PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFW - Chiefs sure to address running back this offseason

Hammock Parties
03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/02/26/chiefs-sure-to-address-running-back-this-offseason

There are question marks all across the Chiefs depth chart, including quarterback, wide receiver, offensive line and defensive line. Some of these will be upgraded in free agency and the draft, but others will look the same as they did last season.

One position that is sure to see change is at running back. With RBs Thomas Jones and Jackie Battle free agents and Jamaal Charles coming off ACL surgery, there is a clear need for a runner. Many believe the team will draft a back at some point to complement Charles. Meanwhile, others expect a free agent — specifically BenJarvus Green-Ellis of the Patriots — to go to Kansas City. The team also could opt bring back Battle, along with FB Le'Ron McClain to aide the rushing attack.

"I think it's another solid class," GM Scott Pioli said of the running backs available in the draft. "There are a number of underclassmen making it another solid class of running backs. I think overall, the entire draft, it's a really solid class all along."

The Chiefs led the NFL in rushing in 2010, gaining 164.2 yards per game. Much of that came from Charles, who had a record-setting season in leading the team to first place in the AFC West. However, last season, when Charles went down with an ACL tear in Week Two and Jones struggled to get much going, the running game as a whole underperformed. Kansas City finished 15th in the league at 118.3 yards per game, an issue the team wants to fix this coming season.

Pioli told reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine he believes that Charles will return to health next season, but that depth at the position is still vitally important.

"I'm a firm believer that even when you have good starters — I think Jamaal is a very good starter and hopefully coming back healthy from the injury — you can never have enough good players or depth," he said. "Whether we address it in this draft or in free agency, I think it will be, 'where does opportunity meet our needs?' "

Battle, who has tremendous value on special teams, is expected to re-sign. We hear Jones, who turns 34 in August, won't return and might retire. Head coach Romeo Crennel said the Chiefs would like to bring back McClain, who did well as a lead blocker during his first season with the team.

"He did help us last year. He's versatile. He can do several things," Crennel said of McClain. "He can block. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He's good in (blitz) pickup. So he's a guy we'd like to have back."

The Rick
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Off topic, but just wanted to say Romeo is kind of a breath of fresh air compared to Haley when it comes to media speak. No more mysterious front or saying something without really saying anything. Just simple, straightforward answers.

whoman69
03-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Off topic, but just wanted to say Romeo is kind of a breath of fresh air compared to Haley when it comes to media speak. No more mysterious front or saying something without really saying anything. Just simple, straightforward answers.

Perhaps a bit too much when talking about Manning. Might cost him some money. Hope it doesn't cost the team.

AndChiefs
03-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Cyrus Gray.

noa
03-01-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm astonished we finished 15th in the league in rushing last season. Crossing my fingers for Mike Tolbert.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okie_Apparition
03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Priest-LJ-Charles
is the magic about to run out
Stay tuned

O.city
03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Nope

Richardson is next.

Chief_For_Life58
03-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Priest-LJ-Charles
is the magic about to run out
Stay tuned

......the magic of being a shitty playoff team

Chief_For_Life58
03-01-2012, 10:43 PM
theres a hand full of good rb prospects this year. im excited to see which one we get. I want wilson from vt. probably wont last to our 2nd pick though.

T-post Tom
03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Perhaps a bit too much when talking about Manning. Might cost him some money. Hope it doesn't cost the team.

It will not cost him or the team anything. What he said was perfectly fine.

booger
03-01-2012, 11:24 PM
getting tagged is possible and he most likely would get more coin elsewhere but Peyton Hillis makes plenty of sense. He' s played under Daboll in Cleveland, fits the big back/bruiser change up to charles and could be a good role for what that they wanted battle in eating up clock at the end of games. Also the kind of player Pioli loves, played his college ball at arkansas. Don't know where he grew up but he makes sense for KC. So does Mike Tolbert.

mesmith31
03-02-2012, 02:01 AM
Nobody here would want Michael Bush?

Disgruntled_Parent via SR's IP in GA
03-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Good GOOD, it's a Running back party. Watch them make that their first pick.:banghead:

salame
03-02-2012, 03:18 AM

I think lots of people would
Tolbert would be MUCH cheaper

rad
03-02-2012, 05:59 AM

Question is.....does Bush want to come here and share the backfield, or go to a team where he be a more featured back?

htismaqe
03-02-2012, 07:09 AM
I'd like to have Tolbert.

RUSH
03-02-2012, 07:33 AM
Question is.....does Bush want to come here and share the backfield, or go to a team where he be a more featured back?

After wearing down last year when only being the feature back for around 10 games, I doubt any team is going to give him that opportunity.

YayMike
03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

I think a team is going to pay him featured back money, but he would be a GREAT compliment to JC.

In the unreal fantasy world that we get Peyton, and Bush that would allow us to trade back from 11, get the best G/T available and move from there. Someone will want Richardson bad and hopefully we could reap the benefits. If we somehow get a 2nd for Carr, we could cover 2 more needs in the 2nd round: whichever G/T we don't take in the first round, and NT. sounds good to me

suds79
03-02-2012, 08:02 AM
I think Tolbert is the only FA back I could get behind. Only because he's only 26 and his style is so contrasting to Jamaal's. His power running I think is special. He could really be useful.

Past that? I'm not a fan of free agent RBs. They take a tremendous beating and have such a short NFL life. That and the fact that it's an easy position to pick up for rookies.

Hoover
03-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Running back is a real need, however I laughed at the depth comment about our WR's. If we sign Bowe were are pretty well set, especially considering McCluster is a flex player. I find TE to be more of a need.

I would love to draft Richardson, but hopefully we reach for a RT because we need to protect Manning. If that's the case spend some of that cash on Bush. Look, with JC coming back from injury we need a guy who can carry the load. If we seem confident about JC, then Tolbert would be an awesome addition because he would be a better compliment to JC, and we need a short yardage back. Can you imagine him behind a stacked KC OLine?

Hoover
03-02-2012, 08:08 AM
I think Tolbert is the only FA back I could get behind. Only because he's only 26 and his style is so contrasting to Jamaal's. His power running I think is special. He could really be useful.

Past that? I'm not a fan of free agent RBs. They take a tremendous beating and have such a short NFL life. That and the fact that it's an easy position to pick up for rookies.

Yep. The more I wrote the more I came around to Tolbert.

bsp4444
03-02-2012, 08:40 AM

Priest Holmes and Marcus Allen, anybody? Two of the best running backs in Chiefs history were free agent pick-ups.

Although I agree that Tolbert's style is the perfect contrast to Charles, there is more talent that can be gained from free-agency.

Skyy God
03-02-2012, 10:16 AM
getting tagged is possible and he most likely would get more coin elsewhere but Peyton Hillis makes plenty of sense. He' s played under Daboll in Cleveland, fits the big back/bruiser change up to charles and could be a good role for what that they wanted battle in eating up clock at the end of games. Also the kind of player Pioli loves, played his college ball at arkansas. Don't know where he grew up but he makes sense for KC. So does Mike Tolbert.

Hillis is more likely to be a spook next year than a Chief.