PDA

View Full Version : Football Will Svitek: 13th Best Tackle in NFL? Gaither #8? Ouch.

T-post Tom
02-23-2012, 03:59 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1061841-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-tackles#/articles/1061841-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-tackles/page/21

Yikes. Higher than all other AFCW LTs? It took awhile, but Svitek found his spot. Maybe Tim Grunhard really does know something about playing on the offensive line. (And proof of yet another epic fail football take from the ex-CPer Mcdouche.)

And even worse for Chiefs' fans: Jared Gaither (ranked only on SD performance) is rated # 8. Which means KC has cast off two top tier LTs in recent years. Being unable to coach, and ultimately getting rid of Waters and Gaither, really hurt this team. Thanks Haley!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1061841-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-tackles#/articles/1061841-br-nfl-1000-top-32-left-tackles/page/26

BigMeatballDave
02-23-2012, 04:14 AM
LOL

The organization sucks balls.

Ultra Peanut
02-23-2012, 04:29 AM
siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

WhiteWhale
02-23-2012, 04:49 AM
Anyone who thinks Svitek is better than Brandon Albert should never talk about football again and consider hari kari so they can cling to what honor they have left.

T-post Tom
02-23-2012, 05:23 AM
Anyone who thinks Svitek is better than Brandon Albert should never talk about football again and consider hari kari so they can cling to what honor they have left.

Author Matt Miller's credentials: "Founder of the NFL draft site, New Era Scouting, Millerís work has been featured on NFL.com, SI.com and USA Today as well as utilized by NFL, CFL, and AFL teams. Miller is known for his in-depth scouting analysis and real-time breakdowns."

Agreed, that this is one person's opinion, but I'll take his analysis over yours until you can provide equal or better credentials.

Brainiac
02-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Author Matt Miller's credentials: "Founder of the NFL draft site, New Era Scouting, Millerís work has been featured on NFL.com, SI.com and USA Today as well as utilized by NFL, CFL, and AFL teams. Miller is known for his in-depth scouting analysis and real-time breakdowns."

Agreed, that this is one person's opinion, but I'll take his analysis over yours until you can provide equal or better credentials.

Did Matt Miller write that bio?

the Talking Can
02-23-2012, 07:23 AM
Albert is better than Svitek (has only started 12 games in 3 years) who benefits from playing with a real QB..but Svitek has, after many years, developed into a nfl starter...good for him

Albert had Palko handing off to Thomas Jones

just for giggles, Okung is ranked 26 (good job, saccofbats) and Clady is 27

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Svitek is wildly inconsistent. Not surprising for a converted player.

Furthermore, neither of them play RIGHT tackle so this discussion is useless.

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Seriously. Who the fuck cares about gaither. If he keeps his head on straight for a few years in a row then we'll talk. Baltimore is a pretty smart team and they got sick of the guy too. His reputation in Baltimore was that he was soft and unmotivated. I'm not going to let a few games change that opinion.

BoneKrusher
02-23-2012, 07:45 AM

and just imagine how good Albert would be with a QB that doesnt hold the Ball all day.

penguinz
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
and just imagine how good Albert would be with a QB that doesnt hold the Ball all day.Give Matt some credit. he does not hold the ball all day. he holds it for 7 seconds then hands it to the official to spot the ball for the next play.

Chiefnj2
02-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Svitek is wildly inconsistent. Not surprising for a converted player.

Furthermore, neither of them play RIGHT tackle so this discussion is useless.

I'm pretty sure Gaither played RT for a year or two in college. I'm not sure where all the "he can't play RT" crap comes from. I'm sure he prefers LT because the pay is generally better.

BoneKrusher
02-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Give Matt some credit. he does not hold the ball all day. he holds it for 7 seconds then hands it to the official to spot the ball for the next play.

;)

you're right. :thumb:

Sofa King
02-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Will Svitek was the biggest pile of shit when he was here. I was, and still am, ecstatic we cut that sieve piece of shit.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Gaither played RT for a year or two in college. I'm not sure where all the "he can't play RT" crap comes from. I'm sure he prefers LT because the pay is generally better.

Michael Lombardi said the Ravens told him at the time Gaither was let go that Gaither was TERRIBLE at RT.

Furthermore, Gaither has refused more than once to play RT.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Seriously. Who the **** cares about gaither. If he keeps his head on straight for a few years in a row then we'll talk. Baltimore is a pretty smart team and they got sick of the guy too. His reputation in Baltimore was that he was soft and unmotivated. I'm not going to let a few games change that opinion.

But, but, but...

KCrockaholic
02-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Why should anyone be mad at the Chiefs for allowing Svitek to go? He was a garbage player during his time in KC. Sometimes players evolve and improve. But that doesn't mean Svitek had any business staying.

Chiefnj2
02-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Michael Lombardi said the Ravens told him at the time Gaither was let go that Gaither was TERRIBLE at RT.

Furthermore, Gaither has refused more than once to play RT.

Do you have any links to those stories?

IIRC when he was moved to RT he injured his back before the first preseason game.

Plus, Richardson was the worst RT in the league. I have a terribly hard time believing that Gaither was going to be worse than Richardson if given the chance.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Do you have any links to those stories?

He said it on the radio. Feel free to peruse the podcasts at www.810whb.com.

Plus, Richardson was the worst RT in the league. I have a terribly hard time believing that Gaither was going to be worse than Richardson if given the chance.

Gaither told the Ravens he would not play RT. What makes you think being on the Chiefs would change that?

Brock
02-23-2012, 09:22 AM
The talent pool at tackle must be pretty shitty if we're missing Will Svitek.

WV
02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Ahhh...hindsight, good for a thread on CP but pretty useless in real life just like Svitek was as a Chief.

Coogs
02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Don't have time to read the article, so this may be way off base, but I am going to throw it out there anyway.

KC O-line sacks allowed with Cassel at QB... eleventy billion

Same KC O-line with Orton at QB last 3 games... one

tredadda
02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
If we had drafted Brady in the first round way back when, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But we passed on him 5 times. Hindsight, it was a bad decision. That doesn't change the opinions about him at the time. Similar to Svitek. Regardless of how good he might be now, when he was a Chief he was awful and I do not blame management for dropping him.

Chiefnj2
02-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Gaither told the Ravens he would not play RT. What makes you think being on the Chiefs would change that?

He had no option this last year. The Ravens released him and he failed Oakland's physical. KC was in the perfect position to plug him in at RT and see what happens.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 09:43 AM
He had no option this last year. The Ravens released him and he failed Oakland's physical. KC was in the perfect position to plug him in at RT and see what happens.

Except that he's publicly stated he won't play right tackle.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
As for not having options, you're obviously wrong.

Refuse to play right tackle, get cut, land in San Diego, where they are now considering cutting Marcus McNeil.

Gaither is going to get paid this offseason, as a starting LEFT tackle, somewhere.

The whole talk about him playing right tackle is laughable.

Chiefnj2
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM

Link? Especially from when he was in KC.

Brock
02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I don't doubt that he didn't want to play RT, so I'm not really sure what he was doing here to begin with. I mean, I would think you might ask the guy if he's willing before bringing him in.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Link? Especially from when he was in KC.

Again, feel free to browse the podcasts at www.810whb.com.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't doubt that he didn't want to play RT, so I'm not really sure what he was doing here to begin with. I mean, I would think you might ask the guy if he's willing before bringing him in.

Unless they never had any intention of asking him to play RT.

Chiefnj2
02-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Q: Can Gaither play both sides?
HALEY: ďYeah, heís done that so thatís the good thing we have. We have three guys, and those three that have shown very good position flexibility. Again, it is what it is right now, Iím just excited that [No.] 71 is making progress and getting better and getting up to speed.Ē

Okie_Apparition
02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
After Gaither cashes that LT contract check
He will more than likely play just well enough to not get cut
maybe

KC Tattoo
02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
It was stupid to get rid of Gaither mid season, but he is going have back troubles so really we can hopefully do better. We need depth at that spot, if we had a decent QB & our RB didn't go down Barry Richardson would have looked 10x better. I'm not pining for Barry Richardson to be starter, he is servicable but this whole team would be better with a QB that can play QB so imo several players got a bad wrap just from piss poor QB play.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Q: Can Gaither play both sides?
HALEY: ďYeah, heís done that so thatís the good thing we have. We have three guys, and those three that have shown very good position flexibility. Again, it is what it is right now, Iím just excited that [No.] 71 is making progress and getting better and getting up to speed.Ē

The consensus here is that Haley is crazy.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Gr8l-gkaqfp_eQvXz06IXDSlp-ka9D_-4nFlYe_BVjYAytXo

BossChief
02-23-2012, 11:19 AM

I seem to remember Gaithers first interview after being signed and saying he was willing to play on the left or right side.

Also, I have been a Albert fan since the day he was drafted, but also acknowledged that Gaither is an elite LT when healthy.

People threw rocks at me on here when I suggested that Albert should have been slid inside last year and that Gaither should be put at LT....strictly to maximize the talent we had on the OL.

Gaither
Albert
Hudson
Asamoah
________

That is a fucking outstanding and extremely young line with ELITE talents at 4 line positions.

But, oh well.

Next year, Albert will want out and we will probably spend a first round pick on a left tackle instead of quarterback.

FML

EDIT****

I wonder what Herb Taylor is doing these days. haha

scho63
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/

16. Kansas City Chiefs (10th)

Run Rank 27th, Pass Rank 9th, Penalties Rank 13th

How much better would this line have been without one player letting them down? Aside from the right tackle spot, the entire line graded positively, doing a particular good job of protecting whoever was behind center. Without Jamaal Charles, the lineís inability to consistently open up decent-sized running lanes came to the fore all too often. This remains a key area that the Chiefs need to improve on.

Best Player: A big third year for Branden Albert (+4.4) who was extremely impressive in pass protection, finishing the season third in our Pass Blocking Efficiency ranking for all blindside tackles.

Worst Player: Itís imperative that this line moves on from Barry Richardson (-39.1). Heís just not good enough at this level.

Like that's a real suprise :doh!:

BigRichard
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM

I keep hearing people say that but they never back it up with facts.

htismaqe
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
I seem to remember Gaithers first interview after being signed and saying he was willing to play on the left or right side.

Also, I have been a Albert fan since the day he was drafted, but also acknowledged that Gaither is an elite LT when healthy.

People threw rocks at me on here when I suggested that Albert should have been slid inside last year and that Gaither should be put at LT....strictly to maximize the talent we had on the OL.

Gaither
Albert
Hudson
Asamoah
________

That is a ****ing outstanding and extremely young line with ELITE talents at 4 line positions.

But, oh well.

Next year, Albert will want out and we will probably spend a first round pick on a left tackle instead of quarterback.

FML

EDIT****

I wonder what Herb Taylor is doing these days. haha

You're assuming Gaither would

1) remain healthy and
2) remain motivated once he got a new contract (and he would have gotten a new contract if he were the starting LT)

Neither of those are probable, given his history.

philfree
02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Gaither was a backup in KC and when he was called upon he wasn't ready. As a starter for SD he probably prepared better because he new he was on the field. I bet his back starts acting up as soon as he gets his contract signed and he's a bum all summer. Then when the season starts he won't be able to practice much during the week but he'll suddenly feel better on saturdays...

I ain't losing no sleep over Gaither. How many games did he play for SD? And he's ranked 8th. Totally worthless ranking.

the Talking Can
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/

16. Kansas City Chiefs (10th)

Run Rank 27th, Pass Rank 9th, Penalties Rank 13th

How much better would this line have been without one player letting them down? Aside from the right tackle spot, the entire line graded positively, doing a particular good job of protecting whoever was behind center. Without Jamaal Charles, the lineís inability to consistently open up decent-sized running lanes came to the fore all too often. This remains a key area that the Chiefs need to improve on.

Best Player: A big third year for Branden Albert (+4.4) who was extremely impressive in pass protection, finishing the season third in our Pass Blocking Efficiency ranking for all blindside tackles.

Worst Player: Itís imperative that this line moves on from Barry Richardson (-39.1). Heís just not good enough at this level.

Like that's a real suprise :doh!:

BRich is some kind of record for suck

but considering our run game struggles, and that we had Cassel and Palko at QB for most of the season, the 9th pass ranking is quite impressive...

if BRich were even average that would be higher...

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-23-2012, 01:40 PM
We already have a pretty good LT, so I really don't give a fuck. Good for them I guess.

Mr. Laz
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
i don't understand the Gaithers issue

maybe he wanted to only play left tackle and the Chiefs refused to move Alberts

maybe Gaithers refused to practice hard and the coaches didnt' want to play a guy who didn't practice right.

as for Svitek, the chiefs try to give him time to convert from defense to offense and they just had to move on.

crying or trying to blame someone for either is just silly

BossChief
02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Laz, why in blue hell do you always add an s to Gaither and Albert?

alpha_omega
02-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Svitek, huh? What about Jordan Black...is he still playing?

Mr. Laz
02-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Bosschief, why in the blue hell do you care if i misspell a players name?

BossChief
02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I just thought it was strange is all

Mr. Laz
02-23-2012, 02:52 PM
I just thought it was strange is alljust me being too lazy to worry about it.

i think i have tendency to add an 's' to every name tbh :D

gblowfish
02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
This info just makes me think that most tackles in the NFL really suck.

Tombstone RJ
02-23-2012, 08:01 PM

where's the link to this bio?

jspchief
02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
13th out of 32 is "top tier"?

chiefzilla1501
02-23-2012, 08:22 PM

So a good team cut him (and trust me, it's not because of a depth problem.) And a bad team who takes anybody didn't think he was physically fit (yet a broke dick QB was worth 2 high picks).

But by all means, this was a no-brainer to start him and keep him.