PDA

View Full Version : Economics Uh Oh......Unemployment Numbers not so hot?

HonestChieffan
02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Bugger it all

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ywvibw45ceihmtydrxlxgg-550x327.gif

PRINCETON, NJ — The U.S. unemployment rate, as measured by Gallup without seasonal adjustment, is 9.0% in mid-February, up from 8.6% for January. The mid-month reading normally reflects what the U.S. government reports for the entire month, and is up from 8.3% in mid-January.

Gallup also finds 10.0% of U.S. employees in mid-February are working part time but want full-time work, essentially the same as in January. The mid-February reading means the percentage of Americans who can only find part-time work remains close to its high since Gallup began measuring employment status in January 2010.

Underemployment, a measure that combines the percentage of workers who are unemployed with the percentage working part time but wanting full-time work, is 19.0% in mid-February. This is higher than the 18.7% recorded for January, and is up significantly compared with January’s mid-month reading of 18.1%.

Stewie
02-17-2012, 03:44 PM
If the numbers were calculated like they were pre-1994 it's worse than the depression. Birth/death and hedonics have completely screwed gov't numbers. As Lyndon Johnson said, "Bring me the numbers that I want to see!"

HonestChieffan
02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
If the numbers were calculated like they were pre-1994 it's worse than the depression. Birth/death and hedonics have completely screwed gov't numbers. As Lyndon Johnson said, "Bring me the numbers that I want to see!"

Cue KC Nitwit......

LOCOChief
02-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Cue KC Nitwit......

Please don't.

Chief Henry
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Bugger it all

http://weaselzippers.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/ywvibw45ceihmtydrxlxgg-550x327.gif

PRINCETON, NJ — The U.S. unemployment rate, as measured by Gallup without seasonal adjustment, is 9.0% in mid-February, up from 8.6% for January. The mid-month reading normally reflects what the U.S. government reports for the entire month, and is up from 8.3% in mid-January.

Gallup also finds 10.0% of U.S. employees in mid-February are working part time but want full-time work, essentially the same as in January. The mid-February reading means the percentage of Americans who can only find part-time work remains close to its high since Gallup began measuring employment status in January 2010.

Underemployment, a measure that combines the percentage of workers who are unemployed with the percentage working part time but wanting full-time work, is 19.0% in mid-February. This is higher than the 18.7% recorded for January, and is up significantly compared with January’s mid-month reading of 18.1%.

OOPS

Bewbies
02-17-2012, 04:10 PM
They'll find a way to fix that number to fit the narrative by the end of the month.

KC native
02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Some of you should have paid attention in statistics class. Without seasonally adjusting the data which is highly seasonal this means nothing.

HonestChieffan
02-17-2012, 06:20 PM
Some of you should have paid attention in statistics class. Without seasonally adjusting the data which is highly seasonal this means nothing.

Data over a 24 month period. And you are worried about seasonal adjustments. I suppose in the community post high school but not quite college you went to that would fly.

Dumbass.

Ebolapox
02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
'I inherited this.'

"bush did it"

"hope and change"

that about cover it?

mlyonsd
02-17-2012, 06:33 PM
'I inherited this.'

"bush did it"

"hope and change"

that about cover it?

"Republicans are obstructionists".

You missed one.

KC native
02-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Data over a 24 month period. And you are worried about seasonal adjustments. I suppose in the community post high school but not quite college you went to that would fly.

Dumbass.

where the fuck did I say I was worried? everyone knows capt cut n paste won't understand

KC Dan
02-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Some of you should have paid attention in statistics class. Without seasonally adjusting the data which is highly seasonal this means nothing.While I agree with you in this case, its funny that you say this. My Statistics professor when I was getting my MBA said on the very first day, first thing out of his mouth was:

What do YOU want the numbers to say?

Then he went on to state that the answer to that question will always dictate the methodology employed to skew the outcome to prove your point. True words

patteeu
02-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Newsflash: After seasonal adjustment, the Obama economy still sucks.

Tip of the day: Either send Obama back to his Resko-enhanced home in Chicago this fall or learn how to farm if you want to keep eating.

Saul Good
02-18-2012, 08:26 AM
We need to tell unemployed people that they're okay. They just need to seasonally adjust themselves.

KC native
02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
While I agree with you in this case, its funny that you say this. My Statistics professor when I was getting my MBA said on the very first day, first thing out of his mouth was:

What do YOU want the numbers to say?

Then he went on to state that the answer to that question will always dictate the methodology employed to skew the outcome to prove your point. True words

Yes, you can twist an analysis to say just about whatever you want. However, if we want to draw meaningful inferences about a data series that exhibits strong seasonality, then we have to adjust the data.

ThatRaceCardGuy
02-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Dear "Honest Chiefs Fan" ..god the irony of your name always makes me laugh. What a fool you are . You copy and paste , and copy and paste, but never really have an original thought. Everything you post is "The GOP good and the liberal is evil." Narrow minded individuals like yourself , are the reason why America has gone to shit. You're a zombie, who worships at the alter of your political party, never questioning, only obeying . You only see things in shades or GOP Red. You're no better then the zombie liberals you bitch and moan about... You're brain is on auto pilot..****ing idiot.

patteeu
02-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Dear "Honest Chiefs Fan" ..god the irony of your name always makes me laugh. What a fool you are . You copy and paste , and copy and paste, but never really have an original thought. Everything you post is "The GOP good and the liberal is evil." Narrow minded individuals like yourself , are the reason why America has gone to shit. You're a zombie, who worships at the alter of your political party, never questioning, only obeying . You only see things in shades or GOP Red. You're no better then the zombie liberals you bitch and moan about... You're brain is on auto pilot..****ing idiot.

What do you think about the incentive government is providing for people to avoid striving to get out of poverty as evidenced by this article that HonestChiefFan has brought to our attention?