PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto I'll probably buy this car tomorrow

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Here's a chance for you car experts who know better to talk me out of it.

2003 Pontiac Grand AM GT
93k miles
3.40 V-6
4 speed automatic w/overdrive
all leather interior
cd/cassette
sun roof

I'm getting a great deal mostly due to being friends with the dealership chains Advertising Director... a former client of mine in another life.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6186/car1e.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/car1e.jpg/)

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7071/car2ez.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/267/car2ez.jpg/)

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/8047/car3y.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/401/car3y.jpg/)

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9986/car4m.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/car4m.jpg/)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3617/car5kg.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/car5kg.jpg/)

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6669/car6h.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/408/car6h.jpg/)

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5662/car7v.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/car7v.jpg/)

Bowser
02-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Chick car

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Chick car

Sah-weet

Bowser
02-16-2012, 07:23 PM
J/K

The wife drove one for a few years. The only issue the damned thing had was a short in th eturn signal. It would rapid fire click going down the road for no reason at all. Other than that, it drove pretty well.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:24 PM
J/K

The wife drove one for a few years. The only issue the damned thing had was a short in th eturn signal. It would rapid fire click going down the road for no reason at all. Other than that, it drove pretty well.

Wow that's funny.... we've already agreed they're fixing that.

LMAO

Baconeater
02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Dude I would do some research on that car, some of those are notorious for head gasket problems...something about DexCool.

Count Zarth
02-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Price?

crispystl420
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Price?

Yeah man we can't be objective without a price. i mean a damn Yugo would be a good buy for 150.00

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Dude I would do some research on that car, some of those are notorious for head gasket problems...something about DexCool.

Thanks... one of my brothers is a mechanic although he's out of state but I'm talking to him. I'm also taking to my mechanic here tomorrow for a good once over. That's why I said probably... buying it.

crispystl420
02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Thanks... one of my brothers is a mechanic although he's out of state but I'm talking to him. I'm also taking to my mechanic here tomorrow for a good once over. That's why I said probably... buying it.

He's right though it will probably blow the head gasket around 150K

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Good to know thanks. That'll take me 3 years or the life of the loan. I've been driving a Grand Prix for 4 years and am now at 209k miles on it... never had that problem.

Baconeater
02-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Cool. I don't know a lot about it, but I've heard enough that I'd be wary of buying one of these. And that's coming from someone who is a big Pontiac fan, I'm pissed with the way that GM completely ruined and ultimately killed the brand.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Cool. I don't know a lot about it, but I've heard enough that I'd be wary of buying one of these. And that's coming from someone who is a big Pontiac fan, I'm pissed with the way that GM completely ruined and ultimately killed the brand.

Is a a Grand AM GT thing or just Pontiac in general? Like I mentioned my Grand Prix didn't have that problem.

hometeam
02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
In general they are junk. As with all cars, you will hear people who drove them to a gazilion miles and had no problems, and you will hear about ones that never made it home from the dealer new.

The saving grace is they are fairly cheap/easy to fix. Be prepared for the fact that GM products in general have terrible fit and finish ( even my sexy ass TA has rattles and crappy interior quality )

My advice? Find a different car that doesnt have a history of total suckage.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Yeah man we can't be objective without a price. i mean a damn Yugo would be a good buy for 150.00

$5200 before trade in and down payment. KBB has it at $6900. Like I said... friend deal. Sticker price at the dealership is close to KBB.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-16-2012, 07:44 PM
$6,150????? I'd have guessed about $4,900.

Psyko Tek
02-16-2012, 07:45 PM
I like the look of grand ams,
but I end up doing most of my mechanics stuff myself

and I will never own a transverse mounted front wheel drive car again

thinking about buying this baby
74 valiant slant 6
that's a car a guy can work on

Mr. Flopnuts
02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
$5200 before trade in and down payment. KBB has it at $6900. Like I said... friend deal. Sticker price at the dealership is close to KBB.

i would never trade in. You'll do better on craigslist. That's a lot of money for a car with 100k miles. I don't know shit about cars, so, just my humble opinion.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
$6,150????? I'd have guessed about $4,900.

Who said $6150? I said KBB is at $6900.

Baconeater
02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Is a a Grand AM GT thing or just Pontiac in general? Like I mentioned my Grand Prix didn't have that problem.
Again, I don't know much about it other than several people I know having head gasket problems with Grand Ams. One of them mentioned something about DexCool, and I've heard that come up here and there over the years. I've never dug deep enough into it to know if it affected certain makes/models/powertrains more than others, or what years or models they used it in.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:48 PM
i would never trade in. You'll do better on craigslist. That's a lot of money for a car with 100k miles. I don't know shit about cars, so, just my humble opinion.

I appreciate it but I just want to be rid of it. It's worth the price of the new radiator and muffler on it. I've beat it to death. If they didn't offer the trade I'd have sold it to a scrap yard... which is what they'll do.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Again, I don't know much about it other than several people I know having head gasket problems with Grand Ams. One of them mentioned something about DexCool, and I've heard that come up here and there over the years. I've never dug deep enough into it to know if it affected certain makes/models/powertrains more than others, or what years or models they used it in.

So can't you just not use DexCool? Texting my brother about it btw.

Kyle DeLexus
02-16-2012, 08:02 PM

Used cars seem more expensive right now. I chalked it up to cash for clunkers, but there could be some other reason I'm not even thinking of.

Lumpy
02-16-2012, 08:03 PM
My brother had an older Grand Am and he loved it.

He's gay, btw. Just sayin'. :p

Gonzo
02-16-2012, 08:05 PM

This!

Beer me, take it from a former GM mechanic. You need to seriously check the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets and water pump. Look at the coolant, see if it's compromised.

Also, I'm fairly sure some gay butt-secks has taken place in that thing. Check the back seat for trail marks and gay potato chips. K?

:D
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:06 PM

So there's that....

Count Zarth
02-16-2012, 08:08 PM

That's a good deal, IMO. The carfax was awesome, and the interior looks clean as fuck.

It's fucking hard to get anything at a good dealership under 100k that low, in that condition.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
This!

Beer me, take it from a former GM mechanic. You need to seriously check the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets and water pump. Look at the coolant, see if it's compromised.

Also, I'm fairly sure some gay butt-secks has taken place in that thing. Check the back seat for trail marks and gay potato chips. K?

Posted via Mobile Device

Just made a list for my mechanic.... hold on........................... t r a i l..... m a r k s................ ok got it down thanks!

Lumpy
02-16-2012, 08:10 PM
So there's that....

Yes, but it's not all that bad. FTR, he's my favorite brother. :D

Seriously though, it's a nice looking car. It sounds like you're getting a decent deal on it too, (as long as it's not a lemon).

Lumpy
02-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Just made a list for my mechanic.... hold on........................... t r a i l..... m a r k s................ ok got it down thanks!

Don't forget "potato chips"!

Detoxing
02-16-2012, 08:13 PM
In general they are junk. As with all cars, you will hear people who drove them to a gazilion miles and had no problems, and you will hear about ones that never made it home from the dealer new.

The saving grace is they are fairly cheap/easy to fix. Be prepared for the fact that GM products in general have terrible fit and finish ( even my sexy ass TA has rattles and crappy interior quality )

My advice? Find a different car that doesnt have a history of total suckage.

Completely this.

Same goes for my Firebird Formula, Love it to death, but damn once it got to 100k, rattles started appearing out of nowhere. Still drives like a beast, but fit & finish could use some work.

As far as the Grand Am goes, Ram Air hoods should be left on Trans Ams. With all due respect, the car is garish. It looks like a 40-yr old something is trying their absolute hardest to still be young.

Not saying that's you. Just saying that's the impression that i get when i see that car.

Looks clean though, well kept from the pics if my eyes don't deceive me.

And isn't that one of the final years of the Grand Am? I don't recall.

But if it is, I've heard that the final year or two of production yields the best cars.

Meh.

ILWarpaint

That price is more than fair. It would almost sell for that much at wholesale auction. Make sure the moonroof works as it should and seals up good when closed. I have seen some problems with them as they get older.

Dr. Facebook Fever
Don't forget "potato chips"!

I've inspected it enough to find potato chips and found none. I'm sure the detailers at the dealership took care to dispose of them.

Count Zarth
02-16-2012, 08:19 PM
It looks like a 40-yr old something is trying their absolute hardest to still be young.

Meh. It's not like it's a stinking Miata or something.

I'm guessing Beer Me just wants something a little sporty to drive instead of a yawner.

Baconeater
02-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Did a bit of googling, and from what I've read it sounds like the biggest problems were from either mixing other coolants with DexCool, or running the system low. And it sounds like you can flush the system and use standard coolants. If you buy it you absolutely need to find out which coolant is in it because mixing them apparently causes it to gel up.

Baconeater
02-16-2012, 08:22 PM
As far as the looks of the car, hell yes I would drive it if I was single with no kids and didn't have a job that required me to haul equipment and materials around.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd drive it if I was gay.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Meh. It's not like it's a stinking Miata or something.

I'm guessing Beer Me just wants something a little sporty to drive instead of a yawner.

Pretty much this. I wasn't actually looking for something "sporty" I was completely cool with a good, reliable old man car. So I call up my buddy and tell him what I need.... price range and stuff... he hooks me up with a salesman and shows me the stuff they had that fit. Just so happened that a pewter firebird and this car are available and I like this car. Drives really well and feels good on the road. Seems now a deal can likely be made.

Detoxing... I actually asked 2 friends if they thought it looked too much like a mid life crisis car and they said no... but I understand what you mean. I was kind of meh at the pics but in person it's really clean and sharp so.... I guess I'm not ready for a Corolla just yet.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM
As far as the looks of the car, hell yes I would drive it if I was single with no kids and didn't have a job that required me to haul equipment and materials around.

I guess what I'm saying is I'd drive it if I was gay.

LOL... well I am single and my teenage daughter wants me to buy it and give it to her in a year and all I haul are cd's and a guitar sometimes. I haven't gotten the gay down but maybe Lumpys brother can help out.

LiveSteam
The Z fluxdelorean modulations system ROCK on this model

Count Zarth
Get the pewter one, because if a cop pulls you over for speeding because you're driving a red v6, well, that's just embarrassing.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Did a bit of googling, and from what I've read it sounds like the biggest problems were from either mixing other coolants with DexCool, or running the system low. And it sounds like you can flush the system and use standard coolants. If you buy it you absolutely need to find out which coolant is in it because mixing them apparently causes it to gel up.

Good advice and I'm sure my mechanic knows that but it's good to have that in my pocket to bring up. Brother hasn't texted me back.

Appreciate all your help Bug.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Get the pewter one, because if a cop pulls you over for speeding because you're driving a red v6, well, that's just embarrassing.

Firebird had an offer on it tonight before me... if it falls through tomorrow I'll test drive it.

Count Zarth
02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
I wasn't actually looking for something "sporty" I was completely cool with a good, reliable old man car.

You might want to look at Volvos. :shrug:

The 2001+ are decent looking, too.

I was looking at one with only 67k on it a few weeks ago for only 6500 after TTL.

arrowheadnation
02-16-2012, 08:34 PM

My 96 Grand Am GT blew a head gasket around 185k. I had a slow antifreeze leak for a year or so. We didn't want to sink a lot of money into it so I kept a jug of coolant in my back seat and I just kept refilling it whenever it would get low. Then I went into class one day and when I came back out, there was sticky note on my window that said "your antifreeze is on the ground under your car." I had the head gasket fixed and drove it for another 30k before trading it off. One other thing, mine went through 3 belts in a 7 year period. I don't know if that's an epidemic that effects Pontiacs or if I was just unlucky. As someone said earlier, make sure to check the moonroof and ALL of the windows. My drivers side window was hit and miss when I tried to put it up and down, then about 4 or 5 months after I bought it, it stopped altogether....while I was getting my food at a drive through....while the window was all the way down....in a rain storm...pissed me off. It was like $400 to fix, so I never messed with it. I also never went through another drive through or ate at another Sonic for the rest of the time I owned it (too ashamed).

Lumpy
02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
LOL... well I am single and my teenage daughter wants me to buy it and give it to her in a year and all I haul are cd's and a guitar sometimes. I haven't gotten the gay down but maybe Lumpys brother can help out.

Sorry, friend... my brother is already taken. Darn it all to hell, huh? :(

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
As far as the Grand Am goes, Ram Air hoods should be left on Trans Ams. With all due respect, the car is garish. It looks like a 40-yr old something is trying their absolute hardest to still be young.

Not saying that's you. Just saying that's the impression that i get when i see that car.

I get what you're saying here too. My job is good at keeping me young at 42 so I guess it's maybe not a stretch in my mind....

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:40 PM
You might want to look at Volvos. :shrug:

The 2001+ are decent looking, too.

I was looking at one with only 67k on it a few weeks ago for only 6500 after TTL.

Appreciate it... I'm pretty much going to go with something at this dealership most likely.... we have a history... whether it's this car or another.

Detoxing
02-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Pretty much this. I wasn't actually looking for something "sporty" I was completely cool with a good, reliable old man car. So I call up my buddy and tell him what I need.... price range and stuff... he hooks me up with a salesman and shows me the stuff they had that fit. Just so happened that a pewter firebird and this car are available and I like this car. Drives really well and feels good on the road. Seems now a deal can likely be made.

Detoxing... I actually asked 2 friends if they thought it looked too much like a mid life crisis car and they said no... but I understand what you mean. I was kind of meh at the pics but in person it's really clean and sharp so.... I guess I'm not ready for a Corolla just yet.

Yeah man. If it's clean and sharp, go for it. And it's likely gonna last you longer than that Firebird. If other Firebird owners are like me, then that car has been through hell and back.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry, friend... my brother is already taken. Darn it all to hell, huh? :(

Story of my life...

But my ex gf wants to get back together so........

Lumpy
02-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Story of my life...

Good deal! :thumb:

Raiderhater58
02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
I think the window thing is a Pontiac thing Ive replaced the motor in all four windows on my Grand Prix and put a new motor in it due to anti-freeze leaking into the oil due to a gasket issue which the guy at the dealership told me that Pontiac knew about but it would be to costly to recall, aint that some shit

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Good deal! :thumb:

Maybe... haven't decided yet. Trying not to give in the freckles and red hair without due diligence.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:50 PM
I think the window thing is a Pontiac thing Ive replaced the motor in all four windows on my Grand Prix and put a new motor in it due to anti-freeze leaking into the oil due to a gasket issue which the guy at the dealership told me that Pontiac knew about but it would be to costly to recall, aint that some shit

Nice. Didn't have that issue with my Grand Prix either but each car is different.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:54 PM
That price is more than fair. It would almost sell for that much at wholesale auction. Make sure the moonroof works as it should and seals up good when closed. I have seen some problems with them as they get older.

Thanks

Count Zarth
02-16-2012, 08:57 PM
FYI, Corollas are hot now.

http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/b/blue_toyota_corolla-7278.jpg

So are Accords:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200701/2008-honda-accord_460x0w.jpg

Detoxing
02-16-2012, 08:58 PM

I had to replace the driver side power window motor twice. Power antenna motor just went out.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 08:59 PM
FYI, Corollas are hot now.

http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/b/blue_toyota_corolla-7278.jpg

So are Accords:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200701/2008-honda-accord_460x0w.jpg

Corollas are great cars and those do look good. Can't afford new on a small market radio salary though. I love Toyota. If I had the money that's all I'd buy.

Phobia
02-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Nice. Didn't have that issue with my Grand Prix either but each car is different.

Your Grand Prix had window cranks. That's why you didn't have that problem.

MIAdragon
02-16-2012, 09:01 PM
That Firebird looks MUCH better than that Grand AM

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Your Grand Prix had window cranks. That's why you didn't have that problem.

Not sure I know what you mean... Grand Prixs windows are electric.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:05 PM
That Firebird looks MUCH better than that Grand AM

It was my first choice too but it's likely sold before I got to it.

Phobia
02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Not sure I know what you mean... Grand Prixs windows are electric.

I'm just being an idiot.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm just being an idiot.

I figured but didn't want to assume heh.

Baconeater
02-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Dude, I found your car. This is you.

http://pictures.dealer.com/s/shottenkirktoyota/0582/f3b8abd30c93af4cb3333fa619abb5a5x.jpg

MIAdragon
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM

http://pictures.dealer.com/s/shottenkirktoyota/0582/f3b8abd30c93af4cb3333fa619abb5a5x.jpg

Thats a puss magnet!

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:17 PM

LMAO

The salesman pitched me that one tonight. I said "Rick... we know each other. Please stop being a ****ing idiot." He laughed and we test drove the Grand AM.

edit.... sorry that's not the one he pitched me... but very similar.

Darien25
02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
I had to replace the driver side power window motor twice. Power antenna motor just went out.

I had a sweet 89 GTA Trans Am that I bought a year old and with about 10K miles on it. It was super fast and a blast to drive but after numerous electrical problems (three alternators, fuel pump, window motor and power antenna motor) the thing became a money pit that I could no longer reliably drive. The dang headlights wouldn't come up half the time and the paint started flaking off the top and rear trunk area. The leather seats cracked and hardened prematurely and by the time I sold it four years later it looked like a total POS.

Count Zarth
02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Thats a puss magnet!

Lots of room to fuck in the back.

Baconeater
02-16-2012, 09:22 PM
LMAO

The salesman pitched me that one tonight. I said "Rick... we know each other. Please stop being a ****ing idiot." He laughed and we test drove the Grand AM.

edit.... sorry that's not the one he pitched me... but very similar.
Even funnier than the car, is that it's 20 years old, and they're asking six grand for it.

That Caddy they have there for $7k is looks pretty slick. You'd be ballin' (whatever that means) in that ride.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Who said $6150? I said KBB is at $6900.

the dealer has it piced at $6161

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Even funnier than the car, is that it's 20 years old, and they're asking six grand for it.

That Caddy they have there for $7k is looks pretty slick. You'd be ballin' (whatever that means) in that ride.

Heh I looked at the caddy. Just not me. I'm more middle aged guy desperately clinging to his youth.

Besides if I bought a caddy my ex would take me to court for more child support.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
the dealer has it piced at $6161

Yeah for some reason they have lower prices on-line than sticker.... nice.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm thinking if it passes my mechanics inspection I'll go in and offer them $4800-$5000. See if they'll budge more. If they will I'll have a sweet deal after minimal trade in and down payment. It's already affordable after all.

Johnny Vegas
02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I used to drive the save exact car and hated it. Yea it went fast, but fuckin thing was always in the shop. Good riddance. Good luck.

rtmike
02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
meh, keep looking...

Tombstone RJ
02-16-2012, 09:40 PM
This!

Posted via Mobile Device

yep, those little aluminum block V6's over heat fast. Also, they start making a ticking noise too which could be a stuck lifter. tick, tick, tick....

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but to check the head gaskets don't you really have to dig into the engine pretty deep?

Tombstone RJ
02-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but to check the head gaskets don't you really have to dig into the engine pretty deep?

unscrew the oil cap and look at it, is it milky or does it have a milky residue on it? Blown head gasket, also, you can sometimes see residue or scorching on the dipstick too. It means the dealership just changed the oil, but it's probably got a problem.

Also, listen very closely for a ticking noise. They are a pretty quiet little engine if everything is operating right, but if you hear a slight ticking noise, buyer be ware.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:53 PM
unscrew the oil cap and look at it, is it milky or does it have a milky residue on it? Blown head gasket, also, you can sometimes see residue or scorching on the dipstick too. It means the dealership just changed the oil, but it's probably got a problem.

Also, listen very closely for a ticking noise. They are a pretty quiet little engine if everything is operating right, but if you hear a slight ticking noise, buyer be ware.

Excellent thanks. Got a checklist for the mechanic. Appreciate it.

rtmike
02-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Now you're talking. My white wagon at the dealership, absolutely love this thing. Awesome being able to throw my chair in back & away we go.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/rtmike472/My%20rides/2005%20Magnum%20RT/727526b2.jpg

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Now you're talking. My white wagon at the dealership, absolutely love this thing. Awesome being able to throw my chair in back & away we go.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb300/rtmike472/My%20rides/2005%20Magnum%20RT/727526b2.jpg

That's fairly cool for a wagon.

Phobia
02-16-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd take either of the white wagons on this thread in a heartbeat.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 10:19 PM
I'd take either of the white wagons on this thread in a heartbeat.

Why have you always hated me Phil? I know we had a lovers quarrel for a while but once upon a time we bro hugged.

Buck
02-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Grand Am, seriously?

Get out of here with that non Camaro bullshit.

DenverDanChiefsFan
02-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Story of my life...

She must have read this thread about the rockin car :evil:

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Grand Am, seriously?

Get out of here with that non Camaro bullshit.

Sorry I'm not a Camerohead or totally stuck in the 80's. Just mostly.

Phobia
02-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Why have you always hated me Phil? I know we had a lovers quarrel for a while but once upon a time we bro hugged.

What? I'm just saying for me. I bought a white saturn wagon for fuel economy reasons. Throw a few tools in the back and go. It blew up about a year ago and I'd like another.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
She must have read this thread about the rockin car :evil:

I think it has more to do with me being the one guy that's always treated her with love and respect... and my enormous penis. She always liked that too.

Demonpenz
02-16-2012, 10:24 PM

rolling birth control

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 10:25 PM
What? I'm just saying for me. I bought a white saturn wagon for fuel economy reasons. Throw a few tools in the back and go. It blew up about a year ago and I'd like another.

OK I admit I just wanted to bro hug again. I always loved your goat and your gigantic head.....

FAX
02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
The leader of Freedom Valley is sad to see the hot blond chick with the super, awesome tittahs leave with Bruce Campbell to try and find the President. I can't blame him, though. She is super hot and has those full, pouty lips that make you feel sorry for her because she hasn't been bonked enough lately.

FAX

BossChief
02-16-2012, 11:05 PM
If you're making payments and have decent credit, why don't you just go buy a brand new corolla or versa?

You'd probably be making the same payments (but for more years, obviously) but would have a much more solid car for a very long time if you take care of it.

You probably aren't gonna get a homerun deal on a corolla right now, but Nissan is cutting deals and make very solid cars.

I just bought a brand new 2011 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab with the tow package and the SV lineup for 21,500 when the sticker is almost 29,000.

If you are looking to buy a vehicle, now is the PERFECT time to go to a dealership and try to work a deal for a 2011.

smittysbar
02-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Good to know thanks. That'll take me 3 years or the life of the loan. I've been driving a Grand Prix for 4 years and am now at 209k miles on it... never had that problem.

My wifes went at 80k

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 11:17 PM
If you're making payments and have decent credit, why don't you just go buy a brand new corolla or versa?

You'd probably be making the same payments (but for more years, obviously) but would have a much more solid car for a very long time if you take care of it.

You probably aren't gonna get a homerun deal on a corolla right now, but Nissan is cutting deals and make very solid cars.

I just bought a brand new 2011 Nissan Frontier 4x4 crew cab with the tow package and the SV lineup for 21,500 when the sticker is almost 29,000.

If you are looking to buy a vehicle, now is the PERFECT time to go to a dealership and try to work a deal for a 2011.

Because I need my new payment to be under $200 a month. I'm all but maxed with rent, utilities, cable/internet, consolidation loan, medical bills, insurance and child support. If they can make a deal for a new car for under $200 a month I'm open to it. I don't think it's going to happen. I still need grocerys, gas and incidentals too.

My credit is good but I won't live beyond my means.

BossChief
02-16-2012, 11:25 PM
The payment on my truck is s hair over 400 after the 120,000 mile warranty, tax, title and the whole ball of wax.

Versas are half of what my truck costs and I know people that bought base model ones from Iowa city for under 11k...corolla is the best made "cheap car" ever and they are also very cheap.

Seriously, I'd look into either option before going forward with the Pontiac if for nothing else for piece of mind.

I'll probably never again buy a used car after owning a new one that I got an outstanding deal on.

It would be worth stopping by and taking one for a spin.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 11:28 PM
The payment on my truck is s hair over 400 after the 120,000 mile warranty, tax, title and the whole ball of wax.

Versas are half of what my truck costs and I know people that bought base model ones from Iowa city for under 11k...corolla is the best made "cheap car" ever and they are also very cheap.

Seriously, I'd look into either option before going forward with the Pontiac if for nothing else for piece of mind.

I'll probably never again buy a used car after owning a new one that I got an outstanding deal on.

It would be worth stopping by and taking one for a spin.

I'll ask them about it tomorrow. If we can swing a deal then that's great. Thanks for the advice.

BigMeatballDave
02-16-2012, 11:28 PM

Yep. It corrodes the head gaskets. GM should have done a recall.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Yep. It corrodes the head gaskets. GM should have done a recall.

My brother said to do a flush and fill with the green, not the orange... no DexCool... change it out completely and I'll be fine.

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2012, 11:34 PM
I paid just over $5K for the 2000 Grand Prix GPX 3.8L that I helped my HS sophomore buy last month. It's one-owner, no-accident and 120K miles. Given the crazy post-Obama-cash-for-clunkers debacle....I feel pretty good so far. It's been well maintained and cared-for. The leather seats had one issue, and operational/ engine/ drive-train checked out "very nice" from my Mechanic. Otherwise, it's nicer in most ways than the 2002 Civic I'm driving...though my gas mileage kicks ass.

Silock
02-16-2012, 11:43 PM
That hood is atrocious. Pass.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 11:46 PM
That hood is atrocious. Pass.

I don't think it's bad... my kid who's likely to get it in a couple years loves it... and I'm more concerned with the longevity of the whole car... but thanks.

:)

bevischief
02-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Go with what Bosschief said. At 93k you are coming up on some important mile stones on maintenance.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 07:29 AM
My brother said to do a flush and fill with the green, not the orange... no DexCool... change it out completely and I'll be fine.

except for the existing damage.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 07:30 AM
if you try to go with a cheap new car, look at Kia or Hyundai. Get that 10yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty.

HemiEd
02-17-2012, 07:35 AM
It is not a Honda, Nissan, Acura, Hyundai or Toyota so it is junk/chiefsplanet

Sounds like a good buy and in decent shape, good luck with it. :thumb:

Phobia
02-17-2012, 07:53 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/grand-am/2003/consumer-reviews.html

Phobia
02-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Have you done any homework on that car? I spent 3 minutes looking around and I would be wary: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080823125158AAp419f

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 07:56 AM

Nightmare (http://www.edmunds.com/pontiac/grand-am/2003/consumer-reviews/nightmare.html?style=100082477&sub=&reviewId=184563267) By Dude on 08/23/09 12:29 PM (PDT)
Vehicle

2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)
Review

I've had this car since it was brand new and it's been nothing but a nightmare to own. I'm now seeing many of the problems I've had from other reviewers, including turn signal clicking when not in use,paint peeling, seals. Two weeks after purchase, the a/c went - needed air compressor and it's been downhill ever since. I only have 31,000 but have had the brake pedal assembly replaced due to car picking up speed, even going up hill, needed 2 batteries replaced in less than 3 mos., sunroof leaked, had ignition cylinder replaced 3 times because car wouldn't start; 3 days after most recent replacement, security light has been coming on while driving and dealership says can't disconnect. Run!

Yet he gives it 4.5 stars as a rating. WTF.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 07:58 AM
somethigns amiss with the ratings on Edmunds. Read all the terrible reviews, yet they give it 4, 4.5, 5 stars???

Lzen
02-17-2012, 08:31 AM

I believe you can have your system power flushed and put in regular polypropyl antifreeze. And the thing about DexCool is that it can break down the intake gasket. When that happens, your oil and antifreeze mix together.

HemiEd
02-17-2012, 08:38 AM

Have you done any homework on that car? I spent 3 minutes looking around and I would be wary: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080823125158AAp419f

I rest my case. ROFL

I believe you can have your system power flushed and put in regular polypropyl antifreeze. And the thing about DexCool is that it can break down the rear seal. When that happens, your oil and antifreeze mix together.

Nope, rear main seal will let the oil run out on the driveway, has nothing to do with the cooling system. It is usually a head gasket, or crack in the head or block that lets them mix.

Phobia
02-17-2012, 08:54 AM
I rest my case. ROFL

I think he should buy whatever it is that gives him good value for his money. Doesn't look like that's a Grand Am based on several different sources. What American made products are actually dependable in the $5000 & 100k miles
ballpark?

Saul Good
02-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Yes, but was he gay before he purchased the vehicle. This is important.

gblowfish
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
It's got a cassette player?
oooooooo......retro, man!

Pushead2
02-17-2012, 09:12 AM
RUN....

Deberg_1990
02-17-2012, 09:14 AM
It is not a Honda, Nissan, Acura, Hyundai or Toyota so it is junk

Yes, this

Lzen
02-17-2012, 09:22 AM
if you try to go with a cheap new car, look at Kia or Hyundai. Get that 10yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty.

Wife wants an Optima. I gotta admit, those are pretty slick lookin' rides.

Lzen
02-17-2012, 09:23 AM
I rest my case. ROFL

Nope, rear main seal will let the oil run out on the driveway, has nothing to do with the cooling system. It is usually a head gasket, or crack in the head or block that lets them mix.

Doh! You're right. I meant intake gasket.

Fairplay
02-17-2012, 09:28 AM
I wonder if beerme is signing the papers right as we speak?

Will he start to feel gay driving it right away or does that grow on you like a virus.

Radar Chief
02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Jujitsu Instructor buddy had one of those with the sport package and on a smooth road the thing was on rails but rode rough as hell on most of the roads that are in south east Kansas.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 10:08 AM
It's got a cassette player?
oooooooo......retro, man!

I know... score! Right? Heh.

Appreciate all the input here, good and bad. Taking it to the mechanic earlyish this afternoon. Talked to him a little about it over the phone and he's getting a reliability report together for me.

Found another guy I work with has the same car but a year older and he loves his, hasn't had any problems.

Obviously I know I could be buying the greatest car ever and some people will have a reason not to buy it and that's fine. That's why I asked... to get as much input as possible.

So again, thanks.

BossChief
02-17-2012, 10:10 AM

I'll take a nissan or Toyota with a 60,000 mile warranty over a Hyundai with a 100,000 mile warranty all day long.

Here is a crazy FACT on all Toyota vehicles:

Out of all the vehicles Toyota has made since 1991, over 80% of them are still running.

Go ask a Hyundai or Kia dealer how there brand stacks up.

I've owned 5 Nissan Maximas and 2 Frontiers and have NEVER had to deal with a repair over 400 bucks on any of them.

I had a Chevy Colorado for a year and a half and never went 3 months without needing something fairly major repaired.

Another thing, drive around and count how many older Hyundais there are on the road...then look for older coronas, maximas and Camrys....you will see lots and lots of 1991 Maximas still on the road and driving similarly to when they were new....you won't find a single 1991 Hyundai and I'll bet there aren't 80% of all kiss still on the road and I don't think they have been making cars more than around 10 years or so.

"I can shit in a box and call it guaranteed, but I'd rather stick my arm up a butchers ass to find out"

Dartgod
02-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Because I need my new payment to be under $200 a month. I'm all but maxed with rent, utilities, cable/internet, consolidation loan, medical bills, insurance and child support. If they can make a deal for a new car for under $200 a month I'm open to it. I don't think it's going to happen. I still need grocerys, gas and incidentals too.

My credit is good but I won't live beyond my means.

And spelling lessons! Those things are expensive as hell.

BossChief
02-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Also, pay a few bucks to run a carfax report.

You never know if something is out of whack with a used car unless you run the report.

It could actually have 200k miles and someone in arizona rolled the odometer back....or it could have been a flood vehicle...or a million other things that a mechanic sometimes can't see or doesn't look for due to the perceived mileage.

bevischief
02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
My Toyota has 266K miles on it and is still a daily driver.

Lzen
02-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Out of all the vehicles Toyota has made since 1991, over 80% of them are still running.

Not saying its untrue, but do you have a link to prove that figure is fact?

Saul Good
02-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Dealers run the Carfax.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
And spelling lessons! Those things are expensive as hell.

sigh

I asked for a carfax, they'll have it today when I go back in. Then I asked for a carfox and they gave me a stuffed animal... so bonus.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I'll take a nissan or Toyota with a 60,000 mile warranty over a Hyundai with a 100,000 mile warranty all day long.

Go ask a Hyundai or Kia dealer how there brand stacks up.

I've owned 5 Nissan Maximas and 2 Frontiers and have NEVER had to deal with a repair over 400 bucks on any of them.

I had a Chevy Colorado for a year and a half and never went 3 months without needing something fairly major repaired.

Another thing, drive around and count how many older Hyundais there are on the road...then look for older coronas, maximas and Camrys....you will see lots and lots of 1991 Maximas still on the road and driving similarly to when they were new....you won't find a single 1991 Hyundai and I'll bet there aren't 80% of all kiss still on the road and I don't think they have been making cars more than around 10 years or so.

"I can shit in a box and call it guaranteed, but I'd rather stick my arm up a butchers ass to find out"

suit yourself. I'm happy with our Santa Fe, and the fact that it still has 5 years full warranty on it after you're out of yours on your Nissan.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/best-used-cars.html

2 Hyundais
2 Toyotas (1 practically by default in the Hybrid category)
2 Honda
1 Nissan

BossChief
02-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Not saying its untrue, but do you have a link to prove that figure is fact?

It's on the back of every new car pamphlet you get from the dealership.

I was gonna buy a tacoma before I bought the Frontier and saw it on the little book they game me on the truck when I left to think about it before making my decision.

I wanted a tacoma more than the frontier, buy Toyota wouldn't budge on the price and I wet to "weigh my options" at other dealerships before making my decision and walked into the Nissan dealership on the last day if their June tent sale (damn, it doesn't seem that long ago...) and got 6k in dealer rebates, 1k in dealer cash and another thousand off if I bought it "that day"

Want to hear another crazy thing about that?

When I moved my Colorado into the spot for them to drive it to assess how much in trade they'd give me, all the seals for the transfer case blew right there in their parking lot and dropped all the fluid all over the floor!

Don't ever buy a chevy Colorado....complete junk!

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 10:47 AM

I was gonna buy a tacoma before I bought the Frontier and saw it on the little book they game me on the truck when I left to think about it before making my decision.

I wanted a tacoma more than the frontier, buy Toyota wouldn't budge on the price and I wet to "weigh my options" at other dealerships before making my decision and walked into the Nissan dealership on the last day if their June tent sale (damn, it doesn't seem that long ago...) and got 6k in dealer rebates, 1k in dealer cash and another thousand off if I bought it "that day"

When I moved my Colorado into the spot for them to drive it to assess how much in trade they'd give me, all the seals for the transfer case blew right there in their parking lot and dropped all the fluid all over the floor!

LOL....it's true because they said it was! Did they show you proof that that was higher than other brands?

Okie_Apparition
02-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Buy two beaters & gradually learn how to work on them
You can keep one running

BossChief
02-17-2012, 10:53 AM
suit yourself. I'm happy with our Santa Fe, and the fact that it still has 5 years full warranty on it after you're out of yours on your Nissan.

Those are actually pretty decent.

It's pretty outstanding that they back their product like they do nowadays.

I had to pay 1800 bucks (they discounted the warranty, too. I think it was supposed to be like 3k) for a 7 yr/120,000 mile warranty for my pickup.

It's definitely a fact to consider.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 10:56 AM

I had to pay 1800 bucks (they discounted the warranty, too. I think it was supposed to be like 3k) for a 7 yr/120,000 mile warranty for my pickup.

whats the deductible on the extended warranty?

BossChief
02-17-2012, 11:01 AM
LOL....it's true because they said it was! Did they show you proof that that was higher than other brands?

I'm not gonna do this vehicle pissing match with ya, bud.

There is no way that they print something on every brochure that isn't true.

It's impressive, but not really out of whack considering how many vehicles they have made in that time span.

Go to California and drive on the 101 for an hour...you will see lots of Toyotas that are from the 70s, 80s and 90s still being used as work trucks.

Lots of them.

I have no doubts that what they print on every pamphlet is true...if it weren't, couldn't they get taken to cort or something?

BossChief
02-17-2012, 11:04 AM
whats the deductible on the extended warranty?

It's bumper to bumper for that time period, too...not just powertrain (that only covers lubricated parts) and iirc the deductible is 50 bucks on some things but most there is none.

I'm well away from my paperwork or I would look into it and tell you for sure.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm not gonna do this vehicle pissing match with ya, bud.

There is no way that they print something on every brochure that isn't true.

It's impressive, but not really out of whack considering how many vehicles they have made in that time span.

Go to California and drive on the 101 for an hour...you will see lots of Toyotas that are from the 70s, 80s and 90s still being used as work trucks.

Lots of them.

I have no doubts that what they print on every pamphlet is true...if it weren't, couldn't they get taken to cort or something?

True is the wrong word, you are right. But data is manipulated to the presented intent all the time. You have nothing showing that 80% is higher than other makes. 77% of statistics are made up on the spot.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-17-2012, 11:12 AM

I'll let someone else discuss the merits (or lack therof) of extended warranties with you.

Radar Chief
02-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Ad Copy. Auto companies make a lot of claims.

An eskimo was having troubles with his snow mobile so he dropped it off at the snow mobile repair shop and went into town to do some shopping.
The snow mobile mechanic saw him returning so he went outside to report what he had found and walked up to the eskimo shaking his head saying, "I hate to tell you this but it looks like you blew a seal." To which the eskimo immediately replied, "Oh no, that's just snow in my mustache."

MIAdragon
02-17-2012, 11:14 AM

but on every Chevrolet brochure it says "quality number one!"

Saul Good
02-17-2012, 11:18 AM
If you want to know who makes better cars, get on cars.com and compare the used car prices for vehicles that were the same price originally.

People can say whatever they want. Watch where their money goes if you want the whole story. Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas hold their value like no-one else.

(I just bought a new vehicle yesterday, BTW, and 2 in the last 2 months. I'm done with car shopping for a LONG time.)

BossChief
02-17-2012, 11:28 AM
I'll let someone else discuss the merits (or lack therof) of extended warranties with you.

I used to never buy the things because they are usually handled by third party companies. Not for cars or anything else, for that matter.

Nissans' aren't. Their warranties are handled by the same division that handles their factory warranties.

When he told me that (I have known the sales person/finance manager for over 10 years and this was the first time I did business with him....he cut the profit out of the warranty, too) I was willing to shell out 1800 for it.

That's a long period for a bumper to bumper warranty.

BossChief
02-17-2012, 11:35 AM
If you want to know who makes better cars, get on cars.com and compare the used car prices for vehicles that were the same price originally.

People can say whatever they want. Watch where their money goes if you want the whole story. Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas hold their value like no-one else.

(I just bought a new vehicle yesterday, BTW, and 2 in the last 2 months. I'm done with car shopping for a LONG time.)

Exactly!

You want a 5 or 6 year old chevy car, or other brands like Kia or Hyundai, dirt cheap.

Try to find a 5 year old used Tacoma or Camry and it's gonna cost almost the same price as a brand new one.

Hyundai is doing a good job of trying to downplay that in their marketing by giving you a guaranteed amount they will give you on a trade in, BUT ONLY ON ANOTHER BRAND NEW HYUNDAI.

if you put a Toyota or Nissan in the paper for blue book value, it will be sold within a week because people don't get rid of them.

HemiEd
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
I think he should buy whatever it is that gives him good value for his money. Doesn't look like that's a Grand Am based on several different sources. What American made products are actually dependable in the $5000 & 100k miles
ballpark?

Any car, including the rice burners, are going to be hitting high replacement cost parts about that time. Not counting engines or transmissions, but starters, alternators, water pumps, timing belts, cv shafts, to name a few.

And before we go claiming the Jap starters and alternators are better, they are pretty much all foreign. Bosch, Nippendenso, etc. last time I looked.

HemiEd
02-17-2012, 12:17 PM
My Toyota has 266K miles on it and is still a daily driver.

Little brother has over 300k on his 96 Dodge Minivan, it had the trans done at about 1/2 way. We are nothing alike, 70k and I am bored and done with a vehicle.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Bought it.

Good day full of good news. Negotiated an even better price, got a lower interest rate than I expected and maybe best of all... those pesky intake manifold gaskets that caused so much concern... replaced already by the last owner. Hopefully that's good to go for the time I have it now.

Appreciate all the advice and input. You guys helped a lot with knowing what to ask and look for. Mechanic said with regular maintenence these engines will about run forever.

Good to have good wheels again.

Baconeater
02-17-2012, 04:35 PM
ballpark?
Dodge.

Buy two beaters & gradually learn how to work on them
You can keep one running
This isn't a bad strategy.

demonhero
02-17-2012, 05:06 PM
I remember these would have a random "clicking" sound coming from the dashboard. Front Lights are a bitch to install without the tools.

* An 02 model

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:00 PM
If you're buying from Shottenkirk/Shottencrook, i'd be wary.

Most of the bigger dealers can usually beat KBB price easily, if i were you i'd work'em over on the bottom line a bit more, then have your mechanic buddy give it a good once over & definitely ask for an Auto Check, not CARFAX... if that all pans out, buy it.

Like I said in the OP the advertising director for the chain is an old friend of mine. I used to handle their radio advertising for this market... plus I worked there for a while when I took a "break" from radio. I know several of the salesmen, 3 of the sales managers out of 4, the general manger and Greg Shottenkirk. I called in a favor I guess you could say... and like I said a few posts back I bought it today.

:)

Got it for 2k under kbb, had a trade and put $1000 down... so I'm good with the deal. And Shottenkirk does Carfax for every used car on their own without asking... in fact you have to look it over and sign it for your file. Never been in an accident and the main problem area was fixed 20k miles ago.

The reason for the thread was to get opinions on the make/model mostly.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Dodge.

No offense but I don't like Dodge. Seems everyone I've known who drives them has more than their fair share of issues... transmission problems persist with ones I've been familiar with. Don't like they way the feel particularly either. To each their own though... I know a lot of people love them.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:05 PM
I remember these would have a random "clicking" sound coming from the dashboard. Front Lights are a bitch to install without the tools.

* An 02 model

This one has that... it's tied into the blinker they say... and they're fixing it as part of my deal.

Phobia
02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Do yourself a favor and key a couple tow driver's numbers into your phone.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Do yourself a favor and key a couple tow driver's numbers into your phone.

K thanks. My mechanic Mark will work for that and his number's in there.

Phobia
02-17-2012, 08:16 PM
K thanks. My mechanic Mark will work for that and his number's in there.

Heh. I play softball with a bunch of tow guys. They're a crazy bunch. I've never needed a tow but I'll bet I could get hooked up if I needed it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Heh. I play softball with a bunch of tow guys. They're a crazy bunch. I've never needed a tow but I'll bet I could get hooked up if I needed it.

It's good to know some people.

MIAdragon
02-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Congrats beer, enjoy it

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Congrats beer, enjoy it

Thanks!

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I paid just over $5K for the 2000 Grand Prix GPX 3.8L that I helped my HS sophomore buy last month. It's one-owner, no-accident and 120K miles. Given the crazy post-Obama-cash-for-clunkers debacle....I feel pretty good so far. It's been well maintained and cared-for. The leather seats had one issue, and operational/ engine/ drive-train checked out "very nice" from my Mechanic. Otherwise, it's nicer in most ways than the 2002 Civic I'm driving...though my gas mileage kicks ass.

The 3.8L V6 is a solid little engine. It's a cast iron block, unlike the 3.1L and the 3.4L V6 engines which are aluminum blocks.

GM has been making the 3.8 for years and years, it's kinda like there 5.7L V8 (the venerable 350). It's not a fancy engine, pretty old technology, but it's pretty bullet proof and cheap to fix.

If I can find an old GM with the 3.8L V6 as apposed to one of the aluminum block V6's it's worth a good long look.

GM has fased out the 3.8, they have finally moved on from it.

lewdog
02-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Pick me up and lets head to 7-eleven for a slurpee.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Pick me up and lets head to 7-eleven for a slurpee.

OK go stand outside and wait.....

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Bought it.

Good day full of good news. Negotiated an even better price, got a lower interest rate than I expected and maybe best of all... those pesky intake manifold gaskets that caused so much concern... replaced already by the last owner. Hopefully that's good to go for the time I have it now.

Appreciate all the advice and input. You guys helped a lot with knowing what to ask and look for. Mechanic said with regular maintenence these engines will about run forever.

Good to have good wheels again.

Just don't over heat that engine, change the oil regularly (religously), DO NOT use dexcron/orange crap as the coolant and fix things when they break, for example, cv joints, alternators, fuel pump, etc.

When you buy a used car, unless you personally knew the previous owner(s), you simply cannot assume they took care of the car. You are probably the 3rd or 4th owner of this car. Let's assume you are the 3rd owner. This means that the first owner probably took care of the car because it was brand new (or not, maybe this car was bought for his teenage daughter who never took car of it). Then it got to the second owner who may or may not have given a crap about the car.

Now it's yours, good luck!

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Just don't over heat that engine, change the oil regularly (religously), DO NOT use dexcron/orange crap as the coolant and fix things when they break, for example, cv joints, alternators, fuel pump, etc.

When you buy a used car, unless you personally knew the previous owner(s), you simply cannot assume they took care of the car. You are probably the 3rd or 4th owner of this car. Let's assume you are the 3rd owner. This means that the first owner probably took care of the car because it was brand new (or not, maybe this car was bought for his teenage daughter who never took car of it). Then it got to the second owner who may or may not have given a crap about the car.

Now it's yours, good luck!

All the maintainence will be done, no worries. Already had the talk about the Dexcron today with mechanic when he looked it over. I'm the 3rd owner and don't know the last personally but know who they are... rich family that owns a grocery store chain here. Saw the carfax which listed every oil change and maintenance visit that was done since it was new which I thought was really cool... I didn't know they listed all that. It's been maintained religiously all the way back to being bought new in Ohio.

I feel good about it... thanks for the word of advice!

BigMeatballDave
02-17-2012, 08:53 PM
All the maintainence will be done, no worries. Already had the talk about the Dexcron today with mechanic when he looked it over. I'm the 3rd owner and don't know the last personally but know who they are... rich family that owns a grocery store chain here. Saw the carfax which listed every oil change and maintenance visit that was done since it was new which I thought was really cool... I didn't know they listed all that. It's been maintained religiously all the way back to being bought new in Ohio.

I was the original owner.

I beat the hell outta that thing...

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-17-2012, 08:55 PM
I was the original owner.

I beat the hell outta that thing...

LMAO

Ok fine I'm screwed... that's what folks want to hear anyway right? Heh.

Al Bundy
02-17-2012, 09:19 PM

I fucked my ex in the backseat of it...

you're welcome.

lewdog
02-17-2012, 09:24 PM
OK go stand outside and wait.....

Not sure if serious........:hmmm:

Congrats though! Nothing beat a car that is fun to drive.

Chazno
02-17-2012, 10:20 PM
I've owned a 01 grand am since new, replaced the head gasket at 70k. I ditched dexcool when it was replaced and have been okay to 107k. Sister in law kept dexcool and replaced the head gasket 2x before 100k. Good luck.