PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Windows or Android phone?

crispystl420
02-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Which is better? Anyone have any suggestions?

ILChief
02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
I had a droid and switched to an iPhone. Was not impressed with android. Given the choice between those two I would go with windows unless you're into a lot of apps

crispystl420
02-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I had a droid and switched to an iPhone. Was not impressed with android. Given the choice between those two I would go with windows unless you're into a lot of apps

Why is the Android better for apps?

Bump
02-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a samsung galaxy induldge and it sucks balls. lasts maybe 3 hours off the charger and it's pretty slow and sluggish now. I don't want to spend money getting a new phone, so I just deal with this BS for now.

Monty
02-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Samsungs have performed very poorly for me in the past. I've had coworkers with Windows phones and they've all traded them for the HTC Androids. iPhone or HTC Android seems to be the best way to go.

crispystl420
02-26-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking about going for the HTC my touch 4g. Does anyone own one?

BCD
02-26-2012, 12:39 PM
I bought a Samsung Galaxy S 2 a few weeks ago.

Its amazing.

ILChief
02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Why is the Android better for apps?

Just figured its been around longer so there would me more apps in their store

BCD
02-26-2012, 12:42 PM
I was using an EVO the past 6 months. Great phone.

This phone blows it out of the water.

Get a SGS2. You won't regret it.

TrebMaxx
02-26-2012, 12:46 PM
I have SGS2 and love it.

Raiderhader
02-26-2012, 12:54 PM
I've never owned a Windows phone, but I've played around with one quite a bit. Stay away. Non-user friendly is an understatement. Confusing as hell.

Get an HTC Droid of some kind. Hell, even an iPhone is better than the Windows shit.

HoneyBadger
02-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Its amazing.

I have SGS2 and love it.

This.

Consistent1
02-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I have a samsung galaxy induldge and it sucks balls. lasts maybe 3 hours off the charger and it's pretty slow and sluggish now. I don't want to spend money getting a new phone, so I just deal with this BS for now.

You just have something, or more than one thing sapping it. I use Watchdog and it keeps tabs on what is using a lot of juice. Even if there are apps you want to continue to update a lot, change the settings to hourly updates versus say every 15 minutes. I resolved all the problems I had like that, you can too.

splatbass
02-26-2012, 02:18 PM
iPhone, no contest. I don't know why you don't have it on your list.

I don't have any experience with the new Windows, but I had a phone with Windows Mobile and it was the worst cell phone I ever had. Kept telling me it didn't have enough memory to even open the camera app, even though it had a lot of available memory. I wanted to take some pictures during a Thanksgiving dinner and couldn't. This was just one of many problems.

Apple is the way to go. Why go with an imitator when you can get the original innovator?

BCD
02-26-2012, 02:36 PM

I don't have any experience with the new Windows, but I had a phone with Windows Mobile and it was the worst cell phone I ever had. Kept telling me it didn't have enough memory to even open the camera app, even though it had a lot of available memory. I wanted to take some pictures during a Thanksgiving dinner and couldn't. This was just one of many problems.

Apple is the way to go. Why go with an imitator when you can get the original innovator?

It depends on what you like to do with your device.
Apple make very solid products. Without question.
I'm not a fan because they lock their shit down.
I've had this phone(SGS2)3 weeks and I've rooted it and I run customs RoMs. Fully customizable. You can't say that about the iPhone. Plus, if you like a big screen, you're not getting that with an iPhone.

BCD
02-26-2012, 02:42 PM

LMAO you can stop sucking off Jobs now. He's dead.

Dartgod
02-26-2012, 02:54 PM

Its amazing.
I have one too and love it.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie
02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
I would get an iphone but the screen is tiny. I hope sprint gets the galaxy note. Big ass screen that's is a mix between a tablet and a cell phone.

crispystl420
02-26-2012, 03:07 PM

I have T-mobile. I'm not sure an I-phone is a possibility.

BCD
02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
If anyone is looking for a good case for their device check out http://www.tridentcase.com/

BCD
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I have T-mobile. I'm not sure an I-phone is a possibility.

Its not unless you use an ATT iPhone and unlock it but I have no clue how that works.

BCD
02-26-2012, 03:11 PM
I would get an iphone but the screen is tiny. I hope sprint gets the galaxy note. Big ass screen that's is a mix between a tablet and a cell phone.

That thing is huge. 5.3" display.

Valiant
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
I have the Epic.. Amazing phone.. + keyboard..

Honestly if you have any problems with most phones it is user error..

HoneyBadger
02-26-2012, 03:13 PM
That thing is huge. 5.3" .

That's what she said?

crispystl420
02-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I was using an EVO the past 6 months. Great phone.

This phone blows it out of the water.

Get a SGS2. You won't regret it.

600.00 is a little steep for a phone imop.

BCD
02-26-2012, 03:22 PM
600.00 is a little steep for a phone imop.

I didn't pay that. Aren't you due a discount?

Dr. Gigglepants
02-26-2012, 03:24 PM
I have the HTC Amaze 4g on t Mobile. The phone is great. Huge screen, great camera and hd video. I'm not impressed with the 4g speed though. If you would have went last week you could have got the phone for free. Enjoy paying $500 bucks for it now.
Posted via Mobile Device

prhom
02-26-2012, 03:36 PM
The wife and I just switched from iPhones to Samsungs. Her's isn't as nice (Samsung Epic 4g as it's called by Sprint, the one with the keyboard) as my Galaxy S2. The battery life is pretty poor compared to iPhones, but other than that it's not a huge difference to me. I prefer the large screen on my Galaxy S2 to the iPhone's. Plus I'll have 4g if they ever build out the network. So far, I don't have 4g at work or at home so that aspect is a non-issue at the moment.

crispystl420
02-26-2012, 04:04 PM
I didn't pay that. Aren't you due a discount?

I have a different kind of contract with T-mobile it's only 90.00 bucks a month for two phones with unlimited everything and data, but I have to buy phones outright.

threebag02
02-26-2012, 04:13 PM
iPhone.

Tertullian
02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
My wife and I use HTC Radar 4G (Windows Phone 7) and we absolutely love it! I do understand that every one has different taste and preference, therefore it is really up to you.

I did some research before we I decided to go with Windows Phone 7.
1. I am not a power user, and I just wanted my phone to be a phone with easy access to web, email, text, contact, calendar, and some needed apps. I wasn't looking for a mini-computer to customize or tweak it extensively.
2. I did not want iPhone - not because it wasn't a good phone, but I wanted it with gorilla glass and something that will sync with my PC easily.
3. Android is good for those who want to customize their phone extensively. You could root it, custom rom it, and etc. I did not want to spend a lot of time doing that. Plus, I did hear some Android phones (not all), like Galaxy S 4G has been a nightmare since the upgrade. Others like Android for many apps and control over their phones.
4. Windows Phone 7 works everything out of the box well. You tap 15 % less compare to iPhone or Android devices. I spend less time using my phone to do my work with it. Fast, efficient, and smooth. We've been using it for 3 months now, and not a single reboot - except for OS updates.

Again, if you want your smartphone to be a mini computer, then Android is a best option. But if you want your phoned to be a phone with minimum customization and that works everything works out of the box, then WP7 seems to be the best.

For HTC Radar user reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Radar-Windows-Phone-T-Mobile/product-reviews/B0061QDXPG/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

For Windows Phone 7 vs. iPhone, Android:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQjGe53zw6w

As for me, I LOVE my Windows Phone 7!

splatbass
02-26-2012, 04:52 PM
It depends on what you like to do with your device.
Apple make very solid products. Without question.
I'm not a fan because they lock their shit down.
I've had this phone(SGS2)3 weeks and I've rooted it and I run customs RoMs. Fully customizable. You can't say that about the iPhone. Plus, if you like a big screen, you're not getting that with an iPhone.

I don't care about it being locked down. Doesn't need it be customized IMO. If that is what you want good for you. The iPhone does what I want it to from the factory.

I'm a system administrator. The last thing I want to do when I get home from work is play with computers, even if they are disguised as a phone. My phone is a tool, not a toy.

splatbass
02-26-2012, 04:53 PM
LMAO you can stop sucking off Jobs now. He's dead.

Go fuck yourself in an AIDS tree.

splatbass
02-26-2012, 04:54 PM

If I want a big display I'll use my iPad.

shitgoose
02-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I just picked up an HTC Rezound 4g this weekend. This phone runs circles around my wifes IPhone4. My only complaint is all the pre-loaded apps and bullshit that come with it.

Saul Good
02-26-2012, 04:59 PM

Its amazing.

Everyone loves Samsung phones 3 weeks after buying them. Then, the battery life goes to hell, the phone bogs down, and it locks up all the time. I've owned several because I'm a sucker. They always have the coolest phones, and they perform incredibly in the stores when you're demoing them, so I always convince myself that they've finally worked out all the bugs...They never do.

I will never own another Samsung. Pretty sure I'm going to switch to the iPhone, especially if the next one has a bigger screen. I'll miss the real keyboard, though.

Mr. Plow
02-26-2012, 05:05 PM

LMAO

Yeah....Apple is the way to go. :)

jjchieffan
02-26-2012, 05:06 PM
I currently have a Droid X, and I have been very happy with it, but as soon as the price drops on the Droid Razr Maxx, I will be upgrading to it. The main reason that I got the android in the first place was for tethering. I can't get high speed at my house, so 3G was my best option. I am on VZW and grandfathered in on the unlimited data. I can't wait to get 3G speeds here at the house. The speed of the dual core 1.2 processor has me excited too. I was just about to jump on a Razr when announced the release of the Maxx. Have you seen the battery specs for it?
TALK TIME (CONTINUOUS)2
up to 21.5 hrs.
BATTERY TYPE
3300 mAh Li Ion
STANDBY TIME3
up to 380 hrs.

That is by far the best battery life on any comparable phone. I always have to carry my charger. If I use my phone much at all, I wind up having to plug in before the day is over. I am looking forward to having a battery that will last all day.

splatbass
02-26-2012, 05:14 PM
LMAO

Yeah....Apple is the way to go. :)

Sounds like someone who has never had an Apple product.

As I said earlier, I'm a system administrator. I know a lot of techies, a lot of engineers. There is a reason almost every engineer I know, almost every sys admin I know, uses Apple products. I can only think of one person in my office of 25 people that isn't an Apple user. Everyone has an iPhone, an iMac, an iPad. Only that one person uses Windows and has an Android phone. And it doesn't end with my office. I deal with sys admins all over the world. Most are Mac users. There is a reason for this.

htismaqe
02-26-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't care about it being locked down. Doesn't need it be customized IMO. If that is what you want good for you. The iPhone does what I want it to from the factory.

I'm a system administrator. The last thing I want to do when I get home from work is play with computers, even if they are disguised as a phone. My phone is a tool, not a toy.

This is pretty much how I feel too.

I mean, I like my Android.

But it's like the choice of running an Apple at home or setting up Debian or Ubuntu - at the end of the day when I log off from work, the LAST thing I want to do is fuck with a computer all night...

AustinChief
02-26-2012, 05:48 PM

As I said earlier, I'm a system administrator. I know a lot of techies, a lot of engineers. There is a reason almost every engineer I know, almost every sys admin I know, uses Apple products. I can only think of one person in my office of 25 people that isn't an Apple user. Everyone has an iPhone, an iMac, an iPad. Only that one person uses Windows and has an Android phone. And it doesn't end with my office. I deal with sys admins all over the world. Most are Mac users. There is a reason for this.

What industry do you work in? this is so laughably off base it's hard for me to understand how or why you posted it.

As an IT Director, a former Aerospace Engineer and someone who has worked in computers for over 20 years now... I can tell you that your experience is completely unique and not at all representative of the norm.

AustinChief
02-26-2012, 05:57 PM
What industry do you work in? this is so laughably off base it's hard for me to understand how or why you posted it.

As an IT Director, a former Aerospace Engineer and someone who has worked in computers for over 20 years now... I can tell you that your experience is completely unique and not at all representative of the norm.

On second thought, it could be a West Coast/Hawaii thing.. I do know a ton of tech people in California that are Mac guys... but I certainly will argue that it isn't a worldwide norm. Hell, as an engineer there are things that won't even run on a Mac unless you emulate.

BCD
02-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Go fuck yourself in an AIDS tree.

LMAO

BCD
02-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Everyone loves Samsung phones 3 weeks after buying them. Then, the battery life goes to hell, the phone bogs down, and it locks up all the time. I've owned several because I'm a sucker. They always have the coolest phones, and they perform incredibly in the stores when you're demoing them, so I always convince myself that they've finally worked out all the bugs...They never do.

I will never own another Samsung. Pretty sure I'm going to switch to the iPhone, especially if the next one has a bigger screen. I'll miss the real keyboard, though.

Hater. :)

This is a dual-core phone with plenty of storage space. A gig of RAM also.

Very snappy.

BCD
02-26-2012, 06:02 PM
I just picked up an HTC Rezound 4g this weekend. This phone runs circles around my wifes IPhone4. My only complaint is all the pre-loaded apps and bullshit that come with it.

Rooting and installing a custom RoM will remove the bloatware.

BCD
02-26-2012, 06:04 PM
I currently have a Droid X, and I have been very happy with it, but as soon as the price drops on the Droid Razr Maxx, I will be upgrading to it. The main reason that I got the android in the first place was for tethering. I can't get high speed at my house, so 3G was my best option. I am on VZW and grandfathered in on the unlimited data. I can't wait to get 3G speeds here at the house. The speed of the dual core 1.2 processor has me excited too. I was just about to jump on a Razr when announced the release of the Maxx. Have you seen the battery specs for it?
TALK TIME (CONTINUOUS)2
up to 21.5 hrs.
BATTERY TYPE
3300 mAh Li Ion
STANDBY TIME3
up to 380 hrs.

That is by far the best battery life on any comparable phone. I always have to carry my charger. If I use my phone much at all, I wind up having to plug in before the day is over. I am looking forward to having a battery that will last all day.Damn. Kick ass battery.

Saul Good
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Hater. :)

I hate my own phone and all the Samsungs I have ever owned, yes. Never again.

BCD
02-26-2012, 06:33 PM
I hate my own phone and all the Samsungs I have ever owned, yes. Never again.

Which one is it?

They've improved. A lot.

58-4ever
02-26-2012, 06:36 PM
the new Nokia Windows Phones are phenomenal. The specs stack up to anything that's out there. I would definitely recommend.

splatbass
02-26-2012, 06:41 PM

For 28 years i've worked for one of the largest aerospace companies in the country. I work on defense/government contracts, travel overseas as well as all over CONUS. My background is in UNIX, but I also do Windows. I'm certified in Security+ and Network+.

I'm sorry you think it is offbase, but my experience says otherwise. Most IT peoppl I know, as well as systems and software engineers, use Mac at home.

memyselfI
02-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Android. Once you go there you won't go back.

Sure-Oz
02-26-2012, 06:46 PM
I have a 2 year old droid incredible, works for me

dirk digler
02-26-2012, 06:49 PM

Intersting. I am a sysadmin for the company I work for and we don't use any Apple products.

Saul Good
02-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Which one is it?

They've improved. A lot.

I've probably had 5 or six over the last decade, and my wife has had 3 or 4. I've got the Galaxy now. She switched to the Evo, and it's much better.

Saul Good
02-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Android. Once you go there you won't go back.

Droid is the new black.

dirk digler
02-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I've probably had 5 or six over the last decade, and my wife has had 3 or 4. I've got the Galaxy now. She switched to the Evo, and it's much better.

I have to agree with you on Samsung. I have a Captivate and it worked great for awhile but now the battery life sucks and locks up all the time. I even replaced the battery a few months ago and it didn't really improve any.

jAZ
02-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Droid Incredible 2 is really nice. Long battery, high quality, big screen. No 4G (battery killer) didn't want or need.

AustinChief
02-26-2012, 07:09 PM
For 28 years i've worked for one of the largest aerospace companies in the country. I work on defense/government contracts, travel overseas as well as all over CONUS. My background is in UNIX, but I also do Windows. I'm certified in Security+ and Network+.

I'm sorry you think it is offbase, but my experience says otherwise. Most IT peoppl I know, as well as systems and software engineers, use Mac at home.

Ok, it's a different story when you add in "at home", I was assuming you meant at work.. but even then I think you are a victim of your geography. I'd wager I know as many if not more "tech" people and my experience is exactly the opposite (excepting California as I stated before). I can name you hundreds of techs in Texas, dozens in Spain, another handful in the UK, a few in Germany that are all friends of mine and I know of exactly ONE (and he's an arrogant douche) that uses Macs at home.

I'd wager that every other "tech" person on here that is not from the West Coast would agree with me on their experiences as well.

dirk digler
02-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Ok, it's a different story when you add in "at home", I was assuming you meant at work.. but even then I think you are a victim of your geography. I'd wager I know as many if not more "tech" people and my experience is exactly the opposite (excepting California as I stated before). I can name you hundreds of techs in Texas, dozens in Spain, another handful in the UK, a few in Germany that are all friends of mine and I know of exactly ONE (and he's an arrogant douche) that uses Macs at home.

I'd wager that every other "tech" person on here that is not from the West Coast would agree with me on their experiences as well.

I don't know anyone that uses a Mac. A lot of that it is that why pay double the price..

crispystl420
02-26-2012, 07:15 PM
the new Nokia Windows Phones are phenomenal. The specs stack up to anything that's out there. I would definitely recommend.

I'm really leaning towards the nokia lumia or the my touch 2. Which one would you guys recommend between the two?

shitgoose
02-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Rooting and installing a custom RoM will remove the bloatware.

How feasible is this process for someone not too tech savvy, like myself?

Mr. Plow
02-26-2012, 07:24 PM

You were 100% correct on this until you said "Sounds like someone who has never had an Apple product."

I've owned iPods & iPod touch....5+ of them to be exact. I've also worked on my sisters Mac, my dad's iPad, my brothers iPad, his 4 iPods, and his 3 iPhones. I was even considering getting an iPhone, but instead went with the Galaxy S II.

BCD
02-26-2012, 07:32 PM
How feasible is this process for someone not too tech savvy, like myself?

Its actually quite easy.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

Lots of info there.

prhom
02-26-2012, 07:35 PM
You were 100% correct on this until you said "Sounds like someone who has never had an Apple product."

I've owned iPods & iPod touch....5+ of them to be exact. I've also worked on my sisters Mac, my dad's iPad, my brothers iPad, his 4 iPods, and his 3 iPhones. I was even considering getting an iPhone, but instead went with the Galaxy S II.

Yep, I used to even be a Mac guy when I was in college. I had two iPhones and still use an iPad, but man do I love my new galaxy s2! If apple would make more than one version of the I phone at a time they'd have a lot more users. Why no 4g iPhone with a big screen? And get rid of the iTunes management structure!

BCD
02-26-2012, 07:37 PM

I had the EVO for 6 months. Great phone.

Before I got the EVO I had the Galaxy S for 3 months. Gave it to my son. He's had zero problems with it.

splatbass
02-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Intersting. I am a sysadmin for the company I work for and we don't use any Apple products.

I was talking about at home.

splatbass
02-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't know anyone that uses a Mac. A lot of that it is that why pay double the price..

Because it just works. I deal with Windows problems at work all day long. When I get home I want to use a computer that just works. If my system at work was Mac I would probably be out of a job. Windows keeps me employed.

Gonzo
02-26-2012, 07:47 PM
I've had the same Blackberry for the entire length of the contract now. Contract is up in 4 days and I'm dropping Sprint and going to Verizon and getting an I-Phone.

I have to say one thing for this old Blackberry, it's been the most dependable and durable phone I've ever owned. It's obsolete now and I can't fricken wait to get rid of it. I was a B-berry addict for years, (since the 1st black and white version came out like 12 years ago). It's a shame that they'll probably be out of business in the next year or two.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Plow
02-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Yep, I used to even be a Mac guy when I was in college. I had two iPhones and still use an iPad, but man do I love my new galaxy s2! If apple would make more than one version of the I phone at a time they'd have a lot more users. Why no 4g iPhone with a big screen? And get rid of the iTunes management structure!

Ugh....fuck itunes.

shitgoose
02-26-2012, 07:51 PM
I've had the same Blackberry for the entire length of the contract now. Contract is up in 4 days and I'm dropping Sprint and going to Verizon and getting an I-Phone.

I have to say one thing for this old Blackberry, it's been the most dependable and durable phone I've ever owned. It's obsolete now and I can't fricken wait to get rid of it. I was a B-berry addict for years, (since the 1st black and white version came out like 12 years ago). It's a shame that they'll probably be out of business in the next year or two.
Posted via Mobile Device

I went into the Verizon store on Friday to get an Iphone and ended up walking away with the HTC Rezound. The phone is badass and I am not regretting my decision. 4G LTE is the shit.

BCD
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
I went into the Verizon store on Friday to get an Iphone and ended up walking away with the HTC Rezound. The phone is badass and I am not regretting my decision. 4G LTE is the shit.

HTC phones are very solid.

prhom
02-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Ugh....**** itunes.

We were trying to manage two iPhones and two iPads from the same iTunes. Every time I'd sync I'd end up with all of my wife's apps and vice versa, and it takes forever. Just got sick of it.

loochy
02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
You should get the new Droid HerpDerp

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/erclsr/tatmanphone.jpg

BCD
02-26-2012, 08:03 PM
You should get the new Droid HerpDerp

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l281/erclsr/tatmanphone.jpg

:LOL:

tarheel23
02-26-2012, 08:08 PM
I will probably stay with my Blackberry until the bitter end. I have the new 9900 bold love it.

dallaschiefsfan
02-26-2012, 08:26 PM
You apple fan-boys are funny. This might not apply to many of you on this board, but most apple fan-boys I know have quite a bit of their identity wrapped up in their fandom. Exaggeration ensues.

Anyway...like others have said the Samsung Galaxy S2 is pretty incredible. I have the Skyrocket variant. If you have LTE in your area on ATT, it's worth it. CRAZY fast speeds from some towers in DFW. I registered a stupid 32mbps a few weeks ago. Most of the time, it registers between 12 and 15.

Gonzo
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
I will probably stay with my Blackberry until the bitter end. I have the new 9900 bold love it.
The bitter end is coming soon...

Like I said, they're great phones but it just doesn't do what I need it to anymore. I have to sync 2 emails, work documents, portal access for financial and schedule info and I'm sick of accessing the planet via the mobile address. If I don't access it via "mobile CP" the page never loads right and it takes forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler
02-26-2012, 08:30 PM
I was talking about at home.

Because it just works. I deal with Windows problems at work all day long. When I get home I want to use a computer that just works. If my system at work was Mac I would probably be out of a job. Windows keeps me employed.

I don't have a problem with my Windows PC at home :p

In all seriousness though I don't get on my home PC much except to cruise the Internet and post on CP. I am pretty much brain-drained after work

prhom
02-26-2012, 08:31 PM

Just curious, but what do you like about Blackberry? I have one for work and wish it would just go away. Aside from good battery life I can't think of anything it does well. They are in serious trouble as a company.

dallaschiefsfan
02-26-2012, 08:32 PM
I have to say one thing for this old Blackberry, it's been the most dependable and durable phone I've ever owned. It's obsolete now Posted via Mobile Device

This is SO true. The only reason I like Android is that I can set it up to work like a Blackberry...but with significantly better hardware. Stupid RIM just can't seem to keep up with the hardware technologies. I wish they could, because they are the toughest smart-phones on the planet and so intuitive for task and calendar management.

Gonzo
02-26-2012, 08:35 PM
This is SO true. The only reason I like Android is that I can set it up to work like a Blackberry...but with significantly better hardware. Stupid RIM just can't seem to keep up with the hardware technologies. I wish they could, because they are the toughest smart-phones on the planet and so intuitive for task and calendar management.
Yep, absolutely. RIM sucks so fucking bad now. Man, it was the shit 5 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

tarheel23
02-26-2012, 08:41 PM
The bitter end is coming soon...

Like I said, they're great phones but it just doesn't do what I need it to anymore. I have to sync 2 emails, work documents, portal access for financial and schedule info and I'm sick of accessing the planet via the mobile address. If I don't access it via "mobile CP" the page never loads right and it takes forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

I am able to sync 2 email accounts and all of the phone companies have said they will support the Blackberry devices. Even if the company goes out of business. I just don't need a lot of the things the other phones do.

tarheel23
02-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Just curious, but what do you like about Blackberry? I have one for work and wish it would just go away. Aside from good battery life I can't think of anything it does well. They are in serious trouble as a company.

Just what you siad, I like the battery life and the keyboard onm my newest blackberry. It is a duarable phone as well, which is imortant to me. I am in the mining industry and travel to Latin America almost weekly and the conditions are pretty bad sometimes. It doesn't do near what a lot of phones do, but it does everthing I need it to do.

unlurking
02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Bought my OG Droid the day it was released and traded it in for the Nexus the day it was released. Loved both. I will only ever buy GEDs. Bought my Xoom when it was released because it was a GED.

Gonzo
02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
I am able to sync 2 email accounts and all of the phone companies have said they will support the Blackberry devices. Even if the company goes out of business. I just don't need a lot of the things the other phones do.
I run an old Curve. The thing just can't keep up with what I put it through anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

prhom
02-26-2012, 09:40 PM
Just what you siad, I like the battery life and the keyboard onm my newest blackberry. It is a duarable phone as well, which is imortant to me. I am in the mining industry and travel to Latin America almost weekly and the conditions are pretty bad sometimes. It doesn't do near what a lot of phones do, but it does everthing I need it to do.

Heh, I'm in mining too. They are fairly durable and hold up well so far in my travels to Africa. Then again iPhones work there too and they're just as durable I think. Ill have to send you a pm and talk mining.

morphius
02-26-2012, 09:49 PM
I haven't played with the new windows interface, and really from the videos it didn't look like something I would be interested in. I'd bring up what a pain the old windows phones were at syncing with the desktop, including crashing the machine, but my Hero's syncing ability was lame even compared to my old BB Curve. The Samsung S2 seems to have some cool software for it, I just haven't had a chance to set it up yet (just got the phone last week).

Honestly, if I was looking for a phone for my wife or my mom, I might look at a windows phone because it seems "simple". I like to tweak things, so I'm an android guy. I will find it interesting if MS will have the pull to get the phone companies and vendors to keep their phones on the current instead of having the issue that Android has where they just don't upgrade their OS because it is so expensive to retest everything.

You can also count me as one of those people that are not going to buy into the itunes lock in. I also believe that if Apple came out with a more configurable interface, that all the users would claim how great it is and they would use it.

BWillie
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
That thing is huge. 5.3" display.

And its still not quite big enough. I want the biggest phone that will fit in my pocket. Which is probably pretty close. IPhones screen is annoyingly tiny

3rd&48ers
02-28-2012, 01:01 AM

I had an iphone for 3 hours and gave it to the wife, she loves it and she loves her ipad 2 but I prefer Android... I have an HTC Inspire 4g and an old Viewsonic Gtablet

Personally I have no use for the Apple stuff

3rd&48ers
02-28-2012, 01:02 AM

Damn Fine avatar :thumb:

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2012, 05:41 AM
If you're technology-dumb or an Apple fanboi get an iPhone.

If you want the best specs and most functionality and want to mod your phone, go Android. I recommend HTC.

cookster50
02-28-2012, 06:06 AM
I know of exactly ONE (and he's an arrogant douche)

That's all you have to say about AppleBots.

loochy
02-28-2012, 07:30 AM

If you want the best specs and most functionality and want to mod your phone, go Android. I recommend HTC.

This is pretty much THE answer.

splatbass
02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
I had an iphone for 3 hours and gave it to the wife, she loves it and she loves her ipad 2 but I prefer Android... I have an HTC Inspire 4g and an old Viewsonic Gtablet

Personally I have no use for the Apple stuff

Yeah, but you like the Raiders, so your intelligence is suspect already.

splatbass
02-28-2012, 07:56 AM
That's all you have to say about AppleBots.

I see a lot of opinions based on jealousy, but not many on facts.

MoreLemonPledge
02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
I have a Windows phone, an Android tablet, and I used to have an iPhone.

For ease of use and a better UI, I'd go with Windows Phone. For customization and individuality, I'd say Android. If you absolutely need every pointless app or just want to be another sheep who's tied to the crap that is iTunes, go with with iPhone.

3rd&48ers
02-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah, but you like the Raiders, so your intelligence is suspect already.

Har dee har har..

I am not actually slamming them because they work and if there were no Androids I would probably have one...

Fish
02-28-2012, 10:34 AM
I got to play with a new Windows phone for about a week in order to somewhat support it. I thought it was awful. Android would certainly be the recommended of the two.

Braincase
02-29-2012, 05:36 AM
I've had both. Currently using a Windows Phone, have an ASUS Transformer running Ice Cream Sandwich. I love my Windows Phone, and will continue to do so.

If security is a concern, you might want to read this story.
http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-only-smartphone-os-immune-new-webkit-threat

El Jefe
02-29-2012, 07:37 AM

I agree 100%

jAZ
02-29-2012, 07:47 AM
http://www.mobilebloom.com/htc-droid-incredible-2-ends-up-as-best-budget-friendly-android-smartphone-at-verizon/2210544/

Extra Point
02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Anyone on the Planet write code for one or the other?

Extra Point
03-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Again, anyone on the Planet write code for one or the other? Or knows a friend who does?