PDA

View Full Version : Football Report: Saints want to pay Brees like a “very good,” not “great,” QB

-King-
03-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Report: Saints want to pay Brees like a “very good,” not “great,” QB

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 1, 2012, 7:48 PM EST

If you think Drew Brees is a great quarterback, Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis apparently disagrees with you.

According to a report from Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports, Loomis thinks Brees is very good, but not great. And therefore Loomis thinks Brees’s new contract should be commensurate with what a very good quarterback, but not a great quarterback, gets paid.

Citing three league sources, Cole writes that Loomis made the distinction between Brees being “very good” and “great” in a recent discussion about the status of the soon-to-be free agent quarterback’s contract. When Loomis was asked why it was taking so long for the Saints and Brees to reach an agreement on a long-term contract extension, Loomis described Brees as “very good” when others called called him “great.”

According to the report, Brees and the Saints are about $5 million a year apart on a new contract. Which is apparently the difference between what a great quarterback makes and what a very good quarterback makes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/report-saints-want-to-pay-brees-like-a-very-good-but-not-great-qb/

SNR
03-01-2012, 06:11 PM
We've got some pretty good gumbo restaurants here, Drew. You don't have to stay in a city where you're not wanted.

okcchief
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
I want to pay Brees like the greatest QB EVER :)

O.city
If he gets outta NO, it's epic fail on their part. He's done a shit load for a city that sits below sea level.

tredadda
If they franchise him they will be paying him like a great QB.

DeezNutz
I have no idea if there is legitimacy to this report or not, but...the Saints would be absolute clowns to disrespect Brees publicly given what he's done for the city and franchise.

Mr. Laz
03-01-2012, 06:14 PM
i heard the Saints offer Brees the highest contract in the history of the NFL

Brees is being dumb, he is going to squeeze every penny he can out of the Saints and end up without enough talent around him ... just like Manning did.

He got his trophy so maybe he doesn't give a shit.

Chiefaholic
I'd give Breese Peyton Manning money on a 4 year contract if he came to KC.

Iowanian
Drew,

As a member of the Kansas City Chiefs, you'll have the opportunity to make Phillip Rivers cry twice per season, and give both finger salutes to the management that didn't believe in you enough to keep you over him....I'm just saying.

Also, Kansas City has skilled dermatologists to remove the map of Nevada from your cheek.

BossChief
03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
At the risk of sounding rude, why should I care?

Mr. Laz
03-01-2012, 06:16 PM

some people are hoping that by some crazy chain of events Brees leaves N.O. and becomes a Chief.

same way they are hoping that a miracle happens and we trade up for RGIII

tis the offseason :)

Iowanian
03-01-2012, 06:16 PM

Let me try.

Because he's a pending FA and the starting QB of your NFL franchise of choice didn't start a single game on his college team?

Brianfo
03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
If he gets outta NO, it's epic fail on their part. He's done a shit load for a city that sits below sea level.

This 10X. He has done nothing but put that town on his shoulders. If you like reading, his book is an awesome read. I can't believe Sean Payton doesn't have a say.

Count Zarth
03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Bested by Alex Smith, so hard time disagreeing.

-King-
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM

ROFL

BossChief
03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Let me try.

Because he's a pending FA and the starting QB of your NFL franchise of choice didn't start a single game on his college team?

There is a greater chance of you or I leading a team to a superbowl next year as a starting quarterback that Drew Brees not being a Saint next year.

Worst case scenario is they put the exclusive tag on him.

No chance he leaves NO.

So, I ask again.

Why should I give a single fuck that NO is pissing him off?

One side starts high
The other side counters by going extremely low
Both sides meet in the middle.

This is business as it has always been.

dirk digler
03-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I want to pay Brees like the greatest QB EVER :)

This x10000000000

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2012, 06:26 PM

the Saints turned the ball over 5 times, let me say that one more time so it sinks in--5 TIMES--and were still in the game. That says a lot about how good this team is. Yes, they turned the ball over but they were still in the game.

Take away 1 of those turnovers and the Saints win that game. Take away a few more of those turnovers and the Saints win big. And the Niners are a good team with a solid defense too.

bevischief
03-01-2012, 06:27 PM
some people are hoping that by some crazy chain of events Brees leaves N.O. and becomes a Chief.

same way they are hoping that a miracle happens and we trade up for RGIII

tis the offseason :)

You forgot Manning as well...

noa
03-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Shouldn't have risked it, now I'm offended.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okie_Apparition
03-01-2012, 06:29 PM
You need a franchise QB to win a Super Bowl
but his second contract strangles the life out of your roster
Good thing nobody gave Eli any respect until his after his 2nd SB MVP

ForeverChiefs58
03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
If Drew Brees gets franchise tag, Saints doomed

It took a natural disaster for the New Orleans Saints to be desperate enough to sign Drew Brees in 2006. Six glorious years later, the team is privately trying to sell itself on the notion that Brees is simply a “very good” quarterback.

That was the word coming out of the NFL scouting combine this past week, when Saints general manager Mickey Loomis tried to define Brees as “very good” when the quarterback was called “great,” according to three league sources. All three sources were asking Loomis why it was taking so long to sign Brees to a contract extension. Loomis’ answer spoke volumes

It also spoke to the fact that Saints owner Tom Benson is likely going to have to step in to solve the situation. To this point, Benson has left the matter to Loomis.

As one league insider said: “Benson knows where this team was 15 years ago and he sees where it is now. He has to make the call. Mickey is not going to do it.”

As of Thursday, the sides remain roughly $5 million a year apart on a new contract. The Saints are making moves to free up salary-cap money, such as a guaranteed deal for defensive end Will Smith that should free at least $5 million. That move will put the Saints at roughly $19 million under the salary cap, assuming the cap remains close to $120 million.

The Saints have a bevy of other moves they can make for more cap room (cutting linebacker Jonathan Vilma and defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis would save the team roughly $11 million).

Regardless, if a deal with Brees isn’t done by Monday, the team will have to use the franchise tag on him. The ripple effect of that is significant because the Saints also have wide receiver Marques Colston and guard Carl Nicks coming up as free agents. If the Saints are forced to franchise Brees, there is a strong chance they will lose both Colston and Nicks, each of whom are looking for about $9 million per year.

If that happens, the Saints are in trouble.

If the Saints sign Brees, they will keep at least two of those three players. There’s a decent chance the team could retain all three by using the franchise tag as leverage against either Colston or Nicks, signing one of them and then slapping the tag on the other.

Coming off the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, the belief among many people at the time was that the Saints had to overpay to get Brees because few players wanted to play in the ravaged city. The Saints gave Brees a six-year, $60 million contract in 2006, including $12 million guaranteed and a $12 million option bonus that was due in the second year of the deal. The option was considered a hedge against Brees returning to health since his arm was still in a sling following shoulder surgery.

Since then, Brees has become the greatest free-agent signing in the history of the NFL, the rare player who exceeds any projectable performance. Furthermore, Brees is the best player to ever don a Saints jersey. And that’s just the football part.

Brees has shown dedication to rebuilding New Orleans, so much so that he has earned the NFL’s Walter Payton Man of the Year, The Associated Press Male Athlete of the Year and Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Year awards during the past six years.

To top all of that, Brees made himself the face of the NFL Players Association by putting his name to the class-action lawsuit the players filed and by serving on the NFLPA executive board. He was regularly part of the labor negotiations with the owners, showing uncommon leadership for a player of his stature.

Oh yeah, and there’s the Super Bowl, which the Saints won for the first time in the 2009 season. Brees just happened to be MVP of that game.

Brees can name his price. Is he worth $20 million a year? How about $25 million?

Short-sighted thinkers will say that whatever Brees gets means there’s less for the Saints to sign other players. That’s not really the case. Teams can be incredibly creative.

Keeping Brees, Nicks and Colston is critical over the next three years. If not for the dramatic collapse of their defense in the NFC playoffs at San Francisco, the Saints easily could be the Super Bowl champions right now. They are that close and need to remain so.

The strength of the team is on offense and the defense can be rebuilt through the draft and judicious moves in free agency. First, however, the Saints need to realize that Brees is a bargain at any price.

Stop nickel-and-diming the best player in franchise history and spend the dollars it takes to get it done.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_drew_brees_saints_franchise_tag_deal030112

chiefzilla1501
03-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Basically, the Saints are going to let him test the market. And then they'll probably make their offer. It will be less than what Brees wants but more than the Saints are currently offering.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2012, 06:39 PM
There is a greater chance of you or I leading a team to a superbowl next year as a starting quarterback that Drew Brees not being a Saint next year.

No chance he leaves NO.

So, I ask again.

Why should I give a single **** that NO is pissing him off?

One side starts high

This is business as it has always been.
I don't think it's required that you give a fuck... just that you understand that this is a board where football topics are pretty much a cornerstone.

Okie_Apparition
03-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I could use glasses

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2012, 06:51 PM

No chance he leaves NO.

So, I ask again.

Why should I give a single fuck that NO is pissing him off?

One side starts high

This is business as it has always been.No chance? Are you sure about that? If they tag him, you don't think a team would give up 2 firsts?

Simplicity
03-01-2012, 06:54 PM
I don't think it's required that you give a ****... just that you understand that this is a board where football topics are pretty much a cornerstone.

This. This is a FOOTBALL thread... I'm sure any football news is relavent on this forum.

Epic Fail 007
03-01-2012, 07:04 PM
MY MY AND I GET BITCHED AT LAST NIGHT FOR EVEN BRINGING UP BRESS TO KC,IDIOTS

Okie_Apparition
03-01-2012, 07:07 PM
NO
They won, you've become one of them
BWAWAWAWAAAAA

BossChief
03-01-2012, 07:16 PM
No chance? Are you sure about that? If they tag him, you don't think a team would give up 2 firsts?

I'd be a little shocked if they don't out the exclusive tag on him.

If they go nonexclusive, that's a fools move.

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I'd be a little shocked if they don't out the exclusive tag on him.

If they go nonexclusive, that's a fools move.

I completely forgot about the 2 different Franchise Tags.

FringeNC
03-01-2012, 07:54 PM
JFC, that's more asinine than posters on here who think only HOF'ers are franchise quarterbacks. Of course Brees is great, and a HOF'er.

kaplin42
03-01-2012, 08:17 PM
I would take Brees here in a second. What an excellent QB, player and person to have on your team.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I would take Brees here in a second. What an excellent QB, player and person to have on your team.

All this.

WhiteWhale
03-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Has Loomis even watched his team play?

There's a time to play hardball and a time to pay the guy who carries your team. Unbelievable.

BigMeatballDave
03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Has Loomis even watched his team play?

There's a time to play hardball and a time to pay the guy who carries your team. Unbelievable.

Loomis?

He's busy searching for Micheal Myers...

Bump
03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Is the Saints GM on crack? this can't be real

Setsuna
03-02-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm sorry but....if the Chiefs get Brees then you better make sure you turn Arrowhead into a dome. Just saying.

kepp
03-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Franchise tag on Brees = no tag on Nicks
no tag on Nicks = Nicks is a FA
Nicks is a FA = Nicks comes to KC?

Fat Elvis
03-02-2012, 10:43 AM

As much as I want RG3, imagine an off-season like this:

Manning
Nicks
RT in draft

Soliai

chiefzilla1501
03-02-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry but....if the Chiefs get Brees then you better make sure you turn Arrowhead into a dome. Just saying.

Wut?

Just because the Saints play in a dome doesn't mean Brees only knows how to play in the cold. What are you basing this on? There's virtually no statistical evidence to show Brees can't handle cold weather.

Sofa King
03-02-2012, 10:45 AM
MY MY AND I GET BITCHED AT LAST NIGHT FOR EVEN BRINGING UP BRESS TO KC,IDIOTS

That's because you're a dumbass.

Sorter
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Profit?

Deberg_1990
03-02-2012, 11:09 AM
If Brees is just "very good" what does Loomis define "great" as?

Micjones
03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
They'll get the deal done. Just get out of our way and let us have Nicks!

Okie_Apparition
03-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Brees should ask for top 5 QB money
minus Sproles contract

BossChief
03-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Just said on espn they are close to finishing a deal that averages 18 million per year.

philfree
03-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Crazy.

So the Saints Tag Brees and let some other team sign him for the two 1st round picks of compensation. Shortly after that they pick up the phone and call St Louy and offer three 1st rounders(in this years draft) for the 2nd pick in the draft so they can draft RGIII.:hmmm:Crazy!

Easy 6
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Tell'em to go to hell Drew, KC will hand you the keys to the city the minute you get off Hunts private jet.

whoman69
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Typical media overstatement. GM goes on the news and says Brees is very good but not great. If he agrees he's great that gives Brees leverage. What the hell is he supposed to say?

Coach
03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Typical media overstatement. GM goes on the news and says Brees is very good but not great. If he agrees he's great that gives Brees leverage. What the hell is he supposed to say?

Then what the GM should have not said anything at all.

WhiteWhale
03-02-2012, 01:58 PM

It has no effect.

It's pointless posturing. It only serves to make Loomis look bad. Everyone and their kid knows Brees is among the elite QB's in the NFL.

He should acknowledge him for being what he is, downplaying Brees only serves to make him look disconnected or worse.

-King-
03-02-2012, 02:15 PM

They're 5 mil a year apart. I doubt they get it done in 10 days.

BossChief
03-02-2012, 02:27 PM

Not a chance in hell I'd give Nicks the kind of coin he wants and I doubt NO would, either.

O.city
03-02-2012, 02:34 PM
I don't know where Nicks will end up. I though Dallas, but I don't see them signing Carr and Nicks.

whoman69
03-02-2012, 03:04 PM
They're 5 mil a year apart. I doubt they get it done in 10 days.

They don't have 10 days. Franchises need to be set by the 5th. If they don't have a deal with Brees at that point they have to franchise him. Then they might lose out on other players who are FA available. They are not in a good position. They do have 10 days to work with those other players.

-King-
03-02-2012, 03:05 PM
They don't have 10 days. Franchises need to be set by the 5th. If they don't have a deal with Brees at that point they have to franchise him. Then they might lose out on other players who are FA available. They are not in a good position. They do have 10 days to work with those other players.

Oh yeah. Thats right.

Okie_Apparition
03-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Exclusive franchise tag for Brees could cost Saints less than $16 million

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2012, 3:17 PM EST

If the Saints want to keepDrew Brees from having the ability to sign an offered with a team that would be willing to give the Saints two first-round draft picks as compensation for a “very good” quarterback, it won’t cost them as much in 2012 as previously believed.

The non-exclusive franchise tender for quarterbacks is expected to be in the range of a one-year, $14.4 million salary. The exclusive franchise tender, which will be based on the 2012 salary cap numbers for the five highest-paid quarterbacks, currently is expected to fall in the range of $15 million to $16 million.

As a source with knowledge of the calculation explained to PFT this afternoon, the upcoming release of Peyton Manning and restructurings by quarterbacks like Ben Roethlisberger, whose cap number for 2012 plummeted from $16.92 million to $8.895 million, will drive down the average for the top five quarterbacks. (That said, if a team like the Chiefs signs Peyton Manning to a front-loaded deal with a huge cap number in 2012, the average for the five highest-paid quarterbacks will be higher.)

Despite the risk of a quarterback contract with a skewed 2012 cap number, the downward trend makes use of the exclusive tender a no-brainer for the Saints. And it’s likely prompting the team to be willing to employ Brees on a year-to-year basis. If, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports, Brees wants a deal that pays out an average of $23 million annually for the first three years, the Saints could choose instead to pay him, based on the high side of the estimate, $16 million this year, $19.2 million in 2013 (i.e., 120 percent of the 2012 number, as required by the CBA), and $27.648 million in 2014 (i.e., 144 percent of the 2013 number, as required by the CBA). That’s a total of $62.848 million over three years, more than $6 million less than the $69 million Brees supposedly wants in that same period.

That said, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Brees hasn’t asked for $23 million annually over three years. Still, as long as Brees’ number is higher than $20.9 million, the year-to-year approach makes sense.

Of course, in three years the Saints would have to end the dance, since under the CBA the tender would rocket to $39.8 million. By then, however, Brees will be 36. And the question will be whether he wants to play the last few seasons of his career in New Orleans, or elsewhere

~BOE

Sofa King
03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Manning @ 75% >>>> Brees @ 300%