PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Paul Soliai Would Make Major Difference For Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Front

Mr_Tomahawk
02-19-2012, 07:01 AM
http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2012/2/18/2808023/paul-soliai-would-make-major-difference-for-kansas-city-chiefs

Paul Soliai Would Make Major Difference For Kansas City Chiefs Defensive Front

Pete Prisco recently posted a column at CBS Sports linking one key free agent with each team, and Kansas City Chiefs fans will love the sound of Paul Soliai coming to Arrowhead. Prisco says the Chiefs have a major need at defensive tackle and that the former Miami Dolphins anchor would help in a major way.

Prisco summarizes, "They need a run stuffer in the middle of their defense. Soliai would bring that to a unit that needs it." That's a short way of saying that the Chiefs have no real options in the middle at this point, Kelly Gregg is getting old and could possibly retire. The team only has Anthony Toribio and Jerrelle Powe under contract and both players lack experience to even know what they have there. For the anchor point of the entire 3-4 defense, the Chiefs will need to do something at the point of attack.

Perhaps a draft choice like Devon Still or Dontari Poe will make a difference there, but Soliai is already one of the best paid defensive tackles on the market as he was franchised last year at nearly $12.5 million by the Dolphins. He's still young at 28 and made the Pro Bowl last season.

Pro Football Focus likes him and ranks him as the No. 36 free agent available this offseason. "2011 didnít quite match 2010 in terms of production for Soliai who saw less playing time as the Dolphins got more sub packages involved in their defense. A valuable run defender who has shown some burst to get up field, Soliai is at the right age (28) and could fit into any defensive front."

Adding a player like Soliai would be a major win for the Chiefs in free agency, giving them more than a one-year stopgap at an all important position -- someone who is already experienced enough to take the Chiefs defense to the next level when it's already so promising.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Now, this is a move I would like and agree with.

big nasty kcnut
02-19-2012, 08:17 AM
no our draft picks should have a chance to prove themselves
Posted via Mobile Device

michaelj_58
02-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Let's do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

milkman
02-19-2012, 08:20 AM
no our draft picks should have a chance to prove themselves
Posted via Mobile Device

What draft picks?

Jerrel Powe and who?

michaelj_58
02-19-2012, 08:23 AM
If we keep Cassel we will need to load up the defense so they can pitch shutout's!!!!!!!!

CaliforniaChief
02-19-2012, 08:23 AM
This would be a very good signing for us.

tredadda
02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
I am all for signing him. We are a good NT (and a re-signed Carr) away from being a Top 5 defense.

suds79
02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
What draft picks?

Jerrel Powe and who?

This.

Powe will likely get to play regardless. You have to have subs.

Easy 6
02-19-2012, 10:08 AM
I certainly have more faith in something good being done at this position than i do qb.

This might actually happen.

Frankie
02-19-2012, 10:36 AM
The only connection to the Tree that Soliai has is a coach we have who last year was a coach on the offensive side of him, and whom once upon a time coached with the Tree.

:(

RustShack
02-19-2012, 10:40 AM
The only connection to the Tree that Soliai has is a coach we have who last year was a coach on the offensive side of him, and whom once upon a time coached with the Tree.

You know the Dolphins HC is part of the same tree as the Chiefs right? Bill Parcells played a pretty big role for the Dolphins, this is easily a player Pioli will be pursuing.

htismaqe
02-19-2012, 10:41 AM

The recently fired Miami HC was on Parcell's staff in Dallas, I believe.

Frankie
02-19-2012, 10:43 AM
You know the Dolphins HC is part of the same tree as the Chiefs right? Bill Parcells played a pretty big role for the Dolphins, this is easily a player Pioli will be pursuing.

My bad. I did not mean "the Tree." I meant "the Patriot way."

But thanks for putting my mind at ease. I so want this guy for our D.

TEX
02-19-2012, 10:47 AM

Yep...Gospel.

CoMoChief
02-19-2012, 11:08 AM
There are 3 things that would take this defense over the top and to the point where we would just dominate teams. I'm talking 2000 Ravens/2002 Bucs. That's a very high bar to set. But I'm being serious. If this team could get a real NT and a bigger ILB we'd stop the run a lot better, allowing our pass rush with Hali and a better ascending Justin Houston to tee off on the opposing Oline/QB on passing downs.

1. Resign our own CB Brandon Carr
2. Sign NT Paul Soliai in FA
3. Draft ILB Dont'a Hightower

Plug those players in along with Eric Berry coming back (granted he's back to 100% of his old self). Lewis had his ups and downs last season, but he was a ball hawk at times, and Berry coming back is just going to make him better, as well it will make Carr, Flowers, and the entire secondary better.

Dorsey, Soliai, Jackson (Gilberry)
Hali, Hightower, Johnson, Houston
Flowers, Berry, Lewis, Carr, (Arenas)

Let's just all hope Cassel can perform as well as he did in 2010, or at least as good as Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer.

Offensively.

Need to find better ways to protect Matt Cassel. He's going to be the starting QB in 2012. Just accept it. BUT, I don't think there's any Oline in this draft that is worth taking at our spot. That's just me. The best prospect (USC's OT Kalil) will already be taken. Find a OT in FA and to be honest just about anyone will be better than the performances Barry Richardson shit out last season. I really would focus most of the picks (after the 1st rd) on Oline depth, because right now we have none. Weigmann needs to be replaced and one could argue that Lilja should be as well. Either way you look at the depth across the board on the Oline as well as some of the games last season and you can see why depth is desperately needed. Maybe we should add another WR like a (ARK WR) Greg Childs in the second day.

Is this wishful thinking on my part???

O.city
02-19-2012, 11:13 AM
The wr from Ark we should look at is Joe Adams.

I differ in the opinion of Belcher, as adding Soliai instantly makes DJ and Belcher better.

KurtCobain
02-19-2012, 11:18 AM
You can make DJ better?
Posted via Mobile Device

whoman69
02-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Looks like our only chance is building that dominant defense. We won't be able to keep up with real QBs.

CoMoChief
02-19-2012, 11:27 AM
The wr from Ark we should look at is Joe Adams.

I differ in the opinion of Belcher, as adding Soliai instantly makes DJ and Belcher better.

Joe Adams will not be available for us to pick. We need to focus on Oline in the draft if we make a run at Soliai. Childs is a good value pick in the 2nd day, a bargain guy that came off of an injury, may have a chip on his shoulder because his draft stock fell massively from being a former 1st-2nd round prospect, to now what some say to be a 4th-5th round guy.

And having Hightower would elevate this defense a lot more than what Belcher can do. Belcher is not big at all. Need someone that's bigger and stronger in there. Hightower has a higher ceiling IMO and would be much better at stopping the run.

1. ILB Hightower
2. Oline
3. Oline
4. Oline
5. WR Childs
6. BPA
7. BPA

O.city
02-19-2012, 11:32 AM
I agree with you takes CoMO, however from what I've seen there is a good chance Hightower is around in the 2 when we pick. You could get your right tackle in the first, after trading down to get an extra say 2 rounder. They you could get Hightower and Adams in the second and get your oline from then out if you want.

go bowe
02-19-2012, 12:30 PM

get a rope then...

oh wait...

pkane
02-19-2012, 12:38 PM
You can make DJ better?
Posted via Mobile Device

I would hope so. I think it is ideal that all the players improve.

CoMoChief
02-19-2012, 04:30 PM
I agree with you takes CoMO, however from what I've seen there is a good chance Hightower is around in the 2 when we pick. You could get your right tackle in the first, after trading down to get an extra say 2 rounder. They you could get Hightower and Adams in the second and get your oline from then out if you want.

That seems a far stretch....I haven't heard anything that suggests Hightower being anything other than a top 20 selection.

milkman
02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
We don't fucking need Hightower.

Belcher is ascending thumper, and drafting an ILB to replace him is far down the list of needs.

People are fucking morons.

BossChief
02-19-2012, 05:05 PM
We don't fucking need Hightower.

Belcher is ascending thumper, and drafting an ILB to replace him is far down the list of needs.

People are fucking morons.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

...and that is with Hightower being one of my absolute favorite players out of this draft class.

Chocolate Hog
02-19-2012, 05:06 PM
If the Chiefs really do have 60 mil to spend and let Carr go they better sign a guy like Soliai.

BossChief
02-19-2012, 05:28 PM
Believe it or not, I wish there were a couple posters from the Coalition that would post here.

2 or 3 of those guys really understood the ins and outs of this CBA and read the whole thing a couple times.

There is even a link there to the whole CBA top to bottom front to back over there.

Hog Farmer
02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I am all for signing him. We are a good NT (and a re-signed Carr) away from being a Top 5 defense.

If we had a QB that could keep us the damn ball our D would have been top 5 last year !

stonedstooge
02-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Believe it or not, I wish there were a couple posters from the Coalition that would post here.

2 or 3 of those guys really understood the ins and outs of this CBA and read the whole thing a couple times.

There is even a link there to the whole CBA top to bottom front to back over there.

What do they say about the descrepancies of $60 million cap space and $24 million cap amounts being reported

BossChief
02-19-2012, 06:05 PM
What do they say about the descrepancies of $60 million cap space and $24 million cap amounts being reported

I was banned over there for being a high frequency poster here, so Im not sure.

Too bad I couldnt have taken a couple of those guys over with me before they banned me.

They would be quality additions to this site.

Oh well.

O.city
02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Do they not like CP over there?

Heres a question about Soliai, what other teams, if he is cut by Miami, would actually be interested and have the cap to sign him?

jspchief
02-19-2012, 06:15 PM
I know a big run stuffer NT fits Crennel's 3-4, but with Dorsey and Jackson solid vs the run, but invisible vs the pass, maybe we should be looking at a guy that can collapse the pocket and get upfield.

O.city
02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Can Soliai not do that?

O.city
02-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Lets look at the 34 teams taht would be looking for a NT

Chiefs
Steelers
Ravens
Texans
Jets

Who else am I missing?

I don't think the Steelers can afford as I think their a little cap strapped.

milkman
02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Do they not like CP over there?

The Coalition is all candy canes and roses.

You could get banned there for calling someone uninformed nicely.

Candyasses.

jspchief
02-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Can Soliai not do that?

Maybe?

The real problem is Crennel's 2 gap scheme. The dline is tasked with controlling the line, not penetrating. Unfortunately, it leaves room for a QB to step up and avoid Hali.

O.city
02-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Maybe?

The real problem is Crennel's 2 gap scheme. The dline is tasked with controlling the line, not penetrating. Unfortunately, it leaves room for a QB to step up and avoid Hali.

True, but you also have Houston on the other side now.

We do like you said, need someone to collapse from the middle. I think Soliai could do that.

But also, on most passing situations we are gonna have sup package people in. I liked the packages of having Bailey over the C just bullrushing.

milkman
02-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Maybe?

Technically, in Crennel's scheme, rather than penetration, the NT is responsible for pushing the O-Line back, collapsing the pocket in front of the QB, forcing him to move to the left or right.

O.city
02-19-2012, 07:27 PM
So who's the other 34 teams in the NFL.

mcaj22
02-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Lets look at the 34 teams taht would be looking for a NT

Chiefs
Steelers
Ravens
Texans
Jets

Who else am I missing?

I don't think the Steelers can afford as I think their a little cap strapped.

I dont think the Ravens/Texans need a NT

Texans play that 34 defense that the Cowboys do, where the NT is like a pass rusher i.e. Jay Ratliff. Big Soliai is a run stuffer.

Steelers are on the verge of cutting Casey Hampton and they are good at homegrown talent and are cap strapped, so I'm not sure it's their thing to bring in a high priced guy like this.

I think the Jets and Chargers would be potential fits. I havent been following the Cardinals is Dan Williams panning out? Can't think of many other 34 teams. The 49ers are out they are stacked on the d-line.

I heard the Panthers might consider a 34 transition? if that's true you'd have to consider there as well even though I think that owner dumped so much money into their in house contracts they are close to the cap as well

aturnis
02-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Well, a couple years ago, it was about a 50/50 split for 3-4 / 4-3 in the league. Since then, I'm thinking a few teams have flopped to the other side. Miami being the most recent. Last year, it was 14, so minus Miami, it'd be about 13 NFL teams running the 3-4.

O.city
02-19-2012, 08:25 PM
So the Cowboys, Steelers, Texans, Phins, Ravens, aren't likely in the market for a big 34 run stuffing NT.

What teams are?

The 9ers maybe, the Cardinals?

aturnis
02-19-2012, 08:27 PM
So next year, to the best of my knowledge, these will be the teams running a 3-4 next year:

Steelers
Packers
Jets
Ravens
Browns
Chiefs
Texans
Cardinals
Chargers
Patriots
Cowboys

Frankie
02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
If the Chiefs really do have 60 mil to spend and let Carr go they better sign a guy like Soliai.

How about signing BOTH dammit!?!

I was banned over there for being a high frequency poster here, so Im not sure.
That's a bannable offense there?!

O.city
02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
So next year, to the best of my knowledge, these will be the teams running a 3-4 next year:

Steelers no money
Packers no idea, maybe a possiblity
Jets no money
Ravens don't need, but might take a chacne, no idea
Browns doubt they would spend much money
Chiefs
Texans wrong style
Cardinals don't know
Chargers no idea, maybe Buck can help us with this.
Patriots doube it
Cowboys wrong style

Tried to summarize.

O.city
02-19-2012, 08:40 PM
I really want this guy though. He is the perfect fit for our defense. So we likely won't get him.

I'm thinking he will cost more than we want to spend.

RustShack
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
When does the Salary Cap floor go into effect? We actually could be pretty decent players(compared to the last few years) if the floor starts within the next two years. Hes not going to want to just go all out in one year.

aturnis
02-19-2012, 08:54 PM
I really want this guy though. He is the perfect fit for our defense. So we likely won't get him.

I'm thinking he will cost more than we want to spend.

What he's rumored to be asking for will not break the bank. Boss posted a link I think. Something like 35-38Mil I think.

aturnis
02-19-2012, 08:59 PM
When does the Salary Cap floor go into effect? We actually could be pretty decent players(compared to the last few years) if the floor starts within the next two years. Hes not going to want to just go all out in one year.

Next season is when the floor takes effect.

You are right though, and logical. Most here think we'll be cheap again. It seems like, up until this point, Pioli has just been smart with his(Clark's) money. He'll likely spend quite a bit this year, enough to get us within' 5%, so we can carry over our remaining cap to next season, and load the big contracts on this year and next. That's what I'd do anyway. You'd get your guys, and be able to afford them while keeping the cap in a manageable situation and assuring the possibility of sustained success for this team.

RustShack
02-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Personally I think hes done it the smart way. Kinda sucks to wait, but he was just building up in house through draft picks. We have a real good/young core in place, and plenty of money to keep them here. Now that our team is actually looking like we are a few pieces away from being contenders(assuming we bring back Carr/Bowe among a few of our other free agents) we might actually bring in a few players and be willing to toss out a little more than normal on say Soliai.

But Soliai does make way too much sense not to happen. Pioli loves him some DL, as does his HC. Soliai is from a team that also favored the Parcells way too and those are the players we have been targeting under Pioli anyways.

Plus look at what hes paying Jackson and Dorsey.

Direckshun
02-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Chargers aren't going to be in the running, they're one-gap.

aturnis
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Chargers aren't going to be in the running, they're one-gap.

Besides that, I think Garay is a free agent, and he played pretty well. They'll probably just resign him and stick with the status quo.

mcaj22
02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
So the Cowboys, Steelers, Texans, Phins, Ravens, aren't likely in the market for a big 34 run stuffing NT.

What teams are?

The 9ers maybe, the Cardinals?

49ers have a good d-line and big Isaac Sopoaga manning the middle who was an easy replacement for why they let Abrayu Franklin walk

so I really doubt they splash for a NT.

Cardinals I have no idea what goes on with that team because who the hell pays attention to them. All I know is they are a pretty cheap team, similar to the Chiefs especially in the lets give a 60 million dollar contract to a backup QB sort of deal. And they are a few years behind us on that front

O.city
02-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Then by all this we have talked about, there are gonna be few teams actually in the running for this guy.

Shit we might have a pretty good chance of signing the guy.

aturnis
02-19-2012, 09:56 PM
I'd imagine our main competition would be the Browns and the Cardinals. Probably the Cardinals though. Eason is 32 and their backup was a rook last year. Their need probably outweighs ours, but he seems to be a more important piece to our puzzle.

I guess a lot of it comes down to who would rather draft their NT.

O.city
02-19-2012, 10:00 PM
Did the Cardinals just spend a pick on a NT a few years ago? Or was taht last year?

Chocolate Hog
02-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Basically this is what it will cost to get Soliai.

"The offer put forth by Canter was in line with the contract that the Browns gave Ahtyba Rubin earlier this month. Rubin got $18 million in guaranteed money from 2012-2014 and his career arc makes for a pretty good comparison to Soliai. There’s precedent for the Dolphins offer as well. When Vince Wilfork signed his extension with the Patriots before last season, he did it with the franchise money essentially being part of the $25 million guaranteed him over the life of the deal. Wilfork is also set to make $8 million per year in his deal."

O.city
02-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Is that doable?

aturnis
02-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Anything is doable for the Chiefs right now. It just depends who they want to keep and bring in. Is Soliai the end all be all this year, or do they like this years NT draft class and current talent on the roster.

Chocolate Hog
02-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Is that doable?

Yes but the question is will Pioli overpay to get him?

RustShack
02-19-2012, 11:03 PM
Why would the Browns want him? Don't they have Rubin AND Phil Taylor?

aturnis
02-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Why would the Browns want him? Don't they have Rubin AND Phil Taylor?

Good call. Sorry, wasn't thinking on that one. They're set.

DJ's left nut
02-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Soliai would likely have a greater impact on this defense than Mario Williams would.

Further, he's exactly the kind of guy you'd want in front of Powe. Powe can learn from him, sub in for him and essentially give us fantastic depth in the interior (don't underestimate the value of being able to rotate the fatbodies).

There is a 'perfect' offseason for this team, IMO and Soliai is part of it.

Von Dumbass
02-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Redskins will sign him. Really don't want to see my fellow fans get their hopes up about this guy like Franklin last year. He is over 30 anyways, I think we should pass.

DJ's left nut
02-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Redskins will sign him. Really don't want to see my fellow fans get their hopes up about this guy like Franklin last year. He is over 30 anyways, I think we should pass.

Do you ever say anything that is accurate?

He turned 28 about 2 months ago.

You are truly a terminal case of worthless.

Tribal Warfare
02-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Anything is doable for the Chiefs right now. It just depends who they want to keep and bring in. Is Soliai the end all be all this year, or do they like this years NT draft class and current talent on the roster.

or get Sammie Lee Hill, then IMO a coin flip between Poe/Richardson depending if Crennel gets his choice for the 1st round pick instead of an unilateral decision by Pioli. Plus that, Richardson could be major trade bait if an offer presents itself.

Von Dumbass
02-20-2012, 12:29 AM

My bad I was thinking of the Jets NT. It doesn't matter though, we only sign free agents if they are willing to play for the vet minimum.

BossChief
02-20-2012, 12:55 AM
My bad I was thinking of the Jets NT. It doesn't matter though, we only sign free agents if they are willing to play for the vet minimum.

Steve Breaston just got done with your mom and sis.

They want you to come pick them up at Kmart.

crazycoffey
02-20-2012, 04:52 AM

Anything can happen, but barring murphey's law and/or injury; adding Soliai and replacing Carr with even a DECENT CB gives the chiefs the opportunity to be top 10. WITH Carr and everyone playing near their expectations (and an offense that keeps the D off the field near average for the year) We are certainly in the running for the best D of the year.

Frankie
02-20-2012, 10:43 AM

STEAMING worthless that is. :D