PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Greatest SNL Cast Member Round 1 Heat 1

whoman69
02-17-2012, 12:55 PM
This poll will decide eventually who is the greatest SNL cast member. To qualify the player must have either been a not ready for primetime player, featured player more than three seasons or on the evening news. There were 95 members that fit this criteria. The poll may take awhile to get up as it will be quite long for the first round. Choose 10.

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Bill Murray

Predarat
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
NB4 da |

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 12:58 PM
WHERE'S THE POLL?

bevischief
02-17-2012, 12:59 PM
In before poll...

DaKCMan AP
Chris Farley, John Belushi, and Horatio Sanz make up the All-Fat team.

RockChalk
Ferrel, Sandler, Carvey for me

gblowfish
02-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Let's just all agree it's one of these guys and move on:
John Belushi
Bill Murray
Eddie Murphy
Phil Hartman
Will Ferrell

Dartgod
02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
John Belushi
Bill Murray
Eddie Murphy
Phil Hartman
Will Ferrell

Dan Akroyd is not happy with this post.

Nickel D
02-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Denny F&$@'n WHO??!?

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Dan Akroyd is not happy with this post.

Nor is Chris Farley.

whoman69
02-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Denny F&$@'n WHO??!?

There will probably be a lot of that in the first round. She was one of the cast that replaced the original cast, most of whom were very forgettable.

BourbonMan
02-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Here is a complete list of the cast...you left off some very important people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Live_cast_members

whoman69
02-17-2012, 01:08 PM

Its only the first round dipstick.

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 01:08 PM

This is only the first round. I thought the same thing you did though.

OP sucks at thread titles for polls.

listopencil
02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Dan Aykroyd
Eddie Murphy
John Belushi
Bill Murray
Chris Farley
Tracey Morgan

Then you have to start looking at people who contributed so much behind the scenes like

Al Franken
Tina Fey

...it's a huge list

gblowfish
02-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Farley was just a paler, fatter imitation of Belushi. Akroyd was OK, Belushi was better and more versatile in that era. Hartman was the best impressionist, followed by Darrell Hammond. Only current cast member that even deserves a mention is Bill Hader.

listopencil
02-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Farley was just a paler, fatter imitation of Belushi. Akroyd was OK, Belushi was better and more versatile in that era. Hartman was the best impressionist, followed by Darrell Hammond. Only current cast member that even deserves a mention is Bill Hader.

Aykroyd and Belushi had two completely different styles. Aykroyd could sell any joke where Belushi was a great at physical comedy. I'd rank Aykroyd and Murphy over Belushi.

Sofa King
02-17-2012, 01:51 PM
No mention of Steve Martin either?

Huffmeister
02-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Only current cast member that even deserves a mention is Bill Hader.

Fred Armisen is way underrated. Not saying he's the greatest of all time, but the guy is funny with a ton of range.

Bill Hader is great, too. I love his Al Pacino and Peter O'Toole impressions.

gblowfish
02-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Steve Martin was a frequent host and guest, but never a cast member.
Armisen annoys me. His Obama is OK, but beyond that....
Kristin Wiig annoys me too. She ruins lots of skits and does stupid bits on Weekend Update. Seth Meyers is OK as the news anchor, reminds me of Kevin Nealon. Andy Samberg is OK, but seems to only want to do short films with his pals now.

Micjones
02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Eddie Murphy. End of discussion.

Omaha
02-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Norm McDonald?

whoman69
02-17-2012, 02:50 PM
No mention of Steve Martin either?

Steve Martin was a host only.

Rain Man
02-17-2012, 02:53 PM
It was hard to pick ten from this list, and frankly there were several I'd never heard of. In descending order, my ten are:

Dana Carvey - Easy #1. Very good.
John Belushi - Clear #2. Very good.
A. Whitney Brown - Underrated for his speeches. I liked this guy.
Billy Crystal - Don't remember him on SNL, but suspect he would be good.
Fred Armisen - Pretty funny. I like him.
Joan Cusack - Oh, who am I kidding? I picked her because she's cute.
Dan Aykroyd - Meh. Okay.
Jane Curtain - Meh.
Robin Duke - Barely makes the list as a filler.
Brian Doyle Murray - Reminds me a little bit of Bill Murray, so he gets a vote.

whoman69
02-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Brian is Bill's brother and more of a straight man. Does a lot of voice over work now.

You don't remember Fernando?

http://cdn.overclock.net/a/ab/abdeabb2_ht_billy_crystal_snl-100923_ssh.jpeg

cardken
02-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Phil Hartman the most talented SNL cast member ever.

oldman
02-17-2012, 03:30 PM
John Belushi, hands down. Chevy, Aykroyd, and Jane merit some consideration, but it this heat, all I really needed was one vote.

listopencil
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
It was hard to pick ten from this list, and frankly there were several I'd never heard of. In descending order, my ten are:

Dana Carvey - Easy #1. Very good.
John Belushi - Clear #2. Very good.
A. Whitney Brown - Underrated for his speeches. I liked this guy.
Fred Armisen - Pretty funny. I like him.
Joan Cusack - Oh, who am I kidding? I picked her because she's cute.
Dan Aykroyd - Meh. Okay.
Jane Curtain - Meh.
Robin Duke - Barely makes the list as a filler.

Rain Man, you ignorant slut.

redhed
02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Belushi? Akroyd? Belushi. (from this list)

Otherwise, gotta be Eddie .

kysirsoze
02-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Will Forte is one of the best recent cast members. Best since Ferrell, IMO.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2012, 04:29 PM
John Belushi
Bill Murray
Eddie Murphy
Phil Hartman
Will Ferrell

Yes this, but you left out Adam Sandler

redhed
02-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Mods, I fucked up my vote on this one, and voted only for Belushi. Possible to redo?

whoman69
02-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Looks like we have a consensus top six so far in
Aykroyd
John Belushi
Carvey
Chase
Crystal
Curtin

Other 4 spots are open. Continue voting as vote tallies will be used to seed them for the 2nd round and determine those who go into the 2nd chance round.

DJJasonp
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm old enough to have experienced John Belushi and Farley.......sorry old timers, Farley was better that Belushi.

Chippendales skit trumps anything Belushi did. Hands down.

Crystal on SNL was outstanding. Lamas....Sammy Davis Jr....Joe Franklin show....the Minkmans skit (novelty toy manufacturer).

RJ
02-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Bill Murray.

You're welcome.

Pioli Zombie
02-18-2012, 06:53 AM
Only six legit contenders in this heat. Ackroyd, John Beluchi, Chase,Carvey,Crystal, and Jane Curtin

BoneKrusher
02-18-2012, 07:05 AM
Farley was better that Belushi.

yep

whoman69
02-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Calling this one. Moving on are:

Dan Aykroyd
John Belushi
Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Billy Crystal
Jane Curtin
Jim Belushi
Fred Armisen
Robert Downey Jr.
Ratchel Dratch

whoman69
02-18-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm old enough to have experienced John Belushi and Farley.......sorry old timers, Farley was better that Belushi.

Chippendales skit trumps anything Belushi did. Hands down.

Crystal on SNL was outstanding. Lamas....Sammy Davis Jr....Joe Franklin show....the Minkmans skit (novelty toy manufacturer).

Can't agree at all. Samauri Night Fever, Joe Cocker, Blues Brothers, Star Trek cancellation.

Mosbonian
02-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Calling this one. Moving on are:

John Belushi
Dana Carvey
Chevy Chase
Billy Crystal
Jane Curtin
Jim Belushi
Fred Armisen
Robert Downey Jr.
Ratchel Dratch

Did I miss something> Akroyd got more votes than several of these and not moving on? Unless of course my sarcasm meter is turned off....

And just as a comment.....if not for Akroyd/Curtin pretty much setting the bar for Saturday Night Live News segments and their Point/CounterPoint satires the rest would have been hacks.

gblowfish
02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm old enough to have experienced John Belushi and Farley.......sorry old timers, Farley was better that Belushi..

The Chippendale skit and Matt Foley (living in a van down by the river) were the only outstanding skits Farley did.

Belushi did the Samurai, Joe Cocker, Brando, Liz Taylor eating chicken, Beethoven as Ray Charles, Chee-burger Chee-burger Chee-burger, Jake Blues, Capt. Kirk, and the dancing in the graveyard skit "Don't Look Back in Anger."

Not even close.

whoman69
02-18-2012, 08:25 AM
Did I miss something> Akroyd got more votes than several of these and not moving on? Unless of course my sarcasm meter is turned off....

And just as a comment.....if not for Akroyd/Curtin pretty much setting the bar for Saturday Night Live News segments and their Point/CounterPoint satires the rest would have been hacks.

My bad, I fix. Damn copy/paste.

Mosbonian
02-18-2012, 08:31 AM
The Chippendale skit and Matt Foley (living in a van down by the river) were the only outstanding skits Farley did.

Belushi did the Samurai, Joe Cocker, Brando, Liz Taylor eating chicken, Beethoven as Ray Charles, Chee-burger Chee-burger Chee-burger, Jake Blues, Capt. Kirk, and the dancing in the graveyard skit "Don't Look Back in Anger."

Not even close.

And one that everyone overlooks because it just happened a couple of times. Didn't he also do "The Hulk" in the Super Hero sketches?

Deberg_1990
02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
No Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Michael Hall, Damon Wayans or Jeneane Garafolo?

luv
02-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Where's Steve Martin? And was Richard Pryor on it as well?

Doh. Never mind. This is just Heat 1.

Deberg_1990
02-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Where's Steve Martin? And was Richard Pryor on it as well?

Doh. Never mind. This is just Heat 1.

Those guys were just HOSTS. Never regular cast members. Maybe you should create a Greatest SNL host thread? Tom Hanks should win that.

luv
02-18-2012, 08:54 AM
Those guys were just HOSTS. Never regular cast members. Maybe you should create a Greatest SNL host thread? Tom Hanks should win that.

I thought Richard Pryor may have just been a host. I always thought Steve Martin was a cast member. My bad. And no, I'm not starting any threads about it.

EDIT: I asked dad, and he said Steve Martin was a cast member. He thinks he came in on the second season.

vailpass
02-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Rain Man, you ignorant slut.

:bravo:

vailpass
02-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Can't agree at all. Samauri Night Fever, Joe Cocker, Blues Brothers, Star Trek cancellation.

Not even close.

This the whole thing.

DJJasonp
02-18-2012, 10:19 AM

Not even close.

I'll see those, and raise you:

Gap girls
Da Bears
Japanese Game show
Schillervision hidden camera

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=274092" frameborder="0"></iframe>

gblowfish
02-18-2012, 10:19 AM
I thought Richard Pryor may have just been a host. I always thought Steve Martin was a cast member. My bad. And no, I'm not starting any threads about it.

EDIT: I asked dad, and he said Steve Martin was a cast member. He thinks he came in on the second season.

Your dad is wrong.
Full roster of cast members is here.
Look under "M."
No Steve Martin.
http://snl.jt.org/cast/

tk13
02-18-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't know if I'd put Farley ahead of Belushi, but he definitely did way more than Matt Foley. I always thought the Chris Farley Show skit was hilarious, but I have a warped sense of humor. He did the lunch lady, all the "Da Bears" stuff... and on and on.

gblowfish
02-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I'll see those, and raise you:

Gap girls
Da Bears
Japanese Game show
Schillervision hidden camera

<iframe id="NBC Video Widget" width="512" height="347" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=274092" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Da Bears was good, but he wasn't the only one in that sketch that was good. George Wendt was in that one, along with Mike Meyers.

I'd rank Mike Meyers ahead of Farley as well.