PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Spinoff: Is the Chiefs organization distancing itself from Matt Cassel?

DA_T_84
02-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Here's the facts:

- The Chiefs have never touched the subject of acquiring a new starting Quarterback outside of Matt before this offseason.... last week, even.

- Pioli reiterated that there "will be competition at the quarterback position. (That being said, he also said that Brodie, Thigpen, and Palko were 'competition' in the past).

- Romeo has spoken out twice in the past week about potential game changers like RG3, and Peyton Manning. He has also beat the drum for Kyle Orton and what he did last season.

- A story leaked last week regarding the Chiefs' rumored interest in acquiring Peyton Manning should he be available.

- The Chiefs interviewed the top 3 QB's at the combine (Luck, RG3, Tannehill).

- On the front page of the official Chiefs website, there is an interview with Greg Cosell, who essentially says that the Chiefs can't fully compete with Cassel at the helm. Again, this is on the Chiefs website...

Those facts considered, it appears that the organization might be attempting to untie the knot between Cassel and the starting QB spot. This is a major shift from the past. It brings to light a few questions:

1. Why?
- To win the media/public back?
- To attract/retain potential free agents that don't want to play with Cassel? (Bowe, TE's, Oline)

2 Why NOW?
- What strategic advantage does it pose to float these thoughts to the public?
- Does this hurt our case in FA or the draft, by showing our hand early?

And finally,

3. Will Pioli actually sack up and make a game-changing move?

Bwana
02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
I would hope so, but I highly doubt it.

keg in kc
02-27-2012, 06:01 PM
I've been wondering the same thing for several weeks now.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
This would totally explain Pioli's comments about Cassel being the starter.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 06:03 PM

They always do this. This is not noteworthy.

Bane
02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
No.They're setting up the draft and everything else to "build" around Casshole as usual.Pioli will ride that trade into the ground. The end.

DA_T_84
02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
They always do this. This is not noteworthy.

Do they?

Not being a smartass.

They always interview the top QB prospects?

DA_T_84
02-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Yeah, but that's the same old tune he's always sung. Nothing interesting or new about that...

What I'm asking is, given all these other little variables that keep bubbling up, is there any reason to think that something different is on the horizon?

Pioli would never, ever let something like that be on the Chiefs page, or let Romeo pop off about other QB's had this been last year. Romeo isn't petrified of Scott's wrath... so does that mean he has Scott's blessing?

FAX
02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
I've been wondering the same thing for several weeks now.

Have you a theory, Mr. keg in kc?

If so, I'd love to hear it.

FAX

Easy 6
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Romeo said nice things about his time with RGIII & gave the no brainer answer to 'what about Manning?'... not exactly 'print'em' material.

I would definitely agree that there is quite a bit a smoke rolling out of Arrowhead right now regarding qb's, moreso than years past... but to try & figure out what they're really thinking is far beyond me.

Nothing, good or bad, will surprise me this year.

O.city
02-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm just gonna play the wait and see, but I think something is gonna happen.

Anyway, down with Cassel.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't think it's anything you need to read in between the lines with. I hope I'm wrong, but I think Cassel is gonna be the starter again next year and there won't be much "competition."

Dr. Facebook Fever
02-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm not even from Missouri but they need to show me... with action, not just words. I'm hopeful though.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Pioli has two years to save his ass. Bringing in a rookie QB throws a monkey wrench in that.

His best hope is Cassel riding a stacked team.

DA_T_84
02-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Pioli has two years to save his ass. Bringing in a rookie QB throws a monkey wrench in that.

That, or it buys him more time, yes?

RustShack

You mean of the current QB's on the roster? There are 31 other teams in the NFL that would also start Cassel over Stanzi.

Bane

Bing bing bing!

boogblaster
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
no-brainer ... can't win with casshole ......

tredadda
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Honest answer? Possibly, but with Pioli and this organization nothing can be taken for more than face value. Actions mean everything. Once he addresses the QB position in a legit manner then I and most others will believe he is done with his man love for Cassel.

RustShack
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM

LMAO

Pioli would have to win a combined 6 games the next two years to get fired.

FAX
02-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Romeo said nice things about his time with RGIII & gave the no brainer answer to 'what about Manning?'... not exactly 'print'em' material.

I would definitely agree that there is quite a bit a smoke rolling out of Arrowhead right now regarding qb's, moreso than years past... but to try & figure out what they're really thinking is far beyond me.

Nothing, good or bad, will surprise me this year.

On the other hand, it could be that we fan people are just super-sensitized to the subject, you know?

I mean, it's like every article with even a vague reference to the quarterback position finds its way to the front page and gets 100 posts within hours. Dr. Evil and Romeo The Round may not have much of anything in mind other than giving Cassel more "tools". We poor, long-suffering spectators may simply be reaching with the hands of perturbation for every flotsam of hope that floats by in the dank sea of despondency.

FAX

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
LMAO

Pioli would have to win a combined 6 games the next two years to get fired.

Doubt it.

Playoff win or GTFO.

Valiant
02-27-2012, 06:26 PM
No. This is just like reading your horoscope or seeing jesus in a piece of toast. Seeing something that is not there.

Past Facts dictate, we ride cassel til egoli is fired or cassel gets injured. We will keep building around him. If we do get lucky and find a franchise, then everyone else will be too old.

But, I would love to eat crow.

edit. dammit..

FAX
02-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Pioli has two years to save his ass. ....

I don't believe that Clark possesses nads of that magnitude or quality.

FAX

DeezNutz
02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
But, I would love to crow.

Is that like doing the dougie?

Epic Fail 007
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Hmmmmmmm really. Well since that interviews on their site I think so Cassel should be packin.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 06:32 PM

FAX

He fired Carl after two years as owner, after a "rebuilding" year.

Five years without a playoff win = failure.

Tribal Warfare
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
That, or it buys him more time, yes?

This

el borracho
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Pioli has two years to save his ass.

Link?

FringeNC
02-27-2012, 06:34 PM
There is no game that needs to be played. Pioli can sign Orton anytime he wants. Or draft a QB. Or sign Manning. In fact, giving public signals seems contrary to Pioli's M.O. It's more likely that the talk is propaganda for the fans' sake.

O.city
02-27-2012, 06:35 PM
the front office is gonna lose alot of fans if they run Cassel out there as the unquestioned starter......season tickets, if I remember hearing correctly, have dipped.

They need to win games. Someone else is playing qb.

Easy 6
02-27-2012, 06:35 PM
On the other hand, it could be that we fan people are just super-sensitized to the subject, you know?

I mean, it's like every article with even a vague reference to the quarterback position finds its way to the front page and gets 100 posts within hours. Dr. Evil and Romeo The Round may not have much of anything in mind other than giving Cassel more "tools". We poor, long-suffering spectators may simply be reaching with the hands of perturbation for every flotsam of hope that floats by in the dank sea of despondency.

FAX

Indeed, we're all just blind men wildly groping for something to hang on to.

We can only hope that Pioli knows full well just how super-sensitized his fan base is to this issue & has a serious plan for addressing it that doesnt involve Matt Cassel.

Epic Fail 007
02-27-2012, 06:36 PM
My feeling is Romeo told Scott straight up we can not win with cassel.

Reaper16
02-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Babb was speculating on Twitter today that the Chiefs have no intention of pursuing Manning or trading up for RGIII; that they are only talking about those things so they can claim a position of "Well, at least we tried" in order to sate the fanbase a bit.

O.city
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Babb was speculating on Twitter today that the Chiefs have no intention of pursuing Manning or trading up for RGIII; that they are only talking about those things so they can claim a position of "Well, at least we tried" in order to sate the fanbase a bit.

That may be true, but just IMO, with all factors involved, that wouldn't be enough.

I really think the fanbase is at a point that it's "prove it" from Scott. Just lowballing a few teams or free agents and saying "well we tried", isn't gonna cut it.

Atleast for me it won't.

If they are doing all this just for that, they run Cassel out there next year and we go .500 or so, heads should roll. Cause that's just not good enough.

You've had 3 or 4 years, you've built it the right way, get a guy to lead the ship.

Epic Fail 007
02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
He fired Carl after two years as owner, after a "rebuilding" year.

Five years without a playoff win = failure.

That was all herm though .Carl never wanted to rebuild like that Herm ruined it all. I mean our core was ok ,just needed some pieces . Then herm stomped on it all.

Epic Fail 007
02-27-2012, 06:48 PM
That may be true, but just IMO, with all factors involved, that wouldn't be enough.

I really think the fanbase is at a point that it's "prove it" from Scott. Just lowballing a few teams or free agents and saying "well we tried", isn't gonna cut it.

Atleast for me it won't.

If they are doing all this just for that, they run Cassel out there next year and we go .500 or so, heads should roll. Cause that's just not good enough.

You've had 3 or 4 years, you've built it the right way, get a guy to lead the ship.
Keep in mind who BAAB works for. The kc star has not liked the chiefs for yrs.Just stirrin shit up

Bugeater
This is the most believable scenario to me.

Count Zarth
Link?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=249091

“I want to win championships,” Hunt says when asked about his moves. “In pro sports, that’s really how we measure it.”

Epic Fail 007
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Atleast for me it won't.

Babb truely is a cock rider hes as bad as whitlock.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 06:55 PM
That was all herm though .Carl never wanted to rebuild like that Herm ruined it all. I mean our core was ok ,just needed some pieces . Then herm stomped on it all.

LMAO

Herm did this franchise the biggest favor ever.

Brock
02-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Our core was ok? You're retarded.

el borracho
02-27-2012, 07:01 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=249091

“I want to win championships,” Hunt says when asked about his moves. “In pro sports, that’s really how we measure it.”

"I'm very optimistic about the team in 2012 and beyond," Hunt says. "But I don't want us to get in a position where it's now or never."

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/its-hunts-chance-to-show-commitment-to-winning/8c7014e9c8e936117e7394a83389be07

But he (Hunt) does know the franchises he'd like the Chiefs to emulate, and mentions the Patriots, Giants, Steelers, Packers and Ravens specifically.

"A common denominator of all those franchises is they have quality football people who are very smart and do a great job when it comes to drafting players and building the football team," Hunt says. "That's why, frankly, (general manager) Scott Pioli is so important to what we're trying to do."

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Yes, but how important is he if it doesn't result in one playoff win in five years.

Just one.

I mean, Carl Fucking Peterson won three playoff games in his first five years. Real talk.

At the very minimum, we must qualify for the playoffs both years. What fucking use is Pioli if we're not consistently in the playoffs.

So this "six wins in two years" shit is setting bar way too low for a potential firing.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
No.They're setting up the draft and everything else to "build" around Casshole as usual.Pioli will ride that trade into the ground. The end.
still doesn't address the "why" about them talking to/about other QB's

in fact, if they are keeping Cassel, talking about other QB's is a bad thing. It creates a possible QB controversy. A controversy that imo Pioli has avoided at all cost so far.

Epic Fail 007
02-27-2012, 07:38 PM

in fact, if they are keeping Cassel, talking about other QB's is a bad thing. It creates a possible QB controversy. A controversy that imo Pioli has avoided at all cost so far.

I feel sticking with cassel as long as he has was just to piss haley off.

T-post Tom
02-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Isn't it obvious? The Chiefs are going to sign Manning to start; trade up for RGIII as QBOTF; and sign Orton as the #2. Cassel will be traded for MULTIPLE high draft picks. The end.

Now go to bed, it's past your bedtime. :p

Raiderhader
02-27-2012, 07:59 PM
You would have to think that, ego or not, Pioli is smart enough to know how to keep his job. Now he can easily say that Cassel showed improvement from '09 to '10 and that '11 was a result of injuries and Haley.

However he has to know that, 2010 not withstanding, Cassel is not good of a QB and isn't going to improve much more beyond '10s performance. He also has to know where the fan base sits on the issue and that if he stays the course sales are going to drop. Medicore football and dropping ticket sales equal no job.

I don't know, maybe is every bit as egotistical as many seem to think he is. Maybe he sticks to his guns on this. But I just have to believe that the man did not advance his career to this point by being that stubborn and dumb. If there isn't a new QB under the helm to start this season I guess I won't be shocked, but I will be a little surprised.

TEX
02-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Here's the facts:

- The Chiefs have never touched the subject of acquiring a new starting Quarterback outside of Matt before this offseason.... last week, even.

- Pioli reiterated that there "will be competition at the quarterback position. (That being said, he also said that Brodie, Thigpen, and Palko were 'competition' in the past).

- Romeo has spoken out twice in the past week about potential game changers like RG3, and Peyton Manning. He has also beat the drum for Kyle Orton and what he did last season.

- A story leaked last week regarding the Chiefs' rumored interest in acquiring Peyton Manning should he be available.

- On the front page of the official Chiefs website, there is an interview with Greg Cosell, who essentially says that the Chiefs can't fully compete with Cassel at the helm. Again, this is on the Chiefs website...

Those facts considered, it appears that the organization might be attempting to untie the knot between Cassel and the starting QB spot. This is a major shift from the past. It brings to light a few questions:

1. Why?
- To attract/retain potential free agents that don't want to play with Cassel? (Bowe, TE's, Oline)

2 Why NOW?

And finally,

BS. No way Pioli admits his mistake.

beach tribe
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM

So you believe that Hunt won't Draft a QB because they haven't in 20+ years, but you don't think he'll keep Pioli around? Makes total sense..

beach tribe
02-27-2012, 08:10 PM

Like with Haley right?

Was that not admitting to making a mistake?

Easy 6
02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Maybe he sticks to his guns on this. But I just have to believe that the man did not advance his career to this point by being that stubborn and dumb.

Thats the only thing i hang my hopes on.

BIGGEST. OFFSEASON. EVER.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
So you believe that Hunt won't Draft a QB because they haven't in 20+ years, but you don't think he'll keep Pioli around? Makes total sense..

Pioli's the one calling the shots.

He'll hang himself.

beach tribe
02-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Pioli's the one calling the shots.

He'll hang himself.

If he doesn't get a Fn QB he will.

tredadda
02-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Thats the only thing i hang my hopes on.

BIGGEST. OFFSEASON. EVER.

Same here. There are two ways to acquire a QB.

1. How the winners do it, through the draft

2. The Chiefs Way.

I also hang my hopes on him choosing option #1.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 08:35 PM
If he doesn't get a Fn QB he will.

In his mind, he has his QB.

beach tribe
02-27-2012, 08:51 PM
I really don't buy it.

RustShack
02-27-2012, 08:52 PM
You really are an idiot if you don't think all signs are pointing to a new QB in the Chiefs future for the first time since Cassel was acquired.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
You really are an idiot if you don't think all signs are pointing to a new QB in the Chiefs future for the first time since Cassel was acquired.

LMAO

A new QB? Maybe. A new starter? Fuck no. And certainly no 1st round QB.

DA_T_84
02-27-2012, 09:06 PM

First off, like someone else said, He showed he is capable of this by firing Haley. Mid-season, no less.

Second, he gets an out if he gets a shiny, new QB for us to salivate over and divert our attention towards. If we get a Manning, or RG3 for instance, 90% of the fan base doesn't give a flying **** about his whiff on Matt Cassel.

It's really his only out.

Otherwise, like others have said, he will hang himself. If he holds on to Cassel, with no real competition, the mediocrity will continue and he will lose his job.

Pioli may be stubborn, and egotistical, but he is also very smart. He has a undying need to be well-liked and cares deeply for how he is viewed in the public eye.

That is why, his best case scenario, is to go all in on a big name QB.

He will be viewed as a hero, buy extra years, and ultimately, those are his two driving factors.

Keeping Matt does nothing for him, and I think he knows this. He is too smart not to.

Okie_Apparition
02-27-2012, 09:10 PM
It's too bad they don't post attendance records. Though they'd be doctored if they did

Orton's first game was the win against the Packers so his two shoud be high. Second being the Raiders

I wonder if attendance fell off from Cassel to Palko or they showed up hoping to see Stanzi

O.city
02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Chiefs will have a new qb next year. Mark it down.

tredadda
02-27-2012, 09:22 PM

A new QB or a new starting QB? Big difference. Replacing Palko is one thing, replacing Cassel is another.

whoman69
02-27-2012, 09:23 PM

A new QB or a new starting QB? Big difference. Replacing Palko is one thing, replacing Cassel is another.

Some rookie who has no chance of being ready within 3 years.

O.city
02-27-2012, 09:32 PM
A new STARTING qb. Mark it down.

Mr. Laz
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
until now it's been 100% Cassel

everything they said was 100% Cassel and every QB move they made was all about no controversy about Cassel being the starter. Hell, we even went through 2 seasons with only 2 QB's on the roster and one of those QB's was Palko!

now we have a head coach walking the line on tampering charges talking about getting another QB and the 'cone of silence' people talking to high profile QB's at the combine.

I don't know what's going to happen but the shift in attitude about the QB position is obvious.

DA_T_84
02-27-2012, 10:05 PM
FYI - Nick Wright, Jack Harry, Kent Babb, Fescoe, Kevin "Gotcaughtcheatingonmywifewithaninterninthecarbythepolice" Keitzman, Adam Teicher... hell, Shitlock even...

I fully expect one of them to take this subject... quite possibly headline and all... and report on it.

By me dinner, chumps.

Chiefshrink
02-27-2012, 10:12 PM

FAX

You have a point. Clark definitely has that Opie Taylor/Richie Cunningham look and demeanor. But remember he had no problem cutting King Carl's balls off:thumb:

J Diddy
02-27-2012, 10:24 PM

The names they are talking about bringing in have a chance to win a competition.

I'm going on record as saying that I don't think Cassel will start next year's opener.

Chiefshrink
02-27-2012, 10:25 PM
Here's the facts:

1. Why?

2 Why NOW?

And finally,

CPer's wet dream thread:D

mikey23545
02-27-2012, 11:05 PM
****ing meow, this board is so chockful of morons it has become almost unreadable...

Yeah, because we all know you can't sign a free agent QB and draft a rookie one as well.

No. This is just like reading your horoscope or seeing jesus in a piece of toast. Seeing something that is not there.

Is it also like not seeing something right in front of your ****ing face?

There is no game that needs to be played. Pioli can sign Orton anytime he wants. Or draft a QB. Or sign Manning. In fact, giving public signals seems contrary to Pioli's M.O. It's more likely that the talk is propaganda for the fans' sake.

Will any of you simpletons ever come to realize a contract requires TWO PARTIES WHO WANT TO SIGN IT?

Yeah, because all NFL GMs are as childish and immature as the posters on their teams fan boards.

Same here. There are two ways to acquire a QB.

1. How the winners do it, through the draft

2. The Chiefs Way. (Sign a free agent)

I also hang my hopes on him choosing option #1.

I guess you forgot #3: BOTH

Try getting one of your own before attempting to read others.

Some rookie who has no chance of being ready within 3 years.

See above.

Count Zarth
02-27-2012, 11:54 PM

I agree. After we finish 2-14 in 2012, Clark fires everyone, we get a new GM and HC next year, and they bring in a rookie QB.

|Zach|
02-28-2012, 12:52 AM
****ing meow, this board is so chockful of morons it has become almost unreadable...

We will miss the fear based paranoid rants.

DBOSHO
02-28-2012, 04:37 AM
In my superstar on madden playing as baldwin, orton was starting and cassel wasnt on the roster.

Im pretty sure its a sign from god. Trust me bros, its happening.

beach tribe
02-28-2012, 05:53 AM
I agree. After we finish 2-14 in 2012, Clark fires everyone, we get a new GM and HC next year, and they bring in a rookie QB.

You just gave yourself away dude.
I was actually buying it for a while.ROFL

spanky 52
02-28-2012, 06:02 AM

I think there's a lot of truth in this. They know the fan's aren't happy and I suspect season ticket sales are lagging or down. Can't think of any other entertainment business where they blow so much smoke like they do in the NFL.

BoneKrusher
02-28-2012, 06:24 AM
I would hope so, but I highly doubt it.

yep, that's pretty much how i see it as well.

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 06:43 AM
I do think it's quite telling that they post an interview on the front page of KCCHiefs.com in which Greg Cosell basically dismisses Cassel as a QB who you can't "sling it around 40 times a game" with and have any success. I mean, that says right there that the Chiefs are willing to admit that Cassell isn't anything more than a game manager and he isn't going to be what the Chiefs need to win in today's NFL, at least if they want to be more than a running team. Interesting interview and frankly surprising that they have it on their website.

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-28-2012, 06:48 AM
You just gave yourself away dude.
I was actually buying it for a while.ROFL

His new McCluster jersey with fake dreads didn't give it away ;)

Okie_Apparition
02-28-2012, 06:49 AM
& when you add in Daboll's introductory press confrence about slinging it down the field. Which can't be to far down on the CHief's website

THey have also interviewed Osweiler & perhaps another QB or two at the Combine
You don't hear about it unless the player mentions it in an interview

Mr_Tomahawk
02-28-2012, 07:02 AM
To date, what is Cassel's W-L record with the Chiefs as a starter and how much of the $62M has been paid thus far?

htismaqe
02-28-2012, 07:11 AM
To date, what is Cassel's W-L record with the Chiefs as a starter and how much of the $62M has been paid thus far?

ALL of the guaranteed money has been paid. He's essentially on a day-to-day contract at this point. They could cut him at any time.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-28-2012, 07:13 AM
ALL of the guaranteed money has been paid. He's essentially on a day-to-day contract at this point. They could cut him at any time.

I know.

I am using this for argument's sake to put things into perspective for a friend and didn't know if anyone had the numbers on hand...

htismaqe
02-28-2012, 07:14 AM

I had to find this post to give me hope. :thumb:

We all know how Matt tends to react under pressure - he's kind of a pussy. If they were REALLY keeping him, this is the last kind of thing they should be doing.

Mark it down, I've officially come to believe the days of Cassel are over.

The Iron Chief
02-28-2012, 07:15 AM

Possibly new in a sneaky kind of way.

Maybe Pioli and crew out of desperation secretly had Cassels hand replaced with bionic parts..if found out it could be the biggest NFL scandal of all time.
Cassel takes the Chiefs to the big game!

The 63 million dollar man!

durtyrute
02-28-2012, 07:49 AM
To win, All of this "Pioli is tied to Matt Cassel" bullshit is just that. Do you really think that if his choices are: stick with Matt and Never EVER win anything big, or dump his ass and have a much better shot at winning it all, that because of ego or whatever dumb thing that he will pick option A?

InChiefsHell
02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
To win, All of this "Pioli is tied to Matt Cassel" bullshit is just that. Do you really think that if his choices are: stick with Matt and Never EVER win anything big, or dump his ass and have a much better shot at winning it all, that because of ego or whatever dumb thing that he will pick option A?

I think the problem may be that Scott truly DOES believe we can win with Cassell. Now, whether that's because of his ego,or incompetence or whatever is up for debate. I can't believe that Scott DOESN'T want to win (just like I can't believe that Clark doesn't want to win) but I don't know if he knows how. At least with this team.

Myself personally, I give him the benefit of the doubt. 5 years. We should be a SB contender (ie playoff game winners) within the next 2 years or he's a failure.

durtyrute
02-28-2012, 08:08 AM
I think the problem may be that Scott truly DOES believe we can win with Cassell. Now, whether that's because of his ego,or incompetence or whatever is up for debate. I can't believe that Scott DOESN'T want to win (just like I can't believe that Clark doesn't want to win) but I don't know if he knows how. At least with this team.

Myself personally, I give him the benefit of the doubt. 5 years. We should be a SB contender (ie playoff game winners) within the next 2 years or he's a failure.

Yea, this offseason and the next one will pretty much tell us which way we are going. I like alot of the moves they've made so far. Now, let's just "fix the QB". 5 years sounds about right to me.

Sofa King
02-28-2012, 08:09 AM
To be completely honest, I've already moved on from Cassel in my head.

I honestly believe Matt will not be the starting QB for the chiefs this year.

Orton 85%
Manning 13%
RGIII < 1%
Stanzi < 1%

durtyrute
02-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Orton 85%
Manning 13%
RGIII < 1%
Stanzi < 1%

After seeing how Orton moved the team in Cassel's absence, the availability of Manning, and the possibility of RG, I don't see how in the world the "timid dork" could be the starter.

Fat Elvis
02-28-2012, 08:33 AM

Orton 85%
Manning 13%
RGIII < 1%
Stanzi < 1%

I think you're in for a BIG disappointment (as am I).

FWIW, I've never wanted a football player to wear the Red and Gold as much as RG3. It ain't happening, but until draft day, I can live in my own little fantasyland.

BoneKrusher
02-28-2012, 08:39 AM
^^kinda like my feelings.
I've never wanted a football player NOT to wear the Red and Gold as much as Mark Castle.
but until Peyton Manning has signed elsewhere, I can live in my own little fantasyland.

FringeNC
02-28-2012, 08:48 AM
The one thing that I don't understand is the talk coming from Pioli about signing Orton. Either sign him or don't. STFU about it, unless it is only talk to appease Crennel. Crennel seems to want no part of Cassel.

I think in Pioli's mind, Cassel's struggles are because of Haley...Cassel will be the starter.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm beginning to think we will move after Payton Manning.

1. The Hunt family has be open to grabbing the veteran QB in the past

2. 31 million in cap space already and they rolled over 20 million more

3. I believe that Pioli detests the idea of trading away draft picks. He believes that the draft is the life blood of a team and it's HIS BABY. He would rather be kicked in the face then trade away a bunch of picks so his next step is Orton or Manning. They have the money for Manning

4. They haven't committed the big money to Carr or Bowe ... why? A few possible reasons: 1.) Bowe/Carr don't want to sign yet for whatever reason 2.) Chiefs just don't think they are worth it and won't overspend 3.)Chiefs are waiting for something. They could be waiting for Carr and Bowe to see their price drop after unrealistic expectations in free agency or they could be waiting to see how much money they need for Manning before signing Bowe/Carr. Signing Manning might also lead to players signing cheaper with KC.

5. cone of silence is gone ... a few years ago how shocked would everyone of been to hear anything out of Arrowhead. Now you hear the HC talk about Manning specifically.

6. Pioli and Crennel are both very familiar with Manning by playing against him so often in New England. Crennel did pretty good against him but he still has to have a pretty good feeling about how effective Manning can be.

7. Goes along with #3 ... signing Manning would allow Pioli to continue with his plan of sticking big picture and drafting a team by using front-loaded money. They can improve the team short term without screwing anything up long term.

8. lack of viable options ... Luck/RGIII will be extremely difficult. Orton and Henne might be upgrades but aren't that dramatic. If healthy, Manning brings instance viability to the offensive side of the ball for a defensive head coach.

So i think the Chiefs go after Manning ... if they can't get Manning they sign Orton.

:shrug:

Mr. Laz
02-28-2012, 08:52 AM
The one thing that I don't understand is the talk coming from Pioli about signing Orton. Either sign him or don't. STFU about it, unless it is only talk to appease Crennel. Crennel seems to want no part of Cassel.

I think in Pioli's mind, Cassel's struggles are because of Haley...Cassel will be the starter.
because they don't want to sign Orton until they have looked a Manning.

Haley WAS part of the problem on offense. The offense was never on the same page.

FringeNC
02-28-2012, 08:57 AM

3. I believe that Pioli detests the idea of trading away draft picks. He believes that the draft is the life blood of a team and it's HIS BABY. He would rather be kicked in the face then trade away a bunch of picks so his next step is Orton or Manning. They have the money for Manning

4. They haven't committed the big money to Carr or Bowe ... why? A few possible reasons: 1.) Bowe/Carr don't want to sign yet for whatever reason 2.) Chiefs just don't think they are worth it and won't overspend 3.)Chiefs are waiting for something. They could be waiting for Carr and Bowe to see their price drop after unrealistic expectations in free agency or they could be waiting to see how much money they need for Manning before signing Bowe/Carr. Signing Manning might also lead to players signing cheaper with KC.

5. cone of silence is gone ... a few years ago how shocked would everyone of been to hear anything out of Arrowhead. Now you hear the HC talk about Manning specifically.

6. Pioli and Crennel are both very familiar with Manning by playing against him so often in New England. Crennel did pretty good against him but he still has to have a pretty good feeling about how effective Manning can be.

7. Goes along with #3 ... signing Manning would allow Pioli to continue with his plan of sticking big picture and drafting a team by using front-loaded money. They can improve the team short term without screwing anything up long term.

8. lack of viable options ... Luck/RGIII will be extremely difficult. Orton and Henne might be upgrades but aren't that dramatic. If healthy, Manning brings instance viability to the offensive side of the ball for a defensive head coach.

So i think the Chiefs go after Manning ... if they can't get Manning they sign Orton.

Only way we get Manning is on explicit "do it or hit the road" orders to Pioli. Pioli desperately wants to win a championship, but HE wants credit for it, not Belichick or Brady...just him. Obviously, it would be Manning and not Pioli getting the credit if we won with Manning. No upside there for Pioli.

whoman69
02-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Matt Cassel will be the starter. The "competition" will be a rookie who can't compete for 2 to 3 years or a scrub like Chad Henne.

htismaqe
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM

Every time you post, I get a little more hope.

Either you're going to turn me back into a homer or I'm gonna be super pissed at you when Cassel is the starter next year. ROFL

htismaqe
02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
because they don't want to sign Orton until they have looked a Manning.

Haley WAS part of the problem on offense. The offense was never on the same page.

To be fair to Haley (if he deserves such a thing) I think a lot of it was him (and others) constantly tweaking things to figure out what the hell was wrong with Cassel.

Haley or Cassel, chicken or egg? In the end, the combination of the two of them was toxic. One of them is now gone, when can we rid ourselves of the other?

BoneKrusher
02-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Matt Cassel will be the starter. The "competition" will be a rookie who can't compete for 2 to 3 years or a scrub like Chad Henne.

you're probably right.
i hope they will resign Orton if Manning dont pan out.

Henne will be nothing more than camp fodder.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2012, 09:09 AM
To be fair to Haley (if he deserves such a thing) I think a lot of it was him (and others) constantly tweaking things to figure out what the hell was wrong with Cassel.

Haley or Cassel, chicken or egg? In the end, the combination of the two of them was toxic. One of them is now gone, when can we rid ourselves of the other?
doesn't really matter

Haley couldn't make up for Cassel
Cassel couldn't make up for Haley

neither were good enough, both need to be gone.

Coogs

I wonder if item 4.1 has something to do with what is playing out. Last year, Fitzgerald pretty much told Arizona that they needed to upgrade the QB position if they wanted him to stay a Cardinal. And while it hasn't been publicly said, I wonder if Bowe may not be playing the same card with the Chiefs? I hope so.

Mr. Laz
or I'm gonna be super pissed at you when Cassel is the starter next year. ROFL
:sulk:

:D

htismaqe
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
doesn't really matter

Haley couldn't make up for Cassel
Cassel couldn't make up for Haley

neither were good enough, both need to be gone.

Yep.

HemiEd
02-28-2012, 10:53 AM
until now it's been 100% Cassel

everything they said was 100% Cassel and every QB move they made was all about no controversy about Cassel being the starter. Hell, we even went through 2 seasons with only 2 QB's on the roster and one of those QB's was Palko!

now we have a head coach walking the line on tampering charges talking about getting another QB and the 'cone of silence' people talking to high profile QB's at the combine.

I don't know what's going to happen but the shift in attitude about the QB position is obvious.
Yeah, when you miss your own head with your hat on National TV, it is hard to hide.

whoman69
02-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Every time you post, I get a little more hope.

Either you're going to turn me back into a homer or I'm gonna be super pissed at you when Cassel is the starter next year. ROFL

I'll be pissed at Pioli. If Matt Cassel is the starter this year, Pioli needs to be fired.

talastan
02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
I wonder if item 4.1 has something to do with what is playing out. Last year, Fitzgerald pretty much told Arizona that they needed to upgrade the QB position if they wanted him to stay a Cardinal. And while it hasn't been publicly said, I wonder if Bowe may not be playing the same card with the Chiefs? I hope so.

I would love it if this were true; but knowing Pioli he'd probably just franchise Bowe and end the conversation at that point.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I would love it if this were true; but knowing Pioli he'd probably just franchise Bowe and end the conversation at that point.
so how many times have you been to dinner with Pioli? Invited out with the fam?

surely you know him well enough to go out for a beer together .... ask him for us.

talastan
02-28-2012, 11:06 AM
so how many times have you been to dinner with Pioli? Invited out with the fam?

surely you know him well enough to go out for a beer together .... ask him for us.

I'm basing my observation on his past actions. How many times have you seen the Patriots cave in to the demands of a Player? How many times did Parcells/Belicheat/Haley give in to a player? These guys look at the players as employees. If Bowe was actually threatening to not sign a contract and hold out based on Cassel being the starter then from what I've seen in the past, Pioli would more than likely just franchise him at that point. However if I'm out and about and I see Scott sitting at the bar I'll be sure to buy him a drink and push Manning as an option. ;)

Epic Fail 007
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM

So you want to start anther 5 yr plan? Come on now.

Coogs
02-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Didn't Jackson from San Diego get franchised last season? Just because they get tagged doesn't mean everything is going to work out. Bowe could still ask to be traded/or not play under that scenario.

And compensation for a trade can be less than 1st rounders IIRC.

Discuss Thrower
02-28-2012, 11:30 AM
So you want to start anther 5 yr plan? Come on now.

I don't want to pay income taxes, but that doesn't change the fact that I will inevitably have to do so.

Mr. Laz
02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm basing my observation on his past actions. How many times have you seen the Patriots cave in to the demands of a Player? How many times did Parcells/Belicheat/Haley give in to a player? These guys look at the players as employees. If Bowe was actually threatening to not sign a contract and hold out based on Cassel being the starter then from what I've seen in the past, Pioli would more than likely just franchise him at that point. However if I'm out and about and I see Scott sitting at the bar I'll be sure to buy him a drink and push Manning as an option. ;):thumb:

my smartass point was that everyone around here seems to have decided that they have a book on Pioli when they really don't.

1. nobody here really knows Pioli personally

2. In new england he drafted Brady his 1st year so we don't know what he would of done with QB's after that. Belichek/Pioli did cut bait with Bledsoe and go with a rookie(Brady) pretty quickly so as a pair they were aggressive. No reason for Pioli to draft a QB high after getting Brady.

3. As the Jet's pro personnel guy, Pioli was part of the process where they traded around and got four 1st round draft picks in the same draft and picked Shaun Ellis,John Abraham,Chad Pennington,Anthony Becht and Laveranues Coles with their top 5 picks. So he has drafted a QB in the 1st and he has been productive and aggressive.

4. For the Ravens in 1996(his only year there) he was part of the draft that picked. Jonathan Ogden,Ray Lewis and Jermaine Lewis .

5. in Pioli's 3rd year here he draft Stanzi in the 5th round. So he's not ignoring it.

all these people running around saying Pioli won't do this or that ... can't do this or hasn't done/proven shit are blowing smoke and spouting bullshit.

overreaction FTL

Pasta Giant Meatball
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
^^kinda like my feelings.
I've never wanted a football player NOT to wear the Red and Gold as much as Mark Castle.
but until Peyton Manning has signed elsewhere, I can live in my own little fantasyland.

Raised on Riots?