PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dontari Poe

Mr_Tomahawk
02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
Sporting News' @RussLande on NT Dontari Poe: "Don't be shocked if Poe ends up being picked by the #Chiefs at No. 11."

Thoughts?

keg in kc
02-27-2012, 11:51 AM
I would not be shocked at all.

Detoxing
I wouldn't be upset, though i'd rather see the Chiefs trade down and grab him. His combine numbers are freakish. A man that big shouldn't be able to move that fast.

Imagine trying to steal a cheeseburger from that guy? Fuck that.

Mr. Laz
Everyone run ... here comes the Poe Powe!!!

http://laist.com/attachments/la_lisab/Po-Po.jpg

Urc Burry
02-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Like his potential.... 44 reps and 4.87 40. I also liked how he came in at 6'3 instead of 6'5..but he is really raw and might not even start year 1

Zeke
02-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I'd like it more if we got him late first-early second, which is where he's projected.

KurtCobain
02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
I hate reaching for already propped up guys.

It's alright, I guess. I can psych myself into it.

mcaj22
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Like his potential.... 44 reps and 4.87 40. I also liked how he came in at 6'3 instead of 6'5..but he is really raw and might not even start year 1

he ran a 4.9 official 40

I've been watching him all morning do these drills on the NFL network

Shox
02-27-2012, 12:04 PM
I have thought for weeks he will be the Chiefs 1st round pick. If they trade back very far he will be gone.

His abilities and Romeo coaching and motivational efforts and he will make a run a defensive ROY.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 12:12 PM
He is one of the few players I would be okay with at that spot with any chance of being on the board when we pick. If we can back up 5 spots and grab a 3rd rounder to boot, even better.

Epic Fail 007
02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
He is projected to us in a couple of mocks.

Gonzo
02-27-2012, 12:17 PM
It would be a little bit of a reach but the guy is a beast. KC is building one hell of a defense and they could really use the beef up front. I'd like this pick over a running back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Detoxing
02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
It would be a little bit of a reach but the guy is a beast. KC is building one hell of a defense and they could really use the beef up front. I'd like this pick over a running back.
Posted via Mobile Device

The only thing i wouldn't like about this pick is that we could be looking at another 3 years of development before it starts paying off. I've watched enough young DT's develop in the last few years.

Bump
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Everyone run ... here comes the Poe Powe!!!

http://laist.com/attachments/la_lisab/Po-Po.jpg

while that would be an incredibly great nickname for a pair of NT's, I don't want Poe in the first, I would be pissed.

Fairplay
02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I was thinking we might get David DeCastro.

I already have a few nick-names made up for him. I've spent some time and effort into this pick lets not blow it.

Bump
02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
I was thinking we might get David DeCastro.

I already have a few nick-names made up for him. I've spent some time and effort into this pick lets not blow it.

Decastro wouldn't bother me too much if we got Peyton Manning.

The Poz
02-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Would you guys rather see Poe get drafted in the 1st or sign Soliai and then draft O-lineman?

Direckshun
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Would you guys rather see Poe get drafted in the 1st or sign Soliai and then draft O-lineman?

Yes.

RustShack
02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Soliai and DeCastro would be great.

Dr. Gigglepants
02-27-2012, 12:34 PM
JC Pearson was on fescoe about 3 or 4 weeks ago talking about him. He has seen him play several times and wasn't impressed. He also brought up the fact that he only made 2nd team all conference this year (C USA I believe). He kind of soured me on him. He is a physical freak though. We can almost take anyone at 11 and fill a need though so it wouldn't kill me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Shox
02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I would prefer signinga a FA OT and drafting Poe. No way I would be happy with a G with the 11th pick.

Bump
02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Soliai and DeCastro would be great.

I'd be happy with that. Decastro looked pretty good in that scouting combine.

saphojunkie
02-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Poe + Grubbs

OR

Soliai + DeCastro.

Yeah, I'm good either way.

RustShack
02-27-2012, 12:38 PM
What FA OT's are out there? All I've really heard about is the guards. Typically I agree with no OG this high, but he's the best prospect since Hutchinson. Also won't get paid as much thanks to the new CBA, and lastly we don't have holes everywhere like normal. Sometimes you just can't pass up on great players... Especially when you have a hole at that position.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-27-2012, 12:40 PM
Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva
#Memphis NT Dontari Poe's "official" 40 time was 4.98, more than a tenth of a second slower than his "unofficial" time.

saphojunkie
02-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Regardless, running a sub-5 second 40 is ridiculous for a guy his size, and he's clearly not giving up anything in strength.

The good news is that there are multiple options for us in the draft and free agency for a couple different positions of need.

Bump
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
we already have 2 top 5 picks on the d-line, I think it would be kind of stupid to add another first round on it.

Direckshun
02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
I think you dangle an offer in front of Soliai that works to our every financial advantage. If he takes it, you're gold.

If not, you can take Poe. It's perfect leverage.

This gives us all kinds of leverage to land a reasonably-priced franchise NT for years. We absolutely must do this.

Discuss Thrower
02-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Okay so, the Giants kind of made the case that you can win with replacement level players in the backfield as long as you have a baller ass pass rush, but they're a 4-3...

What would KC have to do to have that kind of killed sack-attack?

Direckshun
02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Okay so, the Giants kind of made the case that you can win with replacement level players in the backfield as long as you have a baller ass pass rush, but they're a 4-3...

Well they can't just stack up at OLB.

They're going to need a DE or two to step up, and Houston to continue developing.

ChiefRocka
02-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Well they can't just stack up at OLB.

They're going to need a DE or two to step up, and Houston to continue developing.

Bailey already looks like a nice replacement for Dorsey.

I love how young we are.

Put me in the Solai + OL group

Chiefs Pantalones
02-27-2012, 01:33 PM
It's great that he has an impressive 40 time...because that matters for a NT if he's covering WRs. I'm more impressed with his strength.

Fat Elvis
02-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Pick up Soliai and draft Poe; we could have one heck of a 5-2 defense (pretty much what the Texans run).

Bailey, Dorsey, Soliai, Poe, Hali
Houston, Johnson
Flowers, Berry, Lewis, Routt

Shox
02-27-2012, 01:49 PM
It's great that he has an impressive 40 time...because that matters for a NT if he's covering WRs. I'm more impressed with his strength.

Best in the entire combine - 44. Dude is STRONG.

saphojunkie
02-27-2012, 01:53 PM

When he's chasing down a runner fifteen yards towards the sideline and three yards behind the line of scrimmage, that speed will matter.

It also shows a quickness that is vital to us getting a pass rush up the middle.

suds79
02-27-2012, 01:55 PM

Does anybody know his 10 yard time from those 40s?

Either way. To have a man that big, that strong and that athletic is pretty freakish.

Would like the deal better if we could trade down to get him.

Furthermore, I like the idea of signing a FA NT and drafting Poe. I think it'd be the smart move long term & you know you can't necessarily really on rookie D-linemen since it takes time to develop.

Detoxing
02-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Best in the entire combine - 44. Dude is STRONG.

Yeah, but if he's getting pushed around at the LOS then you need to question how strong his core is.

Bench press is nice, but a strong core is far more valuable.

Chiefnj2
02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Here are the top bench-press results at the combine since 2000:

Paea: 49
Petrus: 45
Kudla: 45
Larsen: 45
Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia (2010): 44
Brodrick Bunkley, DT, Florida State (2006): 44
Scott Young, G, BYU (2005): 43
Tank Tyler, DT, North Carolina State (2007): 42
Isaac Sopoaga, DT, Hawaii (2004): 42

Mr. Laz
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Pick up Soliai and draft Poe; we could have one heck of a 5-2 defense (pretty much what the Texans run).

Houston, Johnson
would love that for certain situations

geared to stop the run and still defend the deep pass

can Houston handle the increased responsibility?

Houston, Johnson
Flowers, Berry, Carr*, Routt

* :D

DJ's left nut
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Plays with shit leverage, couldn't dominate mediocre competition. He's a workout warrior and little else. He's the Vernon Gholston of NTs.

I don't want him in the 1st at all. He's probably a 5-tech on this team anyway and frankly I'm tired of throwing picks at the position.

If we take Poe in the 1st, when they do the 'redraft' on Yahoo in 3 years, I'm betting we take some arrows. The kid has bust all over him, IMO. That's fine in the 2nd round, but not an acceptable 1st rounder.

Coogs
02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Does anybody know his 10 yard time from those 40s?

Have not seen official results, but someone over in the nfldraftcountdown forums reported his 10 yard split was 1.7

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51171&page=46

suds79
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Plays with shit leverage, couldn't dominate mediocre competition. He's a workout warrior and little else. He's the Vernon Gholston of NTs.

I don't want him in the 1st at all. He's probably a 5-tech on this team anyway and frankly I'm tired of throwing picks at the position.

If we take Poe in the 1st, when they do the 'redraft' on Yahoo in 3 years, I'm betting we take some arrows. The kid has bust all over him, IMO. That's fine in the 2nd round, but not an acceptable 1st rounder.

That's fine if you're not a fan. I just don't get having the feeling that a guy absolutely stinks but would be okay with a 2nd on him.

Also, why do you say he's a 5-tech? With his body I'd think he's perfectly suited for the Nose.

YayMike
02-27-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'd rather sign Soliai and draft Richardson.

Fat Elvis
02-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Houston, Johnson

would love that for certain situations

geared to stop the run and still defend the deep pass

can Houston handle the increased responsibility?

Houston, Johnson
Flowers, Berry, Carr*, Routt

* :D

I would use it for a base defense and not just for special packages, and yes, I think Houston has matured a lot over the past year and can handle the added responsibility.

The thing with that particular lineup isn't just the fact that it would be stout up front, but it would be a bunch of freaks with incredible speed.

The front five amounts to over 1550 lbs of humanity--all of which can run a 5.1 forty or faster. We're not talking about a bunch of fat bodies flopping around, we're talking about mega-tonnage explosive firepower. Our defense could absolutely dictate what happens on the field.

DJ's left nut
02-27-2012, 02:40 PM
That's fine if you're not a fan. I just don't get having the feeling that a guy absolutely stinks but would be okay with a 2nd on him.

Also, why do you say he's a 5-tech? With his body I'd think he's perfectly suited for the Nose.

Because asking him to play a 2-gap 0-tech is to waste his athleticism. At that point, you're just looking for a fatbody. I think they'd prefer use him like Seymore and have him slide in/out on the line.

I don't see him as a 2-gap 0.

And I won't deny that he has a Seymore-esque upside, but the odds of him actually hitting that are damn remote. That's what makes him such a good 2nd rounder, but not a good fit for the 11th overall. You don't take risks that big that high unless it's on a QB, IMO.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2012, 02:42 PM
I would use it for a base defense and not just for special packages, and yes, I think Houston has matured a lot over the past year and can handle the added responsibility.

The thing with that particular lineup isn't just the fact that it would be stout up front, but it would be a bunch of freaks with incredible speed.

The front five amounts to over 1550 lbs of humanity--all of which can run a 5.1 forty or faster. We're not talking about a bunch of fat bodies flopping around, we're talking about mega-tonnage explosive firepower. Our defense could absolutely dictate what happens on the field.
what about keeping Carr around and running 3 corners and 1 safety all the time?

:evil:

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Another thing you to consider next season is Dorsey is in a contract year, and if Poe is truly scheme and position diverse it could plug two spots of possible need in the future for KC

Mr. Laz
02-27-2012, 03:05 PM

if you want to run a 5-2-4, wouldn't it be better to just walk Houston up all the time?

Houston - Jackson - Solai - Dorsey - Hali
Belcher - Johnson
Routt-Berry-Carr-Flowers

Houston and Hali set the edge on either side and rush the passer.
Routt and Flowers at the LOS playing bump and run
Berry and Carr playing 10 yrds off in a short zone

stops the edge rush on either side and provides natural pass rush
keeps 3 DL in the middle for the interior rush
stops the quick pass but still provides middle deep help

:shrug:

Micjones
02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
I'd prefer Soliai in Free Agency and Tannehill at 11.

Fat Elvis
02-27-2012, 03:10 PM
what about keeping Carr around and running 3 corners and 1 safety all the time?

:evil:

I like the prospect of keeping Carr as well.

Inmem58
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
I'd prefer Soliai in Free Agency and Tannehill at 11.

Bingo.

This would perfect.

Chocolate Hog
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
12 tackles his Sr year in the CUSA? No thanks.

suds79
02-27-2012, 04:14 PM
12 tackles his Sr year in the CUSA? No thanks.

I'm starting to come around on this thought. That is a big red flag. :(

BoneKrusher
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
yep, sounds like a typical pioli pick

Mr. Laz
02-27-2012, 04:30 PM
yep, sounds like a typical pioli pick
exact opposite of a 'pioli pick'

Poe would be high risk/high reward, workout warrior pick

an Al Davis pick

Pioli would rather go high character with less talent, safer pick.

So maybe you should actually pay attention instead of just looking for any chance to talk smack, trying to be one of the cool kids.

58-4ever
02-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Does everyone truly believe that Tannehill is worth the 11th pick in the draft? I saw the kid play multiple times last year and was not super impressed. I'm wondering what everyone sees that I don't.

BoneKrusher
02-27-2012, 04:33 PM
exact opposite of a 'pioli pick'

Poe would be high risk/high reward, workout warrior pick

an Al Davis pick

Pioli would rather go high character with less talent, safer pick.

So maybe you should actually pay attention instead of just looking for any chance to talk smack, trying to be one of the cool kids.

nice job on paying attention.:thumb:

Fat Elvis
02-27-2012, 04:39 PM
Does everyone truly believe that Tannehill is worth the 11th pick in the draft? I saw the kid play multiple times last year and was not super impressed. I'm wondering what everyone sees that I don't.

They see Matt Cassel is our starting QB.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
not really

He might be worth in the long run, but he shouldn't be drafted in the 1st round.

He's too raw ... it would a NBA-ish draft based on potential.

T-post Tom
02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Horrible 1st round pick. Combine freak that played mediocre football against medocre competition. NFL project. 2nd round pick at best. And that's being generous.

Bewbies
02-27-2012, 05:57 PM
He didn't play in the SEC, so Pioli isn't interested.... :)

The Poz
02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Gimme Soliai, Grubbs and one of the many ILB in free agency (Tulloch, Hawthorne, Lofton) then draft the best available OT in the first (Reiff, Adams or Martin) then Osweiler in the second with Bernard Pierce in the 3rd. That's what you can gimme.

hometeam
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
I like Poe, but can we please not pick another d lineman in the first round. Shit is getting old.

Ultra Peanut
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm starting to come around on this thought. That is a big red flag. :(
The team around him was Fucking. Horrible. Absolutely fucking wretched, one of the most pathetic, poorly-coached sacks of shit I've ever watched as a Memphis fan (which is saying something!). The D-Line was solid a lot of the time, and everything else on was a horror show.

He's not a finished product by any means, but watching him play was one of the few things that made last season slightly less excruciating.

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Another issue that could affect the #11 pick is Parcells' Planet Theory.

L.A. Chieffan
02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
this is the guy...watch

whoman69
02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Not playing at a big-time program should not be a disqualifier. DTs bust in the draft all the time because they don't consistently put forth the effort. They're fat and slow. This guy is athletic, faster than some of the LBs in the draft, and he looks like he puts forth the effort. Its going to be a risk, but I think its one the Chiefs should definitely be looking at. This team is a top NT away from being an elite defense. As good as the D was, we gave up 133 rush yards a game.

Chiefnj2
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Not playing at a big-time program should not be a disqualifier. DTs bust in the draft all the time because they don't consistently put forth the effort. They're fat and slow. This guy is athletic, faster than some of the LBs in the draft, and he looks like he puts forth the effort. Its going to be a risk, but I think its one the Chiefs should definitely be looking at. This team is a top NT away from being an elite defense. As good as the D was, we gave up 133 rush yards a game.

Except every scouting report said the kid took lots of plays off.

CoMoChief
02-28-2012, 12:24 PM

Well you also have to look at the fact that most teams aren't going to pass as much when Hali and Houston are breathing down the QB's neck and Flowers, Routt, and Berry roaming around in the secondary.

God this team DESPERATELY needs to "really" address the NT issue.

ChiefRocka
02-28-2012, 01:14 PM

It was kinda like a lame duck president for Poe last year.

I don't blame him, he would get coached up by Romeo.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-28-2012, 01:17 PM

KC was one of the best defenses in the league the last half of the season including getting sacks and pressuring the QB.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM

He didn't have enough starts for my taste. The track record of QB's with his amount of starts is pretty piss poor.

ForeverChiefs58
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Opposing line coach on Dontari Poe: “He took plays off”

Memphis nose tackle Dontari Poe absolutely blew up the Scouting Combine. He was hand timed as fast as 4.87 in the forty-yard dash at 6-foot-4 and 346 pounds. He led every player invited to Indianapolis with 44 reps on the 225-pound bench press.

But can Poe play football, or is he just a workout warrior?

CBS Sports’ Bruce Feldman interviewed one veteran college offensive line coach who game planned against Poe in Conference USA. The position coach gave Poe mixed reviews.

“He’s probably the best talent I’ve seen in several years,” said the assistant. “He took plays off and wasn’t a great effort guy, but he is a freakish talent.”

Feldman suggested that most oversized defensive linemen take some snaps off.

“Yeah,” the coach conceded. “But he took off more than most. He did get better last year than he was the year before. He just was never that productive, but I heard they didn’t require him to do that much. He was definitely someone I took into account with schemes. … I’m not at all surprised to hear that he’s blowing up at the Combine, at all.”

Poe started 30 games in college, racking up 21 1/2 tackles for loss, five sacks, and seven forced fumbles. The C-USA coaches voted him second-team all-conference in 2011.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/28/opposing-line-coach-on-dontari-poe-he-took-plays-off/

whoman69
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM

Maybe its because they couldn't afford to give him plays off. He'll be in a rotation here.

BossChief
02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
I like the combination of a raw player that has truly ELITE tools being paired with a coach like Romeo who has been the best 3-4 2gap DL coach of our generation, because that gives the player a better chance of being able to develop into a beast of a player...I just don't think he would be a good pick to stand pat at 11 and take there.

If we can move back to 20 or so, sure...but not at 11.

Especially when there will almost assuredly be a blue chip quality player there for us to take.

Like Trent Richardson.

salame
02-28-2012, 03:32 PM
he had like 24 tackles all season

58-4ever
02-28-2012, 03:37 PM
With his combine performance and athleticism, Poe is climbing up the first round very quickly. I would love to see us trade back a few spots and grab him. Say NO to Tennehill.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-28-2012, 03:39 PM
he had like 24 tackles all season

Using tackle stats as a guideline for a nose :facepalm:

Chiefnj2
02-28-2012, 03:47 PM

He wasn't a NT at Memphis. They moved him all around the line.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
He wasn't a NT at Memphis. They moved him all around the line.

It still isn't a tell all sign of his level of play.

BossChief
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
A nose guard that averages 2 TFLs every 3 games, a FF every 4 games and A sack every 6 games is fairly disruptive. That breaks down to averages of 11 TFL, 3 sacks and 4 forced fumbles/ year with a 16 game schedule.

I'd like to see how stout he was at the point of attack.

Can the guy anchor?...his production and combine times indicates that he can move extremely well for a man his size.

For what he would be asked to do here, though, he would NEED to be ae to anchor against guard/center combinations week in and week out to be a difference maker and do so without losing his ability to be disruptive.

Without watching film, it's nearly impossible to see how a good a player like him is in terms of being able to hunker down and anchor a defense.

Chiefnj2
02-28-2012, 03:59 PM
http://youtu.be/g0IaNI-3sw4

Beware of 2nd rounders who become top 15 guys because of the combine.

salame
02-28-2012, 04:40 PM

I know one thing for sure. He isn't anywhere near Terrence Cody and will get drafted MUCH higher. He rotated all over the line for Memphis and wasn't productive even against shitter teams.

BossChief
02-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I know one thing for sure. He isn't anywhere near Terrence Cody and will get drafted MUCH higher. He rotated all over the line for Memphis and wasn't productive even against shitter teams.

Why do you say be wasn't near Cody?

Mayock seems to think this guy has a chance to be the next Ngata.

salame
02-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Sorry Boss I didn't know Poe went to Iowa

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-28-2012, 04:55 PM

Who's mult are you?

salame
02-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Who's mult are you?

PGM

BossChief
02-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Sorry Boss I didn't know Poe went to Iowa

If he did, we wouldnt be hearing about him being "raw".

That's for sure.

I was just asking cause I haven't seen the kid play and you indicated that you might have.

JMO, but I would rather spend a third on a guy like Chapman from Bama, but with a coach like Romeo this kid could definitely be on our radar.

salame
02-28-2012, 05:04 PM
If he did, we wouldnt be hearing about him being "raw".

That's for sure.

I was just asking cause I haven't seen the kid play and you indicated that you might have.

JMO, but I would rather spend a third on a guy like Chapman from Bama, but with a coach like Romeo this kid could definitely be on our radar.

Everything I have read says that he takes plays off and was very unproductive during his time at Memphis. His stats don't lie. He played 4 d-line spots at Memphis. Is he better than Kelly Gregg probably. Powe? Maybe. Worth the 11th pick? No way. I don't think the Chiefs put a premium on NT anyway otherwise we would have Cody or Raji or any of the 20 other decent NT prospects we have all scratched our heads on them not drafting/signing.

Ultra Peanut
02-28-2012, 08:31 PM
I watched a bunch of Memphis games (on shitty streams, admittedly) and came away loving what Poe (and a couple of other D-Line guys) brought to an otherwise miserable team to watch. Being double-teamed a lot and being surrounded/backed up by utter shit might have caused him to take some plays off, but considering the horrible situation the team was in once Porter's complete lack of coaching ability became obvious I can understand it, to be honest.

Watching Memphis football the past couple of years was like being on a death march. It's so nice to be entering a new era, heading to a new conference, and watching one of Memphis' own shoot up the draft boards.

Maybe its because they couldn't afford to give him plays off. He'll be in a rotation here.This is absolutely correct. The entire team lacked depth after Porter ran off a shitton of players before both seasons. So many huge leads were blown precisely because the defense got completely gassed in the second half.

Justin Fuente took over as head coach with ~50 players left on the roster, as I recall.

jspchief
02-28-2012, 08:40 PM
I'll pass on Mike Mamula, thanks anyway

Dave Lane
02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'd rather sign Soliai and draft Richardson.

Ditto. I never want to see Jackie Battle on anything but special teams.

Chief_For_Life58
02-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Everything I have read says that he takes plays off and was very unproductive during his time at Memphis. His stats don't lie. He played 4 d-line spots at Memphis. Is he better than Kelly Gregg probably. Powe? Maybe. Worth the 11th pick? No way. I don't think the Chiefs put a premium on NT anyway otherwise we would have Cody or Raji or any of the 20 other decent NT prospects we have all scratched our heads on them not drafting/signing.

id take trent or castro at 11 if theyre there over poe. Why would poe be the next ngata if he cant even dictate play at a c-usa game? what makes u think he can fuck up vertern nfl offensive lineman? If hes taking plays off in college, sounds like another nfl bust to me

Tribal Warfare
02-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Another possibility why KC would select Poe is with his versatility KC might use him at DE too since Dorsey is on a contract year next season.

mcaj22
02-29-2012, 02:47 AM
this dude sound's like the NBA version of JaVale McGee; freakish tools and gifts but translates to not what you expect on the court or in this case, field.

whoman69
02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
id take trent or castro at 11 if theyre there over poe. Why would poe be the next ngata if he cant even dictate play at a c-usa game? what makes u think he can **** up vertern nfl offensive lineman? If hes taking plays off in college, sounds like another nfl bust to me

From people who have actually watched those games, he is out there for every snap because they don't have the depth. He's going to wear down, but they couldn't afford to take him out fo the lineup. How many 300lb plus players do you see in there every down in the NFL?

salame
02-29-2012, 08:50 PM
From people who have actually watched those games, he is out there for every snap because they don't have the depth. He's going to wear down, but they couldn't afford to take him out fo the lineup. How many 300lb plus players do you see in there every down in the NFL?

most 3-4 defensive ends

The Bad Guy
02-29-2012, 09:00 PM
most 3-4 defensive ends

Yeah, that's not true.

Easy 6
02-29-2012, 09:14 PM
I admittedly dont know a thing about the guy, maybe he's worth a shot... but with all of the youth we're grooming up front, i'd prefer to see a proven vet like Soliai who can step in day one & get it done.

With even a decent qb, this team is dangerous Right Now... waiting around for a rookie to mature, at a spot that needs shored up Right Now, isnt what i have in mind.

Lets use the draft to fill in the depth/starter pusher blanks at positions like lb, o-line & rb, where we conceivably have some time to be patient, and use free agency to get the guys we need to start right away.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 06:04 PM
After doing film study on Memphis NT Dontari Poe, Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande compares him to former first-round draft busts Ryan Sims and Jimmy Kennedy.
Lande believes Poe is too much of a one-gap penetrator to be a classic 3-4 nose tackle. Sims and Kennedy also had massive bodies, but didn't play sound or attract double teams. Lande claims Poe "does not play like an elite talent" and "is much more of a big three-technique than a true nose." Poe has the makings of a high-ceiling NFL player, but he'll have to change his game in the pros.

KCrockaholic
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Just say no to Poe. I felt the same thing as Russ Lande when I watched Poe play finally (It's difficult enough to find his games). Maybe if he gets with a GREAT coordinator he could blossom. But there is just far too much bust potential.

DTLB58
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
If he is not a true 2 gap 3-4 NT I wouldn't worry about Pioli drafting him. He isn't going to take a guy that doesn't fir into Romeo's D.

I found something interesting last night going through the roster on kcchiefs.com Powe is the only guy that has NT listed next to his name everyone else is DT.

Saccopoo
03-05-2012, 09:26 PM
If he is not a true 2 gap 3-4 NT I wouldn't worry about Pioli drafting him. He isn't going to take a guy that doesn't fir into Romeo's D.

I found something interesting last night going through the roster on kcchiefs.com Powe is the only guy that has NT listed next to his name everyone else is DT.

Powe is going to play. They guy works hard and has very good leverage. Like most nose tackles, he's going to have to work on his technique, but he's got the tools to be an effective pure nose tackle.

It's why I'll take Gregg for another season. He's a savvy vet whose made a career of plugging that two gap. (Though Gregg, like another very good NFL NT, Ted Washington, was also an All-American wrestler. That understanding of leverage gives you a leg up, IMO, at the NT position.) Have Powe continue to learn and play alongside Gregg, and with a full summer of training camp, I'm betting Powe ends up playing a lot more this next season.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
NOPoE.

Deberg_1990
09-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Beasting today! Thanks Pioli!

DaFace
09-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Aww. Now my thread looks like a repost. :sulk:

MotherfuckerJones
09-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I can't fucking stand Russ Lande. Ya he had Nassib number 1

Strongside
09-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Dude is good. Really good. Especially for coming into the league as such a raw talent. Might be Vince Wilfork 2.0 in the making.

L.A. Chieffan
09-08-2013, 04:16 PM
this is the guy...watch

I got so much shit for saying we'd draft Poe and then I was pretty much the only one that said it was a good pick right after.

See guys? Just listen to me.

Easy 6
09-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Dude is good. Really good. Especially for coming into the league as such a raw talent. Might be Vince Wilfork 2.0 in the making.

He's gonna be even better than Vince, much quicker and more athletic.

Kiimosabi
09-08-2013, 04:34 PM
I got so much shit for saying we'd draft Poe and then I was pretty much the only one that said it was a good pick right after.

See guys? Just listen to me.

You and everyone else who believed get major props. The rest of us who have been burned so many times before on DL picks have a pretty good excuse for being wrong about him.

I couldn't be happier to have been wrong about both Poe and about not taking DeCastro.

Bump
09-08-2013, 04:44 PM
You and everyone else who believed get major props. The rest of us who have been burned so many times before on DL picks have a pretty good excuse for being wrong about him.

I couldn't be happier to have been wrong about both Poe and about not taking DeCastro.

it certainly is a nice feeling to see him perform like that after soooo many busts at the position.

Wallcrawler
09-08-2013, 05:09 PM
He was definitely beast mode today. That bulrush sack with only a 3 man front was sick. Also loved his awareness in swatting the pass down at the line on what I believe was 3rd down.

We haven't had a strong presence like that in the middle since Joe and Dan in the 90's.

tboss27
09-08-2013, 05:14 PM
If he continues to play like he did today, this D could really be special. Houston is going to own most of the RT's he plays against this year, if Poe continues to shut down the run and get push up the middle I really like our chances to be a top 10 defense. Jax is horrible offensively, but some of that today was also due to us playing very well.

MotherfuckerJones
09-08-2013, 05:18 PM

I like him as Ngata-type because of the way he moves

Pasta Giant Meatball
09-08-2013, 05:18 PM
More clown shoes put on CP posters