PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Golf in California

crazycoffey
02-24-2012, 03:19 AM
I'm in the Bay area for some army reserves training, Hotel is in Concord - outside of Oakland. If you were here and had a few days to go do stuff, what would you do? or suggest I do?

I like the thought of going to San Francisco, and Alcatraz of course. I do have thoughts of Napa valley for a winery or two. Other tourist attraction ideas are also welcome.

I have a buddy who is making a trip from Tahoe and we're thinking of playing golf this weekend. Tilden comes up as a good rated course on a yahoo search and I'm seeing many courses on golfnow.com in the area.

Anyone living around here or who has visited before, please give me some feedback on a good golf course. Pestilence, you are welcome to join if you want, probably Sunday morning.

Okie_Apparition
02-24-2012, 06:06 AM
Wipe your boyfriends love from your eyes & google
you quail egg sucking tundra glass snake

oldman
02-24-2012, 06:18 AM
I've played Boundary Oak in Walnut Creek. Pretty nice mix of holes and I think it was in the $25-35 range.
If you're going to Alcatraz, you'll be leaving from Pier 39 which is a lot of fun in itself. If you have a lot of time, take the wine train.

DaKCMan AP
02-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Explore San Fran + Napa. You could also check out Muir Woods.

HemiEd
02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Half Moon Bay (http://hmbgolflinks.com/) is one of finest courses anywhere. We used to call it the poor mans Pebble Beach when the green fees were about $65, but it has been commercialized a lot since then. Probably pretty high now.

If you can "swing it" I would highly recommend the track.

I have played it a half dozen times, and it is the one we went to play when the Raider's office told us not to come to the game as Chiefs fans.

***edit*** If you have time, treat yourself at the Tadich Grill. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadich_Grill) It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

scho63
02-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Half Moon Bay (http://hmbgolflinks.com/) is one of finest courses anywhere. We used to call it the poor mans Pebble Beach when the green fees were about $65, but it has been commercialized a lot since then. Probably pretty high now.

***edit*** If you have time, treat yourself at the Tadich Grill. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadich_Grill) It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Two great recommendations! :thumb:

I lived in San Francisco for two years and Mountain View for the following three.

Here are some great places, depending how much traveling around you are up for:

Golf-

Harding Park in SF
Wente Vineyards in Livermore, which is a Greg Norman course and vineyard
Cinnabar Hills in South San Jose off Almaden no houses, incredible course and views, 3 nines that they rotate. A hidden gem of a course
Black Horse and Bayonet in Monterey-they host the Nike Tour Championship and the course is balls long and hard and great
Stonetree Golf Course in Novato, across the Golden Gate-if you play this course your next stop is Sam's in Tiburon for drinks on the water over looking San Francisco

[/LIST]

Vineyards in Napa:

Domaine Carneros on Duhig Rd is phenomenal with great Champagne, incredible Chateau, gorgeous views, and a house red called Front Gate they only sell at the vineyard
Cakebread Cellars
Chimney Rock
Grgich Hills
Peju
Trefethon

Food Places:

Il Fornaio in Levi's Plaza for Italian
Boulevard for a great lamb shank or veal chop
Fleur de Lys for French and romantic
Pleouf if you are a lover of mussels
Yank Sing in the Rincon Center if you like Dim Sum
House of Prime Rib on Geary is great
Top of the Mark in the Intercontinental Hotel for a martini and incredible view of the city

Hope that helps!

Buck
02-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Pebble Beach is only a 2 hour drive.

scho63
02-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Pebble Beach is only a 2 hour drive.

Tee times are usually booked over two months in advance and now I believe it is over $500 and you MUST stay there to play which is another $450 a night.

That's $1,000 for a round of golf

crazycoffey
02-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the information, I'm exploring those options now to make a decision. I did get through Half Moon, the ocean course looks very appealing, but for 180 a person, I may not go that direction. Then again, I may just say screw it and splurge.

Looking up other suggestions now.

HemiEd
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the information, I'm exploring those options now to make a decision. I did get through Half Moon, the ocean course looks very appealing, but for 180 a person, I may not go that direction. Then again, I may just say screw it and splurge.

The ocean course is all we ever played, and I would gladly play it again for $180, it is that nice. Some of the views are spectacular.

scho63
02-24-2012, 02:31 PM

The prices here are great but you need a car to get here from SF

http://www.wentevineyards.com/golf/

crazycoffey
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM

Just made reservations here for sunday, I appreciate all the information, this one looks like the best all around choice for location to his family that he's visiting and where I'm at, price, view and I like Norman. We came real close to the stonetree too.

Half moon is just too far for all the stuff going on, but I am certainly going to keep it in mind for a golf outing with dad and/or my brother someday when I have more free time than the army gives me on these things.

HemiEd
02-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Looks very nice! One thing I learned about California Golf, be patient. They have a lot of people.

Stewie
02-24-2012, 04:01 PM

This. Then check out California, the US and planet earth. It's a doable recommendation with no detail. And when visiting Colorado be sure to see the mountains... you might miss it if I didn't tell you to check it out.

vailpass
02-24-2012, 04:38 PM
This. Then check out California, the US and planet earth. It's a doable recommendation with no detail. And when visiting Colorado be sure to see the mountains... you might miss it if I didn't tell you to check it out.

LMAO

scho63
02-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Just made reservations here for sunday, I appreciate all the information, this one looks like the best all around choice for location to his family that he's visiting and where I'm at, price, view and I like Norman. We came real close to the stonetree too.

Half moon is just too far for all the stuff going on, but I am certainly going to keep it in mind for a golf outing with dad and/or my brother someday when I have more free time than the army gives me on these things.

You should have a real nice time. I don't expect it to be mobbed-this is slack time there

Have fun and take some photos-I'm jealous!

scho63
02-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Looks very nice! One thing I learned about California Golf, be patient. They have a lot of people.

It's funny, I have had little issues with slow play or over crowded courses in CA. I do have a tendency to play upscale daily fee courses as opposed to local muni's, which get real crowded

KChiefer
02-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Muir Woods FTW! There's a group called The Tourist Club that's open to the public a weekend or two a month. They serve beer and sit atop the park, so it's a nice place to hike up to and take an easier walk back after having a few. Regardless if they're open, one should hike it. A great alternative, if you can't get to Yosemite.

As for golfing, I went to places in Alameda and Oakland. Alameda was "links" which was nice, but Lake Chabot in Oakland was memorable! It had a par 3 with the green so far below, you couldn't see it from your tee(I stuck it! *brags*) It also had a Par 6, a first for me.

KChiefer
02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
The patio of the Claremont Hotel in Berkley is a nice place to have a drink with a spectacular view. Alameda has a vodka distillery where you can taste and buy absinthe if you've never. SF has the Anchor Steam Brewery.

Even with all the great smoke out there, they make the drinking awfully fun!

Taking the ferry from Oakland to SF is scenic and drops you near Att Park.

Frazod
02-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Too bad it's the wrong time of year, I'd suggest Yosemite. But you'd need at least a couple of days and I would imagine a good portion of the roads are buried.

WilliamTheIrish
02-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Too bad it's the wrong time of year, I'd suggest Yosemite. But you'd need at least a couple of days and I would imagine a good portion of the roads are buried.

Absolutely no snow. You can get anywhere in any vehicle.

Frazod
02-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Absolutely no snow. You can get anywhere in any vehicle.

No shit. Well, then my recommendation is FUCK GOLF, which you can play anywhere, and go to Yosemite. :thumb:

crazycoffey
02-25-2012, 01:19 AM
No shit. Well, then my recommendation is FUCK GOLF, which you can play anywhere, and go to Yosemite. :thumb:

ROFL, Well - another idea to keep if I get cut loose from Uncle Sam's cage again. I am stuck at the mercy of public transportation, unless I can get Pest to take notice of the this thread and come pick me up.

crazycoffey
02-27-2012, 02:20 AM
You should have a real nice time. I don't expect it to be mobbed-this is slack time there

Have fun and take some photos-I'm jealous!

Had a wonderful time, I thought the views were pretty damn nice and I'm sure they are even better when the grapes are a growing. Here are some pics of the first hole, tee box and green.

I hit a horrible ball on my very first swing. Playing with my buddies old set of sticks, on a new course, first hole nerves and I completely heeled it. The ball just barely made it to the white tee box, and not even close to the red tees. My buddy throws me another ball and says, "you can take at least one mulligan on this course playing with my old clubs." So I ree-tee and hit a beautiful shot almost right down the gut, it was just a touch to the left side, right before the left edge of the rough curves into the fairway.

I know I'm not a great player, but I respect the etiquette and wish I could play more. I have this philosophy when I play; I only need ONE "really good hole", and it doesn't even have to be on the same hole. You know, one great drive, one great long iron, one great pitch and one great putt - spread out on 5 holes isn't a bad goal for a golf outing. Especially when I haven't played in almost 3 years.

The second picture is where my second shot, a 139 yard 7 iron, stopped rolling. Right about 9-10 yards from the hole. I have right now decided, this is a great golf day. I try not to let the thoughts of a first hole birdie mindfuck me. I tried. The thought enters my mind anyway, and you know how it goes now.

The greens are spectacular! Off season, "winter" months, and I can tell not all the players before me today fix their divots, but the greens are still top notch. The only thing is, they are a little fast (and because the terrain is hilly) they are easily the hardest damn greens to read I have ever putted on. I heard "I thought that would break" and "how did that break?" all day from all the players around me. And I said it many times myself.

Anyway, I three putt and walk toward the second tee box with a boogie. I only got two pars all day, and was only putting for birdie on two other occasions. Still had a blast though...

crazycoffey
02-27-2012, 02:30 AM
more pictures, first a cart path from somewhere near the 9th green on the way to the 10th tee. It's even called Lombard Street. Probably not an accident.

The second pic is the sunset overlooking the 15 green and from the 16 tee box. We were running out of light quickly.

scho63
03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
more pictures, first a cart path from somewhere near the 9th green on the way to the 10th tee. It's even called Lombard Street. Probably not an accident.

The second pic is the sunset overlooking the 15 green and from the 16 tee box. We were running out of light quickly.

That Lombard Street cart path is legendary. I wanted you to be surprised by that.

How was the food? It was very good when I ate there. I ate on the patio over looking the 18th green

I'm jealous!

Pestilence
03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you man. We've been crazy busy with the new house and work. How much longer do you have?

MahiMike
03-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I didn't get to play when I was there but they have a course right at the trail of Golden Gate. On the water with views of the bridge. Nice.

crazycoffey
03-01-2012, 08:26 PM
That Lombard Street cart path is legendary. I wanted you to be surprised by that.

How was the food? It was very good when I ate there. I ate on the patio over looking the 18th green

I'm jealous!

We finished as the daylight faded and the patio was closed. Too cold to sit outside and eat too. But I saw the patio area you are talking about and could see that missing it took from the enjoyment.

Pest, I'm here until the 6th. Off tonight too.... A few of us are talking about going somewhere to get some drinks.

listopencil
03-01-2012, 10:41 PM
This is about 90 minutes North of Sacramento:

http://www.sevillanolinks.com/

listopencil
03-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Looking on Mapquest it's under 3 hours from SF.