PDA

View Full Version : Sac's 2012 Post Combine Mock Draft

Saccopoo
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
2012 Post Combine Mock Draft

1. Luke Kuechly, ILB; Boston College: 63, 242 lbs.
- Ive had Kuechly mocked here before because it represents the best player available situation for the Chiefs. Kuechly is one of, if not the, most instinctive linebacker in recent memory and averaged nearly 16 tackles a game (15.9) for Boston College this past season. During the Combine, he showed top flight athleticism and speed and was a top performer in nearly every single drill. His combine numbers were better than Pat Willis. Hes an elite level guy for the MLB position.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/1470111001052_Wake_Forest_at_Boston_College.jpg

2. Kelechi Osemele, OT; Iowa State: 66, 333 lbs.
- Osemele measured in at the Combine at a hair under 66, tipped the scales at 333 lbs. and had the longest arms of any offensive tackle in Indianapolis. He ran fluidly in the drills for a guy his size and also showed power in benching 32 reps. There is power in both the top and bottom halves of his body and really enjoys drive blocking opponents into the ground. Hes also a three time academic Honor Roll student as well as a 2011 First Team All-Big 12 player.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/702/450/kele_display_image.jpg?1324479987

3. Robert Turbin, RB; Utah State: 5'10", 222 lbs.
- Turbin showed up at the Combine looking like a Thomas Jones clone (maybe more buff) with huge arms, a thick neck and a barrel of a chest. He also showed exceptional speed for a 5 10, 222 lbs., running a 4.44 in one of his 40s. He was also a top performer in the majority of the drills. To back that up, he also averaged 6.1 ypc, 126 ypg, with 19 touchdowns on the ground. Hes shown himself to be a very good receiver as well, averaging 10.1 ypc and four TD's in 2011. They guy is a top flight all-purpose back.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/news.hjnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/78/878a674c-cddf-11e0-8e55-001cc4c002e0/4e543780448b0.preview-300.jpg

4. Ryan Lindley, QB; San Diego State: 64, 229 lbs.
- Lindley has two things that the NFL loves: prototype size and an absolute cannon for an arm. Hes also undervalued in terms of athleticism. He put up decent combine numbers, but its the arm which is going to get him drafted around the late third/early fourth. He struggled with inconsistency in his passing in college due to his reliance on his arm, but if Zorn is as good as hes reputed to be with QBs, Lindley could turn into something special.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/107/767/90357762_display_image.jpg?1311049382

5. David Molk, C; Michigan: 61, 298 lbs.
- The reigning Rimington Award winner (top college center) and First Team All-Big 10 (beating out Wisconsins Pete Konz) possesses excellent strength and leverage and put up an incredible 41 reps on the bench at the Combine.

http://triblocal.com/lemont/files/cache/2011/12/molk1.jpg/460_345_resize.jpg

6. Drake Dunsmore, TE; Northwestern: 62, 241 lbs.
- Dunsmore had a terrific combine, being a top performer in all the agility and speed drills. He averaged 11.6 ypc for the Wildcats and had six TDs in 2011. A versatile end with good hands and an underrated blocker. First team All-Big 10.

http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-sports-guru/files/2011/09/drake_dunsmore1.jpg

7. Jeron McMillian, S; Maine: 511, 203 lbs.
- Think of Jovan Belcher as a safety, regardless of the fact that both went to Maine. McMillan is a hard-nosed, instinctive football player that is fundamentally sound. Is very good blitzing the quarterback and is a fierce run stuffer. Ran a solid 4.56 40 at the combine along with a very good 36.5 vertical.

http://bdnpull.bangorpublishing.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/102111_jerronmcmillian.jpg

Direckshun
02-28-2012, 12:57 PM
I fear we already have the Kuechly type in DJ, so I really don't like that pick. (Not to mention, I sorely hope this was a pick we traded down for...) That first pick is looking more and more like a tackle or DeCastro every day.

The Osmele pick you gotta love in the second round. His performance at the Combine was fantastic. He's not a great fit for the ZBS, but you don't really need your RT to be on board with pulling into space and super athleticism in our ZBS. We started Barry Richardson for two years, for crying out loud.

Love the Turbin pick. Love the Molk pick. The Dunsmore pick is fair value, and he certainly seems like a Pioli player. McMilian I have no opinion on.

Not digging the Lindley pick. He totally shits his pants in the face of pressure. If that's a problem at small schools, it's going to be an awful problem in the NFL.

Detoxing
02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I like picks 1-3, as well as pick 5. And while i do believe Lindley has potential, I just think 4 is probably going to be too high for him. I'd take Lindley in the 5th-7th.

the Talking Can
02-28-2012, 02:13 PM
i can dig that draft...don't see the point in drafting a 4th round QB, I'd probably want a safety there...

Saccopoo
02-28-2012, 02:31 PM
i can dig that draft...don't see the point in drafting a 4th round QB, I'd probably want a safety there...

I, like everyone else, would love Luck or Griffin. However, it isn't going to happen. But we all know that the Chiefs do need a quarterback/quarterback depth.

Lindley has got the tools to work with, maybe more so than any guy in this draft in terms of arm strength. You never know when one of those guys pans out, and taking a guy like that in the 4 to 6 range isn't a bad pick or a reach.

Until they get a shot at a Luck/Griffin type of player (and those guys don't show up very often anyway), they have to roll the dice on someone until it pans out.

Personally, I have hopes for Stanzi, but Lindley has that arm, and that's definitely something that you can't teach. Keep bringing them in until something good happens.

And McMillian from Maine is a stud. It's Maine and as such he isn't getting the press, but he would be a fantastic backup/special teamer right from the start. I think he's as good as any other safety in this class, and Pioli isn't worried about the Black Bears being a smaller school as he picked out Belcher from there as a free agent, and that has paid off for the team.

bsp4444
02-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Another problem with drafing Lindley is what do you do with Stanzi? You don't keep two QB's that young on the roster, do you?

jd1020
02-28-2012, 02:42 PM
Lindley couldn't even hit the trash can with a gum wrapper. No way in hell the Chiefs draft him.

jd1020
02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
And McMillian from Maine is a stud. It's Maine and as such he isn't getting the press, but he would be a fantastic backup/special teamer right from the start. I think he's as good as any other safety in this class, and Pioli isn't worried about the Black Bears being a smaller school as he picked out Belcher from there as a free agent, and that has paid off for the team.

"Studs" dont find themselves on the outside looking in.

Chocolate Hog
02-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Lindley sucks dick

SNR
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Lindley sucks dick
This

Direckshun
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM

Except that McMillian is from Delaware.

Maine has all those players in that picture you posted attempting to tackle him...

Direckshun
02-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Just for shits and giggles, if I had to draft depending on Wes Bunting's big board (no reaching above the pick).

11. OT Cordy Glenn, Georgia (his 11th rated prospect)
44. NT Dontari Poe, Memphis (45th)
75. OLB Vinny Curry, Marshall (76th)
107. QB Nick Foles, Washington (109th)
138. OG Senio Kelemete, Washington (139th)
161. SS Winston Guy, Jr., Kentucky (166th)
192. C Phillip Blake, Baylor (196th)

QB: Cassel, Stanzi, Foles
RB: Charles, McCluster
FB: Bannon

WR: Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Copper, McCluster
TE: Moeaki, Maneri

LT: Albert, Mims
LG: Lilja, Kelemete
C: Hudson, Blake
RG: Asamoah, Kelemete
RT: Glenn, Mims

DE: Dorsey, Bailey
NT: Poe, Powe
DE: Jackson, Bair

OLB: Hali, Sheffield
ILB: Belcher, Siler
ILB: Johnson, Williams
OLB: Houston, Curry

CB: Flowers, Routt, Arenas, Brown, Daniels
S: Berry, Lewis, Guy, McGraw

Saccopoo
02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Except that McMillian is from Delaware.

Maine has all those players in that picture you posted attempting to tackle him...

No, he's from Maine. Jersey #1. He's the guy going horizontal for the tackle.

Direckshun
02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
No, he's from Maine. Jersey #1. He's the guy going horizontal for the tackle.

Got it.

the Talking Can
02-28-2012, 05:12 PM
I, like everyone else, would love Luck or Griffin. However, it isn't going to happen. But we all know that the Chiefs do need a quarterback/quarterback depth.

Lindley has got the tools to work with, maybe more so than any guy in this draft in terms of arm strength. You never know when one of those guys pans out, and taking a guy like that in the 4 to 6 range isn't a bad pick or a reach.

Until they get a shot at a Luck/Griffin type of player (and those guys don't show up very often anyway), they have to roll the dice on someone until it pans out.

Personally, I have hopes for Stanzi, but Lindley has that arm, and that's definitely something that you can't teach. Keep bringing them in until something good happens.

I'll take your word for it on McMillian

As for the QB, i just wonder if he's any better a prospect than Stanzi? I also think Stanzi has some promise down the road, so we have our late round flyer. Unless it is someone like Mallet falling to the second, I consider rounds 2-4 a waste for QBs.

But, having said that, I'm never going to complain about this franchise drafting a QB...I'll take whatever crumbs they'll give.

jd1020
02-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Just for shits and giggles, if I had to draft depending on Wes Bunting's big board (no reaching above the pick).

11. OT Cordy Glenn, Georgia (his 11th rated prospect)
44. NT Dontari Poe, Memphis (45th)
75. WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina (95th)
107. RB Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati (112th)
138. OG Senio Kelemete, Washington (139th)
161. QB Kirk Cousins, Michigan State (162nd)
192. TE Michael Egnew, Missouri (192nd)
(NE pick) 223. ILB Tank Carder, Texas Christian (226th)

Fixed it for ya.

Of course, that shit isn't going to happen because I expect all 5 of those bolded players to go well before those picks.

Pretty offensive heavy. I'd like to change that 5th rounder but there isn't shit on his board to really swap it with. I'd like to put a safety there but he's is really high on safeties and has a lot of them going earlier than what most people have.

EDIT: He has Sean Cattouse going undrafted so that would be someone I'd sign.

Chiefnj2
02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
I look at your mock and think I'd be fine giving the entire draft up for RGIII.

WhitiE
02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
I like ordering from menus with pictures....

Saccopoo
02-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I'll take your word for it on McMillian

As for the QB, i just wonder if he's any better a prospect than Stanzi? I also think Stanzi has some promise down the road, so we have our late round flyer. Unless it is someone like Mallet falling to the second, I consider rounds 2-4 a waste for QBs.

But, having said that, I'm never going to complain about this franchise drafting a QB...I'll take whatever crumbs they'll give.

He's probably a worse prospect than Stanzi, other than the arm. Stanzi won a lot and did get better from year to year in his career. By his senior year, he was pretty solid as a QB and he did win his bowl games.

I'd say beyond the first two, the only other guy who is probably better than Stanzi in this draft is Weeden.

Personally, if they are going to pick a guy at QB in the later rounds, I'd really like it to be Kellen Moore, just for the sole reason that the guy lives and breathes football and is driven to win, which he did better than anyone whose ever played the position in college. Sure, he's 6' and slow, but he throws a beautiful pass and really sees the field.

That being said, Lindley does have a laser rocket arm.

Though, like I mentioned earlier, I'd like to see the Chiefs keep bringing them in until someone sticks.

aturnis
02-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Another problem with drafing Lindley is what do you do with Stanzi? You don't keep two QB's that young on the roster, do you?

I do. What, do you want an old guy who is not the future of this team to waste space alongside Cassel? Fuck that, the future is now. This team is good enough to handle inconsistent play from a young QB. It's terrible play from a 30yr. old QB we have no time for.

aturnis
02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
The only picks I don't like are Osemele and Lindley.

Lindley for reasons stated. Osemele b/c his tendency to grab and his senior bowl showing.

I actually really like Kuechly. Would prefer to trade down for him though. Actually, not matter who we pick, I'd rather we traded down to do it. It's that type of draft for us. A lot like '09. The only exception would be if we traded up for RG3...

SuperChief
02-29-2012, 04:07 PM
I like this mock, with the exception of the QB (although I'm sure we'll take a QB around there, for all intents and purposes). This is, provided, we solve our NT situation in FA.

AustinChief
02-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Molk in the 5th round? The 2nd (possibly 1st) best center in the draft is going in the 5th round? even if you REALLY don't like him, you can't possibly think he falls out of the top 3 as far as centers this year.

No way he makes it past the 4th round... unless miraculously no one needs centers this year.

jd1020
02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Molk in the 5th round? The 2nd (possibly 1st) best center in the draft is going in the 5th round? even if you REALLY don't like him, you can't possibly think he falls out of the top 3 as far as centers this year.

No way he makes it past the 4th round... unless miraculously no one needs centers this year.

Michigan fan? Highest I've seen Molk ranked among centers is 3rd behind Konz, and Jones. Most have Brewster ahead of him and some have Blake ahead of him. 5th round might be a bit of a stretch but its not as ridiculous as you are trying to make it sound.

There were 6 centers drafted in '11 (including Hudson). 3 before the 3rd and then 3 in the 6th.

AustinChief
02-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Michigan fan? Highest I've seen Molk ranked among centers is 3rd behind Konz, and Jones. Most have Brewster ahead of him and some have Blake ahead of him. 5th round might be a bit of a stretch but its not as ridiculous as you are trying to make it sound.

There were 6 centers drafted in '11 (including Hudson). 3 before the 3rd and then 3 in the 6th.

Yep I am a U-M fan.. but the guy won the Remington award for BEST center in the nation last year. He is the STRONGEST o-lineman in the draft this year and he has fantastic technique... The rankings that have him below #2 are idiotic.. they are ALL based on an assumption that he is a "finesse" guy and doesn't have the strength required because of his size. He just proved that wrong at the combine, so expect the rankings to start to reflect that. Go back and read all the analysis and notice that they all focus on him not being strong enough... which was entirely based on looking at his frame and not on his tape.

I could see him slipping to the 4th, maybe... and he'd be a steal there.

(putting Brewster above Molk is an absolute joke)

jd1020
02-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Yep I am a U-M fan.. but the guy won the Remington award for BEST center in the nation last year. He is the STRONGEST o-lineman in the draft this year and he has fantastic technique... The rankings that have him below #2 are idiotic.. they are ALL based on an assumption that he is a "finesse" guy and doesn't have the strength required because of his size. He just proved that wrong at the combine, so expect the rankings to start to reflect that. Go back and read all the analysis and notice that they all focus on him not being strong enough... which was entirely based on looking at his frame and not on his tape.

I could see him slipping to the 4th, maybe... and he'd be a steal there.

(putting Brewster above Molk is an absolute joke)

Actually the negative reports on him are more to do with his lower body strength...

"Weaknesses: Undersized with limited growth potential ? lacks elite measureables for the next level. Doesn?t have a stout anchor and can be driven backwards off the snap ? often overwhelmed at the point of attack because of his limited base strength. Needs to sustain blocks longer and can be tossed aside by defenders. Lacks the brute strength to redirect rushers and will never be a mauler in the run game ? needs to do a better job blocking moving targets and squaring up in space. Won?t fit in every NFL offense and won?t be on some team?s draft boards. Has suffered several injuries over his career, including missing most of his sophomore season with foot and knee injuries ? didn?t start in the 2012 Sugar Bowl because of a foot injury in pregame warm ups."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now, lacks the power to win as an in-line guy. Keeps his base down, but doesn't have the lower body power to create a push inside. However, does do a nice job chipping at the line, re-directing and reaching secondary targets. Displays great awareness in the run game as well and routinely carries out assignments.

His tightness in the hips shows up more so in pass protection where he has the initial first step and foot quickness to reach defenders off his frame, but gets upright, isn't real long armed and struggles to gain leverage and anchor on contact. Can routinely be overwhelmed vs. the bull rush inside and needs to play in tandem. Possesses some natural shuffle and slide ability in space, extends his arms well off the snap, keeps his base under him and can mirror initially. Will struggle with leverage because of arm length and is inconsistent with hand placement hurting his ability to stick to his man. I can't see him holding up routinely inside one-one-one in the pass game vs. NFL caliber defensive tackles."

jd1020
02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Updated yesterday, Molk #6: http://walterfootball.com/draft2012C.php

Updated today, Molk #6: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2012/C

AustinChief
02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Actually the negative reports on him are more to do with his lower body strength...

"Weaknesses: Undersized with limited growth potential ? lacks elite measureables for the next level. Doesn?t have a stout anchor and can be driven backwards off the snap ? often overwhelmed at the point of attack because of his limited base strength. Needs to sustain blocks longer and can be tossed aside by defenders. Lacks the brute strength to redirect rushers and will never be a mauler in the run game ? needs to do a better job blocking moving targets and squaring up in space. Won?t fit in every NFL offense and won?t be on some team?s draft boards. Has suffered several injuries over his career, including missing most of his sophomore season with foot and knee injuries ? didn?t start in the 2012 Sugar Bowl because of a foot injury in pregame warm ups."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now, lacks the power to win as an in-line guy. Keeps his base down, but doesn't have the lower body power to create a push inside. However, does do a nice job chipping at the line, re-directing and reaching secondary targets. Displays great awareness in the run game as well and routinely carries out assignments.

His tightness in the hips shows up more so in pass protection where he has the initial first step and foot quickness to reach defenders off his frame, but gets upright, isn't real long armed and struggles to gain leverage and anchor on contact. Can routinely be overwhelmed vs. the bull rush inside and needs to play in tandem. Possesses some natural shuffle and slide ability in space, extends his arms well off the snap, keeps his base under him and can mirror initially. Will struggle with leverage because of arm length and is inconsistent with hand placement hurting his ability to stick to his man. I can't see him holding up routinely inside one-one-one in the pass game vs. NFL caliber defensive tackles."

The only VALID statements in there had to do with injuries.. otherwise there is no CHANCE that either of those people watched enough tape to have a clue what they are talking about. His strength (both upper and lower) has never been an issue except when playing injured. When healthy the guy absolutely brutalized people. I love the idiot statement about him being undersized and limited in his growth potential... then he goes out and puts back on a ton of muscle after surgery. I'm telling you, these guys are pulling this shit out of their asses. Wait until it gets closer to the draft and people have had time to rewrite and rethink. If he falls past the 3rd round, some team is getting a steal.

AustinChief
02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Updated yesterday, Molk #6: http://walterfootball.com/draft2012C.php

Updated today, Molk #6: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2012/C

Ok, perfect example... one of those lists the following statement Molk is very undersized, and he could be lighter than his listed measurements.

WTF? How is this possible.. the combine is OVER.. we have REAL measurements to go by... this is obviously a cut/paste of a past review, or the guy was too lazy to look up his combine results??? They actual list the correct numbers that he was measured at... so how is he not actually those numbers? He is 6'1 298lbs... plenty big enough. Which as I mentioned is 20 lbs heavier then he was after having surgery... he gained all of that as muscle and can actually gain a little more if needed.

BryanBusby
03-01-2012, 12:51 AM

No shit.

Kuechly is going to be a fine player, for the Eagles. He doesn't have the size, nor do I think he has the mentality to be a thumper that Romeo Crennel wants. He'd fill the role that Derrick Johnson currently fills, very well.

Kelechi Osemele is going to be a really good guard. I don't see the tackle potential.

Robert Turbin in the 3rd? No, this is at least a good full round too early. He's had injury problems and can't pass block. 5th round would be more ideal.

Ryan Lindley lacks consistency and accuracy. Sweet lets burn another roster spot and draft pick for another project QB.

David Molk? Meh. He'd have to have the ability to play at all positions within the interior line.

Drake Dunsmore will likely go higher than the 6th.

7. Jeron McMillian, S; Maine: 511, 203 lbs. I am cool with this.

Saccopoo
03-01-2012, 03:43 AM
]No shit.

Kuechly is going to be a fine player, for the Eagles. He doesn't have the size, nor do I think he has the mentality to be a thumper that Romeo Crennel wants. He'd fill the role that Derrick Johnson currently fills, very well.

Johnson is doing just fine as what he was supposed to be out of college. Five years out of college - finally.

Kuechely is going to be "the guy" where ever he is drafted. His college numbers and combine numbers are way beyond anyone at his position historically. Downgrade him because he's white. Everyone seems to do it, even after the Combine. The guy averaged 16 tackles a game, posted better combine stats than Pat Willis, but yet he's still "just a guy" around here.

That shows how ****ing stupid you people are.

The guy is a legit 6'3", 245 lbs.

Kelechi Osemele is going to be a really good guard. I don't see the tackle potential.

Because he was first team All-Big 12 at Left Tackle...that means he sucks.

Robert Turbin in the 3rd? No, this is at least a good full round too early. He's had injury problems and can't pass block. 5th round would be more ideal.

I would love Turbin in the fifth. However, even the NFL has Turbin as a borderline second/third rounder. The guy has thrived in a pass heavy scheme, and can block - and block effectively. Add to that he can catch a pass, most passes, from the three read.

The guy is a stud.

Ryan Lindley lacks consistency and accuracy. Sweet lets burn another roster spot and draft pick for another project QB.

Yes he does. He also has an absolute cannon for an arm.

Are you okay going into camp with two quarterbacks?: Cassel and Stanzi? (And I like Stanzi - a lot.)

David Molk? Meh. He'd have to have the ability to play at all positions within the interior line.

Why? You are drafting him as a center. A position he excelled at during his college career. (Senior year netted him the Rimington Award and First Team All-Conference.)

Drake Dunsmore will likely go higher than the 6th.

He might. However, his lack of height and weight might push him down in the draft. Considering that you had All-Americans go in the fourth in 2010, I don't think that a sixth is a big reach.

7. Jeron McMillian, S; Maine: 511, 203 lbs. I am cool with this.

I'm glad. The guy can play. A steal in the seventh - if he is still there.

BryanBusby
03-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Johnson is doing just fine as what he was supposed to be out of college. Five years out of college - finally.

Kuechely is going to be "the guy" where ever he is drafted. His college numbers and combine numbers are way beyond anyone at his position historically. Downgrade him because he's white. Everyone seems to do it, even after the Combine. The guy averaged 16 tackles a game, posted better combine stats than Pat Willis, but yet he's still "just a guy" around here.

That shows how ****ing stupid you people are.

The guy is a legit 6'3", 245 lbs.
So now that Johnson is finally playing to his potential, we should ignore needs and draft his replacement for no reason. Downgrade Kuechely because he's white? What in the fuck are you even talking about?

I'm not sure how referring that Kuechely is going to be a good player in a more traditional MLB role means I don't want him because he's white. If I'm looking for a thumper, I want someone that plays in more of a "I'm gonna rip off your fucking head" mentality. Burfict would of filled the role great, but he's just bat shit insane.

Because he was first team All-Big 12 at Left Tackle...that means he sucks.
ITT: The Big 12 set the bar very high for O-Line play and good college tackle definitely equals sure fire high caliber OT in the NFL.

I would love Turbin in the fifth. However, even the NFL has Turbin as a borderline second/third rounder. The guy has thrived in a pass heavy scheme, and can block - and block effectively. Add to that he can catch a pass, most passes, from the three read.

The guy is a stud.
He thrived from completely amazing blocking from his offensive line (seriously, the holes they made were amazing) and I'm not even sure that he was the best back on that roster. I'd still be cool with the Chiefs drafting him, but he's one of those prospects that will be tough to project where he goes.

I'd guess it will depend on when teams really start the rush on drafting RBs.

Yes he does. He also has an absolute cannon for an arm.

Are you okay going into camp with two quarterbacks?: Cassel and Stanzi? (And I like Stanzi - a lot.)
I'd like to see what Stanzi has before going in that early to tab another project. They definitely need to have 3 QB's, but the other QB needs to be someone that can push Cassel or ideally take over for him when he sucks it up.

Why? You are drafting him as a center. A position he excelled at during his college career. (Senior year netted him the Rimington Award and First Team All-Conference.)
The Chiefs (and more teams by the year) carry less and less O-Line depth, so versatility will be very important when you're fleshing out the depth.

He might. However, his lack of height and weight might push him down in the draft. Considering that you had All-Americans go in the fourth in 2010, I don't think that a sixth is a big reach.
This Tight End class is horrible overall.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-03-2012, 11:03 AM

Exactly what I thought ROFL

What a huge helping of meh.

veist
03-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I like this better than your earlier mock sacc but I don't really like the fit of Kuelchy with the Chiefs. If they're going to draft a "safe" guy in the first I'd like to see someone that is going to be higher impact than a best case incremental upgrade on DJ. Just seems like really sub-optimal resource management to address a position of relative strength with our 1st.

Bewbies
03-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Perfect.

Saccopoo
03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
I like this better than your earlier mock sacc but I don't really like the fit of Kuelchy with the Chiefs. If they're going to draft a "safe" guy in the first I'd like to see someone that is going to be higher impact than a best case incremental upgrade on DJ. Just seems like really sub-optimal resource management to address a position of relative strength with our 1st.

Your other options are left tackles, such as Martin or Reiff (one of which I think will fall to the #11 spot, most likely Martin), defensive tackles Poe or Brockers (who I like a lot and looks to have ungodly potential, but is sushi raw), or a guard or center in DeCastro or Konz. There is an outside chance of a corner like Kirkpatrick or Jenkins, but they just signed Routt and drafted Brown in the third last year (and I really liked what I saw out of Brown when he got his chances last year - really showed up on special teams a lot).

At least to me, Kuechly makes the most sense. The Chiefs don't have any depth at the ILB positions and in a perfect world, a guy like Jovan Belcher should be/would be your #3 guy there due to his lack of speed. And I absolutely love Belcher. One of my favorites on the team due to his work ethic and instincts. But with Kuechly, you get those same instincts, work ethic and a major increase in athleticism.

Add to that that DJ will be 30 this next season and has only been able to put together one high level season, which was this past season.

The next best option would be Jon Martin. Albert is in the last year of his contract, there is absolutely no depth at the tackle position and Richardson is the worst starting tackle in the league. You draft a guy like Martin, put him on the right side for next season, see what happens with Albert in his contract year and potentially have Martin as your LT of the future if Albert decides he wants a big contract. (Artunis nailed it in one of his recent posts about Albert and a potential contract/future.)

They are going to have to draft two tackles because of this situation anyway. They might as well have a guy who has upper echelon left tackle potential in Martin versus hope that someone pans out. I think that they wanted to do this last year with Nate Solder, but he went to New England a few spots ahead of the Chiefs.

In hindsight, they should have picked Derrek Sherrod last year instead of Baldwin.

Nightfyre
03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Your other options are left tackles, such as Martin or Reiff (one of which I think will fall to the #11 spot, most likely Martin), defensive tackles Poe or Brockers (who I like a lot and looks to have ungodly potential, but is sushi raw), or a guard or center in DeCastro or Konz. There is an outside chance of a corner like Kirkpatrick or Jenkins, but they just signed Routt and drafted Brown in the third last year (and I really liked what I saw out of Brown when he got his chances last year - really showed up on special teams a lot).

At least to me, Kuechly makes the most sense. The Chiefs don't have any depth at the ILB positions and in a perfect world, a guy like Jovan Belcher should be/would be your #3 guy there due to his lack of speed. And I absolutely love Belcher. One of my favorites on the team due to his work ethic and instincts. But with Kuechly, you get those same instincts, work ethic and a major increase in athleticism.

Add to that that DJ will be 30 this next season and has only been able to put together one high level season, which was this past season.

The next best option would be Jon Martin. Albert is in the last year of his contract, there is absolutely no depth at the tackle position and Richardson is the worst starting tackle in the league. You draft a guy like Martin, put him on the right side for next season, see what happens with Albert in his contract year and potentially have Martin as your LT of the future if Albert decides he wants a big contract. (Artunis nailed it in one of his recent posts about Albert and a potential contract/future.)

They are going to have to draft two tackles because of this situation anyway. They might as well have a guy who has upper echelon left tackle potential in Martin versus hope that someone pans out. I think that they wanted to do this last year with Nate Solder, but he went to New England a few spots ahead of the Chiefs.

In hindsight, they should have picked Derrek Sherrod last year instead of Baldwin.

I just want to point out that Kuechly probably can't fill Belcher's roll in our defense, and if he was, it would be a waste of his talent. We could use a high-upside project player to develop behind DJ, tho.

Saccopoo
03-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I just want to point out that Kuechly probably can't fill Belcher's roll in our defense, and if he was, it would be a waste of his talent. We could use a high-upside project player to develop behind DJ, tho.

Agree.

That's why I say that they are in a bit of no-man's land at #11.

Jon Martin very well might be the best option there if they stay pat. The other option(s) would be to move up for either Luck or Griffin or move down for Konz.

Either that or you take Brockers as Dorsey heads into the last year of his initial contract.

If they stay pat, I'm probably leaning towards Reiff or Martin. They are going to need two offensive tackles out of this draft - one to push Richardson out who is capable of possibly moving to the left side if Albert goes totally insane and wants a big contract after next season, and one who can be an effective RT/swing tackle for depth (something we do not currently have).

I wouldn't mind them moving up or down though.

I'm as sick as anyone about the crap we've been parading out at the QB spot since Montana (and Dawson before that - though Deberg was fun to watch for a couple of years). It's high time we got a guy who could be that guy. I wouldn't mind a trade up for Griffin.

And we need a high quality center as no one knows if Weigmann will retire or not. I wouldn't mind a trade down for Konz.

I seriously don't see Indy doing anything other than taking Luck. They should have their franchise stripped from them if they take someone else or trade that pick. Depending on the price for Griffin, I wouldn't really mind it if the Chiefs make a move up. I don't want them to sell a whole draft or two, but a 1/3 this year and a 1 next (and maybe even a player) is the most I would find acceptable. (Though there is a chance of getting a pretty good QB prospect next year with that pick, so you have to take that into consideration as well.) Anything beyond that is utterly stupid.

O.city
03-05-2012, 07:12 PM
So Sac, is there a RT prospect that could be had in the third or fourth that could start right away?

Saccopoo
03-05-2012, 08:12 PM
So Sac, is there a RT prospect that could be had in the third or fourth that could start right away?

Best canidate would be Matt Reynolds of BYU.

He's a four year starter at left tackle in a pro-style set offense that set school passing and rushing records during his time there. He was a freshman first team All-American. He was a four time, first team All-Conference selection. He was also a four time, first team All-Conference academic selection.

He's got very good footwork, plays through the whistle, plays nasty but also plays smart. He's adapt at both run and pass blocking and can carry additional weight and still be very effective and athletic on the field.

He's 25, so he's physically and mentally mature. He's a two-time team captain. He worked hard this off-season to redefine his body and he showed up at the combine looking more like a left tackle than anyone other than Kalil.

His current line coach said he's on the same level as former player Logan Mankins.

A lot of draft boards were projecting him in the first round of the 2011 draft if he came out early.

He's played at a very high level his whole career, has been very durable, and is a team leader who leads by example on and off the field. He basically shut down everyone he went against this past season.

I have absolutely no idea why people/draftniks don't have him as one of the upper echelon tackles in this draft. If he's there in the third when the Chiefs pick, they should seriously consider him with that pick. He's the most "ready now" NFL level RT prospect in the draft, especially for the zone system the Chiefs use/will use.

O.city
03-05-2012, 08:50 PM
I thought I seen a mock with him in the 6th somewhere.

Saccopoo
03-06-2012, 10:58 AM

This is the same player that Mike Mayock had in the first round of his pre-2011 mock, contingent on Reynolds coming out his junior year.

He got in better shape, had an excellent season - another first team All-Conference selection, and measured in at the combine at 6'4 1/2" and 306 lbs. looking lean and ran the drills fluidly. No injuries, was once again team captain, etc.

2011 | Senior Year - Outland Trophy Watch List, Lombardi Award Candidate, Lowe's Senior Class Award Nominee ... Phil Steele All-Independent First Team, Yahoo! Sports All-Independent Team, FBS All-Independent Team ... invited to East-West Shrine Game ... team captain ... earned letterman honors as a senior ... started all 13 games, tieing him for the most starts in BYU history with 52; every game of his career ... led team in pancake blocks ... helped BYU rank No. 5 in third-down conversions (51.94 percent) ... contributed to five games where BYU rushed for 200+ yards and 200+ passing yards ... helped BYU to No. 20 in first downs per game (23.54) ... BYU offensive line allowed 1.31 sacks per game (T-No. 27) and 4.38 tackles for loss allowed per game (T-No. 12) ... part of offensive line that allowed zero sacks in five different games and two or fewer in 10 games ... got his helmet knocked off but got a big block to spring quarterback for a touchdown pass vs. Tulsa in the Armed Forces Bowl ... named to ESPN.com All-Bowl Team for his efforts

Yep. Reads just like a sixth round project to me.

jd1020
03-06-2012, 11:01 AM

He plays for BYU.

Thats all you should know about where Sacc is going to project him.

Most people say he needs to move inside to G because he's undersized and cant handle speed for T but Sacc is going to project him as one of the best second day tackles in the draft because he plays for BYU.

aturnis
03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
He plays for BYU.

Most people say he needs to move inside to G because he's undersized and cant handle speed for T but Sacc is going to project him as one of the best second day tackles in the draft because he plays for BYU.

MAYBE two draftniks with less than impressive reputations have said this. That is not most.

O.city
03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Sac, say we take Richardson at 11, would you think about trading back up into the first to grab Konz?

Saccopoo
03-08-2012, 06:44 PM
He plays for BYU.

He measured in at the Combine at 6'5" and 302 lbs. with 33 1/2" arms. (And he played at around 325 lbs. his junior year.) That's undersized?

Or are you going by what you read on some Bleacher Report mock?

And frankly, I don't care where he went to school. He's been one of the better left tackles at the college level the past four years. Very consistent, is very good in both the pass and run protections and has very good footwork. I've never seen him have a problem with speed rushers and he shut down everyone he faced this past year.

Again, go watch the BYU/Ole Miss game from this past season. You can see both Reynolds and Rebels RT Bobbie Massie in a game time situation. Reynolds was far and away the best lineman on the field. Not even close.

BryanBusby
03-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Sac, say we take Richardson at 11, would you think about trading back up into the first to grab Konz?

The Chiefs at least believe they have a long term solution at Center with Hudson.

As fun as it is to tee off on Sac, Matt Reynolds was a very productive starter at BYU. I don't think he has the feet to play LT in the NFL, but he should do fine over on the right side.

O.city
03-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Sac, say we do in fact sign Winston tomorrow. COuld you get on board with taking Decastro at 11?

Saccopoo
03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Sac, say we do in fact sign Winston tomorrow. COuld you get on board with taking Decastro at 11?

If Hudson can play center to the same level that he played guard, sure.

Hudson was as good a guard at the college level as DeCastro - maybe even better.

Personally, I'd rather trade down, get some additional picks and take Konz, who I believe is an elite level center prospect, and keep Hudson at guard.

the Talking Can
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Personally, I'd rather trade down, get some additional picks and take Konz, who I believe is an elite level center prospect, and keep Hudson at guard.

agree

BossChief
03-16-2012, 01:08 AM
agree

This

Direckshun
03-16-2012, 01:53 AM
This

Yup.

O.city
03-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Alright guys, the Ravens resigned Birk. They likely aren't taking Konz.

Anyway he falls to us in the second?

Saccopoo
03-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Alright guys, the Ravens resigned Birk. They likely aren't taking Konz.

Anyway he falls to us in the second?

No.

Besides, I seriously doubt that he even would get to Baltimore.

Chicago is the most likely place he gets picked. They really would love to move Roberto Garza back to guard. Looking at the draft, Konz to Chicago makes the most sense. They love tough guy centers there and with Konz playing at Wisconsin, they guy is ready to suit up in Chicago conditions.

BryanBusby
03-17-2012, 11:23 PM
That's a maybe. J'Marcus Webb is fucking garbage at LT and I've heard they like Mike Adams as a LT, so I think they'd opt to go that direction instead.