PDA

View Full Version : Missouri TE Michael Egnew

Wilson8
03-01-2012, 11:11 PM
I’d like the Chiefs to draft Missouri TE Michael Egnew.

Many draft publications have him being drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, but I think the 3rd round would be about right. I know I’m biased in favor of local players, but this guy has Scott Pioli, draft me now qualifications.

Reading different stories from the past two years, the Chiefs seem to want…

Senior Bowl players – did that

Leaping ability – He can jump over the house – an 11’3” broad jump and 37 ˝ vertical.

Comes from a strong parental support household – Meet Richard & Ersa Egnew. Michael was raised as part of a strong 9 kid adopted family in Texas.

Team Captain – check

SEC Conference – Well…

Anyway interesting story on Michael and other Missouri NFL hopefuls below.

Wilson8
03-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Egnew backs up performance at combine during MU’s pro day

COLUMBIA -- Michael Egnew knew he didn’t need to do every drill at Missouri’s first pro day. Thanks to a solid performance at the NFL Combine on Saturday, that would not be necessary.

But that didn’t keep Egnew, a tight end who has been dealing with a tight hamstring he suffered at the combine, from improving some of his numbers.
Egnew, 6 feet 5 and 252 pounds, passed on the bench press and 40-yard dash Thursday, but broke his own school record in the broad jump with a mark of 11 feet, 3 inches, and turned in a vertical jump of 37˝ inches. He also did position drills, catching passes and running routes.

“I just kind of see it as me putting my hard work out there,” Egnew said. “I work out everyday, so it’s nice to get to do it in front of other people.”

Egnew was one of four former Missouri players who participated in the NFL Combine and still chose to show up for pro day. Defensive tackle Dominique Hamilton and receivers Jerrell Jackson and Wes Kemp were the others.

“The experience has been real fun,” said Egnew, who caught 50 passes for 523 yards and three touchdowns in his senior season for the Tigers.

“My whole outlook is to put everything I’ve got on the table and hopefully, one team likes it and scoops it up.”

Egnew hinted that he will do even more at Missouri’s second pro day on March 15 in Columbia. One event he might take another stab at is the 40-yard dash — he ran it in 4.62 seconds at the combine.

“Everybody wants to improve on what they do,” Egnew said, before joking that he’d even improve his height if he could. “I’ll sweat on the 15th.”
Hamilton, a 6-foot-5, 310-pounder who was tops among Big 12 interior linemen in tackles, will do the same. Like Egnew, he was happy with his combine performance but plans to repeat the 40-yard dash — which he ran in 5.5 seconds at the combine — and might even repeat other position drills, such as the 20-yard shuttle.

“I ran like a 4.7 in the shuttle, and that’s pretty good,” said Hamilton, who is proud of his lateral quickness. “That was after we did position drills and were already tired … come the 15th, that’s going to be even lower because the best shuttle time I ever ran was a 4.5.”

Hamilton said he originally planned to do positional drills again Thursday. Then he saw teammate and buddy Terrell Resonno — who was not invited to the combine — strain his quad while running the 40-yard dash and thought better of it.

Hamilton doesn’t foresee a scenario where he would not go for it again on the 15th, though. Same goes for Jackson, who opted to run routes and catch passes Thursday but also wants another crack at the 40-yard dash.

“I’m a low 4.4 guy man,” said Jackson, who ran a 4.53 at the combine. “I should be a lot better here … a lot more comfortable.”

• Other players in attendance included tight end Beau Brinkley, defensive back Trey Hobson, offensive lineman Dan Hoch, linebacker Luke Lambert, offensive lineman Jayson Palmgren, offensive lineman Austin Wuebbels and Resonno. Wuebbels did not run the 40-yard dash because of a strained hamstring.

• Junior linebacker Zaviar Gooden — who was one of several juniors to run the 40-yard dash when the seniors were done — said a pro scout timed him at a blistering 4.36 seconds

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/03/01/3462883/egnew-backs-up-performance-at.html

Tribal Warfare
03-01-2012, 11:31 PM
I have to agree, Egnew was one of the guys was keeping my eye on during this offseason, and he certainly didn't disappoint.

KCrockaholic
03-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Out of all the Mizzou guys, he has the best chance to be a solid player. And I would also say he has better pro characteristics than past guys like Rucker or Coffman. Egnew is built like a TE, and he can learn how to block if needed. It's just a matter of how he's used really. Guys like Graham and Hernandez are almost never asked to block, and they are looked at as high quality players. Maybe they aren't well rounded players, but they make plays.

Direckshun
03-02-2012, 01:27 AM
I wouldn't spend much more than a fifth on him, personally.

Ebolapox
03-02-2012, 09:53 AM
martin rucker and chase coffman aren't doing him any favors--both looked great coming out, neither has done much.