PDA

View Full Version : MU ***Official 2012-13 Mizzou football repository thread***

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

ChiTown
12-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Jamone Boyd to the Cats - probably a sign and place

Saul Good
12-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Royce Boehm, Ramirez's coach, confirmed that Mizzou pulled their offer to Nick.

Dr. Gigglepants
12-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Wow, can't believe Boyd still got to go somewhere after that shit a couple weeks ago. And the fact that Ramirez tied his sail to that ship tells me something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saul Good
12-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow, can't believe Boyd still got to go somewhere after that shit a couple weeks ago. And the fact that Ramirez tied his sail to that ship tells me something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Boyd will sign and place. I don't think he ever playsa down for KSU. KSU was the only offer Ramirez had left according to Boehm.

PackerinMo
12-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Its time for Pinkel to go, the program has been crumbling under him for some time now. If Missouri wants any chance to compete in the SEC it will have to be with a better coach. I know Pinkel brought the program up but when you think about it anyone he beat he was supposed to beat. His record in big games is abysmal and now he has a big game almost every week. Its time for the school to move on, its for the best.

kepp
12-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Its time for Pinkel to go, the program has been crumbling under him for some time now. If Missouri wants any chance to compete in the SEC it will have to be with a better coach. I know Pinkel brought the program up but when you think about it anyone he beat he was supposed to beat. His record in big games is abysmal and now he has a big game almost every week. Its time for the school to move on, its for the best.

I agree, but he'll get this year as a grace period due to staff changes. We'll see what happens after next season.

duncan_idaho
12-14-2012, 02:34 PM

And that will happen next year, if he doesn't turn it around.

Best outcome probably would have been Pinkel deciding to retire now, but that didn't happen. And honestly, trying to swim through the available coaching ranks this year against some of the competition would have been tough.

When Pinkel decided he wanted to come back, it put Alden in a tough situation. I'm not Alden's biggest fan, traditionally, but I agree with the decision to give Pinkel a chance to fix it. That is going to pay off when Alden is hiring Pinkel's replacement.

Alden's next hire will be incredibly critical. Pinkel is the best coach Missouri has had in 50 years (2001-current vs. 1959-1969 from Dan Devine). This is not, despite many thoughts, an easy job. The honest fact is that, no matter what, Missouri is ALWAYS going to be staring up at Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M and Tennessee when it comes to facilities, money in the program, etc. It currently is staring up at South Carolina and Arkansas, too.

This is the 8th-10th best job in a 14-team league, with upside that tops out at 7th or 8th best. To be more than what Pinkel was able to achieve prior to this year - consistent top 25-30 program (not talking about poll rankings - talking about wins, consistency, etc) - Missouri is going to need a truly elite coach. Those aren't exactly growing on trees.

I think it's easy to criticize Pinkel (something that he has made easier in the past year - honestly, I think he's lost some fire, some edge). But I think it's also easy to lose perspective and just think of him as an incompetent dummy.

I'm not saying this to excuse or apologize for Pinkel. His staff is at a crossroads and has a big hill to climb to prove it can turn it around (especially if he stays internal for the OC position).

I'm saying this because - to get back to my point in the third paragraph - Alden would have been in a tough spot if he forced Pinkel out or fired him after one losing season.

From an outside perspective, to a potential coaching hire, if Pinkel is fired, that's a warning sign. What does Alden say if asked:

"The guy I'd be replacing is the most successful coach at your school in 50 years. He's third on your all time wins list. And you fired him after one bad season that was devastated by injuries. Entering that season, his program had more games than all but a handful of programs.How do I know you won't do the same to me?"

Alden is giving Pinkel a chance to right the ship his way. That's an indicator of a good athletic director. By all indications, Pinkel has called in all his chips and is betting it all on the 2013 season. He's got no markers or political capital left.

He just went all in and got called. He's standing up and turning the cards over. Time will tell if he's holding pocket aces, Ace-Jack suited, a straight draw, or trash.

Pitt Gorilla
12-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Posted via Mobile DeviceThere is zero chance that Boyd can get into a school, even KSU.

WilliamTheIrish
12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
There is zero chance that Boyd can get into a school, even KSU.

Manhattan Christian College: Where dreams are made.

Chocolate Hog
12-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Manhattan Christian College: Where dreams are made.

Is that the rifle/bible school?

ChiTown
12-14-2012, 03:29 PM
There is zero chance that Boyd can get into a school, even KSU.

http://i.cnn.net/si/2003/basketball/ncaa/08/24/bc.bkc.missouri.clemons.ap/lg_clemons_ap.jpg

Prison Bitch
12-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Why should they move on from him? Pinkel was an ardent supporter of the (now disastrous) move to SEC football. It seems odd you'd move on from him a year after he was so instrumental in making such a huge decision for the University.

They need to allow him enough time to prove his viewpoint on the move. 1 year is not enough.

Saul Good
12-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Why should they move on from him? Pinkel was an ardent supporter of the (now disastrous) move to SEC football. It seems odd you'd move on from him a year after he was so instrumental in making such a huge decision for the University.

They need to allow him enough time to prove his viewpoint on the move. 1 year is not enough.

How was the move disasterous?

Prison Bitch
12-14-2012, 04:08 PM
How was the move disasterous?

Fair point. 2-6 isn't disastrous by MU standards. I misspoke.

Saul Good
12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Fair point. 2-6 isn't disastrous by MU standards. I misspoke.

You seem to be saying that Mizzou going 2-6 is evidence that the SEC move was a bad choice...yet you also claim that the Big 12 is a tougher conference.

Sully
12-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Losing Ramirez sucks. I think he's going to be a good college player.

I know the Mizzou coaches have long considered this a great in-state LB class and that's why they filled over their real need in this class (took 3 when they really wanted two). Hard to hold a spot in this class at that position, so once Ramirez started looking around, the writing was on the wall (Andy Hill and Pinkel have been spending a lot of time in the KC area checking in on JUCO DTs, DT Maliek Collins, OT Clay Rhodes - but no mention of checking in on Ramirez).

I'd imagine if either Burkett or Biesel had done the same thing as Ramirez, we'd be having the same conversation about them.

It worries me a bit that Missouri was taking 3 LBs in this class, all of whom project as MLB (Biesel for sure - and Burkett is a classic tampa 2 MLB). That's how you end up in situations where a guy like Andrew Wilson is playing in space all the time, against WRs.

There is no wiggle room for Pinkel and staff. They must turn some of the recruiting around. And they must turn the 2013 season around from where it was.

Yost and Hill were in KC the last week of the reg HS season. On Thursday night they were at Staley, on Friday, I saw Yost at LSW, along with Mauk, Boehm, and another player, but didn't see Hill, though he may have been there.

PackerinMo
12-14-2012, 06:38 PM
And that will happen next year, if he doesn't turn it around.

Best outcome probably would have been Pinkel deciding to retire now, but that didn't happen. And honestly, trying to swim through the available coaching ranks this year against some of the competition would have been tough.

When Pinkel decided he wanted to come back, it put Alden in a tough situation. I'm not Alden's biggest fan, traditionally, but I agree with the decision to give Pinkel a chance to fix it. That is going to pay off when Alden is hiring Pinkel's replacement.

Alden's next hire will be incredibly critical. Pinkel is the best coach Missouri has had in 50 years (2001-current vs. 1959-1969 from Dan Devine). This is not, despite many thoughts, an easy job. The honest fact is that, no matter what, Missouri is ALWAYS going to be staring up at Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Texas A&M and Tennessee when it comes to facilities, money in the program, etc. It currently is staring up at South Carolina and Arkansas, too.

This is the 8th-10th best job in a 14-team league, with upside that tops out at 7th or 8th best. To be more than what Pinkel was able to achieve prior to this year - consistent top 25-30 program (not talking about poll rankings - talking about wins, consistency, etc) - Missouri is going to need a truly elite coach. Those aren't exactly growing on trees.

I think it's easy to criticize Pinkel (something that he has made easier in the past year - honestly, I think he's lost some fire, some edge). But I think it's also easy to lose perspective and just think of him as an incompetent dummy.

I'm not saying this to excuse or apologize for Pinkel. His staff is at a crossroads and has a big hill to climb to prove it can turn it around (especially if he stays internal for the OC position).

I'm saying this because - to get back to my point in the third paragraph - Alden would have been in a tough spot if he forced Pinkel out or fired him after one losing season.

From an outside perspective, to a potential coaching hire, if Pinkel is fired, that's a warning sign. What does Alden say if asked:

"The guy I'd be replacing is the most successful coach at your school in 50 years. He's third on your all time wins list. And you fired him after one bad season that was devastated by injuries. Entering that season, his program had more games than all but a handful of programs.How do I know you won't do the same to me?"

Alden is giving Pinkel a chance to right the ship his way. That's an indicator of a good athletic director. By all indications, Pinkel has called in all his chips and is betting it all on the 2013 season. He's got no markers or political capital left.

He just went all in and got called. He's standing up and turning the cards over. Time will tell if he's holding pocket aces, Ace-Jack suited, a straight draw, or trash.

Great post and I totally agree. Everyone needs to face facts this school will never be a National Championship contender, they just don't have the tradition on their side, college isn't like the pros where you can be total crap one year and then slowly build yourself into a dynasty with the right moves. You pretty much are what you are, the best you could hope for is for an SEC title game one day and a 10-2 record. Missouri doesn't bring in the big time money that schools like Alabama and Notre Dame do, etc. And they don't get the big bad boy recruits like the traditional powers do. However you have to expect better than 5-7. Its not just the onfield product thats pissed me off, I'm sick of reading about Missouri football players getting arrested. Pinkel is clearly losing control in the disciplinary aspect of the program and that should not be tolerated. Give him one more year but if they don't at least make a bowl game he needs to hit the bricks.

Prison Bitch
12-14-2012, 07:34 PM
You seem to be saying that Mizzou going 2-6 is evidence that the SEC move was a bad choice...yet you also claim that the Big 12 is a tougher conference.

You seem to be saying that the SEC is the better conference (which obviously is why you stunk) and that for some odd reason you prefer being 2-6 in the SEC than being competitive.

Saul Good
12-14-2012, 07:39 PM
You seem to be saying that the SEC is the better conference (which obviously is why you stunk) and that for some odd reason you like being 2-6 better than being competitive.

I don't think being in a different conference caused us to suck. Sucking caused us to suck. We might have won another game or two in the Big 12, but big deal. The best players in the country want to play in the SEC. Mizzou is going to be just fine. Kansas fans, on the other hand, should worry about Kansas. When you don't beat a single D-1 team, and the season is called an IMPROVEMENT, you've taken suck to a new level.

Prison Bitch
12-14-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't think being in a different conference caused us to suck. Sucking caused us to suck. We might have won another game or two in the Big 12, but big deal. The best players in the country want to play in the SEC. Mizzou is going to be just fine. Kansas fans, on the other hand, should worry about Kansas. When you don't beat a single D-1 team, and the season is called an IMPROVEMENT, you've taken suck to a new level.

Keep deluding yourself you might won "another game or two" in the Big 12. You were 9th in the Sagarin's among Big 12 teams. Even behind Iowa State. By that metric, you were looking at a 1-8 record had you stayed.

It's possible you could've beaten Tech (#27) or TCU (26) or WVU (28) in Columbia. But then, you lost to Vandy (31) there so even that's doubtful.

Saul Good
12-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Keep deluding yourself you might won "another game or two" in the Big 12. You were 9th in the Sagarin's among Big 12 teams. Even behind Iowa State. By that metric, you were looking at a 1-8 record had you stayed.

It's possible you could've beaten Tech (#27) or TCU (26) or WVU (28) in Columbia. But then, you lost to Vandy (31) there so even that's doubtful.

So we're back to the conference switch having nothing to do with anything. Why was it a disaster, then? You seem to be arguing with yourself. Given how fucking dumb you are, I guess it's hard to blame you.

DeezNutz
12-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Going to the SEC was, definitively, the correct move. Not even close.

We appreciate the concern and angst of other fans, though.

Saul Good
12-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Going to the SEC was, definitively, the correct move. Not even close.

We appreciate the concern and angst of other fans, though.

The don't care about Mizzou. /F5 F5 F5

Pitt Gorilla
12-14-2012, 08:24 PM

They need to allow him enough time to prove his viewpoint on the move. 1 year is not enough.Did you support KU's disastrous decision to stay in the Big 12-4+2?

Prison Bitch
12-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Did you support KU's disastrous decision to stay in the Big 12-4+2?

How has it been disastrous? The Big 12 is great for KU. We get to leech off the TV contract that the football schools like Texas and OU create for us, while keeping our own Tier III revenue from our basketball inventory. We'll make $28M next year in the conference, so we'd take a pay cut to go elsewhere.

Plus, the Big 12 super-secretly went behind the scenes to give KU that undeserved Orange Bowl bid. So they got our backs.

Pitt Gorilla
12-14-2012, 08:36 PM
How has it been disastrous? The Big 12 is great for KU. We get to leech off the TV contract that the football schools like Texas and OU create for us, while keeping our own Tier III revenue from our basketball inventory. We'll make $28M next year in the conference, so we'd take a pay cut to go elsewhere.

Plus, the Big 12 super-secretly went behind the scenes to give KU that undeserved Orange Bowl bid. So they got our backs.Are you basing great vs. disaster on football wins or money? Serious question.

Prison Bitch
12-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Are you basing great vs. disaster on football wins or money? Serious question.

We weren't winning games in any BCS conference last year so I'm not sure what your question is.

Pitt Gorilla
12-14-2012, 08:43 PM
We weren't winning games in any BCS conference last year so I'm not sure what your question is.Per you, Mizzou made a mistake because of their record. Per you, KU loves the Big whatever due to money.

Shouldn't you at least feign consistency?

Saul Good
12-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Per you, Mizzou made a mistake because of their record. Per you, KU loves the Big whatever due to money.

Shouldn't you at least feign consistency?

You're asking the guy who says he doesn't care about Mizzou while posting in this thread 5x as often as he posts in the KU thread to be consistent?

mnchiefsguy
12-15-2012, 10:10 PM

Plus, the Big 12 super-secretly went behind the scenes to give KU that undeserved Orange Bowl bid. So they got our backs.

If this post does not prove Prison Bitch is in fact Wickedson, I don't know what will. You do know that you are the only one who gives a shit about Tier 3 revenue, right?

DJ's left nut
12-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Lots of smoke in Columbia about promoting Henson to OC.

Fuck. Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck.

If its really Henson, I hope they crater so we can broom this bitch. This cronyism shit has to go.

Henson is in no way, shape or form qualified to be a D1 OC.

Mizzou_8541
12-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Lots of smoke in Columbia about promoting Henson to OC.

****. ********************.

If its really Henson, I hope they crater so we can broom this bitch. This cronyism shit has to go.

Henson is in no way, shape or form qualified to be a D1 OC.

Wow, that is disappointing. So much for the "national search."

Reaper16
12-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Wow, they'd promote Henson to OC just to save some OL recruits (by keeping him in CoMo and out of Hattiesburg)? That's desperate, and suggestive that Pinkel doesn't have what it takes to win in the SEC. Once again, his loyalty is his biggest undoing.

Ebolapox
12-16-2012, 01:30 PM
well, fuck. shouldn't be surprised--teams that I love HAVE to suck. not getting season tickets next year, this kinda clinches it.

duncan_idaho
12-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Wow, that is disappointing. So much for the "national search."

They offered big money to both Tedford (from what I hear) and Chaney. Neither bit. You can't make a guy take a job.

I'm not crazy about Henson as OC, but what can you do as a fan?

Pinkel will either make it work and be in Columbia after next season, or it won't and he'll be gone.

I would imagine that a Henson-coordinated offense would look more different from Yost's than a Hill-coordinated one. Henson's experience is from a different spread system, and the ideas he's been able to bring so far (narrowed line splits, guards in 3-point stance, zone blocking scheme) have been a positive for the team overall.

It's possible more of that comes into play with him calling the shots. That's the best case scenario/what you have to hope for, I think.

Mizzou_8541
12-16-2012, 05:08 PM
They offered big money to both Tedford (from what I hear) and Chaney. Neither bit. You can't make a guy take a job.

I'm not crazy about Henson as OC, but what can you do as a fan?

Pinkel will either make it work and be in Columbia after next season, or it won't and he'll be gone.

I would imagine that a Henson-coordinated offense would look more different from Yost's than a Hill-coordinated one. Henson's experience is from a different spread system, and the ideas he's been able to bring so far (narrowed line splits, guards in 3-point stance, zone blocking scheme) have been a positive for the team overall.

It's possible more of that comes into play with him calling the shots. That's the best case scenario/what you have to hope for, I think.

While you are probably right, and certainly much more rational than I...could there be a less-inspiring hire than our co-offensive line coach?

Reaper16
12-16-2012, 05:16 PM
It could be a fine hire. I won't pretend to know much about Henson as an offensive mind. As a Chiefs fan, I'm too close to the Mike Solari OC days to look favorably upon a guy moving from OL coach to OC.

bowener
12-16-2012, 05:28 PM
While you are probably right, and certainly much more rational than I...could there be a less-inspiring hire than our co-offensive line coach?

Brian Daboll.

duncan_idaho
12-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Oh, sure there could. I like Henson over Hill because I think it gives you your best chance to evolve the offense more.

There are worse guys out there.Also, if they do something dumb like hiring Jason Ray as the WR coach, that would be less inspiring (only way this works out AT ALL is if they bring in at least one Tiger's blood recruiter)

Henson better be as good as Pinkel thinks he is. That's the only way this works out.

PackerinMo
12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
lol Predictable Pinkel. What a stubborn SOB. This insures that you will finally get the boot, can't wait.

duncan_idaho
12-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Updated the OP a bit. Few more offers (appear at the bottom of the "Key Offers" list).

Bradley and Johnson are the flashy names left, but the late pushes that are being made are for quality players with nice offer lists.

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2012, 11:15 AM
There's a possibility (whether it's been talked about or not - I'm unaware) that Florida could be interested in Quick. Florida would like to add another WR to its class and Joker Phillips is now the WR coach at Florida.

duncan_idaho
12-19-2012, 11:21 AM
There's a possibility (whether it's been talked about or not - I'm unaware) that Florida could be interested in Quick. Florida would like to add another WR to its class and Joker Phillips is now the WR coach at Florida.

Yeah, not sure where Missouri sits there. Know he has interest, but I also know Ohio State and Florida are interested, too. Florida seems like a fairly recent development (like maybe he was being slow-played earlier).

DaKCMan AP
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Yeah, not sure where Missouri sits there. Know he has interest, but I also know Ohio State and Florida are interested, too. Florida seems like a fairly recent development (like maybe he was being slow-played earlier).

Yeah it would be very recent interest. Florida likely slow-played him and wasn't interested until 1) Joker Phillips was hired as WR coach and 2) Demarcus Robinson decommitted from Clemson, committed to Florida, and then committed back to Clemson a few days later.

Off topic, but 2014 QB Will Grier just committed to Florida. PBJ He was (arguably) the #1 target for UF's 2014 class.

duncan_idaho
12-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Yeah it would be very recent interest. Florida likely slow-played him and wasn't interested until 1) Joker Phillips was hired as WR coach and 2) Demarcus Robinson decommitted from Clemson, committed to Florida, and then committed back to Clemson a few days later.

Yeah.

Honestly, I'm not that concerned about WR in this class. I like Quick and he'd be a nice, flashy addition to the class because of his ranking and offers.

But I'd much rather seem them use the spot on a quality player at a position of higher need (DT, OL, DB).

I'm most concerned about recruiting for the secondary. That's where the biggest upgrade is needed, IMO (Need to have enough good players to be able to go into a dime package - which means 7-8 guys you feel comfortable playing).

They don't have any DBs committed, but there are four ATHs. I know Donavohn Jones and Aarion Penton are slotted for S and CB, respectively (Penton is very EJ Gaines-esque, IMO). Not sure about Anthony Sherrils (could be CB or WR).

And Chase Abbington is a real question. He wants to play RB/offense and likely starts there. But he definitely looks like the type of S they need to add to improve. Big, strong, fast enough to be nasty against the run or in coverage.

I'd love to see them adopt a 3 CB, 3 S dime package, with someone like Abbington being used out of the slot like they have done in the past with William Moore, etc. (though those were out of nickel looks). It would greatly improve pass coverage (and options) vs. having a second linebacker lined up over a slot. And probably not be a significant drawback against a spread run attack.

O.city
12-19-2012, 12:07 PM
So I'm looking at CB's for a mock draft and I figured you guys could help, who was MU's best CB this year? I remember seeing him flash alot but can't remember his name.

duncan_idaho
12-19-2012, 12:14 PM
So I'm looking at CB's for a mock draft and I figured you guys could help, who was MU's best CB this year? I remember seeing him flash alot but can't remember his name.

EJ Gaines?

He's a junior and not expected to enter the draft.

O.city
12-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Got it thanks.

BourbonMan
01-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Missouri announced the final piece to its 2013 football schedule Wednesday, adding a two-game series with Arkansas State.
The Tigers will play Arkansas State on Sept. 28 in Columbia and at Jonesboro, Ark., on Sept. 12, 2015.
The Red Wolves are coming off a 10-3 season and Sun Belt Conference championship. MU has won the two previous games in the series, including a 44-17 win at Arrowhead Stadium in 2005.
Missouri will play four nonconference games in 2013. The Tigers open the season Aug. 31 against Murray State at Memorial Stadium, then play Toledo at home on Sept. 7. They have the next week off before playing at Indiana on Sept. 21 before returning home to close out the nonconference season against Arkansas State.
Missouri’s first two Southeastern Conference games are on the road, at Vanderbilt on Oct. 5 and Georgia on Oct. 12. The Tigers return home to play Florida (Oct. 19), South Carolina on Homecoming (Oct. 26) and Tennessee (Nov. 2), then travel to Kentucky (Nov. 9) and Mississippi (Nov. 23). Missouri closes out the regular season at home on Nov. 30 against Texas A&M.
Season-ticket information will be released in late February and kickoff times will be announced at a later date.
Copyright 2013 The Kansas City Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/30/4039424/mu-adds-game-with-arkansas-state.html#storylink=cpy

DJ's left nut
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Just a quick reminder about Mizzou football: It's a !@#$ing disaster at the moment.

We can't even keep the *** recruits anymore. DeMariya Mixon decommitted last weekend and is probably going to Nebraska now.

Glad to see Pinkel really seized the momentum from the switch to the SEC. Nice job, Gary.

I hope they just bottom the !@#$ out this season so they can start from scratch.

OmahaChief
02-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Just a quick reminder about Mizzou football: It's a !@#$ing disaster at the moment.

We can't even keep the *** recruits anymore. DeMariya Mixon decommitted last weekend and is probably going to Nebraska now.

Glad to see Pinkel really seized the momentum from the switch to the SEC. Nice job, Gary.

I hope they just bottom the !@#$ out this season so they can start from scratch.

That's what I am hoping for at this point as well. The recruiting is going to kill us if we keep Pinkel around. Dude cannot even keep the good talent in his own state. Everyone says...well we got DGB last year. Big deal that is one guy. I would trade that one high level guy to keep the other 3 or 4 that got away. They also seem to have no idea how to recruit Texas now. Other schools recruit Texas just fine that are not in the Big 12 but we keep hearing how much that has hurt us. Sounds more like an excuse to me.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
That's what I am hoping for at this point as well. The recruiting is going to kill us if we keep Pinkel around. Dude cannot even keep the good talent in his own state. Everyone says...well we got DGB last year. Big deal that is one guy. I would trade that one high level guy to keep the other 3 or 4 that got away. They also seem to have no idea how to recruit Texas now. Other schools recruit Texas just fine that are not in the Big 12 but we keep hearing how much that has hurt us. Sounds more like an excuse to me.

This class looks a lot like the 2011 class; just nothing to it. A bunch of *** guys isn't going to cut it down there.

duncan_idaho
02-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Missouri's biggest problem is that it is carrying a bunch of guys who are average-at-best recruiters who don't seem to work all that hard.

Andy Hill is a stud. Works his a$$ off in KC and also helps out the other guys a lot, as well as being the primary JUCO guy and a secondary rural MO guy.

Cornell Ford (St. Louis) and Josh Henson are OK. Both have good reps, but I wouldn't call either a spectacular recruiter. Ford has a lot of big wins, but he also has lost some St. Louis guys by not recruiting hard from the get-go (Case in point: EE. They thought they had some cushion with him because of his roots and focused elsewhere early. Ooops)

Beyond that?

Brian Smith and Bruce Walker are below-average to awful reruiters. Nice, boring guys that are never in on more than 2-3 kids a year. They're also average at best coaches. Real minuses on this staff, in my opinion.

It looks like Pinkel's nephew might fall in that category as well.

The new WR coach, Pat Washington, I think it's too early to tell. He has a decent background, but who knows?

Also, "fun" tidbit I heard recently... they liked a former player for the vacant WR job. He was ready to leave his previous job... turned it down to accept a job with the TSF making like $25k a year. Encouraging... :doh!:

duncan_idaho
02-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Oh, also, Jamone Boyd got arrested... again. This time for burglary.

Will be interesting to see if he and Ramirez ever play a snap for KSU.

DJ's left nut
02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
The entire staff needs to be broomed. If they can retain Hill, so be it. But Henson's whole appeal was his ability to make inroads into the South and recruit down there...he's done crap. I've thought pretty highly of Ford, but this is about to be 2 below average classes out of 3 and Ford's misses have had a big part in that.

It's just a bad staff at this point. Steckel's probably about average at his job, Hill us very good. Apart from that, they don't have a coach on this squad that would be difficult to replace. There aren't any Christensen's. Hell, there aren't any Barry Odom's. It's just a bunch of guys that are tight with Pinkel and are average or worse at their jobs.

It's a bad staff with an unimaginative leader and that's just not going to work anymore.

duncan_idaho
02-04-2013, 05:44 PM
I left out Craig Kuligiowski, which is unfair. He's a good recruiter and great DL coach.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2013, 02:31 PM
So does the Dontre Wilson to Ohio State thing make us a dark horse for EE again?

Hearing anything?

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 02:49 PM
So does the Dontre Wilson to Ohio State thing make us a dark horse for EE again?

Hearing anything?

I think there's a decent chance. Awful lot of noise from the family of late - after nothing at all for 18 months - about it being a race.

I know OSU feels like he is sealed up, but EE's dad is creating an awful lot of hope for his alma mater if that's the case.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I think there's a decent chance. Awful lot of noise from the family of late - after nothing at all for 18 months - about it being a race.

I know OSU feels like he is sealed up, but EE's dad is creating an awful lot of hope for his alma mater if that's the case.

He re-tweeted a Mizzou post about how all the OU fans banging on MU right now are also making fun of his parents and looking kinda dickish.

It was an odd thing to re-tweet if you're not thinking hard about Mizzou.

It would still make this a sub-par class (afterall, we're still dying in the trenches and the secondary, IMO), but it would help ease the sting a little.

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 03:22 PM
He re-tweeted a Mizzou post about how all the OU fans banging on MU right now are also making fun of his parents and looking kinda dickish.

It was an odd thing to re-tweet if you're not thinking hard about Mizzou.

It would still make this a sub-par class (afterall, we're still dying in the trenches and the secondary, IMO), but it would help ease the sting a little.

Losing Donavohn Jones today was disappointing. I thought he had a shot to be an excellent safety. The JUCO safety, Duron Singleton, is likely to commit tomorrow and is the best JUCO S in the country, according to JUCO Junction.

I am worried about the secondary recruiting, though I think Aarion Penton is going to be a good CB.

Trenches... losing Jake Campos hurts. Clay Rhodes is going to be really good, I think. Gill should be serviceable. Sounds like they have an OK shot to land the former Florida OL commit from Georgia (friends with Printz).

DL... if Augusta and Antar Thompson can qualify, that's a strong pairing in the middle in this class. Losing DiMariya Mixon hurts a lot, because he already is a bigger guy and can be a great big DE or penetrating DT.

If they close, best-case scenario....

RB Ezekiel Elliott
S Duron Singleton
OL Josh Outlaw

This can be an ACCEPTABLE class (one that's good enough to help you stay in the 7-8 win range). The opportunity was there for this to be a foundation class that helped establish something better than that, and missing on it hurts a lot.

OmahaChief
02-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Losing Donavohn Jones today was disappointing. I thought he had a shot to be an excellent safety. The JUCO safety, Duron Singleton, is likely to commit tomorrow and is the best JUCO S in the country, according to JUCO Junction.

I am worried about the secondary recruiting, though I think Aarion Penton is going to be a good CB.

Trenches... losing Jake Campos hurts. Clay Rhodes is going to be really good, I think. Gill should be serviceable. Sounds like they have an OK shot to land the former Florida OL commit from Georgia (friends with Printz).

DL... if Augusta and Antar Thompson can qualify, that's a strong pairing in the middle in this class. Losing DiMariya Mixon hurts a lot, because he already is a bigger guy and can be a great big DE or penetrating DT.

RB Ezekiel Elliott
S Duron Singleton
OL Josh Outlaw

This can be an ACCEPTABLE class (one that's good enough to help you stay in the 7-8 win range). The opportunity was there for this to be a foundation class that helped establish something better than that, and missing on it hurts a lot.

Acceptable is a bit of a stretch for me. We got no bump with the SEC level kids from entering that league. The season killed us and having Pinkel as a HC seems to be sucking the life out of this team. Just my opinion. I think kids have heard he could be a lame duck and it does not help that he has reverted a bit back to the ahole Gary we used to know.

I hate to use this word but there appears to be no swag around our Football team at all.

OmahaChief
02-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Missouri's biggest problem is that it is carrying a bunch of guys who are average-at-best recruiters who don't seem to work all that hard.

Andy Hill is a stud. Works his a$$ off in KC and also helps out the other guys a lot, as well as being the primary JUCO guy and a secondary rural MO guy.

Cornell Ford (St. Louis) and Josh Henson are OK. Both have good reps, but I wouldn't call either a spectacular recruiter. Ford has a lot of big wins, but he also has lost some St. Louis guys by not recruiting hard from the get-go (Case in point: EE. They thought they had some cushion with him because of his roots and focused elsewhere early. Ooops)

Beyond that?

Brian Smith and Bruce Walker are below-average to awful reruiters. Nice, boring guys that are never in on more than 2-3 kids a year. They're also average at best coaches. Real minuses on this staff, in my opinion.

It looks like Pinkel's nephew might fall in that category as well.

The new WR coach, Pat Washington, I think it's too early to tell. He has a decent background, but who knows?

Also, "fun" tidbit I heard recently... they liked a former player for the vacant WR job. He was ready to leave his previous job... turned it down to accept a job with the TSF making like $25k a year. Encouraging... :doh!:

Great post.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2013, 03:42 PM

RB Ezekiel Elliott
S Duron Singleton
OL Josh Outlaw

They lost Jones, too?

Jesus. Just get tomorrow done already. There hasn't been a single shred of good news since the clock hit 0:00 in the Syracuse game.

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 03:47 PM
Acceptable is a bit of a stretch for me. We got no bump with the SEC level kids from entering that league. The season killed us and having Pinkel as a HC seems to be sucking the life out of this team. Just my opinion. I think kids have heard he could be a lame duck and it does not help that he has reverted a bit back to the ahole Gary we used to know.

I hate to use this word but there appears to be no swag around our Football team at all.

When I say "ACCEPTABLE" I mean, barely, skin-of-your-teeth, acceptable. As in, not a program killer or one that moves your program backwards. It's also not a program that moves you forward unless you get really lucky with several guys (look at the 2006 class - think it ended up ranking No. 41 overall but re-ranks would have placed it in the top 10).

It's a shame, really, that Pinkel is not willing to be really cutthroat with guys like Brian Jones and Bruce Walker and Dave Christensen. His stubborn loyalty to them prevented him from taking his program to the next level.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
When I say "ACCEPTABLE" I mean, barely, skin-of-your-teeth, acceptable. As in, not a program killer or one that moves your program backwards. It's also not a program that moves you forward unless you get really lucky with several guys (look at the 2006 class - think it ended up ranking No. 41 overall but re-ranks would have placed it in the top 10).

It's a shame, really, that Pinkel is not willing to be really cutthroat with guys like Brian Jones and Bruce Walker and Dave Christensen. His stubborn loyalty to them prevented him from taking his program to the next level.

Not a Christensen fan?

What do you know about him that I don't? I really view him as the architect of the offense that did so much to move Mizzou to the cusp of...well not quite greatness, but really damn goodness.

I wouldn't have seen loyalty to him as being damaging at all, let alone as damaging as loyalty to guys like Eberflous and Yost.

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Not a Christensen fan?

What do you know about him that I don't? I really view him as the architect of the offense that did so much to move Mizzou to the cusp of...well not quite greatness, but really damn goodness.

I wouldn't have seen loyalty to him as being damaging at all, let alone as damaging as loyalty to guys like Eberflous and Yost.

Mental slip. I meant Matt Eberflus.

Christensen was fine as a recruiter and a pretty strong coach.

Eberflus was another fvcking disaster, like Walker, Jones and it looks like Grinch is going to be.

Terrible coach and a nothing recruiter.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Missouri's success was built upon finding diamonds in the rough. Alexander, Weatherspoon, Moore, and Egnew were all 2* players, for example. When this staff's ability to find those diamonds dried up, so did our ability to replace our NFL quality talent.

A competent staff would have used those diamonds to move up and start selecting players that are consensus solid recruits. That's what Patterson and Peterson have done at TCU and Boise. It's what Gonzaga did to build their BB program. Instead, Pinkel's staff's recruiting has made half-assed plays at targets they were never going to get and let a number of quality players slip through their grasp.

This team is going to be in atrocious shape in about three years. Early 90s bad.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Missouri's success was built upon finding diamonds in the rough. Alexander, Weatherspoon, Moore, and Egnew were all 2* players, for example. When this staff's ability to find those diamonds dried up, so did our ability to replace our NFL quality talent.

A competent staff would have used those diamonds to move up and start selecting players that are consensus solid recruits. That's what Patterson and Peterson have done at TCU and Boise. It's what Gonzaga did to build their BB program. Instead, Pinkel's staff's recruiting has made half-assed plays at targets they were never going to get and let a number of quality players slip through their grasp.

This team is going to be in atrocious shape in about three years. Early 90s bad.

I don't really think so.

Look at it this way - any SEC program is going to be at/near the head of the line when it comes to most HC options. Arkansas just took a HC from a program that had consecutive BCS appearances, FFS.

There is no excuse for an SEC school to not get a top 30 coach in the country on their staff. And Mizzou, even though they're flagging right now, can point to a recent history of success as well as a lot of money that's been donated and allocated towards improvements in facilities, etc...

And Mizzou is still the only football school in a pretty good sized state (there isn't a more populous state in the country with only 1 'flagship' university).

Pinkel's gone if he doesn't get a bowl this year...and he ain't getting into a bowl this year. So once we send these guys packing, we should be in a position to get a nice staff in here and hopefully have an off-season like Arkansas just had.

Nah, I don't see us falling to early 90's bad. But I don't see us getting much better than where we are right now for quite some time.

Chocolate Hog
02-05-2013, 04:10 PM
This is a great thread because some of you Mizzou guys really know your shit when it comes to recruiting.

How hard did Mizzou go after Maliek Collins? I really like that kids explosiveness.

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 04:26 PM

I think part of the lack of true "diamonds" in recent years is that Missouri's name is given a lot of respect by the scouting agencies. So guys are pretty much automatic 3-stars when they have a Missouri offer.

A guy like EJ Gaines would have been a two-star without a Missouri offer, for example.

Lack of cutthroat recruiters on staff definitely kept them bogged in the same recruiting plan:

1) Hope Missouri has good talent and get as many MO players as possible
2) Mine secondary recruiting areas based on connections and targeting second-tier kids that don't get immediate offers from the big schools in those regions.

I don't think TCU is a very good example. This year is the first year they've been ranked higher than Mizzou in recruiting rankings, and it's not a lead that is guaranteed to hold up (for example: IF Missouri flips EE OR lands Outlaw + Singleton). Other than that, they've been staring up at Mizzou in Rivals rankings.

Boise is also not a great example. That team is stuck in the 50s and has been for years.

But that's beside the point. I agree that they didn't do a good job of expanding the recruiting base. Part of that is that guys like Walker, Jones, Eberfllus, etc. just aren't good at recruiting

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
This is a great thread because some of you Mizzou guys really know your shit when it comes to recruiting.

How hard did Mizzou go after Maliek Collins? I really like that kids explosiveness.

Pretty hard. Tried to get back in on him last week. Didn't work.

Sorter
02-05-2013, 04:35 PM
And Mizzou is still the only football school in a pretty good sized state (there isn't a more populous state in the country with only 1 'flagship' university).

MO Valley needs to go D1. ROFL

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Singleton on board according to his hometown paper.

I wouldn't be shocked if he starts at CB from Day 1 next year. Pretty good player. 247 sports loves him, don't think Rivals has scouted him much if at all.

Sorter
02-05-2013, 04:41 PM
I am surprised that Mo State hasn't tried to make the switch (AFAIK). They've had a couple guys make it to the NFL recently and it would be really nice if MO could have two D1 programs IMO.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Singleton's a nice stopgap, I s'pose. I hate having to rely on JUCO players in football, though. It takes them a season to assimilate at all and by the time you're really starting to see strides - they're gone.

DJ's left nut
02-05-2013, 04:42 PM
I am surprised that Mo State hasn't tried to make the switch (AFAIK). They've had a couple guys make it to the NFL recently and it would be really nice if MO could have two D1 programs IMO.

Why? So Missouri could become the Iowa State of the SEC?

No thanks. We suck badly enough without any in-state competition.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I think part of the lack of true "diamonds" in recent years is that Missouri's name is given a lot of respect by the scouting agencies. So guys are pretty much automatic 3-stars when they have a Missouri offer.

A guy like EJ Gaines would have been a two-star without a Missouri offer, for example.

Lack of cutthroat recruiters on staff definitely kept them bogged in the same recruiting plan:

1) Hope Missouri has good talent and get as many MO players as possible
2) Mine secondary recruiting areas based on connections and targeting second-tier kids that don't get immediate offers from the big schools in those regions.

I don't think TCU is a very good example. This year is the first year they've been ranked higher than Mizzou in recruiting rankings, and it's not a lead that is guaranteed to hold up (for example: IF Missouri flips EE OR lands Outlaw + Singleton). Other than that, they've been staring up at Mizzou in Rivals rankings.

Boise is also not a great example. That team is stuck in the 50s and has been for years.

But that's beside the point. I agree that they didn't do a good job of expanding the recruiting base. Part of that is that guys like Walker, Jones, Eberfllus, etc. just aren't good at recruiting

The point wasn't to compare Boise to Missouri as a 1:1, but to make the comparison of how programs are built. Unless you get a guy who is a tremendous recruiter and can sell pork to a Shi'ite you will need to find undervalued players to build your program. Missouri used to do that. They no longer do. Perhaps some of that is due to the prestige given by a Missouri offer, it's definitely something I hadn't considered. However, even if we assume that to be true, where are all these undervalued 3* recruits who would have been 2* that are producing at an elite level?

Josey, pre-injury, I guess. Gaines. And....??

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
The point wasn't to compare Boise to Missouri as a 1:1, but to make the comparison of how programs are built. Unless you get a guy who is a tremendous recruiter and can sell pork to a Shi'ite you will need to find undervalued players to build your program. Missouri used to do that. They no longer do. Perhaps some of that is due to the prestige given by a Missouri offer, it's definitely something I hadn't considered. However, even if we assume that to be true, where are all these undervalued 3* recruits who would have been 2* that are producing at an elite level?

Josey, pre-injury, I guess. Gaines. And....??

Mitch Morse is probably the only one who qualifies, honestly. There are some players who could be that guy but haven't seen the field enough to tell yet.

I mentioned that I thought that was only part of the change... I wouldn't argue that they haven't done as great a job finding undervalued guys recently as they were in the early years.

Bottom line, without getting into all that depressing stuff, is that they haven't done a good job improving as recruiters with improved success. And that's on Pinkel.

duncan_idaho
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Maybe they should focus on not being terrible at the FCS level before they try to jump to FBS...

Also, where does SMS go? CUSA? That conference is about to get gutted by the Big East AND is going to see its football profile significantly lowered because the new playoff system is going to concentrate even more of the big TV money on the big schools.

Sorter
02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Maybe they should focus on not being terrible at the FCS level before they try to jump to FBS...

Also, where does SMS go? CUSA? That conference is about to get gutted by the Big East AND is going to see its football profile significantly lowered because the new playoff system is going to concentrate even more of the big TV money on the big schools.

I have no idea. To be honest, I know nothing about MO ST other than they have football and produced Clay Harbor.

Oh, and I think they have hockey there. Maybe?

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 09:19 AM

RB Ezekiel Elliott
S Duron Singleton
OL Josh Outlaw

Didn't get Outlaw.

I don't think they'll get Elliott either. I just don't see how anyone would choose to come here over the chance to go play with Urban Meyer. Dontre Wilson is more of a lead back type and so Elliot can go out there and still be a Percy Harvin clone in Meyer's offense.

Or he can play for a year under Josh Henson then play for 2 years under a new OC until he finally realizes he's wasted his college career and goes pro as a Junior and gets taken in the 5th round based on athleticism alone.

This class is sucks, this staff sucks and if I were Truman the Tiger, I'd decommit and take my talents to Memphis.

duncan_idaho
02-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Didn't get Outlaw.

I don't think they'll get Elliott either. I just don't see how anyone would choose to come here over the chance to go play with Urban Meyer. Dontre Wilson is more of a lead back type and so Elliot can go out there and still be a Percy Harvin clone in Meyer's offense.

Or he can play for a year under Josh Henson then play for 2 years under a new OC until he finally realizes he's wasted his college career and goes pro as a Junior and gets taken in the 5th round based on athleticism alone.

This class is sucks, this staff sucks and if I were Truman the Tiger, I'd decommit and take my talents to Memphis.

Except Meyer has actually sold Elliott on being a lead back and is telling him that Wilson is going to be the slotback. They also have a commitment from Jalin Marshall, who was recruited as a lead back. When EE committed in April of 2012, Meyer was telling him that he'd be the only back in the class.

That, combined with the family connection, is the only thing that has Missouri in this. I'm not sure they'll flip him, but I think there's a decent chance (maybe not better than 50 percent, but it wouldn't surprise me).

The class is disappointing, no doubt. Losing Outlaw, a guy who would have made up a bit for not landing Jake Campos, sucks.

Biggest problem with this class is the way it withered after a strong start. Second-biggest is that it is small/thing. There are 6-8 guys I think are going to be pretty good/have star potential. Everybody else looks like a "Program filler" sort to me. Someone who won't kill you if they have to play, but not a star.

They need all the best guys (Abbington, Rhodes, Hosick, Singleton, Beisel, Augusta, Thompson, Elliott if he flips) to be studs. That rarely happens. And I don't see any depth that really is likely to step up and be a stud (though I think Abeln will be a very good C in Missouri's offense).

duncan_idaho
02-06-2013, 09:31 AM
BTW, Singleton is exactly the type of guy they need to fill the secondary with. Big, strong, physical, fast. Just looks the part of an SEC safety, though he apparently will get a chance to play CB, too. They need at LEAST 2-3 guys like this in every single class.

He has film on Hudl.com. Pretty impressive (NSFW music) (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/912129/highlights/19898416)

Mr_Tomahawk
02-06-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-football-recruiting-ranks-dead-last-in-sec/article_4051a16b-5506-5dfe-b384-4b16fbfc3a01.html

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Except Meyer has actually sold Elliott on being a lead back and is telling him that Wilson is going to be the slotback. They also have a commitment from Jalin Marshall, who was recruited as a lead back. When EE committed in April of 2012, Meyer was telling him that he'd be the only back in the class.

That, combined with the family connection, is the only thing that has Missouri in this. I'm not sure they'll flip him, but I think there's a decent chance (maybe not better than 50 percent, but it wouldn't surprise me).

The class is disappointing, no doubt. Losing Outlaw, a guy who would have made up a bit for not landing Jake Campos, sucks.

Biggest problem with this class is the way it withered after a strong start. Second-biggest is that it is small/thing. There are 6-8 guys I think are going to be pretty good/have star potential. Everybody else looks like a "Program filler" sort to me. Someone who won't kill you if they have to play, but not a star.

They need all the best guys (Abbington, Rhodes, Hosick, Singleton, Beisel, Augusta, Thompson, Elliott if he flips) to be studs. That rarely happens. And I don't see any depth that really is likely to step up and be a stud (though I think Abeln will be a very good C in Missouri's offense).

What's Hosick actually capable of being at this level? Are we really going to waste time trying to make the kid a quarterback?

He can't throw. If he's our QB, we're in trouble.

As to Singleton, yeah I saw his HUDL video and he looks like a good one, but we still only get 2 years of eligibility out of him.

EDIT: Deleting hudl link as you already put it up

kepp
02-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I don't see Hosick ending up as a QB. Safety maybe?

duncan_idaho
02-06-2013, 09:58 AM
What's Hosick actually capable of being at this level? Are we really going to waste time trying to make the kid a quarterback?

He can't throw. If he's our QB, we're in trouble.

As to Singleton, yeah I saw his HUDL video and he looks like a good one, but we still only get 2 years of eligibility out of him.

EDIT: Deleting hudl link as you already put it up

Hard to say with Hosick. He's coming in as a QB but Printz is, too (and I expect Maty Mauk to be the next starter, possibly as soon as 2013).

Hosick is such a beast athlete it's hard to imagine sitting him on the bench for 3 years behind Mauk. He could be a high level safety or LB. He's fast, strong, has experience playing D (early in his Staley career) and likes contact.

I could see them using Hosick at QB in some Wildcat style packages, maybe in short-yardage or goalline situations. But I expect he lands at S or LB pretty quickly. Too good an athlete to leave him sitting behind Mauk for that long.

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Hard to say with Hosick. He's coming in as a QB but Printz is, too (and I expect Maty Mauk to be the next starter, possibly as soon as 2013).

Hosick is such a beast athlete it's hard to imagine sitting him on the bench for 3 years behind Mauk. He could be a high level safety or LB. He's fast, strong, has experience playing D (early in his Staley career) and likes contact.

I could see them using Hosick at QB in some Wildcat style packages, maybe in short-yardage or goalline situations. But I expect he lands at S or LB pretty quickly. Too good an athlete to leave him sitting behind Mauk for that long.

Makes a lot of sense given our struggles in the secondary. Though with as much depth as there is in the LB corps and with as much weight as he'd have to add, LB seems less likely.

ChiefsCountry
02-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Stadium expansion for Missouri State is coming up after this year's season. New president sees football as a way to make the leap up in the world. Sun Belt has been talking with Missouri State for some time going back into the late 90's. The basketball program would have to take a hit in percepation and that is the biggest draw back among athletic department, alumni, and donors. But on the other side, they would win a lot more games and we have done pretty well in the Valley. But Creighton has one foot out the door from leaving the MVC, and the two peer schools in Illinois State and UNI are talking to the MAC. What we have heard it will be better to be with the MAC, Sun Belt types than it will be to stay in the Valley. Some changes are coming.

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 10:36 AM
On a side note: Who the !@#$ is Charles Harris?

Kid appears to just be an exceptional athlete that we threw a scholarship at late in the process and will figure out what the hell to do with him later; probably a DE and appears to have the frame and athleticism to be a pretty impressive one. He's essentially a complete unknown as he's not so much as listed on any scouting services.

I can't decide if I'm impressed by the creativity or just more pissed off by the fact that they only had 19 commits so they threw an offer at some rec league player down the street.

DMAC
02-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Stadium expansion for Missouri State is coming up after this year's season. New president sees football as a way to make the leap up in the world. Sun Belt has been talking with Missouri State for some time going back into the late 90's. The basketball program would have to take a hit in percepation and that is the biggest draw back among athletic department, alumni, and donors. But on the other side, they would win a lot more games and we have done pretty well in the Valley. But Creighton has one foot out the door from leaving the MVC, and the two peer schools in Illinois State and UNI are talking to the MAC. What we have heard it will be better to be with the MAC, Sun Belt types than it will be to stay in the Valley. Some changes are coming.

I have not heard this. Any more details on that?

Sully
02-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Makes a lot of sense given our struggles in the secondary. Though with as much depth as there is in the LB corps and with as much weight as he'd have to add, LB seems less likely.

He won't have to gain that much weight.

duncan_idaho
02-06-2013, 11:18 AM

He's already listed at 6-1/230. I'm sure he could put on an extra 5-10 pounds or so pretty quickly if they want him at OLB. And I honestly don't know if he'd play there right away or need a redshirt year to transition.

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 11:21 AM
He's already listed at 6-1/230. I'm sure he could put on an extra 5-10 pounds or so pretty quickly if they want him at OLB. And I honestly don't know if he'd play there right away or need a redshirt year to transition.

230? Oh c'mon - no way.

I'd buy 210-215, but there's no way I see that kid being 230 lbs.

But I think you're right about a target weight - if he can hit 240, he's certainly big enough to play OLB at that point. Heck, 230 would be sufficient.

I just don't think there's a chance he's sitting at 230 as we speak.

duncan_idaho
02-06-2013, 11:57 AM
230? Oh c'mon - no way.

I'd buy 210-215, but there's no way I see that kid being 230 lbs.

But I think you're right about a target weight - if he can hit 240, he's certainly big enough to play OLB at that point. Heck, 230 would be sufficient.

I just don't think there's a chance he's sitting at 230 as we speak.

I know he wrestled last season at 215-217 (and whipped Evan Boehm, BTW). He didn't wrestle this year, obviously (as it's wrestling season now and he's at Mizzou already), so I could believe he's around that.

It's been 9 months since he needed to cut weight for wrestling.

ChiefsCountry
02-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I have not heard this. Any more details on that?

Moats announced it on Art Hains show. Moats normally denies everything but came out and said it. Removing the track is the first then rebuilding the east side of Plaster. Suppose to be mixed retail, classrooms and bleachers.

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Linky:

http://www.ksdk.com/video/live/default.aspx

Announcement in minutes...

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Nope - OSU.

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Can we go ahead and fire Pinkel now?

How 'bout now?

C'mon folks, we're burning daylight here. Any minute we spend not mercy-killling this coaching staff is one minute we spend descending further into abject mediocrity...on a good year.

Eat dicks, Pinkel and staff. You guys suck at all things.

CoMoChief
02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
MU really dead last in recruiting in SEC?

jeez...that didn't take long did it?

Pinkel's on the hot seat IMO

Stanley Nickels
02-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm happy EZE didn't commit to MU today. The last thing we need is to land a kid from the mid-top tier to placate our fans, who would pronounce this class (with our without Ezekiel) as anything other than what it is: a complete disaster. Pinkel has got to be the luckiest talentless coach in history, stumbling relatively early into the spread offense, and finding three main "diamonds in the rough" in Daniel, Weatherspoon, and W. Moore (admittedly, among others). He's a terrible in-game coach, his recruiting blows, and he seems to care more about how he's perceived than about how the program is. He needs to be gone, yesterday, and if signing the SEC equivalent of The Little Giants helps accelerate that process, all the better. Hell, this class doesn't even have it's "Icebox", Ezekiel, so maybe that analogy isn't fair to TLG.

DeezNutz
02-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Can we go ahead and fire Pinkel now?

How 'bout now?

C'mon folks, we're burning daylight here. Any minute we spend not mercy-killling this coaching staff is one minute we spend descending further into abject mediocrity...on a good year.

Eat dicks, Pinkel and staff. You guys suck at all things.

He's going to have to have a big year in '13, or I believe he will "retire" or "take a temporary leave" from coaching.

Stanley Nickels
02-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm honestly waiting for one of our recruits to show up at a Freshman talent show and blow bubbles through his nose. It's that bad.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-OZ2U4UozIBQ/TZQBAzHUJTI/AAAAAAAACOU/N4fZQRZvpc0/s1600/190366_10150136416152102_585412101_6870349_178425_n.jpeg

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
HE !@#$ING CRIED WHEN ASKED ABOUT MIZZOU!

He said he's a Tiger for life at the presser where he was announcing his decision to go elsewhere.

Did Ford shit on his couch? Kill his !@#$ing dog? How in Christ did we lose this kid?

Mother Fuck You, Gary Pinkel. I wonder how much a goddamn banner would cost in Columbia.

Stanley Nickels
02-06-2013, 03:27 PM
HE !@#$ING CRIED WHEN ASKED ABOUT MIZZOU!

He said he's a Tiger for life at the presser where he was announcing his decision to go elsewhere.

Did Ford shit on his couch? Kill his !@#$ing dog? How in Christ did we lose this kid?

Mother **** You, Gary Pinkel. I wonder how much a goddamn banner would cost in Columbia.

This is Otto Porter Redux. IIRC, Ezekiel's dad went to Mizzou, yet wore tOSU colors to the announcement, and likely helped EZE in this process. Either the Elliotts didn't feel that Pinkel was a good coach, or they felt that his job was in imminent jeopardy (or both). It's pretty telling, regardless.

Mr_Tomahawk
02-06-2013, 03:27 PM
ROFL

Stanley Nickels
02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
ROFL
http://forgifs.com/gallery/d/158522-5/MTV-VMA-Aguilera-videobombed-vulgar-gesture.gif? (http://forgifs.com)

DeezNutz
02-06-2013, 03:30 PM
This is Otto Porter Redux. IIRC, Ezekiel's dad went to Mizzou, yet wore tOSU colors to the announcement, and likely helped EZE in this process. Either the Elliotts didn't feel that Pinkel was a good coach, or they felt that his job was in imminent jeopardy (or both). It's pretty telling, regardless.

I believe both of his parents are Mizzou grads.

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
I believe both of his parents are Mizzou grads.

Mom ran track there, dad played ball.

Fuck you, Gary.

ChiefsCountry
02-06-2013, 03:46 PM
I have a feeling this will be Pinkel's last year. The boosters I know in Jefferson City have said he has one foot out the door and knowing the bank they work at ie Offical Checking of Mizzou athletics, I trust their opinion on the matter.

I wonder who Mizzou would go after though? Paul Rhoads? Bobby Petrino? Willie Taggert? Kirby Smart?

duncan_idaho
02-06-2013, 03:48 PM
It's official: This recruiting class if officially the next-to-last nail in Pinkel's coffin. 1-5 in the past two days on key targets.

Small and thin and missing premium talent. They lost Ezekiel Elliott early because Urban Meyer was recruiting him harder than Cornell Ford (who thought he was all set/easy because of the connection).

Brian Jones and Alex Grinch are COLOSSAL FVCKING DISASTERS in year 1 in Georgia/Florida. ONE recruit from there, combined, between the two of them. Way to lay the groundwork in the new recruiting area, guys.

Bruce Walker is off getting drunk somewhere, apparently, and then making eTrade moves (he's independently wealthy, you know?).

Meanwhile, Pinkel gets on and talks about the program and process and etc. while shitting the bed.

Unless Maty Mauk is Johnny Manziel, I see no way they win more than 6 games this season. And honestly, I would PREFER they miss a bowl so they have to cut ties with Pinkel. It's clear he has done all he can and is now at the point he's hurting the program.

Pinkel did a lot of great things at Mizzou. But he has failed on a colossal level when it comes to adjusting to the new challenge. His coaching staff is filled with "loyal" guys who couldn't recruit a cheetah to hunt antelope.

duncan_idaho
02-06-2013, 03:50 PM
ROFL

Your coach shit the bed at Notre Dame, got put on the bench at Florida in recruiting because he scared off recruits with his terrible BO and asshole attitude, and is resorting to signing almost exclusively JUCOs.

I'm sure that's going to work out for you...

duncan_idaho
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
I have a feeling this will be Pinkel's last year. The boosters I know in Jefferson City have said he has one foot out the door and knowing the bank they work at ie Offical Checking of Mizzou athletics, I trust their opinion on the matter.

I wonder who Mizzou would go after though? Paul Rhoads? Bobby Petrino? Willie Taggert? Kirby Smart?

Petrino will never happen. The same family that ran him off at Arky is a big booster at Mizzou.

I highly doubt Alden will hire someone who hasn't been a head coach before, so Smart is out.

Taggert is on the list. So is Rhoads (who is very MEH to me). I know that as of last fall, Kyle Whittingham of Utah was his top guy.

Whatever happens, he needs to empower the next head football coach to hire the best staff possible (and that doesn't mean "the same dudes that have been hanging around you for the past 15 years because no one else wants them")

Mr_Tomahawk
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Your coach shit the bed at Notre Dame, got put on the bench at Florida in recruiting because he scared off recruits with his terrible BO and asshole attitude, and is resorting to signing almost exclusively JUCOs.

I'm sure that's going to work out for you...

LOL!

DJ's left nut
02-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Brian Jones and Alex Grinch are COLOSSAL FVCKING DISASTERS in year 1 in Georgia/Florida. ONE recruit from there, combined, between the two of them. Way to lay the groundwork in the new recruiting area, guys.

Wait.

So hiring the coach's nephew from Wyoming isn't a good way to build a pipeline in the !@#$ing southeast?

Fuck - hire Nkemdiche's goddamn father to coach safeties, at least then we'd have gotten a single decent recruit out of there and could he really have done that bad a job coaching kids up compared to the Grinch?

Fire everyone.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Given the level of previous success, I can't imagine a worse year for Missouri recruiting. It's pathetic. It's not about losing Elliot, that's one sin of dozens. It's about losing multiple **** players, losing easy gets due to laziness, and a general culture of apathy and incompetence.

Pinkel isn't just leaving after a bad season; he's actively dismantling the program.

We finished far behind fucking Kentucky. 2-10 Kentucky, whose new coach had about two months to recruit and washed out after failing historically at Arizona.

Washington fucking State beat us in the rankings. Think about that for a minute.

Bowser
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
ROFL

As bad as it is, at least we can always fall back on the old standard of "At least we're not Kansas".

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
As bad as it is, at least we can always fall back on the old standard of "At least we're not Kansas".

They actually beat us in the Rivals Rankings.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
One final thing:

This goes for about 50 threads, but few things are more pathetic than ignorant, homeristic motherfuckers who pollute threads with fallacious appeals to authority during the smoke and mirrors phase of regimes (See: Pioli, Scott; Haith, Frank; Cassel, Matt; Pinkel, Gary) then vanish like ripped ass through a jet engine when the frauds are shown for who they really are.

It's part of the torture of being a sports fan on a message board. Dumbasses come in en masse to support the team without a fucking scintilla of a clue, and yet don't come back when it's time to lick the shit off their boots.

DeezNutz
02-06-2013, 09:51 PM
One final thing:

This goes for about 50 threads, but few things are more pathetic than ignorant, homeristic mother****ers who pollute threads with fallacious appeals to authority during the smoke and mirrors phase of regimes (See: *****, Scott; Haith, Frank; Cassel, Matt; Pinkel, Gary) then vanish like ripped ass through a jet engine when the frauds are shown for who they really are.

It's part of the torture of being a sports fan on a message board. Dumbasses come in en masse to support the team without a ****ing scintilla of a clue, and yet don't come back when it's time to lick the shit off their boots.

I've long been a Pinkel supporter because I viewed him as far from elite, but an above-average coach, someone who had legitimately put together a program in every sense of the term.

However, the last twelve months, at least, have been an enormous cluster ****, and I have to believe that the stability and viability of the program (read: lack thereof) directly reflect the shit show happening in Pinkel's personal life.

He's earned the right, in my view, to try to get the water out of the boat, but he looks desperate, tired, and his bucket appears too ****ing small.

Stanley Nickels
02-06-2013, 10:06 PM
I've long been a Pinkel supporter because I viewed him as far from elite, but an above-average coach, someone who had legitimately put together a program in every sense of the term.

However, the last twelve months, at least, have been an enormous cluster ****, and I have to believe that the stability and viability of the program (read: lack thereof) directly reflect the shit show happening in Pinkel's personal life.

He's earned the right, in my view, to try to get the water out of the boat, but he looks desperate, tired, and his bucket appears too ****ing small.

Now imagine he's in a cigarette boat race, and not only does he have to worry his boat, but he's competing against guys with 600-hp outboard motors... the most skilled drivers with the fastest machines available. Meanwhile, he's just trying not to sink.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Pinkel is just a guy. He's an average NCAA coach who had some aberrational success after he lucked into some tremendously underrated players and feasted on a famished BXII North.

Everything that he brings to the table is eminently replaceable. There's no reason why Missouri can't hire an elite recruiter. If you can get a #5 class at Ole Miss, you can do it at Missouri.

DeezNutz
02-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Now imagine he's in a cigarette boat race, and not only does he have to worry his boat, but he's competing against guys with 600-hp outboard motors... the most skilled drivers with the fastest machines available. Meanwhile, he's just trying not to sink.

LMAO. Unfortunately, probably accurate.

Pinkel is just a guy. He's an average NCAA coach who had some aberrational success after he lucked into some tremendously underrated players and feasted on a famished BXII North.

Everything that he brings to the table is eminently replaceable. There's no reason why Missouri can't hire an elite recruiter. If you can get a #5 class at Ole Miss, you can do it at Missouri.

While I think he's very replaceable at this point, it's not fair to ascribe a representable track record of success to luck.

He built a program, and now it's probably time to turn it over to someone else before he also tears it down.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-06-2013, 10:26 PM
LMAO. Unfortunately, probably accurate.

While I think he's very replaceable at this point, it's not fair to ascribe a representable track record of success to luck.

He built a program, and now it's probably time to turn it over to someone else before he also tears it down.

I just question how much of that program was actually built by Pinkel, or if he was a guy who was there during some fortunate times that also coincided with large money donations and a few recruiting oil strikes. It's a bit of a chicken-or-the-egg argument, but given Pinkel's rank incompetence as a gameday coach and his consistently blah recruiting, I'm reluctant to give him much credit at all.

The disclaimer is my obvious loathing of his professional ability.

bowener
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Please, somebody, tell me there is hope for the future. I do not want my school to forever be butt buddies with Vandy at the bottom.

At least give me a likely candidate for HC once Pinkel goes 4-8 and is shit canned or somebody you would like to see here coaching. Is there an attractive coordinator looking to make a name for himself somewhere on Alabama's staff?

Reaper16
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Please, somebody, tell me there is hope for the future. I do not want my school to forever be butt buddies with Vandy at the bottom.

At least give me a likely candidate for HC once Pinkel goes 4-8 and is shit canned or somebody you would like to see here coaching. Is there an attractive coordinator looking to make a name for himself somewhere on Alabama's staff?

Vandy? The bottom? Not in today's SEC. James Franklin has made Vandy into a way stronger program than Mizzou currently is with better academics to boot.

BourbonMan
02-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Gary Pinkel approached the stage around 4 p.m. Wednesday, ready to discuss the future.
It was time for his annual Signing Day news conference, his first chance to talk about Missouri’s newest football recruits. But from the outset, most in attendance were staring into their cell phones, waiting to see where Ezekiel Elliott, the state’s top prospect 120 miles down the road, had decided to sign.
Elliott, a speedy, consensus four-star running back from John Burroughs School in St. Louis, was announcing his choice between Ohio State and Missouri at the same time as Pinkel’s news conference. The son of two former Missouri athletes, Elliott took a recent visit to Missouri that seemingly opened the door for the Tigers.
But Elliott decided to stick with his previous oral commitment to Ohio State, effectively locking up Missouri’s spot at or near the bottom of several recruiting services’ Southeastern Conference rankings.
Not that Pinkel — whose team went 5-7 last season, its first in the SEC — puts any stock in those things, anyway.
“I’ve never ever looked at a ranking since I’ve been coaching,” Pinkel said. “Our evaluation system has proven overall it works. We believe in it, and just leave it at that.”
For the next hour or so, that was the refrain from Pinkel and his assistants at Mizzou Arena’s Clinton Club. They do their own evaluations of players, they maintained, and lauded or not, this was a class to like and be grateful for.
Jeremy Crabtree, ESPN’s senior coordinator of recruiting, says there’s some truth to this. ESPN ranks Missouri’s class 38th nationally.
“While it’s exciting to see them have a top-40 class nationally, it’s also quite sobering to realize that’s how competitive things are in the SEC,” Crabtree said.
No doubt. Despite its decent overall ranking, Missouri’s class — according to ESPN — ranked last in the SEC, which had six teams finish in the top 10 nationally, with Missouri (38th), Kentucky (36th) and Arkansas (31st) among those rounding out the pack. Rivals.com listed Missouri’s class at No. 49 in the country, also last in the SEC, with Arkansas being the next closest team at No. 31 overall.
“The SEC is all about winning and you have to be able to sell that,” Crabtree said. “Missouri didn’t produce the type of season they wanted on the field, and that makes it a lot more difficult to recruit against some of the teams in their same conference.”
But Crabtree likes some of the players in this year’s class, particularly in-state. Fort Zumwalt South star Chase Abbington possesses the size (6 feet 2, 205 pounds) and speed to be an impact running back. Crabtree calls three-star Rockwood Summit linebacker Eric Beisel “a hard-nosed throwback,” and he also raved about Hogan Prep star Anthony Sherrils, who projects as a cornerback.
“If you put him in Dallas, Houston or Atlanta, instead of having a handful of offers he would have had 20-30,” Crabtree said of Sherrils. “He’s a heck of a player. Give credit to (MU assistant) Andy Hill for keeping him home.”
Missouri also landed three more players from the Kansas City area in Staley quarterback Trent Hosick, Blue Valley offensive lineman Clay Rhodes and defensive end Charles Harris from Lincoln Prep.
“Certainly, Kansas City is real important to us,” Pinkel said. “Kansas City has been very good to us.”
Missouri also landed one player each from new recruiting territories like Georgia (quarterback Eddie Printz), Alabama (safety Shaun Rupert) and Florida (defensive lineman Nate Crawford).
Pinkel hopes to see more players from those states come to Missouri in the future, though he added it will take time. Crabtree agreed, adding that this year’s recruiting haul — while not lauded like others — was at least a step in the right direction.
“We saw them go into Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and to be successful, they’re going to have to grow and be more competitive in those states,” Crabtree said. “That’s easier said than done, but the good news is we’ve seen some positive returns so far.
“The Tigers’ coaches and the Mizzou brand is recognized as an SEC program, and coaches will get more comfortable sending kids there because of familiarity. To a high school coach in Florida, Missouri is still a new phenomenon. But that’s something that could get better over time.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/07/4052793/mu-pinkel-pleased-with-recruits.html#storylink=cpy

duncan_idaho
02-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Pinkel's claims they don't care about rankings is b.s.

They threw around "nation's No. 1 recruit" like crazy with DGB. And I heard through the grapevine there were some complaints voiced about Rivals' criminal underranking of Duron Singleton.

Though I understand that. Rivals ranked Singleton as a 5.2 **. Which, from watching his film, is just silly. If you take 10 minutes to watch his film, you see at least a *** talent, and I'd slot him ****.

Rivals in general in slipping in terms of national rankings, anyway. They've lost a lot of guys to 247sports, which seems to eschew the team site model (that puts a lot of money into publisher's pockets) and instead just do rankings and throw all the money at national analysts.

PowerMizzou is still the best Missouri site... but Rivals is not the authority it was when it comes to football rankings like it was when I joined in 2005.

warpaint*
02-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Looking at rankings for an individual player is pointless IMO. They are going to miss one some and hit on others. I like to use the rankings more from a macro POV. #48 and last in the SEC type classes will consistently have us finishing at or near the bottom of the league. It just isn't good enough. It's not even close. And unfortunately it's not that far off from what he's usually accomplished in terms of recruiting.

I think Pinkel's done. This is the 3rd underwhelming class in a row. I think the staff does a pretty doggone good job of identifying talent but is mediocre at recruiting it. He had two opportunities with the SEC in mind to upgrade the staff the past yr and he promoted a lapdog in one instance and hired his nephew in the other. That is inexcusable and those decisions along w/ allowing our oline and dt to be as depleted as it is is as much a reason I am done w/ him as any other.

He's done a lot for MU and I appreciate it but it's over. I understand why they gave him another season but if he's not wacked after what I expect to be another underwhelming 6-6ish type of season then I'll be furious as I'm sure many will be.

HE said MU had to step up. HE hasn't held up his end of the bargain. The proof isn't so much in the pudding of on field results as it is in how he's handled his staff.

Contrast that w/ the way Arkansas' has aggressively gone after coaching talent from HC on down to the very bottom of that staff. Whether or not it works out it won't be for lack of effort.

warpaint*
02-07-2013, 11:19 AM

I think there's a lot of truth to this but it doesn't take away that he's put some pretty good teams on the field.

It's just over. He's had his run. He's just banking checks at this point and doesn't seem to have the fire. It just feels like to me he's hanging on as long as he can to get as much out of it as possible before hitting the road.

I think Alden's reticent to replace him. It wouldn't surprise me if he's here another season after next with a 6-6 type of effort.

Pitt Gorilla
02-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Pinkel puts guys in the league, and will continue to do so (including this year). I have no issue with replacing him with a high profile coach, but I wouldn't make a change just to make a change.

Losing the OL to ISU was the biggest problem I had with this class. The players we got appear to be solid.

duncan_idaho
02-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I think there's a lot of truth to this but it doesn't take away that he's put some pretty good teams on the field.

It's just over. He's had his run. He's just banking checks at this point and doesn't seem to have the fire. It just feels like to me he's hanging on as long as he can to get as much out of it as possible before hitting the road.

I think Alden's reticent to replace him. It wouldn't surprise me if he's here another season after next with a 6-6 type of effort.

Pretty much where I am. Pinkel has done a lot of good things for Mizzou but has run his course.

I don't think Alden will be reticent to replace him - at all - if they miss a bowl game again this year. So... rooting for 5-7/4-8 is the way to go if you're on that mindset.

If he hits 6-6/7-5, Pinkel likely is retained.

warpaint*
02-07-2013, 12:00 PM
It's all about how you view it. There's some kids in the class I really like but we aren't running with KU and Iowa State any longer. "solid" in this case is bottom of the barrel for our new league. Rivals has KU's class rated 4 spots higher. That should tell you something. Whether there's is actually better than ours or not isn't relevant. What is scary is that they're even in the conversation.

The staff has been good enough over the yrs that I give them the benefit of the doubt on any unheralded guys they go out and find during the heart of the yr that they offer and clearly want. The most disturbing thing to me this yr is it seemed like we made more late desperate offers to warm bodies than in the past. The kid from Lincoln Prep that thought he might end up at a Mowest type of school prior to Monday night is the most glaring example. Hopefully they pan out. Most of the time they don't.

There isn't near the talent on the roster now as just a couple years ago and it seems to continue sliding in the wrong direction. I am making that statement looking at the on field product and not just the recruiting rankings.

Looking at next season the scariest thing to me is thinking about how the defense shapes up. We are bereft of interior line talent and don't have near the depth of de talent that we had even last season let alone two years ago. Outside of EJ our secondary is very blah. I am concerned what was a bad unit could be absolutely atrocious offsetting whatever improvement the offense makes.

warpaint*
02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Pretty much where I am. Pinkel has done a lot of good things for Mizzou but has run his course.

I don't think Alden will be reticent to replace him - at all - if they miss a bowl game again this year. So... rooting for 5-7/4-8 is the way to go if you're on that mindset.

If he hits 6-6/7-5, Pinkel likely is retained.

I don't really know what I'm rooting for, definitely not another middling 6-6/7-5 season that gets him retained.

I like Pinkel overall and appreciate what he's done so really I hope he can turn it around - I just don't see it as likely. I do see 6 or 7 wins as very possible.

4 or 5 wins and regime change is for the best if the alternative is that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Given Missouri's population, metropolitan centers, donor base, and lack of DI schools in-state it is absolutely criminal that the football team has had as little success as it has.

Pitt Gorilla
02-07-2013, 05:56 PM
ROFLMU has won a Big XII-II-II+II conference game more recently than ku.

warpaint*
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Rivals reranked that juco safety we got late. MU's class is now #39 in the country. Still dead last in the SEC. It is also more in line w/ where the other recruiting services have the Tigers so it is probably a more accurate reflection of the class' strength. Doesn't materially change anything but thought I'd mention it.

It is amazing that the entire SEC is top 40. That is impressive.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-08-2013, 09:45 PM
I just looked at the offers for next year. It looks like there are three massive OL in the St. Louis area, including two who are 4* players and another from Olathe South who is a high 4/borderline 5*.

Any ideas how Missouri stands with them?

warpaint*
02-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Let's see, that'd be Roderick Johnson, Andy Bauer, and Brian Wallace from the Stl side and Braden Smith from Olathe. Mizzou has apparently already offered all of them. We need as many of these guys as we can get desperately. Bauer was committed for awhile last yr and then decommitted. I would guess it's us or Bama for him. I think they're in good shape with Wallace, perhaps very good shape, just based on internet scuttlebutt. As for Johnson, something tells me that's going to be a battle as well but it's early.

To my knowledge we have one commitment for next yr's class, a tb from Stl named markel Smith.

duncan_idaho
02-11-2013, 07:01 AM
I just looked at the offers for next year. It looks like there are three massive OL in the St. Louis area, including two who are 4* players and another from Olathe South who is a high 4/borderline 5*.

Any ideas how Missouri stands with them?

Andy Bauer - Loves Mizzou and committed early because of it. Was scared a bit by the struggles in Year 1 in the SEC. Doesn't want to play for a dormat. Apparently is really close to his family, which is why he is likely to stay at home if he feels like Missouri will win at a decent level.

Roderick Johnson. Huge, prototypical LT type. Problems: He's from the suburban north, where Mizzou has struggled. Also, Ohio State has already offered.

Braden Smith - They were in on him early, but recent rumblings are that he wants to go away for school. He's a physical freak of nature whose football ability probably hasn't caught up with his athleticism (He's a 5-star athlete, 3-star player right now). He's pretty good friends with Clay Rhodes, which is Missouri's best shot.

Brian Wallace - I really don't know anything about this kid other than he has an offer and he goes to CBC. Not quite the same level recruit as the others (All of whom are national, top 100 types), but still a high D-1 player.

There's also a kid from the Kirksville area, I forget his name, who is likely to get an offer. Big OL type. (EDIT: THis is Jackson Morrison, from Maryville)

It's a VERY rare class for elite line talent in the state of Missouri. Josh Henson needs to make some hay.

Another big guy to watch is Peyton Newell, a DT from the KS side of the KC metro. Missouri has been on him for quite a while and is in pretty good shape. Probably a top 250 type.

Also on the KS side... RB Traevohn Wrench from Gardern-Edgerton is going to be a big-time recruit as well.

warpaint*
02-12-2013, 05:28 AM
There's a kid in Maryville that's a good Oline prospect too that they will end up offering. Might be thinking of 2015 though...can't remember his name. I'll try and look it up later.

duncan_idaho
02-12-2013, 06:45 AM
There's a kid in Maryville that's a good Oline prospect too that they will end up offering. Might be thinking of 2015 though...can't remember his name. I'll try and look it up later.

Jackson Morrison, I think.

He's a 2014 kid. I was thinking he was a Kirksville-area guy in my previous post.

DJ's left nut
02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I cringe everytime I see this thread bumped.

As it turns out, merely informative and useful bumps. I'm sure the next one will have DGB thrown off the team or Henry Josey having his leg amputated.

!@#$ing Tigers...

Ceej
02-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Not a college football fan whatsoever, but what kind of year did that freshman receiver have for you guys?

Wasn't he #1 WR and top 5 overall?

duncan_idaho
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Not a college football fan whatsoever, but what kind of year did that freshman receiver have for you guys?

Wasn't he #1 WR and top 5 overall?

28 catches (12 percent of team total)
395 yards (15 percent of team total)
5 TDs (33 percent of team total)

He actually had about the type of year, percentage-wise, that I expected him to have. The Missouri passing attack was just much less potent than expected due to the injuries and inconsistent play at QB.

I had him predicted at about 40-50 catches, 500 yards and 8 tds entering the season. If Missouri's passing game produces at its average numbers over the previous 3 years under Yost, he is right at that mark.

Dr. Gigglepants
02-12-2013, 12:11 PM
28 catches (12 percent of team total)
395 yards (15 percent of team total)
5 TDs (33 percent of team total)

He actually had about the type of year, percentage-wise, that I expected him to have. The Missouri passing attack was just much less potent than expected due to the injuries and inconsistent play at QB.

I had him predicted at about 40-50 catches, 500 yards and 8 tds entering the season. If Missouri's passing game produces at its average numbers over the previous 3 years under Yost, he is right at that mark.

What do you think our offense will look like next year? I know we'll still be a spread team, but do you think it will it look any different?
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho
02-12-2013, 12:33 PM
What do you think our offense will look like next year? I know we'll still be a spread team, but do you think it will it look any different?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's hard to say for sure.

It sounds like Henson will further change the blocking schemes. I know he brought in a lot of concepts on zone blocking, narrower splits, and the Gs putting a hand on the ground. I'd imagine the OL will be asked to play a little tougher and more physically under Henson.

I also imagine we'll see a little more emphasis on the running game.

What I'd like to see?

1) More misdirection in the run game. Essential for running out of the spread vs. elite Ds
2) More formation experimentation (though Yost did quite a lot of this, actually). I'd like to see the two back set utilized more, even with a mobile QB. It also sounds like they will have a more multiple approach (which I know will please many).
3) Less effort on spreading horizontally and more effort on spreading both directions. Christensen and Yost both ran a ton of passing plays to the sidelines/flats. This worked quite well against overwhelmed defenses and not very well against good and fast ones. The middle MUST be attacked more, and routes need to work farther downfield, too.

warpaint*
02-13-2013, 03:39 AM
They need to be more multiple. The spreads a good system for MU but not the way they were running it. I wouldn't mind one bit if they were running something Clemsonesque for example.

warpaint*
02-13-2013, 03:40 AM
Jackson Morrison, I think.

He's a 2014 kid. I was thinking he was a Kirksville-area guy in my previous post.

That's him! Makes sense I was racking my brain about who the heck the Kirksville kid was.

Mizzou_8541
03-02-2013, 07:22 PM
DGB's younger brother Darnell committed to Mizzou today. No idea how good he is.

Mizzou_8541
03-02-2013, 07:23 PM
DGB's younger brother Darnell committed to Mizzou today. No idea how good he is.

Per PowerMizzou.com

KcMizzou
03-02-2013, 07:26 PM
DGB's younger brother Darnell committed to Mizzou today. No idea how good he is.What position does he play? WR too?

Mizzou_8541
03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
What position does he play? WR too?

Yes. He was very ill with some disease, not sure what. Apparently he's made a full recovery.

warpaint*
03-02-2013, 08:10 PM
I was wondering if he was just a package deal to get DGB but IDK anything about him. Hopefully he can play.

Captain Obvious
03-02-2013, 08:54 PM
From what I understood from some Springfield folks, he was supposedly going to end up being a better athlete than his brother before his diagnosis.

bowener
03-02-2013, 09:26 PM
How much do you think DGB regrets committing to Mizzou now?

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-02-2013, 09:29 PM
How much do you think DGB regrets committing to Mizzou now?

Before Arkansas' latest offseason? Not much. Now? Immensely.

bowener
03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Before Arkansas' latest offseason? Not much. Now? Immensely.

I feel almost bad for the guy. What a shit show MU has become. My only hope for any success this season is that the SEC teams think of us as a cupcake and forget to try or prepare.

duncan_idaho
03-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Yes. He was very ill with some disease, not sure what. Apparently he's made a full recovery.

Stage 2 leukemia.

duncan_idaho
03-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Pinkel news conference today...

GUSHING about Maty Mauk. Talking about his arm strength, overall skill set, etc.

Pretty clear Pinkel wants Mauk to win the job, IMO.

Also... after the mojo I brought with starting this thread, I think someone else should do it for the upcoming season.

Should be someone who can dedicate the annoyance and self-loathing appropriate right now. Perhaps HAMAS?

Ebolapox
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
maty mauk is his only fucking chance at staying beyond next year. if he blows the fuck up, maybe we'll fucking do something next year. I have so little optimism that I'm less than 50/50 on buying season tix next year (student rate is dirt cheap and I generally make a profit, but it's depressing watching them most of the time)

DeezNutz
03-11-2013, 01:08 PM
maty mauk is his only ****ing chance at staying beyond next year. if he blows the **** up, maybe we'll ****ing do something next year. I have so little optimism that I'm less than 50/50 on buying season tix next year (student rate is dirt cheap and I generally make a profit, but it's depressing watching them most of the time)

Better show some adaptability and get away from those wide splits or whoever is taking snaps is getting killed because of slow-developing plans.

siberian khatru
03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Pinkel news conference today...

GUSHING about Maty Mauk. Talking about his arm strength, overall skill set, etc.

Pretty clear Pinkel wants Mauk to win the job, IMO.

Also... after the mojo I brought with starting this thread, I think someone else should do it for the upcoming season.

Should be someone who can dedicate the annoyance and self-loathing appropriate right now. Perhaps HAMAS?

Hansbrough and Steward running 4.3's. Josey running a 4.4 and should be full go in spring camp.

duncan_idaho
03-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Better show some adaptability and get away from those wide splits or whoever is taking snaps is getting killed because of slow-developing plans.

Henson convinced them to narrow the splits some when he joined the staff. I would be he wants to narrow them even more. The oSu style uses much less extreme splits, if I remember correctly, and that's where his legacy lies.

duncan_idaho
03-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Hansbrough and Steward running 4.3's. Josey running a 4.4 and should be full go in spring camp.

I'm sure if Hansbrough and Steward were timed in that range, it was the high 4.3s (4.39/4.38) rather than the low ones.

They kept talking about Maclin running a 4.26 at Mizzou, and I think he ran a 4.4 flat at the combine.

If Steward is really moving that quickly, that's going to be a nice combo, with his size...

DeezNutz
03-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Henson convinced them to narrow the splits some when he joined the staff. I would be he wants to narrow them even more. The oSu style uses much less extreme splits, if I remember correctly, and that's where his legacy lies.

I'd be great with this.

DJ's left nut
03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Hey guys - remember when I joked that folks probably shouldn't even read this thread when it's bumped because it's always bad news?

Yeah. Just close the thread now and you'll be happier.

Andy Bauer has committed to Ole Miss.

We suck at everything.

Ebolapox
03-18-2013, 11:37 PM
:(

'Hamas' Jenkins
03-18-2013, 11:41 PM
There is no fucking way Freeze is that good of a recruiter. No fucking way.

bowener
04-21-2013, 01:48 AM
Seems different.

CoMoChief
04-21-2013, 06:26 AM
that endzone is just uglier than shit IMO.