PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What's your Most Overated Place to eat...

Pages : [1] 2 3

3rd&48ers
02-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Ruby Tuesdays
And Japanese restaurants where you sit around the stainless steel grill...

Bwana
02-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Applebee's

3rd&48ers
02-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Applebee's
Agreed..........

3rd&48ers
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Outback is over rated and The Olive garden too

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Among chain restaurants, I once liked those steakhouse buffets like Golden Corral. However, I don't know if my taste has gotten better or their quality has gotten worse, but they seem to produce pretty low-quality food. I tend to value quality over quantity these days.

Easy 6
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Pick a chain, any chain... Applebees, Outback, Olive Garden... they're all junk.

I worked in a few in the old days & they cant even make a steak right, kept cold right up until they go on the grill.

Bugeater
02-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Joe's Crab Shack.

Inmem58
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
Bubba Gumps

Stewie
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
The mid-tier restaurant chains, as mentioned, can't be overrated. They knowingly serve average food.

Buehler445
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Golden Corral. I fucking hate that place.
Applebee's. Overpriced declining quality food
McDonalds. Garbage

Bwana
02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
The Red Lobster
Chili's

Both of these also suck.

AZORChiefFan
02-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Pei Wei or PF Changs.

But yeah pretty much any Chain restaurants serve mediocre food at best.

Three7s
02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Applebees was good 15-20 years ago. Now it's crap.

RockChalk
Pick a chain, any chain... Applebees, Outback, Olive Garden... they're all junk.

I worked in a few in the old days & they cant even make a steak right, kept cold right up until they go on the grill.

This.

Also, I typically don't eat at any place I find to be overrated. In my book, a restaurant gets a certain number of chances to impress me:

Food quality: 2 times (cooks can have an off night)
Service: 3 times (if service is bad 3 times, it's a problem with management, not the 20 year old serving your food)

ExtremeChief
Macaroni Grill

Bwana
Golden Corral. I ****ing hate that place.
Applebee's. Overpriced declining quality food
McDonalds. Garbage

The Golden Corral has to be the worst food joint on the face of the earth, I wouldn't feed that crap to my dogs.

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
souplantaion: $11 for salad with no protein anywhere.

i thought everybody already knew applebees sucked

Baby Lee
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Ruby Tuesdays.

Their entree offerings never really captured me, but I really enjoy their salad bar.

Used to be turned off by Cracker Barrel [too many tiny, cold entrees came my way], but they've improved quality in recent years.

I don't know how highly they're rated by others, so I can't comment on OVERated, but O'Charley's has never impressed me at all. Yet they continue to do business.

lewdog
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I say Outback especially considering the price you pay for shit there.

Baby Lee
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Macaroni Grill

Good one, meaning you're right to choose it, not that it's one good restaurant.

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Chili's

Bite your tongue. Chili's is a masterpiece of good food at a good price. Their chicken crispers are the Mona Lisa of ... fried chicken nuggetylike things.

Inmem58
02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Denny's is garbage too.

Worst breakfast joint.

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I was afraid I'd take a beating for not liking Golden Corral. I'm surprised that other folks are agreeing.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
How can any of these places be overrated? Nobody claims they're any good.

I'm going to catch hell for this, but Strouds is overrated. Gibson's in Chicago is also overrated.

3rd&48ers
02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
The Red Lobster
Chili's

Both of these also suck.

Bingo, never ate at Chilis though

Their entree offerings never really captured me, but I really enjoy their salad bar.

Used to be turned off by Cracker Barrel [too many tiny, cold entrees came my way], but they've improved quality in recent years.

I don't know how highly they're rated by others, so I can't comment on OVERated, but O'Charley's has never impressed me at all. Yet they continue to do business.

Yup The Salad bar is good especially them brown croutons but everything else I have eaten there sucks to me

3rd&48ers
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Denny's is garbage too.

Worst breakfast joint.

I can't eat them anymore but their pancakes used to be good when I did

Saulbadguy
02-27-2012, 05:01 PM
The mid-tier restaurant chains, as mentioned, can't be overrated. They knowingly serve average food.

Agreed, however i've seen hayseeds get dressed up to go to Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc.

3rd&48ers
Shoneys was always over rated to me, They would sell all you can eat shrimp, 5 on the plate you order and then when you re-order, they would bring you 3 more

BigMeatballDave
PF Changs

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
How can any of these places be overrated? Nobody claims they're any good.

I'm going to catch hell for this, but Strouds is overrated. Gibson's in Chicago is also overrated.

Yeah, "overrated" is a tricky term. I guess I was thinking that it wasn't necessarily based on culinary reviews but more on popularity. If lots of people go there and it's not very good, it's overrated, at least on a value scale.

|Zach|
02-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Westport Flea Market.

Not that its bad....because it isn't at all. But it doesn't come anywhere close to the talk it gets around town.

Same thing for Herford House.

Saulbadguy
Outback
PF Changs
Red Lobster
Bobo's Drive-in (Topeka folks only)

Saul Good
I agree with PF Chang's.

Saulbadguy
Shoneys was always over rated to me, They would sell all you can eat shrimp, 5 on the plate you order and then when you re-order, they would bring you 3 more

Went there many times as a child for "kids eat free" night.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Westport Flea Market.

Not that its bad....because it isn't at all. But it does come anywhere close to the talk it gets around town.

Same thing for Herford House.

Good one. That place is like a hamburger folk hero. It's got a fucking fake Kraft Single slice on it. No great cheeseburger has American cheese on it.

|Zach|
02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Never been to Red Lobster...but yea...I always imagined a seafood type Olive Garden. I would try it out.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Bite your tongue. Chili's is a masterpiece of good food at a good price. Their chicken crispers are the Mona Lisa of ... fried chicken nuggetylike things.

I'll give you this much, if someone had a gun to my head and told me I had to eat at either Applebee's, or Chili's, I would pick Chili's.

Oh and toss TGI Friday's on the overrated list.

Saul Good
Also, somebody's going to say Chick-Fil-A. I will stab them through the internet when this happens.

Dr. Facebook Fever
Buffalo Wild Wings

RockChalk
02-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm going to catch hell for this, but Strouds is overrated.

Depends on the location. The old shack off of Holmes (now gone) was always delicious, especially their chicken noodle soup. The one in Liberty is usually pretty damn good. However, the one off of SM Pkwy can burn down for all I care.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Depends on the location. The old shack off of Holmes (now gone) was always delicious, especially their chicken noodle soup. The one in Liberty is usually pretty damn good. However, the one off of SM Pkwy can burn down for all I care.

I've only been to the old one. If you want legit food like that, go to RC's in Martin City. You'll never miss Strouds.

Stanley Nickels
Hold on, how the fuck are restaurants like Applebee's overrated? Is there a high opinion of them amongst anyone, which you disagree with? I call it forgettable food that id get if nothing else was going on and i was tight on funds. In KC, PF Chang's, McCormick& Schmicks (and it's god-awfully overrated whore sister, M&S grill), and Extra Virgin come to mind. As a price-to-experience ratio, those have scored the lowest with me. I don't mind paying for good quality, even at Michael Smith's or Justus Drugstore, and we're pretty spoiled with great quality for the price in this town.

|Zach|
Buffalo Wild Wings

Yes.

1000x yes...

Bwana
Buffalo Wild Wings

I forgot about that and no doubt! Nasty nasty wings.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Buffalo Wild Wings

That place sucks balls. So does Hooters. Their food is terrible. If you want to look at slutty women wearing shorts, panty hose, and giant socks, I'm not mad at you. Just don't tell me that you're doing it for the wings.

SCTrojan
In the KC area - I would say Bo Ling's. I used to love that place, but it's gone a bit downhill in recent years. I think it lives on reputation mostly.

RockChalk
I've only been to the old one. If you want legit food like that, go to RC's in Martin City. You'll never miss Strouds.

Been to RC's many times. Martin City was always a food destination for my family growing up. Jess N Jims, RC's, original smokestack...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

3rd&48ers
I am not a 6 fork restaurant kind of guy... I can afford it but it's not my scene, I am just a country boy so when I say over rated it may seem like a funny to you guys but places like Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse are considered about as good as I really visit...

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
I am not a 6 fork restaurant kind of guy... I can afford it but it's not my scene, I am just a country boy so when I say over rated it may seem like a funny to you guys but places like Longhorn or Texas Roadhouse are considered about as good as I really visit...

Both of those are vastly underrated.

RockChalk

And there it is. Had to get that little tidbit in, didn't you?

3rd&48ers
We have a chain here called East Coast wings... people rave over them, I think they suck... Oh they can make some wings that will burn your throat and anus out but they just don't taste good, I like hot food but I like it to taste good too

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Been to RC's many times. Martin City was always a food destination for my family growing up. Jess N Jims, RC's, original smokestack...mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Love Smokestack. Might be the best all-round BBQ joint in KC. I'm ashamed to say that I've never been to Jess N Jims. If I go that far, I can't pry myself away from RC's or Smokestack.

3rd&48ers
Both of those are vastly underrated.

That 20oz Outlaw Ribeye is good eating to me, when I don't ask for steak sauce the steak is good and I have never put a drop on that steak.

Saul Good
Skyline Chili in Cincy. Fucking terrible.

Saulbadguy
Never been to Red Lobster...but yea...I always imagined a seafood type Olive Garden. I would try it out.

Pretty much. I do admit the cheese biscuit things are good.

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Also, somebody's going to say Chick-Fil-A. I will stab them through the internet when this happens.

its alright not THAT great

3rd&48ers
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
And there it is. Had to get that little tidbit in, didn't you?

Well I can but I can afford it because instead of me buying all the shit that makes others not afford it, I choose to keep my money ...

I do have a good amount of money but I don't live like it... Why Lie?

Saulbadguy
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
its alright not THAT great

They have great sea urchin ceviche.

Saulbadguy
02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Ok, how about the metric fuck-ton of Midwestern Tex-Mex places that have the following:

99 cent cheese dip with an entree
99 cent margaritas on a specific night
BLAND FUCKING FOOD
and the same fucking menu no matter what the name of the restaurant, and a waiter that informs you that the plate is fucking hot!

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Ok, how about the metric fuck-ton of Midwestern Tex-Mex places that have the following:

BLAND FUCKING FOOD
and the same fucking menu no matter what the name of the restaurant, and a waiter that informs you that the plate is fucking hot!

I like Mi Ranchito's fajita quesadillas.

luv
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Olive Garden

Saulbadguy
02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Olive Garden

I have hope for you yet.

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2012, 05:20 PM

BLAND FUCKING FOOD

If the staff isn't all Mexican, its not good Mexican food.

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Ok, how about the metric ****-ton of Midwestern Tex-Mex places that have the following:

BLAND ****ING FOOD
and the same ****ing menu no matter what the name of the restaurant, and a waiter that informs you that the plate is ****ing hot!

Oh, yeah. That reminds me. My wife and I went to an "On The Border" at one point when we were out of town, and decided that we would never go to "On The Border" again. It wasn't like we had a terrible experience, but we both suspected that we had a representative experience. Bland, cheap food prepared without heart.

Saulbadguy
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh, yeah. That reminds me. My wife and I went to an "On The Border" at one point when we were out of town, and decided that we would never go to "On The Border" again. It wasn't like we had a terrible experience, but we both suspected that we had a representative experience. Bland, cheap food prepared without heart.

Yes, that is worst than the aforementioned midwestern tex-mex places.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
If the staff isn't all Mexican, its not good Mexican food.

Heh, if you walk in and yell, INS! and some people don't start running out the back door, leave. :)

SuperChief
02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
Montana Mike's

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
I know a lot of people who love Applebees, and I don't get it.

I used to think Chili's was pretty disgusting, but they redid their menu and I think it's now decent for that kind of restaurant.

I like Buffalo Wild Wings... not the best wings ever, but it's just chicken. The sauces are good (better than Hooters, IMO), their fried pickles are much better than the thin slices elsewhere, and they carry the Boulevard seasonal on tap. But, I've been saving money lately by just walking in and buying a couple of bottles of Wild and Blazzin. :)

I'm going to catch hell for this, but Strouds is overrated.

Yeah, I don't see how the food they serve could ever live up to the hype... I can't imagine the best fried chicken ever being considerably better than decent fried chicken.

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Skyline Chili in Cincy. Fucking terrible.

Yes, sir.

Saulbadguy
I don't mind the wings at BWW - just don't care for the NASCAR/UFC/KU basketball crowd there.

Dr. Facebook Fever
I forgot about that and no doubt! Nasty nasty wings.

I've only eaten at 3 maybe 4 different ones but I assume that's enough. The one we have here in town in bloody awful. My daughter likes boneless wings and BWW can't even figure out how to coat the whole wing in sauce. Truly staggering to me. Not to mention that they're often on the hard side and have very little meat in them.

We have a couple of all day wingfest contests here each winter... one is made up of home recipes and the other is restaurants and BWW hasn't even placed in the top 5 (top 5 get prizes) in the 4 years we've had the event. You'd think maybe a place named for their wings would have a half a clue how to make a non-shitty product. I swear Wendys is better than them.

|Zach|
02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Kind of surprised by some responses. Alot of these places are what they are. Like...I don't know how Olive Garden can be overrated.

It is what we thought it was.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Olive Garden

I thought all women liked Olive Garden.

Zio's is much better at that price point for "Italian" food. Their Tomato Florentine soup is excellent, and their lasagna is pretty good.

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Chick-fil-a owns

Saulbadguy
02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
Kind of surprised by some responses. Alot of these places are what they are. Like...I don't know how Olive Garden can be overrated.

It is what we thought it was.

Try to go to an Olive Garden on a Friday night. The place is packed. The fact that there is a wait to dine there means its overrated.

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 05:27 PM
See bucks Mexican/BBQ thread for my thoughts on texmex

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Pretty much all chain restaurants suck so ya

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Try to go to an Olive Garden on a Friday night. The place is packed. The fact that there is a wait to dine there means its overrated.

So is McDonalds. Cheap and convenient doesn't equal highly rated, but a lot of people seem to think that Olive Garden is good.

I was watching "The Girls Next Door" years ago, and Kendra had a birthday party. Her favorite gift was a gift card to Olive Garden. WTF? She's got gourmet chefs on call 24/7 at the mansion, and she wants to eat that crap.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I was going to also say Chick-fil-a just to piss off Saul Good... but I've never eaten at one.

:)

Easy 6
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I was afraid I'd take a beating for not liking Golden Corral. I'm surprised that other folks are agreeing.

They're just barely a step away from Institutional Food, i've had Army chow hall food that was better.

Overcooked fish, blah fried chicken, dangerous meatloaf & delicious gourmet steaks, if you're a dog.

Saulbadguy
02-27-2012, 05:30 PM
So is McDonalds. Cheap and convenient doesn't equal highly rated, but a lot of people seem to think that Olive Garden is good.

I was watching "The Girls Next Door" years ago, and Kendra had a birthday party. Her favorite gift was a gift card to Olive Garden. WTF? She's got gourmet chefs on call 24/7 at the mansion, and she wants to eat that crap.

You don't wait 35 minutes to get in to a McDonalds. You don't get dressed up to go to McDonalds.

I have several co-workers who go to Olive Garden on their birthday.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:31 PM
You don't wait 35 minutes to get in to a McDonalds.

I have several co-workers who go to Olive Garden on their birthday.

I agree about Olive Garden. Just making a distinction.

Dartgod
I think Red Lobster is fine for what I expect it to be. I don't expect to get great seafood living in the midwest.

KCUnited
I never understood the love Sharp's got here in KC, likely why they're closed.

HemiEd
02-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Maggiano's (http://www.maggianos.com/EN/Grand_Chicago_IL/Pages/LocationLanding.aspx) is a legend around Chicagoland. Meh, nothing special, plenty of good Italian food around at a better price and closer.

We enjoy Amalfi (http://www.ristoranteamalfi.com/) and it is a much better value.

3rd&48ers
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
I think Red Lobster is fine for what I expect it to be. I don't expect to get great seafood living in the midwest.

It all comes the same to all of those restaurants... Frozen ... Hell I bet you can buy seafood cheaper where you are than I can when I go to the beach here...

Dartgod
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Olive Garden is not great Italian food, but it's not dog food either. I like Bravo! and the best IMO is Garozzo's.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
I also don't get the fascination many have over T.G.I. Fridays. Pretty blah imo.

Yes I know it's another chain so.... it's supposed to suck I guess... but these are the places most people know.

I'll be the outcast who actually likes Olive Garden, however I haven't eaten at one in a couple years so I may not so much anymore.

3rd&48ers
02-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Olive Garden is not great Italian food, but it's not dog food either. I like Bravo! and the best IMO is Garozzo's.

I ate a pretty good steak at OG one time, but it is basically nothing but a carb fest

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM

Good point. I don't mind Red Lobster at all the few times I've eaten there.

Saul Good
On an opposite note, check out the Dodge City Distillery on a Thursday sometime. It's on 119th and Blackbob. Pretty good food for the price, and they have $2 calls...not wells...on Thursdays. They distill their own vodka and tequila there. It's a pretty good bargain.

Rain Man
On the other hand, some chain restaurants that I really like are (in no particular order):

Chili's
Red Robin
Chik Fil A
Boston Market
Black Eyed Pea
Panda Express

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:36 PM

Bravo/Brio is MUCH better than Olive Garden. I'd put Garozzo's on the overrated list, actually. I really like their Capelli D'angelo, though.

SPchief
I really think that Gates is overrated to me. OK Joes kills them.

Easy 6
What i love about chain restaurants is the image they portray in commercials... its always some clean cut, portly looking guy back there with his *official* chef hat on.

When in reality... its some greasy, bony burnout with zits that are practically oozing into your dish.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:37 PM
On the other hand, some chain restaurants that I really like are (in no particular order):

Chili's
Red Robin
Chik Fil A
Boston Market
Black Eyed Pea
Panda Express

I eat lunch at Boston Market at least twice a week. I will never understand why more people don't eat there.

Saul Good
I really think that Gates is overrated to me. OK Joes kills them.

Yep. Their smoked turkey is really good, though.

lewdog

Chili's
Red Robin
Chik Fil A
Boston Market
Black Eyed Pea
Panda Express

Get a new thread for this shit!!!!!

Dr. Facebook Fever
What i love about chain restaurants is the image they portray in commercials... its always some clean cut, portly looking guy back there with his *official* chef hat on.

When in reality... its some greasy, bony burnout with zits that are practically oozing into your dish.

LMAO

truth

Rain Man
Bravo/Brio is MUCH better than Olive Garden. I'd put Garozzo's on the overrated list, actually. I really like their Capelli D'angelo, though.

Anyone have experience with Carraba's? Once when I was out of town I ate at a chain Italian restaurant and really liked it. I think it was Carraba's but I'm not sure.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
They're just barely a step away from Institutional Food, i've had Army chow hall food that was better.

Overcooked fish, blah fried chicken, dangerous meatloaf & delicious gourmet steaks, if you're a dog.

LMAO

The last time I set foot in one was over 10 years ago. The people in there were blue hairs, Jed and Lulu's and drags on society that looked like they drifted over from the local meth house/trailer park. No thanks!!

As a bonus, the cook looked something like this meth monkey.

https://img-s.foursquare.com/derived_pix/PLJBNMZZIU3DT53V4B13KZ1GYW1IZK2052IFUGHOFL3I4W5H_300x300.jpg

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
Anyone have experience with Carraba's? Once when I was out of town I ate at a chain Italian restaurant and really liked it. I think it was Carraba's but I'm not sure.

The only thing I remember about Carraba's is that the A/C was so cold that my teeth were chattering. I couldn't even finish eating, and I'm not one to be bothered by that sort of thing easily. Never went back.

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 05:39 PM
I eat lunch at Boston Market at least twice a week. I will never understand why more people don't eat there.

Good food, inexpensive, and it seems relatively healthy. I suspect that it's not more popular because - and I say this in all sincerity - it's not greasy. People want a little decadence when they eat out, and Boston Market isn't decadent.

lewdog
02-27-2012, 05:40 PM

Panda Express

I am embarrassed to say I actually really like Panda Express too.....I always feel weird about liking it, though.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
This is me opening the door to massive criticism I'm sure but oh well. What's the famous BBQ place in KC that has a restaurant in a gas station? I ate there with some family from out of town once on their over-bearing recommendation and really didn't care for it.

However... and here's kicking the door open again... I'm not in love with BBQ like most people around here. I don't dislike it... I just don't care about it. There's other things I'd rather have than even what is supposed to be good BBQ.

Flame away.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Good food, inexpensive, and it seems relatively healthy. I suspect that it's not more popular because - and I say this in all sincerity - it's not greasy. People want a little decadence when they eat out, and Boston Market isn't decadent.

I'm a big fan of the quick-casual style for lunch (Chipotle, Boston Market, Panera). I don't eat at Chipotle nor Panera much anymore because it's so bad for you. Boston Market really isn't. I get 3 sandwich sliders (usually turkey or bbq chicken) plus a drink and a side for $5.50 plus tax. I always get a cornbread, and they charge for it about half the time. Now they have punch cards where your fifth meal is free, so it works out to about $5.00 a meal. You can't eat at McDonalds for that.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 05:43 PM
This is me opening the door to massive critisism I'm sure but oh well. What's the famous BBQ place in KC that has a restaurant in a gas station? I ate there with some family from out of town once on their over-bearing recommendation and really didn't care for it.

However... and here's kicking the door open again... I'm not in love with BBQ like most people around here. I don't dislike it... I just don't care about it. There's other things I'd rather have than even what is supposed to be good BBQ.

Flame away.

Oklahoma Joes. Their pulled pork is amazing. Their short ends are really good as well, but they're a little salty.

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
For the price, I never knew how overrated the Olive Garden was until I went to Bravo for the first time a few years ago.... now if someone brings up the Olive Garden I'll immediately suggest Bravo.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Oklahoma Joes. Their pulled pork is amazing. Their short ends are really good as well, but they're a little salty.

I think it was the short ends I had. It was a few years ago. I just didn't love it like I'm supposed to being from the heartland and near KC.

Rain Man
I am embarrassed to say I actually really like Panda Express too.....I always feel weird about liking it, though.

No person who has ever had their orange chicken can resist it. There's some kind of witchcraft involved, I'm sure of it.

Bearcat
This is me opening the door to massive criticism I'm sure but oh well. What's the famous BBQ place in KC that has a restaurant in a gas station? I ate there with some family from out of town once on their over-bearing recommendation and really didn't care for it.

Flame away.

You're dead to me.

Dartgod
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM

It's been a few years since I've been. It was not bad, but don't really remember it in detail.

SPchief
02-27-2012, 05:47 PM

Flame away.

I always knew you were a homo

Easy 6
https://img-s.foursquare.com/derived_pix/PLJBNMZZIU3DT53V4B13KZ1GYW1IZK2052IFUGHOFL3I4W5H_300x300.jpg

LMAO

THATS your chain 'chef'.

Rain Man
Y'know, this would be a fun new tournament for the offseason. Anyone mind if I start one up to identify our favorite chain restaurant? Here's a pretty big list of chains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_restaurant_chains_in_the_United_States

Dartgod
For the price, I never knew how overrated the Olive Garden was until I went to Bravo for the first time a few years ago.... now if someone brings up the Olive Garden I'll immediately suggest Bravo.

I'd choose Bravo! over Olive Garden every time. I love their diablo sauce.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
You're dead to me.

You'll get over it during the KU game tonight.

:thumb:

Look at it this way... if I'm not eating BBQ that leaves more for you.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 05:48 PM
LMAO

THATS your chain 'chef'.

Exactly

Dartgod
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Y'know, this would be a fun new tournament for the offseason. Anyone mind if I start one up to identify our favorite chain restaurant? Here's a pretty big list of chains:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_restaurant_chains_in_the_United_States

I think you would have to do brackets based on type of cuisine. American, Mexican, Italian, Steak, Seafood, etc.

And then have the top 2 or 3 in each category meet for the finals.

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
I think you would have to do brackets based on type of cuisine. American, Mexican, Italian, Steak, Seafood, etc.

And then have the top 2 or 3 in each category meet for the finals.

Hmm. Let me ponder that. You're right in that we wouldn't want someone's current hankerin' for some food to affect their decision, but that'll ultimately happen anyway.

The other challenge is that there are a whole lot of chains, and in looking at the list I suspect that many are regional and thus unfamiliar to significant numbers of us. Lemme think about how to structure this.

I'd also need to figure out how to ask the question so that everyone doesn't just go for the most expensive place, especially if we have fast food competing against non-fast food.

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
You'll get over it during the KU game tonight.

:thumb:

Look at it this way... if I'm not eating BBQ that leaves more for you.

Like Saul said, their pulled pork is awesome. I go to Gates for the sauce (and because it's across the street from Arrowhead), and I go to OK Joe's for the meat and sides. I lived half a mile from the gas station location for a little while and never got tired of it.

Frazod
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Outback. Seriously, it's the bottled water of steak. By that I mean you can get better cheaper damn near anywhere, yet people flock to that shit like a moth to a flame.

|Zach|
02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
You don't wait 35 minutes to get in to a McDonalds. You don't get dressed up to go to McDonalds.

You don't know me.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Like Saul said, their pulled pork is awesome. I go to Gates for the sauce (and because it's across the street from Arrowhead), and I got to OK Joe's for the meat and sides. I lived half a mile from the gas station location for a little while and never got tired of it.

Like I said, I don't dislike BBQ I'm just not insane for it like pretty much everyone else. It's not the first time I've been an outcast around here and it won't be the last, heh.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 05:57 PM
You don't know me.

You get dressed up to go hang with Ron? :D

Bwana
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Like I said, I don't dislike BBQ I'm just not insane for it like pretty much everyone else. It's not the first time I've been an outcast around here and it won't be the last, heh.

So are you talking about the Gates by Arrowhead?

PunkinDrublic
02-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Applebees. It's the type of place I'd take my girl after paying for an abortion. I'd run to the bathroom in the middle of dinner and then sneak out never to talk to her again.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
So are you talking about the Gates by Arrowhead?

No, never eaten there. I was talking about the place that's in a gas station which I'm told is OK Joe's.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
No, never eaten there. I was talking about the place that's in a gas station which I'm told is OK Joe's.

Got ya and I've never eaten there. If you were talking about the Gates by Arrowhead, I was going to agree.

Frazod
02-27-2012, 06:02 PM
The saving grace for Applebee's is the maple butter blondie. Fuck that's good.

Unfortunately, it's not good enough to endure everything else. Haven't been there in a couple of years.

FAX
02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Hmm. Let me ponder that. You're right in that we wouldn't want someone's current hankerin' for some food to affect their decision, but that'll ultimately happen anyway.

The other challenge is that there are a whole lot of chains, and in looking at the list I suspect that many are regional and thus unfamiliar to significant numbers of us. Lemme think about how to structure this.

I'd also need to figure out how to ask the question so that everyone doesn't just go for the most expensive place, especially if we have fast food competing against non-fast food.

I have an idea. Maybe you could start by doing the poll by ingredient, Mr. Rain Man. You could begin with something like ...

Salt
Green Onion
Baking Powder
Limes
Lamb Chop
Paprika
Bread Crumb

etc., etc., etc.

... and so on. You get the idea ... then, after the peoples have voted for the ingredients of their choice, all you have to do is figure out which restaurant uses those most popular ingredients in their typical foodstuffs not including specials like Lemon Pie Friday, for example. That way, you take the cost/price factor out of the equation as well as the chain/local restaurant problem.

FAX THE HELPFUL TO ALL AT ALL TIMES

alpha_omega
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Easy......
Ruth's Chris

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Got ya and I've never eaten there. If you were talking about the Gates by Arrowhead, I was going to agree.

AH HA! Look everyone... someone else you can give your non BBQ lovin hate to!

:D

PunkinDrublic
02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Any gas station in Georgia that sells boiled peanuts. Evidently boiled peanuts are big in Georgia because they sell them all over the place. Those things are fucking disgusting.

FAX
02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Easy......
Ruth's Chris

I was going to suggest them. I question that whole deal, to be honest.

FAX

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
When FAX quotes Rain Man and they have a conversation it's kind of like when Moses parted the red sea.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 06:07 PM
AH HA! Look everyone... someone else you can give your non BBQ lovin hate to!

:D

I have a buddy in KC that I was telling the story to about that Gates by Arrowhead. I was telling him how bad it was and he did agree with me. I guess there is some Gates "in the hood," where the BBQ is a lot better. He claims he's going to buy next time I'm down, to prove it.

Bane
02-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Red Lobster.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 06:09 PM
I have a buddy in KC that I was telling the story to about that Gates by Arrowhead. I was telling him how bad it was and he did agree with me. I guess there is some Gates "in the hood," where the BBQ is a lot better. He claims he's going to buy next time I'm down, to prove it.

Well enjoy your meal and make it out alive.

Frazod
02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Easy......
Ruth's Chris

Oh, I think they're really good, but ridiculously overpriced.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Not a restaurant, but Omaha Steaks.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Well enjoy your meal and make it out alive.

I hope so and yes.

BIG_DADDY
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Olive Garden

scho63
02-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGI Fridays, Carrabbas, Applebees, Chilis, Outback Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, and the rest of the middle America "gourmet" restaurants.

I don't eat in these shit holes-waste of money

DeezNutz
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I was going to also say Chick-fil-a just to piss off Saul Good... but I've never eaten at one.

Chick-fil-a sucks; not memorable or noteworthy in any fashion.

RockChalk
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
As a bonus, the cook looked something like this meth monkey.

Where did you find MTG10?

mlyonsd
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Wendy's.

BigMeatballDave
02-27-2012, 06:27 PM

I eat there twice a month. I'd say its quite memorable.

Its my first choice for chicken.

Not KFC.

tredadda
02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Maybe it is because I was born and raised in the KC area, but I find Famous Daves to be highly overrated.

Reaper16
02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Chick-fil-A is not for me. Too sweet. *awaits internet stabbing*

mlyonsd
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Maybe it is because I was born and raised in the KC area, but I find Famous Daves to be highly overrated.I wasn't born in the KC area and I agree with you. FD's is for people that don't own a smoker.

Red Beans
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
far and away...

Outback. Calling that shithole a "steak house" is an insult to cow anus everywhere.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM

Interdasting

Mosbonian
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Skyline Chili in Cincy. ****ing terrible.

Skyline Chili would have to get better just to be effing terrible in my book.

O.city
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I'll tell you one place thats not terrible, I just was taken their today for lunch by friends dentist dad for lunch today......

and that's the Majestic steak house in KC. Very veryy good.

Dayze
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Gates

rockymtnchief
02-27-2012, 06:34 PM
That place sucks balls. So does Hooters. Their food is terrible. If you want to look at slutty women wearing shorts, panty hose, and giant socks, I'm not mad at you. Just don't tell me that you're doing it for the wings.

I agree.

I've been dragged to 4 or 5 Hooters and hated their food. Plus, 75% of the women I saw there weren't edible either.

Mi_chief_fan
02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Sonic.

FAX
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Man ... I don't eat at any of those places. Ever.

I guess the only "overrated" place I patronize that you guys may know would be the Loveless Cafe. (Paul McCartney once remarked in a Rolling Stone interview that the Loveless was his favorite restaurant.) They used to have really good southern fried chicken with gravy and biscuits, but something bad must have happened and they lost their touch.

People still rave about the place and I eat there occasionally, but they are living on past reputation, so far as I can tell.

Although, I have to admit that they do have a pretty decent mail-order breakfast deal you can buy on the internet and have shipped. It can include pancake mix, preserves, bacon, sausage, and stuff like that. Their breakfast stuff isn't too bad ... particularly the preserves.

FAX

Mosbonian
02-27-2012, 06:38 PM
OK.....I'll break the ice on this one and take the grief

Hooter's.....highly over rated

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM

You're like the 5th and no one disagrees.

;)

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I'll tell you one place thats not terrible, I just was taken their today for lunch by friends dentist dad for lunch today......

and that's the Majestic steak house in KC. Very veryy good.

Yep... I haven't been there since it changed ownership, but it's one of my favorite places. I tend to get the same basic dinner, and I'm never disappointed.... steak soup, a steak with a twice baked potato, and apple crisp. :drool:

And it's one of the few places around here that can make a good Long Island Iced Tea... not the watered down crap at most bars and restaurants.

Mosbonian
02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Sorry...I didn't see the others, I just scanned the pages.

O.city
02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Yep... I haven't been there since it changed ownership, but it's one of my favorite places. I tend to get the same basic dinner, and I'm never disappointed.... steak soup, a steak with a twice baked potato, and apple crisp. :drool:

And it's one of the few places around here that can make a good Long Island Iced Tea... not the watered down crap at most bars and restaurants.

Yeah, we had a great lunch. It was nice that the Doc that took us pretty much said, open tab when we went in for lunch too though. We had some top notch wine and great steaks.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm a big fan of the quick-casual style for lunch (Chipotle, Boston Market, Panera). I don't eat at Chipotle nor Panera much anymore because it's so bad for you. Boston Market really isn't. I get 3 sandwich sliders (usually turkey or bbq chicken) plus a drink and a side for $5.50 plus tax. I always get a cornbread, and they charge for it about half the time. Now they have punch cards where your fifth meal is free, so it works out to about $5.00 a meal. You can't eat at McDonalds for that.

a burrito and drink fron Chipotle is as healthy or healthier than 3 sliders, a side, and a drink.

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 06:43 PM

The 3 mile island sauce is weak... it would be at least the 3rd or 4th hottest on BWW's menu, and it's not that good overall.

tredadda
02-27-2012, 06:47 PM
You're like the 5th and no one disagrees.

;)

Cause the food is not very good. But then again from my experiences people go for there for the beer and women, not so much for the cuisine.

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Cause the food is not very good. But then again from my experiences people go for there for the beer and women, not so much for the cuisine.

Yes

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah, we had a great lunch. It was nice that the Doc that took us pretty much said, open tab when we went in for lunch too though. We had some top notch wine and great steaks.

Yeah, they have a long wine list, from what I remember. If you like jazz, you should definitely go there for dinner one night.

Well, maybe... looking at their website, it doesn't look like Bram Wijnands plays there much any more, and they don't have jazz every night. I worked there in college and loved it... made really good money, too.

mnchiefsguy
02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Maybe it is because I was born and raised in the KC area, but I find Famous Daves to be highly overrated.

Famous Daves is good....it is just not up to the Kansas City standard. Famous Dave's started in Minneapolis, and they are the dominated BBQ up there. When we first moved up there years ago, I went about five months without good KC BBQ, and my in-laws took me to Famous Dave's for my birthday. It was a good imitation of KC BBQ...not as good as our hometown favorites, but good enough to get a man through a long drought of BBQ when he is far from home.

O.city
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah, they have a long wine list, from what I remember. If you like jazz, you should definitely go there for dinner one night.

Well, maybe... looking at their website, it doesn't look like Bram Wijnands plays there much any more, and they don't have jazz every night. I worked there in college and loved it... made really good money, too.

I bet.

I've been there a few times on Friday night for wine and Jazz. It's a really cool place.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 06:53 PM
a burrito and drink fron Chipotle is as healthy or healthier than 3 sliders, a side, and a drink.

800 calories in the chicken fajita burrito with corn salsa, sour cream, and cheese that I like. 34 grams of fat and 17 grams of saturated fat.

52% of daily fat
85% of saturated fat
61% cholesterol
76% sodium

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Famous Daves is good....it is just not up to the Kansas City standard. Famous Dave's started in Minneapolis, and they are the dominated BBQ up there. When we first moved up there years ago, I went about five months without good KC BBQ, and my in-laws took me to Famous Dave's for my birthday. It was a good imitation of KC BBQ...not as good as our hometown favorites, but good enough to get a man through a long drought of BBQ when he is far from home.

Famous Dave's isn't bad at all. The rib tips are good, and so are the fries. It's not a go-to spot in KC, but it's way better than the "best bbq place in town" that I've been to in some other cities, especially on the east coast.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
I bet.

I've been there a few times on Friday night for wine and Jazz. It's a really cool place.

I really need to go there sometime. Everyone seems to love it.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM

That's about right. Dave's is the only BBQ joint here in town and it will do in a jam. It's nothing like good KC BBQ, or like I can knock out on my smoker.

O.city
02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
I really need to go there sometime. Everyone seems to love it.

It's great man. You should hit it up sometime.

If you decide to go there actually, let me know. I'll never turn down a trip.

Al Bundy
02-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Hooters is terrible.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 06:59 PM
It's great man. You should hit it up sometime.

If you decide to go there actually, let me know. I'll never turn down a trip.

What do I need to do to do it right?

Day of the week
Time
Time of year (if important)
What to wear (if important)
What to order

RockChalk
02-27-2012, 06:59 PM

For the most part, it's crap.

Somewhat "funny" story, funny to me at least. I had a bunch of friends go out to NY in November for the KU Kentucky game. They were speaking to a local about a good place to eat, somewhere local. The girl told them there was a Famous Daves across the street that was real good. Famous Daves in NY. I might have slapped that girl if I'd been there, haha.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
We need to do some sort of CP restaurant gift card swap. Everyone thrown in a $50 (or whatever) gift card, and we figure out a random way to deal them out, preferably so that people get cards to places they haven't been.

DaKCMan AP
02-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Cheesecake Factory.

A chain restaurant that tries to pass itself off has upper echelon, has a gigantic menu of previously frozen food, does nothing spectacular and everything, at best, average. Bastards even have advertisements in their dictionary-sized menu.

O.city
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Day of the week
Time
What to order

I'd hit it up on the weekend for diner. You get a nice setting with some jazz. I've always kinda went for a party or diner type thing, so I've always worn business casual type stuff, but I've also just worn jeans and a nice shirt. I don't think it really matters though.

I've never really had a bad meal there. I'm a big Lamb chops fan, they have some really good ones there.

My dad really likes the KC strip there. It's a little pricey but I like any steak I've ever had at the place. I really like the crab cakes there too.

My fav. thing is the wine though.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Chick-Fil-A.

I'd rather have a chicken sandwich from Wendy's.

DeezNutz
02-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Chick-fil-A is not for me. Too sweet. *awaits internet stabbing*

Back in the day, Chick-fil-a's name was "school cafeteria."

It sucks.

FAX
02-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Cheesecake Factory.

A chain restaurant that tries to pass itself off has upper echelon, has a gigantic menu of previously frozen food, does nothing spectacular and everything, at best, average. Bastards even have advertisements in their dictionary-sized menu.

ROFL

The last time I was there (about 12 months ago), the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX and I were with another couple. The other girl ordered some kind of giant salad thing and there amidst the greens lay hidden a latex glove. It was beyond disgusting.

We called the manager over, sent back everything, and told him apologies were useless as we just wanted to leave without creating a fuss or vomiting on his slacks. He gave us $200 in food card things. We still have ours.

How, I ask you, can a cook leave an entire latex glove in a salad? How is that even possible?

FAX

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Day of the week
Time
What to order

http://www.majestickc.com/about-us/frequently-asked-questions/

You need jazz...
http://www.majestickc.com/jazz/upcoming-shows/

Mouse over the events and make sure you go on a night where there's music in the 'KC Jazz Club' (it's a smaller setup when they play in the dining room... not as entertaining, IMO). Unless it's changed, it's usually Friday and Saturday nights, and maybe a night or two during the week. Bram Wijnands has opened at Carnegie Hall... yeah, he's pretty good.

You can eat in the main dining room for a quieter meal and then go down to the jazz club for a drink and music later, or just eat/drink/hang out in the jazz club.

Dress is casual, but most people show up in business/business casual.

You can't go wrong with any of their steaks... steak soup is a must, twice baked potato, and if you like apple crisp, it's the best ever. And they have a long wine list.

KCUnited
02-27-2012, 07:10 PM
75th Street Brewery. Always been a meh for me and they pack it in, people waiting to be seated. Summit Street IPA yadda yadda yadda.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Red Lobster is the Applebee's of seafood places. Utter shit, although I do appreciate the recipe for their cheddar bay biscuits - bisquick batter, cheese, water and melted butter mixed with garlic, oregano and a couple other spices. Nom.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Cheesecake Factory.

I would agree, but they do very well. I looked into opening one here in town at one point, but their franchise fee was something like 1.2 million at the time, ummm no.

crossbow
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Gonna have to say: the absolute worst steak I ever had was at Applebee's.

mikeyis4dcats.
02-27-2012, 07:18 PM
800 calories in the chicken fajita burrito with corn salsa, sour cream, and cheese that I like. 34 grams of fat and 17 grams of saturated fat.

52% of daily fat
85% of saturated fat
61% cholesterol
76% sodium

3 turkey sliders
780 calories
42g fat
75mg cholesterol
1500mg sodium

Mac&cheese
300 calories
11g fat
30mg cholesterol
1000mg sodium

Cornbread
180 calories
5g fat
10 mg cholesterol
270mg sodium

TOTAL 1360 calories, 58g fat (19.5 SAT), 115mg cholesterol, 2720mg sodium

Compared to my standard Chirpotle meal:
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">Nutrition Facts </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:7px solid #000000;" colspan="2"> Amount Per Serving </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Calories 965 </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;" nowrap="nowrap"> Cal from Fat 355 </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:4px solid #000000;text-align:right;" colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap"> % Daily Value* </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Total Fat 39g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;"> 59% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left:5px" colspan="2"><table style="width:100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Saturated Fat 18g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">90% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Trans Fat 0g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Cholesterol 135mg </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">45% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Sodium 2570mg </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">107% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Total Carbs 100g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">33% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left:5px" colspan="2"><table style="width:100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Dietary Fiber 13g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">52% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Sugars 10g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Protein 52g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:4px solid #000000;" colspan="2"> <table style="width:100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> Vitamin A </td> <td>0% </td> <td style="padding:0 5px;"> </td> <td> Vitamin C </td> <td>0% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Calcium </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">0% </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;padding:0 5px;"> </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Iron </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">0% </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;" colspan="2">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> <table style="width:240px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="text-align:center;vertical-align:top;width:10px;"> * </td> <td style="width:230px;"> Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:4px solid #000000;" colspan="2"> INGREDIENTS: 13" Tortilla,Rice,Pinto Beans,Barbacoa (4oz),Tomato Salsa,Green Tomatillo Salsa,Cheese,Sour Cream</td></tr></tbody></table>

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.majestickc.com/about-us/frequently-asked-questions/

You need jazz...
http://www.majestickc.com/jazz/upcoming-shows/

Mouse over the events and make sure you go on a night where there's music in the 'KC Jazz Club' (it's a smaller setup when they play in the dining room... not as entertaining, IMO). Unless it's changed, it's usually Friday and Saturday nights, and maybe a night or two during the week. Bram Wijnands has opened at Carnegie Hall... yeah, he's pretty good.

You can eat in the main dining room for a quieter meal and then go down to the jazz club for a drink and music later, or just eat/drink/hang out in the jazz club.

Dress is casual, but most people show up in business/business casual.

You can't go wrong with any of their steaks... steak soup is a must, twice baked potato, and if you like apple crisp, it's the best ever. And they have a long wine list.

I'm not a Jazz fan, but it sounds like a great place. Steakhouses and wine are a bad combo for me. The last time I did that, I dropped almost $600 at Gibson's. The time before that was at Capital Grill. I don't even remember what I spent, but I do know that I ordered 3 bottles of wine at $170 a pop. It was probably close to $700 between the wife and me...then my buddy picked up the tab. Nice

Good times, but it's an expensive habit.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
3 turkey sliders
780 calories
42g fat
75mg cholesterol
1500mg sodium

Mac&cheese
300 calories
11g fat
30mg cholesterol
1000mg sodium

Cornbread
180 calories
5g fat
10 mg cholesterol
270mg sodium

TOTAL 1360 calories, 58g fat (19.5 SAT), 115mg cholesterol, 2720mg sodium

Compared to my standard Chirpotle meal:
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2">Nutrition Facts </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:7px solid #000000;" colspan="2"> Amount Per Serving </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Calories 965 </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;" nowrap="nowrap"> Cal from Fat 355 </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:4px solid #000000;text-align:right;" colspan="2" nowrap="nowrap"> % Daily Value* </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Total Fat 39g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;"> 59% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left:5px" colspan="2"><table style="width:100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Saturated Fat 18g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">90% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Trans Fat 0g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Cholesterol 135mg </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">45% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Sodium 2570mg </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">107% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Total Carbs 100g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">33% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="padding-left:5px" colspan="2"><table style="width:100%;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Dietary Fiber 13g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;">52% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Sugars 10g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">Protein 52g </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;text-align:right;"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:4px solid #000000;" colspan="2"> <table style="width:100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td> Vitamin A </td> <td>0% </td> <td style="padding:0 5px;"> </td> <td> Vitamin C </td> <td>0% </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Calcium </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">0% </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;padding:0 5px;"> </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;"> Iron </td> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;">0% </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:1px solid #000000;" colspan="2">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2"> <table style="width:240px;" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td style="text-align:center;vertical-align:top;width:10px;"> * </td> <td style="width:230px;"> Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-top:4px solid #000000;" colspan="2"> INGREDIENTS: 13" Tortilla,Rice,Pinto Beans,Barbacoa (4oz),Tomato Salsa,Green Tomatillo Salsa,Cheese,Sour Cream</td></tr></tbody></table>

fuck

lewdog
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
While we are posting nutrition facts, take a look at the Bloomin' Onion at Outback. It will blow your mind!

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 whole

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 1440Calories 1996

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 160g 246%
Saturated Fat 48g 240%
Cholesterol 137mg 46%
Sodium 4078mg 170%
Total Carbohydrate 115g 38%
Dietary Fiber 15g 60%
Sugars 0g
Protein 17g

O.city
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm not a Jazz fan, but it sounds like a great place. Steakhouses and wine are a bad combo for me. The last time I did that, I dropped almost $600 at Gibson's. The time before that was at Capital Grill. I don't even remember what I spent, but I do know that I ordered 3 bottles of wine at $170 a pop. It was probably close to $700 between the wife and me...then my buddy picked up the tab. Nice

Good times, but it's an expensive habit.

Done that before, the wine goes in a hurry too.

|Zach|
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Famous Dave's isn't bad at all. The rib tips are good, and so are the fries. It's not a go-to spot in KC, but it's way better than the "best bbq place in town" that I've been to in some other cities, especially on the east coast.

Agree with this. Obv being in KC skews things but I went into my FD experience thinking it was gonna suck and went away being quite impressed.

Molitoth
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Hmm, there is one thing I really enjoy from Applebee's.... the Southwest Jalapeno burger dipped in the Asian Zing style sauce.

I'd say based on this thread alone; the most overrated is Chick-fil-A.

O.city
02-27-2012, 07:26 PM
My wife really like famous daves. She says its better than anything in KC.

Of course I think shes crazy when it comes to bbq. Absolutely crazy.

Molitoth
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
No person who has ever had their orange chicken can resist it. There's some kind of witchcraft involved, I'm sure of it.

Panda Express rules. I did graduate from Orange Chicken to Bejing Beef though!

|Zach|
02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I am gonna go against the tide her. I don't go often maybe 2 or 3 times a year at most but I have good experiences at Applebee's.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 07:28 PM
I am gonna go against the tide her. I don't go often maybe 2 or 3 times a year at most but I have good experiences at Applebee's.

Applebee's is fine as long as you just have a Brewtus or two. I wouldn't eat there or anything, though.

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM

She is dead to me.

listopencil
02-27-2012, 07:34 PM
I do have a good amount of money but I don't live like it... Why Lie?

I enjoy being a cheap bastard myself. I'll blow a few hundred without blinking an eye when it's something I want to get and the quality is there. I will, however, drive a few blocks out of my way to pay a buck less for something just because it annoys me to feel like I'm getting ripped off.

Count Zarth
Gonna have to say: the absolute worst steak I ever had was at Applebee's.

Was it tough?

It was probably microwaved.

Chocolate Hog
Olive Garden.

DaKCMan AP
02-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Applebee's is fine as long as you just have a Brewtus or two. I wouldn't eat there or anything, though.

Nah, even their brew tastes like water downed shit. I avoid Applebee's like the plague. Last year our flight got into Utah late and by the time we got to Layton it was after 9pm on a Sunday night. We went to every restaurant around the hotel and they were all closed... except Applebee's. If the company wasn't picking up the bill I probably would have skipped the meal.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Nah, even their brew tastes like water downed shit. I avoid Applebee's like the plague. Last year our flight got into Utah late and by the time we got to Layton it was after 9pm on a Sunday night. We went to every restaurant around the hotel and they were all closed... except Applebee's. If the company wasn't picking up the bill I probably would have skipped the meal.

Pretty sure their beer comes from the same distributors that every other bar uses.

DaKCMan AP
02-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Pretty sure their beer comes from the same distributors that every other bar uses.

Doesn't mean they can't water down their draughts. Actually, now that I think about it, this instance is more likely a Utah thing. I think a lot of the beer there is a lower alcohol by volume percentage. Their food was still shit, though.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Doesn't mean they can't water down their draughts. Actually, now that I think about it, this instance is more likely a Utah thing. I think a lot of the beer there is a lower alcohol by volume percentage. Their food was still shit, though.

That is possible (the Utah thing). It's not possible that they water down their beer. Distributors come through and check everything on a regular basis. They wouldn't be able to sell beer if they were altering it. The "brand" is way too important to the brewers to allow their product to be tampered with.

Gonzo
02-27-2012, 07:51 PM

LMAO

Bitch is cazy.

You know, Omaha has no good BBQ. The only thing that even comes close is a place called "The Ozarks" on Center. Two old ladies run the joint and they have 2 giant smokers that are the size of a pickup out back. They serve some good shit...

I should definitely start a BBQ joint here. I'd be one rich mofo with all the fat-asses around here.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Casa Bonita. The cliff divers suck and Blackbart's Cave isn't scary.

Discuss Thrower
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Alice's Restaurant

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 08:04 PM
LMAO

Bitch is cazy.

You know, Omaha has no good BBQ. The only thing that even comes close is a place called "The Ozarks" on Center. Two old ladies run the joint and they have 2 giant smokers that are the size of a pickup out back. They serve some good shit...

I should definitely start a BBQ joint here. I'd be one rich mofo with all the fat-asses around here.

Omaha has tons of fat people and nowhere good to eat. It's the damnedest thing. You'd think that they must have good food everywhere, but maybe they don't have good food because they don't have to. People there will just eat anything.

I'm 100% serious. One time when I went there to visit some friends who went to Creighton Law School and wanted Mexican. They all said that the best Mexican place in town was by the Riverfront. It was called "Dave's" or something. It was just some American guy's first name, and it was easily the worst Mexican food I've ever had.

I like Omaha for the CWS and Henry Doorley, but the nightlife, restaurants, etc. are abysmal.

O.city
02-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Omaha is a shit town.

Enough said.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Alice's Restaurant

It's okay. Kind of long, though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LjKF7aQthcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Discuss Thrower
02-27-2012, 08:08 PM
It's okay. Kind of long, though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LjKF7aQthcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm refraining from listening until Thanksgiving.

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Wheatfield's and Brewburgers... the two local places I go for food in Omaha.

(Fuddruckers is pretty good, too... went there for the first time about a month ago)

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 08:21 PM
(Fuddruckers is pretty good, too... went there for the first time about a month ago)

Carl Peterson used to eat at Fuddruckers in Kansas City all the time.

Chocolate Hog
02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm 100% serious. One time when I went there to visit some friends who went to Creighton Law School and wanted Mexican. They all said that the best Mexican place in town was by the Riverfront. It was called "Dave's" or something. It was just some American guy's first name, and it was easily the worst Mexican food I've ever had.

Damn dude that's Bugeaters father and law.

tredadda
02-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Casa Bonita. The cliff divers suck and Blackbart's Cave isn't scary.

That is good to hear. I have been hearing from others as well that the food sucks as well. I still want to take the family to see the cliff divers though just so I can say I have been there.

angelo
02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
In the KC area - I would say Bo Ling's. I used to love that place, but it's gone a bit downhill in recent years. I think it lives on reputation mostly.

I would say it depends on the location with Bo Lings. To me they are still one of the best in town.

I personally like Japanese teppenyaki but once again it depends on the location.

Ang

ThatRaceCardGuy
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Strouds. Almost everything on their menu is flavorless. Never understood why that place was so well liked.

dirk digler
02-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Can't disagree with any of the places people said were overrated. totally agree with RainMan about Panda Express...damn that place is good.

I used to love, love, love, love, love Olive Garden until I grew up and found better choices.

Great thread btw

Chocolate Hog
02-27-2012, 08:33 PM
The Kobari Beef at Panda Express is great.

dirk digler
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Omaha has tons of fat people and nowhere good to eat. It's the damnedest thing. You'd think that they must have good food everywhere, but maybe they don't have good food because they don't have to. People there will just eat anything.

I like Omaha for the CWS and Henry Doorley, but the nightlife, restaurants, etc. are abysmal.

Interesting. I was watching a show on the Food Network last year and they were highlighting the 2 steak houses in Omaha. They said they were really good but I haven't been back to Omaha lately to try them.

Chocolate Hog
02-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Omaha does have some good steak places especially out in the boonies but yea I agree overall that place kinda sucks.

dirk digler
02-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Omaha does have some good steak places especially out in the boonies but yea I agree overall that place kinda sucks.

Best thing about Omaha is the zoo

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Interesting. I was watching a show on the Food Network last year and they were highlighting the 2 steak houses in Omaha. They said they were really good but I haven't been back to Omaha lately to try them.

I can't speak to the steak places there. I'm sure they're great, but college kids weren't spending our money at high end steak joints. Now when I go, it's to bring my kid to the zoo, so fine dining isn't on the agenda.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Best thing about Omaha is the zoo

That and the CWS. They used to basically be in the same parking lot, but it seems like I heard they were moving it away from Rosenblatt, so I don't know if it's still the case.

dirk digler
02-27-2012, 08:49 PM
I can't speak to the steak places there. I'm sure they're great, but college kids weren't spending our money at high end steak joints. Now when I go, it's to bring my kid to the zoo, so fine dining isn't on the agenda.

I hear ya. We ate at King Kong their gyros were pretty good.

That is about the only place I can remember.

We did watch an Omaha Royals game which was pretty good.

Demonpenz
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Gates...if I want to get yelled at black people...

KCinNY
02-27-2012, 08:55 PM
A couple of the local chain Mexican places in the KC area are bloody awful: El Maguey and the Salty Iguana. Perfect examples of Mexican food made terribly bland for the tasteless suburban gringos.

On the good side...801 Chophouse in the P&L was awesome when my wife and I went there. Steak was very good and the salad, appetizers and dessert were top notch. Service was also excellent.

Wife and I kinda decided that it was better to spend $150 for a nice dinner there once every few months....instead of frequently dropping $30-$40 at the local Applebee's, Olive Garden or whatever.

Saul Good
02-27-2012, 08:59 PM
A couple of the local chain Mexican places in the KC area are bloody awful: El Maguey and the Salty Iguana. Perfect examples of Mexican food made terribly bland for the tasteless suburban gringos.

On the good side...801 Chophouse in the P&L was awesome when my wife and I went there. Steak was very good and the salad, appetizers and dessert were top notch. Service was also excellent.

Wife and I kinda decided that it was better to spend $150 for a nice dinner there once every few months....instead of frequently dropping $30-$40 at the local Applebee's, Olive Garden or whatever.

If you're going to spend $30-$40 for dinner in KC, you can do a lot better than Applebee's or Olive Garden. You really don't have to spend $150 to have a nice meal.

Gonzo
02-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Well, you're friends are slightly fucking retarded. There are a ton of good mexican joints here if you know where to look. Next time you're here, let me know and I will direct you.
As far as the CWS, (not a fan) they moved to a brand new field, (where Creighton plays) downtown. Rosenblatt was closed down. That's a sore subject for me, I loved that place. It was a great venue to watch the O-Royals.
The royals now play in Papillion-LaVista, outside of Omaha at a pretty nice joint.

All the good steakhouses have been closed down except for two, Anthony's and the Venice Inn. We used to have a pretty good sized organized crime population so in turn, we had a lot of great restaurants. Unfortunately, since the Italians have moved out, so have the good steak houses. All replaced by Applebee's and Chili's.
At least we still have the Spaghetti Works. Their menu has been the same for 30 years and its still decent.
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler
02-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Well, you're friends are slightly fucking retarded. There are a ton of good mexican joints here if you know where to look. Next time you're here, let me know and I will direct you.
As far as the CWS, (not a fan) they moved to a brand new field, (where Creighton plays) downtown. Rosenblatt was closed down. That's a sore subject for me, I loved that place. It was a great venue to watch the O-Royals.
The royals now play in Papillion-LaVista, outside of Omaha at a pretty nice joint.

All the good steakhouses have been closed down except for two, Anthony's and the Venice Inn. We used to have a pretty good sized organized crime population so in turn, we had a lot of great restaurants. Unfortunately, since the Italians have moved out, so have the good steak houses. All replaced by Applebee's and Chili's.
At least we still have the Spaghetti Works. Their menu has been the same for 30 years and its still decent.
Posted via Mobile Device

What about Piccolo Pete's and Caniglia's?

Gonzo
02-27-2012, 09:44 PM
What about Piccolo Pete's and Caniglia's?

Piccolo's is still there, (I think) but Caniglia's, club 89 and Mr. C's are gone.
Anthony's is still around but it's gone from dinner and a show to a steak house/night club type of place.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dartgod
02-27-2012, 09:51 PM
How many people that think Applebee's, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc. like the McRib?

Nzoner
02-27-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm ashamed to say that I've never been to Jess N Jims.

Their frog legs are :thumb:

Dartgod
02-27-2012, 09:57 PM
Piccolo's is still there, (I think) but Caniglia's, club 89 and Mr. C's are gone.
Anthony's is still around but it's gone from dinner and a show to a steak house/night club type of place.
Posted via Mobile Device

You ever go to a place in Waterloo, NE called Farmer Brown's? It's been a long time ago, but I seem to remember it being pretty good.

Gonzo
02-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah but that was back when I was 12-13. I remember a chunk of primerib the sizeof my head.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nzoner
02-27-2012, 10:09 PM
As for Omaha just a personal favorite but we always go to Valentino's,love their pizza and baked primavera.

Nzoner
02-27-2012, 10:16 PM
As for overrated I'll go with the italian place at harrah's,think it's called mike and charlies,supposed to be phenomenal italian and we were not impressed but thankfully we discovered the range steakhouse at the same harrah's.

Omaha
02-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Applebee's

Who is rating Applebees high?

Rain Man
02-27-2012, 10:26 PM
I have an idea. Maybe you could start by doing the poll by ingredient, Mr. Rain Man. You could begin with something like ...

Salt
Green Onion
Baking Powder
Limes
Lamb Chop
Paprika
Bread Crumb

etc., etc., etc.

... and so on. You get the idea ... then, after the peoples have voted for the ingredients of their choice, all you have to do is figure out which restaurant uses those most popular ingredients in their typical foodstuffs not including specials like Lemon Pie Friday, for example. That way, you take the cost/price factor out of the equation as well as the chain/local restaurant problem.

FAX THE HELPFUL TO ALL AT ALL TIMES

I wonder if we could use this system to make the ultimate recipe. So maybe if we determine that people's favorite individual ingredients are chocolate, prime rib, butter, and raspberry, we could use those to make the consensus favorite dish of chiefsplanet.

Omaha
02-27-2012, 10:28 PM

The fat people are eating at McDonald's. There are some really great oldest to eat here.

Bwana
02-27-2012, 10:34 PM

Go back and read the thread.

ChiefsCountry
02-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Applebees used to be really good but when it went more healthier and hip it went down hill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM

The Applebee's in the KC Northland was supposedly one of of the most popular in the nation at one time... I know a lot of people who love that place. I think I've been there maybe 3 or 4 times.

L.A. Chieffan
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
i usually just find a mom and pop place that serves really good food of a certain kind. i got a really good italian place, mexican, sushi, chinese, steak, bbq, greek, cuban, middle eastern on and on. fuck all the big corporatey corporates.

oh and i also know the maitre d at dorsia so that helps.

O.city
02-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Range in Harrahs is really nice.