PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Source: Chiefs will tag Dwayne Bowe

Count Alex's Wins
02-26-2012, 08:39 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7615420/source-kansas-city-chiefs-franchise-dwayne-bowe-two-sides-reach-deal

The Kansas City Chiefs plan to use the franchise tag on wide receiver Dwayne Bowe if the two sides cannot reach a new deal, according to a league source.

The franchise tag number for wide receivers this year is $9.5 million.

The 27-year-old Bowe had another good season despite a revolving door of quarterbacks in Kansas City last season, catching 81 passes for 1,159 yards and five touchdowns.

It was his third 1,000-yard season, and he has caught at least 70 passes in four of his five NFL seasons. He led the NFL in 2010 with 15 touchdown receptions and has 36 TD catches in his career.

One NFL general manager estimated that, with the cost of the franchise tags decreasing because of the new collective bargaining agreement, as many as 25 tags could be used to restrict player movement this offseason.

The franchise tag used to be based on the average of the top five salaries at that position from last season. In the new CBA, it's based on the average of the top five salaries at that position from the previous five seasons.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

MIAdragon
02-26-2012, 08:47 AM
http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/screenshots/197236d1330012605-animated-gif-thread-ums1e.gif

Count Alex's Wins
02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
You have to wonder why our balla-ass GM and caproom-laden owner can't work out a fucking deal with either of our top players this offseason.

Rams Fan
02-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Q

T-post Tom
02-26-2012, 08:52 AM
You have to wonder why our balla-ass GM and caproom-laden owner can't work out a ****ing deal with either of our top players this offseason.

It's a process.

Hoover
02-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Because they would be fools not to test the market

bevischief
02-26-2012, 08:57 AM
Right 53...

-King-
02-26-2012, 08:59 AM
You have to wonder why our balla-ass GM and caproom-laden owner can't work out a fucking deal with either of our top players this offseason.

This. Especially seeing all the UFAs that have re-signed already.

Oh wait....

You need to work on your trolling a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device

wazu
02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Bowe is the kind of player that should be franchised every year. I worry a little what he will be after signing a huge money deal.

Raiderhader
02-26-2012, 10:12 AM
This. Especially seeing all the UFAs that have re-signed already.

Oh wait....

You need to work on your trolling a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't encourage him.

Bane
02-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Meh.

Chiefshrink
02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Bowe is the kind of player that should be franchised every year. I worry a little what he will be after signing a huge money deal.

BINGO !!! He still drops easy key 3rd down conversion passes. Focus is not his strong point but on the flip side when Cassel is your QB you are limited. I would love to see a whole season of Orton throwing to the "Triple B Threat".

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Tell us, why would you be in such a hurry to sign him now if its not absolutely nessessary?

dirk digler
02-26-2012, 10:57 AM
repost

milkman
02-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Tell us, why would you be in such a hurry to sign him now if its not absolutely nessessary?

Because you could then use the tag on Carr.

Hog Farmer
02-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Be patient. It will happen.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Because you could then use the tag on Carr.

This can still happen. Bowe doesn't have to be signed right now. Maybe they want to see what kind of offers Bowe gets. Maybe Bowe is waiting to see what he can get.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 11:06 AM
This can still happen. Bowe doesn't have to be signed right now. Maybe they want to see what kind of offers Bowe gets. Maybe Bowe is waiting to see what he can get.

:hmmm:

DA_T_84
02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Maybe Bowe doesn't want to catch passes from Matt Fucking Cassel.

Bane
02-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Maybe Bowe doesn't want to catch passes from Matt ****ing Cassel.

Who could blame him?

jspchief
02-26-2012, 11:09 AM

So you can tag Carr.

notorious
02-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I bet players HATE the tag.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 11:12 AM
So you can tag Carr.

Thank you, Capt Obvious.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
The deadline is next Sunday.

Why rush it?

Marcellus
02-26-2012, 11:16 AM
I bet players HATE the tag.

They should have made a bigger deal of dropping it in the new CBA they just approved less than a year ago.

That's what pisses me off about these players that threaten holding out of they get franchised. They just freaking approved the use of it yet want to throw a fit every time they get franchised.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 11:17 AM

jspchief
02-26-2012, 11:19 AM
The deadline is next Sunday.

Why rush it?

Because the tag salary under the new CBA is considerably lower than it was before. Perhaps seeing that low number will encourage Bowe to push for a deal.

Sincerely,
Cpt. Obvious

Bump
02-26-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm not a bit worried about Bowe post-gettin paid. He's a beast and has a strong head on his shoulders. He does drop some passes, but the good certainly outweighs the bad and he's the type of player that wants to be great.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 11:20 AM
just yesterday you gave me shit for saying almost the same exact thing

now you're running with it

LMAO

you go, boy.

Mr. Laz
02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm not a bit worried about Bowe post-gettin paid. He's a beast and has a strong head on his shoulders. He does drop some passes, but the good certainly outweighs the bad and he's the type of player that wants to be great.
but imo Bowe thinks he's Fitzgerald and thinks he's going to get a contract like Fitz.

The Chiefs want him to come back down to earth a little bit

get paid ... yes

get paid like fitz ... no

jspchief
02-26-2012, 11:25 AM

BTW, the deadline to tag a player comes before FA starts, so this isn't a possible scenario.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 11:29 AM
just yesterday you gave me shit for saying almost the same exact thing

now you're running with it

LMAO

you go, boy.
No. Not the same thing.

You thought Bowe should be signed now.

I'd be shocked if Bowe is sighed before FA, if he's not tagged.

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
BTW, the deadline to tag a player comes before FA starts, so this isn't a possible scenario.

I wasn't talking about tagging Bowe in that scenario. Carr.

jspchief
02-26-2012, 11:36 AM
I wasn't talking about tagging Bowe in that scenario. Carr.

You're talking in circles.

milkman
02-26-2012, 11:37 AM

That way no one knows what the hell he is talking about and won't be able to hold a post against him.

It's brilliant, really.

Bump
02-26-2012, 11:40 AM
but imo Bowe thinks he's Fitzgerald and thinks he's going to get a contract like Fitz.

The Chiefs want him to come back down to earth a little bit

get paid ... yes

get paid like fitz ... no

if he expects to get paid like Fitz, then he's a dumbass and can walk.

lewdog
02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Anyone see this as another writing on the wall of why we get Peyton? We let Carr walk, don't sign Bowe to a long term deal and tie up our money instead in Peyton MANnning.

Count Alex's Wins
02-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Anyone see this as another writing on the wall of why we get Peyton? We let Carr walk, don't sign Bowe to a long term deal and tie up our money instead in Peyton MANnning.

http://i39.tinypic.com/rvhi11.jpg

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 11:51 AM

No I'm not.

FA begins in March 13th.

The deadline for the tag is next Sunday.

There is still a whole week to work on Bowe's contract.

I have no idea what Pioli plans to do. I'm hopeful but he'll likely fuck it up.

My point is this does not need to happen right now. A week is a long time in contract negotiations.

Direckshun
02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
People need to drop the "what will Bowe become" shit.

It's been years now since we've had a character issue out of him. He's played for shit QBs and put up great numbers despite that... Hell, for all we know, he IS Larry Fitz.

The statute of limitations is over with him. He has no character issues, he's a physical specimen, he never gets injured, never complains, and is young with seemingly unlimited potential if we ever paired him with a franchise QB.

He's earned a massive payday. The Chiefs need to tag him and spend all summer working out a huge deal with tons of guaranteed money.

ghak99
02-26-2012, 11:53 AM

Tag Carr.. Sign Manning.. Use Manning as bait to pinch pennies from Bowe. :shrug:

There is no telling wtf Spaghettioli has rolling around on his plate.

philfree
02-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Like this was news. I'm pretty sure any fan with a heartbeat and a single brain wave knew months ago that if we don't get Bowe signed long term we'll most likely put the franchise tag on him.

milkman
02-26-2012, 01:05 PM
No I'm not.

FA begins in March 13th.

The deadline for the tag is next Sunday.

There is still a whole week to work on Bowe's contract.

I have no idea what Pioli plans to do. I'm hopeful but he'll likely **** it up.

My point is this does not need to happen right now. A week is a long time in contract negotiations.

I'd like to check this out, but my understanding is that once they place the tag on Bowe, they will not be able to use that tag on Carr if Bowe is signed between the 5th and the 13th.

Someone know for sure?

I may be misunderstanding this post, as well.

Are you talking about this week before the 5th?

BigMeatballDave
02-26-2012, 01:24 PM
I'd like to check this out, but my understanding is that once they place the tag on Bowe, they will not be able to use that tag on Carr if Bowe is signed between the 5th and the 13th.

Someone know for sure?

I may be misunderstanding this post, as well.

Are you talking about this week before the 5th?
I'm hoping they can sign sometime with in the next week.
This way they can tag Carr.

lewdog
02-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Tag Carr.. Sign Manning.. Use Manning as bait to pinch pennies from Bowe. :shrug:

There is no telling wtf Spaghettioli has rolling around on his plate.

Yea I am trying to understand it too. Why pinch pennies for your best offensive player when you have all this cap space? Unless these assholes plan to be way under the cap again this season for no obvious reason. :banghead:

BossChief
02-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Tag Bowe and then sign Peyton Manning.

Bowe would re-sign a ling term deal by the time camp starts under that scenario.

With the money Carr would have gotten and the amount we could save by moving Cassel during or after the draft or just cutting him, that would probably be damn near equal to what we would have to pay Peyton Manning.

Albert would probably tell his agent to start talking to KC about extending his deal, too.

All the depth "problems" we currently have would be eliminated because veterans would be lining up to play for us for a chance at a ring.

I realize I am setting myself for a big letdown if/when we don't sign Peyton and have to watch Cassel continue to shit the bed, but I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

BossChief
02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Yea I am trying to understand it too. Why pinch pennies for your best offensive player when you have all this cap space? Unless these assholes plan to be way under the cap again this season for no obvious reason. :banghead:

If we sign Peyton Manning, the difference between his salary and what they would have to pay Cassel anyway would be easily recouped through increased ticket sales, luxury boxes (that the owner keeps every dime of), local tv contracts, jersey sales, concessions and lots and lots of other ways to market him in KC.

If we let Bowe and Carr walk and don't sign Peyton Manning...I'm probably gonna be completely done with this team and so would thousands of other fans in KC.

There would probsbly be billboards up in KC asking Mark Cuban to buy the team from the Hunts.

Ultra Peanut
02-26-2012, 09:17 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rQAIi.png

FAX
02-26-2012, 09:22 PM
So, the Routt deal actually helps put pressure on the Bowe negotiations ...

Maybe Dr. Evil is playing out this hand with skill, after all.

FAX