PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Pomegranate

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Who eats them here?

I love them...but don't really know anyone else who buys them that often. How many of you here buy them regularly (when in season)?

BTW, they go great with beer.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Pomegranate02_edit.jpg

Fritz88
02-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I like.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rain Man
02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
I think I've asked this before, but I always forget. Are you supposed to eat the seeds or just suck the juicy stuff off of them and spit them out?

I suffer from a lack of confidence in eating pomegranates because I don't know what to do.

I did discover last year that you're supposed to eat the skin in star fruits, though. Now I can eat them with confidence.

Bill Parcells
02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I think I've asked this before, but I always forget. Are you supposed to eat the seeds or just suck the juicy stuff off of them and spit them out?

I suffer from a lack of confidence in eating pomegranates because I don't know what to do.

I did discover last year that you're supposed to eat the skin in star fruits, though. Now I can eat them with confidence.

The seeds give it the taste, kinda like strawberries. so yes, eat the entire lil red thing.

Bill Parcells
02-18-2012, 11:24 AM
I eat them, but not too often. they give me heartburn.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 11:24 AM

You eat the seeds.

Pomegranate can be very messy to eat if you dont know what you are doing.

The easiest, cleanest way to do it is cut the pomegranate in half on a cutting board over some paper towels. The "blood" from the pomegranate stains like no other.

Then take the pomegranate halves...and in a large bowl of cold water, break the pomegranate up by hand. The seeds will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the core (white part) will float to the surface of the bowl. You can then scoop the core chunks out and strain the water out.

Throw them seeds in a bowl...open a beer...watch a game, and enjoy. :) #win

DeezNutz
02-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Yep, the seeds are delicious.

whoman69
02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Kind of pricey. Lowest price I've seen here is a bit less than $3 each. I tried one. Didn't eat the seeds. Thought it was alright. Guess I prefer the juice more.

Bill Parcells
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
You eat the seeds.

The easiest, cleanest way to do it is cut the pomegranate in half on a cutting board over some paper towels. The "blood" from the pomegranate stains like no other.

Then take the pomegranate halves...and in a large bowl of cold water, break the pomegranate up by hand. The seeds will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the core (white part) will float to the surface of the bowl. You can then scoop the core chunks out and strain the water out.

HAHAHA! They come with those directions in a pamphlet at my food shopping place :)

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 11:37 AM
HAHAHA! They come with those directions in a pamphlet at my food shopping place :)

Nice...and fancy.

I live in Spring Hill, KS...I am lucky just to find them here.

JoeyChuckles
02-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Seeds are plant eggs. You are eating babies.

Hog Farmer
02-18-2012, 12:51 PM

That's a great question. You're not the only one that has pomegranite phobia. I've read that they are one of the healthiest foods there is but I too ,like you and probably many others , have been confused after my initial confrontation with this fruit.

La literatura
02-18-2012, 01:12 PM
You eat the seeds.

We don't eat anything else, though? Just the seeds?

Fruit Ninja
02-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Have a tree in my backyard. Also have a cherry tree. I tear them up every year.

WilliamTheIrish
02-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I eat them, but not too often. they give me heartburn.

Man, I just discovered how great these are since I moved to the Central Valley. But holy shit you're right: Those MF'ers will make the stomach acid churn.

Pioli Zombie
02-18-2012, 03:36 PM
I like diahrea

FAX
02-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't like screwing around with those things. Too difficult to eat unless your lost in the jungle and starving and you have to keep your strength up in order to continue to avoid the pygmies, the little bastards.

When I go to the market, I usually buy a bottle of POM. I really like that stuff. I especially like the version that's mixed with cherry juice. It's good for you, too. I think that 1 bottle of POM is equivalent to eating something like 200 pomegranates. I think that's right.

FAX

Bump
02-18-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't like screwing around with those things. Too difficult to eat unless your lost in the jungle and starving and you have to keep your strength up in order to continue to avoid the pygmies, the little bastards.

When I go to the market, I usually buy a bottle of POM. I really like that stuff. I especially like the version that's mixed with cherry juice. It's good for you, too. I think that 1 bottle of POM is equivalent to eating something like 200 pomegranates. I think that's right.

FAX

1 all natural pomegranate is better for you than a bottle of mass produced juice with tons of preservatives and chemicals and shit in it. Those things are such a scam.

3rd&48ers
02-18-2012, 04:33 PM
I like them..

Fruit Ninja
02-18-2012, 04:43 PM
I like diahrea

yeah, if you eat about 5 in an hour or so. YOu can eat one a day and be fine unless you have a weak ass stomach.

Fruit Ninja
02-18-2012, 04:45 PM
number 1 POM rule is never wear white when eating them and kids have to eat them OUTSIDE! lol

3rd&48ers
02-18-2012, 04:47 PM
number 1 POM rule is never wear white when eating them and kids have to eat them OUTSIDE! lol

And don't take a sleeping pill after you eat a few LMAO

mlyonsd
02-18-2012, 04:52 PM
As kids we thought they were the coolest thing ever. Mom would buy one and we'd go outside and get out of her hair for an hour.

WilliamTheIrish
02-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Fruit Ninja? What the fuck? LMAO

Fruit Ninja
02-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Fruit Ninja? What the ****? LMAO
They changed my name. lol So i just embraced it! I have no idea how long i have to keep it though. haha

3rd&48ers
02-18-2012, 05:12 PM
They changed my name. lol So i just embraced it! I have no idea how long i have to keep it though. haha

I think it is a cool name, and on a thread like this kinda makes you look like an expert commentator LMAO

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-18-2012, 05:18 PM
I think it is a cool name, and on a thread like this kinda makes you look like an expert commentator LMAO

In comparison, your name makes you look like an expert on face paint, spiked shoulder pads, and prison sex :p

hometeam
02-18-2012, 06:00 PM
I love them but they are a pain in the ass to eat.

Ill stick with pom juice.

3rd&48ers
02-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I love them but they are a pain in the ass to eat.

Ill stick with pom juice.

Yea, if you get greedy and try to get to big of a chunk you bite into the white membrane of the fruit and it's bitter as hell.

Phobia
02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Have a tree in my backyard. Also have a cherry tree. I tear them up every year.

I think I shall change your name to "Fruit Ninja".

WilliamTheIrish
02-18-2012, 06:40 PM
I think I shall change your name to "Fruit Ninja".

Well done.

La literatura
02-18-2012, 07:15 PM
My Hy-Vee said they are out and won't get anymore til fall.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 07:19 PM
My Hy-Vee said they are out and won't get anymore til fall.

Yeah....February isn't considered "in-season" for pomegranate.

3rd&48ers
02-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Yeah....February isn't considered "in-season" for pomegranate.

I think those things grow in the middle east

Mr_Tomahawk
02-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I think those things grow in the middle east

I think they grow in zones 7+ which are most states south of Kansas....

3rd&48ers
02-18-2012, 07:28 PM
I think they grow in zones 7+ which are most states south of Kansas....

Learn something new everyday... I was reading wikipedia on them a few months back while munching on one.

chasedude
02-18-2012, 08:06 PM
drunkin blackout fapping while eating them is not advised...

BigRichard
02-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Seeds are plant eggs. You are eating babies.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1598256_o.gif

threebag02
02-18-2012, 10:41 PM
I love them. Have enjoyed them for forty years.

Silock
02-19-2012, 12:10 AM
They are awesome and I love them, but they are way too hard to prepare for the enjoyment. So, I don't eat them anymore. Just a big pain in the ass.

Otter
02-19-2012, 12:11 AM
This is where the word "grenade" is derived from, a fruit, imagine that.

I'm here to help people.

FAX
02-19-2012, 02:34 AM
1 all natural pomegranate is better for you than a bottle of mass produced juice with tons of preservatives and chemicals and shit in it. Those things are such a scam.

This post falls squarely in the class of Cognitus Evacuatum, Mr. Bump. POM is 100% natural with no preservatives or additives whatsoever. All natural POM increases erectile duration and promotes healthy buttocks. And it's tasty, too.

It's even sold in the organic section where they sell carrots that have been grown in chaste soil and sprinkled with the cleavage sweat of virgins.

FAX

Al Bundy
02-19-2012, 02:36 AM
I am not a fan of them by themselves I do enjoy them in drinks in tandem with blueberries.

KC Tattoo
02-19-2012, 02:36 AM
I can't say I ever seen one or heard of one.

Fried Meat Ball!
02-19-2012, 04:28 AM
I like 'em. Don't like the bottled juice.

And if you know how to get the seeds out, they're pretty easy to enjoy. The key is de-seeding them under water. The inedible rind floats while the seeds sink.

threebag02
02-19-2012, 07:02 AM
bottles of POM kick ass.

Okie_Apparition
02-19-2012, 09:04 AM
MTG's women all eat one right before he takes them from behind

Frankie
02-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I grew up on Pomegranates. MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE FRUIT! If there's no Pomegranate trees in heaven I ain't going! ;)