreement, 11 bucks a tire for another 44 bucks. Wtf. This is bullshit right? It sounds like an extra warranty service he slammed on there and didn't tell me about. What do you guys think? I'm thinking about telling him to shove it up his ass and cancel the alignment as well for trying to pull some shady shit.
I'm next door at the nice little Mexican food restaurant eating some huevos y chorizo waiting your response.

The lifetime tire warranty is for replacing your tire on a pro-rated basis for non-repairable occurrences such as blown side wall, etc. If you buy it you are saying you think you will need to use it.

On an inexpensive set of tires like the set you bought it hardly seems worth it.

Monty
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I had this years ago. If you get a flat, they'll cover the cost of a new tire. If that happens, it pays for itself easily. If you think you'll have a flat or your tires aren't covered under another policy, it's worth it. I'm thinking that he probably missed and/or forget to explain it to you.

Monty
02-16-2012, 09:58 AM
The lifetime tire warranty is for replacing your tire on a pro-rated basis for non-repairable occurrences such as blown side wall, etc.
On an inexpensive set of tires like the set you bought it hardly seems worth it.

$44/all tires vs $100/tire

Is this the new math? :D

vailpass
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
$44/all tires vs $100/tire

Is this the new math? :D

$25.00 handling fee + pro-rated over tread wear.
Reading the fine print is the old math.

Detoxing
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM

What does "pro-rated over tread wear" mean?

That the value of the warranty goes down as the tire wears?

vailpass
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I had this years ago. If you get a flat, they'll cover the cost of a new tire. If that happens, it pays for itself easily. If you think you'll have a flat or your tires aren't covered under another policy, it's worth it. I'm thinking that he probably missed and/or forget to explain it to you.

Discount Tire gives free rotation, air ups and flat repairs, at least they advertise such here in AZ

L.A. Chieffan
02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
That place is a rip off. They are fast though so you better hurry up to tell them to fuck off.

Are they? They got decent ratings on yelp and they're right down the street. I understand everybody's got to make a buck but I think its messed up they tried to slide it by me. I know I look stupid but i'm not THAT stupid.

vailpass
02-16-2012, 10:04 AM
What does "pro-rated over tread wear mean"?

Yes, at least that is what the verbiage says on the set of tires I bought from them for my wife's car last year.

stonedstooge
02-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Are they? They got decent ratings on yelp and they're right down the street. I understand everybody's got to make a buck but I think its messedup they tried to slide it by me. I know I look stupid but i'm not THAT stupid.

You mean like Matt Casshole a franchise quarterback stupid?

L.A. Chieffan
02-16-2012, 10:05 AM
You mean like Matt Casshole a franchise quarterback stupid?

We'll agree to disagree on that one. And also agree that i'm right.

Detoxing
02-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Are they? They got decent ratings on yelp and they're right down the street. I understand everybody's got to make a buck but I think its messed up they tried to slide it by me. I know I look stupid but i'm not THAT stupid.

That place is not a rip off. The tires are priced about as competitively as it gets as are their services. I can't speak on their warranties but IMO, everything else is kosher as far as large brands go.

Now, if you're use to shopping at Juanito's Tire supply, then yeah, their service is probably going to a bit more expensive than your typical Mexican Tire Dive.

kepp
02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
So, what about that little heina? Anything happening there?

vailpass
02-16-2012, 10:09 AM

I put a set of Michelin Latitudes on my wife's car and saved about $200 from what the dealer was going to charge. They did a solid job plus they do free air checks and rotations for her as well as flat repair.

Phobia
02-16-2012, 10:09 AM
What does "pro-rated over tread wear" mean?

Yeah. Discount tire used to give that road hazard warranty away. That was the reason people used to go to them. It set them apart from the competition. Then they started charging a couple bucks per tire which was still okay. But now it's $11 per tire and they prorate the wear. And now there's apparently a $25 service fee on top of it. I'd tell them to cram the $44 up their ass. Same for the alignment thing.

I buy my crap at Costco. They include the roadhazard. It's prorated but it doesn't cost me extra. Plus they do free rotations for life.

Monty
02-16-2012, 10:10 AM

Fair enough, but in my policy, which is from =/- 10 years ago, it wasn't pro-rated.

vailpass
02-16-2012, 10:12 AM
Fair enough, but in my policy, which is from =/- 10 years ago, it wasn't pro-rated.

I am in no way claiming to be an expert and I'm sure you are correct. Was just relaying the single experience I had. They may have different forms of warranties, change terms often, etc.

Monty
02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah. Discount tire used to give that road hazard warranty away. That was the reason people used to go to them. It set them apart from the competition. Then they started charging a couple bucks per tire which was still okay. But now it's $11 per tire and they prorate the wear. And now there's apparently a $25 service fee on top of it. I'd tell them to cram the $44 up their ass. Same for the alignment thing.

I buy my crap at Costco. They include the roadhazard. It's prorated but it doesn't cost me extra. Plus they do free rotations for life.

If that's the case, I agree. It's been a few years since I used DT. I just get the Service Plan with the dealership and negotiate that plan upfront when I buy a new vehicle.