PDA

View Full Version : MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread***

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

NewChief
09-11-2012, 10:05 PM
:(

Your piss seems tepid right now at best.

I'm actually having a pretty damned good Fall, because I've been relieved (much earlier than I anticipated) of a lot of anxiety and uncertainties. I can now go camping and other enjoyable activities without worrying about missing some part in a potentially epic season.

Speaking of: haven't heard jack shit from you in the Now Playing thread, lately. Check out Pepperboy (http://baku-shad-do.bandcamp.com/album/p-t-s-post-traumatic-stress-2) out of LR if you haven't already.

KcMizzou
09-11-2012, 10:46 PM
First thought....

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_i8Xw2TzxtkFghy7G18QhxZX-Qi0jvB16ZuOJoWDnycbtNJZa3w

Pitt Gorilla
09-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Let me help you out with some more ammunition:

ULM.Not going to hit you with that, NewChief. You don't deserve it. Not only that, it seems like something a KU fan would do.

NewChief
09-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Not going to hit you with that, NewChief. You don't deserve it. Not only that, it seems like something a KU fan would do.

It's been a very strange last couple of years as a fan of the Razorbacks, I'll just say that. Not sure when or where this particular rollercoaster is going to end up. I've become fairly ambivalent on this season, though. Wait to see what happens in the offseason with new coaching hires.

It's all good. The increased media presence on the national stage by the Hogs was exposing way too much of my home state's crazy to public scrutiny (see Reaper's video).

Pitt Gorilla
09-12-2012, 07:37 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/it-s-all-in-the-family-for-mizzou-s-washington/article_0a8b6af9-0118-5c9b-a815-42327cbd6c8a.html

It's all in the family for Mizzou's Washington

COLUMBIA, Mo. • In the annals of Mizzou football history, junior L'Damian Washington's 69-yard touchdown reception Saturday will be faintly recalled for giving the Tigers a 17-9 lead over Georgia in the third quarter of MU's debut in Southeastern Conference play.

MU went on to lose 41-20.

But the moment will forever have more poignant meaning in the lives of Washington and his three brothers.

"I've still got tears in my eyes," said La Courtney Washington, the eldest, by telephone Tuesday from their home in Shreveport, La.

The brothers were orphaned at ages 19, 17, 15 and 9 when their mother died after complications from a blood clot, which surfaced at one of Washington's basketball games six years ago.

In a season Washington is dedicating to his mother, Sonya, the Georgia game marked the first time his brothers ever have seen him play in Columbia.

Forgive Washington if he was unable to block that all out until he ducked his head on the sideline "just to gather myself," he said. In the peak of emotion, he was teary-eyed himself.

He thought of the mother who worked at a hospital and raised the boys for 10 years on her own after the father of the oldest three had been shot and killed.

Washington, the third-oldest, thought of the bond among the four, who vowed at the hospital the night she died never to be separated — and had to fight countless battles to honor that.

"Everything that I do is for them," Washington said. "That touchdown, that's their touchdown."

That touchdown also might be a harbinger of plenty more to come, perhaps starting with MU's game Saturday against Arizona State.

Washington had 20 catches for 364 yards and three touchdowns last season.

But he has been under the radar, given the profile of senior T.J. Moe and his 146 catches in 2010-2011, the rise of junior Marcus Lucas, who is tied with Moe for the team lead with nine receptions this season, and, of course, the breathless expectations for freshman Dorial Green-Beckham, the nation's top recruit.

The radar may soon find Washington, though: He said he's been timed at 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He sheepishly said he considers himself the fastest on the team, and not many dispute that.

But playing the position is about a lot more than just speed, and upon his arrival at MU Washington had plenty he needed to learn and add to his game — starting with his weight.

At 6 feet 2 when he arrived in 2009 for what became a redshirt season, Washington was generously listed as 185 pounds.

Co-offensive line coach Josh Henson, who recruited Washington, remembers well greeting him and taking him to a campus cafeteria.

"'Coach, I can eat any of this? As much as I want?' " Henson recalled Washington asking. "It was like a kid going to play in an amusement park."

Washington was diligent about everything from putting on weight — he's now 195 — to improving his blocking to learning the playbook. But he also initially was distracted and tempted to go back home to help care for his youngest brother, Tomarious. It took time to convince him that the best way to help them all was to stay with school and football.

"It always takes guys a certain amount of time (to adjust to college), but he just had way more things outside of the University of Missouri football team than the average guy has," receivers coach Andy Hill said. "He does not have what the normal guy has."

When their mother died, La Courtney Washington said he cried for perhaps "three months straight" and lost 25 pounds.

He had to forgo his own plans to play football at Louisiana Tech, he said, and pour himself into basic survival issues, such as learning to cook, opening a bank account and buying school supplies.

The brothers Washington also had to fend off movements to put them in foster homes or split them up among other relatives, he said.

"We raised each other up," said La Courtney, who works in a factory.

Not surprisingly, it didn't all go smoothly.

At one point, lights and other utilities were turned off and they were forced to move out of their house, even living apart with friends briefly.

"They were almost on the streets," Stephen Dennis, Washington's coach at Green Oaks High, told the Post-Dispatch in 2010. "Close to it."

But with help from people like Dennis, a supportive community and Ebenezer Baptist Church, the four found a way.

And L'Damian became such an accomplished example that Shreveport declared a day in his honor when he graduated and bestowed upon him a key to the city.

Washington still cites his Christian faith as a major reason for his ability to stay clear-headed and persevere to where he is now.

"I don't care if he's going to eat a piece of candy, he's praying to God," La Courtney said. "He doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't do dumb stuff."

And for the family, it all was embodied in one snapshot Saturday night.

"He's just an unbelievable story, really, of courage," Henson said. "And of just a person making up his mind that no matter what his circumstances, they're going to believe in themselves, they're going to do things right and they're going to overcome."

Chocolate Hog
09-12-2012, 09:25 PM
You guys think Mizzou will recruit Rome now that he's left the Huskers?

Saul Good
09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
You guys think Mizzou will recruit Rome now that he's left the Huskers?

I doubt it. Pinkel didn't even offer him until really late in the game IIRC, basically after it was clear that he wasn't going to accept the offer. It seemed like Pinkel didn't want him but didn't want to burn any bridges by not offering a local kid. Isn't his entire family a bunch of headcases?

Pitt Gorilla
09-12-2012, 11:51 PM
You guys think Mizzou will recruit Rome now that he's left the Huskers?Zero chance.

Saul Good
09-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Zero chance.

Seems like a bold statement. Why do you think there's no chance at all?

duncan_idaho
09-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Seems like a bold statement. Why do you think there's no chance at all?

1) Missouri coaches are past being a 'backup plan' for in-state guys who spurn Mizzou the first time and want to come back.

2) They never wanted Rome that much in the first place.

3) Rome probably isn't interested in coming back to Missouri (he lived there for like 8 months before committing)

4) AJ Ofodile told me - and I'm sure Mizzou coaches - the kid wasn't going to improve much as a college player because there wasn't that much place to go. And its not like he's been a plus player at Nebraska. Merely OK.

ChiefsCountry
09-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Rome will probably end up at Northern Iowa.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chocolate Hog
09-13-2012, 04:50 PM
I doubt it. Pinkel didn't even offer him until really late in the game IIRC, basically after it was clear that he wasn't going to accept the offer. It seemed like Pinkel didn't want him but didn't want to burn any bridges by not offering a local kid. Isn't his entire family a bunch of headcases?

I know nothing about his family but apparently he's lazy.

BourbonMan
09-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Mizzou fans didn’t use a 41–20 loss to Georgia in the Tigers’ SEC debut as an excuse to abandon their Midwestern manners.

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/mizzou_thanks_uga_fans_in_newspaper_ad/11710708?linksrc=home_vv_image_11710708

ghak99
09-14-2012, 02:30 PM
Several GA fans who attended the game in Columbia have made some interesting comments about the add, and MIZZOU in general, on facebook images of this add.

Hello Missouri fans, Just wanted to let you know how much the Georgia fans enjoyed your hospitality. I have been a season ticket holder at UGA for over 30 years, and you guys, by far, were the best fans we have ever been around, Can't wait for you all to come to the classic city, and let us return the favor. Good luck the rest of the season and welcome to the SEC. GO DAWGS & GO TIGERS, CAN'T wait for next year.

they could not have been any nicer!! Looking forward to going back in 2014And generous with their adult beverages too!We needed more classy fans in the conference. My parents made the trip and the text my Dad sent me before the game remarked how friendly and polite the Mizzou fans were. I think all the fans in the SEC could learn something from the Missouri fans.Mizzou fans, you definitely treated my family with the same respect and we Dawgs thank you again for the mid-Missouri hospitality. We will be back very soon to visit your wonderful stadium and classy football fans!Missouri you just became my #2 team! Class act! Welcome to the SEC! It was a great game and I was impressed by the Mizzou fans then - and even moreso now.Class act by both parties! You guys have a rocking stadium by the way I shaken by the flat screen!! But again good luckWow! From the moment we arrived in Columbia, everyone from fans to law enforcement to tailgaters welcomed us as if we were the only car load there! We were dressed in Red , and could not walk past a tent without someone coming out and shaking our hand, giving us food, drink, chairs etc. I knew from my trips hauling building materials through there that the people were nice . Now I can honestly say that they are the most hospitable people I have ever met. They also have a team that will compete in the SEC. I would not have bet on Ga at the end of the 3rd qtr Sat night. Even after the game the Mizz fans had the same Class as before. I will be in Athens to do my part to return the favor Who knew the new Tigers would show the old 2 how an SEC team should conduct themselves. Pay attention Auburn and LSU....bet they've never turned fire hoses on opposing fans

Reaper16
09-14-2012, 03:12 PM
So, uh, lots of discussion on Twitter that James Franklin will be OUT against ASU. WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THESE DEVELOPMENTS?

Dr. Gigglepants
09-14-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm thinking nothing to see here, Berk getting reps with the 1st team is what I'm reading. Haven't been able to find anything but chatter though, so we'll probably know more later.

kepp
09-14-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't know though. That UGA game was a lot for a surgically-repaired shoulder to take. I wonder if its hurting him.

Frazod
09-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm thinking nothing to see here, Berk getting reps with the 1st team is what I'm reading. Haven't been able to find anything but chatter though, so we'll probably know more later.

Is Berk worth a crap?

Dr. Gigglepants
09-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I've never been too impressed with him (not that he's had many chances), but if JF is banged up, he may be a better option. Would be interesting anyway to see if someone else can show a little and finish a game we need to win.

Dr. Gigglepants
09-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Ashley Zavala ‏@ZavalaA
In response to rumors, Mizzou source tells me Missouri plans on starting Corbin Berkstresser at QB tomorrow vs. ASU, Franklin questionable.

Holy capital S

DJ's left nut
09-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Berk's better suited the the SEC game, IMO. His arm is stronger, he's a little bit taller and he seems like a better thrower.

He's not Aaron Murray, but I think he could do a better job of taking advantage of one of the few advantages we'll have on the field most weeks in the SEC - our WR corps.

I'm just not impressed by Franklin. He guides the ball too much and can't get the zip on the throw necessary to hit out routes without telegraphing them and/or taking a 3 minute long windup.

Pinkel adores Franklin - says he'll play on Sundays. There's no way Franklin's going to lose the job. That said, Pinkel's simply wrong - Franklin doesn't have the requisite arm strength to excel in the SEC and I have no qualms at all with Berk getting reps.

Frazod
09-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Berk's better suited the the SEC game, IMO. His arm is stronger, he's a little bit taller and he seems like a better thrower.

He's not Aaron Murray, but I think he could do a better job of taking advantage of one of the few advantages we'll have on the field most weeks in the SEC - our WR corps.

I'm just not impressed by Franklin. He guides the ball too much and can't get the zip on the throw necessary to hit out routes without telegraphing them and/or taking a 3 minute long windup.

Pinkel adores Franklin - says he'll play on Sundays. There's no way Franklin's going to lose the job. That said, Pinkel's simply wrong - Franklin doesn't have the requisite arm strength to excel in the SEC and I have no qualms at all with Berk getting reps.

Pinkel reminds me a lot of LaRussa. And I don't mean that to be a compliment.

kepp
09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Ashley Zavala ‏@ZavalaA
In response to rumors, Mizzou source tells me Missouri plans on starting Corbin Berkstresser at QB tomorrow vs. ASU, Franklin questionable.

Holy capital S

Whoa. Anyone know how good ASU's run defense is?

Found it...74th - http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/1040/p2

Dr. Gigglepants
09-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Pretty much agree on all accounts, DJ. At this point I think we know what we have with Franklin. Decent QB, but he prefers to to run first, when we have such talented WRs to rely on.

Regarding the love Pinkel shows to JF, I honestly feel like he's Casseled into the starting QB job, nothing other than injury is going to unseat him.

Berk is still an unknown, but I don't have a problem with it either.

DJ's left nut
09-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Pretty much agree on all accounts, DJ. At this point I think we know what we have with Franklin. Decent QB, but he prefers to to run first, when we have such talented WRs to rely on.

Regarding the love Pinkel shows to JF, I honestly feel like he's Casseled into the starting QB job, nothing other than injury is going to unseat him.

Berk is still an unknown, but I don't have a problem with it either.

I wouldn't say "Casseled" - Franklin was one of the top recruits in the country and the year he had last year showed why. The kid is absolutely capable of winning games.

He just doesn't fit this team terribly well.

He's a great teammate, tough competitor and just a very stand up kid. There's a ton to like about him and I think that's why Pinkel is so fond of him.

I just don't think he's what we want guiding the ship right now. He'd have been great for the XII where teams rely on speed over size in their defense and the big guys aren't nearly as fast. He can get those running lanes and make things happen on the ground. In the SEC, however, the meat is just too fast and the speed is just too strong. It's not wise to subject your QB to those hits. I also don't think he ever saw MU having a WR corps this good when he pursued Franklin.

It sucks because he's easy to root for - he's just not a great fit for this team.

duncan_idaho
09-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Franklin is out (third-party source).

I disagree re: Franklin's fit in the SEC. He has plenty of arm strength when his mechanics are good, and he has pretty good touch. It's clear so far, though, that the time he missed with the shoulder injury set him back. And he's apparently re-injured it, so I don't know what happens there.

In my opinion, the Tigers MUST have a true dual-threat QB to continue with this offense in the SEC. Running out of the shotgun simply won't work unless you're throwing well enough to force teams to drop 7 and 8 on 1st and 2nd down or you have more than one RB/potential ballcarrier in the backfield (whether it's a QB or a second RB or a WR on a jet).

A healthy dual-threat guy with this offensive talent at WR would make that offense very difficult to stop.

Dr. Gigglepants
09-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter

I'm getting strong indication MU not certain on QB situation. Team has 26 hours until kickoff. Very likely could be game-time decision

Dave Matter ‏@Dave_Matter

I'm hearing conflicting info on #Mizzou QB situation for tomorrow. MU is not commenting on speculation that Berkstresser is starting

DJ's left nut
09-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Franklin is out (third-party source).

I disagree re: Franklin's fit in the SEC. He has plenty of arm strength when his mechanics are good, and he has pretty good touch. It's clear so far, though, that the time he missed with the shoulder injury set him back. And he's apparently re-injured it, so I don't know what happens there.

In my opinion, the Tigers MUST have a true dual-threat QB to continue with this offense in the SEC. Running out of the shotgun simply won't work unless you're throwing well enough to force teams to drop 7 and 8 on 1st and 2nd down or you have more than one RB/potential ballcarrier in the backfield (whether it's a QB or a second RB or a WR on a jet).

A healthy dual-threat guy with this offensive talent at WR would make that offense very difficult to stop.

That's the thing though - his mechanics are never good.

He's always trying to guide the ball. On occasion he'll get a little more comfortable and for a series or two he's able to do a nice job of driving the ball, but he doesn't do it routinely. I can't think of a game last year where he was really firing the ball with authority for more than a quarter or two.

And I still think that long-ass Tebow windup of his is a liability, especially with as poor a job as he does of looking off DBs.

He's simply a very very scary combination of weaknesses that undermine his strengths.

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Rumors now that Franklin will start after all.

Edit: Or maybe not.

Terez A. Paylor ‏@terezpaylor
Right now, Berkstresser lining up with the first team in pregame warmups. Mauk lining up with the twos. #Mizzou

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 05:59 PM
LMAO ESPN 2 says Mizzou lost to ASU last season.... 37-0 in OT. :spock:

qabbaan
09-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Berk starts.

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 06:26 PM
10-0 Mizzou after an ASU fumble on a punt return.

Superturtle
09-15-2012, 06:28 PM
How is Berk?

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 06:29 PM
INT Mizzou! Kip Edwards

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Pinkel seemed to throw Franklin under the bus in the pregame interview, saying that the player refused any type of shot to numb the pain. "His choice."

Plan for today insanely stupid, given the change in QB. Slow-developing plays and complete disregard for stretching the field.

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 06:31 PM
How is Berk?Pretty solid so far. His protection has been shaky at times. O-line's pretty beat up.

ghak99
09-15-2012, 06:35 PM
How is Berk?

He's using his size very well.

He looks too relaxed and casual behind the line, but part of it is the slow developing plays. He showed his arm strength with a couple short bullets. Pressure is fairly high, but have yet to see the plays force him to get aggressive and go down the field.

ghak99
09-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Just threw a fairly ugly duck under pressure. The O-line is going to need help!

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 06:49 PM
Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond

Combined first quarter stats for the two quarterbacks here: 4-15, 12 yards and a pick.

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 06:50 PM
One the bright side, Sheldon looks like a beast so far.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2012, 06:51 PM
THAT was a play.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 06:52 PM
How is Berk?

Looks like shit because it's the proverbial square peg, round hole.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Da da da. Da da da.

Pitt Gorilla
THAT was a catch.

Pitt Gorilla
Looks like shit because it's the proverbial square peg, round hole.?

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 06:55 PM
?

Player, system.

Berk's strengths are not Franklin's.

Reaper16
09-15-2012, 06:55 PM
?

Running Franklin plays instead of playing to Berks' strengths.

Reaper16
09-15-2012, 06:56 PM
This o-line is a dumpster fire.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2012, 06:56 PM
This.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 06:57 PM

Was thinking about this with respect to the 52-0 'Bama-ARK game.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 06:59 PM
ASU a fucking hot mess at QB.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Murphy = stud.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 07:02 PM
When the QB is really no threat to run, slow developing plays don't fucking work.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Ah yeah.

kepp
09-15-2012, 07:10 PM
I think Berkstresser threw to the only receiver that was covered for that int.
Posted via Mobile Device

qabbaan
09-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Berk is so nonchalant in the pocket. Standing around flat footed, not really in a hurry to do anything. Doesn't seem to use his lower body when throwing. Weird to watch.

kepp
09-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Nice
Posted via Mobile Device

kepp
09-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Berk is so nonchalant in the pocket. Standing around flat footed, not really in a hurry to do anything. Doesn't seem to use his lower body when throwing. Weird to watch.

Yeah, Franklin does the same thing. I bet they would be noticeably better passers if they were taught proper footwork.
Posted via Mobile Device

ghak99
09-15-2012, 07:17 PM

It's driving me nuts!

ghak99
09-15-2012, 07:20 PM
I think Berkstresser threw to the only receiver that was covered for that int.
Posted via Mobile Device

The replay made it look like a Mark Cashle lock on with wide open receivers doing jumping jacks trying to get his attention.

kepp
09-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Geez, what was up with our tackling on that drive?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
09-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Tackling needs to sharpen up. Mizzou's offense isn't good enough to allow the defense to take whole possessions off like that.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 07:46 PM

System. Not the player.

Sully
09-15-2012, 07:50 PM

Been that way since Brad Smith. I've always thought the Mizzou offense "get offs," across the board, we're to slow.

kepp
09-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Our tackling is crap all the sudden
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Damn, I love Moe.

kepp
09-15-2012, 08:05 PM
50% of our offense is QB runs.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiveSteam
09-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing wrong with that,as long as you all have a decent back up Q/B
That is your back up Q/B?
Tiger offense is fun to watch when its hitting on all 8 cylinders

kepp
09-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Nothing wrong with that,as long as you all have a decent back up Q/B
That is your back up Q/B?
Tiger offense is fun to watch when its hitting on all 8 cylinders

Right, but when your backup qb is not a running threat, and the gameplan doesn't change at all when he's in, its frustrating.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Which is great when we don't have a running QB on the field.

Revise the game plan or get Franklin's weak ass to the locker room and shoot up some pain meds.

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 08:20 PM
24-7 Mizzou

Berk's looking more comfortable as the game goes on.

Reaper16
09-15-2012, 08:23 PM
If you're last name is Yost, you're probably incompetent at your job (see: Yost, Ned; Yost, David).

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Fire the snapping coach.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Launch lolcopters.

Superturtle
09-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Jesus what a defensive implosion.

Reaper16
09-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Mizzou and Iowa are of similar ilk: if you're a talented player, they'll get you to the NFL, but you're going to experience a lot frustrating losses.

kepp
09-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Our line is just awful...like a line of subway turnstiles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
09-15-2012, 09:01 PM
I legitimately don't understand how a 3rd & 10 play gets a spot-foul for -10 yards and ends up being a 3rd and 4.

Frazod
09-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Berk's looking damned good, though.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Pointless play and terrible pass.

Frazod
09-15-2012, 09:04 PM
We just got raped on that non-call 4321

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Chance of making this? I'm saying 10%.

petegz28
All the flags on mo and they don't call pi on az

Superturtle
Might as fucking well go for it. No chance of making this kick.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Bad snap. Afuckinggain.

petegz28
Mu probably just gave the game away there

Frazod
Chance of making this? I'm saying 10%.

So how many points have been left on the field now? Fuck.

DeezNutz
No, no. Excuse me. Bad hold.

Superturtle
09-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Holy shit what a shank.

petegz28
Might as fucking well go for it. No chance of making this kick.

Pinkel is a fucking moron

Pablo
Goddamn that was a nice throw in the face of pressure.

Frazod
Fuck that lucky prick.

-King-
That should have been a sack.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Ball was in the air forever. DB with no awareness.

Reaper16
Mizzou will be lucky to qualify for a bowl at this rate. I was encouraged by last week's results. This week? I can hardly be more pessimistic about the season.

Superturtle
Wow Urkel put on some weight.

petegz28
Mu gonna blow a 17 pt lead at home and lose

ghak99
JFC... :facepalm:

Frazod
09-15-2012, 09:09 PM
That should have been a sack.

I've only been watching for about 45 minutes, and I've seen about a dozen of those. :banghead:

DeezNutz
Mizzou will be lucky to qualify for a bowl at this rate. I was encouraged by last week's results. This week? I can hardly be more pessimistic about the season.

Agreed. Paralysis demonstrated by the staff is discouraging.

petegz28

2 losses at home isn't going to help

Superturtle
09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Not really relevant but those Doritos tacos are pretty awful. Its actually a good idea but taco bell sucks so it makes me wish i just had a bag if doritos in my hand instead.

Frazod
09-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I wonder how much of a difference Franklin would have made?

Frazod
09-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Goddammit that wasn't a facemask! FUCK

petegz28
That's not a face mask

Superturtle
MOAR QB RUNS!!!!

DeezNutz
Terrible call. Looked like a face mask in real time, though.

ArrowheadMagic
09-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Playcalling is like he is in there. Obviously they arent playing to the QB's strength.

petegz28
Have to say these refs have royally fucked Mu this quarter

-King-
Nice meltdown fellas.

petegz28
09-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Htf do you call that on Mu?

-King-
Thats OPI. Or a no call at worst.

Frazod
Bought off ref$$$$$ 4321

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Need them to match us shit for shit.

petegz28
Bought off ref$$$$$ 4321

Considering the calls and no calls this quarter one would really wonder

Frazod
Jesus.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 09:15 PM
LMAO. How?

petegz28
That's bs the refs killed the last drive for Mu and have given this drive to az

David.
Our team looks soft.

LiveSteam
:facepalm: All I did was run to kwik-shop for some cigs

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 09:16 PM
One more time needed.

-King-
Good stand.

ArrowheadMagic
it is SEC refs after all

Superturtle
Oh shit

-King-
Make that a GREAT stand.

DeezNutz
09-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Run it to win it. Lots of Moe and Murphy here.

Al Bundy
Nice 4th down stop.

phisherman
Nice stand D!

Frazod
FUCK YOU COCKSUCKERS AND YOUR BOUGHT OFF OFFICIALS 4321

stonedstooge
Surprised no flag on that play

Superturtle
09-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Really? With this o line you call a draw in the endzone

-King-
09-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Welp...

-King-
09-15-2012, 09:20 PM
ROFL Kicked it right to him.

Frazod
Gonna be a long year, guys.

Reaper16
These twats couldn't get one first down to win the game? This is not an easy team to like.

DeezNutz
Face to the palm.

Superturtle
LMAO

DeezNutz
Stand to win it.

-King-
09-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Good pressure so far. 2 more plays.

DeezNutz
Again and again.

LiveSteam
Tiger d getting after it

-King-
WHEW!!! Bad throw to win it. I'll take it.

Frazod
09-15-2012, 09:22 PM
I think I'll go have a FUCKING HEART ATTACK NOW.

DeezNutz
Over. Stupid fuck had to return it just to give ASU some sort of a chance.

Pitt Gorilla
Praise sweet baby Jesus.

Superturtle
Yay?

Superturtle
Wow he was open too.

-King-
He couldn't have been more open. Wow.

ArrowheadMagic
09-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Win is a win. congrats

DeezNutz
Pinkel didn't make the call to sit him; Franklin bitched out.

Reaper16
I didn't even smile when that INT happened. So disappointed in this effort.

qabbaan
A win is a win, but man. You're +3 at home, you shouldn't be in a close game.

We have to get this offensive line fixed.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Lol at gay u fans cheering for asu.

KcMizzou
Holy shit. Thank God.

I was literally sweating it out.

ArrowheadMagic
A win is a win, but man. You're +3 at home, you shouldn't be in a close game.

We have to get this offensive line fixed.
Difference between Big XII and SEC is line play, if you were healthy, you were still playing from behind.

-King-
I didn't even smile when that INT happened. So disappointed in this effort.

Only silver lining is that we did it with our backup. But... we have some work to do.

DeezNutz
This team looked like complete shit.

If we're committed to the current system, MM better be able to run it better than he drives a scooter, since Berk is not a fit.

KcMizzou
I think I'll go have a ****ING HEART ATTACK NOW.I'll join ya. Jesus...

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Good news: Meiners was (sort of) back.

Bad news: The line still sucked.

-King-
09-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Can't wait for the Alabama game. We might be 40 point dogs.

kcpasco
Damn that was close
That BS face mask penalty had me pissed. But I can see how it would look like one in real time.

Superturtle
Offensive play calling is an abomination.

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Those three years at the end of my life? I guess I wasn't going to be using them anyway.

-King-
09-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Been that way since Chase left.

Frazod
09-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Those three years at the end of my life? I guess I wasn't going to be using them anyway.

Seriously. Between them and the Chiefs, how the hell am I still alive? :spock:

Pitt Gorilla
09-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Seriously. Between them and the Chiefs, how the hell am I still alive? :spock:Chiefs, Tigers, Panthers (UNI), and bacon. I'd hate to see the actual number I've knocked off my life. My hair is greying early, FWIW.

Reaper16
09-15-2012, 09:43 PM

Seriously. Between them and the Chiefs, how the hell am I still alive? :spock:

The better question isn't how are [we] alive, but why are [we] alive? What's the point?

pkane
09-15-2012, 09:43 PM

Yost needs to go. I'm tired off his plays and play calling.

Bowser
09-15-2012, 09:45 PM
The better question isn't how are [we] alive, but why are [we] alive? What's the point?

Look, stoner, let us enjoy eeking out a win before you remind us how small we all are in the grand scheme of things.

Bowser
09-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Yost needs to go. I'm tired off his plays and play calling.

I've felt this way for three seasons now. I was actually shocked, SHOCKED, that we ran out of the I-Formation today. Yost must have lost a bet.

HemiEd
09-15-2012, 09:46 PM
WTF? LMAO Mizzou just had a 1Mizzou add on the Texas game.

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Look, stoner, let us enjoy eeking out a win before you remind us how small we all are in the grand scheme of things.LMAO

kepp
09-15-2012, 09:51 PM
WTF? LMAO Mizzou just had a 1Mizzou add on the Texas game.

Oh man do I hate that commercial.
Posted via Mobile Device

BryanBusby
09-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Chiefs, Tigers, Panthers (UNI), and bacon. I'd hate to see the actual number I've knocked off my life. My hair is greying early, FWIW.
No shit lol

and I was wondering why I've been losing my hair quickly

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 09:56 PM
I've felt this way for three seasons now. I was actually shocked, SHOCKED, that we ran out of the I-Formation today. Yost must have lost a bet.We actually loaded up against Georgia in short yardage, and pushed that vaunted d-line back for a 1st down. Happened in the 1st quarter. I was saving it so that if we won, I could point it out as one of my favorite plays.

But the O-line we played with tonight was completely different... and it showed.

Anyway... got a win with an inexperienced QB, and a shitty line... I'll take it.

HemiEd
09-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
I just thought it was kind of funny though, but the more I think about it, it makes more sense. Texas is playing Ole Miss, so it must be an SEC add.

At first though, I thought Mizzou was taking a shot at Texas, ROFL

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceYeah, cheesy as hell... not a fan.

Fairplay
09-15-2012, 10:06 PM
A win is a win is all that matters.

Frazod
09-15-2012, 10:08 PM

Remember, I'm also a Cardinals fan. :)

KcMizzou
09-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Remember, I'm also a Cardinals fan. :)Fuck off. :#

I have no escape. I could pretend to be into soccer, but I don't think I could pull it off.

Frazod
09-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Fuck off. :#

I have no escape. I could pretend to be into soccer, but I don't think I could pull it off.

If it makes you feel any better, they do kind of suck this year.....

:D

Demonpenz
09-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Nice win. Get that Qb some experience much like That Short guy came in for brad smith.

|Zach|
09-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Are some of the guys on the line gonna start getting healthy? I know Elvis is out for a while but what about some of these other guys.

Sure-Oz
09-16-2012, 12:10 AM
DGB ever going to be used?

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Are some of the guys on the line gonna start getting healthy? I know Elvis is out for a while but what about some of these other guys.I've heard that Ruth may be back for the second half of the season. Other than that, and Meiners returning to full health, we are what we are. Britt and Morse should be fine on the outside, but they have to be more consistent.

kcpasco
09-16-2012, 12:12 AM

Ya once they get a Qb that can actually throw the ball.

kcpasco
09-16-2012, 12:18 AM
I'm actually hoping for the Mauk era to start early.

DeezNutz
09-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Why would you want to try to stretch the field with a physical freak like DGB? Best to use him in the screen game and running game.

redhed
09-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Why would you want to try to stretch the field with a physical freak like DGB? Best to use him in the screen game and running game.

I was thinking this the whole game.
Yeah, Yost is a super-genius. :rolleyes:

DeezNutz
09-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Yep. Me, too.

The only thing that I can hypothesize is that DGB is exponentially raw in route running, and this is why he's not being utilized or targeted. That said, we're getting far enough along in the season when even this will be no excuse.

If he needs coaching...wait for it...coach him up. Otherwise, it's criminal not to be exploiting the talents of the most physically gifted skill-position player on the field, regardless of opponent.

redhed
09-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Yep. Me, too.

The only thing that I can hypothesize is that DGB is exponentially raw in route running, and this is why he's not being utilized or targeted. That said, we're getting far enough along in the season when even this will be no excuse.

If he needs coaching...wait for it...coach him up. Otherwise, it's criminal not to be exploiting the talents of the most physically gifted skill-position player on the field, regardless of opponent.

There is something there that just doesn't add up; maybe his routes aren't that great.
As it is, it kinda reminds me of the Chiefs using TonyG as a blocking TE. :shake:

Frazod
09-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Frankly I think we should upgrade all the coaches. But good God, start with Yost.

Mosbonian
09-16-2012, 09:50 AM
One of the most gifted WR's ever at MU, Macklin, ran back the kickoffs. If confidence is one of the issues for DGB, why not let him get experience doing that?

Somehow it has to be that he is just so raw that they don't want to kill his confidence. I understand that Moe and Lucas have earned their spots and thus far haven't really done anything to have them taken away from them. And L'Damien Washington has proven he belongs also....but there has to be something they can do with DGB. If nothing else they need to air it out just once or twice a quarter just to keep the defenses honest.

Can it also be that we don't have a QB who can sling the ball that far accurately?

I'd like to see duncan_idaho's take on this...I'm sure he probably has better insight than most of us who are just surmising.

Sure-Oz
09-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I wonder if Alabama, Florida etc would have him on the field...

I hope to see this kid soon, there are other freshman WR tearing it up and he is supposed to be the best. Hope its just the playbook/routerunning thing that needs to get up to speed and fast

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Two issues at play here, IMO. The first one is that we have incredible depth at WR. DGB has incredible physical talent, but so do Lucas, LDW, Waters, Hunt, and even Sasser. I'd assume that DGB is still getting up to speed on the playbook and very likely needs work in route running.

Which of course is why you have him running go routes (to exploit his size/speed combination.) However, go routes require one thing that Mizzou currently doesn't have much of: time. Mizzou's line is beat up enough that they are having trouble blocking four for a small amount of time. Given that teams have read the book on Mizzou and are sending at least five, the go routes are difficult to execute. Berk took some shots downfield, but he he to lay it out there very early and hope that it timed out correctly. You also run a significant risk of an interception if the timing/placement isn't great, if a safety is playing center field.

Fix the line and you'll fix the deeper routes, IMO.

DeezNutz
09-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Two issues at play here, IMO. The first one is that we have incredible depth at WR. DGB has incredible physical talent, but so do Lucas, LDW, Waters, Hunt, and even Sasser. I'd assume that DGB is still getting up to speed on the playbook and very likely needs work in route running.

Which of course is why you have him running go routes (to exploit his size/speed combination.) However, go routes require one thing that Mizzou currently doesn't have much of: time. Mizzou's line is beat up enough that they are having trouble blocking four for a small amount of time. Given that teams have read the book on Mizzou and are sending at least five, the go routes are difficult to execute. Berk took some shots downfield, but he he to lay it out there very early and hope that it timed out correctly. You also run a significant risk of an interception if the timing/placement isn't great, if a safety is playing center field.

Fix the line and you'll fix the deeper routes, IMO.

The line looks even worse because of the slow developing, pseudo-option plays designed for a running QB, which Berk is not. If there's time for that bullshit, and there largely sort of was, then there is time to stretch the field, which the team desperately needs to do, even if the result is an incompletion.

Finally, while Lucas and the like are talented, they don't sniff DGB's natural gifts.

Mosbonian
09-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Finally, while Lucas and the like are talented, they don't sniff DGB's natural gifts.

You know how many naturally-gifted athletes end up fulfilling their potential? There are so many that get nowhere....or fail in the first 2 years because of unfair expectations.

I'll take easing him in this year and letting him learn because we do have good depth at WR. It's not like we are hurting...

DJ's left nut
09-16-2012, 01:22 PM
The line looks even worse because of the slow developing, pseudo-option plays designed for a running QB, which Berk is not. If there's time for that bullshit, and there largely sort of was, then there is time to stretch the field, which the team desperately needs to do, even if the result is an incompletion.

They're not as gifted as DGB, sure.

But I'd say the odds are only about 50/50 that DGB ends up as good a player as Lucas is. Marcus Lucas works hard, plays smart, runs great routes and is just a very good ballplayer.

My understanding of the DGB situation right now is that he's been a really cruddy route-runner so far and the coaches don't trust him in the offense. Remember, it's not just running sharp routes, but running correct ones. If he breaks a deep route off after the ball is in the air, it's an easy pick. If he turns in on an out route, it's a pick-6.

Until the coaches can trust that he knows the playbook well enough to be in the right spot, they can't lean on him.

They know how talented this kid is and they know they desperately need his speed/size on the field. If they're not using him, there's a reason. Notice that they tend to use him on the plays that are short, simple and designed around him doing a single thing and the ball going straight to him. Plays you can design specifically for him and tell him exactly what to do.

Give it time.

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Thank God for Missouri football. It may be frustrating at times, but it's not a complete clown suit like some other clubs.

DeezNutz
09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
They're not as gifted as DGB, sure.

But I'd say the odds are only about 50/50 that DGB ends up as good a player as Lucas is. Marcus Lucas works hard, plays smart, runs great routes and is just a very good ballplayer.

My understanding of the DGB situation right now is that he's been a really cruddy route-runner so far and the coaches don't trust him in the offense. Remember, it's not just running sharp routes, but running correct ones. If he breaks a deep route off after the ball is in the air, it's an easy pick. If he turns in on an out route, it's a pick-6.

Until the coaches can trust that he knows the playbook well enough to be in the right spot, they can't lean on him.

They know how talented this kid is and they know they desperately need his speed/size on the field. If they're not using him, there's a reason. Notice that they tend to use him on the plays that are short, simple and designed around him doing a single thing and the ball going straight to him. Plays you can design specifically for him and tell him exactly what to do.

Give it time.

Then let's tell him to do this one specific thing: go deep.

If this offense stays as compact as it is, it's going to be a very, very long year, and this team was lucky to avoid disaster yesterday, as the game planning was horrendous.

I'm willing to give it a pass, as Pinkel made it all too clear that Frankin wimped out.

That said, DGB needs to be far, far, far better than Lucas, if for nothing else than future recruiting. If the #1 overall prospect in the country ends up being no better than a WR that only fans of the program know, his signing will ultimately be more of a strike against the staff than it was a positive for getting him in the first place.

With a big-time signing comes big-time expectations and pressure.

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Then let's tell him to do this one specific thing: go deep.

If this offense stays as compact as it is, it's going to be a very, very long year, and this team was lucky to avoid disaster yesterday, as the game planning was horrendous.

I'm willing to give it a pass, as Pinkel made it all too clear that Frankin wimped out.

That said, DGB needs to be far, far, far better than Lucas, if for nothing else than future recruiting. If the #1 overall prospect in the country ends up being no better than a WR that only fans of the program know, his signing will ultimately be more of a strike against the staff than it was a positive for getting him in the first place.

With a big-time signing comes big-time expectations and pressure.DGB was an enormous get for Mizzou. However, to pretend that Lucas wasn't a HUGE get for Mizzou is disingenuous at best. The kid was a 4-star recruit from the KC area with offers from all over the country. He's 6-5, has good speed and great ball skills.

DeezNutz
09-16-2012, 05:34 PM
DGB was an enormous get for Mizzou. However, to pretend that Lucas wasn't a HUGE get for Mizzou is disingenuous at best. The kid was a 4-star recruit from the KC area with offers from all over the country. He's 6-5, has good speed and great ball skills.

He was a very good signing, but not anywhere close to the level of DGB:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Marcus-Lucas-84464

Pitt Gorilla
09-16-2012, 05:44 PM
He was a very good signing, but not anywhere close to the level of DGB:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Marcus-Lucas-84464Agreed. Claiming that DGB should be "far, far, far" better than an elite receiver in his third year at Mizzou is a bit crazy. He may end up a better receiver, but Lucas being better this year means very little regarding DGB. Lucas, literally, should be better than DGB at this point.

DeezNutz
09-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Agreed. Claiming that DGB should be "far, far, far" better than an elite receiver in his third year at Mizzou is a bit crazy. He may end up a better receiver, but Lucas being better this year means very little regarding DGB. Lucas, literally, should be better than DGB at this point.

My post was with respect to DGB's ultimate career trajectory at Mizzou. If he ends up being no better than Lucas, it's a big failing on everyone's part. Not saying that has to come to fruition this year.

NewChief
09-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Thank God for Missouri football. It may be frustrating at times, but it's not a complete clown suit like some other clubs.

Yes. At least you fuckers have Mizzou.

Oh well, my high school team is looking good at least. :cuss:

duncan_idaho
09-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Well, that was interesting.

A really nervous fourth quarter, and quite the step-up from the defense late (despite having the deck stacked against them there).

I thought Berkstresser was OK, but sure as hell hope Franklin is healthy next week. The lack of respect for Berk's wheels limits the offense quite a bit, though I was impressed by the amount of WR/RB in motion use across the formation. That adds some misdirection, an element that is missing with a cement-footed QB.

Berkstresser's biggest failing was on the INT. Live, it looked bad. Watching the replay of it... man, just a terrible throw on a play where the scheme had worked and the WR was wide, wide open.

I disagree with criticisms of the game plan. With a freshman at QB, I'd expect it to be pretty conservative (and was surprised a bit it wasn't even more conservative). The poor play of the offensive line (which was awful) severely limits the playbook, too. You need 3-4 seconds to throw a deep ball, especially off of a double move like a slant-and-go. The OL certainly wasn't providing that.

They didn't use the middle of the field as much as I would have liked - it seemed like when they did, it was successful (particularly to McGaffie and Moe). ASU has a pretty decent pass defense (And the Magee kid is a great zone defender at LB), but it shouldn't have limited Missouri THAT much.

Part of that, I think, is not trusting Berkstresser's experience in reading the middle of the field and making quick, hot route throws. That's the most dangerous area of the field to throw to, so it makes sense.

I like getting the ball in DGB's hands a bit on sweeps (and hope to see that as part of the offense moving forward). With Franklin at QB, you could run a speed option behind that sweep and probably find good space - and an overreacting defense.

As a receiver, he still has a ways to go in terms of running routes effectively and at full speed, from what I hear. Honestly, he's got a hill to climb behind some experienced, quality guys in Moe and Lucas and Washington (whose big-play potential is proven). But he'll get there. It might not be this season (or not until later this season), but it will happen.

Overall... they escaped a game against a solid-to-good major conference team with the backup QB taking the snaps. Hopefully, Jesus Freak is now healthy and will be able to play on Saturday against USC, because they need him.

BourbonMan
09-17-2012, 10:27 AM
MU safety named SEC defensive player of the week

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/17/3819435/mu-safety-named-sec-defensive.html#storylink=cpy

Pitt Gorilla
09-18-2012, 04:41 PM
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prayers-for-Will/245449408830846#!/pages/Prayers-for-Will/245449408830846

Will Jacobs is a 13 year old boy from the tiny community of Winigan, MO in Northeast Missouri. He has with a very rare form of malignant brain cancer.

The Mizzou football team heard about Will and sent him the following video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/12gDdrzmvJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DJ's left nut
09-18-2012, 04:54 PM
My post was with respect to DGB's ultimate career trajectory at Mizzou. If he ends up being no better than Lucas, it's a big failing on everyone's part. Not saying that has to come to fruition this year.

I think Lucan can play on Sundays.

Clearly DGB has the talent to do the same, but there are a bunch of 5* guys every year that flame out, regardless of the program.

We need to make him count, for sure. But ultimately sometimes these guys fail. Be it injury, immaturity or a bad fit - you never just assume a guy is going to be a star. Afterall, look at that massive, lazy idiot in the center of our defensive line...

DGB has more talent, but Lucas is getting every last drop of production out of what he has. Unless DGB does the same, he's not going to exceed Lucas. Good luck banking on college kids to pull that off.

duncan_idaho
09-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Clearly DGB has the talent to do the same, but there are a bunch of 5* guys every year that flame out, regardless of the program.

We need to make him count, for sure. But ultimately sometimes these guys fail. Be it injury, immaturity or a bad fit - you never just assume a guy is going to be a star. Afterall, look at that massive, lazy idiot in the center of our defensive line...

DGB has more talent, but Lucas is getting every last drop of production out of what he has. Unless DGB does the same, he's not going to exceed Lucas. Good luck banking on college kids to pull that off.

It took Lucas a full year to get up to speed. His freshman year didn't see him do much, but he took big strides last year.

Now, if we don't see much out of DGB by next season, then maybe you start to worry.

He also came in at Missouri's deepest position. Lucas, Washington, and Moe are established, high quality guys in this offense. McGaffie is very similar to Moe and has been incredibly consistent. And having a true TE-sized guy (Waters) at the Y does create some advantages.

Plenty of time for him to develop...

Saul Good
09-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Sheldon is a very solid player.

Pitt Gorilla
09-18-2012, 05:42 PM
It took Lucas a full year to get up to speed. His freshman year didn't see him do much, but he took big strides last year.

Now, if we don't see much out of DGB by next season, then maybe you start to worry.

He also came in at Missouri's deepest position. Lucas, Washington, and Moe are established, high quality guys in this offense. McGaffie is very similar to Moe and has been incredibly consistent. And having a true TE-sized guy (Waters) at the Y does create some advantages.

Plenty of time for him to develop...Not only that, Culken was slated for playing time at TE prior to his hand injury. Throw in Hunt, Sasser, Clark, Copelin, Woodland, Leftwich, and even Stricker, and you have a full house.

DJ's left nut
09-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Sheldon is a very solid player.

Sheldon was the former #1 recruit in the nation and has become little more than a 'nice' DT.

Which is really what happens to a ton of 5* guys. They have enough talent to still be productive enough, but sometimes that star potential just fades away.

Being a 5* recruit means you're almost certainly going to be a decent college player - it does not mean you're going to be a stud. Lucas is pretty damn close to a stud, IMO.

NewChief
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM
You've got nothing to complain about. This guy could be at the helm of your football program:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YDVZNnOtGP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

duncan_idaho
09-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Sheldon was the former #1 recruit in the nation and has become little more than a 'nice' DT.

Which is really what happens to a ton of 5* guys. They have enough talent to still be productive enough, but sometimes that star potential just fades away.

Being a 5* recruit means you're almost certainly going to be a decent college player - it does not mean you're going to be a stud. Lucas is pretty damn close to a stud, IMO.

Sheldon has been more than a "NICE" DT this year. He was "NICE" a season ago, but has really stepped up, IMO.

Considering the circumstances, it was amazing how well he played a season ago. He was injured, late, had practically no practice time... and played a ton behind two very good college DTs.

He played an exceptional game against Arizona State and has been getting some first- and second-round buzz entering this season. McShay tweeted about him at one point in the offseason and thinks he has first-round potential.

Richardson is an explosive one-tech who demands a double team on almost every play and consistently beats them. He's great against the run (Check out his tackle totals and his TFL totals) and closes extremely well for a guy his size. He's able to be disruptive without sacrificing gap control.

It's a shame he didn't qualify for Mizzou out of high school. His time at College of the Sequoias was lost time, from what I heard - they didn't develop him very well. That's one part of the reason Mizzou is likely done with CoS.

I'd wait and see on Richardson. He's likely an early pick in the NFL draft, which is more than a "nice" DT. As long as he stays healthy and motivated (his motor is a big positive for him), Sheldon will likely be making nice NFL money next year (which sucks, because Mizzou could use him back).

duncan_idaho
09-19-2012, 10:27 AM
You've got nothing to complain about. This guy could be at the helm of your football program:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YDVZNnOtGP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's rough, man.

I was talking to a buddy about this today... I feel for Arkansas fans.

It's somewhat similar to Mizzou in 2008. Big preseason expectations, falling short, etc. With programs like ours, seasons like this are not an every-year occurrence.

Of course, I can't compare the two THAT much. Mizzou's fall was to a 10-win season. I think Arkansas is going to be fighting just to make a bowl game. Little bit different (and more embarrassing).

DJ's left nut
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
He played a good game against AZ State.

He also played a poor one against GA. I know he had a decent first half, but in the 2nd half when GA decided it was time to play, he completely disappeared.

If a guy can step up his game against average opposition but gets beat up by the high-end guys, he's not a true difference maker.

Do you think he's been as good as Hood? Dominique Hamilton? Those are guys that didn't have nearly the fanfare and ended up being excellent. Richardson looks like he may slot in between those guys when all is said and done, but I don't see anything to suggest he'll surpass Hood.

That's the line I'm trying to draw here - being a highly regarded recruit doesn't mean you're going to just outperform other guys that were coveted, but not quite as much. Lucas and Hood are pretty good comparables. Lucas isn't crap, much as Hood wasn't. And just because DGB comes in here with much the same hype that Richardson has, doesn't mean he's just going to blow past Lucas.

He certainly has the skills to do it, but I don't think it's wise to just assume he will and suggest that if he doesn't our staff has somehow failed him.

Saul Good
09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
He played a good game against AZ State.

He also played a poor one against GA. I know he had a decent first half, but in the 2nd half when GA decided it was time to play, he completely disappeared.

If a guy can step up his game against average opposition but gets beat up by the high-end guys, he's not a true difference maker.

Do you think he's been as good as Hood? Dominique Hamilton? Those are guys that didn't have nearly the fanfare and ended up being excellent. Richardson looks like he may slot in between those guys when all is said and done, but I don't see anything to suggest he'll surpass Hood.

That's the line I'm trying to draw here - being a highly regarded recruit doesn't mean you're going to just outperform other guys that were coveted, but not quite as much. Lucas and Hood are pretty good comparables. Lucas isn't crap, much as Hood wasn't. And just because DGB comes in here with much the same hype that Richardson has, doesn't mean he's just going to blow past Lucas.

He certainly has the skills to do it, but I don't think it's wise to just assume he will and suggest that if he doesn't our staff has somehow failed him.

You referred to him as a "massive, lazy idiot". I disagree with that characterization. That doesn't mean I think he's Suh.

DJ's left nut
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
You referred to him as a "massive, lazy idiot". I disagree with that characterization. That doesn't mean I think he's Suh.

Well he's unquestionably massive and yeah, he's an idiot. Listen to the guy speak - he's dumb as a bag of hammers.

The only real word to take exception to there is lazy and frankly the only thing that keeps him from being Suh (or at least better than Hood) is his willingness to take plays off.

Would you feel better if I referred to him as a supremely talented, massive, idiot with a questionable work ethic?

Frazod
09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
So, do we even have a chance against South Carolina, or should I just brace myself for another Chiefs/Mizzou weekend of southern curbstomping pain?

Saul Good
09-19-2012, 11:54 AM
There is a very good chance that every local football team, college and pro, gets crushed this weekend.

Dr. Gigglepants
09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
I don't see any way we get crushed. Should be a defensive game, stay smart on offense and don't make stupid turnovers inside our own 10 yard line and we'll be in the game in the 4th quarter.

Connor Shaw has a hairline fracture in his shoulder and is still getting the start, he will be timid and will be taken out of the game if we hit him good 1 time.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/66168/spurrier-shaws-injury-cant-get-any-worse

I'm not overly confident in our Offense's ability to score against their D, but I like our D's chances of keeping the score low. Probably going to be a boring game of old man football coming down to who makes fewer mistakes late.

BourbonMan
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Pinkel: Franklin will practice Wednesday, almost "symptom-free"

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/19/3822948/pinkel-franklin-will-practice.html#storylink=cpy

Frazod
09-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Pinkel: Franklin will practice Wednesday, almost "symptom-free"

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/19/3822948/pinkel-franklin-will-practice.html#storylink=cpy

Hmm. I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm really starting to lose faith in Franklin - just seems like a fragile Brad Smith at this point, and I don't think that will work in the SEC. I'm afraid he'll just keep getting hurt, but Pinkel will keep going back to him, and retard the development of the kids behind him.

BourbonMan
09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Hmm. I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm really starting to lose faith in Franklin - just seems like a fragile Brad Smith at this point, and I don't think that will work in the SEC. I'm afraid he'll just keep getting hurt, but Pinkel will keep going back to him, and retard the development of the kids behind him.

Kind of thinking the same thing..But maybe the way Berkstresser played last week (which I think he did pretty good considering it was his first start), he might get more playing time and considering what Pinkel said... "Pinkel also reiterated that the offense was more conservative last week with redshirt freshman Corbin Berkstresser making his first career start.

Saul Good
09-19-2012, 01:57 PM
This team is better off with a healthy Franklin, and it's not even close. It's not even close to being close.

|Zach|
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
This team is better off with a healthy Franklin, and it's not even close. It's not even close to being close.

I officially can't tell who the fuck anyone on this message board is anymore.

duncan_idaho
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't think Berkstresser showed anything that would move him into more PT with a healthy James Franklin around. It wasn't an ideal situation for a first-time starter, but Berk was not overly accurate, and his YPA were disappointingly low.

If Franklin is healthy and can go, he's the starter. He's got 20+ games left as the starter at QB for Mizzou. And that's a good thing. His dual-threat blend makes Missouri's offense more efficient, in my opinion, than with a stone-footed guy back there (Berk, Gabbert).

If Berkstresser had lit up ASU, it might be different. But a game where he merely "was OK" isn't going to change the picture.

duncan_idaho
09-19-2012, 02:30 PM

James Franklin is a much better thrower than Brad Smith. He isn't as explosive a runner, but his passing makes up for it.
Franklin completed 64 percent of his throws a year ago. Smith only reach that mark one time and was almost 10 points worse over the course of his career.

Pitt Gorilla
09-19-2012, 02:37 PM
I fear that Clowney is going to clown our tackles. It's more of a reality than a fear.

duncan_idaho
09-19-2012, 02:38 PM
I fear that Clowney is going to clown our tackles. It's more of a reality than a fear.

Haven't watched my SCAR film yet (tonight, hopefully!). But I remember from the Vandy game thinking that he wore down significantly in the second half.

He's a different challenge than Jarvis Jones. Will be interesting to see if they can do a better job of playing around a traditional end.

Frazod
09-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Healthly Franklin is good - I'm just worried that this shoulder injury will be an ongoing problem.

And also, with regard to Berk, the offensive line didn't exactly give him great protection. Tough to judge him based on that one game.

tomahawk kid
09-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Healthly Franklin is good - I'm just worried that this shoulder injury will be an ongoing problem.

And also, with regard to Berk, the offensive line didn't exactly give him great protection. Tough to judge him based on that one game.

THIS - couldn't agree more on both counts.

I believe the coaches said the lapses in blocking scheme the past two weeks were due to guys "not getting the calls correctly".

That's at home - with zero crowd noise. I fear for James, and his patched up shoulder, taking the middle of that line between the hedges.

Also, I feel like we'd be better served going with Britt, Boehm, McNulty, Meiners, Morse on the OL.

I think McNulty is actually a better snapper and I think Max Copeland, while a nice story and an "effort" guy, is in way over his head. Obviously not a coach, but I'd think the right side of the line would be better having Meiners and Morse over there vs Copeland and Meiners.

duncan_idaho
09-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Agreed on point two, but he didn't set the world on fire when he had time, either (I can think of three "outs" where he just made an awful throw at a guy's feet, with no pressure. Also, the INT was a terrible throw that turned a TD into a turnover).

He was OK. Just not much more than that (which is what he would need to be to earn more PT).

I'd take Franklin at 85-90 percent over the kid at this point.

Reaper16
09-24-2012, 01:57 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/South%20Carolina/Spurrier_vs_Tigers_zps5ea9052a.gif

BourbonMan
09-24-2012, 02:09 PM

You still believe this? I re-editerate, I still think the more Playing time Berk gets, the better he will get and in my humble opinion...I think he should start.

Saul Good
09-24-2012, 02:12 PM
You still believe this? I re-editerate, I still think the more Playing time Berk gets, the better he will get and in my humble opinion...I think he should start.

Honestly, I'm not sure anymore.

Reaper16
09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Franklin is not cut out, mentally or physically, to play against top-flight SEC competition.

BourbonMan
09-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Franklin is not cut out, mentally or physically, to play against top-flight SEC competition.

I Agree.

Frazod
09-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Substitute "Pinkel" for "Franklin" and "coach" for "play" and I also agree with that, too.

duncan_idaho
09-24-2012, 04:06 PM

Healthy Franklin? The guy we saw last year? Absolutely.

The guy we're seeing this year? The one that doesn't trust his shoulder, and is rattled/making the wrong reads consistently?

You can talk about that. Much more room to talk about it than after a meh performance against Arizona State by Berkstresser.

It's not a thing to be happy about, IMO, though.

CoMoChief
09-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Playcalling is hilarious

QB option-reads all day long = FAIL

duncan_idaho
09-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Recent scouting report on Sheldon Richardson (from ESPN):

"I scouted the Missouri-South Carolina game in person, and each team had an early-round prospect who stood out.

First, I was very impressed with Tigers DT Sheldon Richardson. A well-built prospect who is well proportioned with a thick lower half, Richardson (6-foot-2¨ţ, 290 pounds) was an imposing presence even during warmups. Once the game started, he looked even better.

He uses his hands well, and Richardson has good mobility and lateral quickness for his size. He showed the ability to get some surge on the inside, using a good swim move to pressure Gamecocks QB Connor Shaw on the first possession of the game and force what ended up being Shaw's only incompletion of the day.

Richardson also showed plenty of versatility, lining up all over the formation and even standing up at middle linebacker in some passing situations. He showed good instincts and recognition from that spot on a pair of passing plays, reading the play and redirecting to make the tackle on a screen pass and an underneath throw.

His motor and effort are outstanding, and with his combination of size, athleticism and versatility, Richardson lived up to his second-round grade. He finished with seven tackles, a forced fumble and a half-sack, and if he continues to play like this he'll move up the board to the early part of the second round. He certainly played like a top-40 overall pick in this game."

He'll be gone unless someone sells him on his stock increasing enough with another year to be a potential top 10 pick.

Pitt Gorilla
09-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Recent scouting report on Sheldon Richardson (from ESPN):

"I scouted the Missouri-South Carolina game in person, and each team had an early-round prospect who stood out.

First, I was very impressed with Tigers DT Sheldon Richardson. A well-built prospect who is well proportioned with a thick lower half, Richardson (6-foot-2¨ţ, 290 pounds) was an imposing presence even during warmups. Once the game started, he looked even better.

He uses his hands well, and Richardson has good mobility and lateral quickness for his size. He showed the ability to get some surge on the inside, using a good swim move to pressure Gamecocks QB Connor Shaw on the first possession of the game and force what ended up being Shaw's only incompletion of the day.

Richardson also showed plenty of versatility, lining up all over the formation and even standing up at middle linebacker in some passing situations. He showed good instincts and recognition from that spot on a pair of passing plays, reading the play and redirecting to make the tackle on a screen pass and an underneath throw.

His motor and effort are outstanding, and with his combination of size, athleticism and versatility, Richardson lived up to his second-round grade. He finished with seven tackles, a forced fumble and a half-sack, and if he continues to play like this he'll move up the board to the early part of the second round. He certainly played like a top-40 overall pick in this game."

He'll be gone unless someone sells him on his stock increasing enough with another year to be a potential top 10 pick.Sheldon has been outstanding all season so far. I'm not sure how we replace him next year.

Pitt Gorilla
09-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Nation's No. 1 WR, Laquon Treadwell of Crete-Monee (Ill.) will be in Columbia for the Oct. 6 game against Vanderbilt. Unofficial visit.

Still, HUGE.

BourbonMan
09-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Nation's No. 1 WR, Laquon Treadwell of Crete-Monee (Ill.) will be in Columbia for the Oct. 6 game against Vanderbilt. Unofficial visit.

Still, HUGE.

MEH...It doesn't matter, if we still have a QB who rather run than throw.

patteeu
09-25-2012, 09:20 AM
MEH...It doesn't matter, if we still have a QB who rather run than throw.

If we get the #1 receiver in the country two years in a row, it might attract interest from some of the top throwing QBs in the country. #wishfulthinking

DJ's left nut
09-25-2012, 11:02 AM
If we get the #1 receiver in the country two years in a row, it might attract interest from some of the top throwing QBs in the country. #wishfulthinking

We got a look from Gunner Kiel and ended up snagging the most prolific passer in HS football history last year.

I'd say we're already attracting interest from some of the top throwing QBs in the country, wouldn't you?

How 'bout we take DGB out of the bubble-wrap this week? Vandy shouldn't be able to apply the overwhelming pressure that's been keeping our routes short. Franklin should have time to look downfield if he wants to.

Lets send DGB on some go routes if nothing else and see if he can make a play on a ball or two. It's time to start using this kid if we have any interest in continuing to snag the high recruits. Don't think for a moment that the SEC HCs aren't going to use DGB against us in the recruiting wars if they don't start using him a little more.

patteeu
09-25-2012, 11:58 AM
We got a look from Gunner Kiel and ended up snagging the most prolific passer in HS football history last year.

I'd say we're already attracting interest from some of the top throwing QBs in the country, wouldn't you?

How 'bout we take DGB out of the bubble-wrap this week? Vandy shouldn't be able to apply the overwhelming pressure that's been keeping our routes short. Franklin should have time to look downfield if he wants to.

Lets send DGB on some go routes if nothing else and see if he can make a play on a ball or two. It's time to start using this kid if we have any interest in continuing to snag the high recruits. Don't think for a moment that the SEC HCs aren't going to use DGB against us in the recruiting wars if they don't start using him a little more.

I'm concerned that our offensive line can't block for a go route, although I'd sure like to see us try it sometime.

eazyb81
09-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Pretty obvious Franklin's shoulder is FUBAR, but our staff has no confidence in Berkstresser taking over and running the offense.

South Carolina went from a pro-style to zone read offensive scheme last year when Stephen Garcia got kicked off the team and replaced by Connor Shaw. Not sure why we can't do the reverse if Franklin really can't throw the damn ball beyond 5 yards.