PDA

View Full Version : Football 2012 Salary cap might be going up.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-03-2012, 11:58 AM
A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com the league and NFLPA are "scrambling" to increase the 2012 salary cap.
Provisions in the new CBA have left teams with less cap space than they were anticipating, prompting the NFLPA to seek to "re-do the numbers." The league has apparently shown a "certain amount of willingness" to cooperate with the effort because it "doesn’t want the players to think they got a bad deal." A resolution is expected within the next 10 days.

chiefqueen
03-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Mo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for Manning?????????

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Reighters get out your checkbook

ILikeBigTiddys
03-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Anybody else think the Tapatalk popup is highly annoying! It was ok at first but now it pops up all the damn time.

ChiefGator
03-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Seems like it would be better if this didn't happen, since we are one of very few teams sitting pretty cap-wise.

chefsos
03-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Seems like it would be better if this didn't happen, since we are one of very few teams sitting pretty cap-wise.That's my view, too. Maybe I'm biased due to our cap situation but the teams (and players) who are only now surprised by this CBA, can just pack sand.

loochy
03-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Now we can sign Carr

stonedstooge
03-03-2012, 04:30 PM
It would be nice to know how much cap space the Chiefs really have. Pioli stating there are over $30 million in escalators and bonus money doesn't cut it for me. The national media still reports Kansas City at over 60 million

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Now we can sign Carr

Nah, Jerry asked the NFL for a little more wiggle room to go after his prized FA Corner target and the NFL obliged.

jd1020
03-03-2012, 04:35 PM
It would be nice to know how much cap space the Chiefs really have. Pioli stating there are over $30 million in escalators and bonus money doesn't cut it for me. The national media still reports Kansas City at over 60 million

We do know how much cap space the Chiefs have, assuming a ~120M cap.

The 60M figure was base salaries.

37M includes the 25M in bonuses/escalators, Pioli confirmed this number. We signed Routt to just under 7M so we are sitting around 30M right now.

If you choose to ignore that information then thats on you.

loochy
03-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Nah, Jerry asked the NFL for a little more wiggle room to go after his prized FA Corner target and the NFL obliged.

Well then how about we sign Bowe to a huge contract and tag Carr just to stick it to Jerry?

whoman69
03-03-2012, 04:41 PM

I think I trust the national media over an organization that has a vested interest in thinking it has less to spend to keep down the fans' hopes of getting FAs.

stonedstooge
03-03-2012, 04:57 PM
kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-​chiefs/2012/2/21/... - Cached
Here is Pioli's precise explanation of monies available to the Chiefs.

whoman69
03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-​chiefs/2012/2/21/... - Cached
Here is Pioli's precise explanation of monies available to the Chiefs.

I consider it propoganda even though your link doesn't work. The Chiefs want to keep expectations down in case they don't sign many FAs or can't resign their own people, so they're going to give us a low cap number. Doesn't jibe with info from independent sources.

ClevelandBronco
03-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Anybody else think the Tapatalk popup is highly annoying! It was ok at first but now it pops up all the damn time.

Only people with bolded names should complain about AC's attempts to pay for this place.

MoreLemonPledge
03-03-2012, 07:17 PM
SWEET. Now the Chiefs can roll over even more cap to next year.

whoman69
03-03-2012, 07:42 PM
SWEET. Now the Chiefs can roll over even more cap to next year.

My guess is they won't even use the rollover they have for this year.

-King-
03-03-2012, 07:43 PM
I consider it propoganda even though your link doesn't work. The Chiefs want to keep expectations down in case they don't sign many FAs or can't resign their own people, so they're going to give us a low cap number. Doesn't jibe with info from independent sources.

Are you being serious right now?
Posted via Mobile Device

whoman69
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Are you being serious right now?
Posted via Mobile Device

Absolutely. Why does every other source out there say the Chiefs have close to $60million on the cap and the Chiefs say we only have a third of that?

Dr. Gigglepants
03-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Absolutely. Why does every other source out there say the Chiefs have close to $60million on the cap and the Chiefs say we only have a third of that?

Pioli was on the radio last week or the week before and said that the official numbers hadn't been crunched yet, i.e. all the crazy bonuses and incentives and crap. That is the 30 plus million that has to be taken off of the 60 plus million we have. I think when it comes out we will be 27 million under, if I am remembering right.

I took no steps to verify the numbers I just stated, they are just what I remember. The point is, Pioli probably isn't going to go to the local media and blatantly lie to them. This is public information, it would be pretty easy to prove that. Why would he do that?

-King-
03-04-2012, 12:03 AM

Because those sources haven't accounted for roster bonuses and all other escalators.

aturnis
03-04-2012, 12:13 AM
That's my view, too. Maybe I'm biased due to our cap situation but the teams (and players) who are only now surprised by this CBA, can just pack sand.

With all of the one year contracts signed last year, and the guys who will be getting cut to free up room, these players have to get paid by someone. You know the teams way under aren't going to go crazy, that's not how they got into their ideal situations. So, somethings got to give.

aturnis
03-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Because those sources haven't accounted for roster bonuses and all other escalators.

Exactly. Chiefs players earned over 24 million dollars in bonuses, incentives and escalators that will count against this years cap. So, as of right now, until the players earn their incentives this season which will count against next year's cap, you can assume we'll have another 24 million in the cap space next season.

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Conspiracy Planet!!!

whoman69
03-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Pioli was on the radio last week or the week before and said that the official numbers hadn't been crunched yet, i.e. all the crazy bonuses and incentives and crap. That is the 30 plus million that has to be taken off of the 60 plus million we have. I think when it comes out we will be 27 million under, if I am remembering right.

I took no steps to verify the numbers I just stated, they are just what I remember. The point is, Pioli probably isn't going to go to the local media and blatantly lie to them. This is public information, it would be pretty easy to prove that. Why would he do that?

Its not public info. The Chiefs policy has always been that they do not publish player contract details. There is no freedom of information act dealing with NFL contracts.

stonedstooge
03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
The salary floor was implemented in the new CBA because of the Chiefs, and I believe Tampa Bay was mentioned, NOT spending money assigned for player salaries.

Dr. Gigglepants
03-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Its not public info. The Chiefs policy has always been that they do not publish player contract details. There is no freedom of information act dealing with NFL contracts.

You're right. I didn't hear Scott pioli himself on the radio discussing this very topic, where he mentioned escalators and certain players by name, and gave out specific numbers that count against that 60 million number and then went on to tell exactly what the number would be after the escalators and everything else were worked out. That would have been against team policy to discuss the secretive world of NFL contracts.

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/kc/
Posted via Mobile Device

stonedstooge
03-04-2012, 01:48 PM
You're right. I didn't hear Scott pioli himself on the radio discussing this very topic, where he mentioned escalators and certain players by name, and gave out specific numbers that count against that 60 million number and then went on to tell exactly what the number would be after the escalators and everything else were worked out. That would have been against team policy to discuss the secretive world of NFL contracts.

Posted via Mobile Device

You have a link to Pioli's comments? All I can find are comments that are generalized and not specific

whoman69
03-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Doesn't mean he has to tell the truth. If this team doesn't spend this year, he has the excuse set in that he had no cap room to work with. I find it very hard to believe that everybody missed that much money in bonuses. Everyone reported it was the Chiefs and the Bucs that had the most cap room and that it was those teams for whom the salary floor was created. We have $27 million in cap space moving forward from last year and its already gone? You're too trusting to a secretive organization that cares more about gum wrappers than putting a quality team on the field that has a vested interest in lowered expectations. This is the same team that was ok with Matt Cassel being the starting QB until the shit came down the fans would revolt. Proof is going to be in the team we see on the field this year. If we put up a wannabe like Henne against Cassel this year, it will be proof enough for me that Pioli has zero credibility.

Consistent1
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Yes, it is stupid IMO. Have no interest in it. My favorite way to post on boards these days is on my tab with Swype. Rather do that than type. If people want freakin' Tapatalk, they already know about it.

Dr. Gigglepants
03-04-2012, 03:08 PM
You have a link to Pioli's comments? All I can find are comments that are generalized and not specific

There is what I have, AP has some quotes from the interview in the below article. Pioli doesn't mention players by name, but does say that the 63 will be reduced by 25 which will leave us with 38. Other people on this board were talking about specific players and even knew the exact amount that they were were getting to make up that 25.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/2/21/2814074/kc-chiefs-salary-cap-explained

Okie_Apparition
03-10-2012, 09:54 PM
2012 cap expected to be $120.6 million
Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2012, 10:43 PM EST

It was getting lonely being the one of the only outlets writing anything about the whereabouts of the 2012 salary cap. FOXs Jay Glazer, who has been cranking out more scoops lately than a creamery worker on meth, says via Twitter that hes hearing the number, when unveiled on Monday, will be $120.6 million per team.

Thats not much of an increase at all over the 2011 amount, $120.375 million.

At a time when the NFL continues to see increased popularity and revenue, an essentially flat cap seems odd, to say the least.

As weve been told, unexpected increases in benefits held the cap down. Another factor is the return of the performance-based pay system, which sets aside $3.46 million per team that otherwise would boost the salary cap. Some league insiders believe that this specific payment, which gives significant payment to players with low salaries but extensive playing time, was omitted in 2011 in order to keep the cap on the right side of $120 million.