PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Okay, I Gotta Brag....A Little

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I know most won't care, and I understand....

UPDATE (3/03/2014: ) (If you are not a proud parent and/or wrestling fan—you won’t care....)

My, how time flies. I posted this initially, as my oldest boy had made his first state wrestling tournament as a sophomore two years ago, with a 29-16 record. I was very proud of him, especially since he had started wrestling “late” (by standards these days) in 7th grade. That year ended with a thud, as he was 0-2 at state, and done—due to stage-fright really. Last year as a junior, he finished the regular season 35-14 and won a match at state, before losing his next two—in no small part due to a really tough draw.

Long story short: he ended his year this year by placing 3rd at the state tournament (a 36 team class,) finishing 47-4. He had 3 losses coming into the state tournament, and avenged each of them at the state tournament—when it really counted. What's the saying, "Revenge: a dish best served cold...or at state!"

He lost in the semi-finals to the eventual state champion, who happens to be 6’7” and 275 lbs. My kid is 6’2” and 240 lbs, and his opponent made my boy look small. He also had three wins over the second place finisher, who had the good fortune of coming through the weak side of the bracket. I couldn’t be prouder.

On a side-note, he also set new school records for wins, pins, and team points in a season, at one of the largest high schools in the state. We also think, but are checking, that he also broke state record for pins in a season with 38. Better than any of that, he a good kid, who will graduate with a 3.7-ish GPA taking advanced and AP curriculum. He’s made good choices, has great friends, and despite normal behavior and rivalries with his three siblings has been a joy to parent. I know I’m biased, but he will make one fine “catch” for some happy and lucky young lady someday.

ORIGINAL Post....below:

My 6'2 240 lb sophomore son is nearing the end of his 4th year wrestling...and tonight in the State Region Wrestling Tournament, he upset the 4th and the 1st place "seeds" to earn a spot in the Region II State championship match tomorrow, and an automatic spot in the State Tournament next week. He just didn't win...he pinned both of them. He's continued to improve (all that I encourage,) and is 15-3 in his last 18 matches. I'm so proud.

That is all. Nice job, son. :)

:toast:

Mr. Flopnuts
02-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Big ole corn fed boy. Congrats!

RJ
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
You damn straight should be proud. Good luck to your boy in the tournament.

Douche Baggins
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Was he wearing a hat?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Having wrestled almost all throughout school (9 years) I know first-hand the work wrestlers put in to get to the point your son has reached.

Congrats to the both of you.

Gonzo
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Good for you man, that's a hell of an accomplishment.
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyChuckles
That's a lot of state tournaments for one state.

Simplicity
Well... To calm yourself a little bit... I am friends with two that are currently at State... One at 126 won his first match at state today and the other at 220 lost his first but then won his wrestle back so both will be moving on. State Tourny in Iowa, correct?

Chocolate Hog
02-16-2012, 09:35 PM

But, my 6'2 240 lb sophomore son is nearing the end of his 4th year wrestling...and tonight in the State Region Wrestling Tournament, he upset the 4th and the 1st place "seeds" to earn a spot in the Region II State championship match tomorrow, and an automatic spot in the State Tournament next week. He just didn't win...he pinned both of them. I'm so proud.

He should be playing football and when he makes it to the league remember you and I were friends on Chiefsplanet.

Phobia
02-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Well... To calm yourself a little bit... I am friends with two that are currently at State... One at 126 won his first match at state today and the other at 220 lost his first but then won his wrestle back so both will be moving on. State Tourny in Iowa, correct?

Iowa is not the only state with wrestling tournaments going on right now.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-16-2012, 09:36 PM
That's awesome Kotter. Go Kotters kid!

Simplicity
02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
:clap:
I was wondering if he lives in IOWA...

EDIT: Obviously there are other State tournys going on right now... duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh derp...

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2012, 09:39 PM
That's a lot of state tournaments for one state.

There are only TWO classes for wrestling in our state... :shrug:

mnchiefsguy
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM

But, my 6'2 240 lb sophomore son is nearing the end of his 4th year wrestling...and tonight in the State Region Wrestling Tournament, he upset the 4th and the 1st place "seeds" to earn a spot in the Region II State championship match tomorrow, and an automatic spot in the State Tournament next week. He just didn't win...he pinned both of them. He's continued to improve (all that I encourage,) and is 15-3 in his last 18 matches. I'm so proud.

Awesome! Best of luck to him in the next round and in the State Tourney!

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2012, 09:43 PM
He should be playing football and when he makes it to the league remember you and I were friends on Chiefsplanet.

He started 9 of 12 games as a soph last year on our varsity D-Line. Eh, I'm afraid he may be done "growing"..maybe another inch or so. While Saturday football on some level may be in his future, I'm not holding my breath for Sunday football. I'm just hoping for some help for him to attend college at this point. With his GPA and likely ACT, he may be able to relieve us of some of that burden. Of course, one injury could change that. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Was he wearing a hat?

Nope. His head is too big for most hats. 7 7/8 plus. He asked if I was gonna tell "ChiefsPlanet" though... I responded, "What do you think..duh?"

LiveSteam
02-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Congrats proud poppa

WhiteWhale
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Yet nobody brags when their kids get a 4.0 or anything like that.

Otter
02-16-2012, 10:03 PM
You're lucky he looks like the wife and not you! :D

I keed, keed, seriously, congrats Kotter to both you and the lad.

Phobia
02-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Congrats. Is this the kid that is in my fan-club?

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2012, 10:11 PM
You're lucky he looks like the wife and not you! :D

I keed, keed, seriously, congrats Kotter to both you and the lad.

Thanks, Otter. I know we don't always agree (politically,) but I appreciate it.

Congrats. Is this the kid that is in my fan-club?

Thanks. Yeppers. He still asks...."when are we gonna see that guy who loved pumpkin pie during the Thanksgiving Day Bronco game a few years back?"

I said, "Depends on YOUR schedule...," which is why we have missed some games the past couple of years. Heh.

Raiderhater58
02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Thats awesome!!

Bowser
02-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Congrats, Rob. Feels great to root your kids on at sports, and to have them excel, doesn't it?

go bowe
02-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Nope. His head is too big for most hats. 7 7/8 plus. He asked if I was gonna tell "ChiefsPlanet" though... I responded, "What do you think..duh?"

is he phil's love child?

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Congrats, Rob. Feels great to root your kids on at sports, and to have them excel, doesn't it?

Three weeks ago....he wanted to quit; I said, "hang in there; keep working hard." Tonight was the pay-off. It feels great; he turned the corner. Very cool.

is he phil's love child?

Eh, could be; but I also have a 7 5/8 head...heh.

go bowe
02-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Three weeks ago....he wanted to quit; I said, "hang in there; keep working hard." Tonight was the pay-off. It feels great; he turned the corner. Very cool.

your son's accomplishments should be a source of pride, congratulations to you both! :toast:

i didn't know your head was so big, it looked normal the last time i saw it... :shrug:

aturnis
02-16-2012, 11:21 PM

But, my 6'2 240 lb sophomore son is nearing the end of his 4th year wrestling...and tonight in the State Region Wrestling Tournament, he upset the 4th and the 1st place "seeds" to earn a spot in the Region II State championship match tomorrow, and an automatic spot in the State Tournament next week. He just didn't win...he pinned both of them. He's continued to improve (all that I encourage,) and is 15-3 in his last 18 matches. I'm so proud.

Congratulations! Very cool deal. Hope he does well. Good luck!

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2012, 11:48 PM
your son's accomplishments should be a source of pride, congratulations to you both! :toast:

i didn't know your head was so big, it looked normal the last time i saw it... :shrug:Thanks, John. He's a good kid. A great kid most days.

Yeah, but I'm a 7 5/8 head--I swear; guessing he's close to done "growing" though.

Sorter
02-17-2012, 02:04 AM

Iowa doesn't even come close to having the best HS wrestling. PA, Ohio, NJ, and Cali are all way above Iowa. Hell, I'd even put Minny and NY over Iowa in terms of HS wrestling. They're pretty solid collegiality, but they won't be winning a NCAA title this year. Penn St., OK St, Cornell, Ohio St., and Iowa round out my top 5 d1 teams with Minny in the mix from 3-6.

Fruit Ninja
02-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Congratz, My nephew just got into wrestling. He's in middle schoool. He joined the team had a match 2 days later and won his first match. He told me, i had no idea what iw as doing. haha Said it was fun but tiring.

big nasty kcnut
02-17-2012, 02:39 AM
what state he's in? Also washington wrestling pretty good vision quest was filmed there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Phobia
02-17-2012, 02:44 AM
My head isn't even that big.

Chief Henry
02-17-2012, 05:25 AM

that is great news.....post some pics when he gets a medal at state....Very Happy for you. Your son knows the value of hard work and dedication.

dmahurin
02-17-2012, 05:26 AM
what state he's in? Also washington wrestling pretty good vision quest was filmed there.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have no problem with you, but God damn man, my first grader can formulate a better thought out and more grammatically correct sentence.

bevischief
02-17-2012, 06:40 AM
Congrats!!

Just be sure he doesn't ask for a piggy back ride...

Mr_Tomahawk
02-17-2012, 06:48 AM
I have no problem with you, but God damn man, my first grader can formulate a better thought out and more grammatically correct sentence.

You leave Nut alone!

ForeverChiefs58
02-17-2012, 07:01 AM

Congrats. That is a pretty big deal, and very cool for both of you. I can tell you are a proud papa. Good luck to him!

Dayze
02-17-2012, 07:49 AM
good luck!

"I could take him".../CP

burt
02-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Congrats.....15-3 is awesome!

KC Tattoo
02-17-2012, 08:47 AM
:thumb: Awesome! Good for him & You Dad.

When he is done with wrestling have him try out for the Chiefs maybe as a FB or TE. Shouldn't be hard for him to get a job, but be sure to have him pick up candy wrappers to get the experience to work for Pioli.

Chiefshrink
02-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Parenting is 'THE' hardest job in the world when you are doing it right. Always trying to maintain that balancing act of fun loving caring father,disciplinarian,teacher and most importantly the example you set with your actions and the words that come out of your mouth knowing your son watches and mimics everything you say and do. Because in his mind you are next to God for him(although he may never let on that he does because you know he is a teen). Feeding his spirit yet taming his will in the right direction is very difficult when you are doing it right, but damn well worth it. Yes there are those days when you question yourself as a parent and wonder if your kids will ever get it but they eventually do when you keep doing the hard work.

But you are next to God for him. The reason I know this is because for him to be a wrestler for 4yrs that requires so much dedication and commitment regardless of talent is a feat in and of itself. But to steadily improve each yr to the point where he has now knocked off the 4th and 1st seeds to advance to the Finals say's a ton about his character and integrity that YOU have been instilling in him everyday since birth.

The Good Book say's that our children when raised right are like razor sharp arrows in our quiver. Kotter my man, your son is that razor sharp arrow that you have pulled out of your family quiver that you have shot into the world that not only will make a significant mark in wrestling but more importantly hit the bullseye in LIFE.

Congrats to your son !

Yes we have our political differences as Otter stated earlier but I :toast: you Kotter for doing the hardest job in the world the right way !!

You well deserve to be Da'MAN:thumb:

Rain Man
02-17-2012, 10:09 AM
When you're old he'll be able to move you from the chair to the bed pretty easily. That's important.

loochy
02-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Your son should start wearing a red and black mask and set people on fire. He should get some kind of badass entrance music too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IMz8LiI4A2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Congrats to your son. :thumb:

BTW, Does he know how fearful you are of men who like the hot, sweaty embrace of other men?

Mr. Kotter
02-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Congrats.....15-3 is awesome!

He's 29-14 on the year, after starting 14-11. So, yeah, he's wrestling well at the right time.

Congrats to your son. :thumb:

BTW, Does he know how fearful you are of men who like the hot, sweaty embrace of other men?

Thanks, patty. FTR though, it's not about fear. If dudes are gonna be grappling it just strikes some of us as unnatural and icky UNLESS you are attempting to defeat him in an athletic arena. Just sayin'. Heh.

Mr. Plow
02-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Congrats & good luck to him at State.

WV
02-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Awesome!

Iowanian
02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Congratulations. That's a great accomplishment....even in South Dakota....

A girl has won 2 competitive matches at state for the first time in history and is guaranteed at least an 8th place finish at state. That's a really big deal in Iowa. I think she'll place 5-6 is my guess. she's tough as hell.

Mr. Kotter
02-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Region Finals tonight....not as exhilarating news as last night. My son had to settle for second, but all-in-all a great experience for him. The other kid was an absolute stud--technical expertise, strong, tough, and quick. The whole package. He was the number two seed, but had wrestled most of the season against other classes where he built up a very impressive record...but didn't wrestle against most of the kids we've seen all year. He is definitely the real deal. His school just "moved up" to the top class...but given what we saw tonight, he'll compete for a high place next weekend with the big boys.

Regardless, the state tourney next week will be a great experience for my boy. With two more shots....he'll have an opportunity to build on whatever he's able to accomplish next week. The goal is to keep getting better. If he does that, he'll make a run during the next two years.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. :toast:

Congratulations. That's a great accomplishment....even in South Dakota....

A girl has won 2 competitive matches at state for the first time in history and is guaranteed at least an 8th place finish at state. That's a really big deal in Iowa. I think she'll place 5-6 is my guess. she's tough as hell.

I know, SD ain't Iowa....but we actually seem to place quite a few college wrestlers in upper Midwest college ranks. Not bad for a small state like SD.

Yeah, the girl wrestler thing is still hard to get use to....but when there as tough as the gal you've described sounds, you gotta tip your hat.

La literatura
02-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Congrats to him and your family. Great times.

Good luck to him at State.

Mr. Kotter
02-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Congrats to him and your family. Great times.

Good luck to him at State.

I'm bribing him for the State Tournament...2 wins, he erases some minor debt he has with us; a third win...he'll earn a "surprise" extra that I won't yet define. Heh.

LocoChiefsFan
02-18-2012, 10:42 PM
My son wrestles as well. He's 9 yrs old and started when he was 6. Kind of exciting here. Our boys just won the class 2 State title. We had 4 make it to the finals. 3 picked up individual state titles. All winning by pin. The 4th lost and got 2nd in state. He is just a freshman. Good luck to your son in the future!!

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2014, 09:39 AM
Bump for the "Update"

Mr. Flopnuts
03-03-2014, 09:44 AM

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2014, 09:50 AM

Thanks, Flop.

Mr. Plow
03-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Congrats to your son. Sounds like he had a great season. Any college wrestling in the future?

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Congrats to your son. Sounds like he had a great season. Any college wrestling in the future?

Probably not. He's thinking Engineering, or some technical major, that would create severe time-management trade-offs. He knows the sport well enough to understand the commitment that it would require, and seems mature enough to acknowledge that. After 6-7 years as a three sport athlete, I think he's ready to move-on.

That, or he intends to spend more time on friends, girls, and fun. Which I can see too...heh.

Mr. Plow
03-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Probably not. He's thinking Engineering, or some technical major, that would create severe time-management trade-offs. He knows the sport well enough to understand the commitment that it would require, and seems mature enough to acknowledge that. After 6-7 years as a three sport athlete, I think he's ready to move-on.

That, or he intends to spend more time on friends, girls, and fun. Which I can see too...heh.

Nice. Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders as well.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks, Flop.

I just had to give the same response I did the first time for old time's sake. Fact is, listening to the breakdown to that young man's progression is a testament to the spirit of hard work, and his 3rd in state finish is the satisfaction of the payoff. Classic tale involving the blueprint to success. Lots of hard work, no instant gratification, yet much more satisfaction came out of watching it all come together I'm sure. You have every right to be proud. Now don't be cheap. Go buy the young man a vehicle with some of that tuition money he's saved you. I'm sure with that GPA, and that finish, he's got college scholarships lining up. ;)

jonzie04
03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Congrats, one of my good friends wrestled at mizzou, came from Iowa. lots of good wrestlers out of that state. making state there is a VERY nice accomplishment!

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2014, 12:04 PM
... Now don't be cheap. Go buy the young man a vehicle with some of that tuition money he's saved you... ;)

That sounds like something HE would say. Heh. He must have PM'd you or something.... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Congrats, one of my good friends wrestled at mizzou, came from Iowa. lots of good wrestlers out of that state. making state there is a VERY nice accomplishment!

Yeah, SD ain't quite Iowa--but actually a lot better than some of the larger states. At least, they have fared well in some of the national AAU meets before the kids start into the High Schools.

Dallas Chief
03-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Congrats Kotter that is awesome stuff!!!

BigRedChief
03-03-2014, 05:22 PM

That, or he intends to spend more time on friends, girls, and fun. Which I can see too...heh.Congrats on the great season. Way cool year! I think more kids are making the decision to pursue higher level academics instead of sports.

My son gave up football. He was 6'4" 250 as a senior in high school. But he knew he didn't want to play football in college because of the commitment needed. He decided to concentrate on academics. It would be really cool to watch your son compete at a higher level but it's also cool to use your brain to the best of your ability.

burt
03-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Hell, Kotter, I woulda bragged a lot....

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Congrats on the great season. Way cool year! I think more kids are making the decision to pursue higher level academics instead of sports....

I think you are right. Unless you are ELITE, Division I....full-ride kinda guy, I don't know if it's really worth the sacrifice. He had some Division II "interest" from some regional teams in football, and has a few asking about his wrestling plans. He has basically said, "Thanks, but no thanks. I can't make the sort of commitment I think you want and need." To me, that's even more reason for me to be proud of the young man.

Hell, Kotter, I woulda bragged a lot....

I ain't gonna lie; I've been tempted...

Fairplay
03-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Raising your own child is a failure/Amnorix

patteeu
03-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Congratulations to Kotter, Jr. It's great to see kids achieve a goal after working hard.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Congratulations to Kotter, Jr. It's great to see kids achieve a goal after working hard.

Thanks, patty. I guess.

Raising your own child is a failure/Amnorix

:spock:

THAT does not sound like Amnorix....really.... :harumph:

Dave Lane
03-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Congrats to your son Kotter!!!

A million years ago when dinosaurs ruled the earth I did well at state but not that kind of record

Congrats!!

Simply Red
03-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Good on you Kotter - we're all proud that you're such a great father w/ the leadership of a warrior.

Congrats.

Mr. Kotter
03-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Good on you Kotter - we're all proud that you're such a great father w/ the leadership of a warrior.

Congrats.

Ironic choice of words...mascot is Warriors. :)

theelusiveeightrop
03-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Congrats to all!

htismaqe
03-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Great read.

My nephew is a 7th grader this year. He wrestles AAU. He dominated most of the year but struggled at sub-state. He still managed to qualify but got beat soundly at state.

I will pass this along to encourage him.

Mr. Kotter
03-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Great read.

My nephew is a 7th grader this year. He wrestles AAU. He dominated most of the year but struggled at sub-state. He still managed to qualify but got beat soundly at state.

I will pass this along to encourage him.

That is probably the thing I most admire with him in all this--perseverance and continued hard work, despite setbacks. As a parent that is very rewarding to see.

BigRedChief
03-04-2014, 03:48 PM
I think you are right. Unless you are ELITE, Division I....full-ride kinda guy, I don't know if it's really worth the sacrifice. He had some Division II "interest" from some regional teams in football, and has a few asking about his wrestling plans. He has basically said, "Thanks, but no thanks. I can't make the sort of commitment I think you want and need." To me, that's even more reason for me to be proud of the young man.I ain't gonna lie; I've been tempted... The last year he played football 22 players on his High School team got football scholarships. What made it a dumb decision for us at the time was he could have made Div1 with his best effort and his grades sucked due to a lack of effort. But he made the Presidents honor list last academic semester so I guess he is trying now.:)

I should have supported his desire to pursue academics right from the start. For those who are reading this thread and their son/nephew/brother are thinking of giving up sports, let them follow their passion, even if they have the talent in the sport to be successful. It's not that unusual anymore.

BIG_DADDY
03-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Pretty awesome

Simply Red
03-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Ironic choice of words...mascot is Warriors. :)

ha, nice.