PDA

View Full Version : Football Franchise tag, cap room question

Mr. Laz
03-05-2012, 10:33 AM
If the player doesn't sign the franchise tag offer, does the franchise amount still count against the team cap?

jd1020
03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
He's going to sign it at some point and it's guaranteed money.

BryanBusby
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Does not count until the offer is actually signed, but basically they would have to be prepared for him to sign at any moment so they will consider that space gone.

ChiefsandO'sfan
03-05-2012, 10:37 AM
If the player doesn't sign the franchise tag offer, does the franchise amount still count against the team cap?

Yes it counts even if the players doesn't sign it.

Mr. Laz
03-05-2012, 10:38 AM
He's going to sign it at some point and it's guaranteed money.

but if a few months go by before he does sign it?

for instance, if we tag Bowe or Carr and they don't sign it, can we use that cap room to sign Manning etc before having to make room for them when they do sign it?

Okie_Apparition
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
If I was Bowe or Carr I would rather be tagged
Then to sign a deal & get traded somewhere I may not want to be

Guru
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
If I was Bowe or Carr I would rather be tagged
Then to sign a deal & get traded somewhere I may not want to be

They can still be traded if they get tagged.

Okie_Apparition
03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
They would have to work out a contract with the new team if tagged
Which they could balk at
I guess if a sign then trade was made they could refuse to go

-King-
03-05-2012, 11:47 AM
but if a few months go by before he does sign it?

for instance, if we tag Bowe or Carr and they don't sign it, can we use that cap room to sign Manning etc before having to make room for them when they do sign it?

Mike Florio was talking about something like this the other day. I think the money isn't officially off the cap until the tag is signed, but teams still have to act like it's off even if it hasn't been signed yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Mike Florio was talking about something like this the other day. I think the money isn't officially off the cap until the tag is signed, but teams still have to act like it's off even if it hasn't been signed yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

This.

Once the player is tagged the money is off the cap until he's signed the franchise agreement, traded, or agreed to something else.

Not that it in any way hinders us...