PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What's your Most Overated Place to eat...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

lostcause
02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
How many of you who live in KC get down to Les Fou Frog very often? That is one of my favorite restaurants in the midwest, with the (now defunct) Sage in Des Moines and Chino Latino in Mpls.

Bump
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
in Lawrence, people rave about how great pizza shuttle is, but it fucking sucks ass

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
I would agree, but they do very well. I looked into opening one here in town at one point, but their franchise fee was something like 1.2 million at the time, ummm no.

I've always been skeptical of the cost of buying a franchise business. Obviously it's popular so maybe there's something I'm missing, but it's hard to see the added value that's worth $1.2 million. You get some name recognition and ads, but how much is that really worth in the end? I think I'd rather take my chances and start up independently and aim for a good local reputation.

O.city
02-27-2012, 11:03 PM
The outhouse in Lawrence has pretty good food.

Bump
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
I've always been skeptical of the cost of buying a franchise business. Obviously it's popular so maybe there's something I'm missing, but it's hard to see the added value that's worth $1.2 million. You get some name recognition and ads, but how much is that really worth in the end? I think I'd rather take my chances and start up independently and aim for a good local reputation.

lol, franchisees are businessmen who know nothing about running restaurants, they only thing they see or worry about are the plus's and minus's. It's a good investment if you have the cash and you wouldn't have to do anything, just hire a vice president to do it for you.

boogblaster
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
most of the so called chain restaurants suck .. plus fast food has went to shit too ......

Pushead2
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
McDonalds

blaise
02-27-2012, 11:18 PM
In N Out. It's good and everything, but it's a freaking burger. People act like it's some otherwordly experience.

And Red Lobster sucks. A Filet O Fish is better than most of their menu items. I don't even think they have sea scallops on the menu.

lostcause
02-27-2012, 11:19 PM

It's enormous. It sucks the life blood from local businesses with better products - but thats true across the board in any incarnation. People crave the safety of knowing what they're going to get and in that fashion alone, regardless of the quality or lack there/of that chains provide - many diners would choose that security over trying a new local place, especially if it had edgy cuisine.

I remember when Des Moines got a Cheesecake Factory and people lined up for miles to get in there and stroke off to franchised, uncreative menus. Meanwhile, fantastic local chefs with great, established restaurants were put out of business.

Gonzo
02-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Anyway, like I said... There's a few really good places around here if you know where to look.
Best Steak and Prime rib: South Bend Steak house in South Bend, Ne.
(Brother Sabastian's comes up a close 2nd.)
Best Seafood: Shucks' bar (aka Absolutely Fresh)
2nd: the Jazz (Cajun joint with great crawdad's)
Best BBQ: the Ozarks - nothing worthy of 2nd now that the Amrillo Grill is closed. Well, I guess my place could count. I make the best ribs in Bellevue, NE.
Best Mexican:

This is a sensitive subject around here with our resident fat-asses. People swear by this shit-hole called LaMesa. It's damn terrible IMO. Not authentic at all. I'm partial to Netties or the roach coach in little mexico.

The best burgers in the state are made at Louie M's burger lust in Omaha.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
02-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Filet o' Acorn is pretty overrated. It's like they cater to chipmunks, or something.

FAX

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Anyway, like I said... There's a few really good places around here if you know where to look.
Best BBQ: the Ozarks - nothing worthy of 2nd now that the Amrillo Grill is closed. Well, I guess my place could count. I make the best ribs in Bellevue, NE.
Best Mexican:

This is a sensitive subject around here with our resident fat-asses. People swear by this shit-hole called LaMesa. It's damn terrible IMO. Not authentic at all. I'm partial to Netties or the roach coach in little mexico.

Posted via Mobile Device
That's all great but who in the fuck wants to go to Nebraska period, let alone in search of fine dining. That's like going with Cassel because you think he gives you the best chance to win.

lostcause
02-27-2012, 11:30 PM
That's all great but who in the **** wants to go to Nebraska period, let alone in search of fine dining. That's like going with Cassel because you think he gives you the best chance to win.

I'm kind of infatuated with your reverse idea here...

Saying Cassel gives the Chiefs the best chance to win is like going to Nebraska in search of fine dining.

FAX
02-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Ye Olde Slop Hause is kinda overrated, too.

But, then again, if it's late and you have an irresistible, uncontrollable hankering for 78 kinds of German stew in a bucket, it's really your only option.

FAX

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 11:33 PM
I'm kind of infatuated with your reverse idea here...

Saying Cassel gives the Chiefs the best chance to win is like going to Nebraska in search of fine dining.

Right... they're both totally ludicrus. I've spent time in Nebraska. I don't look to that state for quality in anything. (except mods and their wives of course)

Bugeater
02-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Best Mexican:

Posted via Mobile Device
Heh, I live a couple blocks away from Ozarks, and I work one block away from Jazz. They're a couple of my favorites as well. And I proposed to my wife at Brother Sebastian's.

As far as mexican, I love that taco truck that parks in the O'Reilly's at 24th and Vinton.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Quiktrip! Those Hotzi's will kill you deader than a hammer!

jspchief
02-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Applebees is shit. Frozen premade meals. Try ordering a dish without an ingredient like onions. They can't do it.

Olive Garden is decent, but its overpriced and its not good enough justify how busy it always is.

Anyone who says PF Changs is over rated needs to shut their whore mouth. Kung Pao scallops and DanDan noodles is the food of the gods. And their tea is phenomenal.

ClevelandBronco
02-27-2012, 11:48 PM
If it's possible to have an overrated fast food joint, it's In-N-Out. Get a grip, groupies.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
If it's possible to have an overrated fast food joint, it's In-N-Out. Get a grip, groupies.

5 guys?

ClevelandBronco
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
5 guys?

No idea, really. I end up with so much stuff on the burger that I have no idea what it tastes like.

evolve27
02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
PF Changs is so over-rated. The place sucks.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-28-2012, 12:03 AM
No idea, really. I end up with so much stuff on the burger that I have no idea what it tastes like.

LMAO

and...

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/511964/BANKER-1-PERCENT-TIP-RECEIPT.jpg

left by a banker no less...tsk tsk...

lostcause
02-28-2012, 12:07 AM
LMAO

and...

hahaaha... i'd lose my job, and he'd have a broken jaw.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-28-2012, 12:09 AM
hahaaha... i'd lose my job, and he'd have a broken jaw.

more here if interested...

Banker Leaves 1% Tip On $133 Lunch Bill In Defiance of 'The 99%'

http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/banker-leaves-1-tip-on-133-lunch-bill-in-defiance-of-the-99?xg_source=shorten_twitter

lostcause
02-28-2012, 12:13 AM
more here if interested...

Banker Leaves 1% Tip On $133 Lunch Bill In Defiance of 'The 99%'

http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/banker-leaves-1-tip-on-133-lunch-bill-in-defiance-of-the-99?xg_source=shorten_twitter

he sounds pretty cool

KILLER_CLOWN
02-28-2012, 12:14 AM
he sounds pretty cool

Breannas new job, Banker Assassin! :p

lostcause
02-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Breannas new job, Banker Assassin! :p

It goes both ways, i left my bank holding a $110k mortgage, so I suppose it goes around.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-28-2012, 12:18 AM
It goes both ways, i left my bank holding a $110k mortgage, so I suppose it goes around.

Did you tell them to get a real job?

lostcause
02-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Did you tell them to get a real job?

lol, no - but I certainly should have.

3rd&48ers
02-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I enjoy being a cheap bastard myself. I'll blow a few hundred without blinking an eye when it's something I want to get and the quality is there. I will, however, drive a few blocks out of my way to pay a buck less for something just because it annoys me to feel like I'm getting ripped off.

I don't like getting ripped off but when it comes to drinks, food and tipping, The girls in the restaurants that I go to regularly always want to wait our table...

It pays too tip good though, when they know you and how you are they always make sure the food is perfect and how you like it when it comes out.

lostcause
02-28-2012, 12:57 AM
I don't like getting ripped off but when it comes to drinks, food and tipping, The girls in the restaurants that I go to regularly always want to wait our table...

It pays too tip good though, when they know you and how you are they always make sure the food is perfect and how you like it when it comes out.

Hell yah, I get it... But in the midwest it requires cash and not just leaving juicy rocks sitting on the table.

Discuss Thrower
02-28-2012, 01:28 AM
LMAO

and...

I always assumed Donger appreciated his food servers more than that... Guess I don't really know people that well.

BCD
02-28-2012, 01:33 AM
LMAO

and...

Wow. What a scumbag.

Crush
02-28-2012, 03:07 AM
Waffle House
IHOP

KCUnited
02-28-2012, 05:29 AM
How many of you who live in KC get down to Les Fou Frog very often? That is one of my favorite restaurants in the midwest, with the (now defunct) Sage in Des Moines and Chino Latino in Mpls.

Le Fou is still one of the city's best, imo.

La literatura
02-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Buffalo Wild Wings

Yeah, this.

KCtotheSB
02-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Buffalo Wild Wings
Indigo's
Old Chicago's (might be a Colorado-only thing)

...basically any place I would go to watch the Chiefs on Sundays because I'm too poor to dish out for Sunday Ticket. The food's nasty and the football is nastier.

PGM
02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Buffalo Wild Wings
Indigo's
Old Chicago's (might be a Colorado-only thing)

...basically any place I would go to watch the Chiefs on Sundays because I'm too poor to dish out for Sunday Ticket. The food's nasty and the football is nastier.

Add up what you spend thier if you have to go every Sunday. Most people find the ticket cheaper than heading to the bar every week.

ChiefRocka
02-28-2012, 06:24 AM
The Melting Pot...hands down

BoneKrusher
02-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Applebee's

El Jefe
02-28-2012, 06:41 AM
The Red Lobster
Chili's

Both of these also suck.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!! Leave Red Lobster alone!!!!!!! I kid, I kid, I do however love Red Lobster. I don't know if you have crappy ones over near you, but ours are excellent, it's my favorite restaurant outside of Cheescake Factory.

El Jefe
02-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Buffalo Wild Wings

QFT, I can make their quality wings in my own house. It's cheap bar food IMO.

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Heh, I live a couple blocks away from Ozarks, and I work one block away from Jazz. They're a couple of my favorites as well. And I proposed to my wife at Brother Sebastian's.

As far as mexican, I love that taco truck that parks in the O'Reilly's at 24th and Vinton.

Fucking bingo. That roach-coach is so awesome. I have no idea what kind of meat they use but I'm pretty sure it's beef tounge.
Posted via Mobile Device

El Jefe
02-28-2012, 06:50 AM
The Melting Pot...hands down

You can drop some serious coin at TMP, its ridiculous.

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Anyone who says PF Changs is over rated needs to shut their whore mouth. Kung Pao scallops and DanDan noodles is the food of the gods. And their tea is phenomenal.

PF Changs is over-salted, Americanized chain food. Not terrible, but nothing special.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!! Leave Red Lobster alone!!!!!!! I kid, I kid, I do however love Red Lobster. I don't know if you have crappy ones over near you, but ours are excellent, it's my favorite restaurant outside of Cheescake Factory.

:doh!:

jspchief
02-28-2012, 07:34 AM
PF Changs is over-salted, Americanized chain food...

:doh!:Well call me honey badger, because I don't give a shit. Kung Pao scallops and DanDan noodles are awesome. I could give two shits whether it's authentic chinese or whatever the fuck it's claiming to be.

kepp
02-28-2012, 07:34 AM
I ate at Hereford House the other day and that place has gone downhill in a big way. WAY overrated at this point.

Bwana
02-28-2012, 07:48 AM

Dude, the Red Lobster is the Mickey D's of sea food, with sticker shock.

RockChalk
02-28-2012, 07:51 AM
in Lawrence, people rave about how great pizza shuttle is, but it ****ing sucks ass

People rave about Shuttle at 2am, drunk off their asses. I've lived here for 12 years and never heard a sober person rave about them.

jspchief
02-28-2012, 07:51 AM
My favorite part of Red Lobster is the way they advertise specials on TV like Lobsterfest, but when you get into the restaurant there's nothing indicating the special is going on.

It's like a ploy to get people in there in the hopes that they'll assume the special is over and just order off their menu.

suds79
02-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Buffalo Wild Wings

This gets my vote.

You'd think for having it in their name they'd have killer wings but they're honestly garbage.

loochy
02-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Damn some of you are picky. I like almost all food. Sure, some is better than the rest, but the "bad" stuff is rarely actually bad.

arrowheadnation
02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
lol...I feel bad. All of the places you guys are naming off are my favorite places to eat.

NewChief
02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Any of the Applebee's, Chili's, TGIF type chains are pretty bad, imo. They're fine, but there's better and more interesting food available in that price range. My main problem is the way they all try to capitalize on food trends, and that they do it so abysmally.

"Oh, Thai food is big, now. Let's make Thai Lettuce Fusion Wraps."

"Southwestern is big? Awesome. Let's make Sizzling Southwestern Surprise!"

"Chipotle? Sweet. Chipotle Lime Fish Tacos!."

And all of these "trendy" foods tend to be watered down, shitty, vanilla versions of the original flavors in an attempt to appeal to the broadest possible market.

journeyscarab
02-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Jack Stack. Sorry but the last time I ate there the meat was rubbery tasting. The fries were greasy and the service stunk (95 & Antioch). I love BBQ and I love smelling JS when we drive by almost daily but I wasted $100 on subpar BBQ and I won't do it again.

Bwana
02-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Jack Stack. Sorry but the last time I ate there the meat was rubbery tasting. The fries were greasy and the service stunk (95 & Antioch). I love BBQ and I love smelling JS when we drive by almost daily but I wasted $100 on subpar BBQ and I won't do it again.

That sounds about like the same experience I had at Gates, by Arrowhead, without the $100 beating. The ribs I got were about 70% fat, with 30% meat, just nasty. :shake: I have always had good luck at the stack.

Omaha
02-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Best Mexican:

Posted via Mobile Device

Hey, nice little summary. We agree on a lot of these.

My brother in law manages Absolutely Fresh so he's a good guy to invite to a cookout. He usually brings some good stuff.

I absolutely love Jazz for cajun food.

The best steak I've had in Omaha was at Paxton Chophouse. It's quite pricey, but it's amazing. Flemings is very good, too.

Also, you're right that La Mesa is awful.

journeyscarab
02-28-2012, 08:22 AM
That sounds about like the same experience I had at Gates, by Arrowhead, without the $100 beating. The ribs I got were about 70% fat, with 30% meat, just nasty. :shake: I have always had good luck at the stack.

Gates sucks too. We ate at the State Line store and it was nasty. I like their sauces but thats it.

We used to have good luck at JS and went there as a treat or birthday (We have a large family) so it was really disappointing to celebrate a new job with lousy, expensive food. OK Joes is my favorite.

Omaha
02-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Interesting. I was watching a show on the Food Network last year and they were highlighting the 2 steak houses in Omaha. They said they were really good but I haven't been back to Omaha lately to try them.

WTF?

Omaha
02-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Piccolo's is still there, (I think) but Caniglia's, club 89 and Mr. C's are gone.
Anthony's is still around but it's gone from dinner and a show to a steak house/night club type of place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Angie's is gone, too.

Bwana
02-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Gates sucks too. We ate at the State Line store and it was nasty. I like their sauces but thats it.

We used to have good luck at JS and went there as a treat or birthday (We have a large family) so it was really disappointing to celebrate a new job with lousy, expensive food. OK Joes is my favorite.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll have to give OK Joes a shot.

journeyscarab
02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Next time I'm in the area, I'll have to give OK Joes a shot.

Defintely do. Go to the 47th street location as it's the original one that's part of a gas station. Lines out the door at lunch and dinner. You will not be disappointed.

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Hey, nice little summary. We agree on a lot of these.

My brother in law manages Absolutely Fresh so he's a good guy to invite to a cookout. He usually brings some good stuff.

I absolutely love Jazz for cajun food.

The best steak I've had in Omaha was at Paxton Chophouse. It's quite pricey, but it's amazing. Flemings is very good, too.

Also, you're right that La Mesa is awful.

Fucking THANK YOU! La Mesa is shit mexican food. I live right behind the main restaurant in Bellevue and the place is always packed. I just don't get it, it's terrible. Back in the day, it used to be good but now it's basically Taco Bell with worse food. We have a huge mexican population in Omaha and a bunch of real mexican restaurants but people clamor for that dog-shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Predarat
02-28-2012, 08:50 AM
TGI Fridays is the most overated restaurant in the entire world. Not bad just overated.

Fire Me Boy!
02-28-2012, 08:50 AM
The Lady & Sons (Paula Deen's restaurant) in Savannah, GA. It's a southern buffet. Why people wait in line for a decent but overpriced buffet is beyond me.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Chic Fil-A. The breading iss good, but it's a dry ass chicken sandwich on a cheap bun with 1 pickle. It's like retarded Eddie got to design his own sandwich.

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
You know, I miss is the Gold Buffet in KC. That place was the shit from the 60's - 80's. I remember seeing pics of Dean Martin and the whole Rat-Pack in that bitch. That was back when dining was an event, not just an excuse to get fat.
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
One of the things I like best about Chik Fil-A is that the employees always seem to have an actual brain.

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Chic Fil-A. The breading iss good, but it's a dry ass chicken sandwich on a cheap bun with 1 pickle. It's like retarded Eddie got to design his own sandwich.
Jimmy John's has gone down-hill too. (Their BLT's kick ass, though)
Posted via Mobile Device

Omaha
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
****ing THANK YOU! La Mesa is shit mexican food. I live right behind the main restaurant in Bellevue and the place is always packed. I just don't get it, it's terrible. Back in the day, it used to be good but now it's basically Taco Bell with worse food. We have a huge mexican population in Omaha and a bunch of real mexican restaurants but people clamor for that dog-shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup. A couple of times a year, several of us at my office take a little field trip to South Omaha for the real deal.

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2012, 08:58 AM
One of the things I like best about Chik Fil-A is that the employees always seem to have an actual brain.

They all remind me of kids you'd expect at a crazy bible camp.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Blasphemor! I've had all major KC BBQ except AB and Jack Stack wins by a mile.

blaise
02-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I never cared for Jimmy Johns. Tastes like a pre-wrapped supermarket sub to me.

blaise
02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
They all remind me of kids you'd expect at a crazy bible camp.

Whatever they are, they seem to provide better service than the other fast food places.

Omaha
Blasphemor! I've had all major KC BBQ except AB and Jack Stack wins by a mile.

Jack Stack is my fave, but I've never been to OK Joes. Several of my friends have been raving about that lately.

Gonzo
Yup. A couple of times a year, several of us at my office take a little field trip to South Omaha for the real deal.
Yep. I go there about once a month with a buddy of mine and we'll get lunch from the roach-coach.
If you like Tamales, there's a mexican market on 24th and G that sells them for like 25 cents a piece. They hand-roll those bitches and freeze them by the dozen. They are authentic corn/beef Tamales and the best I've ever had.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

you know what I just discovered? Mr. Fucking Goodcents. Now that's a sammich!

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Jack Stack is my fave, but I've never been to OK Joes. Several of my friends have been raving about that lately.
Dude, you're missing out on a BBQ experience.
It's the best in KC, (imo).
Posted via Mobile Device

blaise
02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
you know what I just discovered? Mr. ****ing Goodcents. Now that's a sammich!

They're good, but to me the quality seems to fluctuate location by location.
But at the well managed ones, they're a good sub.

Dartgod
02-28-2012, 09:03 AM

I've been there one time and was impressed with the service.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Dude, you're missing out on a BBQ experience.
It's the best in KC, (imo).
Posted via Mobile Device

their pulled pork is money, but nothing on Earth touches a Poor Russ. Holy shit!

KCUnited
02-28-2012, 09:05 AM
I like Jimmy John's because I can get in and out without having to stand behind a group of dumbasses. Letting people pick their fixins is like standing in the scratchers line.

Dartgod
02-28-2012, 09:05 AM
****ing THANK YOU! La Mesa is shit mexican food. I live right behind the main restaurant in Bellevue and the place is always packed. I just don't get it, it's terrible. Back in the day, it used to be good but now it's basically Taco Bell with worse food. We have a huge mexican population in Omaha and a bunch of real mexican restaurants but people clamor for that dog-shit.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know if they are a chain or not, but there was a La Mesa where I live and it was horrible too. The best Mexican restaurant we had was recently shut down because the two brothers that owned it couldn't get along. Shame too, because they had some kick ass food.

Frazod
02-28-2012, 09:08 AM
When it comes to Mexican, On The Border and Chipotle are overrated crap. I'd seriously rather eat Taco Bell than either. At least Taco Bell doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

Bearcat
02-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I've been to Jimmy John's once... didn't think it was worth the hype I've heard, and the menu was easily the most boring of any sandwich shop.

I've heard some good things about Mr Goodcents, too, and the couple of times I've been there, it sucked. I'd much rather go to Planet Sub, Da Bronx, or even Quiznos. Subway, JJ's, and Mr Goodcents are at the bottom of the list.

Bearcat
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
When it comes to Mexican, On The Border and Chipotle are overrated crap. I'd seriously rather eat Taco Bell than either. At least Taco Bell doesn't pretend to be something it's not.

I think you misspelled crack. Chipotle is crack.

gblowfish
02-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Man ... I don't eat at any of those places. Ever.

I guess the only "overrated" place I patronize that you guys may know would be the Loveless Cafe. (Paul McCartney once remarked in a Rolling Stone interview that the Loveless was his favorite restaurant.) They used to have really good southern fried chicken with gravy and biscuits, but something bad must have happened and they lost their touch.

People still rave about the place and I eat there occasionally, but they are living on past reputation, so far as I can tell.

Although, I have to admit that they do have a pretty decent mail-order breakfast deal you can buy on the internet and have shipped. It can include pancake mix, preserves, bacon, sausage, and stuff like that. Their breakfast stuff isn't too bad ... particularly the preserves.

FAX

My sister and bro in law were just there for a show about two weeks ago, and they said their dinner was really good. And they've been everywhere, so they know bad food when they get it. Maybe Loveless has good and bad days, like some restaurants have sometimes.

tooge
02-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Waffle House
IHOP

THAT is freakin BLASPHEMY! Waffle house is the most under rated breakfast joint around. Double hash browns all the way with two eggs sunny side up on top of it all plus a cup of coffee and it'll set me back maybe $8. Anything close to that at gourmet breakfast joints is gonna be twice as much. I love me some Waffle House.

RockChalk
02-28-2012, 09:16 AM
their pulled pork is money, but nothing on Earth touches a Poor Russ. Holy shit!

I present to you, the Z-Man sandwich from OK Joes

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZM62d_ianJE/Tcg0Bl5OSaI/AAAAAAAAAAg/IqW4fGgEfiw/s1600/zman.jpg

gblowfish
02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
People diss Red Lobster but I like it. Their shrimp choices are all good, and its a pretty good value for what you get. Olive Garden is pretty lame, but we have some real deal Italian food available at Garozzo's, Cascone's, V's, etc. Outback is overpriced for what you get. Applebee's, Chili's, Cheddar's, chain chain chain.... don't expect too much, you won't be disappointed. Joe's Crab Shack is lame. Jimmy John's overpriced for what you get. Planet Sub is a better choice, they have good soups and the sandwiches are a good value.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2012, 09:28 AM
I present to you, the Z-Man sandwich from OK Joes

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZM62d_ianJE/Tcg0Bl5OSaI/AAAAAAAAAAg/IqW4fGgEfiw/s1600/zman.jpg

I've never seen this before. I need to eat 4 of these to understand.

Nzoner
02-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't know if you're aware but the original LaMesa started in St Joe,a few years ago one of the brothers was arrested for murder for hire and has since been convicted.It seems that every since all that started ours went totally to shit too.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Jesus. That Z Man sandwich has my tummy growling.

gblowfish
02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
You know what restaurant I think is over-rated? Houlihan's. Foo foo food served on weird geometric shaped plates, small portions, pay $12.50 for a sandwich and some lukewarm soggy fries. It's a place where suits go to sniff each other's butts during lunch and happy hour.

Nzoner
02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
Range in Harrahs is really nice.

Absolutely,we love eating there,the salad bar is even amazing.

Rain Man
02-28-2012, 09:35 AM
lol...I feel bad. All of the places you guys are naming off are my favorite places to eat.

Damn some of you are picky. I like almost all food. Sure, some is better than the rest, but the "bad" stuff is rarely actually bad.

I suspect we all eat at these places on occasion. Most of the time (in my opinion) the food's not bad. It's just not inspired.

Except for Chili's. Chili's chefs are there because they love their work and they make great food available for America's fast casual diners.

RockChalk
02-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Jesus. That Z Man sandwich has my tummy growling.

My decision to search for and then post that picture was not a good one. I'm craving one now. I apologize profusely for this. :banghead:

Dartgod
02-28-2012, 09:37 AM
You know what restaurant I think is over-rated? Houlihan's. Foo foo food served on weird geometric shaped plates, small portions, pay $12.50 for a sandwich and some lukewarm soggy fries. It's a place where suits go to sniff each other's butts during lunch and happy hour.

Bah!

My Buffalo Bleu Salad, Baked Potato Soup and Meatloaf No. 9 say you're wrong.

BIG_DADDY
02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Olive Garden is the most overrated followed by Red Lobster.

RockChalk
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Olive Garden is the most overrated followed by Red Lobster.

We should just simplify this and say that all Darden restaurants are overrated. I might exclude Longhorn from that generality.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Piccolo's is still there, (I think) but Caniglia's, club 89 and Mr. C's are gone.
Anthony's is still around but it's gone from dinner and a show to a steak house/night club type of place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Caniglia's is gone? There are reviews online from 2 weeks ago...

http://www.canigliasveniceinn.com/

BIG_DADDY
02-28-2012, 09:44 AM
We should just simplify this and say that all Darden restaurants are overrated. I might exclude Longhorn from that generality.

All the bread sticks and lettuce you can eat bro.

L.A. Chieffan
02-28-2012, 09:44 AM
have you guys had bad service at olive garden? i have a friend who works there now so its cool but before it always seemed the servers were pissed off all the time because they had to keep getting breadsticks

Bearcat
02-28-2012, 09:47 AM

Exclude Capital Grille... I'll usually go to a local place first, even though Capital Grille is excellent.

RockChalk
02-28-2012, 09:50 AM
Exclude Capital Grille... I'll usually go to a local place first, even though Capital Grille is excellent.

Meh. I've been twice. Wasn't impressed either time. The food wasn't bad, by any means, but for the price, I expected much better.

Inmem58
02-28-2012, 09:51 AM
have you guys had bad service at olive garden? i have a friend who works there now so its cool but before it always seemed the servers were pissed off all the time because they had to keep getting breadsticks

Never had a problem with their service. My gf ordered chicken alfredo and it looked like a kids plate. OG is the shit, great food.

BIG_DADDY
02-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Never had a problem with their service. My gf ordered chicken alfredo and it looked like a kids plate. OG is the shit, great food.

LMAO

Groves
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Threads like this are always interesting because what we don't get to see is what people have as their expectation, and what other restaurants (and their expectations) to which they are being compared.

It's the culinary version of this illusion, where A and B are the exact same color, but don't look it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG

Bearcat
02-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Meh. I've been twice. Wasn't impressed either time. The food wasn't bad, by any means, but for the price, I expected much better.

I was pretty skeptical the first time I went, thinking it couldn't beat out the Majestic Steakhouse, but the steak was surprisingly good... no great sides or dessert from what I remember though.

L.A. Chieffan
02-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Threads like this are always interesting because what we don't get to see is what people have as their expectation, and what other restaurants (and their expectations) to which they are being compared.

It's the culinary version of this illusion, where A and B are the exact same color, but don't look it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG

a is gray and b is white

Hoover
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
I avoid chain restaurants with a passion.

Was at a church thing this weekend and they asked what my fav restaurants were, when I said Alba, Lucca, and Jethros they all looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Seriously, people need to support locally owed restaurants not the chains.

Predarat
02-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Add Jimmy Johns to my list of overated places.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Add Jimmy Johns to my list of overated places.

+infinity

I have never seen a more overrated place. Crap menu, crap food, and crap service.

Frosty
02-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Krispy Kreme

I remember hearing about them all of the time and how amazingly awesome they were but never got to try any because they didn't have them here. I finally got to try them (yes, hot) when we went to Orlando and was, um... underwhelmed.

As for PF Chang's, I realize that they aren't "authentic" but they work nicely for me because they have a dedicated gluten-free menu. It's nice to be able to have Chinese without worrying about it. However, we normally do Thai or Vietnamese when we have Asian food as most of their dishes use rice noodles and don't use soy sauce.

BIG_DADDY
02-28-2012, 10:05 AM

Was at a church thing this weekend and they asked what my fav restaurants were, when I said Alba, Lucca, and Jethros they all looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language. Seriously, people need to support locally owed restaurants not the chains.

Couldn't agree more.

Fire Me Boy!
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM

The manager at the Chick-Fil-A in my building says the company has pretty strict hiring policies for the people that actually interact with customers.

Predarat
02-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Krispy Kreme

I remember hearing about them all of the time and how amazingly awesome they were but never got to try any because they didn't have them here. I finally got to try them (yes, hot) when we went to Orlando and was, um... underwhelmed.

I am wondering if you just went to a bad one. Those doughnuts are awesome.

DaKCMan AP
02-28-2012, 10:09 AM

1. Longhorn is garbage.
2. Season's 52 is damn good for a chain restaurant.

Mostly this.

tooge
02-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Krispy Kreme

As for PF Chang's, I realize that they aren't "authentic" but they work nicely for me because they have a dedicated gluten-free menu. It's nice to be able to have Chinese without worrying about it. However, we normally do Thai or Vietnamese when we have Asian food as most of their dishes use rice noodles and don't use soy sauce.

PF Changs isn't "authentic" because most americans wouldn't touch much of what China serves in country as authentic chinese. Lots of duck, pork, and seafood. lots of parts we don't eat here. Often very spicy, and usually with a texture Americans would find off putting. Hell, they don't even have General Tso's chicken over there. Same goes for quite a bit of mexican food. Real mexican has a few white cheeses they use very sparingly, not smothered on a burrito like we find here.

Frosty
02-28-2012, 10:11 AM

When they finally made it to Spokane, I tried them there too and didn't care for them. I think the main problem is that I just don't care for that kind of donut. I much prefer the fluffy ones you get from a bakery.

L.A. Chieffan
PF Changs isn't "authentic" because most americans wouldn't touch much of what China serves in country as authentic chinese. Lots of duck, pork, and seafood. lots of parts we don't eat here. Often very spicy, and usually with a texture Americans would find off putting. Hell, they don't even have General Tso's chicken over there. Same goes for quite a bit of mexican food. Real mexican has a few white cheeses they use very sparingly, not smothered on a burrito like we find here.

yes please

DaKCMan AP

Authentic Mexican is Awesome.

Chinese, authentic or not, ranks below Thai, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Indian, IMO.

Predarat
02-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Texas Roadhouse > Longhorn x100000
Except for the annoying line dancing, but some locations do not do that too often.

Frosty
PF Changs isn't "authentic" because most americans wouldn't touch much of what China serves in country as authentic chinese. Lots of duck, pork, and seafood. lots of parts we don't eat here. Often very spicy, and usually with a texture Americans would find off putting.

I agree. I prefer more authentic, though, and used to always eat at those little hole in the wall places where the people running it barely speak English (the West Coast if full of places like that). I don't care for chain places but don't have much choice now when it comes to Chinese. Fortunately, Vietnamese is pretty safe so I get that when I can.

Groves
a is gray and b is white

See, this is why you never get to vote in the "where shall we get some grub" huddles.

PhillyChiefFan
02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Agreed with everyone who said Applebee's. The food is terrible.

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Caniglia's is gone? There are reviews online from 2 weeks ago...

http://www.canigliasveniceinn.com/

My apologies, the Original Caniglia's is gone, (the one on 10th st).
The Venice Inn is still there. It's ok, not what it used to be. That place and Mr. C's was a classic Mob hangout back in the day. You could go in there and get authentic Italian food and real Omaha Beef back in the day. Unfortunately, no longer.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace
02-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I must not be as picky as a bunch of you guys. I'm actually fine with most of the "overrated" chain restaurants mentioned in this thread. I don't go into the experience expecting a culinary masterpiece, so they typically meet my expectations.

3rd&48ers
02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Texas Roadhouse > Longhorn x100000
Except for the annoying line dancing, but some locations do not do that too often.

Same post but change the order around for me... I love LH

Baby Lee
02-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Seems to be a lot of animus towards BWW.

But it's tough to beat $.50 boneless Thursdays. Fast and cheap.

Caribbean Jerk and Mango Habernero. 3 of each and a side salad.

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Seems to be a lot of animus towards BWW.

But it's tough to beat $.50 boneless Thursdays. Fast and cheap.

Caribbean Jerk and Mango Habernero. 3 of each and a side salad.

I like B-Dub's on occasion. Their Parm-Garlic wings are pretty good. They also serve Stella beer on tap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Me Boy!
02-28-2012, 10:39 AM

I don't care for Krispy Kreme's in general. Much prefer Dunkin' Doughnuts.

blaise
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Krispy Kreme doughnuts seem like they're wet. I just want to wash my hands eating one.

tooge
02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
I agree. I prefer more authentic, though, and used to always eat at those little hole in the wall places where the people running it barely speak English (the West Coast if full of places like that). I don't care for chain places but don't have much choice now when it comes to Chinese. Fortunately, Vietnamese is pretty safe so I get that when I can.

Same here. Vietnam cafe in KC is pretty authentic and very good. Great Pho. As far as authentic chinese, thai, korean, mexican, etc., I love all of it. I'm sort of wierd that way tho. I'll eat pretty much anything. I fry the heart, gizzard, and liver as an appetiser while i do the chicken up

Frosty
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Same here. Vietnam cafe in KC is pretty authentic and very good. Great Pho. As far as authentic chinese, thai, korean, mexican, etc., I love all of it. I'm sort of wierd that way tho. I'll eat pretty much anything. I fry the heart, gizzard, and liver as an appetiser while i do the chicken up

I wish I could get myself to like liver as it's uber-healthful. Hearts and gizzards are good, though.

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Just as an FYI...
This is the original Caniglia's:

http://images.ookaboo.com/photo/m/OmahaCaniglias_m.jpg

This is the Venice Inn:

http://pics3.city-data.com/businesses/p/6/8/2/8/5136828.JPG

This is (was) Mr. C's:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_J81YTslxOeg/SM1QxUPLpLI/AAAAAAAAAyA/inBYGHxWLnk/s320/mrc05.jpg

And this is their bastard child, Cascio's:

http://cdn4.wn.com/pd/0e/ec/5a5d64699f7a7077255dccbb0f4e_grande.jpg

The Venice Inn and Cascio's is still open. Both are still pretty good, (just not what they once were). We lost a bunch of our good spots when the Casino's were built. The Omaha Fat-asses love their buffet's and penny slots.

Bearcat
02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Same here. Vietnam cafe in KC is pretty authentic and very good.

I don't want to call that place overrated, because I've only been there once and I've never heard anything bad about it.... but, I got carry-out one night, and it was awful. We were actually laughing about how bad it was, because of the amount of food we ended up buying (and the hassle to get it, which is another story). I'll eat just about anything, and don't really think most places listed in this thread qualify as disgusting, but there was nothing good about it at all.

ChiefFripp
02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Ruth's Chris
Elephant Bar
Macaroni Grill
Mimi's Cafe
Noodles

Mr. Flopnuts
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
I don't want to call that place overrated, because I've only been there once and I've never heard anything bad about it.... but, I got carry-out one night, and it was awful. We were actually laughing about how bad it was, because of the amount of food we ended up buying (and the hassle to get it, which is another story). I'll eat just about anything, and don't really think most places listed in this thread qualify as disgusting, but there was nothing good about it at all.

I wish I could find some decent pancet down here.

lcarus
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Anyone eaten at Jess And Jims? That place was overpriced as hell for an average tasting steak, though it was big. Plus the place smelled like a sack full of farts. I can make better steaks by far on my own grill. **** that place.

lcarus
02-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I wish I could get myself to like liver as it's uber-healthful. Hearts and gizzards are good, though.

I used to love chicken gizzards from Go Chicken Go. Everything else at that place sucked ass though.

Nixhex
02-28-2012, 11:31 AM
5 Guys - Good food but not all it's made out to be. I'd rather have a HiBoy burger over a 5 Guys burger any day.

lcarus
02-28-2012, 11:39 AM
5 Guys - Good food but not all it's made out to be. I'd rather have a HiBoy burger over a 5 Guys burger any day.

I haven't had 5 Guys but everyone here told me to go to Smash Burger. I did, and it wasn't very good at all.

BIG_DADDY
02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Ruth's Chris
Elephant Bar
Macaroni Grill
Mimi's Cafe
Noodles

I totally agree on your macaroni grill take. I forgot all about that place. SOme of the most unhealthy dishes in America and it isn't even good.

lcarus
02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
I totally agree on your macaroni grill take. I forgot all about that place. SOme of the most unhealthy dishes in America and it isn't even good.

I bit into a crab-stuffed mushroom there and it was boiling inside. Had the worst burn on the inside of my mouth that I've ever had. Took forever to heal. I let the little ****er cool for a long while before I tried biting into it. They're good though...

Rosie O'Donnell
02-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Chili's is overrated in general, but their chicken fried steak is one of the best I've had.

Calcountry
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Outback is over rated and The Olive garden tooI'm sure Big Daddy would agree with this, LMAO

Calcountry
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
After watching Restaurant Impossible on the Food channel, I am convinced, there are WAY too many restaurants in America. Time to learn how to cook for yourself.

Chiefnj2
02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
How can people call the Olive Garden overrated? What the heck do you expect from a place that offers a 3 course dinner for $13 bucks?

Rosie O'Donnell
02-28-2012, 12:18 PM
OVERRATED LIST

Hooters - it's fast food quality with marked up prices because of tits and ass

Outback - The meat quality is pretty good. My problem with them is that their food lacks culinary mastery. Everything they serve is filled with saturated fat and butter.

Chick-fil-A - I have tried multiple menu items and nothing has hit the spot. Burgers are better.

Jack in the Box - In the e-coli days in the 90s, this place was great. Remember the Colossus??? Their meat quality has really gone down. Some of the patties I get taste like they came from the grade school cafeteria.

Burger King - Same thing with Jack. Their meat quality has gone downhill. Most Whoppers I get are hit or miss.

IHOP - Not trucker enough for my liking.

blaise
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't mind Olive Garden that much, and I feel like I've had plenty of Italian food. Their chicken parm is pretty good. I just don't think of Olive Garden as something that's supposed to be home-made Italian or anything. It's chain restaurant fare.

Rosie O'Donnell
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
How can people call the Olive Garden overrated? What the heck do you expect from a place that offers a 3 course dinner for $13 bucks?

Olive Garden is an afterthought in affluent, suburban neighborhoods. Buca di Beppo, Carrabba's and Macaroni Grill are now the places the big wigs go if they want franchised Italian.

In my town, riff raff go to Olive Garden. That's why I am surprised it is mentioned so much in this thread. I bet Olive Garden will be like Sizzler and Godfather's Pizza 20 years from now.

Rain Man
02-28-2012, 12:24 PM
After watching Restaurant Impossible on the Food channel, I am convinced, there are WAY too many restaurants in America. Time to learn how to cook for yourself.

My wife and I were going to dinner the other night and were talking about the rise of restaurants. I don't know much about this, but my theory is that at one point in time restaurants didn't exist, and then they were probably invented primarily for travelers while all the locals prepared their own meals.

Then at some point, perhaps in the 30s to 50s or so with the rise of cars, I think local people probably started going to restaurants occasionally for special occasions. No reason to go out when the wife was at home all day to prepare meals.

And then maybe in the 60s you had two changes that made an impact. Fast food started making meals cheap, and women started working. Now all of a sudden families had some practical reasons to start eating out. This probably outweighed advances in home foods like frozen dinners, better shipping to give us diversity of foods, and maybe even things like more mixes.

Now fast forward to today, and my wife and I are going out to dinner just because we're busy and working late and it's more convenient and easy to just walk to a restaurant than it would be to go home and cook. That's a long ways from the original mission of restaurants.

All of this is just a theory, so anyone can feel free to refute it or expand on it.

Rosie O'Donnell
02-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Pizza Hut blows too.

Their crust is like eating a stick of butter.

mikey23545
02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
I know I'm going to catch a bunch of shit for saying this, but I don't get all the Applebee's hate on this board. I've never had anything there I didn't really enjoy.

I live in Florida which has to have more restaurants per capita than any other state in the union due to the number of tourists. Me and the missus dine in all sorts of restaurants , from hole-in-the-walls to craptastically expensive places (well, at least when her well-heeled relatives are treating). So don't think Applebee's is the best place I ever go into, and don't know any better.

I've been in some expensive places I'll never go back into again because of their food, but I would never hesitate to drop into Applebee's for a meal.

So flame away...

gblowfish
02-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Tried Cheddar's for lunch today, had "New Orleans Pasta" which had shrimp, chicken and sausage. Spicy. Not bad, lunch with a salad was like $11 and tax.

KCUnited
02-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I used to hear a lot of hype for In A Tub from the stoner crowd. It's also got a 3.5/5 stars on Yelp and an 87% on UrbanSpoon. That shit seriously ****ed my shit up and nearly ruined a Valentine's Day for me once.

Predarat
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Tried Cheddar's for lunch today, had "New Orleans Pasta" which had shrimp, chicken and sausage. Spicy. Not bad, lunch with a salad was like $11 and tax.

That dish is awesome! Its one of my main choices when I go there. The Lemon Pepper Chicken is good too.

tooge
02-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I used to hear a lot of hype for In A Tub from the stoner crowd. It's also got a 3.5/5 stars on Yelp and an 87% on UrbanSpoon. That shit seriously ****ed my shit up and nearly ruined a Valentine's Day for me once.

agreed. Stoned or not, that powdered nuclear cheese crap they put on a taco is plain wrong

Dartgod
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
The saving grace for Applebee's is the maple butter blondie. **** that's good.

Oh, God yes, this!

Demonpenz
02-28-2012, 01:09 PM
I had this flaming fajita thing from applebees the other day, it had way more flavor than it should have been. total sleeper meal. Woah

FAX
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't know about some of these places ... like Applebee's, for example. I ate there once. But afterwards. I did some calculations and decided never to go back. Here's what I figured out ...

The average US male person lives 75.6 years. If you deduct the first 18 years on account of those are the years where you either eat pizza or don't get to choose the restaurant, that give you 57.6 total dinner years. Then, you have to deduct another 5.6 years because those are the years you either eat oatmeal or malt-o-meal or some other kind of porridge which leaves you 52 total dinner years.

52 years times 365 is 18,980 dinners. Now, you have to deduct about 4,290 dinners to account for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Picnics, Orgies, and other special events and that gives you a grand total of 14,690 dinners you can eat in your lifetime. That's it. Only 14,690 dinners. And you guys want to waste one of those eating at Applebee's?

FAX

tooge
02-28-2012, 01:11 PM

It's highly possible that you simply don't like authentic vietnamese food. It isn't for eveyone. They use lots of fish sauce (fermented fish juice), lots of chili oil and paste, lots of fresh herbs like mint and cilantro that have strong flavors. That place is authentic as it gets and if you like authentic vietnamese food, you will like it. If you are looking for sweet beef and rice noodles, you will be grossed out.

KCUnited
02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
I was also severely disappointed in Next Door Pizza. It got talked up a lot when it opened so we made the trek to Lee's Summit. That Chicago Style pizza was laughable, and while I did appreciate their beer selection they poured me a Moose Drool in an ice frosted mug, way too cold for that beer.

I also found the Margherita at PizzaBella bland.

Predarat
02-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I don't know about some of these places ... like Applebee's, for example. I ate there once. But afterwards. I did some calculations and decided never to go back. Here's what I figured out ...

The average US male person lives 75.6 years. If you deduct the first 18 years on account of those are the years where you either eat pizza or don't get to choose the restaurant, that give you 57.6 total dinner years. Then, you have to deduct another 5.6 years because those are the years you either eat oatmeal or malt-o-meal or some other kind of porridge which leaves you 52 total dinner years.

52 years times 365 is 18,980 dinners. Now, you have to deduct about 4,290 dinners to account for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Picnics, Orgies, and other special events and that gives you a grand total of 14,690 dinners you can eat in your lifetime. That's it. Only 14,690 dinners. And you guys want to waste one of those eating at Applebee's?

FAX

Good point.

NewChief
02-28-2012, 01:23 PM
I had this flaming fajita thing from applebees the other day, it had way more flavor than it should have been. total sleeper meal. Woah

:grr:

Saul Good
02-28-2012, 01:32 PM
LMAO

and...

Whatever sources you use for your information, just stop. This, like everything else you post, is a hoax. The restaurant confirmed that it was about a $33 bill with a tip of $7.33, and there was nothing written on the receipt.

Get over yourself.

Http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/banker-insulting-waitress-tip-hoax-165556900.html

Dartgod
02-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Whatever sources you use for your information, just stop. This, like everything else you post, is a hoax. The restaurant confirmed that it was about a $33 bill with a tip of $7.34, and there was nothing written on the receipt.

Get over yourself.

Http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending/-now/banker-insulting-waitress-tip-hoax-165556900.html

:hmmm:

Oops!
Sorry, the page you requested either doesn't exist or isn't available right now!

Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo!, try visiting the Yahoo! homepage or look through a list of Yahoo!'s online services.
Please try Yahoo Help Central if you need more assistance.

Dartgod
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Here ya go, Saul.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/photoshop/restaurant-receipt-photoshop-hoax-869032

gblowfish
02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
You mean, people LIE on the internet????

3rd&48ers
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Wife just made me this and its not overrated http://img.tapatalk.com/426eefa2-40a2-1a1d.jpg

HTC Inspire/Cleardroid

Nzoner
02-28-2012, 03:19 PM

FAX

:hmmm:

I can see that invitation now

YOU'RE INVITED TO AN ORGY NEXT WEEKEND THE 17TH
BRING PLENTY OF CONDOMS AND A COVERED DISH

BCD
02-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Their sandwiches are not good at all.

I always get the strips. Way better.

Saul Good
02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Their sandwiches are not good at all.

I always get the strips. Way better.

Yep. In fact, I will be eating those tonight. Tuesday's are buy one meal and gt a kids meal free nights. Plus their milkshakes are great.

BCD
02-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Applebees is shit. Frozen premade meals. Try ordering a dish without an ingredient like onions. They can't do it.

Olive Garden is decent, but its overpriced and its not good enough justify how busy it always is.

LMAO PF Changs is HORRIBLE compared to actual Chinese food.

Chocolate Hog
02-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Dunk N Donuts taste like dick

BCD
02-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Yep. In fact, I will be eating those tonight. Tuesday's are buy one meal and gt a kids meal free nights. Plus their milkshakes are great.

I like how the nuggets and strips have their own flavor.

BCD
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Still better than Krispy Kreme

Saul Good
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
I like how the nuggets and strips have their own flavor.

I feel like the nuggets are dry. They seem overcooked to me.

Start Croyle
02-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Hooters! The food is extremely overpriced and the wait staff do not live up to the reputation!

BCD
02-28-2012, 04:07 PM
I feel like the nuggets are dry. They seem overcooked to me.

Somewhat, yes.

I don't get them often.

BCD
02-28-2012, 04:08 PM
White Castle is complete shit.

Groves
02-28-2012, 04:09 PM
My wife and I were going to dinner the other night and were talking about the rise of restaurants. I don't know much about this, but my theory is that at one point in time restaurants didn't exist, and then they were probably invented primarily for travelers while all the locals prepared their own meals.

Then at some point, perhaps in the 30s to 50s or so with the rise of cars, I think local people probably started going to restaurants occasionally for special occasions. No reason to go out when the wife was at home all day to prepare meals.

And then maybe in the 60s you had two changes that made an impact. Fast food started making meals cheap, and women started working. Now all of a sudden families had some practical reasons to start eating out. This probably outweighed advances in home foods like frozen dinners, better shipping to give us diversity of foods, and maybe even things like more mixes.

Now fast forward to today, and my wife and I are going out to dinner just because we're busy and working late and it's more convenient and easy to just walk to a restaurant than it would be to go home and cook. That's a long ways from the original mission of restaurants.

All of this is just a theory, so anyone can feel free to refute it or expand on it.

It's not only plausible, but true. There are some good documentaries on the subject.

One thing I'll add is the rise of the chain.

Back when travelers were searching for good grub (being away from their home kitchen and all) it wasn't uncommon to get stung by a place that had not only unappetizing food, but unhealthy.

Unhealthy as in sickness and death, not as in 6packs going to 2packs.

The rise of the chain restaurant was fueled by the wary public eager for a place they knew and trusted (not to give them botulism, for instance.)

Golden arches. Plaster Shoney's man. They're not simply marketing "I'm a restaurant", but "I won't have you hurling like Bob's Unknown-to-you Restaurant over there".

We bit on it. Local dives suffered.

On another note, sometimes another way to say "suffered" is "became uncrowded enough to finally eat there regularly", which is a good thing.

Moral of the story: Find people who know good food when they eat it, and find out where they eat.

Gonzo
02-28-2012, 04:10 PM

And you know this because....

Saul Good
02-28-2012, 04:12 PM
It's not only plausible, but true. There are some good documentaries on the subject.

Back when travelers were searching for good grub (being away from their home kitchen and all) it wasn't uncommon to get stung by a place that had not only unappetizing food, but unhealthy.

The rise of the chain restaurant was fueled by the wary public eager for a place they knew and trusted (not to give them botulism, for instance.)

Golden arches. Plaster Shoney's man. They're not simply marketing "I'm a restaurant", but "I won't have you hurling like Bob's Unknown-to-you Restaurant over there".

On another note, sometimes another way to say "suffered" is "became uncrowded enough to finally eat there regularly", which is a good thing.

Moral of the story: Find people who know good food when they eat it, and find out where they eat.
Of course, there's also the possibility that some restaurants serve good food and provide good service so they grow into a chain. I would love to open a Free State Brewery, for example.

Saul Good
02-28-2012, 04:12 PM
And you know this because....

Because he tried Dunkin Donuts recently.

Micjones
02-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Applebee's
Chick-fil-A

Stewie
02-28-2012, 04:16 PM
White Castle is complete shit.

I don't know how people eat that stuff.

About 15 years ago a WC opened up about 5 miles from my house. It was ridiculous the amount of people they pulled in... for about six months. I tried it once and that was enough. Grease-soaked bread with onions and something that was supposed to be beef. That store lasted about two years and it was gone. It's been a Boston Market ever since.

WV
02-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Hooters! The food is extremely overpriced and the wait staff do not live up to the reputation!

Agreed but their jarred sauce is pretty good.

bevischief
02-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Ihop and Hooters.

Rain Man
02-28-2012, 04:39 PM

Interesting. I figured the chains became popular because of a desire to eliminate risk when traveling, but I would've guessed it was risk from a flavor perspective, not a health perspective. But that makes sense.

A movie that I really enjoyed was Memphis Belle. I can't remember who was in it other than Harry Connick, Jr., but at one point two guys were having a conversation about what they'd do after the war. One of them talked about the concept of opening a chain of restaurants, without knowing what it was, and the other guy was roundly dismissing it. "Why would people want to eat at the same restaurant in different cities?" I thought it was kind of funny.

I need to go re-watch that movie and see if I still like it. I haven't seen it in years.

RockChalk
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
A friend (23 y.o female) just posted this on facebook:

To KC for dinner tonight. Olive Garden with the roomies. So excited!!!

Fruit Ninja
02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
A friend (23 y.o female) just posted this on facebook:

Fuck, i wish we had a damned Olive Garden where i live. Being Mexican, Italian food at all is hard to come by. lol

Chocolate Hog
02-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Still better than Krispy Kreme

Nah Krispy Kreme is better.

jspchief
02-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Our Cheddars went out of business, but their chicken fingers were awesome.

KCUnited
02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Ponak's

/thread

Old Dog
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Chef Mavro and to a lesser extent Ruth's Chris
They're good, but not near worth what the prices suggest they should be.

Dragonocho
02-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Sounds about right. Damn cars.

Rain Man
02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Chef Mavro and to a lesser extent Ruth's Chris
They're good, but not near worth what the prices suggest they should be.

Those steakhouse places serve a good steak, but the prices are ludicrous.

This got me thinking. My wife and I used to eat at restaurants a lot, like 3 or 4 nights per week. The past few years we've settled down and probably only do it once or twice per week, but if you figure that maybe we're averaging $60 per visit with tip, that comes out to about $500 per month on average.

Actually, we charge most of our restaurant meals, so I just went and looked at our annual statement summaries. In 2011, we charged $7,440 for "dining". Now, some of that is meals and vacation and some of it is social lunches and stuff, so actually $500 per month sounds about right.

I was wondering if we spent enough to afford a cook to come over once or twice a week and cook us a gourmet dinner at home, but I'm not sure that's enough. Roughly $110 per week over the course of the year - by the time you spend $30 or so on the food, that would be about $70 per week for labor. Would a person come over twice a week and cook us a meal and clean up for roughly $300 per month? Eh, I guess it's possible.

DeezNutz
02-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Those steakhouse places serve a good steak, but the prices are ludicrous.

This got me thinking. My wife and I used to eat at restaurants a lot, like 3 or 4 nights per week. The past few years we've settled down and probably only do it once or twice per week, but if you figure that maybe we're averaging $60 per visit with tip, that comes out to about $500 per month on average.

Actually, we charge most of our restaurant meals, so I just went and looked at our annual statement summaries. In 2011, we charged $7,440 for "dining". Now, some of that is meals and vacation and some of it is social lunches and stuff, so actually $500 per month sounds about right.

I was wondering if we spent enough to afford a cook to come over once or twice a week and cook us a gourmet dinner at home, but I'm not sure that's enough. Roughly $110 per week over the course of the year - by the time you spend $30 or so on the food, that would be about $70 per week for labor. Would a person come over twice a week and cook us a meal and clean up for roughly $300 per month? Eh, I guess it's possible.

At least three hours of work per evening...so...looking at about $12 per hour. Yeah, that should be enough for gourmet.

Chocolate Hog
02-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Oh yeah Denny's has gone downhill too.

Saul Good
02-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Ponak's

/thread

That place is the absolute worst.

Chocolate Hog
02-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Is that the place in little Mexico on Southwest BLVD?

mikeyis4dcats.
02-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Manny's

Saul Good
02-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Is that the place in little Mexico on Southwest BLVD?

One of many. They have pitcher of Margaritas that are about 90% tequila with a splash of mix. It's over the top strong. Literally 1 glass will get you drunk and 2 makes it hard to walk.

Omaha
02-28-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm seriously shocked to learn what other people eat and see how different is from my diet. I'm not passing judgement. I'm just amazed by the differences.

Frosty
02-28-2012, 09:12 PM
BTW, if you expand this from "Overated Places to Eat" to "Eat or Drink", let me add Starbucks to my list. I know people that act like they put crack in those overpriced coffee drinks. I've been there once and thought it was the most vile thing I've ever tasted. The coffee down at the gas station is 100x better and costs $.65 if you bring your own mug. :shake:

If there was any justice in the world, there would be a Tully's on every corner instead of Starbucks.

NewChief
02-28-2012, 09:24 PM
BTW, if you expand this from "Overated Places to Eat" to "Eat or Drink", let me add Starbucks to my list. I know people that act like they put crack in those overpriced coffee drinks. I've been there once and thought it was the most vile thing I've ever tasted. The coffee down at the gas station is 100x better and costs $.65 if you bring your own mug. :shake:

If there was any justice in the world, there would be a Tully's on every corner instead of Starbucks.

Amen. Starbucks would top my list as well. It's not the worst coffee in the world by far.. but it is the definition of OVERRATED! People act like it's amazing, but any decent coffee shop (especially one that roasts beans on premises) beats the crap out of it.

If you want crack in your coffee drink, though.. I have the place for you.

Frosty
02-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Amen. Starbucks would top my list as well. It's not the worst coffee in the world by far.. but it is the definition of OVERRATED! People act like it's amazing, but any decent coffee shop (especially one that roasts beans on premises) beats the crap out of it.

If you want crack in your coffee drink, though.. I have the place for you.

Of course most people don't go there for coffee per se; more like coffee milkshakes.

Edit: It's pretty pretentious too.

3rd&48ers
02-29-2012, 12:05 AM
i like Dunkin Doughnuts coffee much better than Starbucks

Rudy lost the toss
02-29-2012, 12:26 AM
Waffle house

Chipotle

Jimmy john's

CoMoChief
02-29-2012, 01:43 AM
Carrabba's

*edit

Which come to think of it, I wouldn't even call it overrated......the place just sucks.

KILLER_CLOWN
02-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Waffle house

Chipotle

Jimmy john's

Chipotle isn't overrated, Love their underpriced food. ;)

Also lost a lot of weight eating the Veggie Burrito with rice/black beans/hot/medium/mild/guacamole 5 days a week. ;)

I will also add it can't really be overrated if the parking lot is so full for lunch you can't even get in there to park your car much less order.

Rain Man
02-29-2012, 07:03 AM
At least three hours of work per evening...so...looking at about $12 per hour. Yeah, that should be enough for gourmet.

I'm starting to get intrigued by this. The more I think about it, you're right. It just might work.

Bwana
02-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Back in the day, there was a place around here (fast food chain joint) called Long John Silvers. Now that food was BAD.

http://www.my3cents.com/review_images/108492.gif

tooge
02-29-2012, 07:13 AM
Waffle house

Chipotle

Jimmy john's

How the hell can waffle house be over rated? It is supposed to be a breakfast dive, not a four star gourmet breakfast place. I'd say it's under rated.

blaise
02-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Back in the day, there was a place around here (fast food chain joint) called Long John Silvers. No that food was BAD.

They still have those. Yeah, not a fan.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Panera

Bwana
02-29-2012, 07:28 AM
They still have those. Yeah, not a fan.

I was a freshman in high school when that place came to town. All would hear about was how good the food was. A buddy of mine and I went in one afternoon to try it out. We ordered large, to try as much as we could. Out of all the items we ordered, there wasn't one of them we could finish, it was THAT bad. It was like Alpo, with breading.

https://secure3.convio.net/warl/images/content/pagebuilder/10961.jpg

blaise
02-29-2012, 07:39 AM
I was a freshman in high school when that place came to town. All would hear about was how good the food was. A buddy of mine and I went in one afternoon to try it out. We ordered large, to try as much as we could. Out of all the items we ordered, there wasn't one of them we could finish, it was THAT bad. It was like Alpo, with breading.

https://secure3.convio.net/warl/images/content/pagebuilder/10961.jpg

The times I've gone the fish was all wet when I got it. Like they fried it and then stuck it in a steamer so all the breading got soggy and started peeling off.

Dartgod
02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Long John Silver's is a guilty pleasure of mine. Once or twice a year I'll eat there, but yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from.

Frazod
02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Long John Silver's is a guilty pleasure of mine. Once or twice a year I'll eat there, but yeah, I can see where you guys are coming from.

I've always liked Long John Silver's, but I just can't deal with all the damned grease. I'll eat there perhaps once a year (if that), but I feel like crap for a couple of hours afterward.

Had a friend that worked at Captain D's (very similar) years ago. He said that every article of clothing he'd wear to work would get ruined because of the grease in a few days.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-29-2012, 08:18 AM
only thing good at LJS is the crunch shit in the bottom of the paper boat.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Back in the day, there was a place around here (fast food chain joint) called Long John Silvers. Now that food was BAD.

We still have them and I love it. I understand it's greasy and probably not the best quality stuff but something about LJS appeals to me. Maybe it's because my mom loved it when I was growing up and we ate there a lot. Probably grab lunch there about once a month. Love me a little malt vinegar on my big ol slab 'o fish... like their fries, the hushpuppies and the slaw... and please put some extra "crunchies" in the box thank you.

Now I want LJS for lunch today.

Bwana
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
We still have them and I love it. I understand it's greasy and probably not the best quality stuff but something about LJS appeals to me. Maybe it's because my mom loved it when I was growing up and we ate there a lot. Probably grab lunch there about once a month. Love me a little malt vinegar on my big ol slab 'o fish... like their fries, the hushpuppies and the slaw... and please put some extra "crunchies" in the box thank you.

Perhaps we just had a sting of bad owners at this one? It went through 3 owners in 4 years. After that, it shut down and sat there for another 5 years, until they tore it down.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Perhaps we just had a sting of bad owners at this one? It went through 3 owners in 4 years. After that, it shut down and sat there for another 5 years, until they tore it down.

I can understand why people wouldn't be a fan of LJS. Every one I've ever eaten at has been the same... it just happens to be a same I like. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure. Like I said I don't claim they offer the best quality I just dig it anyway.

Rain Man
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM

I was a big fan of LJS growing up, but I don't think I've eaten at one in 20+ years. I've seen them once or twice while traveling, but haven't stopped for various reasons.

Rain Man
03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
What's Cheddar's? Anyone ever eaten there? What's an equivalent restaurant chain?

petegz28
03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Outback is over rated and The Olive garden too

This

Rain Man
03-08-2012, 04:58 PM
This

But what is Cheddar's?

bevischief
03-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Taco Bell.

Rain Man
03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Taco Bell.

Cheddar's is like Taco Bell?

Bearcat
03-08-2012, 05:01 PM
What's Cheddar's? Anyone ever eaten there? What's an equivalent restaurant chain?

Chili's, maybe... a lot of chicken, some pasta, steak. You get quite a bit of food for the price. I've only been there once, and thought it was pretty good for the price.

http://www.cheddars.com/

DaKCMan AP
03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
But what is Cheddar's?

In the same realm as Chilis, Ruby Tuesday.. maybe a 'little' nicer.

Marcellus
03-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Chik-Fil-A or however its spelled.

Every damn day the 2 drive through lanes are backed up to the street at lunch.

Its just a run of the mill chicken sandwich etc....

I don't get it.

DaKCMan AP
03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Chik-Fil-A or however its spelled.

Every damn day the 2 drive through lanes are backed up to the street at lunch.

Its just a run of the mill chicken sandwich etc....

I don't get it.

You should go on Sundays. No line.

Baby Lee
03-08-2012, 05:12 PM
IHOP - Not trucker enough for my liking.

I'm blessed to have a sublime IHOP near my house. Never had a bad meal [in about 50 trips over the years]. My parents are positively giddy to visit there for breakfast when they visit me.

sedated
03-08-2012, 05:14 PM
But what is Cheddar's?

My grandparents came in from Cali and went to Cheddars. When I asked how it was, they just said "typical midwestern food". I think that's pretty accurate.

These are the same grandparents that would openly galk at overweight people (pointing, whispering, and I don't mean obese, just overweight) and constantly go on and on about how fat everyone was out here.

DaKCMan AP
03-08-2012, 05:14 PM
These are the same grandparents that would openly galk at overweight people (pointing, whispering, and I don't mean obese, just overweight) and then go on and on about how fat everyone was out here.

They sound Awesome!

Rain Man
03-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Cool. I was wondering because I was looking at a route for an upcoming trip, and it seems like there's a Cheddar's every mile. I'd never heard of it.

bevischief
03-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Perkins.

Elwaysux
03-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebees, Cheddars. I would throw in Steak and Shake based upon their plating. Put the %#&ing fries on the same plate as the burger and it wouldn't look so bad.

PRIEST
03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Peyton's Place :)

CHENZ A!
03-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Pizza Hut blows too.

Their crust is like eating a stick of butter.

Tellem Rosie. Pizza Hut is worse than frozen pizza.

WV
03-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Just read in our local paper that the plans for a new Olive Garden have been approved. So tired of the same shit, that will make 3 olive gardens in a 20 square mile vicinity, that just isn't necessary but the ignorant masses will pack that place like mad when it opens. Blah.

Pablo
03-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Just read in our local paper that the plans for a new Olive Garden have been approved. So tired of the same shit, that will make 3 olive gardens in a 20 square mile vicinity, that just isn't necessary but the ignorant masses will pack that place like mad when it opens. Blah.But they gots soups and salads and breadsticks and lasagnas and OMG gotta get there.

SOOOOOOOO TASTY.

Demonpenz
03-08-2012, 09:20 PM
I took my prom date to Olive Garden. Of course I got puss

Pablo
03-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I took my prom date to Olive Garden. Of course I got pussHey, just so you know, it's unlimited soup, salad, and *grabs date's hand and places directly on shaft* breadstick.

*Makes sex eye shrug*

BIG_DADDY
03-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I took my prom date to Olive Garden. Of course I got puss

Thank god for the date rape drug.