PDA

View Full Version : Life Broken/Cracked Ribs

RockChalk
02-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm sure several of you have broken or cracked ribs before. I have a couple of cracked ribs and all I was told was to take a daily anti-inflammatory and rest.

Any other words of wisdom for me? How long did it take some of you to recover?

NOTE: I already took a few shots of antifreeze and I also ran into a flaming AIDS tree. Neither took away the pain or granted me a better ability to breathe.

ReynardMuldrake
02-21-2012, 08:21 AM
In before MTG#10 joke

penguinz
02-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Go rent or netflix some hilarious comedy movies.

Pushead2
02-21-2012, 08:23 AM
Took me 3-5 weeks for certain pains, tweaks and such to subside.

And when you sneeze, it will suck. So definitely sneeze while hugging a pillow. For the first week I had the pillow next to me at all times. (Sort of like when people have heart surgery due to cracking them open)

Feel better amigo!

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
In before MTG#10 joke

Heh, was just going to ask him how the collapsed lung, broken nose, and collar bone were doing

rockymtnchief
02-21-2012, 08:31 AM
I've broke mine over a dozen times. The quickest to heal was two weeks. The longest was six.

Definitely, fight off sneezing.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Try not doing any lame chants over the next couple of days...

J Diddy
02-21-2012, 08:35 AM
I went to the doctor and got pain pills. Freaking sucked. I would cough walking through the parking lot at school and it would drop me to my knees. Definitely stay close to a pillow to something you can grab onto when you do.

qabbaan
02-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Nothing you can do but wait for it to heal. Took a week or two for me before I could put on seat belts or raise my arms without too much pain.

RockChalk
02-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Appreciate the responses.

Did it playing basketball of all things. Sleeping is the biggest problem thus far, as I can really only sleep on my back. Anyways, was just trying to get an idea of how long I could expect to be "disabled"

J Diddy
02-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Appreciate the responses.

Did it playing basketball of all things. Sleeping is the biggest problem thus far, as I can really only sleep on my back. Anyways, was just trying to get an idea of how long I could expect to be "disabled"

Make sure you cough and take deep breaths to avoid pneumonia. That too hurts like hell, but you got to do it.

RockChalk
02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Make sure you cough and take deep breaths to avoid pneumonia. That too hurts like hell, but you got to do it.

Oh I've been doing plenty of both.

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2012, 08:55 AM
It's already been said, but it's worth repeating. Do. Not. Sneeze.

Last time I sneezed with a broken rib I thought I was going to pass out.

oldandslow
02-21-2012, 08:59 AM
First broke my ribs when I was in the service years ago... did it while we were blowing up a bridge...don't ask how. I was stupid. Combat Engineers usually are :).

The healing part took about 6 weeks, but we were out in the jungle and so they really never got the rest they needed.

Strange thing is I have broken them 3 times in the same area over the years, and every time it hurts like hell. I guess what I am saying is that I think you become more susceptible to doing it again after the first time.

-King-
02-21-2012, 09:00 AM
It's already been said, but it's worth repeating. Do. Not. Sneeze.

Last time I sneezed with a broken rib I thought I was going to pass out.

ROFL

Back in high school, my friend broke his ribs during football. Went to his house one day and he had a cold and he started having a sneezing bout. He was whining in pain after the first sneeze and by the time he was done sneezing, he was on the floor crying.

Hilarious day for me. Painful one for him.

Fire Me Boy!
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
First broke my ribs when I was in the service years ago... did it while we were blowing up a bridge...don't ask how. I was stupid. Combat Engineers usually are :).

The healing part took about 6 weeks, but we were out in the jungle and so they really never got the rest they needed.

Strange thing is I have broken them 3 times in the same area over the years, and every time it hurts like hell. I guess what I am saying is that I think you become more susceptible to doing it again after the first time.

First time I did it, I broke two... about three years ago. I've dislocated or broken the same two ribs three times since then.

tooge
02-21-2012, 09:20 AM
I ran a marathon the next day. I was able to throw the ball 70 yards in about a week, and I was back to benching 400 within a few days. Of course, they were cracked by chuck norris, so thats why it all took so long.

Iowanian
02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Don't hang around anyone with a cough, wash your hands alot, don't watch anything funny, get a rib compression wrap, and let your body heal.

I've had broken ribs a number of times and it sucks and there isn't shit you can do about it but take your pills and not over-do it. That's the hard part....the days you feel pretty good and try to do too much you set yourself back.

MOhillbilly
02-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Pain is temporary.

Demonpenz
02-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Sometimes it is more work doing NO WORK. If you are a guy on the go that freaking gets bored easily, you may need to really focus on not doing things.

BIG_DADDY
02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Hopefully it's not your floating ribs. For 30 days your sleep will be less than spectacular.

Demonpenz
02-21-2012, 02:32 PM
HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER>

loochy
02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Pain is temporary.

not always

penguinz
02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Pain is temporary.Pain only hurts until it stops.

saphojunkie
02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
When you get out of bed, put your feet on the floor first, then roll off your side and let gravity do the work.

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Broken ribs hurt.

Extra Point
02-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Aleve, wraps, don't catch colds, and no Family Guy. PRN

demonhero
02-21-2012, 05:37 PM
1 month.. sucked it up no pills. Pt'ed and the works.

Iowanian
02-21-2012, 07:37 PM
How is your spleen and orbital bone doing?

bricks
02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

Never had broken ribs before.

How is your breathing btw?

RockChalk
02-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

Never had broken ribs before.

How is your breathing btw?

Breathing is alright. Deep breaths hurt, but I was told by the doctor (among others) that I should continue to take them.

Believe it or not, the most painful part is laying down. That's when they hurt the most.