PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Crennel forms connection with RG3 in Combine interview

NIUhuskies
02-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Crennel forms connection with RG3 in Combine interview

http://www.kcchiefs.com/assets/images/imported/KC/photos/article-images/rg3_250_2_25_12.jpg

The Chiefs also met with Stanford QB Andrew Luck and Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill

INDIANAPOLIS, IN – Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel could have talked to Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III for hours Friday night, but the air horn at the Crowne Plaza Hotel blared after just 15 minutes. The Chiefs time with the most captivating player at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine had expired.

RG3 was off to visit with Cleveland.

After Griffin exited the Chiefs interview room, Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck walked through the door. After Luck’s 15 minutes came to an end, Texas A&M’s Ryan Tannehill sat across the table from Crennel and GM Scott Pioli.

No doubt, the Chiefs made their way through the quarterback circuit Friday night.

“Generally, when you talk to top-notch quarterbacks you’re impressed with the interview,” said Crennel. “We had three top-notch quarterbacks in there and all three of those guys were very impressive in their interviews.”

But something was different with RG3. He and Crennel formed a connection based of their upbringing in military families.

Crennel grew up the son of an Army sergeant. Griffin often credits his on-field success to the influence of his retired Army parents.

“He’s the type of person that you’d like to go and get,” Crennel said. “Not only was he sharp in football, but he was sharp about life. And because he was an Army brat and I was an Army brat, there is a special connection there. I’m going to give him a little more headway than the other guys just because of that.”

When discussing Griffin’s physical attributes, Crennel is equally as impressed.

“I’ve seen enough of him,” Crennel said. “He has a tremendously strong arm, tremendously fast feet and good speed, and it looks like he makes good decisions. He puts the ball where the receivers have a chance to make a play. And he’s not always looking to run. He’s looking to throw, but will run when he has to.

“He is a winner and he’s won. When you win, particularly at that position, it says something about you and your ability.”

The likelihood of Griffin falling to the Chiefs at the 11th overall pick is extremely low, but the team is doing its homework anyway.

As an example, Crennel referenced Brady Quinn’s unexpected freefall in 2007 and the Browns decision to trade-up for the former Notre Dame quarterback with the 22nd overall pick.

“In this business you always talk to everybody, because you never know what is going to happen or how things are going to develop,” Crennel said.

But what about the possibly of the Chiefs making a bold draft day move to trade-up and select Griffin this April?

“I don’t have to talk Scott into it because he was equally impressed with the young man as I was,” Crennel said as he laughed.

If anything, Crennel certainly knows how to keep the off-season interesting.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Crennel-forms-connection-with-RG3-in-Combine-interview/89c9dccd-8a91-402b-ac7a-e0b3e748796c

jd1020
02-25-2012, 06:02 PM
He was heard to have said "Good kid! Too bad I'll never seen him again" while walking away.

NIUhuskies
02-25-2012, 06:03 PM
we are a QB away from a dynasty! trade the draft away to make this happen pioli!!!!

stonedstooge
02-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Damn Romeo is going to call Scotts hand

Inmem58
02-25-2012, 06:05 PM
Crennel is on his game.

salame
02-25-2012, 06:06 PM
franchise carr
trade carr plus the 11th pick to the rams (who need a cb)
draft rg3
jimp

jd1020
02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
franchise carr
trade carr plus the 11th pick to the rams (who need a cb) (who also can't afford a 10.6M contract)
draft rg3
jimp

notorious
02-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Bowe and our 1st to St. Louis.

Profit.

Consistent1
02-25-2012, 06:08 PM
franchise carr
trade carr plus the 11th pick to the rams (who need a cb)
draft rg3
jimp

Carr and a flip of firsts is not going to get it done. For sure.

KCrockaholic
02-25-2012, 06:08 PM
It's hard to not like Romeo. If we trade up and get RG3 because of Romeo he could automatically be my 2nd favorite HC in Chiefs history.

And Pioli would slightly be forgiven for some things he's done...

hometeam
02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby, that's all

Nightfyre
02-25-2012, 06:10 PM

You know, they can cut Jason Smith, for example and save 10MM. Quit throwing this bullshit around.

salame
02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Carr and a flip of firsts is not going to get it done. For sure.

fine and our 2nd round

jd1020
02-25-2012, 06:11 PM
You know, they can cut Jason Smith, for example and save 9MM. Quit throwing this bullshit around.

Fixed it for ya.

Never mind that they would look to replace him in the first and the 11th pick probably wont get it done.

O.city
02-25-2012, 06:14 PM
To get to that pick, it's gonna take 3 or 4 first round picks.

Not gonna happen.

salame
02-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Suck for Matt Barkley

Fat Elvis
02-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Not gonna happen.

A franchised player will net two first round picks. That means that a franchised Bowe/Carr and our first round pick = three first round picks.

jd1020
02-25-2012, 06:19 PM
A franchised player will net two first round picks. That means that a franchised Bowe/Carr and our first round pick = three first round picks.

No one is going to give up 2 firsts for Bowe or Carr.

The only player who's looking at a tag and would get a team to bite for 2 firsts is Brees.

Fat Elvis
02-25-2012, 06:20 PM
I love how Crennel is basically telling Mark Castle that he doesn't want him as his QB. Romeo: "Oooo, I'd love me some Peyton Manning" and then, "Oooo gimme some RG3." LMAO

milkman
02-25-2012, 06:24 PM
It's hard to not like Romeo. If we trade up and get RG3 because of Romeo he could automatically be my 2nd favorite HC in Chiefs history.

With Todd Haley, everything was too buttoned down, but Romeo talks too much.

MIAdragon
02-25-2012, 06:25 PM

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/screenshots/197235d1330012543-animated-gif-thread-qijyk.gif

KCrockaholic
I love how Crennel is basically telling Mark Castle that he doesn't want him as his QB. Romeo: "Oooo, I'd love me some Peyton Manning" and then, "Oooo gimme some RG3." LMAO

Maybe he's trying to get Cassel pissed to demand a trade. In that case I might trade him for a White Castle sandwich.

Chiefshrink
Romeo forms connection as did 31 other coaches as well:rolleyes:

Chiefshrink
02-25-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/screenshots/197235d1330012543-animated-gif-thread-qijyk.gif

LMAO

KCrockaholic
02-25-2012, 06:26 PM

He might give a little too much detail at times, but it's kind of refreshing. I liked Todd, and I still do, but Romeo just tells it like it is.

Douche Baggins
02-25-2012, 06:27 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/r2j70i.jpg

KCrockaholic
Romeo forms connection as did 31 other coaches as well:rolleyes:

But they both had parents with Army backgrounds...

Mr. Flopnuts
I love Romeo. There. I said it. I much prefer a coach that isn't afraid to talk. He clearly picked up the gum wrapper, and got the tap taken off of his phone.

Nightfyre
02-25-2012, 06:28 PM
No one is going to give up 2 firsts for Bowe or Carr.

This is true. However, we have a multitude of chips the rams could be interested in and their value cannot be discounted.

Bowe or Carr can be franchised. I think I would rather tie up Carr to a long-term deal and franchise Carr and ship him out. Either would be appealing to the Rams.

Albert and Dorsey are both in contract years and should both also be of interest to the Rams.

If the Rams value Kendall Wright as much as I've read, they may also be able to trade back to 11 and take him there.

mikey23545
02-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Wow, and to think some coaches say stuff like this before a draft just to mislead other teams as to their real intentions...

jd1020
02-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Wow, and to think some coaches say stuff like this before a draft just to mislead other teams as to their real intentions...

I don't think Crennel is fooling anyone about the Chiefs intentions of standing pat/trading back. Except for a few CPers living in a fantasy, of course.

stonedstooge
02-25-2012, 06:33 PM

It would be pretty cruel to tease us with talk about a new quarterback and then not do it

mikey23545
02-25-2012, 06:35 PM
It would be pretty cruel to tease us with talk about a new quarterback and then not do it

Why would you think this stuff is aimed at you?

Fat Elvis
02-25-2012, 07:59 PM
I love Romeo. There. I said it. I much prefer a coach that isn't afraid to talk. He clearly picked up the gum wrapper, and got the tap taken off of his phone.

I think Romeo scouts out Pioli's movements and walks down halls at Arrowhead dropping gum wrappers every chance he gets.

Simplicity
02-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Romeo is showing we are going to make some major moves in this upcoming offseason... Looking forward to see what will go down.

Douche Baggins
02-25-2012, 08:15 PM
Romeo is showing we are going to make some major moves in this upcoming offseason... .

LMAO

Simplicity
02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
LMAO

Cool.

O.city
02-25-2012, 08:19 PM
It it's just 2 firsts and a 2, I'd pull that trigger every day and twice on Tuesday.

For the Chiefs to get to 2, it's gonna take atleast 3 first rounders.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-25-2012, 08:21 PM
We won't be able to match what Cleveland gives up.

In other words...

We aren't drafting up.

O.city
02-25-2012, 08:30 PM
The only only way that we could possibly get RGIII is if the Browns, Skins, and Phins pick up free agent qbs.

If Flynn, Orton, and Manning could go to those places we would be set.

trndobrd
02-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Romeo got to meet three franchise quarterbacks. It would be cool if he got autographs.

Bowser
02-25-2012, 08:40 PM
I bet Josh Looney facepalmed after writing that.

-King-
02-25-2012, 09:18 PM

Slightly forgiven? If we got RGIII, Pioli should have a statue at the stadium and his face on the side of the helmets.

ArrowheadHawk
02-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Make this happen.

Douche Baggins
02-25-2012, 09:32 PM
I bet Josh Looney facepalmed after writing that.

Josh Looney has been brainwashed.

Chief_For_Life58
02-25-2012, 09:33 PM

hahaha. GOOD!

Mr. Laz
02-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Not gonna happen.you're insane

Okie_Apparition
02-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Cassel is done

rocknrolla
02-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Nothing but blue balls!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bump
02-25-2012, 10:07 PM
we are a QB away from a dynasty! trade the draft away to make this happen pioli!!!!

THIS

Simplicity
02-25-2012, 10:28 PM
RG3 Stanzi Orton

Make it happen.

Psyko Tek
02-25-2012, 10:55 PM

yes he does, but it's the truth

Psyko Tek
02-25-2012, 10:56 PM

is that the first sighting of pedo bear?

DJ's left nut
02-25-2012, 10:59 PM
you're insane

Agreed.

I like Griffin a lot and have for awhile now - but he can fail. He's not Andrew Luck. He's not Payton Manning (hell, he's not Eli Manning). In fact, he's probably not even quite as sure a thing as Ryan was. He reminds me a little of Matt Stafford in that he has the potential to go boom or bust in a very big way.

I'd love to see us go after him, but nobody is giving 4 1st rounders for him and it's doubtful he costs 3.

2 firsts and a 2nd is probably about right, maybe another 3rd in there this year or next. Cleveland would probably be able to get him for their 4 and 21 and for us to match that will probably require the extra 2nd and maybe a lil extra. And who knows? Cleveland isn't the brightest organization - maybe they'll sit the bidding out or refuse to kick in that 1st. In which case, the Chiefs are sitting very nicely.

The kid's ceiling is unmatched, but I don't think you're likely to see many GMs give up entire drafts for the guy when there's a legitimate risk of failure with him.

BossChief
02-26-2012, 03:52 AM
I dont think Holmgren is trading two first rounders to move from 4 to 2.

In fact, I have my doubts they would even take him at 4...but I think somebody moves up in front of them to take him.

If he makes it past to 4, he is fair game for us to trade up for because according to the draft value chart it would only take a second rounder to move from 11 to 4.

I guess it all depends on how much Holmgren likes him and how much other teams really are willing to spend to move up to take the kid.

I'm not convinced he is gonna go before the 4th pick.

crazycoffey
02-26-2012, 03:58 AM
Maybe he's trying to get Cassel pissed to demand a trade. In that case I might trade him for a White Castle sandwich.

I think I'd trade Cassel for syphilis if it meant Luck, RGIII, Tannehill or Manning....

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2012, 06:25 AM
RIt it's just 2 firsts and a 2, I'd pull that trigger every day and twice on Tuesday.

For the Chiefs to get to 2, it's gonna take atleast 3 first rounders.

This. Its comical that people think the rams will go GaGa over Carr and bowe. They have a new regime. They have a lot of work to do. They're not going to trade away chances for 22 year Olds for 27 year Olds. If the browns or skins make an aggressive draft trade we are ****ed.

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2012, 06:28 AM
reI dont think Holmgren is trading two first rounders to move from 4 to 2.

In fact, I have my doubts they would even take him at 4...but I think somebody moves up in front of them to take him.

If he makes it past to 4, he is fair game for us to trade up for because according to the draft value chart it would only take a second rounder to move from 11 to 4.

I guess it all depends on how much Holmgren likes him and how much other teams really are willing to spend to move up to take the kid.

I'm not convinced he is gonna go before the 4th pick.

Are you serious? Holmgren is a qb guru and a scary judge of talent. Shurmur is a qb coach. They will aggressively go after a qb and they are smart enough to know it has to be RGIII.

Okie_Apparition
02-26-2012, 06:35 AM
It's Jeff Fisher running the show, heading into a mid-life crises
Red miata & bluetooth working deals while cruising I-70 toward the mean streets of east St. Louis

Okie_Apparition
02-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Cassel has had 1 year in NE & 3 in KC
prepare the chipped beef topping

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
R

This. Its comical that people think the rams will go GaGa over Carr and bowe. They have a new regime. They have a lot of work to do. They're not going to trade away chances for 22 year Olds for 27 year Olds. If the browns or skins make an aggressive draft trade we are ****ed.
still hung on that

i love that you think about me so much though. :toast:

Epic Fail 007
02-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Just remember it took an older more experienced man in Dick Vermeil to put peterson in check. Just like romeo will put pioli in check.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Just remember it took an older more experienced man in Dick Vermeil to put peterson in check. Just like romeo will put pioli in check.
except for that fact that the need to put Pioli is check is made up bullshit by people who want to bitch.

If the Chiefs make a move to improve the QB position, Pioli had done an outstanding job since taking over for the Chiefs. He's made 2 real mistakes ... hiring Todd "gunther" Haley and not replacing Cassel like he did Vrabel.

Cassel/Vrabel were both quality transition guys. We used Vrabel for awhile to change the culture etc and then moved on ... perfect. We haven't moved on from Cassel yet.

all this Dr. Evil shit about Pioli is just beyond stupid.

with the exception of Bad Guy, i seriously doubt anyone here has even met the man.

BCD
02-26-2012, 10:22 AM
except for that fact that the need to put Pioli is check is made up bullshit by people who want to bitch.

If the Chiefs make a move to improve the QB position, Pioli had done an outstanding job since taking over for the Chiefs. He's made 2 real mistakes ... hiring Todd "gunther" Haley and not replacing Cassel like he did Vrabel.

Cassel/Vrabel were both quality transition guys. We used Vrabel for awhile to change the culture etc and then moved on ... perfect. We haven't moved on from Cassel yet.

with the exception of Bad Guy, i seriously doubt anyone here has even met the man.
2 words come to mind when I read your posts:

Dumb and Ass.

:)

milkman
02-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Be patient.

We'll move on from Cassel when he retires, like we did with Vrabel.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 10:25 AM
2 words come to mind when I read your posts:

Dumb and Ass.

:):)

SPATCH
02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Griffin III put up some silly measureables today, btw.

Epic Fail 007
02-26-2012, 10:31 AM

I completely agree alot here need to just grow up for real.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 11:12 AM

it's a Black thang ...

Okie_Apparition
02-26-2012, 11:29 AM
DV sure was doing alot of crying(spurting tears this time) over Greg Robinson's leaving
Only thing DV may have made Carl do was lift a leg & fart

Nightfyre
02-26-2012, 04:49 PM
HOLY ****ING NFL.COM NEEDS EDUCATED WRITERS!

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09000d5d8273994a/article/rgiii-leaves-indy-as-undisputed-winner-of-nfl-combine?module=HP11_content_stream

Maybe the Dolphins are one of those teams. Maybe the Redskins. Maybe the Browns. Maybe another team -- one that nobody is talking about -- will unexpectedly get into the mix and only drive up the price even more. Whatever the case, the lesson from this weekend became clear every time the spotlight panned Griffin's direction:

He has every look of being the real deal.

"You only have 15 minutes to talk to guys and that goes pretty quickly when you're talking to the entertaining young man like he is," said Browns coach Romeo Crennel, who met with him Friday. "He's very sharp. He's well thought out. He gives great answers. We could have talked to him for an hour.

"But in the 15 minutes he had, we came away very impressed with him."

chiefzilla1501
02-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Hiring Haley was not a mistake. Wanting to fire Haley the day after a playoff game in the second year... Mistake
If the rumors are true that he was sabotaging Haley from that day forward was a mistake.
Hiring Romeo and daboll directly from the tree... Remains to be seen, but in my opinion, was a big mistake.
Piolis horrific publicity management (especially during a time when we had key coaching decisions to make and we now have to rehire a college scouting director?). Horrible mistake.
Piolis decision to freeze out peterson's scouts in the 2009 draft. Horrible mistake.
If it's true that he was relentlessly micromanaging coaches including Haley? Huge mistake.
Deciding to not do one damn thing to address significant depth issues, especially a quarterback and tackle? Embarrassingly big mistake
Forcing a 3-4 then, in three years, ignoring the most important position on the field? Huge mistake

I've complimented pioli on a lot of his moves so I'm not a hater. Like I've said before he has done a lot of great things for the chiefs but those things are undermined by really stupid decisions like the ones you and I mentioned above.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-26-2012, 05:09 PM
We just have to make sure we "Suck for RGIV" whenever he is ready...

I am sure we will still be looking for our franchise QB when he comes around.