PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs What About Belcher?

Micjones
02-20-2012, 11:19 AM
http://arrowheadaddict.com/files/2012/02/5770532-590x511.jpg

With all the talk about the impending free agency of CB Brandon Carr and WR Dwayne Bowe, I fear that many Chiefs fans have overlooked the fact that another starter, Jovan Belcher,who is set to be a restricted free agent. That means the Chiefs control Belcherís rights and can offer him a tender. If Belcher signs the tender he can be courted by other teams, though the Chiefs will have the right to match any offers he receives. Depending on tender the Chiefs offer, the would receive draft picks from any team wishing to sign Belcher away.

Belcher certainly isnít as flashy a name as Bowe or Carr but that doesnít mean he isnít an important part of the defense.

KC fans seem to be rather lukewarm in their opinions of Belcher. He doesnít possess the athletic ability of fellow ILB Derrick Johnson. He doesnít make many flashy plays. There are few sacks and even fewer interceptions. I think if polled, most would agree that Belcher is fine but that he could be upgraded.

Belcher is an under the radar guy. We donít find ourselves talking about him very much. This could be a good or a bad thing considering your point of view. Is it bad that we donít see Belcher making a lot of big plays or good that we donít see him blowing plays ala ďShabbyĒ Sabby Piscitelli?

How good is Belcher? Can he get better or has he reached his ceiling. More importantly, what exactly does Belcher do in the defense? Might there be a reason for his lack of eye-popping statistics?

Letís take a closer look with our friends at Pro Football Focus!

They way I decided to break this down is by addressing some of the common comments we often hear in relation to Belcher.Weíll take those statements and look at the numbers to determine how true they really are. When we are done, we may perhaps have a better idea of Jovanís value.

1. Belcher is good against the run.

Is he?

Yes, he is.

Belcher played 662 snaps for Kansas City on defense in 2011 and 414 of those snaps were running plays.

Of the 50 ILBís (3-4 or 4-3 defenses) that played at least 25% of their teamís defensive snaps, Belcher was graded out as the 18th best run-stopper with a +9.2 mark.

The best ILB against the run in the NFL?

Derrick Johnson, who ties with NaVorro Bowman at +19.4.

2. Belcher canít cover.

No, he canít.

Of the same 50 ILBís, Belcher came in at #47 with a grade of -6.8.

3. Belcher is a liability in coverage.

Not really.

While Belcher isnít a guy you want dropping into coverage to handle a TE or even probably a running back, he just doesnít do it.

Belcher was target only 20 times all season long. Sure, he allowed 17 catches but only one TD. I wouldnít say that is enough to call Belcher a liability. The fact of the matter is that the Chiefs get Belcher out of the game for passing plays. He played only 213 snaps that were passes. Of those, Belcher rushed the passer 35 times coming up empty in the sack department.

In the end, Belcher was targeted about 1.24 times per game in coverage. He gave up just over one catch per game for an average of 12.5 yards per catch. In fact, Belcher was never targeted more than two times in 2012. Of the six games he was targeted twice, in four of them one of the passes fell incomplete.

Belcher may not be great in coverage but he is so rarely in coverage that he isnít costing the Chiefs games. At best, heís costing them one cheap first down a game.

Belcherís job is to play the run and his grades indicate he is slightly above average at doing so.

From the teamís perspective, however, that may not be enough. If the team wants a more complete player, Belcher could be replaced.

So will the Chiefs re-sign Belcher or tender him?

Sure the team has re-signed Brandon Siler but considering Siler has yet to play a regular season game for the Chiefs I wouldnít necessarily call him a reliable replacement for Belcher. Jovan has been starting for two seasons in KC and signed as an undrafted free agent and made only 480k last season. He likely wants to get paid starters money which could be slowing the contract talks, especially if the Chiefs think they can replace him with someone better.

If we are to believe Pro Football Weekly, that is just what the Chiefs plan to do. The following is from January 13th.

A Chiefs starter who might be out of a first-team role next season is ILB Jovan Belcher. Despite Belcher having finished second on the team in tackles with 87, there is a belief the team will try to upgrade the spot next to star ILB Derrick Johnson next season. Brandon Siler, who was placed on I.R. in training camp, just signed a one-year extension with the team, and inside Ďbacker is expected to be a position the team targets in the upcoming draft. Belcher, who went undrafted out of Maine in 2009, was called ďan impressive player considering where he came fromĒ by a team insider, who also added ďbut Belcher just isnít very good overall.Ē

My guess is that the Chiefs would like to keep Belcher but probably at a much more reasonable contract than Belcher thinks he deserves given his last two season starting. This puts the team in a bind because to keep Belcher they might have to pay him starters money to eventually play backup and while the Chiefs can technically afford to do so, it wouldnít be a very smart move. As such, the team will likely tender him, probably at a 2nd round level and see if anyone is interested.

What do you think Addicts? Will the team re-sign Belcher or tender him? More importantly, are the foolish for believing heíll be so easily replaceable?

The article. (http://arrowheadaddict.com/2012/02/20/jovan-belcher-the-forgotten-free-agent)

Detoxing
02-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Why aren't we talking about him?

Well that's pretty fucking simple. The Chiefs are going to throw a first round tender on him. Is any team going to pony up a first for Belcher?

ok then, lets move on.

dirk digler
02-20-2012, 11:24 AM
I am not a big Belcher fan, personally I think he sucks. He would be a good backup and to play on ST's though.

thurman merman
02-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I am not a big Belcher fan, personally I think he sucks.

:spock:

BigMeatballDave
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I am not a big Belcher fan, personally I think he sucks. He would be a good backup and to play on ST's though.

Wtf?

He's not great, but he's still young. I like him.

That said, if you can improve on a position, do it.

Micjones
02-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Why aren't we talking about him?

Well that's pretty ****ing simple. The Chiefs are going to throw a first round tender on him. Is any team going to pony up a first for Belcher?

ok then, lets move on.

I doubt that seriously. I'd expect nothing more than a 2 or 3.

the Talking Can
02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
he's the reason we're letting Carr walk

Micjones
02-20-2012, 12:14 PM
he's the reason we're letting Carr walk

Because they're going to give him a new deal?
They don't have to. He's restricted.

scho63
02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
He is at the bottom of my worries

the Talking Can
02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Because they're going to give him a new deal?
They don't have to. He's restricted.

oh, we're having a serious discussion...my bad

whoman69
02-20-2012, 12:34 PM
I think the same questions we are asking about Dorsey, we are asking about Belcher. Teams are going to be passing at times when we are in our base package with Belcher in there. He is a liability during those times. Even though they tried to get him out during pass plays, a third of the plays he was in were passes. That's a hole in your defense.

Micjones
02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I think the same questions we are asking about Dorsey, we are asking about Belcher. Teams are going to be passing at times when we are in our base package with Belcher in there. He is a liability during those times. Even though they tried to get him out during pass plays, a third of the plays he was in were passes. That's a hole in your defense.

Can the position be upgraded? Sure.
Should we considering other more pressing needs? I'm not so sure.

He's an average to slightly above-average player at his position.
We can live with Belcher as our starter.

Rausch
02-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Can the position be upgraded? Sure.
Should we considering other more pressing needs? I'm not so sure.

He's an average to slightly above-average player at his position.
We can live with Belcher as our starter.

He should be retained and he should be considered solid depth...

Micjones
02-20-2012, 01:03 PM
He should be retained and he should be considered solid depth...

Siler was extended to back him up.
We still need a RT, a Nose, possibly a Guard and help at QB.

Belcher is still young and ascending.

Demonpenz
02-20-2012, 02:41 PM
He played DE at Maine and he is the Thumper we need inside.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Wow. Gotta love CP "evaluations" of 24 year old players that have played solid ball.

gblowfish
02-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Wow. Gotta love CP "evaluations" of 24 year old players that have played solid ball.

I agree with that evaluation. I don't understand the Belcher man love, like he's a future HOF player. He's an average inside linebacker. We could do better. He's OK, good on special teams, but is by far the weak link in our linebacking corps.

BigMeatballDave
02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
I agree with that evaluation. I don't understand the Belcher man love, like he's a future HOF player. He's an average inside linebacker. We could do better. He's OK, good on special teams, but is by far the weak link in our linebacking corps.

:rolleyes:

No one thinks he's a HoF player.

He's a young, solid player still learning the position.

He's 24, not 29. Think about that.

Micjones
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
:rolleyes:

No one thinks he's a HoF player.

He's a young, solid player still learning the position.

He's 24, not 29. Think about that.

The idea that there are a bunch of shutdown ILB's playing in the 3-4 is asinine.
He's not good in coverage, but Crennel knows that.
That's why his snaps, in obvious passing situations, have been limited.

Chiefs fans hate serviceable NFL players.

NJChiefsFan
02-20-2012, 05:04 PM
In the end you can not have 22 all-stars on your team. That isn't to say you shouldn't try to get it to that point. With the cap in the NFL, even with how much KC has for this season, you have to let a few positions go with some decent but not amazing players.

To me Lewis and Belcher are those type. The arey not amazing but they do their job well enough, and maybe more importantly, are surrounded by other stars at their position.

If you want to be able to lock up a NT, OL, and possibly a QB for a while, you need to have some decent players at positions that don't eat up your cap. Especially if you want to spend some money on depth. We have some major needs to fill on both starters and depth. I don't think going out and spending money on a better ILB or drafting one high is of more value than just keeping Belcher.

BigMeatballDave
02-20-2012, 05:21 PM
In the end you can not have 22 all-stars on your team. That isn't to say you shouldn't try to get it to that point. With the cap in the NFL, even with how much KC has for this season, you have to let a few positions go with some decent but not amazing players.

To me Lewis and Belcher are those type. The arey not amazing but they do their job well enough, and maybe more importantly, are surrounded by other stars at their position.

If you want to be able to lock up a NT, OL, and possibly a QB for a while, you need to have some decent players at positions that don't eat up your cap. Especially if you want to spend some money on depth. We have some major needs to fill on both starters and depth. I don't think going out and spending money on a better ILB or drafting one high is of more value than just keeping Belcher.

Agreed. You just cannot have studs at every position.

He's good enough.

dirk digler
02-20-2012, 05:21 PM
:spock:

Sorry I am just not a fan. Kind of like the QB situation when is the last time the Chiefs had a dominant middle linebacker?

Micjones
02-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Sorry I am just not a fan. Kind of like the QB situation when is the last time the Chiefs had a dominant middle linebacker?

If we get the dominant QB...you could be playing ILB and it won't matter.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-20-2012, 08:19 PM

Uhh, Derrick Johnson's play qualifies.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-20-2012, 08:20 PM

There is quite a bit of wiggle room between HOF and sucks there hoss

jspchief
02-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Chiefs fans hate serviceable NFL players.Need a HoFer at every position.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-21-2012, 07:43 AM
Need a HoFer at every position.

Too many posters are stuck in "Madden Franchise Mode" mindset. Must have all teh 99 overalls at each positions!!!