PDA

View Full Version : Life Vacation Ideas.

El Jefe
02-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Went to Cozumel last May for 10 days, was freaking awesome, my wife and I were thinking of going back, but want to see something else. Looking for any good suggestions, although we don't like to party so take that into account, just want to relax and have fun. I was thinking about the UK area (broad area I know), but I think airline tickets would crush me. Not looking to spend more than 5k-6k.

Almost pulled the trigger on The Excellence all inclusive resort in Punta Cana in the D.R.

Old Dog
02-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Cruise?

PunkinDrublic
02-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Costa Rica. Plenty of nice beaches to relax and a ton of different outdoorsy type things to do.

luv
02-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Sounds like you already have ideas on where you want to go. Just look for packages in your price range.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Jamaica. My wife and I honeymooned there last June we wanna go back this summer.

Dartgod
02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Belize.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=177034&highlight=belize

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=220556&highlight=belize

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=97249&d=1305478090

Dayze
Deluth

DaKCMan AP
Belize, Nicaragua, Peru, Barcelona

You should be able to go pretty much anywhere you like on a $5-6k budget.

MIAdragon
02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
You cant go wrong in the Caribbean, take a look at each island and pick the one that suits your tastes the best. We just visited Saba for the first time and had a blast.

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
What do you like to do?

$5-$6k is a healthy budget. It won't get you everywhere, so knock much of Africa and Asia off your list, and probably Australia. You might be able to get to some places like China for that price, or maybe Egypt. Not sure.

That's a good budget for exploring Europe. I'm a huge fan of Paris if you like culture. You could do Paris and then maybe take a train to Amsterdam for a few days. You could also do the Chunnel train between Paris and London, though honestly I'm not a huge fan of London. Other than a few cool things it's kind of like a big American city.

You can do a nice cruise to a lot of places.

You can do a nice trip to Hawaii or maybe even Tahiti.

My trip to Alaska cost roughly that amount or maybe a bit less, and it was great. Kodiak bears in Kodiak, and then take a ferry out the Aleutians and then a cruise ship home. It's a nice mix of being adventurous but without a lot of discomfort.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
look at Puerto Vallarta. We stayed at Casa Velas and it was amazing and very relaxing.

Bearcat
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
That's a good budget for exploring Europe. I'm a huge fan of Paris if you like culture. You could do Paris and then maybe take a train to Amsterdam for a few days. You could also do the Chunnel train between Paris and London, though honestly I'm not a huge fan of London. Other than a few cool things it's kind of like a big American city.

Paris would be a great place to start... I was only there a couple of weeks once for work, and even though there's plenty to do there, I would have liked to have some extra time to travel around Europe.

A cruise is a good idea, too... a Mediterranean cruise focused around Italy, Greece, and Turkey would be cool.

Dartgod
02-21-2012, 10:53 AM
A cruise is a good idea, too... a Mediterranean cruise focused around Italy, Greece, and Turkey would be cool.
I hear the hashish in Turkey is really good. /billyhayes

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Deluth

Deluth is nice this time of year. I find Decatur IL and Chillicothe MO to be under-rated as well.

scho63
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Cayman Islands

Saulbadguy
02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
BRANSON!!!!!!!1111

vailpass
02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Went to Cozumel last May for 10 days, was freaking awesome, my wife and I were thinking of going back, but want to see something else. Looking for any good suggestions, although we don't like to party so take that into account, just want to relax and have fun. I was thinking about the UK area (broad area I know), but I think airline tickets would crush me. Not looking to spend more than 5k-6k.

Almost pulled the trigger on The Excellence all inclusive resort in Punta Cana in the D.R.

How about you drive the rest of us around?

vailpass
02-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Deluth

Taconite country FTW! I had to fly in there once in the dead of winter in a 4 seat puddle jumper hung over as hell.

Munson
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Olathe, KS. Its always sunny and 72 degrees here.

vailpass
02-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Olathe, KS. Its always sunny and 72 degrees here.

I"ve driven through Olathe, damn nice town. Years ago when I was with Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids we used to compete with Honeywell Olathe for Electrical Engineers.

DaKCMan AP
02-21-2012, 11:23 AM

That would be a waste, IMO. Cruises are fine for the Caribbean, but you would miss out on so much of what Europe has to offer traveling via cruise.

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
BRANSON!!!!!!!1111

http://babysimpson.co.uk/info/leaflets/small/dabf09.jpg

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 11:48 AM
That would be a waste, IMO. Cruises are fine for the Caribbean, but you would miss out on so much of what Europe has to offer traveling via cruise.

We battle that, too. We like cruises a lot, but if I'm going to Europe I think I'd rather land in a city and explore it. We've decided that cruises should be either:

- Caribbean where you've seen one island, you've seen them all.
- Some destination that's not really a destination, like a transatlantic cruise
- A means of luxury travel on your way to some place like Europe or Hawaii

AndChiefs
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
What do you like to do?

$5-$6k is a healthy budget. It won't get you everywhere, so knock much of Africa and Asia off your list, and probably Australia. You might be able to get to some places like China for that price, or maybe Egypt. Not sure.

You can do a nice trip to Hawaii or maybe even Tahiti.

My trip to Alaska cost roughly that amount or maybe a bit less, and it was great. Kodiak bears in Kodiak, and then take a ferry out the Aleutians and then a cruise ship home. It's a nice mix of being adventurous but without a lot of discomfort.

I did China for about 2k (including airfare) but I stayed at hostels and didn't go to fancy places. I would imagine it would be around that budget though and is a great experience.

saphojunkie
02-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Are you just looking to relax, or do you want a cultural experience?

Hate to be that guy, but why not the Florida Keys? Great beaches, great nightlife, and you're putting dollars back into our economy.

I travel quit a bit abroad, and culturally there's no substitute, but if you just want to drink daiquiris on the beach, I always feel a sense of responsibility to try and travel domestically (especially when using any tax refunds/incentives/breaks).

mikeyis4dcats.
02-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Are you just looking to relax, or do you want a cultural experience?

Hate to be that guy, but why not the Florida Keys? Great beaches, great nightlife, and you're putting dollars back into our economy.

I travel quit a bit abroad, and culturally there's no substitute, but if you just want to drink daiquiris on the beach, I always feel a sense of responsibility to try and travel domestically (especially when using any tax refunds/incentives/breaks).

uh, it's the same money you'd spend on Mexico if you didn't claim that extra exemption.

saphojunkie
02-21-2012, 11:59 AM

River cruises in Europe are sick awesome. Prague to Paris, and the whole time you're inland. As you travel at night, there are still towns to see on the river bank, but you still are in a town every day.

saphojunkie
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
uh, it's the same money you'd spend on Mexico if you didn't claim that extra exemption.

What exemption?

Mr. Plow
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
This has me thinking of planning a cruise for my wife & I. She's never been on one and has wanted to for awhile. Probably look at the Caribbean.

Buehler445
02-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Cruise it up dude. If all you want to do is relax, just take a cheap one, get a suite and chill.

And fuck your wife.

Old Dog
02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
This has me thinking of planning a cruise for my wife & I. She's never been on one and has wanted to for awhile. Probably look at the Caribbean.

I was about to book another one for the wifes birthday, but then last week I was asked to go TDY to Hawaii in May so the Mrs has to decide if she wants to do Hawaii, Vegas for a week when I go in July for a fantasy football draft, or a cruise for her B-day in October....she's gonna do two of the three, but she can't decide which one to leave out

tooge
02-21-2012, 12:09 PM
With your budget, did you ever consider anything in asia? Japan, Taiwan, Micronesia. I never wanted to go to asia till I lived in Japan for a year, and now I can't wait to go back. What about Austrailia or New Zealand? Your budget allows you to do things waaay cooler than mexico or a cruise.

Saulbadguy
02-21-2012, 12:57 PM
http://babysimpson.co.uk/info/leaflets/small/dabf09.jpg

Honestly - never been there. But that's where poor people/dumb people/hicks tell me to go to have a good time so I avoid it.

vailpass
02-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm still trying to get this straight-you travel but don't drink? Is that just during the daytime and then you have a few once it gets dark?

DaKCMan AP
02-21-2012, 01:16 PM
River cruises in Europe are sick awesome. Prague to Paris, and the whole time you're inland. As you travel at night, there are still towns to see on the river bank, but you still are in a town every day.

Eh. To me, one of the appeals of traveling internationally is to experience the culture at night. Take Barcelona, for instance. If you're on a cruise you're not going to be able to dine during the evening (they don't eat dinner until ~10PM) and then head out to a discotheque/bar/flamenco show. If I'm in the Caribbean eating meals on board is cool. If I'm in South America/Europe/Asia I want to eat at local restaurants, not on a cruise ship. You're also rushed in each city you visit. When I'm in Europe I want to see the sights, but not rushed. I want to be able to sit at a cafe & people watch in the morning, leisurely walk the streets, and not be tied to a compressed schedule of needing to be back on board at certain times.

El Jefe
02-21-2012, 01:24 PM
With your budget, did you ever consider anything in asia? Japan, Taiwan, Micronesia. I never wanted to go to asia till I lived in Japan for a year, and now I can't wait to go back. What about Austrailia or New Zealand? Your budget allows you to do things waaay cooler than mexico or a cruise.

Really? I thought 5-6k was a pretty low budget for a out of country vacation?

El Jefe
02-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm still trying to get this straight-you travel but don't drink? Is that just during the daytime and then you have a few once it gets dark?

I do not drink alky at all.

PunkinDrublic
02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Eh. To me, one of the appeals of traveling internationally is to experience the culture at night. Take Barcelona, for instance. If you're on a cruise you're not going to be able to dine during the evening (they don't eat dinner until ~10PM) and then head out to a discotheque/bar/flamenco show. If I'm in the Caribbean eating meals on board is cool. If I'm in South America/Europe/Asia I want to eat at local restaurants, not on a cruise ship. You're also rushed in each city you visit. When I'm in Europe I want to see the sights, but not rushed. I want to be able to sit at a cafe & people watch in the morning, leisurely walk the streets, and not be tied to a compressed schedule of needing to be back on board at certain times.

On top of that the places you do go to are the places that are accustomed to having swarms of tourists so their more likely to jack the prices up on you.

vailpass
02-21-2012, 01:30 PM
I do not drink alky at all.

Strictly a smoker eh?

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
I was about to book another one for the wifes birthday, but then last week I was asked to go TDY to Hawaii in May so the Mrs has to decide if she wants to do Hawaii, Vegas for a week when I go in July for a fantasy football draft, or a cruise for her B-day in October....she's gonna do two of the three, but she can't decide which one to leave out

Boy, with those three choices Vegas would be out the door faster than a Jamaal Charles sweep. But different people like different things, I guess.

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 01:35 PM

I think it's quite healthy for Europe, and you can also get other places like China (as Andchiefs noted) and easily to central America. Maybe South America, too. It won't get you an African Safari and I don't think it'll get you too far in Australia or Japan. Probably not India by the time you get there.

Old Dog
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Boy, with those three choices Vegas would be out the door faster than a Jamaal Charles sweep. But different people like different things, I guess.

I think that's the way she's leaning, but we just did a cruise last month and Hawaii about 18 months ago. She hasn't been to Vegas in four or five years.

MIAdragon
02-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Vegas is a fun weekend but not a vacation.

KC Tattoo
02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Cabo San Lucas and stay at the El Presidente. Great private resort and has hammocks & beach & all the dos equis you want. Just say dos and they bring it to you. The food was great & the tequilla will keel you but goes down smooth like water, I swear they keep the good stuff for themselves them bastads.

vailpass
02-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Vegas is a fun weekend but not a vacation.

Yep. Vegas is what you do between vacations.

AndChiefs
02-21-2012, 01:46 PM

Depends what you like doing. For example, I went to Peru/Bolivia for two and a half weeks without spending over 2k on the trip. That included a 4 day hike along the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu for $300-350. The hike had food, shelter (tents), guide, and pack carriers (it's the law you have to hire someone to carry your tents, food, etc.) provided for that price. Peru was around 3-to-1 for dollars at the time while Bolivia was around 7-to-1. China was 6.8-to-1 on one of my other trips.

Transportation is primarily your most expensive item when travelling on these kinds of trips. For example, my flights to China (I also had two flights while in China to move more quickly) were around $1200. For the rest of the trip I spent about $800. Of that $800, a vast majority was taken up with train tickets. It's amazing how cheap overseas travel can be.

However, it's very dependent on how you like to travel. If you want luxury all the time it's not going to be as cheap as mine were. I stay in adequate places with American toilets. Nice hotels will be a bit more.

Bearcat
02-21-2012, 02:03 PM

No, that's a pretty nice vacation, and it doesn't hurt to look. I was just clicking stuff and found a flight + hotel for 2 people for a week and a half in May (and Bangkok isn't expensive at all, unless you want to do something American like go to the Hard Rock Cafe)... I seriously doubt you would spend $2500 more in Bangkok, and you can probably find better deals on flight/hotel.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/bkk-1.png

El Jefe
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Strictly a smoker eh?

Don't smoke, drink or chew, and I don't run with girls who do! Reps to those who recognize that old song.

vailpass
02-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Don't smoke, drink or chew, and I don't run with girls who do! Reps to those who recognize that old song.

*shudder* I'm sure it works for you though. Have a great trip wherever you end up going.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-21-2012, 02:43 PM
No, that's a pretty nice vacation, and it doesn't hurt to look. I was just clicking stuff and found a flight + hotel for 2 people for a week and a half in May (and Bangkok isn't expensive at all, unless you want to do something American like go to the Hard Rock Cafe)... I seriously doubt you would spend $2500 more in Bangkok, and you can probably find better deals on flight/hotel.

teenage hookers!

El Jefe
02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Cabo San Lucas and stay at the El Presidente. Great private resort and has hammocks & beach & all the dos equis you want. Just say dos and they bring it to you. The food was great & the tequilla will keel you but goes down smooth like water, I swear they keep the good stuff for themselves them bastads.

If I wanted a cup of piss water I'd get it out of the toilet myself!!!! J/K

KC Tattoo
02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
If I wanted a cup of piss water I'd get it out of the toilet myself!!!! J/K

I don't drink piss water often, but when I do I prefure piss water out of the toilet / kcchiefsfanGoJC the most interesting man on Chiefs Planet / jk :)

Carlota69
02-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Im trying to talk my friends into this place as we speak...

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p967921

El Jefe
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Interesting. What would one do in Bangkok?

El Jefe
02-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I don't drink piss water often, but when I do I prefure piss water out of the toilet / kcchiefsfanGoJC the most interesting man on Chiefs Planet / jk :)

:thumb:

Bearcat
02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
teenage hookers!

I didn't go down that street.

Don't go down that street.

We did go into an otherwise modest looking restaurant that advertised BJs on the mirror behind the bar. We were all relieved when the 13yo kid with us didn't ask who BJ was...

KC Tattoo
02-21-2012, 02:54 PM
:thumb:

:D yea you set yourself up for that one.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Im trying to talk my friends into this place as we speak...

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p967921

hmm....seems for $1500pp per week you could stay at a luxury resort in Mexico.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
I didn't go down that street.

Don't go down that street.

We did go into an otherwise modest looking restaurant that advertised BJs on the mirror behind the bar. We were all relieved when the 13yo kid with us didn't ask who BJ was...

oh.....you brought your own so you didn't have to rent. Sneaky! :thumb:

Carlota69
02-21-2012, 03:03 PM
hmm....seems for $1500pp per week you could stay at a luxury resort in Mexico.
You probably could, but Puerto rRco is a commonwealth of the good ol US of A, and you dont need a passport--and it is fucking beautiful there! The food is amazing too.

Bowser
02-21-2012, 03:04 PM
We're looking at an all inclusive place in St. Lucia for four next year. It's pricy - 10Kish, but looks fantastic.

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 03:09 PM
We're looking at an all inclusive place in St. Lucia for four next year. It's pricy - 10Kish, but looks fantastic.

Are you staying for a month or is it really upper end?

Bearcat
02-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Interesting. What would one do in Bangkok?

There's the Grand Palace and other temples/palaces that are pretty unique to that area. There are a couple of night markets with food/music/nightlife and all the souvenirs you could ever want. There's Thai boxing, which I personally thought was overrated, but was told it was one of the things I had to see. There are river cruises and some pretty large theater productions, but I didn't do either. And eat... it's the best food in the world, and it generally costs you a few of dollars per meal (the Thai baht is 3% of a dollar, and IIRC, a meal in a decent cafe would be ~120 baht, or about $3.50.. and street vendors are cheaper).

That's just off the top of my head... it's been a couple of years, and I was there for work, so I didn't have a lot of time to play tourist. A good starting point would be here (http://wikitravel.org/en/Bangkok), and there's also this thread...
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=215808

Bearcat
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
oh.....you brought your own so you didn't have to rent. Sneaky! :thumb:

Walked into that one. :doh!:

patteeu
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Find a remote cabin on a lake in northern Canada to get away from it all. One of those places that you can only get to on a plane with pontoons instead of wheels.

Bowser
02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Are you staying for a month or is it really upper end?

Heh, a week. But that includes all travel expense, as well.

Pricy, to be sure. But what the heck. Can't take it with you, right?

Graystoke
02-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Why do you want to go to the Vatican?

oh...Vacation...got it

Mr. Plow
02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Heh, a week. But that includes all travel expense, as well.

Pricy, to be sure. But what the heck. Can't take it with you, right?

No, but you can loan some to your Jayhawk friend... ;)

Raiderhader
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I did ten days in Hawaii last year. My only regret is coming back. Absolutely loved it there. I want to return and visit some other islands.

Of course I also have this itch to scratch in the U.S. Virgin Islands.... Doesn't matter this year, pretty much been on my vacation for the past 5+ weeks.

Lumpy
02-21-2012, 11:06 PM
I've always wanted to visit Italy or Australia. I would love to spend a week just relaxing w/ Mr. Gonzo, (and perhaps we could take Gonzo Jr). I would love nothing more than to sip drinks on a balcony overlooking a beautiful city or countryside. Take long walks on a beach and interact w/ the locals.

Oops. Sorry. I got lost in lala land for a second there.

Wherever you decide to venture... enjoy every single second of it! There are some people that don't have the ability to escape from their jobs or have the financial means to travel and enjoy life.

thurman merman
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM

My wife and I have been to Punta Cana twice, and we're going back again this summer. We've looked into a bunch of other places internationally, but this just seems to be the best value for what you get. We have stayed at Dreams Putna Cana each time. I don't know how that compares to The Excellence, but those all-inclusive places are typically pretty awesome.

Rain Man
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
I've always wanted to visit Italy or Australia. I would love to spend a week just relaxing w/ Mr. Gonzo, (and perhaps we could take Gonzo Jr). I would love nothing more than to sip drinks on a balcony overlooking a beautiful city or countryside. Take long walks on a beach and interact w/ the locals.

If you're in Australia and take a long enough walk on the beach, you end up back at the car.

Lumpy
02-21-2012, 11:45 PM
If you're in Australia and take a long enough walk on the beach, you end up back at the car.

LMAO Yes, sir, now you're talking! We could Forrest Gump it and boogie down w/ some Aborigines, pick a fight w/ a Wallaby, oh and we can't forget to stop by the Sydney Opera House! :thumb:

DaKCMan AP
02-22-2012, 06:13 AM
There were four Aussies on our Inca Trek so now when I plan that trip I'll have some locals to help & meet up with. :thumb:

El Jefe
02-22-2012, 07:32 AM

Yeah, 10k is way too much for me for a vacation. Good for you though :thumb:

Amnorix
02-22-2012, 07:50 AM
I did ten days in Hawaii last year. My only regret is coming back. Absolutely loved it there. I want to return and visit some other islands.

Of course I also have this itch to scratch in the U.S. Virgin Islands.... Doesn't matter this year, pretty much been on my vacation for the past 5+ weeks.

+1 on Hawaii, and 5-6K was about what we spent when we went, but that was 10 years ago now, so I can't vouch that that will still cover it. That was a 10 day trip also.

If you do decide to go to Hawaii, then do some research and/or hit me up via PM -- the islands are VERY different from each other. It's not "let's go to a Hawaii -- just pick a couple of the islands who cares, an island is an island".

Raiderhader
02-22-2012, 09:40 AM
+1 on Hawaii, and 5-6K was about what we spent when we went, but that was 10 years ago now, so I can't vouch that that will still cover it. That was a 10 day trip also.

If you do decide to go to Hawaii, then do some research and/or hit me up via PM -- the islands are VERY different from each other. It's not "let's go to a Hawaii -- just pick a couple of the islands who cares, an island is an island".

That amount will still get you there and show you a decent time. I stayed on Oahu the entire time and drove ALL over the island. Plenty of things I missed out on, but plenty of things I saw that I wouldn't have seen if I'd taken a different approach.

The Big Island is next on my list. Volcano National Park and black sand beaches... what more could you want from a vacation?

Reerun_KC
02-22-2012, 09:43 AM
www.atlantis.com (http://www.atlantis.com)

We are looking at the one in the Bahamas

Rain Man
02-22-2012, 10:06 AM

I went to Maui last year and was expecting it to be a big ol' overbuilt tourist trap. Boy, was I wrong. There was certainly a lot of tourist infrastructure, but that place was really, really pleasant. In the back of my mind I was pondering if I could move our company there and just stay. I need to ask DaFace if he'd move to Hawaii with me.

lcarus
02-22-2012, 10:50 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3-KUj5SW4l0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>