PDA

View Full Version : Life Middle of the Road Booze...

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
OK, so I'm not some guy who will drink lighter fluid mixed with Coke, but I also don't feel like I want to spend a fortune on a bottle of booze that I'll probably kill in a weekend. SO, CPers, what is your "middle of the road" booze brands? The stuff that you are not ashamed to let people know you have in your liquor cabinet, but at the same time it's not something you'd brag about either?

For me:

Bourbon - Evan Williams. It's a really solid bourbon which IMO is better than Beam by a mile and is about 5 bucks cheaper for a bottle.

Gin - Just discovered New Amsterdam Gin. Since I'm new to Gin, I don't really know what "good" gin is like, but I've had the Bombay Saphire and the Tanqueray, and this stuff for about 14 bucks a bottle is quite good IMO. Great martini's. My dad is a much bigger gin guy and he was impressed so...

Rum - I used to work at the Qwest Center Omaha, and we used to make rum drinks with Cruzan. This shit is pretty good. The white rum is better than the dark, and I haven't tried their Spiced Rum yet, but mix their stuff with any kind of juice and it's fantastic. Again, way cheaper than Bacardi or Captain, and just as good as far as I'm concerned.

Vodka - OK, I don't really drink vodka. I found New Amsterdam makes Vodka as well as Gin, and it seems pretty good to me. But I don't know much about Vodka, so there ya go.

All of these bottles are in the 12 - 15$ range and are quite good. Not cheap, not pricey...

So, whatchoo got CP?

mikeyis4dcats.
02-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Stoli

tooge
02-27-2012, 11:30 AM
sobieski is a good middle of the road vodka. I agree with you on the Cruzan, but I'm fond of Sailor Jerry (call it sailor jelly) too.

Okie_Apparition
02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
I tried some rotgut rum & anything tasted better
First shot or two of bottom of the barrel dregs & anything after is awesome

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 11:34 AM
sobieski is a good middle of the road vodka. I agree with you on the Cruzan, but I'm fond of Sailor Jerry (call it sailor jelly) too.

I do like the Sailor Jerry as well. I tried Trader Vicks...not so much.

lewdog
02-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Glad to see another Evan Williams dude! I get made fun of for drinking it (plastic bottle) but I honestly think it is pretty damn good, especially considering the price.

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
makers, bombay, cazadores, and stoli are all quality with out breaking the bank

Fire Me Boy!
OK, so I'm not some guy who will drink lighter fluid mixed with Coke, but I also don't feel like I want to spend a fortune on a bottle of booze that I'll probably kill in a weekend. SO, CPers, what is your "middle of the road" booze brands? The stuff that you are not ashamed to let people know you have in your liquor cabinet, but at the same time it's not something you'd brag about either?

For me:

Gin - Just discovered New Amsterdam Gin. Since I'm new to Gin, I don't really know what "good" gin is like, but I've had the Bombay Saphire and the Tanqueray, and this stuff for about 14 bucks a bottle is quite good IMO. Great martini's. My dad is a much bigger gin guy and he was impressed so...

I honestly don't buy cheap booze. I don't drink much, so when I do, I want good stuff.

For gin, Tanqueray is OK. Sapphire is solid, but my favorite is Hendricks. Highly recommend it.

CoMoChief
Congress Vodka!

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
wine from trader joes ftw

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
makers, bombay, cazadores, and stoli are all quality with out breaking the bank

Heh. Makers is a bit much. I'm talking sub 20.00 per bottle, but more than 10.

L.A. Chieffan
agreed on the sailor jerry, much preferred over bacardi dark or captain

Der Flöprer
I think Beam is better than Williams, although I only bought by the half gallon, and whichever one was on sale. I started drinking way too fucking much though, and had to give it up completely.

L.A. Chieffan
Heh. Makers is a bit much. I'm talking sub 20.00 per bottle, but more than 10.

bro you can get the 1.5L for around 35

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Glad to see another Evan Williams dude! I get made fun of for drinking it (plastic bottle) but I honestly think it is pretty damn good, especially considering the price.

I've never seen it in the plastic bottle. Evans is actually a damn good bourbon IMO. I like it better than Makers. Frankly, I don't think much of Makers, I don't see what the hype is all about. It's fine, and I'll drink it but it's not the best. Knob Creek is a much better bourbon, but I don't get it much because of the cost.

WhitiE
02-27-2012, 11:43 AM

yup

Der Flöprer
02-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Where? I could only get Jack for that price when it was on sale.

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 11:44 AM

Mostly I see it up here in Omaha for aobut 25.00 a bottle for the 750.

Der Flöprer
I've never seen it in the plastic bottle. Evans is actually a damn good bourbon IMO. I like it better than Makers. Frankly, I don't think much of Makers, I don't see what the hype is all about. It's fine, and I'll drink it but it's not the best. Knob Creek is a much better bourbon, but I don't get it much because of the cost.

Makers is my favorite whiskey on Earth. All brands, all blends, give me Makers first and foremost.

L.A. Chieffan
Where? I could only get Jack for that price when it was on sale.

cvs is usually like 36 or 37 and bevmo had it on sale the other day for 35.

lewdog
02-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I've never seen it in the plastic bottle.

Green label, 1.75 liter bottle.....all plastic.

penguinz
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
bro you can get the 1.5L for around 35Where?

Hoover
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
http://www.templetonrye.com/

Der Flöprer
02-27-2012, 11:47 AM
cvs is usually like 36 or 37 and bevmo had it on sale the other day for 35.

Whew. I wish I couldve found it here for that price. Actually, probably better I didn't. Shit is like a liquid candy bar.

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Where?

my bad its actually the 1.75L, even better!

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?N=40+4294966548+311+4294967146&area=Spirits&ProductID=2474&Ns=Name%7c0

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
i fucking love bevmo

58-4ever
02-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Bulliet Bourbon FTW!!

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Green label, 1.75 liter bottle.....all plastic.

I bought a bottle of the green label a few months back, it's just 80 proof instead of the 86 proof of the black label. It's good to mix with coke. I like the Evans 86 proof straight.

Lzen
02-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Jamison Irish whiskey.

Jack Daniels bourbon whiskey.

Don't ask me for a good rum, vodka, or tequila because I don't really know.

KCFANinNC
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
NA gin is definitely good stuff, especially for the price.

For vodka try potato vodka. Luksusowa is a great price and very clean.

Tequila El Jimador is very good.

Crown Black is a bit higher than your price range, but worth the extra $.

FAX
02-27-2012, 02:15 PM
This is slightly off-topic and I apologize in advance for that, Mr. InChiefsHell, but I don't want to start a whole thread about this and I had just finished reading your thread all the way through and wound up here.

But, have you guys ever worked your way down to the very bottom of a large bag of potato chips to the point that all that was left in the bag were like this little corner of tiny crumbs and so you straighten out the bag real good and stick one open corner in your mouth and then raise the bottom of the bag up real high while tipping your head way back so that the crumbs in the bottom corner will tumble down the crease in the bag and into your mouth but some of the crumbs go up your nose and a couple of them get in your eye?

It feels weird, man.

FAX

Bump
02-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Svedka is a great middle line vodka, I like it just as much as goose and it's half the price. But I pretty much only drink beer, craft beer for that matter.

tooge
02-27-2012, 02:22 PM
This is slightly off-topic and I apologize in advance for that, Mr. InChiefsHell, but I don't want to start a whole thread about this and I had just finished reading your thread all the way through and wound up here.

But, have you guys ever worked your way down to the very bottom of a large bag of potato chips to the point that all that was left in the bag were like this little corner of tiny crumbs and so you straighten out the bag real good and stick one open corner in your mouth and then raise the bottom of the bag up real high while tipping your head way back so that the crumbs in the bottom corner will tumble down the crease in the bag and into your mouth but some of the crumbs go up your nose and a couple of them get in your eye?

It feels weird, man.

FAX

I've had that happen. I just put a little salsa in a bowl and dump them in there and make a little potato chip salad. MMMMMMmmmm

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 02:33 PM

It feels weird, man.

FAX

Why yes I have. To alleviate the problem, I've tried to roll the bag down, like you would roll up your sleeves...but I end up ripping the bag and chip crumbs get all over the carpet which pisses off the wife even if the dog runs over and cleans them all up before they get all ground in...I've found it's just better to use your method. It's worth it to get the last bit of chip deliciousness...

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 02:33 PM
I've had that happen. I just put a little salsa in a bowl and dump them in there and make a little potato chip salad. MMMMMMmmmm

This. Is. Fucking. GENEOUS!

tooge
02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
I thought everyone did this.

Molitoth
02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Best bang for the buck to me is:

Jameson
Svedka

I prefer Goose or Belvedere; but too expensive.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
also, Finlandia vodka

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 02:44 PM
ive had some bad experiences with svedka.

speaking of which, jager is the devil...

vailpass
02-27-2012, 02:44 PM

For me:

Bourbon - Evan Williams. It's a really solid bourbon which IMO is better than Beam by a mile and is about 5 bucks cheaper for a bottle.

Rum - I used to work at the Qwest Center Omaha, and we used to make rum drinks with Cruzan. This shit is pretty good. The white rum is better than the dark, and I haven't tried their Spiced Rum yet, but mix their stuff with any kind of juice and it's fantastic. Again, way cheaper than Bacardi or Captain, and just as good as far as I'm concerned.

Vodka - OK, I don't really drink vodka. I found New Amsterdam makes Vodka as well as Gin, and it seems pretty good to me. But I don't know much about Vodka, so there ya go.

All of these bottles are in the 12 - 15$ range and are quite good. Not cheap, not pricey...

So, whatchoo got CP?

"Middle of the road"? I'm no booze snob but some of these sound more like "found in the ditch".:D

For blended whiskey Seagrams 7 is a middle of the road booze that I'll drink.
For a mid-range, serve-at-partys voda Stoli's is still good.

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 02:45 PM
So, you folks that have made Vodka suggestions...do you drink vodka straight like in the Kettle One commercial or do you mix it...with like juice or Red Bull or something?

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 02:46 PM
So, you folks that have made Vodka suggestions...do you drink vodka straight like in the Kettle One commercial or do you mix it...with like juice or Red Bull or something?

cranberry or oj.

unless im already a few sheets then ill drink it straight

vailpass
02-27-2012, 02:48 PM

I like it with cranberry or as a lemon drop when it's hot.

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 02:48 PM
"Middle of the road"? I'm no booze snob but some of these sound more like "found in the ditch".:D

For blended whiskey Seagrams 7 is a middle of the road booze that I'll drink.
For a mid-range, serve-at-partys voda Stoli's is still good.

To me, Cabin Still, Early Times, Ancient Age, Old Crow...those are bourbons found in a ditch. Like I said, Gin I don't know much about but Barton's at 6 bucks a bottle seems pretty "ditchy" and that Castillo rum for like 8bucks is shit.

I guess I should say this. I have a lower threshold for booze than some. To me, if it's over 20.00 for a 750, then it's a whiskey I have to think about. If it's less than 20 not a problem. If it's less than 10, it's probably rubbing alcohol.

Heh. Perhaps I should have laid out a better definition. Seems like some people's middle of the road whiskeys are ones I would consider higher on the shelf than my own.

Lzen
02-27-2012, 02:49 PM
cranberry or oj.

unless im already a few sheets then ill drink it straight

Yup. Or just mix it with soda pop.

vailpass
02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
To me, Cabin Still, Early Times, Ancient Age, Old Crow...those are bourbons found in a ditch. Like I said, Gin I don't know much about but Barton's at 6 bucks a bottle seems pretty "ditchy" and that Castillo rum for like 8bucks is shit.

I guess I should say this. I have a lower threshold for booze than some. To me, if it's over 20.00 for a 750, then it's a whiskey I have to think about. If it's less than 20 not a problem. If it's less than 10, it's probably rubbing alcohol.

Heh. Perhaps I should have laid out a better definition. Seems like some people's middle of the road whiskeys are ones I would consider higher on the shelf than my own.

I hear you, was just funning about.

Lzen

You forgot Kentucky Deluxe. Good Lord, that stuff is horrible.

BTW, a fifth of Jamison Irish whiskey runs about $25 and it's worth it, IMO.

InChiefsHell
ive had some bad experiences with svedka.

speaking of which, jager is the devil...

Yes. Yes it is.

I remember trying it when I was a kid, and I liked it. Probably because it was free and it was booze. I get near it now and I want to hurl. Yech...

tooge
I drink my vodkas as a vodka martini. Dirty.

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 02:51 PM
You forgot Kentucky Deluxe. Good Lord, that stuff is horrible.

BTW, a fifth of Jamison Irish whiskey runs about $25 and it's worth it, IMO.

Indeed it is, I like Jamison's. It's one of those I would plan on buying though, not just go to pick up. 20.00 is the cut off for that.

Shit. I guess I AM kind of a cheap bastard...

vailpass
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
This thread is making me want to start with a Chilly Bomber at happy hour today.

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
This thread is making me want to start with a Chilly Bomber at happy hour today.

No shit...I'm ready to get home like NOW!.. But I gave up booze for Lent...rather short sighted of me now that I think about it...heh...

Lzen
02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Indeed it is, I like Jamison's. It's one of those I would plan on buying though, not just go to pick up. 20.00 is the cut off for that.

Shit. I guess I AM kind of a cheap bastard...

I think you can still get Jack Daniels for around $20. That would be my preference at that price point.

vailpass
02-27-2012, 02:55 PM
No shit...I'm ready to get home like NOW!.. But I gave up booze for Lent...rather short sighted of me now that I think about it...heh...

Just do like I do and give up fish for Lent.

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
I think you can still get Jack Daniels for around $20. That would be my preference at that price point.

Not around here. Hell, I can get Wild Turkey for 22.00, but Jack is over 25 usually. Not sure why.

And I'd drink Turkey over Jack any day.

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 03:00 PM

LMAO Nice.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-27-2012, 03:00 PM

rarely neat, usually a V&T.

loochy
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Mc Cormick's Vodka - $10 for a handle

http://boozeblogger.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/mccormick_vodka_lores-200x300.jpg

It even comes in a nice plastic bottle so you don't have to worry about breaking it.

FAX
02-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Damn. I never thought of that.

See? This is what makes Chiefsplanet such a great place. You learn something every, single, friggin' day, man. Things that make life just a little better and God knows that, as a man walks this trail of tears in search of serenity and happiness and purpose and meaning, keeping salty chips out of your nose and eyeballs ranks right up there with avoiding squishing your nuts on your bicycle seat when your foot slips off the pedals.

Allow me to offer my most sincere and authentic gratitude to you, Mr. tooge. You, sir, are a great poster and a hero of the first order.

FAX

BigCatDaddy
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Mad Dog 20/20

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Mad Dog 20/20

And thus ends the thread...:thumb:

tooge
02-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Damn. I never thought of that.

See? This is what makes Chiefsplanet such a great place. You learn something every, single, friggin' day, man. Things that make life just a little better and God knows that, as a man walks this trail of tears in search of serenity and happiness and purpose and meaning, keeping salty chips out of your nose and eyeballs ranks right up there with avoiding squishing your nuts on your bicycle seat when your foot slips off the pedals.

Allow me to offer my most sincere and authentic gratitude to you, Mr. tooge. You, sir, are a great poster and a hero of the first order.

FAX

Glad I could contribute to the betterment of mankind. Now, how exactly do I prevent my nuts from getting squished when my foot slips off the pedals?

InChiefsHell
02-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Glad I could contribute to the betterment of mankind. Now, how exactly do I prevent my nuts from getting squished when my foot slips off the pedals?

Stop riding your bike. I did...and I feel much better for it.

Nzoner
02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
OK, so I'm not some guy who will drink lighter fluid mixed with Coke, but I also don't feel like I want to spend a fortune on a bottle of booze that I'll probably kill in a weekend.

Quit mixing shit with pop and the more expensive,better booze will last longer than a weekend. :D

Frazod
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
There's a really good and relatively cheap rum called Kilo Kai that really fucking rocks. Wonderful flavor. I suppose it would be a great mixer, but I just like it straight.

R8RFAN
02-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Black Velvet & Diet Ginger Ale

otherstar
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Not sure about Gin or Vodka since I rarely drink them unless mixed with something else then I really don't care about taste, just the alcohol. :)

As for bourbon: I LOVE George Dickel #12 (white label). You can usually get it for around $20.00 for the 750. It's 90 proof, but very smooth. It's my favorite bourbon...a buddy of mine, who is a bourbon snob, turned me on to it!

Blick
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Good old Evan Williams (E Dub). Loved that shit in college. At 10 bucks for a liter, it was our go-to bottle for a long time.

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Not sure about Gin or Vodka since I rarely drink them unless mixed with something else then I really don't care about taste, just the alcohol. :)

As for bourbon: I LOVE George Dickel #12 (white label). You can usually get it for around $20.00 for the 750. It's 90 proof, but very smooth. It's my favorite bourbon...a buddy of mine, who is a bourbon snob, turned me on to it!

I tried the George Dickel and it is indeed pretty good stuff.

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Quit mixing shit with pop and the more expensive,better booze will last longer than a weekend. :D

Heh. Not the way I drink it.

Actually mostly I drink my bourbon straight over ice. Some rum I'll drink straight and I think mixing scotch or Irish with anything is a crime. Vodka I've never drank straight though.

In fact, as you may recall, the only way I really drink Vodka is with Red Bull. I got that from the guys in the band.

jspchief
02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
So, you folks that have made Vodka suggestions...do you drink vodka straight like in the Kettle One commercial or do you mix it...with like juice or Red Bull or something?I like Stoli with water and a slice of lime.

trndobrd
02-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Bulliet Bourbon FTW!!

Yep. Perfect example of middle of the road Bourbon. Falls precisely between Blantons and Ancient Age.

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Yep. Perfect example of middle of the road Bourbon. Falls precisely between Blantons and Ancient Age.

Bulliet was pretty good, I also liked Buffalo Trace. But again, I'd buy Wild Turkey 101 over any of these.

Radar Chief
02-28-2012, 11:28 AM
http://www.blackheartrum.com/

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 11:52 AM
http://www.blackheartrum.com/

Actually, I tried that and was very disappointed. Seemed a little bitter as I recall.

I want to try that Kraken rum one of these days.

listopencil
02-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Actually, I tried that and was very disappointed. Seemed a little bitter as I recall.

I got a bottle of the Kraken. It's OK for rum and cokes but the licorice aftertaste messes up hot drinks for me. I prefer Sailor Jerry's.

L.A. Chieffan
02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
sailor jerrys is the undisputed spiced rum champion.

vailpass
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
How do you people know all these brands? Maybe I'm missing out by getting all of my booze through grocery delivery, drive through or Sam's Club?

NewChief
02-28-2012, 12:10 PM
How do you people know all these brands? Maybe I'm missing out by getting all of my booze through grocery delivery, drive through or Sam's Club?

Yes, you are. I'm not sure if half of them are just slight variations all produced by the same company, but there's been an explosion of brands in liquors as of late. Every section of booze from rum, to vodka, to whiskey, to gin, to tequila has a ton of different middle to high end brands out there.

Of course, that doesn't mean you're actually missing anything, but I'd definitely seen this trend explode in liquor stores within the last few years. I think high end Vodka was the initial boom, and the rest of the boozes followed quickly.

Anyway, I buy at Sam's pretty often as well, but their selection is pretty mainstream.

L.A. Chieffan
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM

got to go to bevmo man. its the alkys paradise

vailpass
02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
got to go to bevmo man. its the alkys paradise

Yeah we have them all over out here and I should definitely hit one. I'm in a comfort zone though with ordering online from Safeway with my groceries or rolling through the drive through at Sportsman's.
Good advice.

Frazod
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
sailor jerrys is the undisputed spiced rum champion.

You really should try Kilo Kai.

vailpass
02-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Yes, you are. I'm not sure if half of them are just slight variations all produced by the same company, but there's been an explosion of brands in liquors as of late. Every section of booze from rum, to vodka, to whiskey, to gin, to tequila has a ton of different middle to high end brands out there.

Of course, that doesn't mean you're actually missing anything, but I'd definitely seen this trend explode in liquor stores within the last few years. I think high end Vodka was the initial boom, and the rest of the boozes followed quickly.

Anyway, I buy at Sam's pretty often as well, but their selection is pretty mainstream.

Interesting. The tequila variety I have covered in spades (here in little Mexico, imagine that) but I haven't really ventured afar on the other stuff in years other than at bars.
My heart says yes but my liver screams no.

sedated
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
For the people who mix their vodka (screwdrivers, russians, coke, whatever), try getting a bottle of Viaka. Yes, the same Viaka made popular by transients with nothing but pocket-change to fuel their habit.

A liquor store owner let me know a few years ago that it’s the same as McCormick, which I used to buy. Literally with nothing more than a different label. It’s a few bucks cheaper for a handle of Viaka, and tastes the same in everything I’ve ever used it for.

Dartgod
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM

I 'm not Catholic, so I'm curious. Can you give up Lent for Lent?

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM
Here in Omaha, I go to the HyVee Wine and Spirits, their selection is amazing. Other than that, for really special stuff there's Spirit World, but I haven't been there in a long time.

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Heh. Nope...but that's an interesting thought.

smittysbar
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
San Juan spiced rum, my favorite drink, and it is CHEAP!

vailpass
02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

Great question, I don't think so. I tried a lot of those dodges as a Catholic school kid including the "give up fish for lent" angle. Mostly what it got me was a knock upside the head.

vailpass
02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Here in Omaha, I go to the HyVee Wine and Spirits, their selection is amazing. Other than that, for really special stuff there's Spirit World, but I haven't been there in a long time.

I'd suck cock for a HyVee in Scottsdale.
Good news is the owner of the MaidRite franchise is looking to put one in Phoenix.

Radar Chief
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM

Sure that wasn’t Oak Heart? That’s a new Bacardi rum that is aged in oak barrels and tastes like it.
Black Heart is actually a little on the sweet side, mixing it with Coke makes it taste like there’s a hint of cherry in there. While I’m not a fan of cherry Coke I love the flavor of Black Heart and Coke.
I’ve tried Kraken and it’s not bad, doesn’t seem have as much flavor to it as a Sailor Jerry’s or Black Heart to me.

phisherman
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
For the people who mix their vodka (screwdrivers, russians, coke, whatever), try getting a bottle of Viaka. Yes, the same Viaka made popular by transients with nothing but pocket-change to fuel their habit.

A liquor store owner let me know a few years ago that it’s the same as McCormick, which I used to buy. Literally with nothing more than a different label. It’s a few bucks cheaper for a handle of Viaka, and tastes the same in everything I’ve ever used it for.

Dude, McCormick is rotgut. Period.

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Sure that wasn’t Oak Heart? That’s a new Bacardi rum that is aged in oak barrels and tastes like it.
Black Heart is actually a little on the sweet side, mixing it with Coke makes it taste like there’s a hint of cherry in there. While I’m not a fan of cherry Coke I love the flavor of Black Heart and Coke.
I’ve tried Kraken and it’s not bad, doesn’t seem have as much flavor to it as a Sailor Jerry’s or Black Heart to me.
Pretty sure it was Black Heart, but it's been awhile. Maybe I'll have to try it again. I don't mix rum with coke, I only put juice in it, like OJ or Pineapple or something like that, so maybe that was why I didn't like it. Maybe it didn't mix well that way.

Fire Me Boy!
02-28-2012, 03:42 PM

I like Kraken. :thumb:

smittysbar
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
I like Kraken. :thumb:

Kraken tastes more like a bourbon to me than a spiced rum

otherstar
02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Dude, McCormick is rotgut. Period.

Yeah, but if you're mixing it with orange juice does it really matter?

If you're not mixing it, then yes, it matters.

Besides it's made in Weston, MO.

InChiefsHell
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
So here in Omaha there is a brewery called Lucky Bucket. They make a Vodka call "Joss". Bought a bottle this weekend for 29.99. It's actually got more "flavor" than any other I've tried but since I'm not a vodka guy, I still don't know if it's "good" or not. I did like it though, made a really nice Vodka Martini.

InChiefsHell
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Kraken tastes more like a bourbon to me than a spiced rum

Hmmm...sign me up!

Graystoke
04-24-2012, 12:27 PM
So here in Omaha there is a brewery called Lucky Bucket. They make a Vodka call "Joss". Bought a bottle this weekend for 29.99. It's actually got more "flavor" than any other I've tried but since I'm not a vodka guy, I still don't know if it's "good" or not. I did like it though, made a really nice Vodka Martini.

So that is not middle of the road booze then...right??

I picked up my new fav bourbon on sale at Hy-Vee for $29.99. I like this better then Templeton anymore.

http://twocooksonekitchen.squarespace.com/storage/cr_bourbon_image_cvza.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1322409478760

InChiefsHell
04-24-2012, 12:38 PM
So that is not middle of the road booze then...right??

I picked up my new fav bourbon on sale at Hy-Vee for $29.99. I like this better then Templeton anymore.

http://twocooksonekitchen.squarespace.com/storage/cr_bourbon_image_cvza.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1322409478760

I guess not. It's more that I would pay for a bottle normally. Just wondering if anyone had heard of or tried it.

I'll have to look for that bourbon at our HyVee...

Radar Chief
04-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah, but if you're mixing it with orange juice does it really matter?

If you're not mixing it, then yes, it matters.

Besides it's made in Weston, MO.

Mrs. Radar is a vodka fan but she can’t drink the cheap shit like McCormick, Vostok or even Smirnoff, which I tried telling her isn’t exactly “cheap” but she still doesn’t like it. Even in a mixed drink she can tell if it has anything other than Absolute or Grey Goose.

Fire Me Boy!
04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Mrs. Radar is a vodka fan but she can’t drink the cheap shit like McCormick, Vostok or even Smirnoff, which I tried telling her isn’t exactly “cheap” but she still doesn’t like it. Even in a mixed drink she can tell if it has anything other than Absolute or Grey Goose.

42 Below is a wonderful vodka. Better than Absolute or Grey Goose, if you ask me.

gblowfish
04-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Cisco...the neon red is the best!

kysirsoze
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Trader Joe's liquor is pretty damn good. They have a ten dollar bottle of Tequila there that is better than Cuervo IMO. (Not great but perfect for margaritas)

Rebel Yell Bourbon is a great cheap whiskey, too.

mdchiefsfan
04-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Evan Williams FTW!!!

Radar Chief
04-24-2012, 04:37 PM
42 Below is a wonderful vodka. Better than Absolute or Grey Goose, if you ask me.

We’ll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion. :thumb:

Cave Johnson
04-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Been drinking Lunazul blanco for a while. $16 and great for margaritas (with organic lime juice).

Fire Me Boy!
04-24-2012, 05:09 PM
We’ll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion. :thumb:

I found it on sale for less than $20/750mL

Pablo
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Mrs. Radar is a vodka fan but she can’t drink the cheap shit like McCormick, Vostok or even Smirnoff, which I tried telling her isn’t exactly “cheap” but she still doesn’t like it. Even in a mixed drink she can tell if it has anything other than Absolute or Grey Goose.Most Wanted and Tito's both make pretty good vodka products.

Unless you're buying Viaka; vodka is pretty much vodka. A $15 bottle of Smirnoff doesn't taste much different to me than Absolut.

You could always just buy a fifth of Smirnoff or Svedka and wait until she drinks half the bottle of Absolut, top it off with one of the "cheap" vodkas and then throw it back in the cabinet.

Works like a charm.