PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Best case to keep from being tracked

synthesis2
02-23-2012, 09:56 PM
so our company is going to Ipads for all of us and its our understanding that they will moniter pretty close where we are all of the time.

I know even if you disable the wireless and turn it off they can still find out where you are.

Is there a type of case you can buy that is made of a material that cell / gps signals can't pass thru so you can put it in the case while you are not using it so they don't watch your every move?

I know they have to make something like that just can't find it. Thought I would ask everyone here if they knew of something?

SPchief
02-23-2012, 09:57 PM
IN

BryanBusby
02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey Todd, you work for the Steelers now brah.

Let it go

Inmem58
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Hey Todd, you work for the Steelers now brah.

Let it go

Winner

Baconeater
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Obvious answer is...don't go somewhere where you're not supposed to be.

WV
02-23-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't understand your problem. It's a work issued iPad, seems pretty clear to me.

-King-
02-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Wrap it in foil and stick it in the microwave for 7 minutes. Has to be exactly 7 for the tracking chip to be deactivated.

MIAdragon
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
http://californiaexaminer.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/ax_murderer_in_china.png

WV
Wrap it in foil and stick it in the microwave for 7 minutes. Has to be exactly 7 for the tracking chip to be deactivated.

You forgot the antifreeze dip.

chefsos
I don't know anything about the technology, but I'd think that you going out there and disappearing is nearly as bad as going somewhere you're not supposed to be.

Pitt Gorilla
02-23-2012, 10:03 PM
No, they can track it regardless of case. It's actually a great safety feature of the iPad. Without my 4-digit code, my iPad is virtually un-stealable. I can track where it is anytime online.

Predarat
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Stop working for Gestapo Nazis and you won't have this problem.

Saulbadguy
02-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Want some foil, coach?

chefsos
02-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Teach a monkey to go where you ought to, tape the phone to his back, then resume fucking around on the job.

Fish
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
The only way to "track" it per say, is to install Find My Ipad. And that is a legit app from Apple tied to the iTunes account that is synced with the iPad. It's a nice feature. But it can't really be leveraged to spy on you by other people.

There are also location sharing apps available that will share your location with others. But it's only people you give access too. If anything, just reset your iPad when you get it, and sync it to your own computer, and there is no way they can legally monitor your location.

Baconeater
02-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Second nearly-just-as-obvious answer: Leave the iPad where you're supposed to be when you go somewhere where you're not supposed to be.

RustShack
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Where are you going to take your iPad? Home? Doesn't your employer know your address SSN, and all that jazz?

Also I don't think your employer can do that, unless they work for like Google or Apple or something like that, in which case they already can do that.

J Diddy
02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Second nearly-just-as-obvious answer: Leave the iPad where you're supposed to be when you go somewhere where you're not supposed to be.

See I was going to say leave it at home when you're at the strip club, but this works too.

Predarat
02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Loan it to MTG10 and watch your bosses get some federal pound em in the ass prison action.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Sell it to the Fedex courier, Purchase your own personal Ipad then when the boss comes crying foul show him you were right where you were supposed to be all along.

Profit.

bevischief
02-24-2012, 06:14 AM
If you blocked the signal they would know something was up.

oldman
02-24-2012, 06:25 AM
If it's a company-owned asset, they have every right to track that asset. That's been fought and unions lost. I'll echo, just don't go where you're not supposed to be.

LiveSteam
02-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Stick it up your ass,& see what they think of about that

kcwizards
02-24-2012, 06:32 AM
People are just paranoid.

bevischief
02-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Why do you care if they monitor you?

Dartgod
02-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Leave it at home when you go to Independence to buy your meth.

cabletech94
02-24-2012, 06:46 AM
what do you have to worry about? really.
you are glad you have a job, right?
i mean, if you're trying to hide a body and all, i get it.
i just hope that's not your reason.

patteeu
02-24-2012, 07:26 AM
so our company is going to Ipads for all of us and its our understanding that they will moniter pretty close where we are all of the time.

I know even if you disable the wireless and turn it off they can still find out where you are.

Is there a type of case you can buy that is made of a material that cell / gps signals can't pass thru so you can put it in the case while you are not using it so they don't watch your every move?

I know they have to make something like that just can't find it. Thought I would ask everyone here if they knew of something?

How would they track it if it's turned off?

htismaqe
02-24-2012, 07:28 AM
How would they track it if it's turned off?

Most mobile devices nowaday's maintain their "heartbeat" even when powered off.

The only sure way to end all communication is to remove the battery.

synthesis2
02-24-2012, 07:31 AM
This is why I am asking the question, its not that I'm worried about where I am at, and I agree that if its their asset then they have every right to track it.

Basically I am asking if there is a briefcase that I would carry it in that is made of a material that would make it while it is in the case that it couldn't be tracked.

Thats all, there has to to something like that out there, or is it illegal to have a briefcase made of a material that can do that?

That was the question, nothing more

durtyrute
02-24-2012, 07:35 AM
You are always being tracked, so it doesn't matter.

patteeu
02-24-2012, 07:41 AM
This is why I am asking the question, its not that I'm worried about where I am at, and I agree that if its their asset then they have every right to track it.

Basically I am asking if there is a briefcase that I would carry it in that is made of a material that would make it while it is in the case that it couldn't be tracked.

Thats all, there has to to something like that out there, or is it illegal to have a briefcase made of a material that can do that?

There are cell phone jammers available (probably illegal in most states) so something like that ought to work, although it might interfere with the people around you too.

Alvin
02-24-2012, 07:42 AM

If you get that case you will find out what is thought of it when you try to fly with it.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-24-2012, 07:52 AM
There are cell phone jammers available (probably illegal in most states) so something like that ought to work, although it might interfere with the people around you too.

it's not a cell signal.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-24-2012, 07:53 AM
http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/04/how-to-disable-location-tracking-on-your-iphone-and-ipad-3g/

Gonzo
02-24-2012, 07:55 AM
People are just paranoid.

Wrong. And you owe me a PM if you want to continue posting here.
Posted via Mobile Device

asdf
02-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Now you got me interested if such a thing exists so I had to search...
:)

http://fine-silver-productsnet.com/smmirfshcobr.html

Gonzo
02-24-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't trust that shit for a second. (Apps that block signals)

Find a lead case and wear gloves. My company tried to do this a while back, but in my line of business there are too many paranoid fuckers so it didn't work out.

Edit:
By paranoid, I mean twitchy about big brother. I work for a security firm.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRichard
02-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Just take the battery out when you don't want to be tracked. If it doesn't have power they can't track it.

Or as someone else mentioned, reset it to a factory default settings. I use an Android and can do it, I can only assume that you can with an IPhone as well. If you don't have the software to track it then they won't be able to do it.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-24-2012, 08:25 AM
as I understand it the tracking isn't realtime. It's continuously saved to a file locally then uploaded via iTunes. The App above constantly overwrites the file, so it only shows your last location, not the history.

big nasty kcnut
02-24-2012, 08:30 AM
Instead of cheating the system tell your boss that it's an invasion of privacy. tell them you understand their fears but you don't need the company knowing where your going all the time.

patteeu
02-24-2012, 09:18 AM
it's not a cell signal.

It has to be if it works while it's turned off. Your iPad can't log itself onto a protected WiFi.

patteeu
02-24-2012, 09:19 AM
as I understand it the tracking isn't realtime. It's continuously saved to a file locally then uploaded via iTunes. The App above constantly overwrites the file, so it only shows your last location, not the history.

OK, well that's interesting.

Buck
02-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Leave that bitch at work and never use it.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-24-2012, 09:25 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2011/04/20/cool-or-creepy-your-iphone-and-ipad-are-keeping-track-of-everywhere-you-go-and-you-can-see-it/

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/apple-tracks-location-iphone-ipad-data-researchers/story?id=13420041&page=3

Brainiac
02-24-2012, 09:27 AM

I'm not aware of any material or briefcase that will do what you are asking.

However, all you have to do is go into "Settings" on your iPad and turn "Location Services" off. That will accomplish what you're trying to do.

Is there still some top secret way that Apple can track the location of your iPad if you turn location services off? I don't know. But even if there is, your employer doesn't have access to it.

WV
02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
What you need is a degausser. That will fix it right up.

vailpass
02-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Want some foil, coach?

old time hockey eh?
:thumb:

HemiEd
02-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Obvious answer is...don't go somewhere where you're not supposed to be.

It would really suck to be an outside salesman these days.

I used to call in via pay phone once a day if I got around to it. They would get cranky if I missed two days in a row.

Discuss Thrower
02-24-2012, 10:26 AM
I feel like we need a take from Midnight Vulture...

vailpass
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Just have someone you know carry it for you. But make sure it isn't a girls especially a pregnant one.

Fritz88
02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
The surefire way is to dip it in rice for 3 days.

Dry rice.

Okie_Apparition
02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
A new side business for dogwalkers

bevischief
02-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Just take the battery out when you don't want to be tracked. If it doesn't have power they can't track it.

Or as someone else mentioned, reset it to a factory default settings. I use an Android and can do it, I can only assume that you can with an IPhone as well. If you don't have the software to track it then they won't be able to do it.

Wrong there is a GPS receiver in all cell phones sold today. How do you think 911 works on a cell phone.?

mikeyis4dcats.
02-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Wrong there is a GPS receiver in all cell phones sold today. How do you think 911 works on a cell phone.?

having had the sad occassion to require law enforcement assistance in finding a phone before, they still rely on tower location.

Fish
02-24-2012, 11:11 AM

Wrong... the GPS chip requires power to work. It's not possible to track a phone that is completely powered off. Tracking requires that the phone transmit info back to the source, which cannot be done without power.

911 calls don't use GPS anyway. And 911 also will not work when the phone has no power. 911 will work on any phone even if the service has been disconnected. That may be what you're thinking of. But it still must have power to do so.

Mr. Laz
02-24-2012, 11:13 AM
leave the Ipad in your office?

:shrug:

bevischief
02-24-2012, 11:15 AM
having had the sad occassion to require law enforcement assistance in finding a phone before, they still rely on tower location.

Older technology like TDMA and GSM. CDMA, UMTS AND LTE use GPS. I work for phone company and have taken those calls before.

bevischief
02-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Wrong... the GPS chip requires power to work. It's not possible to track a phone that is completely powered off. Tracking requires that the phone transmit info back to the source, which cannot be done without power.

911 calls don't use GPS anyway. And 911 also will not work when the phone has no power. 911 will work on any phone even if the service has been disconnected. That may be what you're thinking of. But it still must have power to do so.

Well no shit, I never said anything about it being powered on or off.

Blindside58
02-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Start a thread or do a google search...start a thread or do a google search...start a thread or do a google search....hhhmmmmm....which one....which...one...hmmmm.....got it!...

Fish
02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Well no shit, I never said anything about it being powered on or off.

I misunderstood your response. Sorry.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Older technology like TDMA and GSM. CDMA, UMTS AND LTE use GPS. I work for phone company and have taken those calls before.

As of August 2010, Sprint (CDMA ) network still used the tower.

Valiant
02-24-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree with leave at work.

If you are worried about browsing histort. Use your own device.

scho63
02-24-2012, 11:59 AM
My recommendation: first moment you get the iPad head to the nearest titty bar that is near a customer's office, stay for 3 hours, use cash. Then sit back and see what happens. If they say why did you spend 3 hours in a go-go bar, tell them you were at ABC company with a customer and their GPS is wrong.

synthesis2
02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
so i work in outside sales and we have to have it with us pretty much most of the time.

Its not at all about just do your job etc.

I google searched it and couldn't find anything like it.

But it was a pretty simple quesiton, is there a type of briefcase you can purchase that don't allow anything to pass thru it?

There may not be and thats fine, just curious.

Psyko Tek
02-24-2012, 07:01 PM
The only way to "track" it per say, is to install Find My Ipad. And that is a legit app from Apple tied to the iTunes account that is synced with the iPad. It's a nice feature. But it can't really be leveraged to spy on you by other people.

There are also location sharing apps available that will share your location with others. But it's only people you give access too. If anything, just reset your iPad when you get it, and sync it to your own computer, and there is no way they can legally monitor your location.

if they gave it to him for work
yeah they can monitor it's usage
legally
whether they o or not is different

AustinChief
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
http://www.jemic.com/rf-pouch.html

You can buy a premade RF shielded case... OR you can find a case you like and just line the bejeezus out of it with at least TWO types of RF shielding material.

http://www.lessemf.com/fabric.html

It's funny, but there isn't really that much out there for sale... given the current culture of concern over privacy... there is probably a pretty good market for this.

Psyko Tek
02-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Leave that bitch at work and never use it.

this

Deberg_1990
02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Faraday Cage

CHENZ A!
02-24-2012, 07:16 PM
go to a lake. throw it in.

AustinChief
02-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Faraday Cage

Nick's British cousin.. true fact!

AustinChief
02-24-2012, 07:21 PM
http://www.faradaybag.com/laptop-shield.html

RJ
02-24-2012, 09:17 PM
so i work in outside sales and we have to have it with us pretty much most of the time.

Its not at all about just do your job etc.

I google searched it and couldn't find anything like it.

But it was a pretty simple quesiton, is there a type of briefcase you can purchase that don't allow anything to pass thru it?

There may not be and thats fine, just curious.

Can't you just leave it at your last sales call, head to the golf course and come back to pick it up after you finish 18?

WhiteWhale
02-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Sounds like the company is tracking their property... not you.

I don't see the problem.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Sounds like the company is tracking their property... not you.

I don't see the problem.

nobody's tracking anyone....he's just paranoid.

Sanka
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/fleshlipad-censored.jpg

MOhillbilly
02-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Lead lined briefcase and tin foil hats.

Fish
02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
if they gave it to him for work
yeah they can monitor it's usage
legally
whether they o or not is different

I'm saying the only way his work could monitor it's usage is if they set it up with their iTunes account instead of his iTunes account. You can't track somebody else without permission from their iTunes account. So if he just erased it and set it up with his iTunes account, there's no way his work could track it by legal means. They'd have to do something illegal in order to track it at that point.

Iowanian
02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
I think you should just go the fark where you're supposed to be when you're doing the job they are paying you to do.

If you're not, you pretty much deserve to be monitored. If I feel someone needs to be tracked, they're going to be unemployed soon.

synthesis2
02-25-2012, 05:55 PM
your missing my point completly, I am not worried in the least about them tracking me, I am just wondering if something like that exists, thats all.

Easy 6
02-25-2012, 06:12 PM
I dont know, but i wish people would stop using the Chiefs arrow icon for non-football topics.