PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs You don't want a tag for Carr

Mr_Tomahawk
03-05-2012, 10:12 AM
You don't want a tag for Carr

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1972

Whether you agree with their decision or you don't, the Chiefs made their choice on Brandon Carr the minute they signed Stanford Routt. But I'm still getting questions from fans wondering whether the Chiefs might make Carr their franchise player if they can get Dwayne Bowe signed by this afternoon.
Anything is possible, but that move wouldn't make any sense. The Chiefs have a lot of money tied up in their cornerbacks already. Flowers has a cap number of $8 million. Routt is somewhere north of $6 million. So now they're going to chew up another $10.6 million to franchise Carr?

Here's the thing about having a lot of cap room tied up in cornerbacks: Opposing offenses can dictate how much some of them can play. If the offense sees the strength of an opposing defense is in its cornerbacks, it can guarantee only two of them play by using plenty of two-back or two-tight end formations. And at these prices, Flowers, Routt or Carr would be making too much for the Chiefs to have them on their bench for much of a game
The Chiefs recently had $37 million of cap room, but that was before they signed Routt. Bowe would cost more than $10 million against the cap on a multi-year deal. Carr would cost $10.6 million.

Suddenly, there's not much left for a quarterback and other offensive player not to mention draft picks.

So while I respect Carr as a player as much as anyone, Chiefs fans need to understand he's more valuable now to some other NFL team than he is to the Chiefs. The chances of him returning, whether Bowe is the franchise player or not, are not good.

And if it somehow happens the Chiefs make Carr their franchise player, you should be unhappy because the Chiefs wouldn't be using very good salary cap management.

Read more here: http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1972#storylink=cpy

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 10:14 AM
he is right.

The Bad Guy
03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
He may have a point, but if they get Bowe signed, you absolutely use the tag on Carr.

philfree
So he can't be tagged and traded?

suds79
Where's he getting that 37 mil number? What about the cap space that you can roll over into this year?

We've heard reports of around 60 mil under the cap.

Anybody know exactly how that works?

philfree
03-05-2012, 10:16 AM
He may have a point, but if they get Bowe signed, you absolutely use the tag on Carr.

That's what I would think.

el borracho
Presumably, it would be a tag and trade- not a tag and retain at 10million.

Mr_Tomahawk
THAT was post #5k for me... :facepalm:

Deberg_1990
get out of here with this BS!!! Common Sense has no place on Chiefsplanet.

Chiefnj2
People who don't understand the salary cap shouldn't write about it.

Sofa King
03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Where's he getting that 37 mil number? What about the cap space that you can roll over into this year?

That was before a bunch more stuff came off. achieved incentives, rookie pay for this year, etc..

DJ's left nut
03-05-2012, 10:18 AM
he is right.

No he isn't.

It's a 1-year deal in a year where we have insane amounts of cap space forwarded from last season (i.e. cap space we don't want to lock in long-term because it won't be there soon).

And Routt is on a very reasonable deal; his signing bonus was only $4 million.

So give Carr the tag and if Routt busts this year as a Nickle, you can cut him lose with only a slight acceleration of the signing bonus to the cap (especially if done after June 1) and you can roll with Carr as your #2 again in 2013 with no worries as to Rout.

Or if Carr refuses to sign long-term, you can either deal him or let him go next season and run with Routt as your #2.

There's nothing wrong with using the tag on Carr.

MIAdragon
03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
he is right.

No he's not.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 10:20 AM
No he isn't.

It's a 1-year deal in a year where we have insane amounts of cap space forwarded from last season (i.e. cap space we don't want to lock in long-term because it won't be there soon).

So give Carr the tag and if Routt busts this year as a Nickle, you can cut him lose with only a slight acceleration of the signing bonus to the cap (especially if done after June 1) and you can roll with Carr as your #2 again in 2013 with no worries as to Rout.

Or if Carr refuses to sign long-term, you can either deal him or let him go next season and run with Routt as your #2.

AFTER routt chiefs have 30m 10m for bowe 10m for carr and you need to save 5m for draft picks..... You got 5m to play with now.

Hog Farmer
03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
He's not right and he sucks. I don't give a flying fuck about the money, there's enough to sign Carr, Manning ane 4 more FA's . Keeping Carr would make our secondary fucking awesome with Berry, flowers , rout , Carr.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 10:23 AM
He's not right and he sucks. I don't give a flying **** about the money, there's enough to sign Carr, Manning ane 4 more FA's . Keeping Carr would make our secondary ****ing awesome with Berry, flowers , rout , Carr.

So wrong

the Talking Can
03-05-2012, 10:25 AM
oh, it's teicher...that explains it

Brainiac
03-05-2012, 10:25 AM
He's not right and he sucks. I don't give a flying **** about the money, there's enough to sign Carr, Manning ane 4 more FA's . Keeping Carr would make our secondary ****ing awesome with Berry, flowers , rout , Carr.
If we spend all of our cap space on defensive backs, there's no money left for another quarterback.

I guess you're fine with Matt Cassel as long as we have a nifty defensive backfield?

Deberg_1990
03-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Its a good thing Pioli signed Hugh Douglas and Ed Hartwell to shore up the D.

ct
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
AFTER routt chiefs have 30m 10m for bowe 10m for carr and you need to save 5m for draft picks..... You got 5m to play with now.

This assumes you leave the 1 year tag amount as 2012 cap number, which is likely not the case.

Once you sign long term, there are any number of ways to lower this year's cap hit. Spread the signing bonus over the entire length of contract, define the actual base salaries lower towards the front of the contract, and you could be looking at only $5M cap numbers for each of these guys, or maybe even less. So yes, it is very possible to keep Bowe and Carr, and not have a "real" $100M tied up to 3 CBs. The media loves to make a big freakin deal out of this type of stuff, but it's not real $ man. It's the media selling papers or website ads to flunkies who don't understand what's really hitting the annual cap.

Molitoth
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
If you plan on spending big money on Peyton Manning or other big Free Agents then you let Carr walk. If there is no intention of signing Manning by Pioli, then he surely needs to tag Carr.

Tuckdaddy
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM

I agree. If by some miracle we sign Bowe before 3 then you tag Carr. Stupid would be to let him just walk.

TheGuardian
03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
That article was dumb.

If Bowe is signed today hell yes you use the franchise tag on Carr. Even if you don't plan on keeping him for the season. If this team REALLY is serious about trading up to get RGIII then you trade Carr to the Cowpokes, who are going to go after him hard, and use the picks you get from that so you don't fuck your whole draft.

See, this is what I mean by being smart about taking a QB. If you have EXTRA, you can go get him. But you don't give up your whole draft for him.

COchief
03-05-2012, 10:42 AM
I can never understand how there is so much stupidity around this subject everytime there is a thread on it, it think it should be fairly simple:

The second we signed Routt, Carr was gone. We already have a very capable nickel and the rookie from CO showed promise last year. The team is not going to spend that much on one position for Flowers, Routt, Carr, and Arenas. Now what is really going to piss me off is if Pioli fuggs this up and Carr walks for nothing, he is an ascending young player with all the tools to continue to be an excellent corner for 7-10 years. He is worth at minimum a late first/high second round pick with a tag and trade. If we get nothing because Pioli is dicking around with Bowe and not paying him what he's worth, then we essentially just throw a late 1st in the garbage to save a few bucks. This all seems pretty straight forward to me and it's looking like Pioli is going to fugg it up unless we hear of a Bowe signing soon.

TEX
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
You don't want a tag for Carr

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1972

Whether you agree with their decision or you don't, the Chiefs made their choice on Brandon Carr the minute they signed Stanford Routt. But I'm still getting questions from fans wondering whether the Chiefs might make Carr their franchise player if they can get Dwayne Bowe signed by this afternoon.
Anything is possible, but that move wouldn't make any sense. The Chiefs have a lot of money tied up in their cornerbacks already. Flowers has a cap number of $8 million. Routt is somewhere north of $6 million. So now they're going to chew up another $10.6 million to franchise Carr?

Here's the thing about having a lot of cap room tied up in cornerbacks: Opposing offenses can dictate how much some of them can play. If the offense sees the strength of an opposing defense is in its cornerbacks, it can guarantee only two of them play by using plenty of two-back or two-tight end formations. And at these prices, Flowers, Routt or Carr would be making too much for the Chiefs to have them on their bench for much of a game
The Chiefs recently had $37 million of cap room, but that was before they signed Routt. Bowe would cost more than $10 million against the cap on a multi-year deal. Carr would cost $10.6 million.

Suddenly, there's not much left for a quarterback and other offensive player not to mention draft picks.

So while I respect Carr as a player as much as anyone, Chiefs fans need to understand he's more valuable now to some other NFL team than he is to the Chiefs. The chances of him returning, whether Bowe is the franchise player or not, are not good.

And if it somehow happens the Chiefs make Carr their franchise player, you should be unhappy because the Chiefs wouldn't be using very good salary cap management.

Read more here: http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/1972#storylink=cpy

Routt is NOT worth $6MIL - Carr IS worth it and more. People should look at this not like Carr is going to cost $MORE, but rather that it would just be a few more $MIL than what they paid Routt. They had the $$$ for just this type of scenario. This is a step backwards IMO. :banghead:

COchief
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Routt is NOT worth $6MIL - Carr IS worth $10MIL. KC should have signed Carr. People should look at this not like Carr is going to cost $10MIL, but rather that it would just be a few more $MIL than what they paid Routt. They had the $$$ for just this type of scenario. This is a step backeards. :banghead:

They should have just signed Carr to a long term deal, but the second Routt was signed it seemed pretty obvious he was gone. The question is will Pioli get anything for him or not?

Nightfyre
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Routt is NOT worth $6MIL - Carr IS worth $10MIL. KC should have signed Carr. People should look at this not like Carr is going to cost $10MIL, but rather that it would just be a few more $MIL than what they paid Routt. They had the $$$ for just this type of scenario. This is a step backeards. :banghead:

Its not like Carr had to compulsorily sign here. Signing Routt is a good move to literally "cover" your assets. He can be cut, if necessary for a small cap hit as the bulk of his contract is a roster bonus.

Mr. Laz
03-05-2012, 10:55 AM
he's more valuable now to some other NFL team than he is to the Chiefs.
ROFL

typical idiot Chiefs' fan

They have found a way to say this about virtually every Chiefs player since i can remember when the talk of a trade has come up.

If you really want to be good you find a way to make enough temporary cap space to tag/trade him even if that draft pick compensation comes in next year's draft.

which one of you stupid ****s is Adam Teicher?

remember this is the same moron who went around talking about how Donnell Bennett was a legit NFL starter.

:facepalm:

DaKCMan AP
03-05-2012, 11:00 AM
remember this is the same moron who went around talking about how Donnell Bennett was a legit NFL starter.

KCJ?

Micjones
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
If Bowe is signed in time you tag Carr...then trade him.

philfree
03-05-2012, 11:01 AM
KCJ?

He was RBbc.

Chieftain58
03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Sign both of them!

Saul Good
03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Wouldn't we get a compensatory pick if he walks?

Nightfyre
03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't we get a compensatory pick if he walks?

Potentially. Have to lose more qualifying players than we gain. I hope we sign a couple more impact FA, which would result in us not getting a comp pick.

Mr. Laz
03-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Wouldn't we get a compensatory pick if he walks?Compensation is figured out as a team total

if we don't acquire talent in FA to offset the lose. We already have acquire Routt which offsets the possible loss by some and if we sign Manning in free agency i doubt there would be any compensation as a total team.

addition Manning
addition Wayne
addition Routt

subtraction Bowe
subtraction Carr

not very much compensation, if any.

jd1020
03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Compensation is figured out as a team total

if we don't acquire talent in FA to offset the lose. We already have acquire Routt which offsets the possible loss by some and if we sign Manning in free agency i doubt there would be any compensation as a total team.

Unless I'm mistaken, Routt will not count since he wasn't a FA signing.

DJ's left nut
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Routt is NOT worth $6MIL - Carr IS worth it and more. People should look at this not like Carr is going to cost $MORE, but rather that it would just be a few more $MIL than what they paid Routt. They had the $$$ for just this type of scenario. This is a step backwards IMO. :banghead:

Actually, Routt probably is worth $6 million.

2 years ago, he absolutely earned that figure as a #2 corner. And there are metrics that suggest he was a better raw coverage guy than Carr last year.

Routt's contract is actually a very reasonable one given the new tilt of the CBA towards veteran players. Let's not barbecue Routt as a worthless POS just because he's probably the reason Carr's going to be let go. Routt is a high quality NFL cornerback. There will be few teams in the league that have a better #2 corner than Stanford Routt.

Could the Chiefs have been one of them? Yup, but chose not to be. In a vacuum, without the spectre of the Carr loss, the Routt contract is a pretty good one for a guy that's actually a solid football player.

KCrockaholic
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM

QFT

Mr. Laz
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM

Really? How is Routt not a free agent?

He doesn't count as a loss by the faiders because he was cut but i still figured he counts as an addition for us.

KCrockaholic
03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Really? How is Routt not a free agent?

He doesn't count as a lose by the faiders because he was cut but i still figure he counts as an addition for us.

Routt was not a free agent to begin the new year, he was cut and signed.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Compensation is figured out as a team total

addition Manning
addition Wayne
addition Routt

subtraction Bowe
subtraction Carr

not very much compensation, if any.

Manning not coming here

Mr. Laz
Routt was not a free agent to begin the new year, he was cut and signed.
isn't every player not under contract a free agent except for pending draft pick signees?

Mr. Laz
Manning not coming here
go fuck yourself

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
go **** yourself

dumbass

MIAdragon
Manning not coming here

tweet pls.

KCrockaholic
isn't every player not under contract a free agent except for pending draft pick signees?

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/2/21/2813686/kansas-city-chiefs-free-agency-compensatory-pick

But there is a strategy involved here and the Chiefs know it. Someone like Stanford Routt is not one of the "qualifying" free agents that could cancel our Carr because he was cut by the Oakland Raiders and not a true unrestricted free agent. He's just a player they signed and has no impact on this.

Dave Lane
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Does the transitional tag not exist anymore? We could tag him and get something out of it.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Does the transitional tag not exist anymore? We could tag him and get something out of it.

Only use one tag a year all the Transitional tag does is give u 7 days to match offer you get no picks if you don't match it.

BryanBusby
03-05-2012, 11:18 AM

I think they did away with those. Even if they still were around, it means the Chiefs just have an opportunity to match an offer than another team throws out and they'd only get something in return if they matched and he still left.

E: Ah, so they aren't gone but they pretty much should be considered dead.

DaKCMan AP
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/2/21/2813686/kansas-city-chiefs-free-agency-compensatory-pick

The same would qualify for Manning, no (since he'd be cut)?

Mr. Laz

wow ... interesting, hope they are right.

whoman69

Simple, Pioli put out the low number to drive down expectations.

KCrockaholic
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
The same would qualify for Manning, no (since he'd be cut)?

Yes.

I mean, correct.

Mr. Laz
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM
dumbass

where's the hashtag?

Saul Good
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Actually, Routt probably is worth $6 million.

2 years ago, he absolutely earned that figure as a #2 corner. And there are metrics that suggest he was a better raw coverage guy than Carr last year.

Routt's contract is actually a very reasonable one given the new tilt of the CBA towards veteran players. Let's not barbecue Routt as a worthless POS just because he's probably the reason Carr's going to be let go. Routt is a high quality NFL cornerback. There will be few teams in the league that have a better #2 corner than Stanford Routt.

Could the Chiefs have been one of them? Yup, but chose not to be. In a vacuum, without the spectre of the Carr loss, the Routt contract is a pretty good one for a guy that's actually a solid football player.

That's where I am on this situation. Carr is going to be a #1 corner where he signs. Do we really need to pay him more to be our #2 than anyone else is willing to pay him to be their #1?

jjchieffan
03-05-2012, 11:26 AM
How do they know what Bowe's cap hit would be if we re-signed him. A cap friendly deal for say 5 years, $50 mil for example could include a $20 mil signing bonus and only $1million for this year giving Bowe a $5mil cap hit for this year. And for the record, I am not saying that a deal like that is realistic, just throwing out some numbers for an example.

jd1020
03-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Simple, Pioli put out the low number to drive down expectations.

JFC. Grab a calculator and add up all of the base salaries still on the roster. You'll come out to around 80M. Now assume a 120M cap and add the 20M rolled over.

Whats the number?

durtyrute
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Actually, I DO want to tag Carr.

Mr. Laz
03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
How do they know what Bowe's cap hit would be if we re-signed him. A cap friendly deal for say 5 years, $50 mil for example could include a $20 mil signing bonus and only $1million for this year giving Bowe a $5mil cap hit for this year. And for the record, I am not saying that a deal like that is realistic, just throwing out some numbers for an example.
They don't know and they aren't allowing for any creative cap maneuvering either to free up cap room.

KCrockaholic
03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
JFC. Grab a calculator and add up all of the base salaries still on the roster. You'll come out to around 80M. Now assume a 120M cap and add the 20M rolled over.

Whats the number?

But the escalators.

jd1020
03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
But the escalators.

I know.

I'm explaining where that 60M figure came from to the handicap who want to believe that Pioli made up the 37M.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Chris Wesseling‏@ChrisWesselingReply
Retweet

From @greggrosenthal article: "Unconfirmed rumors at the NFL Scouting Combine that Manning already was zeroed in on the #Dolphins."

KCrockaholic
03-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Retweet

From @greggrosenthal article: "Unconfirmed rumors at the NFL Scouting Combine that Manning already was zeroed in on the #Dolphins."

Well if it's an "unconfirmed rumor", then it's just a bag of bullshit. It doesn't actually have any substance. It's a lie.

InChiefsHell
03-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Well if it's an "unconfirmed rumor", then it's just a bag of bullshit. It doesn't actually have any substance. It's a lie.

Unconfirmed rumors...I mean, why bother even saying anything. If I state outloud that the Chiefs are going to do whatever it takes to draft RGIII, it could be reported as an unconfirmed rumor...

...shit, the offseason insanity apparently doesn't just exist on the Planet...

Micjones
03-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Retweet

That's not even a good unconfirmed rumor.
I mean...Miami? Really?

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I reject the theory that you can have too many good players at one position. Especially on a team so far under the cap.

DaKCMan AP
03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Hans Inmipantz‏@HansInmipantzReply
Retweet

From @hughbonar article: "Unconfirmed rumors at the NFL Scouting Combine that Manning already was zeroed in on the #Chiefs."

KCrockaholic
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Retweet

From @hughbonar article: "Unconfirmed rumors at the NFL Scouting Combine that Manning already was zeroed in on the #Chiefs."

Much better. See this one is probably true, just because.

jd1020
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Retweet

R of a R.

Guru
03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
3pm can't get here soon enough.

jd1020
03-05-2012, 12:28 PM
3pm can't get here soon enough.

Even if it comes sooner than Pioli predicted and we tag no one?

Chiefnj2
03-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I still like the fact that nothing gets out of Arrowhead unless Pioli wants it to.

CoMoChief
03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
No he isn't.

great post. i get confused on this kinda shit.

Direckshun
03-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Retweet

"Hugh Bonar."

There is no chance this is an actual story, right? Help me out, people.

Direckshun
03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
"Hugh Bonar."

Let's all pretend this post never existed.

I r n idiot.

Extra Point
03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
"Hugh Bonar."

Don't know if he got it straight. PTP

Valiant
03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
This assumes you leave the 1 year tag amount as 2012 cap number, which is likely not the case.

Once you sign long term, there are any number of ways to lower this year's cap hit. Spread the signing bonus over the entire length of contract, define the actual base salaries lower towards the front of the contract, and you could be looking at only $5M cap numbers for each of these guys, or maybe even less. So yes, it is very possible to keep Bowe and Carr, and not have a "real" $100M tied up to 3 CBs. The media loves to make a big freakin deal out of this type of stuff, but it's not real $ man. It's the media selling papers or website ads to flunkies who don't understand what's really hitting the annual cap.

This,

Fail so far, egoli had plenty of time to sign bowe.

Letting carr go for nothing is beyond stupid with our cap situation.

Man, I was hoping for a happy start of the FA season, now I am wondering if the good players don't want to deal with egoli.

O.city
03-05-2012, 05:14 PM
CP needs to realize that this isn't all on Pioli.

If Carr wanted Revis money, you guys givin him that?

Or Bowe wanting Fitz money?

These decisions have to be made with no emotion, it's a business.

the Talking Can
03-05-2012, 05:18 PM
CP needs to realize that this isn't all on Pioli.

If Carr wanted Revis money, you guys givin him that?

Or Bowe wanting Fitz money?

These decisions have to be made with no emotion, it's a business.

so Clark has been cheap for years in order to not sign anyone because they're just too darn expensive?

is what we're supposed to believe?

O.city
03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Pretty much.

Micjones
03-05-2012, 05:39 PM
so Clark has been cheap for years in order to not sign anyone because they're just too darn expensive?

is what we're supposed to believe?

Hali, Flowers, Johnson and Charles.
Seriously?