PDA

View Full Version : Football If not Bowe...how about Mike Wallace?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 08:15 AM
Steelers need to make some moves to make it under the cap...if they don't tag RFA Mike Wallace and we don't resign Bowe. How would you feel about making a move for Wallace?

stonedstooge
02-18-2012, 08:17 AM
Who's going to throw it to him?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 08:19 AM

Silent J.

gblowfish
02-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Mike Wallace is a great interviewer, but he's really really old.

milkman
02-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Mike Wallace is a great interviewer, but he's really really old.

Perfect.

He can't out run Cassel's weak gun.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Anyone know roughly what the franchise tag will be on wr this season?

milkman
02-18-2012, 08:28 AM
Seriously, Wallace is that guy that can stretch the field, if he has a QB that can get him the ball.

He'd be nice complement to Bowe, or Baldwin if he becomes the receiver that we hope he can be.

But I'd rather lock up Bowe.

suds79
02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
If we don't keep Bowe, there's several WRs out there who could be nice replacements.

Sure Wallace would be a nice speed addition.

What we really need is for Baldwin to take a big step up this year. The guy was a 1st rounder after all.

Urc Burry
02-18-2012, 08:33 AM
Wouldn't we have to give up our first seeing how hes a RFA?

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 08:34 AM

That's if he is tagged...I think. :hmmm:

suds79
02-18-2012, 08:34 AM

Didn't know that. Yeah forget any RFAs.

We don't need to give up picks on WR.

notorious
02-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Wallace can get a lot better seperation than Bowe.

We have nobody to throw to him, though.

MoreLemonPledge
02-18-2012, 08:54 AM
He'll be tagged at the first round tender. Some team might pay it, but the Chiefs won't.

Urc Burry
02-18-2012, 09:02 AM
He'll be tagged at the first round tender. Some team might pay it, but the Chiefs won't.

I can see the pats and 9ers

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I can see the pats and 9ers

Baltimore.

chiefforlife
02-18-2012, 09:07 AM
So we let our first round WR walk so we can give up another first round pick for Wallace? No thanks.
Also, I would rather have Bowe, he will go over the middle, Wallace is only a long ball receiver. He will occasionally take a quick pass at the line of scrimmage but he is pretty limited otherwise. Thats why Antonio Brown is doing so well.

-King-
02-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Baltimore.

Nope. They have Boldin and Torrey Smith did well last year in stretching the field. They're pretty set at WR. And I also don't see them making any big moves before they lock up Ray Rice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Nope. They have Boldin and Torrey Smith did well last year in stretching the field. They're pretty set at WR. And I also don't see them making any big moves before they lock up Ray Rice.
Posted via Mobile Device

I dont think they are set at WR.

I also agree with the following tweet:

Evan Silva @evansilva
#Ravens ought to be first team offering Mike Wallace a long-term deal if #Steelers only apply 1st-round tender. Rob rival, fill huge need.

Tuckdaddy
02-18-2012, 10:44 AM
If we had a good QB then Bowe would sign right back up, but no, we have Matt.

BoneKrusher
02-18-2012, 10:57 AM

exactly.
it's first thing i thought as soon as i read the thread title.

Wallace wouldn't come anywhere near KC if he thought Castle will be the starter.

Von Dumbass
02-18-2012, 11:45 AM
It's going to cost us a first round pick to get him. The Steelers haven't won like 5 Super Bowls by letting good players walk away.

BossChief
02-18-2012, 12:50 PM
It's going to cost us a first round pick to get him. The Steelers haven't won like 5 Super Bowls by letting good players walk away.

Actually, they do.

whoman69
02-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Remember how great Cassel was at getting the deep ball to Moss? Yeah, doesn't matter.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Remember how great Cassel was at getting the deep ball to Moss? Yeah, doesn't matter.

I didn't believe this until I looked it up.

Now I am a believer.

See for yourself...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t_BoSexbXVo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

xztop12
02-18-2012, 03:28 PM
If we don't keep Bowe, there's several WRs out there who could be nice replacements.

Sure Wallace would be a nice speed addition.

What we really need is for Baldwin to take a big step up this year. The guy was a 1st rounder after all.

Whats hard about the Bowe thing is that i still dont think they know what they have in Baldwin yet... Haley was using the guy so freaking weird, he'd line him up at slow and motion him to Tight end.... he was also leaving Baldwin in to pass block ... pretty sure at some points Haley was being different jsut for the sake of doing it

Pioli Zombie
02-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Wallace would be an excellent target for one of Cassels 29 yard Hail Marys.

Von Dumbass
02-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Actually, they do.

They let over the hill players go like Joey Porter, Foote, and Faneca. They got rid of Holmes and Burress and never missed a beat. Wallace isn't going to be given away for something crazy like a 5th round pick.

Bump
02-18-2012, 04:29 PM

Now I am a believer.

See for yourself...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t_BoSexbXVo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

that did hang up there like a cassel throw, I guess EA deserves some credit there.

milkman
02-18-2012, 04:56 PM
that did hang up there like a cassel throw, I guess EA deserves some credit there.

It was a 19 yard pass, with 25 yards in yac, and he still put air under it like he was passing it 50 yards downfield.

Someone at Madden actually watched Cassel.

whoman69
02-18-2012, 05:49 PM

Now I am a believer.

See for yourself...

Dammit, don't have flash player here at work. Have to wait until I get home.

DTLB58
02-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Bowe landed in Pittsburgh with Haley.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Dammit, don't have flash player here at work. Have to wait until I get home.

I apologize in advance. LMAO

You will know what this means once you watch the video... :p

ArrowheadMagic
02-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Bowe landed in Pittsburgh with Haley.

Then Pitt doesnt keep Wallace, there's this thing called a cap.

KCwolf
02-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Honestly ..... with this team having more $$$ than Bill Gates......If we lose Bowe or Carr - it's a joke

Mr_Tomahawk
02-21-2012, 08:23 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/21/talk-heats-up-in-pittsburgh-that-mike-wallace-could-leave/

Talk heats up in Pittsburgh that Mike Wallace could leave

Ordinarily, when a team has a good young player who becomes a restricted free agent, that team does what it needs to do and keeps that good young player in the fold. But itís becoming increasingly clear that Steelers receiver Mike Wallace is not in an ordinary situation.

Wallace becomes a restricted free agent in three weeks, and does so in the first year of the new rules for restricted free agents: A team that wants to sign Wallace away from the Steelers would now only have to forfeit a first-round pick to Pittsburgh, whereas in the past, signing Wallace away would have cost a first-round pick and a third-round pick.

And the Steelers are in a different situation than most teams because the Steelers are in such precarious salary cap shape. Another team with a good restricted free agent like Wallace would put the franchise tag on him, but the Steelers would have to cut a bunch of other players to squeeze the $9.4 million franchise tender under their salary cap.

The Steelers are also in a tough spot because they know theyíre going to face the same situation again next year when another receiver, Antonio Brown, also becomes a restricted free agent. Brown was voted the Steelersí MVP in 2011, and the Steelers would like to keep him beyond 2012, the final year of his current contract. But if the Steelers sign Wallace to a long-term deal, will they have devoted so many resources toward one receiver that they canít afford another lucrative contract for another receiver? And if all the Steelers do is sign Wallace to a one-year tender offer this year, then the Steelers will be faced with both Wallace and Brown becoming free agents a year from now. (Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders becomes a restricted free agent next year, too.)

Add all this up, and the Steelers may be painted into a corner where they just wonít be able to match a lucrative offer that some other team gives to Wallace. As Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette noted on Mondayís PFT Live and wrote about in a piece this morning, the Steelers may just have to accept the fact that Wallace isnít a player they can afford right now. And there are worse things than getting another first-round draft pick, which is what they would get from a team that signs Wallace to a restricted free agent offer sheet that the Steelers donít match.

The Patriots and Ravens have both been mentioned as teams that might be interested in signing Wallace. Both teams would like to add a great deep threat to their passing game and would also like to take away a great deep threat from one of their AFC rivals, and both teams pick late in the first round of this yearís draft and would view Wallace as more likely to help them get to the Super Bowl in the coming years than whoever they would draft at the end of round one.

Itís still possible that the Steelers will decide that Wallace is just too important to lose, and that they have to make painful choices elsewhere to keep him. But with three weeks to go before free agency begins, itís beginning to look like the Steelers will lose one of the best young receivers in football.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Evan Silva @evansilva
Pittsburgh PG's Ed Bouchette on Mike Wallace: "They're not gonna franchise him. Would add another $9.5M & they can't do that, won't do that"

Evan Silva @evansilva
More Bouchette: "He's gonna hit free agency as RFA. Maybe New England will (give up a 1st-rd pick). They have two." Also mentioned SF & CIN.

lcarus
02-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Having Mike Wallace opposite Bowe with Breaston, Baldwin, and Moeaki would be phenomenal. We'd finally have a speedy vertical threat. Unfortunately, still no QB.

ChiefsandO'sfan
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Why would you give up a first round pick for him??Team has to many holes to fill.

L.A. Chieffan
02-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Has anybody mentioned that it would be pointless because we don't have a qb yet?

BoneKrusher
02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Has anybody mentioned that it would be pointless because we don't have a qb yet?

yep, a couple o' times.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Why would you give up a first round pick for him??Team has to many holes to fill.

I'm not saying we should.

Was just updating the post.

Consistent1
02-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I can't see somebody not giving up the first for a young player like Wallace. The Patriots and the two firsts makes sense. Would you rather have Lloyd?

saphojunkie
02-21-2012, 03:29 PM
I would be surprised if anyone gave up a first for Mike Wallace. The guy's outstanding, but are lots of WR options in free agency this year.

Dick Bull
02-21-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm just wondering if the reason that they drafted Baldwin was because they thought he would be Bowe 2.0 and they were planning on him leaving.